PDA

View Full Version : Small amount of cash put away.

LUNCHBOX
02-23-2011, 12:00 AM
This is not a big thing until the power goes out. I keep a couple hundred put away in small bills, $50.00 in $5.00s and $150.00 in $10.00s. This could be used at these little mom and pops stores (I say that cause near me the old couple live upstairs) you would offer $5.00 for a gallon of milk if your family needed it. Of course like me, most of us here should have powdered milk on hand, the milk is just a quick example.

RedJohn
02-23-2011, 12:13 AM
If I may swing out of subject for a second: Powdered Milk? Card box, subject to close humidity? I prefer Condensed Milk in cans.

As far as the cash is concerned, I always keep some in the safe.

gunbuilder69
02-23-2011, 01:54 AM
Most powdered milk comes in pouches in a box,however it must be used once opened,but I have some in the #10 cans from EE.
Cash in the safe is a must as far as I'm concerned,you just never know in these times.

RedJohn
02-23-2011, 09:06 AM
BTW, the cash is in small bills, no bigger than $20's and a few rolls of Quarters.

BuckeyeLeafs
04-21-2011, 07:40 PM
I like to keep around $500 in cash, all in 20's, I also have about 2 rolls worth of quarters.

bacpacker
04-21-2011, 11:03 PM
The wife and I both try and keep $200 or so on hand. I also save all our change and made the decision to start holding $500 in change back along with some cash here at the house. The way the banks pay interest now days, you might as well keep all your cash on hand.

CheriG22
04-24-2011, 06:47 PM
We keep some mad money at home, ones and fives, and have a change jar. Also have some silver, but with the price of silver today, it is tempting to sell and buy some more preps.

And I agree about the low rates from the bank, it's crazy.

Cheri

RedJohn
04-24-2011, 07:49 PM
I still need banks, so there are still some there, but I have cash on hands right now, thinking about replacing it by metals.

bacpacker
04-24-2011, 08:04 PM
RJ I still use the banks as well, credit union's in our case but pretty much the same thing. It's hard to get by without a checkin account either for on-line banking, bill pay, whatever. I just think it prudent to have plenty on hand or stashed at home for emergencies, another banking holiday, or whatever may come.
When we travel I tend to use my debit account for fuel, food, lodging, whatever. That said, we never take off without a decent amount of cash on hand, just for emergencies.

jmrdrgz
06-12-2011, 08:53 PM
I still need banks, so there are still some there, but I have cash on hands right now, thinking about replacing it by metals.

That's not a bad idea. Just don't replace it all with metals.

Have you thought about investing in other things like storable foods, ammo, fuel, generators, camping essentials or anything else you think you might need in your stuation.

SOME of these things will go up in value as well do to inflation and demand. You might not be able to trade metals for food or electric power in a shtf situation, but your food and power will be worth a lot more then it is today.

faster
10-16-2011, 09:51 PM
cans/fluid are bulky, subject to leakage. Put the powdered milk inside metal cans, and it will last a long, long time. The problem is, don't use much of it until shtf, cause I read it causes real problems with fat next to your heart. .22 lr ammo, bought in bulk at Wally's, 550 rds at a time, is a great stash of value. Just don't buy the Remingtons! Get the federal instead,.

Stormfeather
10-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Faster, can you explain why the Remingtons are better than the Federals? Im seeing alot of opinion, but not alot of facts to support it and would like to know why.

The Stig
10-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Faster, can you explain why the Remingtons are better than the Federals? Im seeing alot of opinion, but not alot of facts to support it and would like to know why.

While I appreciate the question and push for accuracy/honesty, the topic here is putting a small amount of cash aside for emergencies, not ammo.

If you'd like to create a different thread in weapons, and can tie it into prepping (instead of being a pissing match of ammo mfgrs) by all means.....

Sniper-T
10-17-2011, 09:20 PM
I always have some cash at home, as well as some on me. If I get stuck away from home, I want enough cash to get home!

izzyscout21
10-18-2011, 12:30 AM
I try to have some cash put away, but all too often it ends up being Lunchbox's lunch money.

ladyhk13
10-18-2011, 02:22 AM
We throw coins and extra bills into a container which usually pays for our vacation every year. One of the banks we use has a good deal on checking accounts...it pays 1.55 percent interest now. When we opened it a couple of years ago it was paying 4% but it has slowly gone down. But heck, still better than most. We probably should have more on hand though...which we did at one time but then we took a vacation to Puerto Rico and spent it all...guess we have to really start over.

ncmtnman
10-19-2011, 09:22 AM
I use to keep around $3k in my safe.After i got sick and now disabled its long gone and i barely make it check to check now.I save but when it gets around $500 something always comes up and i start over! I need to find a way like a hobby to make some quick $$$ Any ideas?

WvBoy
10-19-2011, 11:57 PM
I keep all my change in small plastic gum containers, one at work full, one in the truck, and a large flower type vase in the house for when the small containers overflow. I never feel that I have enough cash but I usually ask for small bills when I go to the bank.

Stormfeather
10-20-2011, 06:05 AM
While I appreciate the question and push for accuracy/honesty, the topic here is putting a small amount of cash aside for emergencies, not ammo.

If you'd like to create a different thread in weapons, and can tie it into prepping (instead of being a pissing match of ammo mfgrs) by all means.....

My bad. . . lost all focus there for a second!

OP, I keep a 5 gallon water jug that I fill everyday with my spare change, end of the year, I usually buy the kids XMAS gifts with it, and any left over goes to the next years goal of filling it up. You would be surprised how much you can accumulate over the space of a year. But other than that, I have a few hundred in the safe kept for emergencies.

realist
10-22-2011, 01:55 PM
I used to put all my spare change in jar and then when it was full we would put them in rolls. Over the past year I have been useing a debt card and I find the jars don't fill up any more. I still have cash on hand but just don't use it as much. I always keep a couple of months expenses on hand just for emergencies.

hank2222
10-25-2011, 07:21 PM
I do keep a money in a round tin coffee can in the following amount's of $100.oo dollar amount's in 1's & 5's & 10's & 20's & 50's & 100's bills & diff rolls of quaters and 1.oo dollar coins to use as it need .

sidewinder
10-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Having greenbacks put away is a good idea...but I worry that the dollar could be devalued and become worthless. So saving other things of value won't hurt.

Katrina
02-13-2012, 09:58 PM
What I would like to know is how much cash should I keep on hand? I see 200,300, 1000? I know it should be in small bills and coins. right now I have about 500 in bills and coin put away. Where should I hide it , so far I think it's hidden fairly well.

piranha2
02-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Do you have a lamp that has a hollow riser? Have you seen the wall safe that goes in the wall and the cover is an electrical receptacle? These would work.

This site has some stuff:

http://www.misdefenseproducts.com/Hiding-Places-for-Valuables-p-1-c-272.html

ladyhk13
02-14-2012, 03:53 AM
We keep a certain amount in 100's and then we have a really big pretzel jug that we throw all of our change and smaller bills left over in our wallets whenever we think about it and once a year we take that money (jug money only) and put it all together and use it for our vacation. But I think since we bought the property we won't go out to Reno this year so that money will get thrown to stuff for the improvements.

izzyscout21
02-14-2012, 04:07 AM
I cant keep money on hand to save my life. Something always omes up

ladyhk13
02-14-2012, 04:27 AM
Yeah but you have little ones...no one with kids can EVER save money! Mine is grown up and almost ready to graduate college...last semester YAHOO!!! No more tuition!!! Now I'll really be able to put some money back!

Sniper-T
02-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Get them to keep the money around Izzy. buy them each a secure type of piggy bank, and whenever you have some spare change, drop it in there for them. Plus any extra 'chores' that they might do, or their allowance, has a place to go. If SHTF, I'm sure they wouldn't mind donating to help the family, and if SdoesntHTF, they're learning to save, and have some of their own money if they wan't to buy something.

Sniper-T
02-14-2012, 10:04 AM
I try to keep enough cash on hand to cover whatever circumstance might warrant emergency cash.

If my septic craps out (pun intended) and I need to call someone in at 0200 on a Sunday of a long weekend. I pay by cash.
Or my furnace, or fridge...

If my wife hits the ditch, and someone pulls her out, she has some cash to give them.

So yeah, I keep a fair amount, mostly in smaller bills. I also have my change collection At the end of each week, I toss my pocket change into a bucket. when the bucket is full, I'll go through it and sort it, seperate anything worthwhile, and pack the rest away. I've been saving for 5 years now, and am well over 1/2 way to buying a .50 BMG. :)

I cannot justify the expence any other way, but if it comes by nickels and dimes... I'm a happy guy!

bacpacker
02-15-2012, 12:07 AM
We keep a few hundred around in various bills for emergencies, espically when traveling. We also save all out change and either put i on vacation or on a bill we need to knock out.

mitunnelrat
02-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Katrina, the number I'm eventually shooting for is $1,000 on hand.

I got that from Dave Ramsey's book "Financial Peace." Its his recommendation to keep that amount as an emergency fund while you pay your debts off, then increasing the emergency fund to be able to cover a full 3 months of bills. I've heard of the 3 month mark from numerous other sources too, including a company I used to be a rep for. Its recommended that overall amount be placed in a money market account, but I figure its a good idea to keep the grand available in cash. I'm going to split it and keep about $200 in my car for roadside emergencies. I've already learned firsthand how expensive towing can get.

ladyhk13
02-21-2012, 06:46 AM
That is true MTR and once you get out of debt or are able to add more to your emergency fund I would continue adding cash to build up to even 6 months if possible considering the uncertainty of the next couple of years. Dave Ramsey rocks...listen to him almost every day. Him and Phil Valentine are awesome.

Onestep
02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Dave's recommendation of $1000 is the minimum emergency fund you should have. He goes further in his steps to increase it to 3-6 months of "living expenses" eventually (mainly to cover income loss due to loosing a job). Listen to him daily and have read his book.

As for the "cash" at home, I try to keep in the safe about $700 total.
$50 in $1's
$150 in $5's
$200 in $10's
$300 in $20's
I also have a supply of loose coins in a coffee can as well.

If power goes out, this will get you thru a pretty good spell.
Also is nice to have on hand in case a must have "deal" comes along.

We always keep $100 in cash on our persons for emergencies.

Katrina
02-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys and gals,
This has been helpful. I'll be increasing the COH. mtr, good idea on cash in car, didn't think of that as we have roadside service but if the tow person don't take it or credit cards,(my pop had that happen to him once), I'd be sol.

mitunnelrat
02-23-2012, 07:08 PM
I was going largely off of memory on the living expenses amount, but I'm not surprised that recommendation extends to 6 months. That would make sense, I've been laid off for tha long before. I also think its a good idea to have cash in your pocket. I figured the car was close enough to that for me.

mitunnelrat
02-23-2012, 07:23 PM
And that's why we're here, Katrina. Always glad to be of help