PDA

View Full Version : Oak Ridge uranium plant shut after protesters breach 4 fences, reach building

Twitchy
08-03-2012, 06:21 AM
The U.S. government's only facility for handling, processing and storing weapons-grade uranium has been temporarily shut after anti-nuclear activists, including an 82-year-old nun, breached security fences, government officials said on Thursday.

WSI Oak Ridge, the contractor responsible for protecting the facility at Oak Ridge, Tenn., is owned by the international security firm G4S, which was at the center of a dispute over security at the London Olympic Games.

Officials said the facility was shut down on Wednesday at least until next week after three activists cut through perimeter fences to reach the outer wall of a building where highly enriched uranium, a key nuclear bomb component, is stored.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/02/13092159-oak-ridge-uranium-plant-shut-after-protesters-breach-4-fences-reach-building?lite

This affecting any of our Tn ants?

bacpacker
08-03-2012, 10:08 AM
It hasn't affrcted me. But you sshould there stink being raised around here. I don't know all the details yet, but they cut thru 2 or 3 fences and hiked a good distance thru the woods and avoided the sensor network. They were also able to slip around several cameras.
My bet is somebody inside the plant gave them intell for them to get where they did undetected for some period of time. I would bet there will be a few heads roll over this. I'll post more up as i get details.

izzyscout21
08-03-2012, 01:21 PM
There's more to this than meets the eye.

I wish I could say more at this point, but ......................

BP knows the drill. hush hush............

Grumpy Old Man
08-03-2012, 04:29 PM
False Flag?

izzyscout21
08-03-2012, 04:58 PM
I will say this:

It's very curious that this happens as layoffs loom for the security forces there.

eagle326
08-03-2012, 08:02 PM
B.P.
You keep your head on a swivel my friend and that's an ORDER!!! You're much too valuable to lose to something like this if it has bad intentions.

Izzy cover his 6 if possible. Hate to lose a man like B.P. if somebody is acting stupid.

izzyscout21
08-03-2012, 08:13 PM
B.P.
You keep your head on a swivel my friend and that's an ORDER!!! You're much too valuable to lose to something like this if it has bad intentions.

Izzy cover his 6 if possible. Hate to lose a man like B.P. if somebody is acting stupid.

No worries. I have a lot of friends in high places over there..........

Twitchy
08-04-2012, 12:27 AM
No worries. I have a lot of friends in high places over there..........

Wish I had that luxury... I figured you or BP would know more...

bacpacker
08-04-2012, 01:21 AM
The trespassers had their charge's raised from misdemeiner to a felony. Main thing that meant right now was they wouldn't get bail. Which by the way, the folks said they did not want to stay in jail. I really don't think I would either.:)

They were in there long enough to hang some banner, paint graffitte, and throw human blood on the walls. I wonder where that came from? Right now there aren't a lot of rumors swirling about it, but that will change before long I expect.

Here are links to the local news media stories. These are in chronological order.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=228471

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=228776

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=228776

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=228920

BTW, I try to always keep my eyes open. Something bad happens there though, I'll be fallout.

izzyscout21
08-04-2012, 01:48 AM
BTW, I try to always keep my eyes open. Something bad happens there though, I'll be fallout.

just head over to the K-25 site.......I'll arrange safe passage....LOL

bacpacker
08-04-2012, 02:10 AM
Roger that.

ladyhk13
08-04-2012, 02:41 AM
Head south...speed and don't pull over for the cops. We'll be here.

Twitchy
08-04-2012, 02:45 AM
I'll be at Rendezvous point 4 on the way to provide fire support, just in case shit goes down... I'll join up when you arrive!

izzyscout21
08-07-2012, 01:47 PM
had a few conversations with some of my sources on this............good, God, what a mess.
Heads have already began rolling.
The General Manager for WSI-Oak Ridge has been replaced. Others will get replaced or fired in the days to come.
From a security standpoint, this is total failure. Response to the breach were......shall we say.....inadequate or inappropriate.

As I said in a previous post, there's more here than meets the eye.......wish I could elaborate.

Twitchy
08-07-2012, 04:04 PM
had a few conversations with some of my sources on this............good, God, what a mess.
Heads have already began rolling.
The General Manager for WSI-Oak Ridge has been replaced. Others will get replaced or fired in the days to come.
From a security standpoint, this is total failure. Response to the breach were......shall we say.....inadequate or inappropriate.

As I said in a previous post, there's more here than meets the eye.......wish I could elaborate.

Generally speaking, after such a slip up as this heads do roll...

I'm honestly surprised its not a shoot on sight policy if they break through several fences intentionally considering the contents of the building...

izzyscout21
08-08-2012, 12:02 PM
It's not a shoot on sight kind of thing.

It's always situational.

Had they had their hands on actual nuclear material, the SPO's would have smoked them right there. However, no material was possessed. Even though they had breached 4 fences, can you imagine the fallout had they killed 3 geriatric hippies?

Twitchy
08-08-2012, 08:16 PM
It's not a shoot on sight kind of thing.

It's always situational.

Had they had their hands on actual nuclear material, the SPO's would have smoked them right there. However, no material was possessed. Even though they had breached 4 fences, can you imagine the fallout had they killed 3 geriatric hippies?

I guess I see that point... no comment on the second part lol...