PDA

View Full Version : Deceiving the enemy... persay....

TOOTHPICK
07-06-2012, 10:53 PM
I was thinking, when SHTF a lot of people will be looting and ransacking homes. In that event, I obviously wouldn't want my home trashed.

What if you had extra clothes, like the ones your wife/hubby puts in garbage bags to "donate" or give to someone, laying around? why not string them all over your yard?

What if you spray painted your house with a bunch of random things, broke a few UN-important windows and make it look like it was "vandalized"?

I have fake windows on my roof, kinda like a fake 2nd story. I would kick those in so the curtains blow around as if the windows were busted.

Basically, what I'm asking is, has anyone else thought about this? In the event that you have to bug in for a period of time, would this be something that would work? Would this be enough to deter someone from trying to come in and loot?:confused:

Dropy
07-06-2012, 11:55 PM
well...it would help i think.

Echo2
07-07-2012, 12:07 AM
I fully expect that my house will be violated in our absence....the neighbor definitely wont do anything to protect it.

I'll probably come back to shell......if I ever come back.

ladyhk13
07-07-2012, 12:11 AM
But would making it look like there are things to steal (clothes lying around) and a house that is easy to get into or unlived in (broken windows) make your house an easy target for them to come and move right in? Me, I'm looking at big signs that say NO TRESSPASSING OR YOU WILL BE SHOT and my dog that barks like hell when anyone comes near the place. Game warden already told us to just shoot anyone that comes on the land (dh offered to cuff them to a tree and call them, the guy said just go ahead and shoot 'em) so heck, why bother trying to get someone out to the middle of nowhere? I'm not trashing my house so some jerk can come and take everything. They are going to have to fight for it. My lawn might not get mowed by mechanical means but that's what the animals are for. Maybe that's a military viewpoint vs a civilian one?

Echo2
07-07-2012, 12:20 AM
But would making it look like there are things to steal (clothes lying around) and a house that is easy to get into or unlived in (broken windows) make your house an easy target for them to come and move right in? Me, I'm looking at big signs that say NO TRESSPASSING OR YOU WILL BE SHOT and my dog that barks like hell when anyone comes near the place. Game warden already told us to just shoot anyone that comes on the land (dh offered to cuff them to a tree and call them, the guy said just go ahead and shoot 'em) so heck, why bother trying to get someone out to the middle of nowhere? I'm not trashing my house so some jerk can come and take everything. They are going to have to fight for it. My lawn might not get mowed by mechanical means but that's what the animals are for. Maybe that's a military viewpoint vs a civilian one?

Most folks are one Molotov cocktail away from an eviction....and you have to sleep.....hordes can be vengeful....I'm just saying...

ladyhk13
07-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Most folks are one Molotov cocktail away from an eviction....and you have to sleep.....hordes can be vengeful....I'm just saying...

Well the property we bought and are working on will be pretty damn hard for anyone to get to. We are totally landlocked with MadMax gates belonging to the other landowners that have to be gotten through before they will even ever figure out we are out there. I'm trying to figure out who to talk to in order to make arrangements for helo landing for emergency services because if something happened to one of us and the other had to stay there is no way for EMS to get to us other than by chopper. There will be a few people that know we are out there but if they aren't from that specific area (Waaaaaay out there) they won't even know to come. That was the whole point of buying that property. Plus with 241 acres I think it gives us a pretty good buffer.

Echo2
07-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Well the property we bought and are working on will be pretty damn hard for anyone to get to. We are totally landlocked with MadMax gates belonging to the other landowners that have to be gotten through before they will even ever figure out we are out there. I'm trying to figure out who to talk to in order to make arrangements for helo landing for emergency services because if something happened to one of us and the other had to stay there is no way for EMS to get to us other than by chopper. There will be a few people that know we are out there but if they aren't from that specific area (Waaaaaay out there) they won't even know to come. That was the whole point of buying that property. Plus with 241 acres I think it gives us a pretty good buffer.

Don't get me wrong....I'm down with what you're saying....Our BOL is by design a hard target too.

Basically how many times are you going to poke a stick into the hornets nest before you move on to a softer target.....if you get my drift.

We have many acres ahead and beside us....and 30k behind in national forest.

You will have to be looking to find us.....and the vantage point from the "God spot"...(LPOP)....will give us a bit of heads up....

You have seen the sign.."if you can read this...you are in range"......we mean it...:)

apssbc
07-07-2012, 03:42 AM
If I had to stay in my house for some reason I probably would do this just as an extra layer of people being lazy and passing the already stripped house. Of course if I'm still there chances are there will be a muzzle pointed their direction of they wander too close.

My scenario being a bug out in many cases...I'll be taking my items with me that I need and I dont care about everything else. Chances are I won't be back.

Everything is situation dependent.

ak474u
07-07-2012, 05:48 PM

My parents built their retirement home with helicopter evac in mind... They left a 300x300 open, flat pad of mowed natural grasses that starts about 60 feet from the house, no trees, no bushes, no nothin, and its the only spot within a mile or so, including the culdesac, that has 100% clearance due to underground vs. aerial power lines. It's also the septic drain field, but it serves very well as a pad. My moms friend is a lt. colonel in the air evac unit for TX ANG, and she invited him to a housewarming party at the house, he said he'd come if he could bring his "friends". My mom said she had a surprise... A HMMV showed up, and minutes later, a Blackhawk showed up and landed in the yard. His guys gave my mom the coordinates of that spot, and she put it on the back of all the house phones with a labeling machine. I bought them 4 battery operated strobes with yellow/red/clear lenses, and told my mom where to put them if they needed a helicopter. In theory, they could call 911 and tell them the coordinates. My mom is a nurse, neighbor is an ER doc, and sister is a nurse practitioner, so a quick diagnosis would be easy. It's convincing TPTB to take you serious when you say you need a helicopter that would be hard IMHO.

Katrina
07-08-2012, 01:45 AM
I have to stay put, family will be heading here but we are the front of subdivision and someone had the idea of posting infectious disease quarantine signs around and having a few bodies around to look like the plague or something was in our house.

ladyhk13
07-08-2012, 07:05 AM
I have to stay put, family will be heading here but we are the front of subdivision and someone had the idea of posting infectious disease quarantine signs around and having a few bodies around to look like the plague or something was in our house.

I hope they aren't real bodies since they will start to decomp and that is how diseases start and spread. Pull out the Holloween dummies.

Kodiak
07-14-2012, 04:45 AM
Rather than making a home look vandalized i'm going to board it up and make it as defensible as possible. I'm thinking that a well protected home will be more of a deterrent than a home that looks to be easy pickings.

apssbc
07-14-2012, 05:18 PM
The thing that worries me about that is your a sitting duck then. I'm all about defending your home and property but you board yourself in and all it takes is a few people to surround your house and one fire bomb and your trapped, or you run out and your dead.

If I shelter in place i will do my best to make my house look worthless. I will defend it but I also know that there comes a time when for me and my family to survive ill need to escape.

If I bug out I hope to have enough time to take everything possible. If not the house will look worthless and I have a few secret spots to hide stuff in. Chances are even looking looted it will be picked through multiple times so I expect nothing for me if I return.