PDA

View Full Version : Major solar storm coming?

torchgoddess
08-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Did anyone else read the story on Reuters this morning about the solar storms? I am aware this is not NEW news.. but still an interesting read. It reminds me of a book I just read 'The Pulse'. Is everone ready for this scenario?

bacpacker
08-04-2012, 04:41 PM
In a word. No! If we ever take a direct hit from the zun IMO all bets are off a ross the board. No one knows what all that will affect.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-04-2012, 05:53 PM
I look at it this way, if it happens I guess we'll all find out won't we?? I'm not being a smart ass this time ok? As more and more space junk (satellites) are rocketed in to orbit they are better equipped to handle the the electromagnetic effects of the sun. So some of the comm sats will be up and running. Some of us with Short wave gear that tried to prep for this might have stuff that actually works. Power grids we already know are not equipped to handle such a thing. Some people like "Homey the Clown" that we saw on his video are going to start getting shot & shoot each other (gangs) Yipee!, all those things are going to start happening and we'll all start finding out for real.....................what we are really made of. How hard have you really, I mean really thought about his? Have thought about giving up, have you actually thought about shooting someone? Can you do it? What about to put them out of their misery? What about for execution for the good of the colony? What are you really willing to do to survive? Where are you going to go, what are you going to do, right now at this moment if it goes down? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm? BURST! OK now what?..............................silence........ .....................class is in session.......................Bueler............Bu eler............anyone................Bueler?

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

ladyhk13
08-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Well there is a new series coming out called Revolution I believe. I think that maybe we will be able to see what it will be like should an EMP (or solar flare)hit and civilization has to deal with the aftermath. Maybe it will be somewhat educational and we will have things to talk about after each episode.

Stg1swret
08-04-2012, 06:32 PM
No one is ever truly ready. Can I deal with it if/when it happens, yes. Power grid disappears, and the festivities will begin within 72 hours.

Evolver
08-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Our preps are of a wide verity from extra gas for a generator all the way down to flint and steel to make fire. So basically the only things that we are 100% dependent on food, water and shelter that can be obtained without the help of electricity or electronics. So with that said... Yes we have prepared as much as possible if a large solar flare hits the place that we call earth and for that matter anything els that might happen. :) For us it's kinda became a way of living and not so much preparing for anything in particular but just being more ready if anything does happen.

bacpacker
08-05-2012, 12:23 AM
E that is about all you can do to get ready for that scenario.

Twitchy
08-05-2012, 01:01 AM
A good prep exercise for this event is to take all of your electronic gadgets, leave them at home (bring a cell phone... just in case, but keep it OFF.) and try to survive without any electronic item, down to radios, watches, etc. see where your weaknesses lie in this situation. In relation to other scenarios, this is one of the more likely ones.

Taz Baby
08-05-2012, 02:40 AM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/560929_328733870549637_2010610520_n.jpg

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-05-2012, 04:26 AM
Let's hope we all get to have a clear night, should be a great show. I hope at least I can see it coming before it hits me this time........thanks for the scoop sister.

Be safe..........the night is your friend.

Grumpy Old Man
08-06-2012, 04:36 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s480x480/560929_328733870549637_2010610520_n.jpg

This is the Perseids meteor shower which is an annual event. Best viewing is from 2-4 a.m. IMHO. Been watching this show for 45 years. The peak of the Perseids this year is August 11. The Leonids shower is another great annual event in November. The peak for this year is November 17.

Here are a couple of good sites:

http://www.meteorshowersonline.com/

http://stardate.org/nightsky/meteors