PDA

View Full Version : Flares....

LUNCHBOX
08-02-2012, 06:49 AM
Has anyone thought of using flares for emergency comms. I understand that there could be bad guys in your area but in general flares are common and can be purchased fairly cheap. I've found some smaller ones in the marine department at Bass Pro Shop.

Of course, this is a "I'm in a secure location and have the manpower to hold this position"

Any thoughts?...Good thoughts that is. We all know this would be like firing at someone with a laser on your weapon (here I am, return fire)

Echo2
08-02-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm assuming you are talking about trip flairs.....

We have went with more the "audible" trip alarms....those little personal alarms in a solo cup rigged to a trip line.

We have a few IR strobe trip alarms for night.

And a few of these...http://www.ebay.com/itm/280786133266?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

GunnerMax
08-02-2012, 04:52 PM
I'm the next couple weeks, I will be getting a couple of maritime distress flares from@ a local supplier. I have the pouches, and decent need to have them

Sniper-T
08-02-2012, 05:17 PM
considering that both my Primary and Secondary BOL's are made from wood, and in the bush, fire is not necessarily my friend!

That said, I have a pile of flares in my marine kits, but they would only be used in one forseeable scenario!

BROKEN ARROW!!!

IDTANDY
08-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Mil spec Day/night flares like some these have their uses.Smoke end provides 45 sec of heavy red smoke.A distraction.Added benifit the smoke is very irritating to skin and eyes.The day end has lots of uses but you could torch your BOL
http://www.aviationsurvival.com/Flares-Pyrotechnics_c_9.html
Smoke
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8106/p1010052eb.jpg

Flare end
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8494/p1010078xo.jpg

Sniper-T
08-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Yep. getting the ingredients for these put together. I might tuck one in the bottom of the firepit one day just to freak out the wife! lol

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=HOW+TO+MAKE+A+SMOKE+BOMB&view=detail&mid=59F3AB258443C0B7EB6859F3AB258443C0B7EB68&first=0

Echo2
08-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Yep. getting the ingredients for these put together. I might tuck one in the bottom of the firepit one day just to freak out the wife! lol

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=HOW+TO+MAKE+A+SMOKE+BOMB&view=detail&mid=59F3AB258443C0B7EB6859F3AB258443C0B7EB68&first=0

Not if it's any where near the house you wont......those thing wreak......ask me how I know....:)

Sniper-T
08-02-2012, 07:06 PM
how do you know?

lol.

depending which pit we're using, it could be well far enough away.

LUNCHBOX
08-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Whether to used for security as a trip flare or a location marker, I left it open for discussion. I feel there are enough uses to warrent the purchase of a few at least.....(marker, signal, fire, even a night light if needed, etc)

Sniper-T
08-02-2012, 07:13 PM
or to blind someone using night vision???

Echo2
08-02-2012, 07:21 PM
or to blind someone using night vision???

Auto gated baby!!!

A buddy asked for help mixing up some of those.....simple enough......but they stink....badly....wife wouldn't let me bring clothes inside....had to wash them outside.

bacpacker
08-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Damn it! My needs list just keeps growin these last few days.

ladyhk13
08-07-2012, 04:39 AM
I was thinking about this last week. Since getting to our property is impossible unless you have keys to the gates I was thinking that if shtf and people needed to get to us, how would we know they were at the gate waiting to get it if we didn't know when they were coming and the cell phones were down? Flares towards our property was what come to mind...we would be able to see them and know we needed to come to the gate. Kind of like a really pretty doorbell.

LUNCHBOX
08-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Lady, not abad idea (be careful in summer-fires) you could hide them in a fake rock or hollow tree, a certain color so you know.

Echo2
08-07-2012, 10:21 AM
I was thinking about this last week. Since getting to our property is impossible unless you have keys to the gates I was thinking that if shtf and people needed to get to us, how would we know they were at the gate waiting to get it if we didn't know when they were coming and the cell phones were down? Flares towards our property was what come to mind...we would be able to see them and know we needed to come to the gate. Kind of like a really pretty doorbell.

TA-312s....

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4093/4822160569_b806c64cc7_z.jpg

slowz1k
08-07-2012, 04:30 PM

For the above scenario, I'd opt for something like this depending on the distance needed. Cheap and simple... Just like me!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0pLosFOzGmC484nuo26xx4GFR1C58Y K2ABBK7FxmAwRPAqOOi

or

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgLb4xPkN5bydFZFnG1eZ1YTULO7bPV GWR1kdfHVkEXS9vp51q

Twitchy
08-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I also vote something non pyrotechnic... one wise guy and your place is up in flames with everything you own, at the worst possible time... Depending on how far the gate is from the house, the 312 phone system or the bell would work...

Echo2
08-07-2012, 05:24 PM
I have a couple cut off high pressure cylinders to use for bells....on a cold and clear winter day....4 miles plus.

- - - Updated - - -

I also make the dinner bells like pictured.....they work....about 1/2 mile

Gunfixr
08-07-2012, 10:28 PM
I have one of the pen flares like the military uses, you screw the flare onto the end. Got a handful of flares for it.

ak474u
08-08-2012, 03:27 AM
I have one of the pen flares like the military uses, you screw the flare onto the end. Got a handful of flares for it.

Larue makes a rail mounted pen flare launcher for people running checkpoints to be able to launch them at a vehicle without taking their hands off the rifle... It's a hundred bucks, but it's kinda cool.

rentprop1
08-08-2012, 03:43 AM
Expired flares from my boat have no nauticle use, but possibly a fire starter it the BOL, just as a back up

ladyhk13
08-08-2012, 05:57 AM
The bell and the phone with wire would never make it to us. We are totally landlocked. A flare over our house would probably be the best way to go. No worries about hitting it, it still has a way to go...it would just need to light up the sky in our general area and hope we have our curtains open. Maybe we should plan on installing a sunlight (window in roof?) just for that purpose, hmmm.

Stormfeather
08-08-2012, 09:45 AM
The bell and the phone with wire would never make it to us. We are totally landlocked. A flare over our house would probably be the best way to go. No worries about hitting it, it still has a way to go...it would just need to light up the sky in our general area and hope we have our curtains open. Maybe we should plan on installing a sunlight (window in roof?) just for that purpose, hmmm.

You may be landlocked, but those TA-312's are a excellent system just for your situation, all you do is run the wire from one phone to another. Person on one end picks up the phone, hits the clacker on the phone, and the phone on the other end buzz's. The only thing you are limited by is the amount of speaker wire that you use. Im pretty sure with a little bit of digging around on the interwebz, you can find your self a spool that is easily a mile and a half long. If you have a gate, then there must be a road or driveway to your place right? Simply run it along the treeline, or 10-15 feet off of the side of the road. Since its black wire, its easily hidden amongst the bushes, trees, ect. My buddy has this stuff ran thru the trees around his place to all of his "deer stands" which are located on high vantage points. One other point, if someone is at your gate and they send up a flare to get your attention that they are at the gate, remember, if you can see it, so can anyone else in the area. (Especially people on a high vantage point) Just something to think about. :)

Echo2
08-08-2012, 10:36 AM
They are surplus military field phones.....That is a 6k ft spool....we have 7 of these in use at BOL......easy to set up....and work great.

ladyhk13
08-08-2012, 05:03 PM
The only problem is we have to go through 3 other people's properties in order to get to ours and it's pretty much hunting land and 4 wheelers so unless we took the time to bury the lines (this has some pretty rough country in places) on their land so it doesn't get either ripped up or trip people and risk the chance of them finding it. Not sure we would be willing to go through all that.