PDA

View Full Version : Corn Prices and Your Grocery Bill

The Stig
07-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Original story from smart money blog....
(http://blogs.smartmoney.com/advice/2012/07/18/rising-corn-prices-and-your-grocery-bill/)

Rising Corn Prices and Your Grocery Bill
By Jack Hough

Corn prices are nearing the record highs of last summer as the U.S. Midwest suffers its worst drought since 1956. Shoppers should expect higher grocery bills, because corn is used in three-quarters of supermarket products.

But don’t panic. Overall cost hikes are likely to be modest.

“A 50% increase in the price of corn tends to raise total shopping bills by about 1%,” says Ricky Volpe, a research economist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Corn’s price has jumped 45% this summer. Of course, even a modest increase to shopping bills is unwelcome news for households on tight budgets.

Strange as it may seem, farm crops aren’t nearly the largest component of food prices. In 2008, just 15.8 cents of each dollar shoppers spent on food went to farms, according to the USDA. The rest paid for labor, packaging, transportation, advertising and more.

Broken down by industry, food processors, which turn crops into things like cereals, sweets and oils, capture nearly twice as much of consumers’ food spending as farmers, and foodservice companies, more than three times as much.

The effect of rising corn prices will vary sharply by food, however, based largely on the amount of processing involved. Farms collect just 7% of the retail price of cereal and baked goods, but 14% of ice cream, 37% of butter, and 46% of whole milk. They collect 51% of retail beef prices and 34% of pork.

For affected foods, prices should start to rise in about two months, says Mr. Volpe. The first items to be hit will be dairy and eggs, because of the relatively short time between when cows and chickens consume corn feed and those products go to market. Next will be meats, in order of animal size, starting with chicken and leading to beef.

How high might prices climb? The USDA issues food price forecasts on the 25th of each month. The June forecast (issued when corn was just under $6 a bushel, versus close to $7.80 now) called for price increases of 2.5% to 3.5% this year for food eaten at home, versus a 4.8% last year and a 2.8% yearly increase, on average, over the past two decades. The 2012 forecast includes 4% to 5% increases for beef, 1% to 2% for eggs and 2% to 3% for dairy.

The July 25 forecast will be more telling, because it will take greater account of higher corn prices. It will also reflect a change in the direction of energy prices. U.S. crude oil hit a nine-month low of $77.28 a barrel on June 28, but has since climbed 14%. Energy makes up 3.5 cents of each dollar shoppers spend on food.

Shoppers can make some rough estimates of their own. A bushel of corn is 56 pounds, so with corn near $7.80 a bushel, it costs about 14 cents a pound. It takes 2.6 pounds of corn to produce one pound of steer, 3.6 pounds per pound of hog and two pounds per pound of chicken, according to data collected by the National Corn Growers Association from various meat trade groups. Eggs require four pounds of corn per dozen and milk, 1.8 pounds of corn per gallon.

Food and beverages, including restaurant meals, make up 15% of the money a typical consumer spends, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

bacpacker
07-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Wonderful! One thing I noticed in the article, it takes about 2 months for retail prices to catch up. Sounds like we may have a little time to jump in and stock up on some things.

Onestep
07-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Yes BP, now is the time to stock up. A 2 month window isn't long and they will probably try to shorten that as well.

msomnipotent
07-19-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm already working on stocking up. I haven't noticed a 1% increase in anything. I had to stop what I was doing at Costco the other day and call my husband just to gossip about the prices. The chili we like went up over $3, so now it is almost $12. Just about everything I bought went up by dollars and not cents. Unfortunately, they were items I needed and not convenience items. Same thing at the grocery store yesterday, but a little less so. And I know I already said the same thing the last time I posted about shopping at Costco, but they raised the prices again!

What really has me worried is that there is no good way around the price increases. I would stop buying things like toaster strudels and cereal and just switch to home made things, but it seems that the prices on basics are going up faster than convenience foods.

tompnoid
07-19-2012, 05:51 PM
good thing i stocked up on meat 2 months ago cereal is getting pricy though.

JustAPrepper
07-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Our B/S chicken freezer stock is *way* low and we've got a decent sale going at the meat market but Evolver is still out of town and our freezers are jammed full. Without him here I can barely keep up with what I buy fresh and barely touch what's in our freezers but there's some bread, hamburger buns, hot dog buns, etc. that are taking up valuable real estate. All week I've been thinking about ditching them then all of a sudden Single-Guy from next door knocked on the door. His freezer is always empty and he always lets us use it when we need a temporary spot for overflow so I was saved! :) So after that was settled I went in to the Doom Room and took inventory. I can get 16 jars of chicken on the chicken shelf which is a full canner. I'm going to run by the big box store first and check their price on thighs since they are our favorite for eating fresh/frozen. If the price is right I'll stock up on those for the freezer then get the B/S breast for the canner. We're good on Beef. I bought a humongous hunk of Ribeye late last year, had it sliced then vac sealed the steaks. Aside from ground chuck it's really the only beef we eat as we (I) don't care for beef roast/stew/soup, etc. Next is bone-in chops. I've been Jonesin' for a good sale on those for the freezers and haven't seen one in literally months.

Also, there could be a *small* silver lining. A year or two ago there was another drought situation that killed off all the hay and dried up all the water sources for the livestock. Cattle ranchers had to cull their herds because there was no water and they couldn't get enough hay so they sent a lot of head to slaughter. The market was glutted for a short period and beef prices dropped...I think that's when I bought that Ribeye. But once that stock was gone the prices climbed again. I'm not sure if the cattle has had time to recover its numbers so I'm not sure there's enough left to glut the market again. Let's just say I'm not holding out for lower beef prices but the same thing could happen to pork and chicken. As this thing goes on keep watching for if/when ranchers are forced to reduce their numbers. If that happens jump on it.

And don't forget about butter and cheese. Even if the cows don't go to slaughter dairy will increase. Butter and cheese freeze just fine so if you see a sale stock up. I've heard that milk freezes well also but I've never done it because we don't have that much space.

msomnipotent
07-21-2012, 01:26 AM
I know people that have froze milk. It separates and goes bad within a few days after opening, but it would still work for our needs if I bought the smaller containers instead of the gallon jugs.

ladyhk13
07-21-2012, 05:14 AM
JustA you are right on about the price of beef going down before going up again. That is exactly what should be happening very soon. On the news a couple of days ago they were talking about just that. Prices should be dropping over the next few months and by the end of they year they should be hitting highs again as it all catches up.
MsO, gotcha on Costco. We were there recently and all the stuff we wanted was up by dollars as well. They seemed to like the $3. mark for some reason. The only thing that is still cheap is milk, runs about $2.39 or $2.59 can't remember which. Eggs are totally overpriced though. TP they pulled a fast one. They kept the same price but when I got home I realized they shorted the package by 6 rolls. Sneaky sneaky.
Wally world has raised their prices too. I'm getting nervous and going to start looking for things that haven't gone up yet and buy more bulk. Dh is going to have a fit since he says I have too much and it 's going to bust through the joists already.

LUNCHBOX
07-21-2012, 06:02 AM
Ladies and gentlemen....we've been here before. It is still a good feeling to see our fellow members posting these possible issues so that we keep up with our preps.

bacpacker
07-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Inflation will continue for the foreseeable future regardless the cause. The more you can do now to offset that will mean mucho denaro down the road.

ladyhk13
07-22-2012, 06:37 AM
Bp pls email my dh and tell him it's ok for me to continue to buy stuff :)

bacpacker
07-22-2012, 03:13 PM
I don't think I will step in on that one. :)
Thanks anyway

izzyscout21
07-22-2012, 05:24 PM
WARNING: SARCASM FOLLOWS

Fantastic.

Our money already goes about as far as you can throw it at the grocery store now.

Gas is already creeping back up......

It's getting harder and harder to keep food in the pantry

Corn has been terrible in this area this year as a crop. A lot of farmers here are losing their butts with this years crops.
My corn did squat.

Can't wait for corn products to inflate at the grocery store.

Beef prices are already on the brink.....

The crow sitting in my front yard is looking pretty delicious right now.