PDA

View Full Version : Camo hideout discovered in park

izzyscout21
07-19-2012, 01:35 AM
Story from here:

http://news.yahoo.com/camouflaged-residence-discovered-california-park-161429318--abc-news-topstories.html

An elaborate and illegal camouflaged residence, outfitted with bunk beds and a barbecue patio, has been discovered near a Los Angeles County animal refuge.
Eight months ago, Robert Downs, 51, set up a small structure in the woods near the Tujunga Ponds Wildlife Sanctuary in Sunland, Calif. To hide his home from police, Downs, who was previously homeless, sprayed it with camouflage paint and cut down nearby trees, said Johnie Jones, a deputy in the Parks Bureau of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The structure, which Downs built with materials he bought at Home Depot, contained four bunk beds built into the walls, tables, shelves and fire extinguishers. Outside were a rock patio, a barbecue grill and more tables. An American flag was draped over Downs' bed.
Downs stood a chance of evading major legal trouble for his hidden house, but sheriff's deputies also discovered that he cultivated eight marijuana plants outside the structure, a felony because he did not have a permit to do so, Jones said.
When Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department deputies found Downs's residence while on patrol Monday, he told them he had been living in the 13.5-acre wildlife sanctuary for more than a year, Jones said.
"He seems like he had some skills," Jones said. "I've seen homeless sweeps before where people have brought tents or mattresses, but nothing this elaborate."
Downs was arrested on charges of marijuana cultivation and building a house on county property, Jones said. He is being held on a $30,000 bond, Jones said.
Downs was found with two others who were cited with infractions and then released, Jones said.
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Works will remove the structure from the park over the next two weeks.

LUNCHBOX
07-19-2012, 04:34 AM
Got to give him his due for trying. To bad there hitting him so hard.

msomnipotent
07-19-2012, 05:57 AM
I rarely disagree with posters on here, but "hitting him so hard"? Really? He is an illegal pot grower. He is camping at an animal refuge and probably eating the animals that are owned by the refuge. He obviously has carpentry skills yet is unable to fit in with society for whatever reason is his choosing. Can't find a job and down on your luck so you shoot some wild animals to feed your family, go right ahead, sir! Somehow loose your home for whatever reason and set up camp on your family/friend's back 40 and live off the land, go right ahead. But set up a pot shop on land owned by a wildlife center that tax dollars are supporting? No! Not in your wildest dreams. Get a job, own the land, then do whatever you want with it and I will support you 100%.

Sniper-T
07-19-2012, 09:57 AM
I gotta agree with MS on this one. Had it not been for the weed, I woulda agreed with LB. Either way though, location, location, location! there has got to be better, less mainstream locations in CA to drop off grid. 1-2 plants - personal use, I don't think they would have been so harsh. 8 plants - small time dealer. The cabin and gear is probably paid for by selling. too bad though; he is one SHTF event too early, otherwise he would have been stylin'

Zombiehuntereky
07-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Thinks someone took Ranger's Urban Survival a lil bit too serious.

izzyscout21
07-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Had it not been for the weed, I woulda agreed with Izzy...........

How? I didn't say anything...........

MS, I'm willing to bet that since LUNCHBOX is in Law Enforcement, he probably missed the part about the pot grow......................

Sniper-T
07-19-2012, 11:55 AM
oops... meant LB

msomnipotent
07-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Is it just me, or does my other post seem much more bitchier than I intended? I was going for a more "O M G no way!" kind of vibe. Sorry.

But even if there wasn't pot involved, I still think setting up shop in an animal sanctuary is wrong and he got what he deserved. I would be inclined to be lenient if he was just camping out in a regular forest preserve or something, but he didn't. I'm glad that there was no mention of hunting or I might have gone ape crazy.

And I think 8 plants are a little more than personal use.

Grumpy Old Man
07-19-2012, 03:41 PM
That's a typical Kommiefornicastan story. The County (LA) is also doing evictions in Antelope Valley, Griffith Park, etc. And yes 8 plants is more than personal use, unless your smoking like a chimney. That's a cash crop yield of over 12 lbs. He was probably selling it to a dispensary and making out like a bandit. It's extremely weird living out here. I can't wait to retire and move.

tompnoid
07-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Man when iw as a kid like 15 or 16 i became homeless for a few years after juvy turned me loose i grew weed in the woods made some money got a place got a job and moved up the food chain. Honestly the government should of left this guy alone instead of forcing him to use the city provided homeless shelters full of lice and disease. I am guessing thier was alot better things for the police to be doing other then harassing the homeless who decided to live off public land. Its our land not the laws who cares if he was growing weed its not like he was out here raping killing and murdering like some hoodlum would have been right up the street but the cops aren't interested in actually having to work and do thier jobs.

mitunnelrat
07-19-2012, 07:34 PM
While there are laws I don't personally agree with I would suggest some caution in how they're discussed here.

As for the squatter, I'm impressed by what he was able to build and how long he remained undetected in it. I'm sure he understood the risks of his actions, it sounds too well organized for him not to.

I wouldn't be surprised if the jail time for the illegal activities is an accepted cost of doing business to him.

Kodiak
07-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Sounds like he has some survival skills that 90% of the population lack, and marijuana will have its uses post shtf whether you agree or not.

Disclaimer: I do not use or condone the use of marijuana.

Grumpy Old Man
07-19-2012, 10:35 PM
For the record, he was 70 miles west of me, thank the Lord. But even out here we have squatters living in boarded up developments. But the guy was pretty crafty. And the other part to this is he won't do time for the simple reason that Fed court has ordered prisoner release because of overcrowding. So the rat bastiges bus them out to smaller communities like mine to relieve the pressure on the system. I typically sleep with one eye open.

Counting the days...........

Kodiak
07-20-2012, 04:46 AM
I feel for you Grumpy, Lunchbox and I both work in law enforcement so we deal with the scum of the earth everyday. Keep your guard up.

LUNCHBOX
07-20-2012, 05:03 AM
Got to give him his due for trying. To bad there hitting him so hard.

Not to start any arguments about my comment but I was looking at this situation in a survival mentality. This guy is jobless, homeless (we don't know why) and he is just trying to get by. Don't get me wrong....I don't agree with anything that requires the law to be broken or condone what he did. IIRC I have read in other posts how "some of us" would do what it takes to make it through a scenario. In this incident....this is his SHTF scenaio. Thats all I meant. I take no offense in how others feel about my post.