PDA

View Full Version : Tired of this heat

helomech
07-31-2012, 05:30 PM
I am offshore, so the humidity is always high, but yesterday there was no wind blowing and not a cloud in the sky. Here is a pic of the OAT (outside air temp) gauge in the helicopter.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/work/20120730_162359.jpg

The Stig
07-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Yea....it's been pretty swampy over here too. Temps in the low 90's but the "feels like" pushing and over 100F. Humid as hell too.

It's been flat nasty

Sniper-T
07-31-2012, 06:59 PM
yep, it's 94F here now, with 66% humidity... feels like 118F

I'm meltiiiiiinnnnggggg.....

JustAPrepper
07-31-2012, 07:01 PM
It's been hot here as well but surprisingly not unbearable...until the last three days. Now it's wicked hot and humid. The minute I step outside I break out in a sweat and the air is so thick I can feel it when I breathe. August in Florida...Ugh.

Gearhead
07-31-2012, 08:15 PM
I don't know about you guys, but in my part of the woods, it's snowing.

Just kidding, but it'd be nice.

bacpacker
07-31-2012, 08:19 PM
After our run of 100+ for about 3 weeks it dropped into the mid 80s for a couple weeks. Back in the mid 90s and 50+ humidity for the last 2-3 weeks. It sucks, but then I think about yous that were in the sandbox. Its not that bad here!

Snow would be nice though. GH how bout sending some this way.

helomech
07-31-2012, 08:31 PM
I tell you this, I have been in the deserts, but this dang heliport feels worse. I think it is that large steel deck with the sun shinning on it all day. Plus with the humidity we have being 80 miles offshore is really sucks. I don't think I could stay up there 2 hours without falling out, and I work in the sun all day at my house with no breaks. This stuff out here is horrible.

ak474u
07-31-2012, 09:02 PM
159.6* at work today. I win! Lol. Was in an attic with zero ventilation doing a quote earlier, and I felt like beef jerky when I got out. The roof deck was 172* on the inside on the south side. When I'm done with it, it'll be about 100* max on a day like this. I've got 6 more to inspect tomorrow, and it's gonna be 108*. I shoulda stayed in college.

Echo2
07-31-2012, 09:49 PM
To all you Scouts out there....it's 72 degrees and sunny.....:)

Gearhead
07-31-2012, 10:45 PM
To all you Scouts out there....it's 72 degrees and sunny.....:)

So youre 72 degrees, AND you make flashlights... Jeez... You got it made!

Echo2
07-31-2012, 10:54 PM
So youre 72 degrees, AND you make flashlights... Jeez... You got it made!

No matter what conditions.....it's always 72 and sunny at Scout camp.....:)

helomech
07-31-2012, 10:59 PM
159.6* at work today. I win! Lol. Was in an attic with zero ventilation doing a quote earlier, and I felt like beef jerky when I got out. The roof deck was 172* on the inside on the south side. When I'm done with it, it'll be about 100* max on a day like this. I've got 6 more to inspect tomorrow, and it's gonna be 108*. I shoulda stayed in college.

yeah, you win.

Grumpy Old Man
07-31-2012, 10:59 PM
It's a balmy mid 90s day here today, kinda cool. I may have to go put on a sweater. On a serious note, I start the plant at 4:00 a.m so the production is done by 2:30 p.m. and the worst of the heat is avoided. The bad part is we don't do humidity well here in the desert, so the storms in the Pacific make us miserable. But when it's cold we'll be moaning about that too.

JustAPrepper
07-31-2012, 11:26 PM
Grumpy, I never complain about the cold. At least not *our* cold (and we do get freezing temps here.) Sniper's kind of cold, maybe, but I am from northern Michigan so I do know a little about frigid conditions. In all my years here I still have never acclimated to this heat.

~~Justa...counting the days until October.~~

Gunfixr
07-31-2012, 11:35 PM
Ya know, Echo, I'm in Va, and it's way more than 72 here, and plenty humid.

It storms right much lately, and then steam comes off the roads for hours.

Especially nice.

Echo2
07-31-2012, 11:42 PM
Ya know, Echo, I'm in Va, and it's way more than 72 here, and plenty humid.

It storms right much lately, and then steam comes off the roads for hours.

Especially nice.

On my mountain...75degrees......getting ready to rain....thundering now...

Gunfixr
08-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Looks like I need a mountain.

Twitchy
08-01-2012, 12:21 AM
90 something here... feels like an oven... I occasionally contemplate moving to alaska to beat the heat...

IDTANDY
08-01-2012, 10:50 PM
107 here but not humid index around 112.

Gearhead
08-02-2012, 01:15 AM
90 something here... feels like an oven... I occasionally contemplate moving to alaska to beat the heat...

Call me. I wanna live up there.

Twitchy
08-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Call me. I wanna live up there.

I'll keep you in mind!

Dropy
08-02-2012, 01:31 AM
i cant wait till we move to alska......18 ish more months.....

Evolver
08-02-2012, 04:10 PM
This is the 1st time that I've went to Utah in the summer in the 6 yrs that I've lived in Florida. The highs were 102s and 103s but to me it felt like 80... Dry and hot is 1000 times better than Humid and hot any day as far as I'm concerned. When it's dry and you sweat it cools you, when it's humid and you sweat... your hot and wet all day.

Twitchy
08-02-2012, 10:46 PM
It seems several ants have the mutual idea to move to alaska...

Evolver
08-02-2012, 11:56 PM
It seems several ants have the mutual idea to move to alaska...

I won't go that far:)... The winters there would consume too much energy and the long winter would do me in. I'm already crazy and if you add stir craziness to the mix I would be a goner. :p

eagle326
08-03-2012, 12:53 AM
I won't go that far:)... The winters there would consume too much energy and the long winter would do me in. I'm already crazy and if you add stir craziness to the mix I would be a goner. :p

Ahhhhh you'll be alright Evolver. If enough Ants move to Alaska you'll have so much fun and enough things to do that you'll forget about the cold.
Besides crazy is a state of mind ; All of us normal people wallow in it. :cool:

bacpacker
08-03-2012, 01:27 AM
[QUOTE=eagle326;38941Besides crazy is a state of mind ; All of us normal people wallow in it. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Eagle why are you letting my secrets out?

Gunfixr
08-03-2012, 01:30 AM
I'd go to Alaska, but my wife would never go for it.

bacpacker
08-03-2012, 02:13 AM
Mine would go with me in a heart beat. Just taking a trip there is way up on our list.

helomech
08-03-2012, 02:28 AM
I would love to move to Montana except for the cold.

Sniper-T
08-03-2012, 10:41 AM
My brother lived in Alaska for many years, but I only visited once. If you're near Anchorage, the cold isn't that bad, but the light/dark cycles will really mess ya up.

rice paddy daddy
08-03-2012, 01:42 PM
At The Ol' Homestead July and August gets day time highs 105+ in the shade. Upper 90's is welcome.
But I just remember that in January, and those mornings in the teens and low twenties don't seem so bad.
Our part of Florida is the part above Jacksonville that sticks up into Georgia. This is as far north as I want to live.
A winter in the Colorado front range gave me all the below zero temps and snow I ever want to see for the rest of my life.

Grumpy Old Man
08-03-2012, 04:24 PM
I lived in CO for many years and even managed a ready-mix and sand and gravel operation in Gunnison. It all sounds cool until you face the realities of surviving the decreased daylight and longer winters and sub-zero temperatures. I have several friends in Alaska, and their growing season is short! There is great hunting, but that is a relatively short season. There is great fishing, but that is restricted to the summer months, unless you ice fish (which can be a great time,IF you're prepared for it).

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but living in Alaska is like living in the Rockies, it takes adequate preparation, both physical and mental, to survive the winters! It's all too easy to get a case of the "shack nasties" in the winter months.

Echo2
08-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Growing season isn't long enough.

Sniper-T
08-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Improvise! Adapt! Overcome!

Compared to most of you, my growing season is too short, but I make do. My parents always had a garden and we canned/froze enough to put away for the winter easily.

work with your environment, not against it

rice paddy daddy
08-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Grumpy, my time in Colorado was at Ft Carson, Colorado Springs. I was in a field artillery unit, and they took that quite literally. We spent a lot of time in the field. Tent living, and crapping in a slit trench, in below zero weather with beaucoups snow was an experience for this Florida boy. One that I'll never, ever, voluntarily repeat.
Although seeing Pikes Peak every day was beautiful.

eagle326
08-03-2012, 07:41 PM
To me weather is a state of mind. Here in Ohio I hear people constantly complain about the heat. The same people then turn around and complain about the cold harsh winters. They knew Ohio was a 4- season state and yet they bitch.
Now I'm not as young as I once was ; But in the winter I put on my oil soaked Long Rider and head gear and fire up the snow blower and clear my horse shoe shaped drive way. It takes an hour or so and being dressed in layers keeps me warm enough to actually enjoy being out in it. Just the feel of the cold crisp air in your nostrils and the feel of fresh air in your lungs is a good change of pace from the hot summer air.

As I said it's all a state of mind. Alaska believe it or not is the same way. As for the months of darkness ; To me it's just like not turning on the light in a room. But then sitting or being in darkness is rather soothing to me maybe I'm just weird that way. When I was still working I preferred nights. It was more peaceful and quiet and the sounds of nature were more alive and noticeable.

Not taking away from Alaska's harsh conditions. But you might be surprised how easy you could adapt to living there if you needed to.

Grumpy Old Man
08-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Hey guys, I live in the desert by choice. I didn't have to take this job, but.......

All I'm really trying to point out is that harsh environments (and Alaska is one, just like the Mojave) require additional thinking and mental prepping. I drink a minimum of 1/2 gallon of water/day just to stay even. I should probably drink more. When I was in CO I layered my clothing, even my socks. I still have 3 sets of silk long johns. They are absolutely the warmest of any that I have. I still have my wool clothes which I favor over synthetics. So I can go there and not have to expend a lot of cash on equipment. But I would still have to spend some.

In general I think that preparing for cold is somewhat easier than preparing for extreme heat. But as Sniper says improvise, adapt, overcome. BTW I'm only using my air conditioner 2 hrs/day. Electricity is $$$$$ out here.