PDA

View Full Version : Let the readers decide

The Stig
05-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Ok everybody....Fall Out is clearly coming to an end. Wish the timing had been a little different so more people could have enjoyed it but such is life.

In any event, I am in the process of deciding what to do next. Here are the options:

1) A follow up to Fall Out. I have the basic plot outline worked out and have actually written the opening chapter. It's the same players but 1.5 years later. Suffice it to say life has changed a lot in the country in that time. I think you'll enjoy the twists and turns in this one (let's just say it ain't going to be pretty)....but it's the forth part of the same story. I don't want to bore people.

2) A prequel to everything focusing on what Miller did in his past life. Would be totally new characters in a totally new setting.

Honestly, the prequel interests me very much. I've been mulling that over for a while, and a trusted adviser indicated this might be fun. The problem is I have to come up with a whole new scenario and it has to be one I believe in.

The backdrop to the first three stories was easy because it's based around the areas I've lived in or visited. I can see the location in my minds eye so it's easy to describe.

More importantly, if I drop Miller into the middle of a revolution in the Ukraine (for example), I want it to be believable. I can make up the scenery, but I don't know any of the culture, customs, language or other tidbits that make a story believable. Just calling the bad guy "Yuri" doesn't seem to cut it.

In short, I'd have to do some real research to make the story real (or at least real to me).

So the question becomes this: do I write the follow up to Fall Out now, which would be comparatively easier....or do I delay the introduction of the next story (which excites me more) while I do the ditch-digging to come up with the facts needed to make it believable?

Input from those of you kind enough to read my ramblings would be much appreciated.

izzyscout21
05-05-2011, 02:34 PM
+1 for the prequel. after that, I give you exclusive rights to write my life story.....

RedJohn
05-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Well, I have to admit that I did not read it. Lack of time, I guess.

Grumpy Old Man
05-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Is it possible for us to have both? I voted for the continuation only because I had to choose just one. I'm getting greedy in my old age I guess.

alpmco
05-05-2011, 05:14 PM
SORRY! I had to do it! It was one and one and no one had voted for Hack. I like things to be even / symmetrical. I've not read any of the stories yet but it is on my to do list. :)

bacpacker
05-05-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm in the same boat as Grumpy, I'd love to see both. If that's not possible, I'd proably say "Vengence". Quicker and easier on you, it'll get to us quicker, plus (I assume) it will give closure to the Miller saga. OTOH I would love to read the prequel, that has to be a killer story.

Thor827
05-05-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm in the same boat as Grumpy, I'd love to see both. If that's not possible, I'd proably say "Vengence". Quicker and easier on you, it'll get to us quicker, plus (I assume) it will give closure to the Miller saga. OTOH I would love to read the prequel, that has to be a killer story.

This

alpmco
05-06-2011, 12:32 AM
I just started reading Fallout. I would love to get these in pfd so I could read them on the ipod when I'm not shackled to the computer.

alaska
05-06-2011, 02:26 AM
guess i best go read it

Stg1swret
05-06-2011, 02:47 AM
having read all three installments of the Miller saga, I'd like to see both. the prequel will obiously be research intensive, but we would have the follow up to Fallout to tide us over.

biggcarl
05-06-2011, 01:55 PM
I've greatly enjoyed all 4 stories revolving around ClarMar farms. I thank you for your talents and sharing them with us. I say you write what interests you more right now. I'll read and enjoy what ever direction you choose. Would I hate to wait? Hell yeah. But I feel you'll be happier writing prequel right now.

The Stig
05-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the replies everybody. Not sure why I was making a mountain out of a molehill.

I'm going to attempt to "do both"....well sort of.

I'm going to go ahead and write the final installment of the current saga. I've wrote some more of Vengeance and I'm starting to get a good flow going. I felt that Fall Out drug a little bit, especially in the middle, but I've got a couple things for the new one I think you'll like......and it's piqued my creative juices. Also, the action is moving to new locations so that should spice things up a fair amount.

But....while I'm writing Vengeance I'll begin doing the homework so that I can start on the prequel soon after the current story ends.

Sorry to sound so "tortured artist" about all this. Just wanted to get some input. Mostly this amateur gibberish is for my own enjoyment, but I also wanted to try to do things you might enjoy.

bacpacker
05-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Lookin forward to whatever comes out.

piranha2
05-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Finish Fallout.

gunbuilder69
06-12-2011, 04:32 PM
You know I have enjoyed them! Hit me up if you need any more mil input.

izzyscout21
06-13-2011, 01:48 AM
You know I have enjoyed them! Hit me up if you need any more mil input.

ditto