PDA

View Full Version : SHTF Lessons from Gordon Ramsay

The Stig
07-22-2012, 03:09 PM
Occasionally I'll watch old re-runs of Hell's Kitchen. I like cooking shows and listening to Gordon Ramsay destroy people is oddly amusing.

It dawned on me last night that there are lessons embedded in the show that we can use in the midst of SHTF events, whatever they might be.

1) Perform under pressure: If you are familiar with the show, a bunch of cooks are thrown together to run a real live restaurant. They cook as a normal restaurant would with everybody on a given station (fish, meat, appetizers, etc), orders coming in, etc. In addition to the pressure of being on a TV show, cooking to order they have Ramsay screaming this and that at them. It's instructive to watch someone wilt and fall apart under the pressure. I've been there at various gun schools. It's amazing how I can muff a mag reload when I'm on the clock and the rest of the class is watching. Golfers see it when they tee-off in front of a group of people.

This isn't a ground breaking concept but people do tend to go to shit under stress. Knowing this, what are you doing to prepare for operating under stress?

2) Work as a team: Again and again people cook exceptionally well by themselves, at home. Again and again they fail when working as a team. Many times while cooking in a restaurant your dish is dependent on someone providing an element at an exact time. For example, the guy cooking the steak is counting on the dude cooking the side items to get everything done as his steak is coming out of the oven. So both people have to communicate when their dishes start cooking, how they are progressing, give a countdown when they are almost done, etc.

How well do you and your spouse communicate? If you have other people you'll be working with do you have established communication protocols? Have you practiced them out? Does everybody know their roles? Are you the meat station or cooking fish? Can you work with other people?

3) Prepare - Every year on the show one team seems to focus on knowing the recipes before the first dinner service while the other team seems to goof off. Guess which team usually does better that first night?

4) Leadership - I worked my way through school as a cook in a restaurant. While nowhere remotely close to the same level as a commercial kitchen, it did highlight how complex and confusing things can get. One position in the kitchen is called the "expediter". They are responsible for calling out the orders, assigning responsibilities, coordinating the timing of everything, handling any orders that are returned, and generally driving the ship.

Every season and every episode, the teams that don't have someone guiding the movement of the kitchen fall apart into chaotic messes. You can see it unfold to the point where there's a bunch of people doing stuff but nothing's happening.

If you are part of a team, do you have someone tasked with leadership? Are responsibilities understood? Does someone "drive the ship"?

5) Rebound from mistakes: One of the things Ramsay stresses is that everybody makes mistakes, but whats important is how they recover from it. Do they put their heads down and get back to work, or do they shut-down and fall apart?

Same applies to SHTF events, no matter what the size. If you suddenly realize you forgot item X do you freak out and run around like a nut or figure out some way to improvise? If your plan A, B and C fall apart do you calmly go on to plan D? (You do have multiple plans right?)

----------------------------

Nothing earth shattering here but it's funny where you can find lessons to apply to prepping/dealing with SHTF events.

bacpacker
07-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Damn I thought I was probably the only one in here to watch cooking shows. I have seen Gordon before, but he's not one I watch very often.

You do make great points about the comparison however. The only cooking I have ever done is just around the house, so no way I can relate to that way of looking at things. My background however comes from a Manufacturing plant I worked at as a supervisor for 7 years. At one point I had 23 folks working for me ranging from technicians with degrees to pure laborers. The automated equipment was spread out and had multiple lines running. Our production was 12,000/8 hours. Keeping an eye on equipment up time, scrap, & just general material flow could be a night mare, espically if you have 2-3 folks who aren't keeping up their end of the bargain.

How I dealt with this was to make sure everyone knew in NO uncertain terms what needed to be done that day and what part they played in it. I ended up initiating a rotation among the labor force where most everyone was cross trained to perform most every other job. There were a couple I couldn't do that with due to physical limitations, but they did everything they could. I also got all the techs cross trained to where they could operate and repair all the equipment. Ended up the whole department went that route and production went up across the board. But my point is if you ever have a group of folks you are leading and the situation allows, cross train them to the extent you can. The more folks who can do the most things are the most productive and have a shared sense of responsibility about whatever exist.

In a SHTF situation, like Stig mentioned there has to be multiple plans thought out and worked thru as best you can. But at some point the unexpected will happen and then is when the real pressure will start. Being able to keep your head about you and think thru alternatives quickly will be very high on the list of skills to have. I expect at some point after the SHTF there will be times that a, "community" we'll say, will be in a situation where a bunch of folks are running around like a chicken with it's head cut off and not getting anything accomplished, maybe something critical needs to get done right now. Somebody is gonna have to step up and lead that effort, delagate tasks, and instruct where needed.

There is no way to know who that will happen to that's on this site, but I can almost bet that it will to one or more of us at some point. Have you gave any thought to how you would go about that? What skills might that take that you don't currently have under your belt? How can you develop something like that? This is a whole different way of looking at SHTF Scenario's and IMHO well worth giving some thought to. Thanks for bringing this up Stig, Excellent topic.

Sniper-T
07-22-2012, 04:48 PM
I love cooking shows! I hate Ramsey! I'll turn it off before I watch that pompous ass! you do make good points though Stig... you too BP. I wouldn't have done well at boot camp. The last person to get in my face screaming like that was an old boss. I asked him to stop twice, then I dropped him. Probably wouldn't have gone over well with a drill sargeant.

LUNCHBOX
07-22-2012, 05:08 PM
I am sure that no matter what you plan for or what you think you are planned for.....you will be suprised and things will go wrong. I think Murphy and pressure are related. I have stated before that I know some things but I definately don't know it all. I also don't want any "1" individual in charge, the group I settle with will be in a "round table" agreement or me and mine will be on our way. Do get me wrong there will be times when one person may lead a certain mission but decisions must be shared IMO.

As for training....I try to mix up training under pressure when possible. When available, have someone else call out the task of operation.

Missing item X, there will be a few of those I bet. All you can do is your best. Everyone teaching others in the group what they know will be crucial.

izzyscout21
07-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Nice post, Stig. I never wold have drawn those conclusions from Hells' Kitchen without you pointing them out.

I'm a bug fan of cooking shows......I love to cook. I like Bobby Flay, and Paula..... and go figure....Giada....

Ramsay is one of my favorites. Yeah, he can be pompous at times, but if you ever catch his other show, Masterchef, he's actually a very likable guy. He's very nice and down to earth.

As far as the yelling and screaming go on Hell's Kitchen.... He has a business to run. It has to be done right the first time and there is a lot of pressure involved. There is a very high standard to maintain with no room for error.

Kinda like another job I used to have...................

The Stig
07-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Ramsay is one of my favorites. Yeah, he can be pompous at times, but if you ever catch his other show, Masterchef, he's actually a very likable guy. He's very nice and down to earth.

Did you see the episode a few weeks ago where he took the time to describe the Apple pie to the blind girl who doubted her cooking abilities in the challenge. It was so touching and thoughtful I was tearing up a tad. Yea, I said it. I'm a big homo.

As far as Giada...well....I can give you two very good reason why I like to watch her cook. ;) Yea, I said it. I'm a big perv.

izzyscout21
07-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Did you see the episode a few weeks ago where he took the time to describe the Apple pie to the blind girl who doubted her cooking abilities in the challenge. It was so touching and thoughtful I was tearing up a tad. Yea, I said it. I'm a big homo.

As far as Giada...well....I can give you two very good reason why I like to watch her cook. ;) Yea, I said it. I'm a big perv.

Yeah, I saw it. Very touching. I like how he takes time to verbally describe to her and guide her through what he's talking about since she can't see.

He's also very kind and constructive to the other contestants, even offering them time in his kitchen and supplying them with his cell number to call day or night.

I like the guy.

And yeah.......I like Giada.

bacpacker
07-22-2012, 05:55 PM

I better not start talking about her. I start drooling just a little. :) And I like both of those reasons.

LB, I agree a group situation (mag if you will) needs to have plenty of discussion to reach dicisions. I was speaking more to a neighborhood situation. You know a lot of folks are goinna be clueless, someone will have to step up, or they are down the tubes. A MAG scenario is totally different, most folks are on near the same page to start with, so a lot of choices will be much easier if not automatic.

piranha2
07-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Stig, you are spot on. Teamwork is the key.
Don't know why I like cooking shows, but I do.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/giadadelaurentiis.jpg/

The Stig
07-22-2012, 11:51 PM
I also don't want any "1" individual in charge, the group I settle with will be in a "round table" agreement or me and mine will be on our way. Do get me wrong there will be times when one person may lead a certain mission but decisions must be shared IMO.

LB - can you expound on this a bit further?

bacpacker
07-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Dammit Piranha! I just drooled a lot at that.

The Stig
07-22-2012, 11:54 PM
LB - can you expound on this a bit further?

ETA: Sorry for the Giada diversion. Let's get back on track a bit here.....