PDA

View Full Version : Bugging out - are you mentally prepared

DarkLight
07-07-2012, 12:27 AM
A post in another thread got me thinking about this due to a word that was used (to great effect and appropriately I might add).

If you have to bug out but the bug out isn't an INCH (I'm Never Coming Home) are you mentally prepared for what you might find when you return?

The term used was 'violated' and it really struck a chord for some reason. If you bug out, the chances are that you won't be locking the doors and setting the alarm and coming back in two weeks while the neighbors get your mail for you. Things will have come unhinged and once people see you leave then all bets are off as far as your 'personal property' goes.

Even in a short term messy fan situation where you feel you need to leave because the situation isn't safe anymore, you could come home to a dwelling that bears no resemblance to the building you left. It makes the thought of a burglary or breakin pale on comparison.

So, realistically, are you mentally prepared to bug out if it means you could come back to nothing?

Echo2
07-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Yup....made my peace with it....

DarkLight
07-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Echo - I know YOU have...your comment is the one that started this thread! :)

Echo2
07-07-2012, 12:51 AM
Kinda figured that....:)

bacpacker
07-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Damn ! The questions keep gettin harder don't they? You can pretty much figure that your place will be violated. Anything of short term use will be gone, maybe 50/50 on the other stuff at best. The house will be trashed or worse.

It would take a lot for me to have to leave here, but once that decision is made, things have gotten bad. I would just have to deal with whatever if I did come back. The thing that would bother me, would be seeing any of my stuff at someone's place around here. Did that item contribute to keeping some one alive? Was it something that really had no use at during the situation, but would be a nice score after things settled down some?

Bottom line though, if you gotta leave, you gotta go. Then just deal with it when you come back.

cwconnertx
07-07-2012, 03:45 AM
I love my stuff, but if it has gotten bad enough I have to leave, its more valuable to abandon than to stay.

Fortunately the most valuable things are small and can go with me, the irreplaceable as well. The stuff I really value, other than a few sentimental things like the rifle my dad gave me, comes with me, or stays in the safe, or gets buried... uh somewhere.

My tools will go in the truck. My firearms in the truck. Most of the expensive things I own are prep related, body armor, nightvision, firearms, gold and silver they travel. Most of the rest can be replaced with no real hardship and are insured (if insurance is still functioning) and if insurance isn't functioning, I don't care about replacing my business suits, office equipment, or filing cabinets.

LUNCHBOX
07-07-2012, 09:53 AM
I feel that if I left it and someone else can make use of it then help yourself.....but you can bet the farm that me and mine will be helping ourselves along the way as well. It only makes sense to expect to come back to nothing if you leave, you left because along those same lines you expected there was nothing to keep you there anymore.

Besides, if you have your family and friends safe with you then what more could you need?????

Echo2
07-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Just as a bit of a reminder....I keep a thumb drive with photo albums on them....in my kit. It's got a bunch of other crap on there too....but most of it wont mean much in an endgame event....still would like my pics though.

Grumpy Old Man
07-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Yes, I'm prepared! I've been divorced so I know what it means when life as I know it ends. I just keep in mind that it's just stuff, and it's all God's stuff! I'm just his temporary steward over it.

helomech
07-09-2012, 05:27 PM
I will not be bugging out, unless it is a short term situation. If a forest fire comes I will bug out, but in a long term situtation where things are bad everywhere I don't see any purpose on leaving. I will do better where I am, and will fight till my death to maintain it. And in a short term situtation my insurance will replace my belongings when I come back. Bottom line, I am staying unless the shtf is an isolated incident, and if it is isolated I am not worried about my stuff, because it will be replaced.

msomnipotent
07-09-2012, 06:15 PM
With our finances the way they are, I don't buy anything unless I absolutely need it or absolutely love it. I would be more than a bit miffed to come home after a short while, say a week or two, and find that my home has been pillaged. While there are very few things that are worth more than $1,000 in my house, I have quite a few irreplaceable antiques and family heirlooms. They are almost junk status, but still one of a kind. I would understand the food being taken. If I was gone for several months, I probably wouldn't bother going back. I would be shocked to find anything left. But I don't consider this house to be our home, so if something happens and we can't get it back, oh well. I would just like my stuff back.

Vodin
07-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Bug Out. I am not prepared for a long Bug Out. 3 to maybe 5 days max is my time frame of bugging out. I am not in the financial position nor the mental position for a long term bug out. This means I will remain in my nearby area and it will be doable for a short time or until others would join up. My wife is an awesome cook/baker but life in the wild would be a chore for her. And my dogs... well they are house dogs Blue Tick Coon Hound and a Dobie. They dont like the rain : )

This being my family means I wont be leaving their side. Your only as strong as the weakest link. (put me in the kitchen I will burn water) ((But call me a grill miester))

tompnoid
07-11-2012, 06:22 PM
I was just think about this last night kinda weird but i was thinking imagine having to ride out and going ya know i got a suit at home wish i had my dress shirt and tie i dont know just a weird thought like what would i look forward to would i go back and break in to get something i might need down the road. what if we come back from being beaten back into the mountains by some enemy later on would you go back? have i made piece with what i would see coming back i would be highly upset if my stuff was missing. kids would be devastated if thier things were gone. i dont know i would be pissed the hell off tell ya that much but i would get over it.

Stormfeather
07-11-2012, 06:56 PM
At one point in my life, I actually lost every single possession I own to a house fire, and having to start over from scratch. . . I have zero issue with it. As Grumpy said. . . its just "stuff". Sure pictures and memorabilia would be nice, but its not necessary for survival.

Echo2
07-11-2012, 07:45 PM
I understand the "just stuff" end of it....but the moral boost of looking at a pic of a loved one or something of the like....can have just as much to do with survival as a water filter or good shoes....your state of mind has to have something to work toward.

If you are in a big pile of crap....and all you can see is the big pile of crap from every vantage point....with no end to the crap in the near future....you gotta have something to hold on to.

Grumpy Old Man
07-11-2012, 11:33 PM
I have found that as I near my allotted 3score and 10 years that "stuff" has less attachment, but I also have my pictures etc all together and ready to go as well. The things that are important to me are extremely portable and so can go with me. (e.g.Kimber-ly, wink,wink) But I understand what you mean Echo, being able to keep your spirits up in the face of adversity is very important!

Vodin
07-11-2012, 11:48 PM
At least that is a good thing with me. I just live the moment. If I plan for the moment well that is where prepping comes in it will help me live in the moment. As for the past... well I live in the moment.

The Stig
07-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Being in a hurricane and fire zone this is an excellent question.

Are we physically prepared? I'd like to think so?

Are we mentally prepared to come home to a pile of rubble/smouldering ash? Honestly haven't really thought about it. I think I'd be able to man-up and get to work rebuilding our living situation. The Mrs and Lil Stig? Not so much.

Excellent food for thought. Thanks...gonna have to chew on this one for a while.