PDA

View Full Version : I was violated while I was at work

Grumpy Old Man
07-10-2012, 04:22 PM
While I was at work yesterday, some punks stole my 2 horse slant horse trailer with dressing/tack room from my driveway in broad daylight! It was 107 here yesterday, so no one in the neighborhood was outside, so no one saw anything. The deputy that took my report was great, but he told me that it was possible to get it back, if they found it, but it was most likely dopers who stole it for drug money. I'm extremely pissed and somewhat depressed.

But, the upshot of this is that I'm now really looking over my shoulder.

izzyscout21
07-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Draw.....quarter......

Echo2
07-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Hanging....soon...

Sniper-T
07-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Is there a 'community' of horse people down there?

Put the word out at every store/ranch rodeo, whatever for a 200 mile radius. Chances are, dopers are going to try and dump it quick and close

Good luck.

*geez, if he was grumpy before...*

;)

bacpacker
07-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Same idea I had Sniper. They wont take it far to sell.

Grumpy put pics all over if you have any. I bet it turns up. Asses do need to swing over that kinda shit.

Vodin
07-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Getta rope......

LUNCHBOX
07-10-2012, 06:25 PM
When shit like this happens....it makes answering the threads like "Are You Ready" a lot easier.

Putting the word out is a good idea.

Daca102090
07-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Keep an eye on "Craigs List" as well.

Easy site to try to fence stolen items to unsuspecting individuals.

mitunnelrat
07-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Damn. I hope they catch the bastards, but more importantly I hope you can recover everything.

Grumpy Old Man
07-10-2012, 09:01 PM
I put the word out at the stables and with my riding friends last night and told my young rodeo buddies this morning. The thing is, in the horse world, people know each other and their vehicles, horses, etc. This is Kali, where scrapping is an art form for the meth heads and dopers. A 6100 lb steel trailer? Do the math. Without a title and with the description license # etc in the system shortly after they stole it, no one will buy it for use. My closest buddy out here, who also rides said the same thing, it's being recycled. CL and other ads are full of trailers for sale cheap.

I hate thieves! And I hate doper thieves even more!

Grumpy Old Man
07-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Just talked to my adjuster and the maximum payout for a non-watercraft trailer is $1000 after deductible of $500. My trailer was $7000 in 2005 with less than 10,000 miles. A pretty top-of-the-line Circle J 2 horse slant with tack room bumper pull. Probably worth about $2000-$2500 now. This really sucks out loud, but it'll be better than nothing. I hope they try stealing copper from a live street light next!

Grumpy Old Man
07-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Well,the adjuster just told me I'll get $1K in the mail in 3-5 business days. Oh well, just gotta suck it up and move on. No use letting those rat bastiges live rent free in my head!

bacpacker
07-10-2012, 09:55 PM
I had heard a few years back that there were theft rings going around stealing all metal trailers, big ones in particular, and were shipping them to China to melt down for the metal. That wouldn't surprise.

tompnoid
07-11-2012, 04:56 PM
grumpy tell the local scrap yard alot of crack heads out here guy just got shot trying to rip the copper off of a central air unit up the street

msomnipotent
07-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Sorry to hear it happened to you. That just sucks.

The Stig
07-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Just talked to my adjuster and the maximum payout for a non-watercraft trailer is $1000 after deductible of $500. My trailer was $7000 in 2005 with less than 10,000 miles. A pretty top-of-the-line Circle J 2 horse slant with tack room bumper pull. Probably worth about $2000-$2500 now. This really sucks out loud, but it'll be better than nothing. I hope they try stealing copper from a live street light next!

What a bumbling load of fuck.

Sorry to hear you were ripped off.

You need us to posse up, head west and do some....er....hunting for you?

ak474u
07-12-2012, 03:00 AM
What a bumbling load of fuck.

Sorry to hear you were ripped off.

You need us to posse up, head west and do some....er....hunting for you?

I'm totally in.... As long as we can paint a van red and black, and call ourselves the BTeam.

ladyhk13
07-12-2012, 03:10 AM
Yeah, they say it's worth $1K but go on CL and try to find one the same year and condition and see what they are going for....probably still up around $7K. That is robbery in more than one way.
Grumpy you ever think about moving out of that commie state you are in you are more than welcome to come to the other side of the Mississippi :)

Stormfeather
07-12-2012, 09:49 AM
Sorry to hear this happened to ya GOM, truly does suck. My only advice is to get out of that damn state, I havent looked back since I left!

Grumpy Old Man
07-12-2012, 04:47 PM
I count the days until I can leave, but I have what you might call golden handcuffs. I'm not quite ready to leave the industry yet, but someday soon.........

izzyscout21
07-12-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm totally in.... As long as we can paint a van red and black, and call ourselves the BTeam.

I vote for naming us "Team Awesome"

Twitchy
07-12-2012, 06:49 PM
I vote for naming us "Team Awesome"

Count me in on the team!

Gunfixr
07-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Sorry to hear about that, Grumpy. I know your pain, as our house was broken into last fall, and several thousand dollars worth of stuff stolen.
We lost a lot of jewelry, and we heard much the same from the police.
The exploded scrap industry has made theft a "wet dream" for thieves, as most scrappers will take stolen merchandise because they're going to crush it or melt it down, and it'll be on a ship within a couple days.

As for insurance, with some companies you can add a rider policy for property. Regular homeowners policies just don't have the coverage for extraneous but valuable items.
I don't, own a boat, or any trailers but a utility trailer, but we got a rider for our guns. Without it, we'd only get up to $1000. With it, it's pretty well covered.

Onestep
07-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Dammit Grump, that sucks, both the theft and the lowly insurance payout.

You may try putting an ad on CL in the wanted or farm section "looking" for a horse trailer. You never know, these dumbasses may just be that stupid to reply.

Also, you should be able to write off the balance of the value off your taxes at the end of the year.

Grumpy Old Man
07-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Yep I'll be able to take a loss on taxes, but as I say, I'm 85 miles north of the border and meth heads have elevated scrapping to an art form. So I'm not holding out much hope of getting it back.

Sniper-T
07-13-2012, 06:29 PM
booby trap the next one?

Gunfixr
07-13-2012, 07:43 PM
booby trap the next one?

Somebody here in the state (VA) had done just that, 20 or 30yrs back. Seems he had some sort of traveling job, so his house was empty rather often. He'd been burgled several times, and was sick of it.
So he set up a shotgun inside his door, when it opened, the gun would fire.
Sure enough, he got hit, only the burglar was killed. When he returned, police awaited. He was charged with murder.
Most of the locals knew what had been happening, and raised a ton of money for his defense. He ended up mostly getting off, but not quite. Then there was the civil suit.

Grumpy Old Man
07-13-2012, 09:45 PM
^^^^ I'm sure the burglar was a good boy just getting his life turned around.

Sniper-T
07-13-2012, 11:37 PM
back when I was a teen, I had an expensive stereo in my car, I rigged it with razor blades and needles in behind it. Sure enough, onenight there was blood on the floor. I went to the hospital, found the guy with the cut up hand, and kicked the shit out of him in the waiting room. When the police arrived I told them the story, they gave me shit (kinda), and waited until he was patched up and arrested him.

:)

booby traps don't have to be lethal!

A friend was having trouble with neighbour kids jumping the fence and sneaking into her pool, they'd leave a mess, etc. She dumped a bunch of blue dye in there one night, and then went with the police to the school the next day, where they charged 4 'smurfs' with trespassing.

Twitchy
07-13-2012, 11:55 PM
back when I was a teen, I had an expensive stereo in my car, I rigged it with razor blades and needles in behind it. Sure enough, onenight there was blood on the floor. I went to the hospital, found the guy with the cut up hand, and kicked the shit out of him in the waiting room. When the police arrived I told them the story, they gave me shit (kinda), and waited until he was patched up and arrested him.

:)

booby traps don't have to be lethal!

A friend was having trouble with neighbour kids jumping the fence and sneaking into her pool, they'd leave a mess, etc. She dumped a bunch of blue dye in there one night, and then went with the police to the school the next day, where they charged 4 'smurfs' with trespassing.

that's clever...

2die4
07-14-2012, 01:46 AM
*geez, if he was grumpy before...*

;) I was thinking the same thing.

Sorry to hear Grumpy!