PDA

View Full Version : New set of mods for the Smart car

hank2222
07-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Someone asked if i still had the smart and i told them i did and i have add some things to the little car to make it more back dirt road friendly

here is the list of mods i have done so far

-rock plates
-nerf bars
-bull bar with light mounts on the bar for small 4.inch driving lights
-new 4.inch round driving lights with black color metal mesh guards on them
-custom engine skid plate to protect it as much as it can from the road gravel rocks and other things that can fly up from the road
-daystar 2.inch lift kit
-new black color off road style rims
-new truck tires for better handling on the combo gravel and dirt roads i drive on and better road handling on paved roads also
-k&n air intake set up to replace the unit air intake on the vehicle
-Boss new exhaust system
-Optima yellow top battey for all the electrical items that i run on the car
-BMS engine mount for inproved shifting of the vehicle
-S-Mann rear disc brake set up
-S-Mann front disc brake set up
-SILA Concepts Custom Stainless steel brake lines for front and rear disc brakes on the vehicle

I put about $5500,oo dollars into the vehicle to make it more back road friendly.I did get a ticket last month for driving 85 in a 65.on I40 coming home from work and the officer told me that it was the first time he ever saw a smart set up like mine

bacpacker
07-18-2012, 08:45 PM
With the air intake and exhaust changes, have you noticed any difference in fuel mileage or power? How much ground clearance do you have now? How improved is the braking?

Sniper-T
07-18-2012, 08:49 PM
How is the center of gravity? does it feel any more 'tippy'?

got pics?

Twitchy
07-18-2012, 08:51 PM
I was just going to ask for pics actually...

hank2222
07-18-2012, 09:17 PM
The fuel mileage has gone up with new air intake from the factory model .The mileage has inceased about 6 more miles to the gallon of fuel and it right now about 37 miles to 46.miles to the gallon and that driving intown along with highway speeds.Most of my driving in basic highway driving intill i get into town and then it on a four lane wide street intill i turn into the parkng lot at work .

The car does not feel tippy at all when i'm at normal driving speeds intown and at highway driving speed it drives like it did before .The lift kit and new wheels and tires and a few other things have inproved the car handling more of the area of a small race car feel when putting it through it paces in the daily drive into Phx for work

The brakes mods have inproved the stopping of the vehicle along with the new air intake has inproved the engine perfomance along with the new BMS engine mount has inproved the shifting of the vehicle which was not bad in the first place but now it alot smooth with no second gear lag as it was before on the engine

The lighting set up helps me when i drive down my new home dirt road because there is no street lights out where i live along with local wild life has a way of running out into the road at odd times and it helps spot them before they move onto the road .They light up the road pretty good along with when i pull into my house dirt road they light up the road to the house to see if anyone has been around the place

'm try to join the photoweb site that you guys use and i have not gotten my info back from them .

bacpacker
07-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Well all I can say is Excellent work. Sounds like all the mod's have had their intended effect. You can't beat that.

hank2222
07-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Well all I can say is Excellent work. Sounds like all the mod's have had their intended effect. You can't beat that.

Here is something i like to add most of the mods where more for the vehicle handling and perfomance when i was driving in off road conditions .Most of my basic everyday driving is not in town but for about 5.miles when i go and pay bills that i have .For most of my driving is highway driving down into surprize for work and that a 30.mile one way trip to work .

So i tend not to do alot of running around for folish reseason and when i do make the trip it for once a week to go to friends house for dinner or catch a movie and dinner on my off nights

izzyscout21
07-23-2012, 01:16 AM
I like the mods, Hank.

Any chance for a pic?

hank2222
07-23-2012, 05:21 PM
The picture in my Avatar is the car with the panels pure white color with black color rims , For some reason my uploading from the cloud to the site we use here is giving me trouble using the ipad only .I gues i'm going to have to go over to a friend house and see if i can completely reload the whole set of photo's i got from the person who liked the car and shot a few photo's for a magazine article on the smart scene in Az

Sniper-T
07-23-2012, 05:26 PM
a link to that magazine article would be nice too

Stormfeather
07-23-2012, 09:18 PM
hell, email me the pics and I will post them for ya! If you want to, you can reach me at strmfeathr at the yahoo and I will post them!