PDA

View Full Version : Um. . . what happened to the "LIKE" button?

Stormfeather
07-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Havent changed my settings or anything, but logged on today to find my happy little "like" button gone. . . what happened?

LUNCHBOX
07-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Storm, in the "Site Help" section where RJ said he was doing away with VBSEO we would loose the "like" tab. I miss it already.

Sniper-T
07-12-2012, 10:34 AM
yep... me too! He's working on a replacement though

If it is any consolation, I still like you guys!

;)

Grumpy Old Man
07-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Stormy do you need a hug?;) But, I agree the like was a nice feature. Oh well, the only constant is change!

eagle326
07-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Stormy do you need a hug?;) But, I agree the like was a nice feature. Oh well, the only constant is change!

Sniper T is close Grumpy. He should go give him a big old Man Ant hug. :p

Stormfeather
07-12-2012, 08:05 PM
I think I just puked a little bit . . . . I dont do man on man touch bonding too well unless weve been shot at together. . .

LOL, anyways, No hug needed. . . just was wondering if I missed something is all. Things are so hectic, that even tho I try to keep up with whats going on around here, sometimes things slip thru the cracks. I saw a post I liked and went to give it the usual "attaboy" and was confounded when I couldnt find my attaboy button!

Dropy
07-15-2012, 03:57 PM
You 2 come by my place at the wrong time and you will have the chance to man on man bond. Does that help? =)

RedJohn
07-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Sorry guys, I am working on a replacement. I have one option, but it is quite expensive. I am thinking about it though.

Twitchy
07-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Sorry guys, I am working on a replacement. I have one option, but it is quite expensive. I am thinking about it though.

I saw a like script the other day at vb.org but it had enough affiliate links in the footer to drive me to drink...

RedJohn
07-18-2012, 06:21 PM
I am interested in this one, but I don't want the free version. The Pro version is $85, so I am thinking about it. I am spending a lot of money on this site already. I'll take a decision soon. Worse case scenario, I will install the free version.

http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/vbecommerce.php?do=product&productid=22

eagle326
07-18-2012, 07:36 PM
I am interested in this one, but I don't want the free version. The Pro version is $85, so I am thinking about it. I am spending a lot of money on this site already. I'll take a decision soon. Worse case scenario, I will install the free version.

http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/vbecommerce.php?do=product&productid=22

RedJohn ; I'm of the opinion that if $85.00 will get the set up you like ; Then I 'm more than willing to help cover your cost. You have set up a site here for people who truly believe in helping those of like mind. I know you'd probably like to do it on your own but we are family ( colony ) here. We cannot expect you to carry the full burden of this site when many of us ( WANT ) a certain feature.

Family is family ; And it's my duty to help you make this the most informative and fun site on the net towards prepping in it's most natural sense.
In closing ; may I ask of you to let us help you in this endeavor?

As Always:
George

Kodiak
07-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Yep I agree, I'm more than willing to help with the cost.

LUNCHBOX
07-18-2012, 09:56 PM
I would have "liked" what Eagle and Kodiak posted if I could....I am in on the cost also.

bacpacker
07-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Me to. Tell me what I need to do.

LUNCHBOX
07-21-2012, 06:19 AM
Well, whether they (Stig/Redjohn) "like" it or not we're going to help. BP, a few members have contacted me in regards to the site needing some help (and we're gonna)...your more than welcome to pm or text me.

RedJohn
07-21-2012, 06:50 AM
Nah, don't worry. I'll get it and install it. Not today as I am at my mom's, but I'll try tomorrow. I do appreciate the offers though.

ETA: Just installed the "LITE" version because Paypal is giving me grief, but I cannot see the icons. I'll deal with this when I come back.

The Stig
07-21-2012, 03:45 PM
RJ and I remain eternally grateful that you guys & gals are willing to support the colony like that. It means the world to us that you believe in what we've all been working towards to the point you'd be willing to donate.

We're working out a number of details and always trying to improve things a little bit here and there so improve the user experience.

bacpacker
07-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Speaking for myself, but probably others on here as well. I look thru several different forums, both for prepping and many various topics of interest to me. This site is always the first one I check out and time permitting several times a day. The folks on here care about each other, the content covers the gamut of topics related to why we are here, and there is always opportunity to expand into something new. Sometimes it leads to a good revelation, others just don't work out. But folks are willing to flesh out ideas instead of just going off half cocked and shutting something down because it may not be the standard way of looking at things.

Bottom Line to me, this is a killer site and I am greatful for all the hard work, effort, thought, and financial sacrifice that has went into this site and am more than happy to be able to contribute to the betterment of this site. Just a little pay back of what I get from it.

Stormfeather
07-21-2012, 05:30 PM
RJ, I have to agree with the opionion of the others here, if you need help, and it involves a donation on the colonys part, please dont hesitate to ask. Im sure many of us here have no issues with donating a few dollars here and there to help with the day to day operation of this site. Not only is it extremely informative, but we also have developed a rapport amongst the members, that makes it like a family here. And family helps family.

- - - Updated - - -

You 2 come by my place at the wrong time and you will have the chance to man on man bond. Does that help? =)

Somehow, this statement worries me. . .

helomech
07-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Wanted to like a bunch of posts in this thread.

You could also do a premium membership where we could pay to have extra things. Like bigger inbox, a seperate part of the forum we can enter no one else can. That type of thing.

Sniper-T
07-21-2012, 08:11 PM
I've donated before, I'll donate again! This site rocks, and it is a small price to pay to help out!

^ hmm, private quarters eh? What happens in the Sniper's Den... Stays in the Sniper's Den!

rofl

helomech
07-21-2012, 08:38 PM
^ hmm, private quarters eh? What happens in the Sniper's Den... Stays in the Sniper's Den!

rofl

Two sites I am on have a premium membership and I am premium member on both. They each have a section that is only for members.

The Stig
07-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Two sites I am on have a premium membership and I am premium member on both. They each have a section that is only for members.

What is discussed in the premium area that isn't out in the open forum?

helomech
07-21-2012, 09:20 PM
What is discussed in the premium area that isn't out in the open forum?

It is just less strict. On one forum pretty much anything goes, on another it is more about discussing things amongst members and not the general public. Just more pirvacy.

The Stig
07-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Roger that...thanks Helo

Always looking for ideas to steal that would be cool to use here at the colony.

Twitchy
07-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Roger that...thanks Helo

Always looking for ideas to steal that would be cool to use here at the colony.

I always liked "The Ring" from the other site...

RedJohn
07-21-2012, 11:12 PM

I was against it from the get go. It brought too much bad blood.

RedJohn
07-21-2012, 11:13 PM
You could also do a premium membership where we could pay to have extra things. Like bigger inbox, a seperate part of the forum we can enter no one else can. That type of thing.

We have that ... but it is free. It is the reward for participating here.

izzyscout21
07-23-2012, 01:14 AM

I was against it from the get go. It brought too much bad blood.

^^ this

RedJohn
07-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Pro version has been purchased and will be installed soon.

RedJohn
07-23-2012, 11:42 AM
The like button as weell as an ulike and a thank button are online. All stats from the other system have also been imported.

STOP WHINING NOW! :o

The Stig
07-23-2012, 11:49 AM
RJ - you are fucking awesome!

Thanks man.....good stuff and much appreciated.

What is the intended difference between "thanks" and "like" ?

Sniper-T
07-23-2012, 11:57 AM
I like what you posted, I like your train of thought

Thank you for providing that info for me, Thank you for sharing.

I dislike the condescending manner in which you made me feel... Oh wait, that's other sites.

And thanks RJ!!

RedJohn
07-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Well, it came like that as default. But you may want to thanks for my work (like you just did) or like what I said.

Also, I can create many other buttons if needed. I can also have the stats on the left collapse if you think that it takes too much space.

bacpacker
07-23-2012, 12:13 PM
The updates look good RJ. It'll be interesting to see what gets used and what doesn't. Thank you for the time and effort you put into making this site the best around.

izzyscout21
07-23-2012, 01:09 PM
RJ, I like the new setup.

What other buttons can you add?

RedJohn
07-23-2012, 01:13 PM
What other buttons can you add?

Anything my little heart desires. ;)

It is unlimited really.

The Stig
07-23-2012, 01:18 PM
"The Stig is Sexy" would be a good button

Sniper-T
07-23-2012, 01:18 PM
for the upcoming 'thread of the month' how about a 'nominate' button?

izzyscout21
07-23-2012, 01:21 PM
a self destruct button?

bacpacker
That is a killer idea. It may make it easier at the end of the month.

izzyscout21
a "shut the front door" button.

RedJohn
07-23-2012, 03:34 PM
a self destruct button?

rm -rf /

RedJohn
07-23-2012, 03:35 PM
"The Stig is Sexy" would be a good button

It needs to be a useful button. :p

for the upcoming 'thread of the month' how about a 'nominate' button?

Good idea. I can look at it.

ladyhk13
07-24-2012, 05:25 AM
I think we need a "RJ RULES" button. Dude, you never cease to amaze me. You are awesome :))

The Stig
07-24-2012, 12:21 PM
I see the "The Stig is Sexy" button is not taking off as I anticipated. :confused:

So far I'd say dump the "thanks for this post" button since it duplicates the "like this post" button IMO. Then you can also get rid of the stats for "thanks Received/Given" under the persons icon and clean that up a tad. Keep the stats for likes received/given and dislikes given/received. I kinda like those being visible (although I can't explain why).

Not saying to do that today. We should probably give it some time. That's just the way I'm leaning right now.

Sniper-T
07-24-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm not so sure that the dislike is even necessary. We've had the option of 'un-liking' a post previously... was it ever used?

Like/thanks amalgamation... sure, essentially they have the same purpose

The stig is sexy? can't tell from the pics you posted. let's see something that will validate that statement. tighy whiteys? rubber suit? leather pants? large paper bag on head?

izzyscout21
07-24-2012, 01:55 PM
What about a "LMAO" button?

The Stig
07-24-2012, 02:19 PM
The stig is sexy? can't tell from the pics you posted. let's see something that will validate that statement. tighy whiteys? rubber suit? leather pants? large paper bag on head?

Well I hate to derail the thread but here's a pic of me as a younger fella...

http://festivalofspeed.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/stig.jpg

izzyscout21
07-24-2012, 02:21 PM
^^LMAO

The Stig
07-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Furthermore...

http://www.deviantart.com/download/308682011/the_stig_is_bringing_sexy_back__by_topgearcrazy-d53s4kb.jpg

Ok...enough dumbassadry....back to our regularly scheduled thread. :)