PDA

View Full Version : New car shopping...FML

izzyscout21
07-10-2012, 04:20 PM
I hate car shopping.

We've begun looking for a new(ish) vehicle to replace the Commander. We need something smaller and with better mileage.

Looking at a Nissan Rogue AWD.

Hard part is, we just received our discharge papers from our bankruptcy. This process is going to suck.

That is all.

Izzy

Grumpy Old Man
07-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Tough times don't last; tough people do! You're as tough as they come Izzy. Keep your chin up and things will work out. You're in my prayers buddy.

bacpacker
07-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Prayers from as well Izzy. Your too good of a man for things not to turn around for you.

izzyscout21
07-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys......

trying to convince the wife she needs that quad cab deuce for a daily driver...............

Sniper-T
07-10-2012, 06:40 PM
just look up accident pictures for whatever little car that she likes. The carnage will convince her that bigger is better. Then it is up to you to push the deuce over say a Lexus LX

izzyscout21
07-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I"m not afraid of a smaller car. She likes the nissan rogue. I do to (as much as I can "like" a small SUV). It helps I used to sell Nissan. I dont think she'll go for the deuce...........actually, I know. When hell freezes over.............

- - - Updated - - -

I"m not afraid of a smaller car. She likes the nissan rogue. I do to (as much as I can "like" a small SUV). It helps I used to sell Nissan. I dont think she'll go for the deuce...........actually, I know. When hell freezes over.............

To further this conversation and actually relate it to prepping,

consider this:

When choosing a vehicle it really boils down to needs vs wants......

Sure I'd like to have the 4wd gas guzzling mammoth, but do I need it really?

I'm much better served by fuel economy right now than I am off road capability

IDTANDY
07-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Get whats needed.Save for the utility vech.Might consider a base 4x4 and add things as you save for them.Coming off a Bankruptsy also.
Found an old but running 65 dodge power wagon.Slant 6 going to start from there.

izzyscout21
07-10-2012, 07:43 PM
this one will be the family car.......next item on the list: ditching my civic for something more manly.

Echo2
07-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Dude....My daily driver is a Subaru Baja...03.

Bought it with 63k from a salvage yard for <$4k.....invested $1200 in parts....booked for $11,900 when done.

Mrs Echo has a 99 Surburban....used for $6200...runs great...had it for almost 2 years now.....found on CL....clean...and the guy had meticulous maintenance records.

My second Vehicle is a 94 F150....needed clutch....got truck....welding machine....spool gun....and torch outfit...$1600

Just keep your eyes open...there are deals to be had.

If you run across anything on CL in the Roanoke Salem area of Va....I'll take a peek to see if it worth the drive.

ak474u
07-11-2012, 12:53 AM
The Rogue is decent, they never came for stupid repairs when I was at Nissan. STAY AWAY from the Murano. I put 7k trannies in those like you wouldn't believe. Then Nissan admitted they had a bad trans, and extended drivetrain warranties to 120k for the vin range that had issues.

Stormfeather
07-11-2012, 09:32 AM
in the market for a newer vehicle for the wife. Having some weird issue with the land rover where it automatically shuts off after a few miles of driving. A mechanic friend said it may have to do with the security system override. Where it thinks its being stolen, so it shuts off the gas to it. No idea, and no money to take it to get professionally diagnosed, so life sucks here in the vehicle dept too bro!

izzyscout21
07-11-2012, 02:10 PM
The Rogue is decent, they never came for stupid repairs when I was at Nissan. STAY AWAY from the Murano. I put 7k trannies in those like you wouldn't believe. Then Nissan admitted they had a bad trans, and extended drivetrain warranties to 120k for the vin range that had issues.

almost all of nissans cars are good to go. the exception being the Murano. It's an extreme POS

tompnoid
07-11-2012, 06:12 PM
let me say this domestic means you can get parts and can work on it nissan has those stupid sealed trannies may i recommend a pontiac or chevy product. a blazer something cost effective 4 wheel drive v6 or 4cylinder you can get parts out of any yard for em for nothing and they are simple to work on.

on another note i was thinking chevy volt would like to have something that never uses gas and is built in detroit

Twitchy
07-13-2012, 04:35 AM
let me say this domestic means you can get parts and can work on it nissan has those stupid sealed trannies may i recommend a pontiac or chevy product. a blazer something cost effective 4 wheel drive v6 or 4cylinder you can get parts out of any yard for em for nothing and they are simple to work on.

on another note i was thinking chevy volt would like to have something that never uses gas and is built in detroit

the volt... I wont comment on my thoughts on that thing...

Izzy, a good question is was your general budget for it is... Allows us to come up with better options for ya!

LUNCHBOX
07-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Izzy, I'm right there with you. Going through a divorce right now and that whole vehicle situation sucks ass. With all the changes going on my 4 door Ford truck just went by-by. I'm now getting around in a car that I feel I have to combat roll out of. There are +'s.....no payments, cheaper insurance and gas costs. So I guess my point here might be just to get what you can get to take you from point A to point B.

Kodiak
07-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Izzy, I'm right there with you. Going through a divorce right now and that whole vehicle situation sucks ass. With all the changes going on my 4 door Ford truck just went by-by. I'm now getting around in a car that I feel I have to combat roll out of. There are +'s.....no payments, cheaper insurance and gas costs. So I guess my point here might be just to get what you can get to take you from point A to point B.

Guess im stuck driving from now on cause i aint gonna fit in yo car.

izzyscout21
07-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Update--------------

So we ended up getting into a brand new car.
While I was never a fan of GM (especially after the bailout), GM was able to pull it together for me.
GM has a program for people coming out of bankruptcy.

The program put us with a prime lender (previous note was with a secondary lender) and dropped out interest rate from 17% to 8%. WIN
They were also able to drop out car note from $450/ month to $375.
The new car gets twice the gas mileage out Jeep did, cutting out monthly fuel budget in half. Our fuel budget went from 700/ month to $350/ month.

What did we get you ask?

A 2012 Chevy Cruze

So far, I'm loving the car.

Total monthly savings....... around $425......

Sniper-T
07-13-2012, 01:19 PM
NICE! I think you'll be happy with it!

helomech
07-13-2012, 01:37 PM
I have one decent vehicle a 05 nissan titan. ( I actually love that truck). But my other vehicles are a 96 saturn, and a 02 nissan quest, that has been through hell. Getting rid of it as soon as I pick up a 97 Nissan Alitma (buying from a friend for 1200 bucks). I don't plan to ever buy a vehicle that cost more than 5k ever again.

The Stig
07-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Update--------------

So we ended up getting into a brand new car.
While I was never a fan of GM (especially after the bailout), GM was able to pull it together for me.
GM has a program for people coming out of bankruptcy.

The program put us with a prime lender (previous note was with a secondary lender) and dropped out interest rate from 17% to 8%. WIN
They were also able to drop out car note from $450/ month to $375.
The new car gets twice the gas mileage out Jeep did, cutting out monthly fuel budget in half. Our fuel budget went from 700/ month to $350/ month.

What did we get you ask?

A 2012 Chevy Cruze

So far, I'm loving the car.

Total monthly savings....... around $425......

As we discussed on the phone..congrats!

Also, well done on making the money aspect work more in your favor.

Sometimes life deals us soup-sandwiches and we're stuck. But if there's a way to decrease the outflow of funds while increasing the functionality of the the item (ie. more bang for the buck) then it's a huge win.

eagle326
07-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Good move Izzy. I agree with Stig ; moved up and increased your flow of money at the same time.

izzyscout21
07-21-2012, 07:12 PM
As we discussed on the phone..congrats!

Also, well done on making the money aspect work more in your favor.

Sometimes life deals us soup-sandwiches and we're stuck. But if there's a way to decrease the outflow of funds while increasing the functionality of the the item (ie. more bang for the buck) then it's a huge win.

Thank you, good sir. I'll have to put up some pics......

GunnerMax
07-22-2012, 02:20 AM
Nice buy. I have a GMC and the fucking thing is indestructable