PDA

View Full Version : Storage Addition to House

The Stig
07-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Working on a home improvement project that will effect the preps and wanted to share it with everybody.

Here at Casa Del Stig we had this odd little porch directly off the master bedroom. While not as tall it looked somewhat like this one.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-07-14_12-35-11_687.jpg?t=1342287884

The builder of our home went bankrupt and we bought it out of foreclosure. The little porch off our master bedroom, and the odd shaped one at the other end of the house (shown above) were likely going to be tied together with some sort of massive patio. Alas the builder went Tango Uniform prior to completing the expansive patio and we were left with two smaller, and much more useless mini-patios.

The patio off our bedroom presented a number of problems. Besides a horrific security risk (french doors opening into a bedroom?!?!?) it was not sealed well against the elements. In addition to air loss (costing money that could go into other preps) and letting in bugs (nasty) it presented another big risk: flooding.

Even though we have hurricane shutters for the doors from the mini-patio into our bedroom, with the wind at the right angle it would drive water right into our house. Clearly not good.

I had originally wanted the doors removed and the wall covered over with siding.

Mrs Stig suggested erecting walls on the outline of the patio (sort of a triangle shape) and convert it into a big-ass closet. We could add frames following the edge of the concrete to frame up the walls, put siding on the outside, and blamo.....big ass storage area.

I love that woman.

ETA Fun Fact: The windows to the immediate left and right of the two green chairs is my office. Directly on the other side of that window is the desk from where I write these mindbending posts.

ETA 2: Please excuse the clutter and mess. I hate that area being so messy but we had a big storm the other day that blew things around like mad. The shepherds hooks are in the process of being relocated. And yes.....yes the grass needs mowed.

The Stig
07-14-2012, 06:02 PM
I had a contractor who has helped me before assist me with the framing and siding. I didn't want that all jacked up since it would be visible.

Here is the end result from the outside:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-07-14_12-34-31_700.jpg?t=1342287836

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-07-14_12-34-14_578.jpg?t=1342287453

You can clearly see in the first picture where the new wall and siding was added. The row of windows to the left is our master-bedroom, the ones to the right are our kitchen/living room. The new siding is a bit clunky from the rear of the house but really the only ones looking at that is us so I'm not too worried. The little gray square in the middle of the new siding is an electrical outlet.

Right behind the spot where I took that picture is a big tree. That's where I'll put a generator (with a big chain around the tree for security). That outlet will provide a spot to backfill the house and at least power a few things post hurricane.

The bottom picture is the view from the side.

The Stig
07-14-2012, 06:23 PM
This is the view of the enclosed area from inside the master bedroom:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-07-14_12-33-14_40.jpg?t=1342287375

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-07-14_12-33-33_250.jpg?t=1342287413

The area is a bit of an odd shape but basically forms a triangle that measures 102 x 99 x 117.

Between the studs I've hung backed insulation and all the seams have been caulked and/or foam sealed to keep out creepy crawlies and the elements. As you can see I'm in the process of hanging pegboard for the walls. I decided on pegboard to give Mrs Stig maximum flexibility to hang things and then move them around. Once she moves in the free-standing shelving units I'll likely hang a few shelves in here too.

Sadly, there's no square angles in this project so my pegboard isn't exactly flush.

Being that we're in the south we have no basement and storage space is at a premium. Shortly after moving in I hung shelves galore in Mrs Stigs laundry room but she doesn't exactly use the space well (she's not one for organization). That said, after 14 months of gentle prodding she's going to try to tackle organizing her laundry room to open up space for a deep-freeze.

Some of those items, plus a number of other items currently being housed in the garage, will be moved to the new closet. *Somehow* the Mrs' stuff has been stacked in front of my big prep shelf in the garage (discussed in THIS (http://www.shtfready.com/threads/371-Reorganization-of-supplies)thread). So in addition to increasing the square footage of storage space we'll be able to clean up the clutter that is currently blocking the main supply shelf.

So anyway, not exactly the most exciting project in the world but it is one that allows us to greatly expand our internal storage space and fill it with more prep items.

Echo2
07-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Nice....any time you can increase your storage area and increase security in the same throw of the stone is a win in my book.....would have been cool to have set a CMU wall up and make a hardened room.

Now you just need to make some good heavy duty shutters that lock from the inside...:)...don't forget the gun ports.

Sniper-T
07-14-2012, 06:38 PM
great idea! Stig, She is a keeper!

The Stig
07-14-2012, 10:17 PM
I got the rest of the pegboard hung and now Mrs Stig is starting to move in some items.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-07-14_17-13-15_967.jpg?t=1342304076

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-07-14_17-12-46_313.jpg?t=1342304128

We've "re-purposed" an old cabinet that belonged to my parents and doesn't fit our decor. She found some cloth tote/bin things that just happen to fit perfectly in the shelf. The plastic "tampico" shelf was given to us by some friends. No idea where they got it but it's perfect for bulk storage.

The black totes against the other wall are for her arts & crafts supplies. Not exactly "prep" related but it will help clear up other areas that are more prep focused.

She'll also be moving her sewing table and other supplies into the area, or so she says now. I'm guessing she'll take a number of cracks at it to get things the way she wants. She's not super-fantastic about maximizing space usage so I'll probably give her some pointers later on (much to her glee :/) .

Once it's situated they'll be some more shelves hung and then she can use the pegboard as needed with hooks.

bacpacker
07-15-2012, 12:02 AM
Great use of available space. Closing up a area of security and one that is causing waste is a great thing, when they are done together is an excellent thing.

ladyhk13
07-15-2012, 06:13 AM
You do realize that when it's all done and said you will be lucky to get 1 sq/in of space to store something that YOU want, right? I have that nasty little habit. Kind of give me and inch and I'll take all 3000 sq/ft. Maybe you should be looking at some alternative spaces for you to "close in" around the house for you to use for your preps. GO MRS. STIG!!!! Oh, and you're such a nice guy to do that for her....:)

The Stig
07-15-2012, 05:46 PM
You do realize that when it's all done and said you will be lucky to get 1 sq/in of space to store something that YOU want, right?

Oh trust me Lhk.....I know. I know.

:(

LUNCHBOX
07-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Stig, I remember my days in Miss, It seemed no one had a basement around us but everyone had shelters in the side of a hill (makes so much sense) Oh weel, it looked like you have a decent attic or at least some space up there. Have you used any of it or am I just reading to much in to it? Maybe a drop-down step latter of elevator....

The Stig
07-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Stig, I remember my days in Miss, It seemed no one had a basement around us but everyone had shelters in the side of a hill (makes so much sense) Oh weel, it looked like you have a decent attic or at least some space up there. Have you used any of it or am I just reading to much in to it? Maybe a drop-down step latter of elevator....

Good eye....there is a large amount of attic storage space already and I can easily double that with a couple sheets of plywood.

Right now I've only got non-critical items up there for a couple reasons. First is its' about 1,000,000,000F up there in the summer time. The other is security. I'd hate for my roof to be damaged in a storm and ruin something critical.

That said, it's an excellent place for non-perishable items or bulky items.

Next step is the building of a legit shed for more storage.

Taz Baby
07-15-2012, 08:47 PM
I hope you hugged Mrs. Stig for the Idea and Yes you are a great guy for listening to her suggestion. Teamwork is a great thing. Now go look at the rest of the house for wasted space that the builder left. If you have a walk in closet or a large one, look to see if you can make a secret room to hide in if an intruder comes in. I had a master bedroom large closest in one of my houses that I put a small room in so the kids had a place to hide just in case. Looks great, way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ladyhk13
07-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Stig you can always have more roof vents added if there isn't enough air flow up there in order to help drop the temp a bit, add some blow in insulation under your plywood before you lay your plywood and it will make a big difference winter and summer (just have to cover the vents with plastic - from the inside during the winter so it helps keep the heat in). We did that with ours - blew 16" insulation everywhere, dh laid plywood only in the areas he wanted to put stuff though or we could have a HUGE space up there. I think if we were going to stay here I would even add insulation on the ceiling and put drywall up and that would make it kickass for storage. If your space isn't super big you could do that and create a great space for stuff like toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, paper plates,..stuff that you buy in bulk and don't plan on using until shtf and won't go bad. You could even take them out of the plastic and get some tubs and repack them so they are all nice and neat and won't be falling over plus if mice get up there they won't nest in it.
I am sooooo looking forward to a new house that we can actually get the stuff we want for prepping. I think it's so much easier to do it from the beginning instead of trying to fit prepping into a house someone else already built.