PDA

View Full Version : What cooking vessels do you have that would be suitable for cooking over a open fire?

Echo2
08-08-2012, 08:28 PM
In the event.....methods of cooking are going to change by the nature of the beast.....no power.....or natural gas....will mean a lot of folks will resort to the age old camp fire.

Now most cook ware will survive for a while cooking over open flame.....but a lot of the alloy pots and pans just wont hold up to the to the harshness of outdoor cooking.

The best solution that I know of is cast iron. We have many dutch ovens....large skillets...and even a griddle.

I do have a few of the sandwich presses that are actually very handy little pieces of hardware...they make a great burger....along with a waffle iron.

What do you have in your kitchen arsenal that will make the grade in the event.

izzyscout21
08-08-2012, 08:34 PM
I've got a lot of cast iron stuff from my scouting days.

Also have a couple sets of backpacking pots

Taz Baby
08-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Cast iron is the best think to use for open fire. we have boocoo's of it stored away just for that.

Evolver
08-08-2012, 09:15 PM
75% will be done on our solar oven.

http://www.solartown.com/uploaded_files/images/products/l_3ddbabbecc80218f44851b608fb22331Sun%20Oven%2002. JPG

More here
http://www.shtfready.com/threads/663-Some-Food-From-our-Solar-Oven?highlight=solar+oven

The 25% will be on small open fire.

bacpacker
08-09-2012, 12:18 AM
We have a bunch of various cast iron and are always on the lookout for more, in particular something we don't already have. I found a 12" Wok a while back. The wife uses it on the stove a lot of time. She loves it.

E, that solar cooker is on my list of stuff to build, hopefully sooner rather than later. That will be much easier on the cookware.

Evolver
08-09-2012, 12:37 AM
75% will be done on our solar oven.

http://www.solartown.com/uploaded_files/images/products/l_3ddbabbecc80218f44851b608fb22331Sun%20Oven%2002. JPG

More here
http://www.shtfready.com/threads/663-Some-Food-From-our-Solar-Oven?highlight=solar+oven

The 25% will be on small open fire.

And with a added bonus... less smoke signature. (wink)

JustAPrepper
08-09-2012, 01:41 AM
In addition to the Solar Oven and cookware to go with it we also have some various cast iron skillets and pans. One thing we need is a cast iron Dutch Oven. I had one years ago, passed down from my dad's mother. Perfectly seasoned. Don't ask me what I did with it. It would be too embarrassing and I'm very ashamed.

Echo2
08-09-2012, 01:47 AM
In addition to the Solar Oven and cookware to go with it we also have some various cast iron skillets and pans. One thing we need is a cast iron Dutch Oven. I had one years ago, passed down from my dad's mother. Perfectly seasoned. Don't ask me what I did with it. It would be too embarrassing and I'm very ashamed.

You can't leave it like that....spill it.....my cousin left baked spaghetti in one.....after camp....for about a year.....sauce ate the interior....I still have it....just haven't tried polishing the interior.

JustAPrepper
08-09-2012, 02:06 AM
You can't leave it like that....spill it.....my cousin left baked spaghetti in one.....after camp....for about a year.....sauce ate the interior....I still have it....just haven't tried polishing the interior.

Dang Echo. Alright. If you must know...

It was a monster thing, a huge kettle with a lid. Dad's parent's are from Alabama and they used to have fish fry's every Friday. This was one of the pots they used to hang over the fire to cook fish. When they got "up" in age the fish fry's stopped. During a visit I noticed it in the garage collecting cob webs. I was told I could have it so I took it, not knowing what in the world I would do with it. I was married to a different guy back then and it sat in our garage for "years". When I left and moved out I left the pot behind. I can still see the exact spot in the garage where it sat. Truth be told, it's probably still sitting in that same exact spot knowing my ex. I bet if I called him tomorrow I could go pick it up. It's not like we're on bad terms or anything.

HA! Wouldn't that be a hoot! Hey, how you doing? Haven't spoken to you in years but I bet you still have that cast iron kettle in the garage...can I come by and pick it up later? :cool:

Gunfixr
08-09-2012, 02:18 AM
We have a bunch of cast iron, from my Grandmothers house. Most was already seasoned, except the griddle, but we've long taken care of that.
Got a small skillet, large skillet, dutch oven, griddle, maybe more.
Might get still more.
Got plenty of heavy gauge stainless steel as well.

Don't use any alloy pots. Used to, but they oxidize and it gets in the food and makes it taste weird. Might still be a couple buried down in the corner cabinet, but I'm not sure.

A solar oven would be nice.

ladyhk13
08-09-2012, 04:00 AM
I have one dutch oven (I am hoping that's what it is) and a really good set of stainless steel pots/pans that I'm sure could handle the heat of open flame.

Katrina
08-09-2012, 05:15 AM
Got my cast iron skillet couple of Christmas's ago, am still working on getting a dutch oven. Have set of stainless steel pots and pans, and my MIL's heavy stainless steel tea kettle (from the 50's) got rid of the aluminum set years ago. . As long as I put the grill on the fire I can use the pots and pans. Have a stainless steel stock pot that was my mother's It's still in great condition after all these years.

msomnipotent
08-10-2012, 06:10 AM
My grandmother worked at Goldblatt's and bought me a set of stainless steel pots and pans for Christmas when I was 12 years old. As any 12 year old would rationally say, I calmly asked, "wtF???" and promptly got a smack as the answer. I used them the day I moved out and I still use them daily. They still look good. I use high heat, oven temps, I have cleaned some of them with sand and boiled the others clean. All things that would probably void an Allclad warranty, but I would put them into a fire anytime.

My Lodge pieces are either so old that I don't worry about it or so new that they are (supposedly) pre-seasoned. Some are still in their boxes in the basement. I have a good wok on my amazon wish list, but that will have to wait. We also have the tongs for flipping and nearby branches for smores.

IDTANDY
08-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Cast iron for the most part, Foil packet cooking in coals.

bacpacker
08-10-2012, 12:41 PM
We have a Lodge outlet store down here (across the street from Smoky Mountian Knife Works) that has good sales on occasion. I picked up a 12-14" wok there for 25 bucks. I love it. Haven't used it on a fire yet but have no doubt it will do fine.

Evolver
08-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Years ago I made a Wok out of a old use and discarded plough disc that I found and it worked out very nice.

I welded in (filled) the center square hole and welded on two square handles on the sides that was made from 1/8 steel rod. I wish I still had it to take pics of but I don't. I got the idea from my BIL on a camping trip that we went on and it's his main cooking vessel. It worked out great for big fish fries.

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR46_nFk4JtOteLod5jomWz9fjHknHFN 8KBoK6bF-DArV3eXv1rsg

Kodiak
08-11-2012, 05:30 AM
Cast Iron

rentprop1
08-12-2012, 03:43 AM
many moons ago, my mom would give us all her old pots and pans when we went away to Boy Scout camp, mostly the ones with all the Teflon starting to come off, they would only stand up to 2-3 uses over the super hot open flame, but back then if we didn't burn it it was cooked perfectly......med rare pork chops anyone ....lol

Sniper-T
08-13-2012, 11:01 AM
I have a full set of steel camping pots that have been used in the fire for 25+ years, including my favourite wok, which is pictured in another thread somewhere...

But I also have this little beastie. Something I made about 20 years ago, it is 18" square steel, 3/4" thick. the legs are adjustable from 6" to 11" high. I can either cook directly on it, or use it to support pots. With this, even cheap POS aluminium pots do well. It isn't something that I would want to carry around too far, but for a home base, or BOL, it is a fantastic 'fire-cooking' accessory:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/Pantry/0629121030c-1.jpg

and yeah... it needs a good cleaning, and re-seasoning

Possom
08-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Theres not much you can't cook in a cast iron skillet. We have an assortment of cast iron that we use daily. It cooks better then conventional cookware.

But why not invest in a good wood cook stove for your Bol? They aren't that expensive and they double as a heating stove for winter. When I was growing up my grandmother cooked on a wood cook stove only. Wouldn't even hear of getting an electric or gas stove. It's amazing how much cooking can be done on a wood stove using very little fire wood. The food tastes so much better as well.