PDA

View Full Version : Sound Familiar?

TOOTHPICK
07-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Normalcy bias
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The normalcy bias, or normality bias, refers to a mental state people enter when facing a disaster. It causes people to underestimate both the possibility of a disaster occurring and its possible effects. This often results in situations where people fail to adequately prepare for a disaster, and on a larger scale, the failure of governments to include the populace in its disaster preparations. The assumption that is made in the case of the normalcy bias is that since a disaster never has occurred then it never will occur. It also results in the inability of people to cope with a disaster once it occurs. People with a normalcy bias have difficulties reacting to something they have not experienced before. People also tend to interpret warnings in the most optimistic way possible, seizing on any ambiguities to infer a less serious situation.[1]

Can anyone name a few people that can fit in this category?

LUNCHBOX
07-15-2012, 01:44 AM
A few people???????

I have thought all along that when there is a change themedia/.gov downplays or shows so much that issues just become the norm.

Examples......people really need to prep--lets make a prepping show/shows and make fun of them.
EOW/Miyans Calender--lets talk it to death and throw them in commercials everywhere.

It just seems issues become so regular as to de-sensitize everyone to possible major problems...

Of course......this is just my opinion.

TOOTHPICK
07-15-2012, 02:08 AM
Times like this I miss the "like" button... ahhhh hell, I'll just hug ya next time I see ya!

Baker
07-15-2012, 03:38 AM
I know more than my fair share of a few, sadly.

Kodiak
07-15-2012, 04:29 AM
What are you guys talking about?! Nothing bad will ever happen, and if it does we will always come out on top just like in the movies. And if it does get really, really baaad, the Gov't will protect and take care of us...no need to worry. :cool:

Echo2
07-15-2012, 03:03 PM
So they came up with a definition for the word "wussy"

We have raised an entire generation of folks that haven't the ability to cope with the real world....but they sure do think medicate it away.

The Stig
07-15-2012, 06:35 PM
It causes people to underestimate both the possibility of a disaster occurring and its possible effects. This often results in situations where people fail to adequately prepare for a disaster, and on a larger scale, the failure of governments to include the populace in its disaster preparations.

It is amazing how people use this as a defense mechanism to deal with avoiding reality.

I'd guess that most people would rather avoid reality than deal with it head on.

Grumpy Old Man
07-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Normalcy bias
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The normalcy bias, or normality bias, refers to a mental state people enter when facing a disaster. It causes people to underestimate both the possibility of a disaster occurring and its possible effects. This often results in situations where people fail to adequately prepare for a disaster, and on a larger scale, the failure of governments to include the populace in its disaster preparations. The assumption that is made in the case of the normalcy bias is that since a disaster never has occurred then it never will occur. It also results in the inability of people to cope with a disaster once it occurs. People with a normalcy bias have difficulties reacting to something they have not experienced before. People also tend to interpret warnings in the most optimistic way possible, seizing on any ambiguities to infer a less serious situation.[1]

Can anyone name a few people that can fit in this category?

Or you could follow Grumpy's guidelines;

1) SHTF for someone every day

2) Be Prepared

3) If you think something won't happen to you, you are usually wrong

4) If your friends and relatives don't get it now, they probably never will

5) Hope for the best, but prepare and expect the worst

6) Murphy was an optimist

The Stig
07-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Grumpy....

This is the sound of me clicking "cyber like" on your post.

Well said.

Stg1swret
07-21-2012, 04:40 PM
I think of it more as the 'Alfred E. Newman" complex 'What me worry", after all the goverment will come to my rescue. Look at how well FEMA and the rest of the alphabet soup agencies did in Katrina. roflmao.