PDA

View Full Version : 3M Security Film for Windows

The Stig
02-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Security Film for Windows (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Residential/Safety-Security_Window_Films/)

Has anybody used one of these products on the windows in their home?

The house we are purchasing has a lot of windows and glass (went temporarily insane when we fell in love with the place). The front doors are basically big glass panels so I worry about smash and grabs. The rear wall is almost entirely windows. I worry about breakage from storms (and aforementioned creeps).

I'm looking for something to keep the windows from shattering and try to beef up security a little bit.

Any experience you might have would be appreciated.

Kodiak
02-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Havn't used it but it looks promising. I wonder how hard it would be to keep the wrinkles out while putting in on?

The Stig
02-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Havn't used it but it looks promising. I wonder how hard it would be to keep the wrinkles out while putting in on?

I found a professional instillation company in my area so that would solve the wrinkle problem. Then again, it may create a cost issue too.

ak474u
02-25-2011, 12:56 AM
It's good stuff, there is a "hurricane film" style that helps stop smash and grabs, but I THINK there is one that is a light tint that stops 100% of UV radiation which will in turn lower your utility bills. Something to think about.

Chubbs
02-25-2011, 01:20 PM
By looking at the website I believe it is applied like a window tint or a vinyl sticker. Spaying soapy water on the window before appling the film will allow you to correct or manuever it into the right position, also allowing you to squeegee the air pockets out of the center. Now if you are doing a large window it will becomes difficult.

x-cop
02-25-2011, 07:19 PM
I've seen something similar called shatter guard

The Stig
02-26-2011, 09:40 PM
I've seen something similar called shatter guard

Thanks man. I'll check them out further.

Window & Glass Protection Films By ShatterGARD ShatterGUARD. Available In Your Hometown!! (http://www.shattergard.com/home.html)

ShatterGARD markets and installs a series of incredibly strong window films that are designed to prevent glass from shattering. Our unique maintenance-free and highly scratch-resistant products improve the structural integrity of any window. In the unlikely event the window breaks, our film will help hold the broken shards together thus reducing the likelihood of window penetration and razor sharp flying glass. And when applied by an authorized technician, ShatterGARD films are virtually undetectable to the human eye. ShatterGARD films reduce the need for unsightly burglar bars or hurricane shutters. And unlike costly ballistic glass, ShatterGARD ™ products are guaranteed not to yellow or distort overtime.

LUNCHBOX
05-30-2011, 11:27 PM
"ShatterGARD films reduce the need for unsightly burglar bars or hurricane shutters" --This sounds good but would you trust a film on a window to do the job of burglar bars? I like the difficult visual effect it could cause but I'm not sold on the safety statement.