PDA

View Full Version : Syria, Iran, Israel, Hormuz and Can Evolver Get Home?

JustAPrepper
07-20-2012, 01:08 AM
I wasn't sure where to put this...please move if necessary but leave me a bread trail because I'm easily confused!

Evolver has been in Utah over a month now. We are in the home stretch, another couple weeks to go and he'll be heading home. Things aren't going great for him out there so I don't bombard him with things he can't control or that would cause him unnecessary worry. Even though he has our laptop his participation here has been very limited so I know he's dealing with more issues than what he's telling me about. He's keeping his head down and dealing with the issues directly in front of him.

I'm the news junkie. I'm the one who follows *everything*. I'm pretty level-headed but my radar has been up for a couple of weeks now.

There is sabre-rattling everywhere. Eventually there will be no sabre-rattling. Someone, somewhere, will make a move. You back a snake far enough in to a corner and eventually he's going to strike. Without warning. And families will be separated when that strike happens. Will we be that family?

There's a lot of fine minds with opinions I respect on this board.

My question is...

Should I be worried at this point?

If Iran attempts to close the straight or Israel strikes back against Iran or Syria falls or....whatever...

If things spin out of control over there will it affect our domestic flights? If he was across the border in Georgia or Alabama I wouldn't worry so much but he's over 3,000 miles away. He's with family and I have my parents here but that's not the point. He's my husband. I want to make sure he can come home. Will that be possible if the brown stuff hits the oscillator?

The Stig
07-20-2012, 01:27 AM
Justa

Thanks for trusting us enough to share this with us.

I'd been wondering about Evolver and sorry to hear things in Utah have been so hectic.

While I agree there's all sorts of mess brewing in the Middle-East in general and Iran/Syria specifically I don't think it's going to cause a complete, overnight, catastrophic meltdown that prevents your hubby from traveling home. It can definitely go sideways quickly but I don't see it drastically effecting domestic life so quickly that Evolver will be stranded.

Just my $.02. Hope it helps.

ETA: I admire that you are at least considering this this possibility so you can plan for it. I just wouldn't allow it to consume you. Let us know what the colony can do to help out.

apssbc
07-20-2012, 01:33 AM
I agree also, even if something does happen it won't be over night. Granted he may not be able to fly but he can drive or take a bus or something. Chances are every mode of transportation will not be shut down. There is always a way. I think chances are good your hubby can get home. It may just take a little while longer than hopping onto a plane and getting right home.

I agree with stig let us know what we can do to help.

IDTANDY
07-20-2012, 01:49 AM
I Don't forsee any problems Justa.
Hang in there.

Baker
07-20-2012, 01:52 AM
The only way I see something with Syria or Iran to effect us over here quickly is if Russia/China were to get involved rather fast. But, the fact is I don't see that happening unless something very, very, VERY major happens.

Just my 2 Canadian cents.

bacpacker
07-20-2012, 02:06 AM
I'm in agreement, It will take something along the lines of 9/11 to shut down stuff that fast. No way anyone can call that, but something in the mid east is not likely to translate to that type situation very quickly.

Just keep working on things like you have been and any things that might be effected if something over there gets started. I'm sure Evolver has his stuff ready to leave quickly if need be and is keeping an eye on the situation.

I'm not a fine mind by any stretch but I am glad you shared your anxiety with us. That always helps make folks feel better. Let us know what we can do to help out. We are here for you.

Twitchy
07-20-2012, 02:17 AM
I'm in agreement, It will take something along the lines of 9/11 to shut down stuff that fast. No way anyone can call that, but something in the mid east is not likely to translate to that type situation very quickly.

Just keep working on things like you have been and any things that might be effected if something over there gets started. I'm sure Evolver has his stuff ready to leave quickly if need be and is keeping an eye on the situation.

I'm not a fine mind by any stretch but I am glad you shared your anxiety with us. That always helps make folks feel better. Let us know what we can do to help out. We are here for you.

I'd just add on to this, even if something does happen, in the ME that is, there will most likely be warning... If it looks bad enough, just get him home as fast as possible, ahead of schedule if possible... Justa, You've got more than just your parents, I can probably speak for a good many of us down here in FL that we will help each other out if it comes to that... Shoot me a PM and we can discuss things...

JustAPrepper
07-20-2012, 03:17 AM
Thanks guys.

I've been holding down the fort.

When he travels for extended periods we try to keep it on the down-low even if tid-bits pop out here and there. No sense in "exposing" me as being vulnerable or inviting unnecessary problems. That said, I sleep well and comfortable even if it is with two small dogs and cold steel that makes a big bang. OK, if truth be told, the dogs hog the bed. Who knew a couple of Chihuahua's could take up so much room?! On the good side, they don't have those huge ears for nothing...they can hear a snake slithering across the grass out back so if one of them alerts, I'm awake in a flash, hand on cold steel and at the ready.

My worry was a "Micro" situation.

There's a lot of situations where things affect "every one else"...Macro. I was trying to dial this down to a Micro situation and how it would affect me, personally.

That may sound selfish but when you find yourself alone and things are looking like they are going to sideways you start dialing in closer to home. I wasn't sure what an "event" would do to our transit systems, specifically air travel (barring a 9/11 event).

Thank you for your responses. I think I'll rest a little easier. Sort of. I'll still have to contort around the dogs. They are EVIL-BITCHY when you nudge them at night. I've never seen such sleepy, grumpy beestards in my life! :p

Stormfeather
07-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Justa, I have to echo the comments of everyone else so far. As far as transportation goes, even if the airlines got shut down, there are multiple modes of transportation available besides air. And after all, we are preppers, we always find a way!

piranha2
07-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Agree with all the above comments. Keep in mind, I am in Fort Pierce if you need anything really quick.

eagle326
07-21-2012, 12:17 AM
JustaPrepper; Just remember we're a colony. If Evolver or you believe that he has to move ; Alert the colony and with all the members we has across the country we can work out a plan to get him home to you come hell or High water. I believe in this site to the extent that I would trust our members to see to the safety of my loved ones and that is not an easy decision for a man like me.

Help is but an e-mail or phone call away. If you need a starting point P.M. me and I'll help to get the wheels moving if we need to.

Katrina
07-21-2012, 05:09 AM
Amen Girl friend, What ever I can do from MI you just ask.

ladyhk13
07-21-2012, 05:29 AM
Eagle makes a great point. In an event where public transport breaks down it is a great thing to know that there is such a bond here that should someone get stranded we can form a "chain" in order to get one of our members back home if needed. It might be a good idea whenever someone is traveling to maybe touch base with people en route from home to destination that they feel they can trust or have formed bonds with and get contact info from just in case a national emergency happens.

LUNCHBOX
07-21-2012, 05:33 AM
I agree with the others here. I may not be in direct line of travel but willing to help if needed.

Onestep
07-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Justa, you know we are here for you girl.
I agree with everyone on this, especially the optional means of transportation. If they shut down the airports, he could rent a car and be home in a few days.

izzyscout21
07-21-2012, 12:14 PM
I volunteer for a night time insertion via a low opening chute from a privately chartered plane...........

eagle326
07-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Airborne Izzy ; Lock me in.

izzyscout21
07-21-2012, 12:35 PM
I know a certain Ranger with an itch that'd be in.............

eagle326
07-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Stand up ; Hook up ; Shuffle to the door.
Airborne daddy gonna take a little trip. ;)

bacpacker
07-21-2012, 02:53 PM
The idea of making contact with folks enroute before a trip is a great idea. Not only for National emergencies, but local ones as well, car breakdown, or even just a meet and greet. Thats what gave me the opportunity to meet Lunchbox face to face.

The Stig
07-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Justa....

Has Evolver mapped out the drive home in advance should it come to that.

If he did I'm guessing that (1) it would put your mind at ease and (2) he'd come pretty close to some colony members that he could pre-arrange contact should he need help enroute.

Taz Baby
07-22-2012, 03:27 AM
Justa, I wouldn't worry to much about Evolver getting home. If he can't fly and is ready to leave just let us know and the ant family will go get him and send him to you. There are enough of us here for someone to pick him up and take him too another member to take him to another and so forth until he is in your loving arms safe and sound. This colony takes care of each other. And yes those little dogs are on alert because they know someone is missing in your home. Plus they will chew the ankles off anyone who intrudes in there space that don,t belong. I have worked with those before an I would much rather go up against a bull dog then those mean little B@#$#@%#. The only dog that has ever bite me was one of those just because I took it's blanket away from it to wash it.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-22-2012, 05:20 AM
I know a certain Ranger with an itch that'd be in.............

Izzy, you and Eagle can count me in, (if I'm invited) However my jumping experience was low and slow and hitting the water doing 20/20's, sometimes we pushed that envelope to "saltwater enemas, butt that's the breaks. That's what SAR is all about, overland or over water, don't think I'll need a forest penatrator in Utah. I'll be there to support the "colony" just a new team. We might need a few days to run through the game plan and a few contingencies, but I'm sure we could pull it off. Hoo-Yah!

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

msomnipotent
07-22-2012, 07:33 AM
I have family in Chicago and I'm not too far from it, if he needs the hospitality.

From my experience, chihuahuas are the most vicious dogs I have ever encountered. I have come across stray Dobermans and pits that were friendlier. Pardoning my current idiot dog, the only dogs that have ever tried to bite me were chihuahuas. And I hear you about the bed situation. We had to upgrade from a queen to a king to accommodate our 100 lb lab/shep mix, which worked for us very well. Never even knew when she was on the bed. Our 35 lb beagle mix takes up the entire king bed and makes all kinds of noise if our feet get too close. She might stop growling if I stopped kicking her, but it is my bed. And I flail when I sleep.

mitunnelrat
07-22-2012, 06:17 PM
I"m with everyone else on this as well. And don't forget the call tree. Grumpy's heading it up for the west, I'm the midwest, and izzy is the SE. Between the 3 of us we should already have the contacts in place to help him get home.

Evolver
07-23-2012, 04:25 AM
Wow!!! Tonight I thought I'd poke my head down the colony door to get up to date on things and to check-in and I found this three page thread. First off... You fellow ants are the best!!! I'm just shocked to see all the support that the members here are willing to offer and it's comforting to know that in the event that something ever did happen while I was away there would be people willing to help out if need be.
As for the job goes... I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. My son-in-laws barber shop that I'm working on has consumed all of my awake time LOL well... I should say ALL my time because I'm even dreaming about it! :eek: I've had to learn "Commercial building codes" like... the proper placement of toilet paper holder for a ADA Bathroom (handicapped) or what side of the toilet the flush handle should be on just to name a few.

Lastly... Justa, I kinda like you... Just a little. :) I'd crawl the 3000 mi if a had to to get home and your doing a great job holding down the fort and watching my back door. Thinking.... It sounds like the dogs have taken over my place in the bed...

Man it's good to be an ant! Again thank you all.

Sniper-T
07-23-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm way out of position to offer any assistance, but moral support.

One thing though, if Shtf, and you need to busta tail home, having your route, and contacts in place ahead of time could be vital. after any kind of disaster, the phone lines/email servers, etc are always swamped, so getting online could be problematic. for peace of mind (both yours and Justa's. figure this all out sooner rather than later

IMO

Grumpy Old Man
07-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Wow, this thread has grown a lot. I see what I miss when I'm not here. As was pointed out above, if you need some help use the call tree. Also, while I am way west of Evolver, I have friends and relatives in UT, WY, CO, KS, MO, so I can help with the 1st third of the trip. Just let us know what needs to be done.

JustAPrepper
07-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Like Evolver, I am almost speechless at the outpouring of support.

I have to be honest...we are part of a state board and this kind of outreach is very common for us, but for one reason. It's easier to commit to and pledge support because we are all "local". I *never* expected this kind of support, at this overwhelming level, from a national board. Keyboard Commando's talk a good game and run amok across the internet but I'm not getting that from this group. I truly believe each and every one of you and I have few words to explain my gratitude.

Evolver and I have always been willing to lend a helping hand but I don't recall any mention of a Call Tree. Grumpy...are you in charge? If so, PM me. I'd like for us to be added to the list.

This colony rocks. Seriously.

Stormfeather
07-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Justa, as many have mentioned before, its more a family here than a forum. Yes, we have a call tree in place, all regional heads basically have the numbers and localities of members who choose to participate and we keep an eye out for each other in case of emergency.

Check this thread for your regions Ant Call Tree http://www.shtfready.com/threads/1691-shtfready-phone-tree?highlight=call+tree

- - - Updated - - -

I volunteer for a night time insertion via a low opening chute from a privately chartered plane...........

Count me in for this as well. Its been a while, but Im pretty sure I can still land with both feet on the ground!

bacpacker
07-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Justa send Izzy a pm. He heads up the southeast branch of the call tree. He will be more than happy to get you all on it.

izzyscout21
07-24-2012, 02:16 PM

Justa, as many have mentioned before, its more a family here than a forum. Yes, we have a call tree in place, all regional heads basically have the numbers and localities of members who choose to participate and we keep an eye out for each other in case of emergency.

Check this thread for your regions Ant Call Tree http://www.shtfready.com/threads/1691-shtfready-phone-tree?highlight=call+tree

- - - Updated - - -

Count me in for this as well. Its been a while, but Im pretty sure I can still land with both feet on the ground!

I'll get out the plane okay...........it's the landing I wouldn't be to sure about anymore............we better take Ehughes1488 along.......he's got more jumps than a bunny in heat..............

Justa send Izzy a pm. He heads up the southeast branch of the call tree. He will be more than happy to get you all on it.

That's right.....totally forgot about that. For some reason, I thought FL had it's own POC............