PDA

View Full Version : My Get Home Kit!

TOOTHPICK
07-11-2012, 06:07 PM
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/toothpick7/2012-07-11_12-47-53_644.jpg

$20 dollar pack off of Lunchbox that hold all my gear!

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/toothpick7/2012-07-11_12-49-50_709.jpg

Extra clothing:
ACU pants
Thermal shirt (needs to be changed due to warm weather)
Socks

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/toothpick7/2012-07-11_12-51-18_3.jpg

Food Items:
Mess Kit
Steno
MRE
Freeze dried meal
Mrs. Grass Chicken Soup
Ramen Noodle Pack

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/toothpick7/2012-07-11_12-51-31_500.jpg

First Aid Kit:
Quikclot
Basic Bandages
Aspirin
Pain Killers
Other Items I'm Sure I Forgot

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/toothpick7/2012-07-11_12-52-27_687.jpg

Sanitation/Fire/Shelter:
Disinfecting Wipes
Soap
Matches
Cotton/dryer lint (in the white box)
Hand Warmers
Ponchos
Emergency Blanket

TOOTHPICK
07-11-2012, 06:13 PM
- - - Updated - - -

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/toothpick7/2012-07-11_12-55-41_839.jpg

Security:
Glock 19 with light
4 Mags
3 Knifes
A Lot Of Extra Ammo

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/toothpick7/2012-07-11_12-57-22_62.jpg

Water:
Drink Mixes
Coffee
Filter straw (In First Aid Kit)

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/toothpick7/2012-07-11_12-57-38_841.jpg

Light Sources:
123 Light
Crank Light/Charger
Light Sticks (Tucked In The Bag Still)

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/toothpick7/2012-07-11_12-47-46_862.jpg

AND IT ALL FITS!!! It never leaves my truck! I'd rather tell someone we don't have enough room for them to hitch a ride, than to take this bag out of my truck!

What do ya guys think? anything to make it better?

msomnipotent
07-11-2012, 06:24 PM
You got all that in there?

The only thing I can think of right now is adding bug repellent and sunblock that comes in little wet wipes. Is your only water filtration a filter straw or do those blue water bottles also filter?

TOOTHPICK
07-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Ya, It's stuffed pretty good, but it's not as heavy as it looks. The bottles don't filter, although, I have though about replacing those with the bottles that do filter. I've thought about getting a stainless bottle or 2 also and keeping them in my truck to boil water if need be. I actually have several small pump bottles and the wipe type repellents (the old lady bought them on sale when it started getting cold last year). I will add those right now. Cant't believe I overlooked that! I think I have all the basics covered. I also keep a blue tarp behind the back seat of my truck in the event that I have to haul something I don't want to get wet. I also have 2 more mags that you can't see, and I plan on getting 2 more 15 round'ers...

msomnipotent
07-11-2012, 07:52 PM
I prefer the stainless steel bottles. Like you said, you can boil water. I keep tinder, band-aids, and fish hooks in my SS bottle right now so they don't get wet or tear up the back pack. I don't know what I would keep them in when I have to use the bottle yet. I should think that through.

The Stig
07-12-2012, 01:49 AM
I'd suggest ditching some of that extra ammo in favor of better medical supplies. Consider adding a couple tourniquets and izzy bandages to your first aid kit. Also, things like splints and ace bandages would be good to deal with injuries that could come up on a long hike home.

Sunscreen?

Batteries?

Also, some sort of hydration/electrolyte mix for the water in the event it's a long hot and sweaty walk?

Maybe ditch the extra water bottle and swap in a water filter of some sort?

Small multi-tool? I'm a fan of the Gerber Suspension

Just some random thoughts to maybe give your bag some more flexibility of a wider range of situations.

But ultimately I'd consider spending some time amping up your first aid kit. Any long hike, especially in a stressful situation, is ripe for injuries.

Great start and interesting bag. Thanks for sharing it with us!

TOOTHPICK
07-12-2012, 02:26 AM
The first aid kit has a tournaquet. I will add an ace bandage. I keep batteries in one of the pockets I just didn't snap any pics to post. One of the blue bottles has some Gatorade quick mixes in it. I do need sunscreen! I really appreciate the input! The little things I forget I'm glad other people catch! Thanks again! And keep the input coming!

LUNCHBOX
07-12-2012, 05:04 AM
T, not to contradict Stig but I'm gonna....keep the ammo. I know where you work/live so I understand. I would also keep both bottles and just add a small container of bleach or water puri tabs. (I have some tabs for you) Knowing you have some, I would would add plenty of 550 cord in case you had to hooch up.

The electrolyte powder is a good call. maybe add a couple mag pouches you can put on your hip if needed so your not digging around for one.

I have the Gerber Suspension and would recommend it also.

Oh and by the way...you tell everyone that your gear is OD and your camera made it look ACU. LOL.

kmab
07-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Consider a shoulder strap or waist belt to for carrying of the bag once you're on the move.

Not sure how long it may take to get home but I'd drop the mess kit & sterno on favor of MREs an/or Freeze Dried.

Throw in a bic lighter

TOOTHPICK
07-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Again, I have 550 but didn't see the point in taking pics. The mag pouch I have can be put on a belt, which I always wear. kmab, I have a strap it's tucked next to one of the blue bottles. (The last pic, the big black banana shaped thing).LB, if you find me a drop leg platform, I'd throw together a belt with my holster and the mag pouch I got off you together and keep it in my truck too! Ya, LB, by the time I get all the stuff off you I want I'll look like a rainbow walking around, lol all the different colors of pouches. Although, like we said, either combination of black and tan, or black and OD looks good!

Onestep
07-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Here's mine:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

Price is hard to beat and it will hold a lot. And it includes a shoulder strap.
In it I have:

First Aid kit
Flashlite
Knife
Fire starter
Long sleeve t shirt
Zip off pants (convert to shorts)
Socks
Sharpie
Clif bars
Bic lighter
Poncho
Hand Warmer
Filter straw
Head lamp
Dust mask
Plastic garbage bag
Gloves
Spare sunglasses
Reading glasses
Toilet paper
Tie wraps
Emergency wound seal
Spare glasses
Toothbrush/paste

There's more but can't remember at the moment.

It'll hold a bottle of water in each end compartment.

Weapon stays in the vehicle as none are allowed in the building.

Wife has the same set up in her vehicle.

slowz1k
07-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Here's mine:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

Price is hard to beat and it will hold a lot. And it includes a shoulder strap.
In it I have:

First Aid kit
Flashlite
Knife
Fire starter
Long sleeve t shirt
Zip off pants (convert to shorts)
Socks
Sharpie
Clif bars
Bic lighter
Poncho
Hand Warmer
Filter straw
Head lamp
Dust mask
Plastic garbage bag
Gloves
Spare sunglasses
Reading glasses
Toilet paper
Tie wraps
Emergency wound seal
Spare glasses
Toothbrush/paste

There's more but can't remember at the moment.

It'll hold a bottle of water in each end compartment.

Weapon stays in the vehicle as none are allowed in the building.

Wife has the same set up in her vehicle.

That's a nice little bag. I picked one up about a year ago, and use it as a range bag. It's tough as nails and built with very thick stiff nylon.
Very roomy, though the size and shape of some of the outer pockets makes me wonder what tiny items the designer had in mind to go in them.

Nice job on your bag Toothpick. I like it that you have that much in a relatively small package.
One thing that I'll add, and I'll apologize ahead of time if it's already been mentioned, is footpowder, extra socks and some moleskin. If you have a long hike, you have to take care of your hooves.

One thing that remains a constant with my bags is that they are always evolving. As better gear comes available, or new threats are introduced, the contents are always changing.

The Stig
07-12-2012, 08:38 PM
T, not to contradict Stig but I'm gonna....keep the ammo. I know where you work/live so I understand.

Excellent point Lunchbox. All prepping should be done based on the local needs and your personal situation.

tompnoid
07-12-2012, 09:02 PM
nice bag

izzyscout21
07-13-2012, 02:56 AM
I have that same bag. I've had it for 5 years. Not until you posted this did I realize that there was a hidden velcro pocket on one side.
Saw yours......then looked at mine.
Epic facepalm.

Wow...... I feel dumb.

Twitchy
07-13-2012, 04:36 AM
boy i miss the like feature already...

learn something new everyday now dont er izzy! haha

The Stig
07-13-2012, 12:13 PM
I have that same bag. I've had it for 5 years. Not until you posted this did I realize that there was a hidden velcro pocket on one side.
Saw yours......then looked at mine.
Epic facepalm.

Wow...... I feel dumb.

Don't feel too bad.

I'm pretty sure OP's bag used to belong to me (I sold it to Lunchbox a ways back).

I didn't realize it had a pocket on the side either.

:/

TOOTHPICK
07-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Stig, I completely agree that I need to give some more lovin' to the medical supplies, but, in the area's I have to travel to get home, I'm kinda hosed in all directions. Literally all around where we (me, lunchbox, kodiak) work is pretty sketchy. It'd be at least 6-8 miles before I got to a "comfy" zone persay... Do I think I would need all that ammo? probably not, but, I'd rather have it and not need it, if ya feel me. I will be adding the foot powder (good call slowz), Izzy, don't feel dumb, look at it like this, now you know you have more room for more stuff! It's like christmas from an extra pocket! Stig, what's OP?

cwconnertx
07-14-2012, 04:09 AM
Stig, what's OP?

In general - Original poster, the one who started the thread...

Specifically - in this case ... you

Dropy
07-15-2012, 12:47 AM
i would chap stick or carmex.

Echo2
07-15-2012, 05:21 PM
I found these to be handy...and not add much weight....

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyd2yrRUCoB48b6KlVc-K8RM-wgFfEimcX-_1Qjq5qkF9HqdwhJw

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXZa_dgqxj4yjFOXqmc6oHplvW_kj6Z lmwnzWYyP8-QtpcLgqj

If all you are going to carry is paracord....the smaller ones will do....

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8M84cXq_QcsiYIR-GxmMG-FRDhDV-z8L4Va531W3vbRlCOdNlew

The Stig
07-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Stig, I completely agree that I need to give some more lovin' to the medical supplies, but, in the area's I have to travel to get home, I'm kinda hosed in all directions. Literally all around where we (me, lunchbox, kodiak) work is pretty sketchy. It'd be at least 6-8 miles before I got to a "comfy" zone persay... Do I think I would need all that ammo? probably not, but, I'd rather have it and not need it, if ya feel me. I will be adding the foot powder (good call slowz), Izzy, don't feel dumb, look at it like this, now you know you have more room for more stuff! It's like christmas from an extra pocket! Stig, what's OP?

As cwconnertx said, OP is "original poster".

More importantly, couldn't agree more that you need to tailor your preps to your specific situation. A ton of medical gear when you need to potentially deal with traversing little Beirut doesn't make a ton of sense.

ETA: Echo2....those are badass. Thanks for sharing them!

Echo2
07-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Found them at a BSA Camporee.....the guys set up the dining fly in about 2 minutes....great for making a ridge line for a tarp shelter.....and dogging the four corners.....and it comes down just as quickly. I keep them on my pack.

- - - Updated - - -

NorthWest TrueValue carries them BTW

bacpacker
07-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Echo I just ran across those at Gander Mtn this afternoon. I didn't get any since I knew nothing about them. After hearing your view on them, I will go back and pick up some of them. They were not very expensive. Speed in putting up and taking down a shelter can be very important given weather conditions.

fishmagnet
07-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Youve got a nice looking sack TP..

The Stig
07-20-2012, 11:13 AM

*snicker*

Welcome to the colony Fishmagnet! Glad to have you aboard.

LUNCHBOX
07-20-2012, 11:57 AM

That is a pretty good first post. I'm glad they know each other though....lol.

Onestep
07-20-2012, 12:03 PM
TMI

izzyscout21
07-20-2012, 12:08 PM
That is a pretty good first post. I'm glad they know each other though....lol.

That doesn't make the statement any better................

LUNCHBOX
07-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Izzy, if you worked with them you would understand.

TOOTHPICK
07-20-2012, 02:56 PM
LB, I'm pretty sure you work with us too! Don't act like you're not "comfortable" with us! hahaha

TOOTHPICK
07-20-2012, 03:03 PM

Well, Thanks Fish! it's always nice to get compliments about body pa.... oh.... wait.....

mitunnelrat
07-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Izzy, if you worked with them you would understand.

Still not better, but damn did I laugh

izzyscout21
07-21-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm going to do a special run of patches just for the Ohio group.......

......a paper bag with the ant head in the middle........ the words "Nice Sack" above the bag..............."OHIO MAG" underneath...........

The Stig
07-21-2012, 04:01 PM
i'm going to do a special run of patches just for the ohio group.......

......a paper bag with the ant head in the middle........ The words "nice sack" above the bag..............."ohio mag" underneath...........

Fucking awesome

Make it happen troop

bacpacker
07-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Holy SHIT! I bout fell off the couch on that one.

Stormfeather
07-21-2012, 05:17 PM
There is nothing wrong with having a nice sack. . . and theres nothing wrong with one man, who is totally comfortable with his male counterparts, complimenting him on his sack. . . . .

But, its still sounds as wrong as two priests fucking. :)

Kudos to getting a slogan by your name on your first post!

TOOTHPICK
07-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Izzy, if you make a patch, I swear I'll buy one... or several!

izzyscout21
07-25-2012, 10:46 PM

just had to snicker again.........

http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/283928/80501982.jpg

Grumpy Old Man
07-25-2012, 11:35 PM
"Youve got a nice looking sack TP.. "

^^^^^ROFLMFAO!!!!!! I just loaded a truck, after hours, in the heat, after a scavenger hunt for a BOL and associated paperwork and I was pissed. I needed that belly laugh!

LUNCHBOX
07-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Please do not include me in the "Ohio Sack Mag" at this time. I get enough looks saying I know these guys.

Grumpy Old Man
07-25-2012, 11:46 PM
The Ohio Sack Mag! OSM! Their motto "We're comfortable in our Manhood". Their cheer " We got huevos". Their Creed "It is better to have a nice sack, than no sack at all".