PDA

View Full Version : Colorada Movie Shootings

izzyscout21
07-20-2012, 12:04 PM
WOW. Just wow.

Prayers out to victims and families.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/20/several-reportedly-dead-injured-after-shooting-at-colorado-movie-theater/

RGENT: At least 14 people have been killed and up to 50 injured after a mass shooting at a showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" at a suburban Denver movie theater, police say. The suspect, believed to be the lone gunman, is in police custody. KUSA reports that the suspect kicked down an emergency door at the theater, threw in some type of a smoke bomb and began shooting when moviegoers started to run.
Witnesses say they heard a series of explosions and up to 20 gunshots after the scene grew chaotic. About 100 witnesses were taken to a local high school to be questioned by police.
Police, ambulances and emergency crews swarmed on the Aurora, Colo., theater after frantic 911 calls around 12:30 a.m. local time, officials said.
The suspect reportedly fired shots inside the theater and fled to the parking lot and was confronted by police already at the theater for crowd control.
The suspect's identity was not released, but was wearing a bullet-proof vest and in his 20s, police said. The gunman was carrying a rifle and two handguns, police said. The handguns may have been placed in the theater before the shooting.
FBI spokesman Jason Pack said there's no indication in the investigation so far of any connection to terrorism.
President Obama said he is "shocked and saddened" by the mass shooting and urged the nation to "come together as one American family." He said his administration will do everything it can to support the people of Aurora, Colo. Obama was in Florida at the time of the shooting. The White House says Obama was informed of the shooting by his Homeland Security Advisor, John Brennan.
James Cameron, who was in an adjacent theater, said he hear commotion and screaming. People seated around him began coughing and having difficulty breathing.
"By the sound of it, it sounds like there could have been three or four guys shooting," he said.
Audra Mincey, a spokeswoman for the Swedish Medical Center, told Fox News there are two patients in critical condition.
Mincey said the hospital set up its incident command center and mobilized personnel.
Earlier reports said there may have been a second shooter, but police believe only one shooter was involved, KDVR tells Fox News.
Police Chief Dan Oates says city police are checking the area for explosives. The suspect's apartment building was evacuated.
Bejamin Fernandez, 30, told the Denver Post that he heard a series of explosions. He said that people ran from the theater and there were gunshots as police shouted "get down!"
Fernandez said he saw people falling, including one young girl.
Jordan told the paper that one girl was struck in cheek, others in stomach including a girl who looked to be around 9-years-old.
Jordan said it sounded like firecrackers until someone ran into Theater 8 yelling "they're shooting out here!"
Hayden Miller told KUSA-TV that he heard several shots.
"Like little explosions going on and shortly after that we heard people screaming," he told the station.
Hayden said at first he thought it was part of a louder movie next door. But then he saw "people hunched over leaving theater."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/20/several-reportedly-dead-injured-after-shooting-at-colorado-movie-theater/#ixzz21ACpPtRG

ak474u
07-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I can't begin to express how terrible this makes me feel. Makes you wonder though, where was a legally armed person that could intervene? I know that target acquisition in the midst of a stampede would be nearly impossible, but I just can't grasp that in a room with hundreds of people in it, nobody shot back. I can imagine it was utter pandemonium in there. It seems from witness reports that the survivors, and non-injured victims that the people who didn't run came out unscathed after taking cover/hiding. Certainly doesn't instill a sense of safety for people who think they can go about their daily lives without being prepared. Apparently, there were police officers present on the property when it started, or it might have been even more horrible. Glad the "bomb" the guy planted didn't go off, it would have been worse.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Been watching this movie theater shooting unfold, right now they have a shooter name. Some 24yr old White male it seems. Don't know why yet. But he, James Holmes came loaded for bear, body armor tear gas, shit load of ammo at his apartment. I was hoping it was some hadji not some white kid going nuts again. Hell I was hoping none of this shit wouldn't happen at all! But it does, now obama will seize this opportunity to bring in more votes. Fast ass response I will tell you that! They really had their shit together over there. (LEO, EMT, Paramedics, Hospitals, ERs) "BZ" It's going to hurt gun owners.......................it's coming. This guy has no military back ground. He for all we know could just be a "gamer". I really don't like the impact this is going to have. Our Beloved SoS is getting ready to sign this UN (small arms) treaty and dipshit is AG get's his ass saved for anything he needs saving for. Could make a nice snowball..............rolling down hill. Now the're whinning about the bodies still being in there. Hey they have to finish the crime scene investigation, doncha'll watch TEEEEVEEEE?

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-20-2012, 02:47 PM
AK47FU Yes, I wonder why nobody drew down on this guy. Yes, I wonder if there was even one single person there that was even carrying. Yes, the thought of being there has crossed my mind. Sitting in the theater, (Do you carry? What would you do?) guy comes in with a gas mask throws a bags that starts smoking. Waves a gun and starts shooting. People just sit there at first, 5, 7 seconds seem like 5 minutes then reality sets in and you react? You stand up and draw you weapon. Where are you in relation to the shooter? What do you tell your spouse? Does she carry? We always sit up in the top row near the center I take a bead on the shoot easy for me because I have a CTC Crimson Trace Laser site. for my personal carry. So where the dot goes, etc. As long as I got a clear shot, I'm good. How long did that take? Probably 10 seconds.........maybe, but how many times does this scenario run through your head in the movie theater when you go to the movies? Where do you sit? Do you have the tactical advantage, or do you sit for emergency egress for the family? Why did I say 10 seconds? Think about it? Play it out in your head and tell me when you might get that "opportunity".

This is all bad people, obama's about to speak. He's playing this one to the hilt. Stand by..................

MegaCPC
07-20-2012, 02:54 PM
That would have been one of the worst places to stop a shooting as a CCW holder.

The movie theater is going to be dark and crowded, filled with smoke, people are going to be running for the exits, screaming and tripping over each other. Unless you were within 10 feet of the shooter, I doubt you could take the guy out without hitting a bystander or having the guy turn and dump the rest of his mag in your direction.

My thoughts go out to the families of those involved.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Ok, he just cut his campaign speech short, for the victims. Cops just said that this guys apartment is rigged to blow, and should get interesting. Cause they are calling in "experts". I think this is really going to help the anti gunners, and stir up us gunners too. Bad timing you little shit!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-20-2012, 03:12 PM
That would have been one of the worst places to stop a shooting as a CCW holder.

The movie theater is going to be dark and crowded, filled with smoke, people are going to be running for the exits, screaming and tripping over each other. Unless you were within 10 feet of the shooter, I doubt you could take the guy out without hitting a bystander or having the guy turn and dump the rest of his mag in your direction.

My thoughts go out to the families of those involved.

You'll never know how this will play out, that's the whole point. Can you get a shot or can't you? How long will it take before you can? Will you ever? Hell you could be the first one shot. Have you ever tried to get a clear shot in Chaos? Have you ever felt that adrenaline rush when someone is shooting at you and you have to shoot back? Do know what your level of accuracy is then? Sure I feel for the families of those that lost their friends and loved ones to this idiot. PLease tell me he going to say why he did is something that could be enacted upon. Not just some stupid senseless BS. Tell me he crossed over to Islam or had PTSD (not Military) or he got the guns from "Fast and Furious" or something. It's just these damn stupid kids that have to go around screwin things up.

Be safe...........the night is your friend.

realist
07-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Just a note to anyone that might be unfortunate enough to be in this type of situation in the future and be a CCW holder. You have a shooter and you have total chaos, if you draw out a gun people will see it and point you out as the shooter. So think about this now and "what if" the situation. How are you going to identify yourself. Remember when the cops arrive anyone with a gun is a bad guy until identified. Remember know your target and what it beyond. If you have not properly trained you may be more of a hazard than good. Think about what you are going to do then act, don't hesitate. That means take action or be a good witness.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Again, all valid points, and the list could go on, and on. You don't know till you're there. Look at the internet cafe. Great job, perfect moment, stupid crooks. Hoo-Yah, Sam! Gives a new meaning to the "Good Sam Club", the guy just reacted to the situation. Realistyou don't know till you're there and it happens to you, the discussion is an endless scenario driven question. Could be debated forever. There's no who's right or who's wrong in this case. Now it's a scenario driven topic for discussion. Just my opinion, all humans react differently to each situation.

On a side note. Here's a conspiracy theory for ya: The kid is a patsy like Lee Harvey. Hired by the NSA or some alphabet soup outfit. promised some great amount of money and pipe dreams. The EOD guys will get blown up from a remote detonator or they'll trip it. "The place is packed with chemicals and liquids" Someone will shoot this kid or he'll get snuffed or suicide or some such. Why?

1. Why did the police get there so fast?
2. Why was he even taken alive? The guy was covered from head to toe with ballistic armor, he was ready for a fight, it didn't happen. Why?
3. Convenient that it's close to election.
4. Again Ms. Clinton and the UN treaty.
5. Weapons used, AR-15, Remington 870, Glock .40 cal. (nice hit list for a gun ban)
6. What explosives did he use how he get them? Plan on a restriction on those?
7. Do you think this was put in play to promote a mass gun ban justification, creating chaos.
8. obama, cuts speech short, halls butt to who knows where? Stand by for a word from the White house......was it "terrorist related, was the kid a "crossover" jihadist?
9. How many more are involved?
10. Tennessee plates................gee we have a few "compounds" here in TN! WTF????

IDTANDY
07-20-2012, 07:03 PM
This guy is a wack job.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/batman-movie-shooting-imitated-from-scene-in-1985-comic/article/2502701

bacpacker
07-20-2012, 08:43 PM
I feel horrible for the victims of this shooting and their families. Nothing good is going to come from this. These families are gonna have to bury their dead. The injured will have in some cases lots of rehab to recover from their wounds.

On the other hand the Gun Control folks are gonna try and make hay with this, regardless of what the facts lead to. It just strikes me as very odd that while the past few weeks have had a boat load of stories coming out about the Prez wanting to sign the UN treaty of small arms and then boom, you have something like this happen. I expect to hear more stuff to get hammered on the talking head shows this Sunday morning.

Like every other murder comitted by what ever weapon used, the weapon is not the problem, it is the people who do crap like this. Whether drunk, drugged, crazy, or controlled it makes no difference if the weapon is a hammer, poison, knife, or fire arm the result is the same some one dies. And someone is responsible for it.

My bottom line on this, we had best be getting their things in order very soon because events are rapidly piling up on us. From the drought causing food cost increases, to all the financial bumblings that are happening on a daily basis, to what is sure to be a major push for gun control, we seem to be running out of time. Add the events unfolding in the middle east, both Syria and Iran, and the financial happenings in Europe and we could be seeing the makings of major wholesale changes to our world

Some things I have been considering today to ratchet up my preps, is to get more goods in such as TP, paper plates, salt, sugar, dried goods, desiel fuel, seeds, any gear or tools I'm sorely lacking, and maybe a load of fertilize. I don't use much fertilizer, but if SHTF there won't be any available after that. I also am going to make a harder push to aquire the parts to complete the AR I'm planning. I'm sure I'm forgetting many others.

Echo2
07-21-2012, 12:33 AM
just saw the guns he had were purchased legit....Bass Pro Shop....Gander...

Glock 40cal.....S&W AR15....Rem 12ga....

GunnerMax
07-21-2012, 01:02 AM
You can't catch all the crazies

Echo2
07-21-2012, 01:27 AM
I feel for the families.....but I fear the ramifications....

Sniper-T
07-21-2012, 01:46 AM
This really should be a push for CCW or open carry. If people were able to defend themselves, the casualty count could have been much lower.

Hopefully the proponents for firearms down there are as vocal as the anti's will be

ak474u
07-21-2012, 02:09 AM
I live about a mile from the parent co. of the theater chain that this happened at. They have a no guns unless you're a cop rule, never observed it, but to me it's the same as any other gun free zone/ mass casualty zone. Obviously a business has the right, but I've been going to another theater that has the regular old "possession of a weapon by a non-license holder is illegal" notice. I can imagine that trying to acquire a target in a stampede, inside a dark theater, would be hard, or more like trying to swim downstream while the salmon are swimming upstream. I commend the police for responding so fast, they were on the scene for the special event, so they didn't have far to go, but did a fair job just the same. I just have a hard time not thinking there are people like me who actually carry a high intensity white light, and a gun everywhere they go, and could have closed with, and eliminated the threat. I saw a kid talking about the only thing he could think of to save his sister was to stay down, crawl away, and "not lose his cool". He made it, and so did she. People were there to watch a movie about a crime fighter, a super hero, but like a caller to a local talk show said today, we don't need super heroes. The men who waded ashore on D-Day were regular guys, no different that you and I, they weren't invincible, they weren't special, they were just average humans, the only thing they had was procedure, and training drilled into their heads the entire time they served our country. When the SHTF and the machine gun rounds started flying, they reacted as trained, maneuvered as trained, and used the tools provided them both physical and mental to achieve the objective of saving the world, or at least a little chunk of it. Prepare, train, think, maneuver, re-think, and train some more, is the only way to counter evil among us. Tomorrow this could be your hometown, or even your place of business.

izzyscout21
07-21-2012, 02:14 AM
I also fear the ramifications of this, but let's keep this conversation from venturing off into the fray..... I don't want to lock it down, but we're heading that way.

To get this back on track:

BWRR asked why nobody drew down on him or put him out of commission.....

My guess is this:

Even if there were folks carrying in the theater, when the shooting started all hell broke loose. It's a relatively confined space. With hundreds of screaming, terrified citizens running around trying to get away, what are the real life chances you could have taken an effective shot at this guy....head shot at that (he was wearing armor).... whilst trying not to maim a bystander?

Having been in a position of trying to pick hostiles out of CALM gatherings of people, I can tell you that chances are slim to none.

apssbc
07-21-2012, 03:59 AM
First off prayers out to all affected including the responders. I know how you feel after calls like these.

Secondly I do worry this will bring up a huge gun control fight. However I think in today's climate we stand a good chance of earning rights from this.

Thirdly this is why we train and prep. Mentality is the number one thing in a situation. I carry a white light with strobe and my pistol. To get my family out I would have done everything possible even if that meant tryin to get in close. I hope i would have the stones to respond to that situation and fight back.

Twitchy
07-21-2012, 04:46 AM
Someone I know compared me to this homicidal maniac because I said I would defend my home with firearms if it was ever invaded... I love how these incidents always bring the worms out of the wood work...

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-21-2012, 04:57 AM
Again it's an endless scenario driven conversation. The whole situation sucks and more is going to unfold as the days continue. We are going to have to deal with and prepare for what is in store for us after this mess. Everyone has valid points, no one is wrong here. You just don't know till it happens to you. I hope it never does. Today is just another "lessons learned" the hard way, the hardest way. Now comes the government's way of how they are going to tell you how it's going to handle "you" from here on out. Backpacker has some valid points. We're on a snowball here...........? I think I mentioned something about a snowball before. Allot of fecal matter is hitting that occillating thingy. Alright I'm done for the night.

Echo2
07-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Secondly I do worry this will bring up a huge gun control fight. However I think in today's climate we stand a good chance of earning rights from this.

How do you "earn" a right?

apssbc
07-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Gaining was probably a better word. Granted the second amendment affords us the right to bear arms. However we have had those restricted. In Michigan we currently have a bill on the floor to allow carry in gun free zones with extra training. I think it stands a good chance of passing especially now after this. Just my two cents.

Sorry for writing that wrong.

Stg1swret
07-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Tragedy yes, preventable not likely. Had there even been armed citizens, the chance of them taking this guy out are slim at best. Dark theater, gas clouds people trying to escape, the perp in body armor. You really think you can pull off a head shot right off the bat. I'm ex-military, ex military LEO. I wouldn't want to try it. First instinct is center of mass. Oh, Shit the guy didn't go down. Now you have to try that head shot from what distance? People in the way. They got lucky that the body count wasn't higher, one weapon jammed. This guy had it planned out for what ever reason, and the bleeding hearts will try to blame the guns, not the person. Oh he had a terrible this , they will look for ant excuse except the real one. This guy wanted to do what he did.

We will get the typical knee jerk reaction, more anti -gun legislation needs to be enacted. That only affects law abiding folks. Just my 2 cents.

The Stig
07-21-2012, 03:57 PM
This is why you train, train, train and train some more with your CCW. Just blasting away at 5 yards is one thing. 30 yard head shots are quite another. Can you pull off a brain-box shot at long distances?

That said, I tend to agree with what others have posted. Unless you were right up on the guy an armed response would be tough from a joe CCW. It's dark, people are bumping into you, the guy is moving, you've probably got a spouse/gf with you to consider, tons of innocents running between you and bozo (and behind).

That's before you consider the armor.

You'd have to be one cool cucumber to deal with that. Seeing how most people handle their pistols I don't most could take the shot. When you have combat vets saying it's damn difficult, it's damn difficult.

Wonder how many people sat near an exit? Picked out alternate exits as they sat down? Briefed whoever was with them that we're doing XYZ if something happens? Had a flashlight in their pocket?

Stg1swret
07-21-2012, 04:35 PM
the idiots have already come out of thw woodwork about this. I just watched a small clip featuring Wolf Blittzer, jesse jackson, and Newt Gingritch (http://townhall.com/tipsheet/greghengler/2012/07/20/jesse_jackson_we_must_move_from_prayer__condolence s_to_policy). Some folks are completely clueless. But we all know that already. It also appears that the gun controll advocates are primed as two democratic legislators are already preparing to introduce new gun control legislation.

Gunfixr
07-21-2012, 05:33 PM
My thought also go out to the victims and families, as this will be difficult for some time. The news and the anit gun backlash will probably keep this fresh in everyone's mind for some time, where they cannot start to put it behind them.
Most theaters around here have "no weapons" signs. Of course, there is usually a picture of either a revolver or a Beretta 92 inside a circle with a slash through it.
When my wife points out those signs, I just inform her that I'm carrying neither a revolver or a Beretta 92, so the sign doesn't apply.
She just grins.
Nonetheless, all they can do if they find out is ask me to leave. If I refuse, I'd be charged with trespassing, but only after the first time I'd been run off. I consider that worth the trade. So far, it hasn't happened.

As for what I'd do in this scenario, I really only can guess. I do think of these things, and what my response would be. While I'd certainly want to take the bad guy down, there are some basic rules you cannot break.
As a CCW civilian, you will be held accountable for any innocents you shoot. You will not convince the public that your solution to an "active shooter" is to shoot more victims yourself, even though it was not intentional.
Therefore, it is better to leave the bad guy unshot than to shoot more victims.
There are probably exceptions to this, but I don't think this is one of them. The crowd size would make experienced SWAT team members say it was very difficult, no way you're going to pull it off.
Best option is more than likely to try to get any loved ones to cover, and keep an eye on the shooter. If he gets close enough, gets clear of the crowd, or targets you/loved ones directly, then more options open up.
As for the body armor, this a reason to carry a major caliber all the time. Unless he's wearing rifle plates, taking hits to body armor by a major caliber is still quite disrupting, even though temporary. Best bet, barring headshot capability is to pour on the rounds to center mass to upset balance, simultaneously closing distance until the headshot can be safely taken. With soft armor, it's going to hurt, a lot, plus it's like bricks keep hitting them in the chest, non-stop.
It's that or hide and hope for the best, which may be all you end up with anyway, depending.
Fortunately, the theaters around here are small, with places having many small theaters replacing the older, one or two large theaters in a place. One place has 24 individual theaters. They are narrow and long, front to back. The bad part is that there are no exits at the back, you have to go down near the screen, and either exit to either side of the screen, or to one or both sides down a hall that goes kind of under the back.
A shooter in this scenario has 80% of the audience physically trapped, unable to run. You must go towards him to escape. Since it's smaller, the crowd is smaller, but how many people does it take to block your shot?

I try very hard to avoid such scenarios. I don't like big crowds anyway. There is no movie I have to see bad enough to go to a premiere, especially at midnight. I usually go during the late morning or early afternoon, on weekdays. Tickets are cheaper. Much less crowding, almost no one chattering during the show.

It's easy to wonder how no one took a shot at him, presuming anybody was carrying. One thing not really mentioned is that humans are somewhat of a herd mentality, as social beings. If panic gets started, it will sweep through a crowd like wildfire, making people who do not ordinarily panic panic anyway, because "everyone else is too". Same principle in the "mob mentality".
They may have totally forgotten they were armed, and just fled, like everyone else.

Stormfeather
07-21-2012, 05:43 PM
First there was the debacle in Alabama, now this crap in Colorado. . . . I smell anti-gun legislation in the air.

izzyscout21
07-21-2012, 07:09 PM
I find it interesting that one of the first things that was leaked was the type of firearms and magazines he was using. AR with 100 round mag, 40 cal glock, and shotgun.....

Gunfixr
07-21-2012, 07:15 PM
2 Glocks.
Yeah, that was interesting.
I read an article earlier that they already knew where and when he had purchased all 4 firearms. The article listed the dates.

Since I work at a gunshop, I know precisely how normal firearm traces work, and they're not that fast.
Not 24 hrs.
They either found receipts in his apartment, or used some other method.

izzyscout21
07-21-2012, 07:17 PM
I wonder what the news would be saying if one of us had been there, the dude was laying dead with a big hole in his face, and there were 18, 9mm casings on the floor...and a vastly smaller number of folks were dead or injured.

"Concealed carry permit holder saves theater full of people", or something else?

Guess we will never know...and that is the biggest shame of all, no one tried.

Gunfixr
07-21-2012, 07:27 PM
That's actually a very good question, and one I hope to never find out.
Reading it, and after only a few moments thought, I just don't know.
Of course, all who lived would be eternally thankful. However, if your spouse and children just watched you kill somebody, their view of you has just undertaken a drastic change.
The family unit may not survive this, only time will tell.
Depending on where you live, the law might be on your side, or then again might not like it that it appears you took over their job.
It may not matter that by definition, the police cannot stop such an event.
The fact that you may have actually needed all 18rds to stop the guy may (likely will) escape the media, and they may pounce on what they see as excessive force.

Considering the option, I will continue to risk it.

Stormfeather
07-21-2012, 07:28 PM
I wonder what the news would be saying if one of us had been there, the dude was laying dead with a big hole in his face, and there were 18, 9mm casings on the floor...and a vastly smaller number of folks were dead or injured.

"Concealed carry permit holder saves theater full of people", or something else?

Guess we will never know...and that is the biggest shame of all, no one tried.

I agree here as well.

Echo2
07-21-2012, 08:40 PM
here you go...

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1740532587001/?intcmp=obinsite

Stg1swret
07-21-2012, 08:50 PM
While a great video, completly different circumstances and environment.

Echo2
07-21-2012, 08:57 PM
well yeah....but a bit of good news is warranted after a tragedy.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-22-2012, 04:21 AM
Gunfixer Good intell on the firearms trace timeline. That is great stuff I for one appreciate that! Good to know, stuff. Please tell us more, you should start a thread on gun background checks, how long does your back ground check stay on file, what you just mentioned, stuff like that. Good shit man. I for one would like to know more. The further this goes on the more it seems like it's premeditated (of course by the shooter) but by others outside elements judging by your intell. Are you falling into my "conspiracy theory?" How many more incidents before November?

Almost forgot, I loved your comments on the "no guns" signs at the theaters. Funny I never even thought to look. Never gave it a thought, can't say i much care anymore except that I respect the federal buildings.

OK you guys are still in "scenario" mode as I predicted. I'LL THROW ANOTHER ONE OUT THERE: It was said "Almost impossible to pull off the head shot from "x" distance." The "prepped" shooter was plated all the way up to his chin with ballistic armor, 9mm to 45, if you get hit you are going to feel it, period. It's going to hurt and it's going to knock you back. Hey this isn't padding we're talking here. It will distract the individual, and render him/her off guard and off balance. Their thinking is going to be off and it will change their plan momentarily. (he was also on 100mg of one of those codones, so it probably didn't hurt that much) That leaves a break in his/her sight picture and most likely they will release the trigger. Seize the moment, that would be your opportunity to take your best shot. Add the pandemonium, they are "maybe" at this point pretty much packed toward the exits giving you a better field of fire. Now take into the fact that your heart is pounding about 105 depending on your experience, nerve, shock, it could be faster or slower. Try to squeeze it off now..............what do you think will happen next? Something else, center mass is never a bad thing when it comes to a "stand up" shooter. They did this for a reason. When someone shoots in this fashion, "spray and pray" "fire and forget" the weapon and extremities used to fire that weapon are all "center mass". This in creases the percentages of hitting hands arms and the possibly disabling the weapon of the shooter. Yes, I know he had ballistic covering for his arms as well. Have you ever been hit in the arm from a 9mm wearing ballistic armor? Have you ever conducted "training" in an actual kill house and been hit with simunition? I'll tell you first hand that Simunition hurts like hell! You don't get shot again, EVER! No, not if you ever plan on living through you 1st and last tour. "Ballistic" armor only protects to a certain level. Level IIIA works great, but you still have to add the plates. Sure by itself it will "stop" the 9mm, 38, 40, 45, schrap, etc. BUT IT WILL NOT STOP THE PAIN NOR THE IMPACT! Trust me you will have the "victims" undivided attention. Hit'em with about 5-6 rounds center mass and move in and nail his/her ass right between the lenses.
This is "another scenario".......................So there is my $5.00 worth for the evening. Time to move along.

Be safe...............the night is your friend.

apssbc
07-22-2012, 05:29 AM
I liked the five dollars worth there it was good. I also agree simmunition sucks ass. I was peppered with it while playing a bad guy for training. Then when I got to go on the offensive the perp came out and I was able to manage 4 rds center of mass. Too bad he shot me right in my pinky...that may have brought a tear lol.

Scenario time. What about when he paused to reload per multiple witnesses. Bright strobing flash light to the eyes. Followed up with gunfire or even a tackle. The light would distract enough to move in especially since he's focused on his mag change and his eyes are accustomed to the dark. Do anything to tip the scales in your favor, fight dirty.

izzyscout21
07-23-2012, 02:42 AM
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” ― Heraclitus

Too bad that one warrior was not at the movie.

ak474u
07-23-2012, 04:04 AM
I liked the five dollars worth there it was good. I also agree simmunition sucks ass. I was peppered with it while playing a bad guy for training. Then when I got to go on the offensive the perp came out and I was able to manage 4 rds center of mass. Too bad he shot me right in my pinky...that may have brought a tear lol.

Scenario time. What about when he paused to reload per multiple witnesses. Bright strobing flash light to the eyes. Followed up with gunfire or even a tackle. The light would distract enough to move in especially since he's focused on his mag change and his eyes are accustomed to the dark. Do anything to tip the scales in your favor, fight dirty.

After seeing the background on the victims, I'm starting to wonder if someone DID rush the guy. Like 1/3 were current or former military. It would make sense that they were a high percentage of the body count if they in fact did put up a fight or close with the shooter to at least try to subdue him.

Onestep
07-24-2012, 03:15 PM
http://bighealthreport.com/4094/city-of-aurora-colorado-would-have-arrested-anyone-who-stopped-the-batman-massacre-with-a-concealed-weapon/

apssbc
07-24-2012, 04:29 PM
That's crazy. I know in Michigan that's not allowed. The local governments cannot impose stricter laws than what is on the books from the state. I don't know if that's true for CO.

Onestep
07-24-2012, 04:35 PM
I don't know either Aps. Seems CO leans pretty far left.

Stg1swret
08-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Navy veteran killed in Colorado movie theater massacre may have tried to stop gunman

Published August 04, 2012

| Associated Press

RENO, Nev. – A Navy veteran who died after throwing himself in front of a friend during the Colorado movie theater shooting was remembered Friday for his fearlessness and optimism.

Some mourners at the funeral for 26-year-old Jonathan Blunk also said they've been told by officials that there are indications he may have tried to stand up to the heavily armed gunman and stop him during the July 20 attack in Aurora, Colo.

"Law enforcement is leaning toward he was trying to get the (suspect's) gun to save people's lives," said Roland Lackey, an Air Force veteran who officiated the service. "He was a hero, and I salute him."

FBI spokesman Dave Joly in Denver said Friday that a court gag-order prevented him from commenting on the case. Officials have not yet indicated publicly whether anyone inside the Aurora theater confronted suspected gunman James Holmes during the shooting spree that left 12 people dead and dozens wounded.

Among the 500 mourners who packed a mortuary in the Nevada city where Blunk was raised were his wife, Chantel; daughter, Hailey, 4; son, Maximus, 2; and dozens of service members.

Blunk, who served three tours in the Middle East from 2004 to 2009, was credited for saving his friend's life when the heavily armed gunman burst into the midnight showing of the Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises."

Kyle Dawson, his shipmate in the Navy, said authorities told Blunk's widow that her husband also matched the description of a man who went after the suspect.

Based on where Blunk's body was found in the theater, Dawson said, "he was trying to get the guy ... Jonny had no fear in any situation. You could count on him in any circumstance. He was a once-in-a-lifetime friend."

FBI spokesman Dave Joly in Denver said Friday that a court gag-order prevented him from commenting on the case.

James Holmes, 24, a former doctoral student in neuroscience, was charged with dozens of counts of first-degree murder and attempted murder in the July 20 attack, one of the deadliest mass shootings in recent U.S. history.

Blunk, a 2004 graduate of Hug High School in Reno, lived in Aurora and worked for a small flooring company. He planned to re-enlist in the Navy with a goal of becoming a Navy SEAL.

James Gill, his roommate in the Navy, spoke of the senselessness of the shooting spree at the suburban Denver theater.

"Asking why this happened to Jonny, of all people, has absolutely no answer," Gill said. "He made it a point to befriend everyone, and the guy didn't know what negativity was. Throw into that a little testosterone ... and you have one beautiful man."

Chantel Blunk said she and her husband often used humor to deal with life's difficulties.

"Everybody knows Jonny would say `suck it up,"' she said. "I'm going to miss him, but don't come at me with tears. I'll shoo you away from me if you do."

Blunk was a certified firefighter and emergency medical technician who spent the bulk of his time in the Navy aboard the USS Nimitz. He received a full military burial, including a gun salute and the playing of taps, at a hilltop cemetery overlooking Reno.

Amy DeGuzman, of Bremerton, Wash., his supervisor in the Navy and a pallbearer, conducted a ceremonial roll call of shipmates that included Blunk's name. When there was no answer, a shipmate responded, "Jonathan Blunk gave his life saving another."

About 30 current and former sailors who served with Blunk attended the funeral, with some serving as pallbearers.

"Be strong," Dawson advised family and friends, "and let's do what we can to get through it and be there for Chantel and the kids."

Contributions from a variety of sources, including the Reno Aces baseball team and the USS Nimitz, will go toward support of Blunk's widow and children, DeGuzman said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/04/navy-veteran-killed-in-colorado-movie-theater-massacre-may-have-tried-to-stop/print#ixzz22awjTMcA

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Hoo-Yah! Brother! Is all I can say..................God bless'em.

Vodin
08-05-2012, 05:12 AM
Ok, I live bout 20 miles away from the location.

In Colorado Guns are not allowed in movie theaters. You are not gonna risk your CC permit every time you go to a movie are you?

1 The police got there so fast because the police station is only 2 minutes from there about 1 mile away maybe 2.
2 Police don't always kill if the suspect gives up. (maybe I am wrong but who knows)
3 Cant reply
4 cant explain wont reply
5 Any weapon will try to banned with a result like that one.
6 They were homemade chemical if I understood right. They cant be banned since they are every day products.
7 Don't know but here is a thought to ponder. His father was a lead psychologist in a Mind Control Study. James (the suspect) was also 'involved' in the study.
8 Cant reply
9 I have researched this a little. The initial reports were that 2 came in the door b4 the shooting commenced. Those reports were latter 'removed' or not mentioned these were the very initial reports. An item was dropped in the opposite direction of where the suspect was found.
10 and that was also removed from the reporting.

Colorado seems to be a magnet for the past few years for events such as this. It is sad but it kinda makes you more aware of your surroundings. I am not saying that I preplanned all of my movements should a situation like this occur. Rather I try to keep a more focused attention with others. I am saddened for the losses and disabilities that occurred.

But there is a lesson to be learned in this. And it will be different for everyone.