View Full Version : Preppers are going to die

izzyscout21
07-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Harsh title, but it's true.

This guy is spot on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi6DBnQ_tUo&feature=player_embedded

eagle326
07-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Izzy this has to be the damn truthful video I've ever seen. This man is dead on in view of a great many preppers. He brought up a great many false hoods of prepping.

izzyscout21
07-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Eagle,
I agree.

I think the only thing I don't see eye to eye 100% on is his obsession with the ACOG. Great sight, but not for everyone.

Other than that, he's nailed it.

eagle326
07-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Eagle,
I agree.

I think the only thing I don't see eye to eye 100% on is his obsession with the ACOG. Great sight, but not for everyone.

Other than that, he's nailed it.

I'll defer to on the sight to your knowledge as I'm not as up to date as you for the moment.

izzyscout21
07-23-2012, 12:44 AM
I'll defer to on the sight to your knowledge as I'm not as up to date as you for the moment.

Totally a side note and probably going to go into a new thread about optics......

I'm not the end all of gun knowledge, but it comes down to preference and employment.

ACOG is great for mid range distance(and does an ok job at closer too, with training). 100 and in, you're best suited with a red dot.

done with my thread hijack.

Dropy
07-23-2012, 01:02 AM
I loved the video.

And to be honest due to medical issues i was not allowed into the military even though i spent my entire childhood all the way thru highschool preparing to go into the army. And at NO time have i EVER pictured combat to be some sort of glorified ramboesque run and gun line em up and shoot em down sort of thing. Only blind fools would see battle this way.

If you get sick to your stomach watching band of brothers and saving private ryan then your in for a BIG surprise during the real thing....as i understand it.

I think the first thing people need is not guns, gear, food, water or ammo i think the first thing every person needs is to face the facts of where they are lacking mentally and physically. Do that and then go fix it. You will liev longer.

izzyscout21
07-23-2012, 01:12 AM
if you get sick to your stomach watching band of brothers and saving private ryan then your in for a big surprise during the real thing....as i understand it.

I think the first thing people need is not guns, gear, food, water or ammo i think the first thing every person needs is to face the facts of where they are lacking mentally and physically. Do that and then go fix it. You will liev longer.

bingo

Stg1swret
07-23-2012, 01:17 AM
The guy put out a great video. I'm and iron sight guy my self, 4x optics if I need them, Not into lasers or red dots, although I ve seen a few pretty good ones. Never seen an iron sight break, the rest all have. Your most dangerous weapon is your mind. Train to fight , fight to live, Pray for peace.

Echo2
07-23-2012, 02:38 AM
The acogs are good....but not necessary....they do take a average Joes hit count at beyond 300meters up a considerable notch.

The vid was full of yup.....scary but true.

helomech
07-23-2012, 02:40 AM
Good video, made me realize I need to do more drills on weapons failures, especially with my son.

Dropy
07-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Yeah, we need to get into gear too.

realist
07-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Train - check
Have a good rifle - check (Aimpoint, can't afford an ACOG)
Piles of ammo - check now get more.
Train more, train more and then train more..............still working on it.

Kodiak
07-25-2012, 12:48 PM
One unfortunate reality that ive accepted over the last few years of prepping is that no matter how much I prepare for a SHTF event I will never truely be ready. I will do my best to take care of my family and friends and hopefully we will live to see brighter days.

Until then all we can do is help each other prepare for the bad times ahead.

The Stig
07-25-2012, 01:44 PM
For this one narrow aspect of prepping, that is fighting, I'm pretty much in agreement.

There's more to prepping than fighting and there's more to SHTF than end of the world scenarios.

izzyscout21
07-25-2012, 01:53 PM
For this one narrow aspect of prepping, that is fighting, I'm pretty much in agreement.

There's more to prepping than fighting and there's more to SHTF than end of the world scenarios.

Agreed. Preparing and being ready to handle a bad situation is one thing (carjacking, robbery, active shooter, etc)..........

The belief that SHTF is just going to be one massive gunfight is another. Those who think they will live in a Costnerian Postman world are abject fools and life wasters that any sane and prosperous man should steer clear of.

LUNCHBOX
07-26-2012, 08:11 AM
One unfortunate reality that ive accepted over the last few years of prepping is that no matter how much I prepare for a SHTF event I will never truely be ready. I will do my best to take care of my family and friends and hopefully we will live to see brighter days.

Until then all we can do is help each other prepare for the bad times ahead.

I've got your back,,,,

The video was worth watching. He has repeated what numerous members have said here in the past.

hank2222
07-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Agreed. Preparing and being ready to handle a bad situation is one thing (carjacking, robbery, active shooter, etc)..........

The belief that SHTF is just going to be one massive gunfight is another. Those who think they will live in a Costnerian Postman world are abject fools and life wasters that any sane and prosperous man should steer clear of.

As you put there is more to prepping than living the mad max lifestyle .Me i just want to be comfortable that all not to worry about food or if i have clean body or clean clothing on that all that i really want out of that area now with the skills i have learned i know there is no such thing as a free lunch .

With that understanding i must have the skills and the training to keep myself from beening hurt in the long run

greg48
11-29-2012, 01:30 PM
i see too many shooters relying on the powered optics ie red laser sights etc... which are great tools but in a real world batteries fail and a shooter is faced with iron sights. marksmanship, if you are an ace over iron sights, lasers will elevate your abilities and you'll not be hendered when the batteries go down...there ar emany drills a shooter should work on, carrying/drawing a weapon, failure to fire or failure to feed drills. movement to contact drills, reflex drills, the list goes on.
"be a sheep or be a wolf..."

Stormfeather
12-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Great insight Greg, I too am not a fan of battery powered gizmos. I can use them, and have seen how they can be a force multiplier, but people need to focus on the basics first, then graduate to tacticool

prepguide
12-01-2012, 11:23 AM
A sobering video to be sure and one I'm glad the guy put together. I've run across all too many others who think that their fantasy of a nine-five daily gunbattle against poorly armed and stupid bad guys is reality. Personally I have NO desire whatsoever to get into a firefight. That being said does it mean I don't train for it? Of course not, it is prudent to train tactically as realistically as possible. There are plenty of real world situations in which we may find ourselves having to deal with violence. Somebody once told me and I've never forgotten this, You have to get lucky every time but they only have to get lucky once.

Good video, thanks for sharing it

greg48
12-11-2012, 10:29 AM
hey storm, seemed no matter how fresh the batteries, there was always something going down, the pac4 or a flashlight etc....can only carry so many batteries, can never carry enough ammo or water...i know you know this i'm just going down memory lane...

greg48
12-11-2012, 10:37 AM
prep, i know you understand it, there are those that have an idea of a fire fight or a battle when the are poo-pooing the aspects of a certain weapon, say a mosin nagant etc...as we know battles are cqc, battles are distance, battles are ambushes, battles can't be put into one word. battles are however best fought at a distance.

Jimmy24
12-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Was a good vid.

I have not been in true combat and hope I never have too. I listened to stories, at least what they would share, from 2 uncles and my grandfather about WW2. Uncles were in the Pacific theater and grandfather was with 82nd Airborne in Europe. What tales they told have stuck with me through the years. Combat/war is savage and brutal to say the least. It brings out the best...and the worst in men....

In 1972 all 5 services turned me down as an 18 year old. Between my eyes and an already twice operated on knee, they said I was a no-go. I have felt very sad at times about that, as I did want to serve my country. But as my grandfather said, "you should have been born in a different time anyway Jimmy". He always said I would have been better in a time as his father was in...

I have been preparing myself as best as I can. I actually do follow most of what the gentleman was prescribing. I've always considered a handgun as a backup. I would much rather take a bad guy on at 200 yards than at 20 feet. Least thats the way I see it. I also consider my shotgun as not much more than a backup. Between my 308, my SKS and my old 6.5 Swede they will have to be my battle rifles. Can't shoot but one at a time...I like battery powered optics, but not for real life. I shoot as best I can with iron sights, so I can have some sort of backup use when the scope gets broke or knocked off the rifle.

Oh well hope this doesn't bore you too much...

Jimmy

greg48
12-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Train - check
Have a good rifle - check (Aimpoint, can't afford an ACOG)
Piles of ammo - check now get more.
Train more, train more and then train more..............still working on it.

i've got a couple aimpoints, they work fine, not gonna put the rounds down range that a combat weapon requires.

greg48
12-13-2012, 03:51 PM
i see too many shooters relying on the powered optics ie red laser sights etc... which are great tools but in a real world batteries fail and a shooter is faced with iron sights. marksmanship, if you are an ace over iron sights, lasers will elevate your abilities and you'll not be hendered when the batteries go down...there ar emany drills a shooter should work on, carrying/drawing a weapon, failure to fire or failure to feed drills. movement to contact drills, reflex drills, the list goes on.
"be a sheep or be a wolf..."

a drill i forgot, transition from primary to secondary weapon. those of you that know theses drills are important i am just passing along suggestions to those trying to hone their weapons skills...

Stormfeather
12-14-2012, 02:16 AM
transition drills are hugely important, and just like shooting, are perishable skills. practice practice practice folks. . .

ElevenBravo
12-29-2012, 06:48 PM
I saw the vid a long time ago.. A lot of people hate what he has to say, but I think it's because he speaks the truth and from the heart. Prepping is NOT a guarntee, and theres a lot of "posers" out there (and in here???) that claim to be survivalist or preppers, and dont *DO* squat to actually gain skills or knowledge.

Buying some freeze dried food, an AR15 and reading the forums 4 hours a day... is *NOT* prepping, thats just planning for failure.

Boots in the field, alliance with others or forming a MAG, etc.. of course, along with buying the materials you need... will yield better end results.

Thanks for the post OP..
EB