PDA

View Full Version : Masks or rubber gloves, is there a need?

LUNCHBOX
07-13-2012, 07:07 AM
I have seen there are a few of us who keep operator gloves on hand. What about rubber gloves? I have seen a pair or two in a med kit but don't you think they would be a good idea to have more on hand. If you think a cold (or worse) is bad now when meds are available, what about later? Then there are the basic N95 masks. They are not costly by any means. If you have watched any of the scenario movies like Carriers, Contagion or any other....they have gloves and masks. It just seems that it is a couple of good items to have around. I for one don't want to handle or breath in something if I could have prevented it before hand.

It may not seem like a big deal but next time your out and about look around at who might be coughing their way into your home now, not to mention later. Not being paranoid, just protective.

Kodiak
07-13-2012, 09:38 AM
I have both rubber gloves and N95 masks on hand just in case, I do not however keep them in my BoB. Ive been meaning to update my bag for awhile and i think ill add these two items to mine and my wifes.

Gunfixr
07-13-2012, 11:20 AM
I prefer the Nitrile gloves, and have several boxes, which contain 100prs each box.
The Nitriles are tougher, and resist many chemicals which dissolve the regular rubber version.

Don't have any N95 masks, probably should get some. I do, however, have either two or three gas masks, with spare filters for each.
With something like this, a full face mask isn't necessary, so a paint or dust respirator could be used. No, they're not disposable, but you can replace the filters, cheaper than gas filters, IIRC. Also, they're built tougher, so in the field or in the rain, a respirator might be better in some instances.

kmab
07-13-2012, 05:42 PM
I recall a segment on Doomsday Preppers (Yea I know but, I got some decent ideas there). The lady built 'pandemic kits' and gave them away. Having one of the kits is probably a good idea:

- Bucket with lid - I reused a plastic cat litter bucket
- Isolation gowns like they sometimes make you wear when visiting hosptial patients
- Disposable shoe covers
- Hair Covers
- Goggles
- Several packs of plastic drop cloths - for isolating parts of your house
- Duct tape - for isolating parts of your house
- N95 masks
- Large bottle Antibacterial hand sanitizer
- Antibacterial air freshner like Lysol
- Nitrile or latex gloves - I buy nitrile - never know who is latex allergic

Make sure the quantities in the bucket are large enough to support any visitors that may come calling

Her website is http://www.arkready.com

Grumpy Old Man
07-13-2012, 06:00 PM
I get my nitrile gloves at Harbor Freight for a very reasonable price.

mitunnelrat
07-13-2012, 06:35 PM
I've got a few N95 masks, but I'm definitely one of the type whose only rubber gloves are in his med kits. I should pick some up.

Twitchy
07-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Funny thing, Of all things I dont have I do happen to have these, and coerced my friend into building a bugout bag he keeps in his car a all times...

In the kit is a box of N95's (2 pair) and a box of nitrile gloves...

Gunfixr
07-13-2012, 07:36 PM
I get my nitrile gloves at Harbor Freight for a very reasonable price.

Me, too.

TOOTHPICK
07-13-2012, 08:39 PM
I think it's a great idea to have these on hand. I use rubber gloves for a lot of stuff around the house. I use them when I work on my truck, quad, motorcycle, and even mixing chemicals. It's very convenient to not have to wash your hands when they get all slimy. The masks, well they kinda speak for themselves, I hate even breathing in cigarette smoke so I sure as heck don't want to breath anything else in if I don't have to. now I'm not one of those people that wear them everywhere, but I do have both items readily available. The fiance used to work in the medical field (nurse), and she would bring home pockets full of alcohol prep pads, good medical grade gloves, and the doctor type masks (which I have the N92's also) that she didn't realize that she still had when she left work at night. I bought a box of good quality gloves for use around the house and also for SHTF type situations. Good all around items IMO!

bacpacker
07-14-2012, 01:39 AM
I have gotten several boxes of both nytril and rubber gloves and use them every now and then (sevin dust on the taters). i need to spread them around to some different places around the stored goods. Maybe break a box down into group s of 6-10 to store in BOB's, food boxes, etc.

I also need to pick up a few boxes of N95's. I don't have near enough of those around.

Something else I thought about and never did anything with. Tyvek jackets and pants, rubber , or tyvek booties. Who knows if there will ever be something nuclear, or even bad chemical to have to deal with. You will want this equipment to get out and do much of anything. I hope Alpha Tea will chime in on this with his recommendations.

KMAB welcome to the forum. Glad you found us and look forward to hearing from you. I saw the same episode of DoomPrep as well. This bucket she made up were pretty well thought out. That would sure be worth having 3-4 of those on hand, or whatever fits your groups plans.

Echo2
07-14-2012, 01:58 AM
yup....and the heavy duty PVC gloves too...and a couple aprons.

If you have to move a carcase....better have the equipment.

A good thing to have is a few tyvek suits too....with hoods.

bacpacker
07-14-2012, 02:06 AM
Totally agree on the hoods. Hell bonett's would be better than nothing. The heavy aprons and gloves would be useful in several situations.

I try and keep at least 2 pair of gloves in every med kit I have.

The Stig
07-15-2012, 06:48 PM
All my first aid and blow out kits contain several pairs of nytrile gloves.

My major kits contain ziplock bags with a pile of gloves.

Don't have too many masks however. Probably should look at that.

LUNCHBOX
07-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Think about the glove issue this way....where I work there are guys we call the "black glove brigade" due to every time an individual needs an attitude adjustment they may/may not throw on the black leather gloves and go to work. The issue with this is that you have no idea what your coming in contact with, you put them on, pound somebody (I mean assist them with an issue) then take them off and put them back in your pocket. See anything wrong with this? (if you don't, I have some gloves to sell) It is just the reason to have some disposable rubber gloves--whatever the need you use them then pitch them.

The Stig
07-15-2012, 07:02 PM
I would also imagine post nearly any sort of SHTF event, from small to big, there will be lots of goo, slime, mess, sludge, and muck to make for a fantastic stew of toxic pathogens.

Between this and your "attitude adjustment" example I think I need to rethink my mask/glove policy.

Thanks Brother Lunchbox.

ladyhk13
07-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Yes Yes Yes!!!! And don't forget that there are a lot of people who are allergic to latex and will blister like hot oil was poured on them (my sister is one of them) if they are touched with latex so please try to remember to always ask the person if they are allergic if you are going to treat them.
I find myself avoiding people in public who are sneezing or coughing now. We were at Home Depot the other day and a lady in front of us was coughing and I told dh to hold his breath and get in the other isle and move around them fast. Am I becoming paranoid? Who knows but I'm not taking any chances these days. I really do hate to be in public places or crowds and try to stay away as much as possible and always pay attention for people who are coughing or sneezing. Terrible thing to have to think about but it's becoming our reality. India has a strain of TB that antibiotcs will not kill...look at all the indians we have traveling here.

bacpacker
07-15-2012, 11:55 PM
We keep a tub of antibacterial wipes in all our vehicles and use them as soon as we come out of a public store. Being aware of folks around you is critical and not just for illness. The way folks are now days, you just never know what's coming next. Paranoid, some folks would say yes. Me, I just say aware. Big difference in my mind.

ladyhk13
07-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Good, there's hope for me yet! Public restrooms are terrible. I don't want to touch anything in them. I always grab a paper towel to turn the water off so I don't have to touch the faucet after I have washed my hands since everyone touches it before they have washed them and all the germs are on it to begin with...kind of a waste to wash just to touch a dirty faucet later if you think about it.

bacpacker
07-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Single serve wipes are great for that. I'm not a germ a phobe by any means, but somethings are just nasty.