PDA

View Full Version : Quick comment on vehicle emergency supplies/BOV's on hot days in direct sunlight

Marthony
07-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Hey there,

Thought I'd pass on what was funny at the time but might not be in another scenario - sunlight heating up vessels in closed vehicles & turning them into slightly pressurized vessels..!

The other weekend I opened my car's tupperware kit, got the sunscreen out, and had the bottle gently explode on me upon opening it. A small mess and a waste, but not an issue. However, I don't know what other fluids in there would do if they got in the eyes; windshield washer fluid, engine coolant, etc. For the latter I've 600ml pop bottles of each (labeled) in case I need some. So, I now securely wrap my windshield sun reflector over top of the tupperware bin to prevent the contents getting that hot..!

On a similar note, I recall hearing about one lady falling ill after consuming the contents of a water bottle left in the car over some long term. I now have a simple piece of cardboard over my 4-bottle carrier behind my seat so the sun doesn't degrade the plastic so much. Imo mine aren't in my vehicle long enough for the sun to do this, and I rotate the bottles when I restock between road trips, but that's my $.02.

Echo2
07-30-2012, 07:40 PM
yup....packing some stuff in an igloo cooler helps with fast temp changes...but it still changes temp.

Sniper-T
07-30-2012, 07:42 PM
I do a lot of hauling of trailers, so I usually carry a grease gun in my truck. A couple years ago, it got hot enough that the grease just ran out, and left one heck of a mess of the carpet!

The plus side, is that the can of wd40 was so pressurized it was like spraying a hornet bomb. So I opened both doors, stood on one side and blasted most of the grease out onto the parking lot. It was a while before I lit a smoke in the truck though!
lol

ak474u
07-31-2012, 04:19 AM
I had a can of big red launch out of the back seat, and zoom around like a fire extinguisher once, it only lasted a second, I didn't have time to say "whaaaaaa" it was 135* in my truck today after an appointment. Of course, I had just gotten out of a 159* attic. Lol. Good point on the cooler, I've used this method before.

ladyhk13
07-31-2012, 04:21 AM
My son just called me the other day and told me to dump out the water that I've been hauling around in my car for months and months. He said that the plastic degrades and the toxins goes into the water and is poisoneous. Figured I would keep them in there anyway in case the radiator springs a leak.

Marthony
07-31-2012, 04:38 AM
Indeed..! I'm sure some containers are better than others, but expect sunlight & heat to speed up the process. What I don't know is how long different types of bottles are good for at room temp when kept out of the sun.

Another mini-project to do... =)

realist
07-31-2012, 03:56 PM
We are constantly on the road with my daughter's sports so we routinely rotate out the water in the cars and truck. One thing that I learned on having an uninsulated Conex box is that when things that are plastic are subjected to high temperatures they break down. This would be the same for a vehicle. So be aware that you want to watch everything that you have in car, it gives you a reason to inventory your gear a couple of times a year.