PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control Efforts Thread - Post all new gun control efforts here

Stg1swret
07-31-2012, 01:23 PM
From the WASHINGTO TIMES:

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Monday that President Obama will "evaluate" a new bill that would ban online ammunition sales in the wake of the shooting massacre in Aurora, Colo. That left 12 dead and dozens more injured.

During the daily press briefing, Mr. Earnest was asked whether Mr. Obama supports the measure, which aims to end sales of unlimited amounts of ammunition on the Internet and other mail orders. The bill also would force ammunition dealers to report large sales of bullets and other munitions to law enforcement authorities

At first Mr. Earnest said he didn't know if Mr. Obama was aware of a bill sponsored by Sen. Frank Lautenberg, Democrat from New Jersey, and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, a Democrat from New York. He later amended this remarks to say the White House would evaluate the measure.

"The president's view that have been relayed quite frequently over the last few days, you know, is that he believes in the Second Amendment of the Constitution, in the right to bear arms but he also believes that we should take robust steps within existing law to ensure that guns don't fall in the hands of criminals or others [who] shouldn't have them," he said, referring to gun-control comments Mr. Obama made during at speech at the National Urban League.

The reporter followed up by asking whether the president's push for enforcing existing law would prevent him from supporting the bill banning online munition sales.

"Well, like I said, I haven't seen the specific piece of legislation that has been offered up today. But as those — as that and other pieces of legislation make their way through the legislative process, you know, we'll consider — we'll evaluate them as they make their way through the process," he noted.

Sniper-T
07-31-2012, 01:35 PM
stock up guys, stock up now!

izzyscout21
07-31-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm not so sure it would pass the house, but I've seen crazier stuff................

Stg1swret
07-31-2012, 02:24 PM
here is the AP report:

NEW YORK (AP) — Ten days after the Colorado movie theater massacre, federal lawmakers introduced a bill that would effectively ban people like suspect James Holmes from buying thousands of rounds of ammunition by mail or online.

"It's time to close the loophole that's allowing killers — deranged, insane — and even terrorists to buy ammunition online," said U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey.

He was joined Monday on the steps of City Hall in Manhattan by U.S. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy of New York to announce the Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act.

McCarthy's husband was killed and their son paralyzed in 1993 after a gunman opened fire on a Long Island Rail Road train, leaving five others dead.

Lautenberg said he and McCarthy, both Democrats, were "on a mission": to ensure the safety of all Americans by passing legislation that would close loopholes in gun laws allowing people like the suspect in the Aurora, Colo., shootings "to anonymously stockpile for mass murder."

Under the bill, only licensed dealers would be allowed to sell ammunition. They would have to notify a law enforcement official within five business days about any sale of more than 1,000 rounds to an unlicensed person.

The bill also would require buyers who aren't licensed dealers to show a photo ID. And that would mean eye contact with someone purchasing ammunition.

"If you're going to buy these large amounts of ammunition, somebody should see your face," Lautenberg said.

Holmes purchased 6,000 rounds of ammunition online "like you might order shoes or food," Lautenberg said. "He didn't have to interact with another human being who could have noticed his abnormal behavior."

The legislation, to be introduced in Congress this week, was spurred by the Colorado movie theater shooting rampage that killed 12 people and injured more than 50. The suspect, Holmes, was charged Monday with 142 counts in the massacre; he hasn't yet entered a plea.

The July 20 rampage follows other recent mass violence including the 1999 Columbine shootings, the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre and last year's shooting in Tucson that killed six and seriously injured U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona.

"We are calling for a national outcry to stop gun violence in this country," McCarthy said.

On the morning after the Aurora killings, McCarthy said, she was brought back "to that moment when your family went through a similar tragedy, and the pain does not go away."

The White House on Monday didn't immediately offer its support to the Democrat-sponsored bill.

"I haven't seen the specific piece of legislation that has been offered up today," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said at the daily briefing, adding that it would be "evaluated."

He said President Barack Obama "believes in the Second Amendment of the Constitution, in the right to bear arms." But the president "also believes that we should take robust steps, within existing law" to address gun issues.

Since the Aurora shootings, one of the most outspoken voices in favor of gun control has been New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who is pressing Obama and his Republican challenger Mitt Romney to tackle the issue of gun violence.

Please no political ramblings about this.

Echo2
07-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Oh Boy.....

realist
07-31-2012, 03:45 PM
So you don't ban guns but you ban the ammo, it is the same thing, all you would have is a wall hanger or a big club.

bacpacker
07-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Carolyn McCarthy is a nut case herself. She pops up with this crap all the time. However between this bill and little Chuckie Schumer''s hi cap mag ban. They may sneak one of these thru. I could see that happening easily after the election before the end of the year.

I think that will be the two areas I will hit had over the next month or three. I can always use more ammo and mags don't eat anything just sitting around.

Twitchy
07-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Carolyn McCarthy is a nut case herself. She pops up with this crap all the time. However between this bill and little Chuckie Schumer''s hi cap mag ban. They may sneak one of these thru. I could see that happening easily after the election before the end of the year.

I think that will be the two areas I will hit had over the next month or three. I can always use more ammo and mags don't eat anything just sitting around.

You know things are bad when you don't even have an assembled gun yet and are looking to get the mags and ammo for it first...

Twitchy
08-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Mary Wisniewski Reuters

6:46 p.m. CDT, July 31, 2012

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Illinois Governor Pat Quinn on Tuesday proposed a state ban on assault weapons in the aftermath of the July 20 movie theater massacre in Colorado in which a former graduate student is charged with killing 12 people with guns including a semi-automatic rifle.

Quinn, a Democrat, called himself a "strong supporter" of the constitutional right to bear arms, but said in a letter to state legislators that the proliferation of military-style assault weapons undermines public safety.

"There is no place in the state of Illinois for weapons designed to rapidly fire at human targets at close range," said Quinn, who also proposed a ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines.

States including California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York have similar bans in place, Quinn said. A nationwide ban on certain semiautomatic rifles expired in 2004.

Read More: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-guns-illinoisbre86u1tf-20120731,0,3360788.story

So folks, it seems the amount of legislation to ban, or limit firearms are ramping up... any Illinois residents here to chime in?

Gunfixr
08-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Well, crazier things have happened, so maybe.
But right now, the big political focus is on the economy, and there's been a resurgence in the belief of gun ownership with the populace.

Any politician seeking reelection here in the near future who ignores the economy and goes after the guns or ammo knows they might soon be unemployed.
And since the sole job of pretty much all politicians for the last few decades has been to maintain their employment status, it's not highly likely.

Not impossible, but definitely not a shoo-in. Might not hurt to stock up anyways, ammo's not getting any cheaper, but I wouldn't do it to the exclusion of other important items, unless you don't have any.

bacpacker
08-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Gfixer, I agree with you in regards to not neglecting other preps to get more ammo or mags. My statement did sound that way after rereading it. Those are just two items that stay on my list and move up or down depending on what I have gotten lately. They have been working there way back up since I hadn't picked up any mags in the last year or so and have a target number in mind I want to get to for now. As for ammo, I have recently made a nice addition of .22 and 12ga rounds. Now it's time to go back after .223 and .308 rounds. to get back in balance.

Gunfixr
08-01-2012, 02:29 AM
I was meaning in general, not really directed at anybody.
Yes, it could happen, but I don't think it's real likely.

Now, after the election, all bets are off. If Obama gets back in, he cannot get a third, he can do whatever he pleases.

ladyhk13
08-01-2012, 03:37 AM
Yeah, why am I not surprised. I have friends who live there and can't wait to be able to move to a different state.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-01-2012, 04:15 AM
I'm surprised it wasn't proceeded by Illinois Congressman Bobby "Mush Mouth" Rush wearing a Hoodie and holding a deposit your assault weapons here sign next to a cardboard box. Which would then be carried off by your local black panthers to be "held" at your next election. By the way, we already have an "assault weapons" ban.

Be safe...............the night is your friend.

GunnerMax
08-01-2012, 12:49 PM
This is another reason I love Virginia.

Twitchy
08-01-2012, 07:31 PM
You know, its sad when there is an entire thread dedicated to gun control efforts... that is simply MESSED up...

Sniper-T
08-01-2012, 07:40 PM
I can give you links to some Canadian sites. There are dozens of entire categories of thousands of threads each about our legislation. Count yourselves lucky so far! But beware...

ETA:

for example, http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=90

there are over 5600 threads in the category, Legalese.

Grumpy Old Man
08-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm still trying to fathom the arrogance of these pols trying to legislate away a God-given right!

eagle326
08-01-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm still trying to fathom the arrogance of these pols trying to legislate away a God-given right!

Grumpy if you lived on Mount Olympus as they believe they do then you and the rest of us would understand. They believe their thinking is light years above our understanding. Who better to protect you than them ; After all they are but God's in their own minds. Thus sayeth the Govt. Gods. :rolleyes:

The Stig
08-01-2012, 10:37 PM
So how do these efforts effect your prepping efforts?

Sniper-T
08-02-2012, 10:53 AM
The DE-regulation of the long arms here, just allowed me to pick up a model 94 That will be greased up and tucked inside a wall in my hunting shack for $50.00. The same old guy has a shotty and a .22, that he's holding onto until fall, when I can take him out for one last chicken hunt before he sells them to me for about the same price.

The law change here has brought a large number of guns out of the closets, and back into the market, as well as ammunition. (He threw in 6 -half to 3/4 full boxes of ammo for the .30-.30)

The Stig
08-02-2012, 11:50 AM
I love the smell of Freedom in the morning.

eagle326
08-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Their efforts don't affect me one bit Stig. I go about doing what I need to do and keep a watchful eye on their mind games.

I try to live and plan as if I'll be broke when I wake up the next day. The only thing it makes me is more aware of my surroundings.
I don't mean this to be glib. Prepping is a natural way of life for most of us and while we keep an eye on events it can't become a distraction. We must use the ballot box and converse with those who are open minded.

Grumpy Old Man
08-02-2012, 08:42 PM

Things such as this have the following effects on my efforts:

1) Become more gray, pay cash

2) Everyone has an agenda, me especially. Focus on my agenda, but don't get distracted by others'. Maintain awareness of their agenda, just don't let it sidetrack me.

3) Play the broken down old man card more often. I.E. "I'm no threat, just a bewildered old guy that would like a beer"

eagle326
08-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Things such as this have the following effects on my efforts:

1) Become more gray, pay cash

2) Everyone has an agenda, me especially. Focus on my agenda, but don't get distracted by others'. Maintain awareness of their agenda, just don't let it sidetrack me.

3) Play the broken down old man card more often. I.E. "I'm no threat, just a bewildered old guy that would like a beer"

Gee Grumpy it seems as though we have the same play book. :cool:

Gunfixr
08-03-2012, 01:39 AM
It's not going to affect my prepping efforts a lot, as I have most of the ammo I could use already.
But for those who are still stocking, it drives prices up, and limits availability, due to purchasing exceeding production.

If it were to happen, those still stocking would be cut off.

Echo2
08-03-2012, 10:51 AM

We have standardized our calibers to martial rounds......5.56....308.....9mm....and such.

All of this we can buy in bulk... and in the event.....it will be on the black market due to the fact that MIL/LEO use these rounds.

The martial rounds are cheap enough that we can practice more.....and I don't care about the arguments about 9mm vs 45 and such....because hits on target is what matters....and we train enough to do that....:)