PDA

View Full Version : Anaheim Protests/Riots

Foulball
07-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Hiya All,

Just thought I'd give an update on how the protests/riots are going out here in my neighborhood since it's made the front page of the Google News section.

It all started on Saturday afternoon when a police cruiser saw three known gang members around a car. Police come towards the men and they take off running. Police pursue one man who takes off down an alley. Police yell stop, man keeps running, police shoot him in the ass, after he's down another bullet goes through his cranium. Not good for the police because there are multiple witnesses around. The police union is now saying the policeman feared for his life, which is interesting since the suspect was fleeing with his back to the officers. I think I'll come right out and say that the Anaheim Police Dept. really screwed this one up. I could care less if a gangbanger gets killed, however, shooting and killing a fleeing man in the back without actually witnessing a crime occurring or having occurred is not good police work. To the people that witnessed it, it looked more like an execution than a suspect grab.

Now, after this happened, a crowd started to gather (not unusual in that neighborhood because most people are already outside hanging out, bbq'ing, walking, playing, etc.).
The police called in riot patrol after the crowd started to yell insults at the officers, throw bottles and rocks at them (allegedly because there is no hard evidence of this yet) and disturbing the "crime" scene. Police deployed beanbags and pepper at the crowd and a K-9 dog "got loose" from it's handler. Ok, no problem with the cops doing crowd control at a crime scene, however, there were lots of women and children at the scene and the police never gave the order to disperse. Why are there children around? Well, this is an extremely poor area, all apartments (most without A/C) and it was 85+ degrees outside, so naturally everyone was outside. Also, this all occurred within an hour to 2 hours after the shooting.

So, we come to last night. The people are pissed off and are going to march into the City Council meeting and demand accountability (never minding their accountability for allowing their kids to be gang bangers in the first place). The City Council gets too crowded and the police close the doors and bar anyone from entering.....awesome! So, they take to the streets and before long all the little gangsters and anarchists are out in full force throwing crap and lighting fires and breaking windows. Seven different police departments were called in to help the Anaheim PD as well as at least three helicopters. Pepper spray, bean bags and other crap was used on the unruly (and also on the reporters at the scene which made me laugh) and everything died down at about 1am.

I live about 3/4 of a mile from where the shooting happened and about 1 mile from where the riot happened. Good times I tell ya.

izzyscout21
07-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Foulball,

What effect has this had (if any) on your daily life?

Are you taking any precautions when you are at home/ work/ commuting?

Foulball
07-25-2012, 06:57 PM
I leave for work at around 4:30am and get home around 2pm, so it hasn't affected my work or commute because the real trouble has been between 5pm and 1am for the past three nights. It's real hard to sleep with sirens and helicopters all around though. At home, we haven't had any trouble yet. We live in the last house on a street that ends at railroad tracks that are used hourly by Amtrak and freight trains. I live in a pretty crappy neighborhood but everyone around us actually works for a living, so they aren't out joining the mob. We had to pick my brother in-law up from work at 5pm yesterday (works at the public library) instead of the usual 8pm because they shut the library down when a crowd of 200+ started heading for it. I don't think they messed with the actual building though. Lots of street closures, but as with any potentially violent mob situation, it's best just to stay low and hidden. Which is kind of hard for me in my neighborhood, lol. Oh, the wife's favorite Starbucks was smashed but nothing has been disturbed for me.

Grumpy Old Man
07-25-2012, 07:07 PM
FB stay safe buddy and watch your 6! I don't have that many hockey buddies that I can afford to lose even one.

On the other hand PnutR had shots heard at his place up by Bass Pro the other night. Pretty unusual up there. All is quiet where I am except for the idiot drivers.

Sounds like Anaheim PD has been training with the San Bernardino County Sheriffs, although San Bernardino doesn't get the press. A friend that works for the Water District up there says tensions are running real high. It's gonna be another long hot month out here!

Foulball
07-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Yeah Grumpy, this might be a real long couple of months. I wonder if it's gonna blow all at once or be little flare ups here and there all around the southland.
On a side note, got my .45 all cleaned and oiled and in its holster in the transportation attainment device.

Sniper-T
07-26-2012, 09:58 AM
I hope you're set up to cut out on a moments notice. mobs don't seem to care what they damage, as long as things get smashed. last house on the street... do you have an alternate method of egress? a place to go?

Stay safe!

Kodiak
07-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Sounds like your in the middle of a shit storm over there, FB. Stay safe and be ready to get out of town if things go south.

izzyscout21
07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
FB,
why don't you just go ahead and move out here?:cool: We don't have such nonsense around these parts..............

Seriously, though, stay safe brother. Keep your head on a swivel. I know that these mobs can come out of nowhere and one can be caught in the middle very quickly.

Foulball
07-29-2012, 02:22 AM
Thanks Izzy, I grew up on a farm out in the middle of nowhere and if I could leave here and go I definitely would. However, the wife would make me divorce her first and that means the kid would stay with here and I'm not going to do that.

I do have two alternate escape routes and alternate transportation methods. So that is covered along with materials for buttoning up the house for bugging in. There are six able bodied individuals here and three pitbulls if you count us and our neighbor.

Also, now that everything has calmed down, it's been discovered that the violence during the protests was started and perpatrated by Occupy LA and not the original protesters. This was not reported on by the media though, imagine that.

Anyways, watching my six and praying for sanity.

NWPilgrim
07-29-2012, 05:13 AM
Foulball, how is the scene around the convention area? A friend of mine is headed there for a long weekend conference. Is this happening away from there or should he be extra cautious? He is black by the way if that factors in or not for the local area?

Foulball
07-29-2012, 06:11 AM
NWP, convention center is next to Disneyland and between 4-5 miles from downtown with a ton of streets and two freeways in the way. No need to worry. It seems to have calmed down since tuesday night, there haven't been any repeat protests. As for him being black well that won't be a problem, there is every race, color and religion in that area. Believe me, Disney doesn't let anything mess with their profits and they profit from people enjoying themselves in and around the park which includes the convention center. Tell your friend to enjoy the food as there are several really good places to eat around that area.

NWPilgrim
07-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Excellent. Thanks for the good info FB!

Foulball
07-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Here is a little something from yesterday, for those who still don't think the militarization of our local police is a bad thing... I present Camouflage:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7xzot9RAo1ql7dolo1_1280.jpg

I believe this holds 40mm impact rounds:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/487197_413872058647895_123457592_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the barricaded police headquarters. They didn't feel the need to barricade City Hall or the Library or anything else, just the Police Station:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/314031_4398641373882_1069963440_n.jpg

bacpacker
07-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Let me see your papers (in my best German accent from WWII)

Foulball
07-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Here ya go bacpacker:

https://p.twimg.com/AzBDepECAAALlw5.jpg:large

bacpacker
07-30-2012, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't have a problem if they were being used to combat the illegal invasion.

Foulball
07-30-2012, 05:56 PM
C'mon, that ain't gonna happen it this state.

;)

Stormfeather
07-31-2012, 02:16 PM
That is california. . . so typical

izzyscout21
07-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Here is a little something from yesterday, for those who still don't think the militarization of our local police is a bad thing... I present Camouflage:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7xzot9RAo1ql7dolo1_1280.jpg

I believe this holds 40mm impact rounds:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/487197_413872058647895_123457592_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

No sense of style...............

ACU's are so gay............might as well have bright multicolor pastel as the uniform camo.....oh wait......they do....it's called ACU.............