PDA

View Full Version : In the brief time I have been here I see alot of this with most of you.

Vodin
07-08-2012, 04:08 PM
" I " am becoming prepared... "Me and my family are prepping" and other comments that DO NOT INCLUDE others.

It seems to me that the few can only go so far.

Yeah having guns is great, having food is a good plan and just about everything else is good. But team work is what will propel you into a more stable environment.

You cant rely on your friends 100% lets think real world here. They may need to travel to you or expect you to travel to them or a BoL. We can attempt to cover all issues that pertain to our selves but we cant expect everything to go as planed.

I wish to receive your feed back on this thought.

Does anyone plan to organize/lead/teach their neighbors to work as a community?

I have started to reach out to others in my residential area. And I don't inform them of what I have done but rather what I have researched and what I plan to do. By interacting with others you help shore up the base to where you have a larger 'force' to deal with situations that 1-5 would have issues with.

I live in CO which is mostly a Democratic state so it is more difficult to analyze the possible outcome.

If (as I have read) a lot of you here believe that something is in the process of fruition. Shouldn't you start on the path of strengthening something that hasn't been spoken about here.

America was not created by a solo entity rather a collage of brains and ideas. And this here I can tell you will be met with harsh criticism but here is where multiple lines of thoughts can be valued.

Fatty
07-08-2012, 04:40 PM
If there is ever a time for them to take u seriously, it will already be too late. History has proven this to me.

Fatty
07-08-2012, 04:49 PM
As a follow up, i believe the communities will form once the event/crisis has revealed those of a feather who'r like minded in being prepared.

I no longer seek out. But have had a few find me for questions.

not1word
07-08-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm new here, my first post. I've only been into actual physical prepping for about a year. Before that, I'd been mentally prepping since childhood, being aware of my surroundings and the political and social state of the country. Lately it has seemed utilitarian to me to actually get involved with the more physical/hardware aspects. This was, to a great measure, pushed along by a very loose collection of friends and acquaintances. Currently, I'm involved with a few people on a serious level, keeping in contact with each other and making limited plans for potential problems or helps.

mitunnelrat
07-08-2012, 07:29 PM
I find it interesting you get that vibe from this site, as its the exact opposite of what I see myself. Granted, there's discussion on plans to avoid leeches and/ or deter the violent, but many people here do network and reach out to others.

If you look in the communities you'll see our call tree groups and other groups such as the Florida preppers.

Echo's posts are replete with mention of his MAG and their efforts

Grumpy's talked about meeting and networking with folks in his AO.

IIRC, Stormy mentioned some outreach he's done bringing people into prepping. At least one member came here due to that.

There are clues and indications board wide that many folks are grouped up and/ or networking beyond what they openly discuss here.

All of this leads me to believe it isn't so much "I" as in "I selfishly", but "I" as in, "I am selective in who I approach/ work with."

Is it the recent threads in the "Are you ready" vein influencing your feeling?

DarkLight
07-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Vodin - You need to be able to tell the difference between "I put so much of this and that away this week" and "I am ready for all hell to break loose and drop anyone who comes within 300 ft. of my abode". Let's assume I do work with a MAG (mutual assistance group for those reading this who don't know what it is), I'm not going to out the entire group and their preps for the week on a board that anyone on the Internet can read without even registering without their permission...that would be "political" suicide for me in the group.

A lot of the talk simply relates to what "I" as an individual have done because it was a)purchased by me, b)installed by me, c)is on my property and/or d)affects me directly, even if it is for the benefit of a MAG. It has nothing to do with selfishness or lack thereof, it is simply what I happen to be working on, possibly as my portion of my MAG. Again, I'm not going to out my MAG though.

Now I'm not one of those OPSEC crazy nobody's ever gonna find me OMG I've erased myself from the map kind of people (no offense to anyone who is). I kinda put two in the head of that when I published my book under my real name and had the first draft of it all but given away on another board under my handle (same one as here). My anonymity is shot all to hell. My bad, I'll deal with it. My point is much like mitunnelrat, don't assume that because someone uses "I" that they are being selfish, they aren't always (sometimes maybe but not even usually on this site). Here they are simply referring to themselves and what they happen to have accomplished.

--DL

The Stig
07-08-2012, 10:19 PM
MITR and DarkLight both said it very well.

I think if you dig deeper you'll find there's a very strong bias against lone wolf, one-man-army bullshit on this website.

Stormfeather
07-08-2012, 10:47 PM
I was going to write this long drawn out explanation, but the three guys above me did it already, and they said it much better than I could.

Sniper-T
07-09-2012, 12:36 AM
I for one will at least be starting out in a SHTF situation as a lone wolf (or pair, including my wife), but that is due to design rather than choice. I have a couple key neighbours, who I'll be able to group with, but at this time they aren't preppers per say. I also have some family that will be coming over, again, with minimal provisions, but with skills. I do believe that we could make it on our own, in the event, but it would be a lot of hard work, and hard work is best accomplished when divided among many hands.

Vodin
07-09-2012, 01:07 AM
OK, a few added words here.

I don't mean family and close friends. I am speaking of a neighborhood. Yours.
I don't imply or suggest supplying intimate details of your links with others.

I have read a few things yes not all but I saw nothing dealing with 'large scale' awareness. Large scale meaning more than 10 families. This is what I discuss. And I run short on time but since (as I stated) I have been here briefly I see a lot of lone wolf setups / descriptions. Lone wolf beings 5 or less people. Discussion in "Are you Ready " is a perfect example mitunnel. Most of the main posters took a position that made me ponder this question.

Apologies for the brief run down but I must be off. No irritation was intended with the question.

mitunnelrat
07-09-2012, 01:18 AM
For your viewing pleasure then,

http://www.shtfready.com/showthread.php?p=715

helomech
07-09-2012, 01:20 AM
I prepare for just me and my wife and kids. We do not train or form mags with others. I do not have much for neighbors, heck the nearest town to me is less than 300 people. We always help each other out during bad times, whether it be a storm, fires, or just some bad luck. I do believe in a real SHTF scenario that most would band together, but I do not have enough supplies for them.

mitunnelrat
07-09-2012, 01:32 AM
These too...

http://www.shtfready.com/showthread.php?p=2509

http://www.shtfready.com/showthread.php?p=9791

http://www.shtfready.com/showthread.php?p=12953

eagle326
07-09-2012, 01:36 AM
OK, a few added words here.

I don't mean family and close friends. I am speaking of a neighborhood. Yours.
I don't imply or suggest supplying intimate details of your links with others.

I have read a few things yes not all but I saw nothing dealing with 'large scale' awareness. Large scale meaning more than 10 families. This is what I discuss. And I run short on time but since (as I stated) I have been here briefly I see a lot of lone wolf setups / descriptions. Lone wolf beings 5 or less people. Discussion in "Are you Ready " is a perfect example mitunnel. Most of the main posters took a position that made me ponder this question.

Apologies for the brief run down but I must be off. No irritation was intended with the question.

Vodin; What you seem to be taking as lone wolf is a mirage. If you delve further into this site you'll find that help ; advice and even shelter is offered to the ants of this colony. Which makes us totally different from other sites.
Not don't be mistaken. We don't offer this to just anybody. The Ants look at read and digest the person's post and come to each individual's own surmation as to that poster's worthiness and honesty to the colony.

This is what makes us unique. We delve into the person by way of humor ; questions asked ; projects ; opinions and many other faucets there in. We are unique in the sense that that we don't look at numbers for immediate help as we do towards the Ant network to come to our aide as we individually form a network through this site whether through post ; private messages or by phone calls.

This is what makes us different from other sites. We're not here to promote individualism ; But to promote the power of the Colony system. We may not always agree with a fellow ant ; But we will endeavor to work with them in such a way as to enlighten them and ourselves in the process of learning ; survival and the survival of the colony.

Lastly ; We are not lone wolves in any way.
We just are more careful as to how and to whom we dispense public information. Hope this helps with your view of us.

As Always:
Eagle326

Echo2
07-09-2012, 01:53 AM
My closest neighbor brought over a vintage 1969 Daisy BB CO2 pistol.....in the box.....a gift from his parents .....and gave it to me....cause his Mrs thought they shouldn't have it in the house with their 10yr old son.....WTF

He came over one afternoon and asked if I was home from work....a deer had got tangled in one of their fences....and was pretty broke up from fighting it.....She told him I wasn't home...but hang on....she went and got my Springfield Operator and quickly dispatched the critter with one round. They couldn't believe she knew how to handle a gun.

So....will I be banding with my crystal gripping tree hugging dirt worshiping neighbors.....um....no.

I'm outta here....off to the BOL.

Our group is made of 2 main families.....and a few stragglers from the Marines and LEOs.....all have invested in prepping food and supplies.

The way we prep is if we show up naked to the BOL.....we will be OK....last major inventory....a couple of the guys needed to drop off shoes.

So there is no loner ideology in my mode of thinking.

izzyscout21
07-09-2012, 02:20 AM
Vodin.....by definition, "lone" as in "lone wolf" is singular. Anything more than 1 cannot be considered lone.

Vodin
07-09-2012, 02:30 AM
OK, back with a bit more time to respond.

mitunnelrat As I stated in the previous post yes you comprehend a portion of my assessment.
DarkLight I lack the ability to asses type since I have no facial signals to work with. (Further details about myself would require more time than I currently have.)
TheStig Understood. I do make the best effort to research as much as possible. And no I am not yet finished with it.
Sniper-T thank you for backing my hypothesis.

The reason why I have posed this question would be this. My thoughts are we will be dealing with an EMP type of situation. Should this be the case there will be a 'mass hysteria' by talking to others in your nearby vicinity I believe that it could be a lesser type.

To avoid a long drawn out explanation of an EMP or what little I know of the many possibilities that could occur. I was seeking those who are looking at it from a perspective of wanting to work with the people around them for a better outcome.

SHTF has many outcomes. There will be many groups of people that band together. (Police, workmates, prisoners, gangs...) Would it not be best to have a group of people within your neighborhood?

- - - Updated - - -

Izzyscout21 Lone meaning a family (Dad, Mom, Kids) 1 household.

DarkLight
07-09-2012, 02:54 AM
Vodin - I think that everyone here ultimately wants to work together with some group of people. Even sniper who said he would initially be going it alone with only his wife would be eventually teaming up with others as things progressed and became more drawn out if for no other reason than many hands make light work.

One of the biggest problems that I think most of us run into as far as trying to bring more people into the 'prepping lifestyle' is that if you mention it at the wrong time and/or to the wrong person, especially to someone in your neighborhood that you are going to have to be "around" all the time, it can really make your life awkward. Now I know that for the men on this forum a lot of us think of ourselves as alpha males and we don't give a damn what the neighbors think etc, etc, etc, but in the long run, deep down inside we also know that's BS. If we get tagged by 50% of the neighborhood as the wackjob with all the survival stuff who's preparing for the end of the world it can go one of two ways...it's either a big joke and it goes away or it's REAL uncomfortable and the wife WILL convince you to move. I've seen it happen.

Work can be a different story because while you deal with a lot of people on a daily basis and some of them may even know where you live, they aren't going to make your HOME life a living hell for your other half, your kids, etc. You can have discussions about the economy, guns, politics, survival, zombies, harems, whatever and nothing comes of it. You can't always have those same discussions with your neighbors...don't ask me why, I haven't figured it out yet.

Would it make SENSE to have these discussions with your neighbors and try to set up something similar to a MAG with people already around you so that you can have people near you who you can trust, who will have your back, etc? Yes, yes it would. The problem is that you don't know their situations and you can't guarantee that a) they will always be in the same situation, b) they will continue to be your neighbor for any given amount of time, c) you will always be on good terms with them (stupid things happen) and the list goes on. You can't even be sure that THEY won't get outed as a prepper in the neighborhood and then when it all comes down they out you because they don't want to be the only ones raided and that's, I think, one of the biggest concerns that we all face.

Reality dictates that the entire neighborhood is NOT going to be a prepper society. At the very outside (and I really feel like I'm being super generous here) you are going to have a dozen families that are on-board and preparing. In my neighborhood there are something like 150 homes...not good odds. Unless we all live on the same street, like next door to each other and we can barricade that street we are all so screwed. The choice is either shoot the other 10 to 1 families, share what we have so we can all starve together a little bit later or get together and bug out in the middle of the night.

Do I want to work with others? Yes. Have I found others that are like minded? Yes. Are they preparing? I think so but I don't know for a fact. Hell, I'm not as prepared as I want to be...some of what I see on here makes me want to cry and just give up! I'm just getting started myself by almost all standards but I'm trying. My biggest problem is debt and I'm trying to get out of debt at the same time that I'm trying to prep.

EMP, financial collapse, civil unrest due to <insert scary event here>, don't plan for any one thing. You never know what the trigger event will be. For all you know the power will still be on and the government will still be fully functional (which would actually be the worst of all possible outcomes) but the rotary impeller will still be messy.

--DL

Vodin
07-09-2012, 03:01 AM
Thank you mitunnelrat, I haven't read back to 2011 as of yet.

This 'colony of ants' as eagle326 classifies it has a great potential for present and future issues. I am very intrigued and surprised with the lines of thoughts that are placed here. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this.

My current analysis from the replies to my question are this. The majority of the outside world does not believe or understand what we understand to be a likely outcome. Trust will not be given to those with that mindset (family 1st).

But what I am still 'stuck' on is how did Columbus come up with the people to make the initial steps in creating this nation. Or in present day analogy how do we find/form a community that is within our close vicinity in order to rebuild. This community offers me different ways to resolve an issue.

Fatty
07-09-2012, 03:34 AM
Everyone who came with columbus were already like-minded! That makes things just a LITTLE bit more cohesive... this isn't brain surgery.

ladyhk13
07-09-2012, 04:23 AM
Or in present day analogy how do we find/form a community that is within our close vicinity in order to rebuild.

If you look at our members profile or under their avatar many people will list where they are from. Talk to them. See if they are close to you. See if they have the same mindset as you. You will see that many of us here have met FTF (face to face) or talked on the phone and have made plans to meet in the future. You don't have to make your immediate neighbors preppers if they aren't doing it already. You will be surprised at how many ANTS there are around the country. The longer you stay here the more you will find that you can count on people in an emergency or shtf event.

From what I am reading I think you are focusing too much on your immediate surroundings which you have no control over. This may be a mistake on your part. I believe we should focus only on what we can prep for, what we can control and what we can afford. If your neighborhood is really so bad and you think you will be in danger if shtf then maybe you should seriously consider planning a BOL now and getting it prepped while there is still time.

LUNCHBOX
07-09-2012, 05:15 AM
I posted in the "Are You Ready" thread, and yes I posted "I" in that and many more post. These posts are not intended for me alone, all of my posts/comments might say I but they are meant to be we because I have always said it will take numbers to survive any major scenario. I believe you had good intentions in your question and there may be a few that do intend to keep their group small. I can say that I have discussed this very issue with a few members and we are in agreement to larger numbers.

2 is 1.......1 is NONE.....(no more I)

Echo2
07-09-2012, 10:49 AM
If you think about it....the first few months are going to be full of mistrust.

A lot of folks are going to starve....and general horror for the folks who have no preps.

What is the saying?....9 meals away from anarchy.....then folks get desperate. That will be scary.

But as the hunger sets in....and the bodies become acclimated to little food....the lack of caloric intake will generally make a lot of folks lethargic.

Then the depression sets in.....another mass population decrease as many just give up.....laying down to die or taking their own life.....general hopeless feeling because they just don't know what to do.

I plan on being away from this as it happens....and try to give my children some small sense of normalcy.

I'm sure the villages will begin to form....but general mistrust will keep them from growing quickly.....logistics will be the buzz word....the village will only allow the numbers they can feed.....so you better have a skill.

I could be wrong.....it could be unicorns and glitter....:)

Sniper-T
07-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Just for you Echo:

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af288/breakindownltt/Misc%20Images/Funnies/glitter-1.jpg

Although I have to admit, I like that idea! Unicorn tastes like horse

The Stig
07-09-2012, 12:00 PM
But what I am still 'stuck' on is how did Columbus come up with the people to make the initial steps in creating this nation. Or in present day analogy how do we find/form a community that is within our close vicinity in order to rebuild. This community offers me different ways to resolve an issue.

Vodin -

Glad you made it here and thanks for asking this question. I'm glad that you are sorting through all the options to find what makes sense for you and your prepping plans. This thread is generating some good discussion so thanks for taking the time to post it.

Re: Columbus. Keep in mind Columbus had 3 tiny ships full of "like minded people" not an armada. That might be instructive. Being prepared, let alone living a prepping lifestyle, is a very small subset of American society. While trendy right now, the sad fact is the vast majority of Americans aren't prepared for a heavy thunderstorm, let alone a major disaster. Most are either more interested in American Idol or simply unwilling to set aside time/money to invest in preps.

That makes the pool of people who you could approach mighty small.

Further, many of us have had bad experiences discussing preps with people. Whether that outcome was epic drama or just that lingering glance of "that dude is a nut" those negative outcomes spoil the desire to organize the neighborhood into a prep army. And frankly, those sorts of discussions almost always involve having to share too much information about the preps we have on hand. All of us work to keep the specifics of what we have available on the QT. Yet when you say "hey, what will you do if....." to a neighbor it's only natural for them to ask the same of you.

At the risk of sounding negative, I don't think organizing the entire sub-division is necessarily a positive (at least compared to the effort required to do this).

That said, I don't think there is anybody on this site who hasn't done an assessment of their neighborhood to determine which families might be useful and which might be a PITA during a SHTF event (I think we did a thread on that a ways back). I also don't think there is anybody on this site that doesn't actively look for clues on who in the neighborhood might be prepping so the lines of communication could be opened.

Hell, there's something to be said for being "that guy" after an event who is calm cool and collected and seems to have his shit together. Guess who tends to be looked at to "tell us what to do" in those cases. Not staying that's a great plan but it should be considered.

Just a bunch of random thoughts for you Vodin. Again, thanks for asking the question and starting the discussion.

Echo2
07-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Just for you Echo:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z169/emmiedownunder/Fairies%20and%20Fantasy/Unicorns/Night-Encounter.gif

:(....echo no see

Grumpy Old Man
07-09-2012, 05:14 PM
I haven't posted in the are you ready thread because I'm still considering my response in light of my spiritual beliefs. Of a necessity they color my thinking and my actions. A part of those beliefs is that I am part of a larger family than just my nuclear family and I have a duty to take care of my "family". Therefore, "I" prep with that in mind and heart. People in my parish and those "I" know in my neighborhood will band together, as well as my extended ant family that "I" have put together out here. And how did "I" do that you ask? I reached out via PMs, or responded to PMs that were sent to me.

I also "feel people out" in general conversation. As my industry is pretty conservative, I have a number of like-minded friends within the industry. It's not to hard to find like minded folks if you are paying attention at meetings, church, the range, even the golf course. And don't forget Tuna Charters!! (Did I mention 17 days til the first one of the season?). Like minded people are everywhere, but many of us old coots are gray. Be cautious, but be friendly as well. Just because I am in the same location as others doesn't mean that they are my neighbors!

realist
07-09-2012, 05:46 PM
I have no intention of going it alone unless I happen to be traveling; I bring extra supplies in order to get home. I have contacts throughout the state that I can depend upon. The person who plans on backpacking everything they need up into the woods for the rest of their life is in fantasyland. Yes there are exceptions to the rule but very, very few.

So where do you start? I looked at family first; I have four spread all over the west. Each one preps in their own way. What do I mean by this, one has a big ranch, another has major preps, another has a nice defendable site on a small ranch and then the last is out of state financially strapped but still is able to put things away for a rainy day? Although the distance makes initial support much harder it also gives me a plan C and D if a need alternative bugout location is needed. We also have a great communications and get together at least once a year.

I have a nephew and his wife they are LEOs that are close and we support each other. They are going to be instrumental in building our vacation cabin this year. They want to put one up too on a piece of family property.

Then there is our church that has turned out to be a great resource. I have several people who we have been working together to obtain our goals. A lot of people they feel that church goers are the meek waiting to inherit the earth. Well it could not be farther from the truth from our perspective. We have no intention of waiting for anyone to come and help we are proactive.

There are some people who are obsessed with prepping and it drives them crazy. We take a different tact in that we go on day to day living out lives. We read and try to educate and train realistically as much as possible. We are the “Grey” people who blend in and are not noticed except by the ones who really know us. I look at prepping like saving for the future for my kids. My goal is to never have to use my preps with the exception to the everyday rotations. However if something, such as the example of an EMP was given, happens we will deal with it the best we can. I see the majority of the people on this forum operating in a similar way

Echo2
07-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Just for you Echo:

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af288/breakindownltt/Misc%20Images/Funnies/glitter-1.jpg

http://www.gagful.com/uploads/2011_12/1323199495_Unicorn_Poop_thumb.jpg

mitunnelrat
07-09-2012, 07:25 PM
I don't think I'll ever eat another skittle after seeing that! I don't wanna "taste the rainbow" anymore!

Vodin, you're welcome. I'm sure there's more along the same vein, but those came immediately to mind for me.

As for Columbus I'm pretty much with Fatty, but will add it was a different age, and he also eventually had full government backing and resources to sell his position as well.

Vodin
07-09-2012, 11:56 PM
I appreciate all of the replies to my question.

TheStig I agree with the 3 tiny ships. But each of the ships started out with what? ~100 people of which not all made the voyage. So lets further the analysis.. lets say 225 people made it to the shore. Columbus gathered 300 people with an expectation. And I am sure he made many more unhappy with him. Time passes and here we are today.

Talking, Chatting, PMing, Skyping etc.... means you have plans, desires, hopes but nothing that one can rely on as an absolute certainty. What I am questioning is the stance that it cant be done. (I live to prove different but I need to gather my ducks 1st b4 going off on a quack... fowl humor but it was needed)

((Side note I believe you need to place an acronym chart)) I am a newb prepper in the blog world : )

Echo2 I agree with your analysis as well. Again the evil but.... villages need a person to 'lead' the people. I am but a thinker I don't desire the lead role. If you have a group that is close in proximity to one another and understand how to initiate action. That makes it a faster resolution for the basic living requirements.

GrumpyOldMan nice to see how you approach this issue. I currently am in the same method your in. I am not a religious person so I lack that avenue that you have. Again I need to emphasis I don't understand innuendos 'gray' I would assume from another post on this page this means low key and remain unnoticed?

Again thank you for all of your responses I am gathering much needed lines of thought and experience. I hope to use them well.

The Stig
07-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Vodin...

For acronym help check out THIS (http://www.shtfready.com/f22/acronym-help-499/) thread

Echo2
07-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Echo2 I agree with your analysis as well. Again the evil but.... villages need a person to 'lead' the people. I am but a thinker I don't desire the lead role. If you have a group that is close in proximity to one another and understand how to initiate action. That makes it a faster resolution for the basic living requirements.

We plan on that....Not that we plan on being the leader....but we have been practicing the skills for longer than most. I see us as more of an advisory role than the leadership role.

This...as most any plan..... will probably not survive first contact. I really don't know what role I....or any in our group will play in the next phase of society. I guess it really depends on what society forms into.

I am not one that tends to give to further greater good.....I have watched too many good causes turn into a sham.

The general human mentality has been modified to be selfish.....in the "give an inch, take a mile" sort of thing.

I will however help teach....help engineer a way to accomplish a goal....donate my time and skills if you will.....but if someone tries to take what I have worked to prepare...all bets are off.

One thing I feel a lot of folks overlook....is their "survival library". If you plan now for the reference material you will need later.....then you will have an ace in the hole.

I have a few books on how to build water filters for a few folks....I also have books on how to shock wells.....filter large volumes of drinking water and such. This is one aspect of the bigger picture we are looking at. How many folks are prepared to home school their kids? Our group has 5 kids....from 1 to 14 yrs old.....we cant just stop educating them....so we have obtained enough schoolbooks to go to about the 2 yr college level of general study.

The group dynamic that we have....is pretty much going to be its own village anyway....with a very dedicated over watch. You can call us crazy if you want....but we already have the schedules for if everyone shows....or if just a few show. People have to be able to sleep....soundly if possible.

The resources of a group is also a godsend when it comes to the larger preps....big ticket items....it doesn't weigh so heavy on any one family.

Being able to sound different ideas off many folks with a common goal and a working knowledge of the AO....is another biggy. We have VERY detailed maps of our area....with range cards made for a boat load of different positions.....we know and have labeled just about every footpath on to the property....and we also have trees ribbioned to be cut for proper lines of sight from the LPOPs to said points.

I do truly feel blessed to have a group to lean on....I know many folks don't have that.

When we formed....we took an oath to protect the families....as a single unit...and it doesn't have to be the end of the world to do so....because if you don't do it now......you wont do it later.

Vodin
07-10-2012, 01:42 PM
I own a business where I repair laser printers. Over the last 14 years I have gathered a plethora of laser printers. I have found the PDF library here and test out the printers I service at my shop with those documents. I then place em in my library for a physical presence as well as in the virtual presence as a backup. So if you cant play tetris on the laptop read a book.

ladyhk13
07-11-2012, 03:29 AM
Echo...great thinking about the school books. I homeschooled my son and still have many of his high school books and probably should dig them out and sell them so someone else can use them since they are in perfect condition.

I agree about getting as many books or printed pages of every topic you can think of. We many not have all the knowledge in our heads but at least we will have the information and know where to find it when the time comes. Believe it or not, there are some people in the prepping society that still think you need to know everything or you aren't really a prepper - just a wanna be. I was practically told as much. My brain is too small for all that info. I have brain cells dying every day so I can hardly remember what I went into the next room for anymore!

tompnoid
07-11-2012, 04:22 PM
" I " am becoming prepared... "Me and my family are prepping" and other comments that DO NOT INCLUDE others.

It seems to me that the few can only go so far.

Yeah having guns is great, having food is a good plan and just about everything else is good. But team work is what will propel you into a more stable environment.

You cant rely on your friends 100% lets think real world here. They may need to travel to you or expect you to travel to them or a BoL. We can attempt to cover all issues that pertain to our selves but we cant expect everything to go as planed.

I wish to receive your feed back on this thought.

Does anyone plan to organize/lead/teach their neighbors to work as a community?

I have started to reach out to others in my residential area. And I don't inform them of what I have done but rather what I have researched and what I plan to do. By interacting with others you help shore up the base to where you have a larger 'force' to deal with situations that 1-5 would have issues with.

I live in CO which is mostly a Democratic state so it is more difficult to analyze the possible outcome.

If (as I have read) a lot of you here believe that something is in the process of fruition. Shouldn't you start on the path of strengthening something that hasn't been spoken about here.

America was not created by a solo entity rather a collage of brains and ideas. And this here I can tell you will be met with harsh criticism but here is where multiple lines of thoughts can be valued.

I have 2 points first of which is a few rules to live by

whenever a man is within ear shot of your front porch hand him a beer

take care of the old people around you

Fish often and long

Cook out atleast once a week

learn to work on your own car

Now you ask what does this have to do with what you say because if your neighbors know you and have stopped to chat a few times they are more apt to wanna band with you in times of struggle. And all these activites are things that are outside and invite others to come over and spend time bonding and bsing.

Now the second is this michael ruppert once said:.
"When you have some tragic event happen such as the titanic sinking and you know how to make life boats you will meet 3 kinds of people . The first will be deer in the headlights liek oh no what do i do i don't know what to do they are dead already, second group will be people in denial like the titanic can't sink its unsinkable we are going back to bar for a drink and all you doomsday people can go whistle. The third group will be people who say you can make life boats show us how to help. Which group are you going to help?"

Guess the basic is most people give a shit less about what you are doing they are tied up in their little circle if they want to be a part of what you are doing then you can help but if not then hell with them.
Team work is hard to find just because people are few and far between