PDA

View Full Version : Mountain House eggs and bacon pouch. 3 stars!

msomnipotent
07-19-2012, 04:07 PM
I finally got my husband and daughter to try a Mountain House meal. I am basing most of the review on their opinions because I can't stand eggs. First, I followed the directions exactly and there was still a lot of water in the pouch. The bacon pieces are so small that I couldn't avoid pouring some out with the water. We all thought it smelled good, but my husband thought it had an overwhelming fake smoke taste to it. I did notice a huge hit of smoke smell when I opened the bag but then it faded and just smelled like egg. My daughter thought it tasted ok, and she can be a picky eater. It is supposed to be 2 servings, but I would guess it is about 3 scrambled eggs. A bit much for one serving and not enough for two adults unless there is other food. I'm giving it 3 out of 5 because my family will eat it in a pinch, but they won't be asking for it.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/msomnipotent/th_7-19022.jpg (http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/msomnipotent/?action=view&current=7-19022.jpg)

The plate isn't a dinner plate. It is smaller. I think it is about 7 inches.

slowz1k
07-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks for this! I've always wondered about the MH Eggs.

JustAPrepper
07-19-2012, 08:38 PM
We have Honeyville eggs and when I cooked them there was also a lot of water. Once the eggs were scrambled I took a paper towel to wick off the remaining water. Other than that...they were fantastic.

A breakfast item that I absolutely love is Honeyville's Sausage Flavored TVP. If you are a fan of Jimmy Dean this stuff tastes *exactly* the same. At one point I was canning Jimmy Dean sausage. No more. This stuff is much easier and takes up much less space than dozens of mason jars. :)

Grumpy Old Man
07-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Justa, try Honeyville's crystallized eggs. A little more expensive but much better for eating. I only use their freeze dried eggs for cooking. I looked online and couldn't find them, but they had them at the Rancho Cucamonga store when I was there last. I'll be going up there soon, so I'll see if they are available still.

JustAPrepper
07-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Justa, try Honeyville's crystallized eggs. A little more expensive but much better for eating. I only use their freeze dried eggs for cooking. I looked online and couldn't find them, but they had them at the Rancho Cucamonga store when I was there last. I'll be going up there soon, so I'll see if they are available still.

Thanks Grumpy but we already have plenty of the freeze dried eggs. We tested a single can before we made the plunge and were happy with them so took the plunge and bought more. It's no biggie to wick a little water off or mix them a little drier. Just takes a little trial and error to get the mix just right. :)

Grumpy Old Man
07-19-2012, 11:25 PM
I'll check the brand, etc when I get home tonight and post it tomorrow. It was recommended to me by one of the faithful at the store here.

Echo2
07-19-2012, 11:55 PM
I've been storing "Providence Pantry" powdered eggs....I tend to mix them a bit dry and add a bit of cheese powder.....fresh onion works wonders....:P

Kodiak
07-20-2012, 04:57 AM
The mountain house red beans and rice also had a ton of extra water after following the directions. They tasted ok but was very runny, not sure if its a brand thing or not.

LUNCHBOX
07-20-2012, 05:17 AM
I've made the MH eggs also, a bit heavy on the salt if your not expecting it (you will need the salt later though) I think they are worth picking up.

Grumpy Old Man
07-20-2012, 04:05 PM
All MH stuff is heavy on salt. This can be beneficial when you're in the high country and you don't realize how many electrolytes you're sweating out (remember MH was originally for backpackers, etc), but when you get older you are sometimes cautioned against excessive sodium, i.e. salt. So I typically go with Honeyville or Provident Pantry as it has less salt. BTW I only use unsalted butter and very seldom season with salt while I am cooking. I only use sea salt after the dish is prepared and everyone can salt to their own taste.

msomnipotent
07-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Salt is something I didn't think of. I rarely use salt except for brining. I normally buy whatever Costco has on sale, which I think is Shelf Reliance. I think next time I buy some LTS foods, I will look into Honeyville or PP. Always good to have variety.

Katrina
07-21-2012, 05:05 AM
Thanks ms.
I was wondering how the MH egg mix would be