PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to prep this week?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

ElevenBravo
07-13-2015, 11:41 PM
Kick ass storm headed our way... right now! You peckers in TN will need to batten down the hatches and put tarps over your powder kegs too...

Already test ran the genny, got the cords, splitters and lights ready. Calling for heavy rain, 60mph wind (gust?) and golf ball hail.. to the west were already seeing black clouds.

Warwagon: No, I cannot literally GIVE it away, but bring 1500 and its yours!

EB

bacpacker
07-14-2015, 12:17 AM
Just yankin your chain EB.

We are expecting storms overnight, but nothing too serious. I think it's mostly gonna stay up in Kentucky and move your way. Stay safe.

ElevenBravo
07-14-2015, 01:05 AM
1st wave of storm broke up before it hit, some rain and lightning but nothing like anticipated, second wave to hit about 2am, have to wait and see.

You might be kidding, but Im not... 1500 takes her home! HA HA! But seriously,I knew you were just yankin my chain bro.

I was playing ball with the dog and guess what (no, not monkey butt), I hit the new TV with the ball and shattered the LCD. It was "only" $180 Emerson, but none the less, the wife never did smile about it... Guess what daddy is buying as soon as I sell the Blazer?!?! Did I mention we only had it for 5 weeks?

EB

Domeguy
07-14-2015, 03:44 AM
Looks like it's gonna be straight Jack Daiiels's tonight, no rain water in it!

bacpacker
07-14-2015, 11:42 AM
No rain here overnight.
Ouch on the LCD

realist
07-14-2015, 04:24 PM
Excavated out around my propane tank to pour a larger pad and install tie downs for earthquake protection.

oif0709
07-17-2015, 12:30 AM
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150710_205826.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150710_205826.jpg.html)
I replaced my 5.11 covrt edc/ghb with something I liked a bit more. A kifaru urban zippy. American made too notch stuff. So in other words. ....not always easy on the wallet. I got their pullouts which I've posted in an earlier part of this thread but got the mandrake 500D ones. It doubles ad my work backpack so I like to keep my contents not visible. All the basics are in it. A nice neutral color. Not really military looking, and plenty of organization. The pouch and frame sheet are add ons.
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150710_201325.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150710_201325.jpg.html)
it comes with a chamber pocket inside, 3 mesh pockets which are very durable, large enough to fit a large camelbak eddy bottle.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150711_160340.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150711_160340.jpg.html)
http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150711_160505.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150711_160505.jpg.html)
the organizer pocket is nice and slim, I still have some things to add to the pack but noting critical should I need the pack to get home, it's got everything I need to stay out a night or two. It doubles as my work bag so nothing suspicious about it. I always carry a bag. I did have a ghb in the car but I wanted something more handy.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu147/catalina421/Mobile%20Uploads/20150711_160226.jpg (http://s642.photobucket.com/user/catalina421/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150711_160226.jpg.html)
one of the pullouts containing some food set in a canteen cup and stove, fire starter is in a side pocket.
I'm sure ghb contents has been beat to death in here but I'll list most of my items. My top shelf gear is in my sustainment pack I've shared earlier.
For water I have my camelbak bottle with a small filter attached to the tube, and my steripen. For fire I have a farrow rod and I use the back of a knife to rain hell down onto some tinder. I have a fire cube, some gel stuff and a trusty bic.
for food the canteen cup and stove I need to field still but I have some canned veggies and fish.
A spool tool with a bunch of 550 cord is in there to help with shelter. A flashlight and spare batteries. Ear pro and some other small items. And of course a trauma aid kit.
The pack has a few pieces of velcro to secure loose straps but they're not sewn on like camelbak packs and Eberlestock does.

ElevenBravo
07-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Like the bag, I think Kif makes top shelf stuff! Hill People too...

EB

Katrina
07-18-2015, 06:31 AM
didn't do anything Went west for Family reunion. Had a blast Son2's wife and kids (2 and 4) were just awesome on the flight, their first plane ride. Flight was great but on the way home it was delayed so we spent almost 6 hours in airport. Did talk briefly with sib that's prepping but couldn't talk much as rest of family was there and too many things were happening. Brother came in from Macau for vacation. China decided that his position has been "eliminated, they're cutting back on number of foriegners there. So he's stateside end of August and looking for work.We did find out my niece , brother 2's youngest is getting married in Feb, so IF she remembers to invite us , we'll be going back for wedding. Anybody know how cold it is in Las Vegas in February?

bacpacker
07-19-2015, 01:42 AM
The last few weeks I've been trying to find metal to to build my stock. Old files, railroad spikes, horseshoes, broken crowbars, punches, chisels all should work from small stuff. I've also found some more tongs and hammers for certain use.

Today I went and picked up a couple of 300 gallon water totes. Thank You IZZY! You rock

realist
07-19-2015, 04:18 AM
Finished the last class of my EMT update.

Signed up for a state approved LE rifle instructor course.

Twitchy
07-19-2015, 06:08 PM
Finished the last class of my EMT update.

Signed up for a state approved LE rifle instructor course.

Congrats on the EMT man!

---

For me, I've recently been working on getting finances in order and what not... Working constantly on knowledge as well as window shopping for gear since I am in the process of moving to a new area...

ElevenBravo
07-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Did a bunch of work outside, which is PT in the blistering heat (for SWVA anyway), HI is about 100deg.

Ordered some QD back plates for our AR, need to order some QD sling mounts, Ill take pictures of that crap later.

Did a chrono on my Stoger X10 .22 airgun, with lead its only running 660fps, I calculate it out to be 13ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle, still makes a can jump in the air so I reckon thats enough for little critters... Its a bit off from the 800fps they "advertise", its cool to have a chrono!

Been doing some planning on optix and BUIS, Primary Arms has a AA unit that runs for 7K hours on one battery, I think Ill get two of them and two risers to co-witness the irons, and
some type of rear sight...

I still want the Adams Arms gas piston kit...

A lot of stuff I want will have to come a little at a time, never did sell the War Wagon, even after 3 rounds on egay. Got some flyers passed out, Ill likely just tag it and insure it and just f'in put it back on the road WTH. I can drive the Heep during the summer since it has AC, and the Zombie Tank during cooler months, it has awesome heat. I need tires on the Wagon though...

EB

jamesneuen
07-19-2015, 09:50 PM
Since my military longevity is in question at the moment I am holding off on buying anything really and am focusing on saving till i find out what is going to happen. Dealing with a few personal issues from all that junk as well but there's not much choice.

On the other hand I have been printing a ton of books to read, Got some stuff about gardening, bee keeping, food preservation techniques, and some dystopian stories just for fun. Gotta love free.

ElevenBravo
07-19-2015, 10:04 PM
J, I need to send you a DVD or two of PDFs I have, some may be duplicates but a lot of info there. Need to send you some videos I have too...

Note to all.. With the racial tension, and the ISIS threat, Id urge you to get an AR (Or AK if you prefer), several mags and a few cans of ammo... WHILE YOU CAN. I got a feeling in my bonez that theres bad mojo on the horizon...

EB

robsdak
07-20-2015, 02:46 PM
same ol' thing i always do. just preparing for the 'unknown'. more food stores, looking at adding a couple 270 gal totes for water. we are dickering on price. he wants too much for them, i think. working on a guy that wants to trade 1200 rds of .22 for a firearm. he thinks he's sitting on a 'gold mine' LOL .22 is coming back around down here. i picked up some at Gander Mountain in Pensacola the other week.

jamesneuen
07-20-2015, 09:36 PM
For those of you still looking for good prices on ammo I recommend gunbot and ammoseek. They are two great websites for finding it and best of all it sorts by price per round!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Also who was it that was looking for a copy of "What every BODY is saying" ?

realist
07-23-2015, 04:02 AM
Spent Monday shooting with my daughter. She got to shoot my 308 for the first time. I had to check my hunting loads and then let her shoot. She is a good shot with most of my other rifles. 100 yards is no problem. It was her first time shoot at distances over 100 yards, 150 yard metal plate was easy. Once we got her sighted in and on target she was able to make a couple of head shots at 300 yards. The biggest problem was the mirage Considering it was my hunting rifle and not my heavy barrel I was impressed. I was looking at having her shoot the 243 but she said she likes the 308 and wants to shoot distance. We then finished it off with some handgun shooting with the M&P 9. I would put her up against most of the kids in my academy class.

Last night I went and watched my daughter when she went to her Muay Thai (kick boxing) class. It was three hours of none stop workout. She had been doing it for five years and is pretty good. She had to take off for going away from college but picked it back up. Now she wants to do a ground fighting class. So we started shopping for a class like the Gracie jiu jitsu. Since there is nothing like her Muay Thai class around her school I think a jiu jitsu class would be good.

Today we had an advance officer class in handgun and then a ground fighting class. I'm getting too old for this stuff, I'm sore. Saturday we will be doing it again but I will be teaching.

This has been a busy week......

ElevenBravo
07-23-2015, 10:50 PM
Realist has got it going on! I liked reading about y'allls progress!

EB

helomech
07-24-2015, 01:18 AM
Spent 10 hours a day for the last 2 days and another 10 hours tomorrow at karate summer camp. Did a lot of bow, sai, nunchuka, and kama training. I really like the sai, cool weapon. We also did some knife fighting, and sparing. 10 hours a day is a long time to be fighting.

ElevenBravo
07-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Helo, I urge you to get a little BJJ or Judo under your belt too... so to speak. I *loved* Judo, I used many of the moves when I worked corrections and it is highly effective! Since you cant strike a detainee, you had to have a tool in your toolbox to keep from getting your ass kicked... well, Judo and lots of weight lifting worked well for me! 0-;

EB

helomech
07-25-2015, 03:57 AM
Helo, I urge you to get a little BJJ or Judo under your belt too... so to speak. I *loved* Judo, I used many of the moves when I worked corrections and it is highly effective! Since you cant strike a detainee, you had to have a tool in your toolbox to keep from getting your ass kicked... well, Judo and lots of weight lifting worked well for me! 0-;

EB

We do lots of different training. Ever heard of Haganah? Our sensei believes in teaching all apsects of self defense and fighting. We take Shorin Ryu, mixed with haganah. He also does lots of ground stuff. He has been teaching for 40 years and has many black belts.

ElevenBravo
07-25-2015, 06:02 PM
Shot Limited class in USPSA (so I could max my mags out, with the idea of making it more realistic... mags would be carry count), I sucked... taking last month off (had to work) hurt me, and shooting against a Grand Master made my score look like peanuts!

In the end, any trigger time is good trigger time!

EB

ElevenBravo
07-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Working on video now, maybe ready tomorrow... after looking at my video, Im embarrassed. WTF... Its been 60 daze since I shot, I *should* be embarrassed!! I should shoot more often, been short on dime to get boolits so I could...

Stand by for video...

BTW, *still* have not sold the WarPig! Maybe I do need to put it on clist.. Ill end up trying that..

EB

ElevenBravo
07-26-2015, 01:54 AM
I sucked, but had fun doing it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y94Qk2OShbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y94Qk2OShbs

Im the fat SOB in the gree shirt with the crossed guns & skull w/boonie cap (Big Boyz Guns shirt, were we bought our ARs)

EB

ak474u
07-26-2015, 03:28 PM
7 more jars of blackberry jam this morning.

realist
07-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Well I'm packing up and heading for the hills for a couple of days. Taking a tractor up to clear the roads at the property and then also to recover a bunch of wood I cut last summer. I have a dozer coming in next week so I can cut new roads and firebreaks.

ElevenBravo
07-28-2015, 12:02 AM
I made a cool picture with Photoshop...
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11745434_417752645077299_5741306086085875046_n.jpg ?oh=87a08adcff81cf16b1db165653f8d1c3&oe=565166DC

Im getting closer to my load data documentation project being in full swing... Working with FDF files for PDF templates, and will be writing a VB program to fill it all in, then a batch program to create flattened PDFs from the data in the FDF files, gonna be great!! (The programmer nerd in me jumped out, sorry) The short of it is, more load data PDFs are about to be released.

EB

realist
07-28-2015, 10:06 PM
Finished my tractor work at the ranch. I have an area I get shale from on the property so I was about to gravel the areas which would wash out during the winter rains. Covered the culvert crossing the creek with about six inches of new shale. Put a bunch of rock at the out flow of the culvert to protect the creek bank from erosion. I also collected the 1 1/2 cords of wood I cut. I have to cut a bunch more wood for next year.

I finalized the rental for the dozer next week. You know when you deal with one company on a routine basis you can sometimes get good discounts. I talked with the guy and he going to knock off 15% and if I get him a rider from my insurance company I don't have to take the mandatory insurance which is a savings of another 12% which is a total reduction of $135. I just might be able to afford another day of rental. The biggest expense and it is a fixed cost is the $500 delivery and pickup fee.

Socalman
07-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Added another 5 gallon tank of propane and another 7 gallons of water storage. I will be able to cook another two weeks and have water for another 3 - 4 days.

Harvested some veggies from the garden. Our drought in So. Calif has really hurt our growing this year.

ElevenBravo
07-29-2015, 08:47 PM
I will slam on the brakes when I see a throw-a-way grill on the street curb that still has an LPG tank on it! Harvesting, thats what I call it!

Willie51
07-31-2015, 12:41 AM
Well, I finally purchased our BO land just north of us about 35 miles. Now I need to figure out what I'm gonna do with it and how we want to set it up. Thinking about a simple 2 BR cabin. Also, looking at container homes online. It's backs up to thousands of acres that will be farm land for many many years to come....like forever. We're surrounded by Mormon owned cattle and farm land.

Also, rotated some stock from the medium term pantry and gave to the church.

Picked up some more boxed milk for storage.

ElevenBravo
07-31-2015, 12:53 AM
Whats the specs on the BOL? How many acres? Stream, well? Flat, hilly? Poxt a few pix, Ill try to find it on Google sat view... just kidding. HA HA!

EB

Willie51
07-31-2015, 01:10 AM
Whats the specs on the BOL? How many acres? Stream, well? Flat, hilly? Poxt a few pix, Ill try to find it on Google sat view... just kidding. HA HA!

EB

It's only 10 acres, is flat and almost square, but very secluded and is surrounding by several other 10 acres tracts on each side. On the rear it backs up to several miles of Mormon cattle land that is undeveloped. I sold another 40 acre tract down the road as it was not as secluded as this one and only 15 miles north of the Gulf. The folks in the area are like minded as we are. It has a small spring on it, so I have already lined up a friend to bring in his equipment to build a small 1 acre pond by some cypress trees and I will stock this pond with fish for sure. The location is good and has a river and some nice lakes nearby. We have deer, turkey, squirrels and birds all around us and crossing the land.

I plan on this place being our hurricane BOL as well because our primary residence is near the Gulf of Mexico, so that's why I'm looking at the container homes to consider.

jamesneuen
07-31-2015, 01:32 AM
Willie, if it has a spring you might look into the gpm it can produce and think about using hydro power......

I hope I can find a property that has one when I look into buying

Willie51
07-31-2015, 01:42 AM
Willie, if it has a spring you might look into the gpm it can produce and think about using hydro power......

I hope I can find a property that has one when I look into buying

James, thanks. We plan on in the next couple of weeks when my friend gets there with his track hoe, to cut a path to where the creek is. Right now, it too thick in that area to walk. Then I'll know what the volume is.

jamesneuen
07-31-2015, 01:46 AM
Sounds like a start! I was reading about how they do it on a "mother earth" website. The process is pretty neat but really labor intensive.

oif0709
08-03-2015, 09:57 PM
I just trained some with the carbine and pistol yesterday. Rapid and accurate fire. Offhand shooting, always fun.

ElevenBravo
08-03-2015, 10:48 PM
Willie, your plot sounds f'n sweet bro! I envy you! Ger 'er done, a shelter, a shitter hole and a source of water and your set bro!

EB

Socalman
08-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Yesterday I emptied my water supply containers (8 months old) and used the water on the garden, then refilled them with fresh water and chlorine at 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons. I also added 2.5 gallons of gasoline to storage. I also did a little rotation of the canned goods.

ElevenBravo
08-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Socal, your concentration sounds a bit strong... I think you want *5 drops* per 5 gallons of water.. Last time I mixed a batch that strong, I had to use some of it to shower with and it was so harsh it made my skin itch later in the day, non stop.

If Im not mistaken I went to 5 drops for 5 gallons and have had zero problems... water is stored in cool & no direct sun (no UV).

EB

Socalman
08-09-2015, 01:16 AM
Socal, your concentration sounds a bit strong... I think you want *5 drops* per 5 gallons of water.. Last time I mixed a batch that strong, I had to use some of it to shower with and it was so harsh it made my skin itch later in the day, non stop.

If Im not mistaken I went to 5 drops for 5 gallons and have had zero problems... water is stored in cool & no direct sun (no UV).

EB

Thanks EB, I will double check some info I got from the State of Kalifornia. I have been using a 1/4 teaspoon of chlorine per gallon of water, thus my 1 teaspoon for 5 gallons.

ElevenBravo
08-09-2015, 01:35 AM
1/4 per gal is strong IMHO... Over strong. That sounds like a concentration for silty water...

Ill have to dig around to find my chart but yeah, if you can still taste and smell it its strong. If there is hardly a scent and you cannot taste it, its about right for long term storage.

Remember, tap water is ALREADY chlorinated... (unless of course yours is well water)

EB

AlphaTea
08-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Woohoo! Bought a G29 slide (and some ammo) for my G30sf
10mm baby!

ElevenBravo
08-10-2015, 01:03 AM
Put my SSTL tumbling media to good use, cleaned up 3 or 400 rnds of 223, cleaned up a bunch of 45, 40 and 9. Putting them in plastic bags for future use.

EB

realist
08-10-2015, 03:51 PM
Picking up a M&P today and have another CORE on order. Loaded some 308 for hunting after finely arriving at a load for my rifle, now I just have a bunch more to put together.

Socalman
08-10-2015, 11:09 PM
Put my SSTL tumbling media to good use, cleaned up 3 or 400 rnds of 223, cleaned up a bunch of 45, 40 and 9. Putting them in plastic bags for future use.

EB

DO NOT TRY TO USE THEM until you have put a primer, powder and bullet in 'em!

ElevenBravo
08-10-2015, 11:43 PM
I cant just say PEW PEW PEW??

http://i.imgur.com/uQg4I.jpg?fb

Real, which M&P did you get? Was at the LGS last night and drooled over a FS 45... There is lay a way... and I really really really miss 45....

EB

realist
08-11-2015, 01:40 AM
EB all my M&Ps are in 9 mm. I have a bunch of 1911's for the 45. The M&P I got was a 4.25 inch full size. This will make number three which also goes along with the compact. My daughter likes the full size over the compact, that is why I got this one. She has micro hands and can handle it so that i what we went with. I originally figured she would like the compact. I do have a couple of Shields but she still likes the full size M&P. The CORE will go to my son who has taken up shooting and will use it for competition. I also got in a couple of G-code holsters which will complement the others. I also ordered a Brokos belt for my daughter and I. We already have tacos to go with them so it will finish out our load out.

ElevenBravo
08-11-2015, 03:40 AM
Sweet! Lil'Bravo and I run the full size 40, fits our hands and is a straight shooter! Love the G Code stuff, hope to get some of there gear, I think you made a good choice with them!!

EB

realist
08-11-2015, 11:53 AM
Regarding the G-Code gear it takes a while to get it but they do not keep stuff in stock, it is made to order. Times are about 30 to 45 days so if you do want it plan a head. I like the way I can interchange holsters without having to change the rest of the gear just push a button and the holster can be removed from the belt or vest and a different one put on depending upon weapon.

The garden is going full steam with squash. We have a white almost star like squash. My wife it on squash probation. She planted four of these along with four zucchini plants so we now have enough squash to feed an army. The soil is good so the plants are huge. It is kinda like and Easter egg hunt each day. If we miss one then by the time we find it the thing has ground to the size of a Frisbee. Anybody got any good recipes???

This weekend we are suppose to get a hot spell so I am hoping it will help out the tomatoes, the plants are full. We are hoping for a good crop since we have not had enough tomatoes in four years to can.

Sniper-T
08-11-2015, 01:58 PM
never heard of, nor seen star squash around here. They look interesting. Looking forward to seeing some recipes!

ElevenBravo
08-11-2015, 09:39 PM
Cover squash with flour, fry in Crisco with onions. Get a bib.

EB

Socalman
08-12-2015, 02:17 PM
The M & P 9 is a sweet firearm. My son got one, 4.25" and it shoots nice and straight. I wanted to get one but did not have the $$ before it fell off the California Dept. of Justice "Approved" list on January 1.

Kalifornia is slowly moving to ban guns by use of the approved list. Essentially a manufacturer must submit 3 guns for testing to make sure they are safe and pay a ransom, I mean fee, in order to be sold in this once great state. However, no new guns may be added unless they do the micro-stamping, which is a non-proven, faulty technology. Guns currently on the list can continue to pay the ransom but if ANY changes are made in a model it is considered a NEW model, i.e. change some screws from blade to Philips head and it is a new model.

Kesephist
08-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Like the gangbangers give a hang about microstamping or approved lists. Bet you can't wait for Six Californias to pass.

ElevenBravo
08-12-2015, 09:55 PM
I got the 40 so I can later get the 9mm SL conversion barrel... Its cheaper than buying two guns!

Anywho, I put my Mouse Whisperer hat on...

https://www.google.com/search?q=bucket+mouse+trap&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I had a place in the basement that needed to be fixed, never ever had a mouse problem.. A month ago I discovered one.. bought some Dcon spinny twister type mouse traps... and they never caught a thing! The wife woke me out of a sleep to tell me the mouse was in the kitchen looking at her...

Out of disgust, I built the mouse bucket trap... this shit has GOT to end, and Ill even resort to making one of those corny traps that Im sure will not work!

Thusly I am fully awake so I lay in bed with light on low and read a few hours... Anticipation rose me and DANG! I caught a mouse! Took him to the back of the yard, let him free and "re-arm" the end of the stick with a very small sampling of what was on the wheel (peanut butter and enough to kill for!).

Just prior to leaving for work this morning, I check the bucket... I was suspecting little buddy had a friend so I checked it out. The PB on the end of the stick is gone, but no mouse! DANG! Theres another, but this one is too smart for the trap!

I just got home a bit ago and sure enough, DANG! The lure of PB on a wheel was just TOOO much, another cute critter caught and freed!

I dont think there are any more, but Ill continue to set the trap until it goes unsucessful for a few daze, and yes.. the little guy's freedom tunnel was fixed, with concrete.

The Mouse Whisperer

Sniper-T
08-13-2015, 11:57 AM
What a kind hearted soul! I put 3 inches of water in my bucket and then release the remains via a toilet bowl swirlee.

realist
08-14-2015, 04:32 AM
YOU LET HIM GO?????????????? Why???? Where is the cat? Ok so I am heartless, but I don't like mice or rats.....gophers too.

ElevenBravo
08-14-2015, 09:53 PM
Im feeding the black snakes, relax...

Daughter and wife are allergic to cats... AHHHHGGG!

Mouse count to date: 4

Ill keep going until they are eliminated!!! Arrrr!

EB

Katrina
08-19-2015, 05:17 AM
EB
Can loan you my Zephyr She's caught two so far. Woke me up at 5:30 to show me what she'd done... trouble is she wanted me to "fix" it
Just so you know she's a bit over weight and can't even hop on the couch So we've had to put both cats on a diet.LOL

ElevenBravo
08-19-2015, 10:05 PM
Damn Kat, you let your cat go for too long... that mouse diet will help out though... No more food from a bag or can from humanoids... go catch your dinner! HA HA!

EB

Katrina
08-20-2015, 12:14 AM
EB
You funny, funny man. They are healthy if a bit overweight so Zephyr catching the mouse was great. Miss Chloe usually gets all the mice in the house and doesn't share.

ElevenBravo
08-20-2015, 02:21 AM
Cats are cool, wish I had one... purring while making bread is a satisfying feedback! Plus the whole mouser thing, thats a bonus.

In the many years we lived here, NEVER EVER had mice inside. Wish I had a picture of the hole I patched up, it looked like it could have been used as a pest super hiway! HA HA!

EB

Katrina
08-20-2015, 02:55 AM
Well ya never know maybe they are there but are ninja mice, silent but deadly BWAAAHAA
Sorry about the hijack.

Domeguy
08-20-2015, 08:01 AM
I curious about something. We have 4 cats, so we don't have a "mouse problem", but we do get a fair amount of small field mice in the home. I know this because we have a pest control man come every month to spray mostly for spiders, but all bugs. We live out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by woods. We don't get many small bugs, but do get a lot of spiders, but also small field mice. We do see the occasional one with a suacide wish, but aside from a nest of two in the garage, there are no signs in the house. No food eaten, no droppings anywhere, but every month, under the stove, the poison the exterminator leaves is ravenously eaten. He has tried some under the house with no results. He tells me it's a 100 % death sentence when eaten by them, but they seem to come from miles, just to eat the poison under my kitchen stove. I can't hear them, but the cats sit in front of the stove, listening to them. Never see or smell the dead ones. Maybe is a mouse gang inisheation kind of thing?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/gantsum/aa86b0e87df4f7fd9cae323b372d846b_zpsfj64f2b9.jpg

jamesneuen
08-20-2015, 11:32 AM
The poison they eat dehydrates their bodies when they die so they don't smell. They will come from miles to eat the poison only if there's nothing else for them to eat.

Socalman
08-21-2015, 11:56 PM
The poison they eat dehydrates their bodies when they die so they don't smell. They will come from miles to eat the poison only if there's nothing else for them to eat.

MOST of that type of poison contains the active ingredient called Warfarin, aka Coumadin. It is commonly prescribed as a blood thinner for people who have had blood clots or some heart problems. I know, I was on it for about 5 months in 2010. What it does to the rodents is cause them to bleed to death internally.

Katrina
08-29-2015, 04:09 PM
James only if they don't die under your drier. We had one die under the dryer in basement PHEWEE it stunk. We couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from so DH moved dryer and found the desiccated body of a mouse. I think it took two gallons of bleach to get the smell outta there, LOL

ak474u
08-29-2015, 06:38 PM
Planted broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, lettuce, spinach, radishes, baby onions today.

bacpacker
08-30-2015, 02:09 AM
I planted some carrots and beets in trays and they have came up enough that they are about ready to transplant. Today, we dug our taters and the rest of our onions. Very disappointing results. We only got about a half bushel of taters. I was hoping for at least 1-2 bushels. But after the attack of tater bugs, I am not surprised. The onions gave about a bushel total this year, not great, but they will do us for a while. I still have some leeks left to harvest along with a few tomatos.
The wife has put up around 40 jars of tomatos and several of Chutney.

ak474u
08-30-2015, 02:34 AM
I planted some carrots and beets in trays and they have came up enough that they are about ready to transplant. Today, we dug our taters and the rest of our onions. Very disappointing results. We only got about a half bushel of taters. I was hoping for at least 1-2 bushels. But after the attack of tater bugs, I am not surprised. The onions gave about a bushel total this year, not great, but they will do us for a while. I still have some leeks left to harvest along with a few tomatos.
The wife has put up around 40 jars of tomatos and several of Chutney.

You could fit our tomato production to date into a large mixing bowl, and we have 61 plants this year. I'm hoping everything produces late so we at least get something. On a more positive note, our pears are about ready, and they look great. I also have a TON of melons and cantaloupe, and honeydew making right now. Had to give them away last year, and we've got 10 times the vines we had last year.

Sniper-T
09-03-2015, 05:05 PM
I organized another group buy of shotgun shells so I could top off my stores for cheap!

AlphaTea
09-03-2015, 06:10 PM
more 10mm ammo...

ElevenBravo
09-03-2015, 10:33 PM
Trimmed and pocket reamed some 556, got a lot left to do but at least I got started...

EB

realist
09-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Been gone for a couple of weeks.

We put on a three day carbine instructor class for 16 of our people. We shot a butt load of ammo at the class. The best part was working in low light and team shoots. Good group of guys.

Conducted a finishing school for the academy. This is all range time to prepare them for their agencies. Lots of shooting around cars and team movements. They will be going off to a profession which is not in the greatest favor any more, to a world very divided.

The garden has come in like gang busters. We are getting shopping bags of string beans, both yellow and green. Lots of freezing we just pickled a bunch for the first time, they are great. Zucs, cucs, and a bunch of other squash have overwhelmed us, our friends are starting to avoid us. Artichokes have been doing well. The large tomatoes are just coming in, the small pear ones are sweet like candy. Melons should be ripe in about a week, with roughly thirty on the vines. Our corn is eight to ten feet tall and just about ripe. When it is done I have a friend who wants it for his cattle so it will not go to waste. Just checked and the apples are coming along just fine, we should have a good crop. All in all this has been the best harvest we have ever had, its nice to be retired to have the time to take care of it all.

ElevenBravo
09-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Gotta love 10mm, wish I had one...

ak474u
09-06-2015, 08:12 PM
Made a dozen jars of pickles, and 6 jars of pear, Apple, pequin pepper jelly it's REALLY tasty.

ElevenBravo
09-07-2015, 01:07 AM
Put my life in other's hands and went to the public range. Practiced draw/fire, two hand, strong hand and weak hand with about 250 rnds.

Picked up almost a 1/2 a 5 gal bucket of brass! About 100 223, which I already deprimed and resized tonight, started trimming and reaming already... Got lots off 9mm and a good bit of 40 (of which quite a few were mine...). Guy with a bolt just GAVE me his 308, never had to pick it up, had 3 different people help me pick up brass, I have no idea why but I told them "Thank you"...

Got a few 45, not many... but what surprised me was how many 380 I got, damn that stuff is expensive!! Ill deprime and tumble EVERY piece of brass I have and bag it for future, never know when you may want it for trade... 243 and 270 brass in a bag already... Keeping the 308, I will want a Savage bolt one day.

Keeping ALL the 9 I get and processing it.. I am *hoping* to get a G17 maybe next summer. I sure missing shooting a Glock, I like my M&P but the trigger is not near as good as a stock Glock. One day, I want a G21 to add to the collection.. 45 has a sweet recoil impulse, slow and linear.

I need to do that more often but its a 45min trip one way and gas is still pricey for my wallet.

EB

ak474u
09-08-2015, 03:10 AM
7 jars of peach nectarine jam added to the pile this morning.

bacpacker
09-08-2015, 11:56 AM
Not much this past week. Did pick up a old and in great shape 2" framing chisel. Just one more on my tool whore list.

ElevenBravo
09-08-2015, 10:10 PM
This last Sun I was at the range and picked up about 400 9mm, and other assorted goodies...

I got ALL the 9mm bagged and tagged, been resized, deprimed and SSTL tumble washed... READY TO LOAD.

Still going though the 223... Glad I learned and started reloading on pistol first, if I had started with rifle I would have
sold ALL my gear by now! Geezz!

EB

realist
09-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Rifle ammo can be tedious. I save all this for rainy season when I am going stir crazy.

oif0709
09-09-2015, 09:21 PM
I have all the stuff needed to reload fortunately. Unfortunately no time to do it. I have an awesome Dillon 550b. I hate the public range, the vultures try to grab my brass before it even hits the ground. Fortunately I've been able to keep all my silver state armory brass.
Sunday I had gone out to explore some state game glands I've been to a couple times. The brush is so thick in most of the areas it's not really the best bug out location but I've at least practiced some valuable skills there.

ElevenBravo
09-10-2015, 12:58 AM
... I had gone out to explore some state game glands I've been to a couple times.

Please allow me to be of assistance in your study of game glands...
http://www.deertrail.us/minnesotawildlife/minnesotawildlifepictures/ViewersPictures/deertrailsponsors/deertrailpictures/deertrail/wildlifepictures/a/scentglandsall.jpg

I hope I was of some help...
EB

Sniper-T
09-10-2015, 01:26 AM
I've been hunting them for 35 years and didn't know all of them, never mind by name!

ElevenBravo
09-10-2015, 02:34 AM
Doesnt matter, dont need to know them come knife and fork time...

Katrina
09-11-2015, 04:23 AM
This may not be the area to put this, please move it if needed. Thank you
I have a granddaughter, age 2, who is VERY lactose intolerant and while I have powdered milk put up I'm at a loss on what to put up for her. Right now Son2 and DIL have been buying Lactaid aka Dancing cow milk(her words) for her but when I contacted the company, they don't have it in powdered form. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

AlphaTea
09-11-2015, 02:42 PM
That was easy:
http://shop.honeyville.com/powdered-soy-milk.html?gclid=CI_F9Jyb78cCFZKRHwodhWsNyA
I believe a #10 can is about $15 and a case of 6 cans is $84ish

Sniper-T
09-11-2015, 03:13 PM
as per google:

http://www.valio.com/ingredients/lactose-free-milk-powders/#product-1

http://www.innovafoodingredients.com/en/producto/lactose-free-whole-milk-powder

helomech
09-12-2015, 02:29 AM
This may not be the area to put this, please move it if needed. Thank you
I have a granddaughter, age 2, who is VERY lactose intolerant and while I have powdered milk put up I'm at a loss on what to put up for her. Right now Son2 and DIL have been buying Lactaid aka Dancing cow milk(her words) for her but when I contacted the company, they don't have it in powdered form. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

You know unpasteurized cow milk does not bother people that are lactose intolerant. The pasteurization kills all the helpful bacteria, and this is what causes some people to be lactose intolerant.

realist
09-13-2015, 08:43 PM
Wifey and I celebrated our 31st this week. My son bought us a couple of sit on kayaks for fishing, they are awesome, I hope to be able to go out this week and try them out.

Only made it out to the range once this week. With classes starting I hope to be out there at least two to three times a week for the next couple of months.

Today is salsa day, no you don't want to see me dance, the type you eat. Tomatoes, bell peppers, corn, chilies, cabbage, cucumber and misc spices. Other than the spices all came from the garden. 15 pints should last us a little while.

Tomorrow is pickle day. We hope to can another 12 to 18 pints of pickles.

Looks like the cantaloupes are taking a little longer, we will have at least thirty waiting to be picked. With the heat the tomatoes are really coming in good and hopefully we will be able to can some too. I wish we had planted more.

ElevenBravo
09-13-2015, 10:00 PM
Shot about 75 rnds of .40, my buddy demonstrated (video to come) the difference between HP and FMJ, made me a believer.. Looking at HP bullets from Everglades to load with... More expensive, but will prove to be more accurate... and any mag I pick up is a self defense mag.. Will continue to load and run FMJ/plated for competition... HP for zombie storage/LTS.

Thats about it.....

EB

ak474u
09-13-2015, 11:34 PM
Made 7-8oz and 4-12oz jars of pear, Apple, jalapeƱo jelly. Pears and jalapeƱos are from the garden, that's the last of the pears for this year, (first crop ever) and we also had 2 honeydew melons ready today. We planted 10 times the melons this year and it's gonna be a good one for those, which is good because my tomatoes absolutely suck so far.

bacpacker
09-14-2015, 12:58 AM
Picked most of the last of our peppers, jalapenos, cayenne, Serrano, bells. Plowed part of the garden so I can sow my cover crop for the winter. I normally use just annual Rye. This year I am gonna mix in clover. It'll fix nitrogen in the soil for use next spring. I also will be working up a small plot to plant a few carrots and beets I have going in trays from seed. I'm also gonna put out kale and spinach.

Vodin
09-14-2015, 02:11 AM
I have enrolled in a CERT course.

AlphaTea
09-17-2015, 05:38 PM
I started annual drain and fill on water storage

ElevenBravo
09-17-2015, 09:57 PM
Nothing really, other than the usual net scrolling..

Doing research on 9mm, *thinking* of switching over... I have plans on getting a G17, once I get a few K rnds down pipe Ill think it over more serious... Modern JHP 9mm "should" do what I need... thats what Im in the mist of researching. Want to load some JHP in 40 first, to give a comparison.

EB

helomech
09-18-2015, 01:56 AM
I carry a 40 for self defense, but shoot my 9 more often. I carry a 9mm when I am on my property. I see no reason to not have both.

realist
09-18-2015, 04:00 AM
EB the 9mm of today is very respectable. Will it do the job, absolutely. I have found when you just look at the bullets. Plated bullets are substantially cheaper than 45 cal just because of the weight difference. As to the newer ammunition it is very good, take a look at the Barnes bullets and you will be pleasantly surprised.

This week has been busy already. Spent Tuesday at the range for about three hours and got paid to shoot. Yesterday a bunch of cleanup around the place and restocked the truck. Today taught on the range all day but did not get to shoot much. Start back in in the morning on the outdoor range and should get to shoot a bunch, then hunt in the evening. Saturday teach classroom all day, hunt evening and Sunday morning. I' short on venison so I hope to make out since the weather has changed.

helomech
09-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Our deer season does not open till next month.

Socalman
09-18-2015, 02:23 PM
I completed a build on my first AR-15. It is a PSA lower with PSA lower parts kit and an Anderson upper with a 1:7 twist, chrome lined barrel, 5.56 chamber and flip up iron sights. I hope to get to the local range early next week and get it sighted in. I am excited as this is my first ever AR. Here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, we have to replace the mag release with a bullet button (mag release requires a tool to release your mag and the tip of a .223 works) and are limited legally to 10 rounds. While some people are using 30 round mags that have been permanently blocked to a max of 10, I picked up five 10 rounders. I don't even want someone to question me and at my age, I don't care if I look cool.

ElevenBravo
09-18-2015, 09:18 PM
Let me know if you want to find a nice place to settle down here in SW VA, we have no such silly boot licker rules! (Yet....)
The mountains here are beautiful!

EB

robsdak
09-21-2015, 06:43 PM
busy,busy. i will update here shortly. lots to say. LOL

ElevenBravo
09-21-2015, 10:49 PM
Every day I go to work, I work my ass off... between health insurance, tax, doctor visits, prescriptions, utilities and groceries, there is ZERO money left over. Ive gone week to week (actually I get paid every 2 weeks), and had $8 in the checking account when my paycheck deposits.

Im so sick and tired of living with nothing, nothing to show for it... I dont worship money or possessions.. but Id like for mama to have a car that doesnt break down, put Lil'Bravo though school, etc.. I am 100% disenchanted with the Murican Dream.

So, I am brainstorming ideas for websites that can make me residual income with minimal maintenance.. I will be selling the SERVICE of the website, non-tangible product. Thus I dont have to spend 10 hours a day packing and shipping a product to make a buck.

So I have the idea for 1 service site, actually 2.. I do not wish to put all my eggs in one basket so Id like to have multiple sites offering varied services, if one site dumps out the other 5 will be successful... In concept anyway.

So if you have any ideas let me know.

I actually had the idea for ebay several months before the site went live... Wish that was *ME* that put that together.

I program in ASP.NET with SQL database back end, I build websites from SCRATCH. I dont use software, I use Notepad, Im old school as hell, I was making good money with websites back before the dot com bust, everyone got Front Page, there cropped up a gizillion web host and for me, the bottom fell out... I went from charging $99 a month web hosting and $1,200 to build a site... to not being able to give away my services.

Wish me luck...
EB

PS
Dont forget suggestions for service oriented websites... (think: match.com, ebay, craigslist, etc...)

Socalman
09-22-2015, 06:03 AM
ElevenBravo, I spent about 5 weeks in Virginia back in the mid-60's. We were visiting my dad's side of the family. I am petty ignorant of Virginia geography but I think it may have been in your part of the world. Dad was from Abingdon (spelling?) while his twin sister and her family lived in Marion. As a California kid, I loved the area, I guess I particularly loved all my cousins friends!

Here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia we do have a bunch of stupid ass laws and a state government controlled by a nothing but liberal democrats. We have not elected a Republican to state-wide office now in 2 general elections. One party rule. I recall when I was in elementary school we were taught that is how it is in the Soviet Union.

izzyscout21
09-22-2015, 03:00 PM
I've been working on getting my trailer up to speed this week. Got the old plywood floor off, now I'm working on sanding and priming.

mitunnelrat
09-26-2015, 12:29 AM
My local surplus store is closing its doors. As much as this saddens me I couldn't NOT go see what they had going for sale prices. So, I added to my vehicle kit with a disaster blanket and a nomex flight suit I'll also use for coveralls at work. A final book for my FM library, and a Tactical Tailor pouch in multicam. I think their large IFAK? I still need to look.

ElevenBravo
09-26-2015, 12:52 AM
Went full circle, first "real" semiauto was a Glock 22... Im back... to a Glock 22...

I had a used G22 G3 on lay a way, been putting a few bux on it from time to time.. Had enough in value on my M&P to trade it on toward what was owed on the Glock and took it home.

Now, Im trying to trade several mags for a few Glock mags, wanting to shoot it in the match next month..

Im not going into a lot of details as to the WHY, it boils down to personal preference.. In the end, Im am honestly to the core happy I got the Glock.

EB

Grumpy Old Man
09-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Bought a case of Red Feather butter on sale and some more Daks hams.

ElevenBravo
09-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Sounds like were having buttered ham after the lights go out! HA HA! DAK are not the best hams, but its sure gonna beat grasshopper and gopher!!

EB

robsdak
09-27-2015, 08:59 PM
busy,busy. i will update here shortly. lots to say. LOL

well the update.

health wise, feeling a little better. been busy doing odd-n-ends and pressure washing a few businesses at night, making a little money. got a deal off Craigslist. 3 pressure washers for $75. 2 good pumps and 3 running Honda GVC 160 engines. upgraded 1 of them too 3100 psi.

helping the neighbor kid with his archery skills. bought a Bear Apprentice 2, got a good deal on it. a buddy owns a pawnshop. outfitted it with all the gadgets too make it accurate. i can hold my own at 35 yds. i shoot about an hour a day.

built a target stand, my own design. i was tearing up the target, so i figured a way to minimize/absorb the impact. explain in a different post.

reading about trapping coyotes. having issues with 1 trying to get in the backyard after my girls. can't have that.

garden and honeybees were a bust this year. the plants did well, just nothing to harvest. bad year for bees.

been working more on med supplies. ordered more sutures and the like. putting together a 3rd bag for whatever.

been too hot to do anything in the garage. no woodworking or kydex to speak of. i did hang a ceiling fan, but all it does is move the hot air around.

new tires on the truck.

new ccw. a G27. good little shooter. carries well. now, just waiting on the ZOMBIES! LMAO!

put up some more food storage. was able to hit the BX when they had a sale going on.

about it.

realist
09-27-2015, 09:11 PM
My garden was a huge success and this week I am going to start the winter garden. Picked a bunch of the tomatoes and now we are making some meat sauce and will can it tonight when it is cooler.

However our fruit trees aside from the nectarines were terrible. One apple and maybe a dozen apricots and no plums, it doesn't make any sense.

bacpacker
09-28-2015, 01:13 AM
Went to a orchard today and picked up 1.5 bushel of apples, bushel of sweet potatos, 50lbs of onions. Also hit up some antique stores yesterday and found a bunch of scrap metal, old punches, chisels, ect. Paid less than .25 /lb. Some is useable for the original purpose, otherwise will make good metal for blacksmithing.

robsdak
09-28-2015, 02:36 AM
However our fruit trees aside from the nectarines were terrible. One apple and maybe a dozen apricots and no plums, it doesn't make any sense.

ours either. sand pears did well, but they will grow in the dark. LOL the early and late peaches were small and had no flavor. i even fertilized them. i dunno?

realist
09-28-2015, 04:18 AM
We call it FM...........the second word is magic you can figure out the first. I will be fertilizing and and watering a bunch this year. A good pruning and some spray and just maybe just maybe I will get more than this year. The one thing I do have is pomegranates. In about a month I will be making jelly which is to die for..........

mitunnelrat
10-01-2015, 02:44 AM
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/zipperutilitypouch.aspx

This is the pouch I scored for under $20. It looks brand new. I had the perfect home for it. Kinda happy right now. Under 1/2 of msrp is good :)

ak474u
10-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Rebuilding my firewood rack. I used old fence posts sunk into concrete to make the stacks vertical when I first built it, and the posts on one side are a bit loose in the ground, so I'm tying the verticals together with a frame at the top which will also double as the supports for a tin roof to keep the wood at least semi dry. I'm also using a bunch of salvaged fence pickets to enclose the sides. I've got a TON of stained pickets that match my fence that I can't burn right now (burn ban) so I'm enclosing it on the sides for aesthetic purposes. I'm also planning a full rehab of the garden over the winter with a drip system.

bacpacker
10-04-2015, 04:39 PM
We've been putting up apple butter and dehydrating apples. Probably gonna be making pie filling up as well.

ElevenBravo
10-04-2015, 08:40 PM
I got a "promotion", I say it like that because it may end up being a scape goat position where I will get the blame for everything and I may quit or get fired... Dohno yet, Im being optimistic. Been with the company for 6 years, and this position I have a *LOT* to learn to be able to do my job, so I hope I can do it... I know I can do the job, not sure if I can meet there demands/expectations.

Located a LGS that does Glock blue label, guys says I can open an account and put money on it as I wish/please, and when there is enough I can have my Glock ordered... this is better than a lay a way, no time limits.

Located source of bullets JHP from Everglades, price is a about what I get Berrys for locally, but there TRUE JHP bullets, not plated.. so I can get a lot better bullet for the "same" money, and they ship free.

ALDI is opening up, I may be able to save some grocery money there... will have to see.

I did a good swap with a forum member of another forum, I swapped 6 M&P mags for 5 Glock 22 mags, no money out of pocket (except shipping) and I didt have to hassle with selling the M&P mags. Ive not shot THIS G22 yet, but Im sure its fine, already tore it down and cleaned & inspected it... Its a bit worn but just broke in. Glock should be fine.

Thats about all for now..

I hope with the new position I got I can start catching up on old (and some very old) debts, one is to a member here..

EB

ak474u
10-04-2015, 08:57 PM
I got a "promotion", I say it like that because it may end up being a scape goat position where I will get the blame for everything and I may quit or get fired... Dohno yet, Im being optimistic. Been with the company for 6 years, and this position I have a *LOT* to learn to be able to do my job, so I hope I can do it... I know I can do the job, not sure if I can meet there demands/expectations.

Located a LGS that does Glock blue label, guys says I can open an account and put money on it as I wish/please, and when there is enough I can have my Glock ordered... this is better than a lay a way, no time limits.

Located source of bullets JHP from Everglades, price is a about what I get Berrys for locally, but there TRUE JHP bullets, not plated.. so I can get a lot better bullet for the "same" money, and they ship free.

ALDI is opening up, I may be able to save some grocery money there... will have to see.

I did a good swap with a forum member of another forum, I swapped 6 M&P mags for 5 Glock 22 mags, no money out of pocket (except shipping) and I didt have to hassle with selling the M&P mags. Ive not shot THIS G22 yet, but Im sure its fine, already tore it down and cleaned & inspected it... Its a bit worn but just broke in. Glock should be fine.

Thats about all for now..

I hope with the new position I got I can start catching up on old (and some very old) debts, one is to a member here..

EB

We like Aldi. They don't have many "name brand" things, at least not that are recognizable in TX. If you like Doritos, they don't have those, but they do have Clancy's chips of all kinds and we'd never heard of those, but they're awesome. They almost always have canned ham on sale, they have pretty good canned veggies prices, never been hot on their produce, but otherwise, it's a good store.

bacpacker
10-05-2015, 12:19 AM
We shop at Aldis all the time. Good prices, quality is good to. Their store brand dark chocolate is nice. canned food quality is as good as name, but much better prices. Meat is OK, but the produce for the most part is better quality than wallyworld and again better prices.

BTW, Trader Joe's is owned by the same company and has quality products as well. Just a little higher priced and a better assortment of choices.

mitunnelrat
10-05-2015, 06:42 AM
Aldi's is just far enough away I don't do any regular shopping there now, but when you get a chance you should pick up their chicken pot pies. Corned beef hash too. Best I've ever tasted for either, and worth a stop when I'm in the area.

For myself in prepping this week I have processed 5 dozen ears of corn and frozen two batches of beef stew. Growing and storing my own food is still great :)

helomech
10-07-2015, 02:06 AM
Did some sparring tonight again in Karate. I am getting much better, beat both the guys I sparred, but I did take a good shot to the ribs. Not sure how I am going to sleep tonight. Hurts to breath hard.

izzyscout21
10-07-2015, 04:26 PM
Vehicle antenna for my HAM radio came in. Still waiting on the mount.....

Caveman Survival
10-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Carving, beading, primitive crafting, honing cast iron cooking skills, annual fall utility bill monitoring, harvesting wood, shelter building practice and rural property scouting....

ElevenBravo
10-07-2015, 11:04 PM
... but I did take a good shot to the ribs. Not sure how I am going to sleep tonight. Hurts to breath hard.

Humm... reminds me of when I was a cocky SOB in high school taking Karate.. Me a white belt sparring with a good black belt... I got one good hard kick in on him.... Mind you, he was fighting a white belt game with me...

Next thing I know hes holding my wrist while pulling me into a side kick to the side ribs.. If he had given it full power Id still be in the hospital. Anywho... I promptly bowed out and went outside to cry and couldnt breath for several minutes.

Respect: Level up 1 notch...

EB

realist
10-08-2015, 12:27 AM
Ya know Helo misery is optional....

helomech
10-08-2015, 03:24 AM
LMAO, wife got two black eyes when she sparred last night. My ribs are killing me today, apparently he got my right side also.

jamesneuen
10-08-2015, 10:47 AM
It's the ones you don't see that get you.

My grandfather died at a young age. He was a preacher during his time in Vietnam with the black horse regime. He was rather short on humor. I remember one joke he told me though.

Two world class fencing duelists met to see who was better. It was a draw in every match, so they ended the day by going to dinner. As they sat at the table the first duelist suddenly draws his foil and settings at the candles on the table next to them. The second duelist laughs thinking he missed. The first one gently bored and all the candles fall over.

The second duelist says watch this, stands up and swings at the neck of his competitor. The first duelist laughs and says he missed. The second duelist says "wiggle your head"

realist
10-08-2015, 02:30 PM
Ya know Helo in our state we call that domestic abuse. You two need to stay home and heal otherwise if you go out someones going to call the cops and someone will go to jail...........got pictures for the Christmas cards now.......

ElevenBravo
10-08-2015, 10:43 PM
Makup sex is best... just sayin...

ElevenBravo
10-08-2015, 10:51 PM
SCREW IT, STICKING WITH 40

Im this far into the rabbit hole, gonna stick with 40 S&W, there is nothing inhearently wrong with the caliber, and Im so invested into it, might as well embrace the dark side.

Going to outfit us with a Gen 4 G22, handled a bever tail 22 on my way home, WTH... Like it better than the M&P... Having 2K of primed brass helps make the decision too...

Everglades... I *GOT* to get some (After I pay my brass man, of course...):
500 rnds should be a good start until such time excess money (what is that??) presents it's self..
http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/z-40-180gr-jhp-bullets.html

WooT WooT! *TRUE* JHP!

I can take my (now on my hip in a Serpa holster G3 G22) Glock and have it as a backup or hand out, I still trust the G3 with my life, but G4 got it going on!

EB

helomech
10-09-2015, 04:10 AM
They will not let me and her spar. She fought against some younger black belts and a woman that is a lower belt than her. One of the black belts gave her the black eye.

ElevenBravo
10-09-2015, 08:06 AM
I figured that Helo, was making a joke as if you two had had a fight...

(had had doesnt look or sound right, but seams to fit? Oh well)

realist
10-09-2015, 12:29 PM
EB it doesn't matter what everyone likes it is what you decide upon. If yo can hit with it and it is comfortable for you then you should use it.

helomech
10-09-2015, 03:26 PM
I figured that Helo, was making a joke as if you two had had a fight...

(had had doesnt look or sound right, but seams to fit? Oh well)

I figured, just thought I would clarify. Wish these damn ribs would stop hurting so I can work out again. I have not worked out in 3 days, and it is pissing me off.

Domeguy
10-10-2015, 06:13 AM
I figured, just thought I would clarify. Wish these damn ribs would stop hurting so I can work out again. I have not worked out in 3 days, and it is pissing me off.
And you call this ...fun? And if you piss her off any time soon, can you prove you didn't do this to her? Plausible deniability my friend.

helomech
10-10-2015, 04:40 PM
LMAO, lots of fun. Yes I can prove it, but she would never even try such a thing. She knows me very well.

ak474u
10-11-2015, 12:40 AM
Got a glock 43 for my birthaversary present.

robsdak
10-12-2015, 12:39 AM
Did some sparring tonight again in Karate. I am getting much better, beat both the guys I sparred, but I did take a good shot to the ribs. Not sure how I am going to sleep tonight. Hurts to breath hard.

Helo, do i need to come that way and whip-up this fella for you? LMAO!!!

helomech
10-12-2015, 04:59 AM
LMAO, no next time we spar I will wear his rib cage out. He needs to learn to hit fast but not hard. I was able to hit him over and over, I just didn't do it hard. We are not trying to hurt each other. I can easily take him in a real fight. Heck I won the matches. He will pay next time.

ElevenBravo
10-12-2015, 11:13 PM
Ya ever put a gun on lay a way... with $25?

Been with the same LGS so long, and we shoot USPSA often, I am almost on the payroll.. I havent bought THAT much, but sometimes I just stop to visit... like a lost brother or something... Anyway, he knows me and daughter pretty well. G22 G4, I can get it cheaper with blue label price but... he will let it park on lay a way for several months longer than the average customer.

EB

izzyscout21
10-13-2015, 01:27 AM
Antenna came in for my VHF mobile. Gotta finish getting it mounted

Vodin
10-14-2015, 12:39 AM
Just had the roof replaced. It sucked till now. It needed replacement a few years ago. Had a tightening of cash flow and used the Insurance roof payment to stay ahead. Well fell behind and needed to pay for the entire roof install.

The good : Learned Allstate charges excessively. After roof install we left Allstate.
The better: Got into another company and paying 1/2 the cost.
The best: Back and payed for the roof install (before we ditched Allstate) and now no roof failure worries. (The roof never leaked for 3 years)

AlphaTea
10-22-2015, 09:18 PM
I just scored eight of the 120rd Mini Cans of M193 from Walmart for $30 each!

ElevenBravo
10-22-2015, 11:15 PM
We had a bad roof once, that was one worrisome damn problem. Had a two man crew do a pretty good job for low buck, else it would still be leaking...

Glad you got your top fixed.

EB

ak474u
10-24-2015, 11:42 PM
Built a single mag OWB kydex carrier for a Glock 43 mag. Now I need a taran tactical +2 extensions so I can have 8+1 in the tank. Too bad the extensions cost as much as a magazine.

mitunnelrat
10-25-2015, 01:14 AM
I've added a tire plug kit and tow strap to the vehicle kit

Sniper-T
10-25-2015, 08:56 PM
Just keep in mind that those plug kits are a last resort. If you have a flat and can get it to a garage, it is savable. If you plug it yourself you can run the life of he plug and then the tire is finished.

Over the last week, I have cut own, bucked up, loaded, hauled split and stacked about 5 cords of wood. It's all in various stges, for this year, next year, and the year after. Now I need to sort out my woodshed to set up a 3 year rotation.

realist
10-26-2015, 03:20 AM
Went up to the mountains with a few trusted friends to shoot and camp. A couple of new guys were brought along for us to have a look at, one yep the other nope. It was nice to just get away and have a good time. Good shooting, good food and just a little whiskey, okay maybe a little more, in that order.

Socalman
11-02-2015, 04:10 PM
I was able to pick up 500 rounds of 5.56 at a good price of .33 per round. They are brass reloads from a reputable company and I will now have enough brass for my own reloads. Rotated some canned stock and began using some recently "expired" canned goods and restocked those. Right now a small grocery chain is going out of business and selling everything off at 10-40% off. Have added some canned and dry goods to the storage. Looking at installing rain gutters so that we might save some run off from the promised winter storms.

bacpacker
11-02-2015, 11:01 PM
Care to say which co. They were from? .33 cents is a good price with brass.

realist
11-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Bought a bunch of stuff for my daughter to put in her EDC and BOB, micro flashlight, fersnal lens, Leatherman micro. Israeli bandages, CAT tourniquet, Combat gauze and EMT scissors for a blow out kit. I will also be bringing some duplicates down to my son this weekend. Also taking down his G-code holster and M&P 9 CORE.

Katrina
11-05-2015, 02:57 AM
Haven't done a lot. Just pulled the last of the carrots out of the garden. Will process this week, freezing and dehydrating some. Brussels were a fail but I think it's because we didn't plant them correctly and DH didn't take enough of the leaves off. We'll try again next year.Rest of the garden was a fail as well, not sure what happened but I suspect the mulch DH used and the rain did the garden in.

ElevenBravo
11-05-2015, 03:10 AM
The last few orders I did with Diamond K was *outstanding*...

EB

ak474u
11-05-2015, 03:43 AM
Got our Aronia berry, gojis, hardy kiwi (replaced from a lost one by stark bros) 6 blackberries, 3 raspberry, 2 replacement honeyberries, and thornless loganberries (2). Our goal for next year is at least 50lbs of berries. Got 22lbs from one blackberry this year, so maybe we'll get it. We're adding the above to: 2 elderberries, 1 goji, 3 Nanking cherry, 2 blueberry, 2 pink champagne blueberry, 1 blackberry, 3 raspberry, 1 grape, 1 fruit cocktail (peach, plum, nectarine) 1 triple cocktail pear tree which is 3 different pears, 1 peach, 1 methley plum, and 1 Celeste fig. Pulling out the melons which are done, and didn't impress this year, but did ok so I can winterize the bed, and have it ready when it's time to plant spring onions, and plant my elephant garlic on one end which I'm late doing, but it rains every Thursday now, so I'm way behind.

realist
11-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Signed up for a two day low light class with Mike Pannone. Building more shelving in the garage for more storage. I'm looking at putting up a metal barn to protect my equipment and to store firewood.

mitunnelrat
11-07-2015, 12:37 AM
I picked up an M&P bb gun just for fun this week, but nowI'm more geeked about the resetting trigger than anything. I think I just picked into an acceptable, inexpensive,dry fire training gun.

Vodin
11-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Tore down the PVC greenhouse. Tearing down the raised garden beds. Planning out the rebuild for next year. Pond rebuild will occur hopefully this year as well. Need a few more good days for the construction phase.

Sniper-T
11-07-2015, 10:52 PM
First day in almost 3 weeks it didn't rain. got a bunch of wood split and piled in the woodshed. Making some room in the outdoor storage for another cord for 2 years from now (will move into shed next year.

realist
11-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Yesterday was day one of the Pannone class and for anyone who gets a chance to take one of his classes you will not be disappointed. Everything he teaches is for a reason and he goes over those reasons. This is a night shoot and I have not shot this much one handed shooting in ages. We start back in this afternoon for round two, I'm looking forward to it.

izzyscout21
11-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Picked up 2 of the 4-pack surplus Israeli wool blanket sets from Sportsman's Guide. Awesome deal.

ak474u
11-15-2015, 02:23 AM
Made 14 jars of Apple pear pequin pepper jelly today. Finished planting raspberries, loganberry, and blackberries.

realist
11-18-2015, 12:36 AM
Picked up my tractor today.

bacpacker
11-18-2015, 12:52 AM
What did you get? Details man...and pics...please

realist
11-18-2015, 02:05 AM
Kubota B2710 with 1,021 hours on it. It came with front loader, box scraper and a belly mower. The tires are almost new. I paid $7,500. I've never figured out how to post pictures.

bacpacker
11-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Sorry bout that. You mentioned it in another thread. I'm brain dead this week.

AlphaTea
11-18-2015, 05:07 PM
Added Glock 29 to my inventory

Sniper-T
11-18-2015, 10:14 PM
.... I've never figured out how to post pictures.

Dude. you need an account at a photo hosting site, like photobucket. upload your pics, and then copy/paste the IMG code into your text here.

PM me if you need more help, I'll walk you through it... including securing your account so no one can see anything unless you want them to.

realist
11-19-2015, 02:00 PM
I'll take a look at doing it this weekend, thanks

Kesephist
11-19-2015, 08:55 PM
Several days ago got my second beach cruiser bike.

WSHTF I'll be heading out with a modern and more sturdy version of a handcart, ala Mormon. Two of the abovementioned beach cruiser bikes bolted together, with the drive trains dropped, and stopsign support stock tying them together.

Sniper-T
11-19-2015, 09:06 PM
K, forgive my ignorance... but what is so special about a beach cruiser bike? Why pick one of these over a "mountain bike" or a "ten speed" design?

Kesephist
11-19-2015, 09:16 PM

WSHTF I'll be heading out with a modern and more sturdy version of a handcart, ala Mormon. Two of the abovementioned beach cruiser bikes bolted together, with the drive trains dropped, and stopsign support stock tying them together.

- - - Updated - - -

jamesneuen
11-19-2015, 11:55 PM
ST we have a lot of"beach cruisers" down here because they do better on sand. Hence the name

bacpacker
11-20-2015, 12:12 AM
Keepist, are you planning on putting two together to make a "cart" type design, ala double bike wheels and carry capacity, like a cart?

You gotta show some pics!

Sniper-T
11-20-2015, 12:48 PM
ST we have a lot of"beach cruisers" down here because they do better on sand. Hence the name

Wider tires? different grip?

figure something like this would be good on sand, no?

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1899232794_1/Bicicleta-26x-4-0-Super-Wide-Flat-Tire-Bicycle-Ciclismo-Beach-Cruiser-Snow-Bike-7-Speeds.jpg

jamesneuen
11-20-2015, 03:13 PM
Yup, that's a beach cruiser. Wide tires and very low gearing. Most don't have adjustable gears

Kesephist
11-20-2015, 03:36 PM
In point of fact, what i got were exactly this... two of them.

http://ll-us-i5.wal.co/dfw/dce07b8c-7b81/k2-_733a7233-c562-4e4f-86bd-8c86774331a6.v1.jpg-79514e80007ccf97865cac2e7cc810fce48c62b1-optim-450x450.jpg

I aim to remove the handlebars and drive train, and use stop sign support stock to bolt the two together side by side, 40 inches apart, to give me a decent loadbed.

(I'll be keeping the drive trains... when I get where I am going they will be key to a spare power source... pedal driven generator, anyone?)

Kesephist

Sniper-T
11-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Without the drivetrains... you gonna push it by hand?

What would happen if you kept one bike intact to pedal, and made 2 foot outriggers on either side for gear? Think man-sized training wheels...

or even just one side?? Think an outrigger on a canoe...

Sniper-T
11-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Yup, that's a beach cruiser. Wide tires and very low gearing. Most don't have adjustable gears

Ah, up here, they're commonly used as snowbikes, for the nutjobs who like to ride all winter. some people use pop-rivets to stud the tires, and I've seen a few people with home made
tire chains.

Kesephist
11-20-2015, 09:38 PM
Without the drivetrains... you gonna push it by hand?

What would happen if you kept one bike intact to pedal, and made 2 foot outriggers on either side for gear? Think man-sized training wheels...

or even just one side?? Think an outrigger on a canoe...

Yes, by hand. I'm not nearly enough of a decent mechanic to do aught else. Already rummaged the variants you mentioned through, and came up dry.

Further comment here: http://www.shtfready.com/threads/582-Bug-out-Bicycle/page5

realist
11-21-2015, 12:13 PM
Sniper from a history standpoint a beach cruiser is a bike you can run into a curb while drunk and not damage it. They generally are not pretty and the nice thing is no one would want to been seen on it so they do not get stolen.

On a side note they have a new and improved version which in all seriousness allows you to ride it in sand or snow. These bikes have lard balloon tires. I do not know how well they work but I do know they cost a bunch.

bacpacker
11-21-2015, 08:34 PM
My bet with Ballon tires is that they would perform very well.

ak474u
11-21-2015, 10:12 PM
Just got in from mulching berry plants, cutting back all our tropical plants and mulching. Also just brought in 30lbs of green and almost ripe maters of all types. Gonna have a 32* night tonight. Wish I had 2 more weeks of warm weather, we were doing great on maters.

bacpacker
11-22-2015, 12:10 AM
Wrap the tomatos in newspaper and keep them boxed Ina dark area. They'll still ripen over time.

ak474u
11-22-2015, 12:49 AM
Wrap the tomatos in newspaper and keep them boxed Ina dark area. They'll still ripen over time.

Yup. You can ripen them fast if you put a green banana in the crate with them. We did layers between newspaper last year and just pulled ripe maters out every few days. The banana will make them ALL ripen around the same time.

ak474u
11-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Picked up 32lbs of pecans at the park down the street. The trees are somewhere around 150 years old, and were planted when this property was a homestead starting in 1845. The person who was it was originally granted to is buried about 200 yards from these big pecans. Gonna take them and have them shelled this week.

Sniper-T
11-23-2015, 04:48 PM
I made some wooden boxes to house my global buckets. How does this count as prepping, you ask?? It supports the longevity of this part of my garden, as mrs sniper has been getting more vocal about the looks of the buckets in the yard.

AlphaTea
11-24-2015, 01:45 AM
I put a 458 socom upper on lay-a-way...

Kesephist
11-24-2015, 04:53 AM
Just got in from mulching berry plants, cutting back all our tropical plants and mulching. Also just brought in 30lbs of green and almost ripe maters of all types. Gonna have a 32* night tonight. Wish I had 2 more weeks of warm weather, we were doing great on maters.

Would these work?

http://treetpee.hnmconcepts.com/our_story/

Kesephist

realist
11-26-2015, 03:32 AM
Froze last night so the garden is done. I picked the last of the peppers tonight. There were a few good tomatoes but only few. The only thing left are the potatoes and they are going berserk.

Picked up a Stoner upper for cheap to finish off one of the lower I have, it will go to my daughter. I'm going to make it as lite as possible for her.

We finished making pomegranate jelly this week. We still have a bunch of them left and my sister said she would take them. Between the jelly and cooking for Thanksgiving we have gone through 25 pounds of sugar and 10 pounds of flour. This has given me some new thoughts on the quantity I store, although in a SHTF situation I do not see me sitting around baking cookies and cakes.

Caveman Survival
11-26-2015, 05:40 AM
Realist... Shtf thanksgiving will be a shared can of spam and dandelion salad lol

realist
11-26-2015, 12:42 PM
I don't think so at least not here. Spam is ok but not in place of turkey. As for your choice of salad I prefer mine instead.

Other things I forgot. Small portable camping lantern for my daughter's and wife's.

http://www.amazon.com/MAZU-Ultra-Bright-LED-Lantern/dp/B010G3LFMW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448544835&sr=8-3&keywords=led+battery+operated+lantern

These things are cheap and compact. I wanted them in the event they had to change a tire. They each also have other flashlights but this will cast a lot of light for them to see and be seen.

Rebuilt the wife's first aid kit. It was a plastic tackle box she was always complaining about. She has an old Acura MDX, there is a small compartment in the rear deck. The compartment had the head rests for the third row of seats. We have probably used these maybe two time in the past 9 years, so they got shit canned. Now I have one of the three compartment aid bags with most things I need to stop bleeding and patch holes. Its going to be a work in progress since there are somethings right now I was thinking about adding.

Sniper-T
11-27-2015, 12:28 AM
realist, you may not be sitting around baking, but I dare say most of that sugar went into your preserves... Which I also dare say that you along with the rest of us will be making SHTF. And what better that a fresh loaf of bread to spread that Jelly on??

ak474u
11-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Built an IWB kydex holster for my Glock 43 yesterday while hiding from my family. Picked up a TON of batteries at Lowes, they had 36 packs of AA and AAAs for $5.99. That's cheaper than the dollar store, and actual name brand batteries.

bacpacker
11-27-2015, 09:48 PM
Gotta go by our lowes and see if they have that sale. Killer price on batteries

jamesneuen
11-27-2015, 10:42 PM
well this past week I took a leap and got a permanent "spinal cord stimulator" installed as an alternative to starting opiates for pain management. Still recovering at the moment and finding out the best way to use this new thing. I'm happy to report that it does help a lot with the pain.

Next couple weeks I will be moving the wife and kids up to Sault Ste. Marie so the wife can go back to school while I deal with my military medical junk. We're excited but nervous about everything. I'm working on getting the car prepped and a good cold weather emergency kit together that she will know how to use and understands the need for.

Kesephist
11-28-2015, 03:27 PM
If it can be done without eating up too much volume, for the cold I would recommend 1 good thick wool blanket (not the army itchy stuff)individually folded up and vacuumed down in a SpaceSaver plastic bag, per projected passenger. And an additional one just in case. Mylar emergency blankets only go so far.

realist
12-01-2015, 01:42 AM
James "spinal cord stimulator" sounds medieval. If it makes life more do able then that it a good thing. Otherwise it should be kept in the basement.

I went through all my old Surefire lights and upgraded them. If you have some, it is easy. What I did is order the Cree bulbs from amazon and the lights went from 120 lumens to 650 lumens. I am looking at upgrading some to 1000. I highly recommend them.

Kesephist
12-02-2015, 03:19 AM
I went through all my old Surefire lights and upgraded them. If you have some, it is easy. What I did is order the Cree bulbs from amazon and the lights went from 120 lumens to 650 lumens. I am looking at upgrading some to 1000. I highly recommend them.

What do Cree LEDs do to battery consumption? and is there a heat situation?

Kesephist

mitunnelrat
12-04-2015, 08:24 PM
I got an OtIs 12ga cleaning kit and revision sawfly glasses today.

Sniper-T
12-04-2015, 11:34 PM
gimpy as I may be, I am cleaning out my pantry, sorting and organizing!

jamesneuen
12-04-2015, 11:36 PM
MTR, do you really like those? We got some a at work and I just hated them. They are impossible to scrub with. I'll take a brass rod any day

bacpacker
12-05-2015, 12:39 AM
I have an Otis kit for 5.56 & 7.62. haven't used the large bore yet, but it worked OK for a 5.56. My AR kit works better, but the Otis has a better selection of tools with it.
I do like the Otis lube pretty well.

realist
12-05-2015, 12:40 AM
Got to do some work teaching this week with three days of firearms and then today we were on the simulator. Well I had to make sure it was working. The new systems are really nice, I just wish i could put one in my house. It is a prism system and uses actual weapons which have been modified. Sig 226, S&W M&P, glock, Colt AR15 and Remington 870.

Domeguy
12-05-2015, 02:22 AM
I've been fairly lax on the prepping stuff here lately, but I dad make up 5 gallons of laundry detergent. I only spent about $3 and about 1 hour, and saved about $100. I sound like an auto insurance commercial. And I bought a 100 ft cable for my radio antenna to see if others in the area can hear me better.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/gantsum/1044bd302a26639cd24178f8053d26b1_zps7dsy4bv8.jpg

mitunnelrat
12-07-2015, 06:51 PM
It's the first of their kits I picked up. I figured for $20 it was worth a try. It even had a .223 brush as a bonus item.

ak474u
12-07-2015, 11:43 PM
Built an OWB for my glock 43 over the weekend. Getting ready for Open Carry. It doesn't really print even with a t shirt pulled over it. Way more comfortable than IWB.

bacpacker
12-08-2015, 12:30 AM
MTR, $20 is a great price for Otis.

Metrocruiser
12-08-2015, 12:49 AM
Going to join a gun club and take some hand gun courses. Get familiar with archery, shotguns and start doing my prepping again.

Socalman
12-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Going through our stores of food and making sure we are rotating them. I am also re-evaluating my stores based upon some information regarding my mix of fat/protein/carbohydrates.

ElevenBravo
12-08-2015, 04:38 PM
Got a few groceries from Aldi... Recon indicates it may be a good source for LTS foods, but selection is pretty limited to replace my "full blown" grocery shopping. Prices are reasonable enough...

Loaded 250 FMJ 180gn .40...

Thats about it...

Still reading 299, these situations and such are a piss poor table of events or a planner, however in reality they do provide topics for consideration that warrant a mindful examination.

EB

bacpacker
12-08-2015, 07:09 PM
Adlis is a good supplement store. Canned products and produce are at least equal to wallyworld if not better. Prices are much better.

Trader Joe's is another one. I think ownership of the two are somehow combined. TJ'S has better selection and a little higher priced. Quality is as good as most grocery type stores (kroger, ingalls, food city)

Domeguy
12-08-2015, 10:17 PM
Shot about 150 rounds in the back yard range today. Trying to site in the Keltec sub 2000 a bit better at 100 yard and practiced pulling my Glock 17 to shoot, drop the mag and reload, focusing on technique and speed. Then I will reload several 100 rounds tonight. All in 9mm. Keltec and all 4 Glocks are in 9mm.

helomech
12-09-2015, 02:49 AM
I love my sub 2000, got the 40 cal glock 22 version

Sniper-T
12-10-2015, 04:17 AM
put 20 chickens into the freezer. all busted up, including 5 gallons of homemade broth.

realist
12-13-2015, 02:58 AM
We finished up the last of the pomegranate juice for another 12 pints of jelly.

Been a long time but was able to work on the firearms simulator three times this week. They system is called Prism which works using real guns which are CO2 and laser operated. The nice thing is we have two Glocks, an M&P, Sig 226, AR and a Remington 870. The CO2 functions the slide on the weapons with the same trigger press as a live weapon. We have probably 100+ different scenarios, its a nice system.

ak474u
12-13-2015, 03:10 AM
Made 16 jars of orange pequin pepper marmalade. It came out a little too hot, but the heat fades almost instantly after it hits you.

realist
12-13-2015, 03:15 AM
Had to look that one up. I've never had hot marmalade, sounds good. Want to trade for some pomegranate jelly?

ak474u
12-13-2015, 09:57 PM
Made 10 pints of salsa with the maters we had ripe this week (ripening in a crate with newspaper since we had to pick green) made 12 8oz spiced cranberry sauces.

realist
12-14-2015, 03:51 AM
My wife had an accident to day cooking and burned one of her fingers pretty good. Not really anything that could be done. Dressed with a loose occlusive dressing. Looking at our supplies burns are the one area that I was lacking supplies. So I bought a bunch for the future just in case. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

bacpacker
12-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Lavender essential oil after an ice cold bath to cool the burn.

My wife grabbed a cookie sheet that was sitting on a stove burner she thought was off. It was on a higher heat and burned each finger pretty badly. Blisters popped right up. We got her hand in cold water right away and kept it there for a half hour or so. We then coated the burns in the oil and wrapped them loosely. Next morning you could hardly see the burns. We thankfully never had to try that again.

realist
12-14-2015, 03:14 PM
What I ended up using is WaterJel on the burn. My mom gave me a WaterJel kit years ago so I got it out to see if the contents were still good. It is 2% lidocaine with a cooling gel. My wife had several blisters the length of her index finger. I put the gel over the blisters and then wrapped it with a loose bandage to protect it. This morning the blisters were gone with the exception of a small one at the end of her finger. Just from these results I would highly recommend WaterJel.

Sniper-T
12-15-2015, 12:11 AM
move north! My mother in law scorched her hand last week. walked her out the back door, stuck her hand in snow for a half hour. all good!

realist
12-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Now I may send her north but I don't think I am interested in moving there. Snow is good for a visit only.

ak474u
12-20-2015, 12:03 AM
Today's canning: 8-jars cranberry pear jam
14-jars. Pear honey jam (no honey in it, pineapple added to pears makes it tasted like honey, and I mean EXACTLY LIKE IT.
10-jars. Pineapple pequin pepper jam

Tomorrow 2-3 dozen pints of pickles.

Update: 72 jars of jams, and pickles. I'm tired

ElevenBravo
12-31-2015, 04:51 PM
Reloading:

1) Been pretty bummed about NOT having any SD loads... found a LGS that had Winchester 180gn JHP .40, so I got a pack of 100 and load them, also found test results on tube... decent round, much better than ball so Im happy with that change!
Here is the loaded ammo, of the bullets I bought:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBi9t7S0Fpg

2) Got some Berrys 55gn FMJBT .223 and played with the dies a little, still need primers and powder.. a little ($$) at a time..

EB

greytoothe
12-31-2015, 05:11 PM
Went and got a half dozen boxes of ammo to add to the stash. Cleaned all the guns to make sure they operated smoothly.

Added to the food stockpile included a large bag of rice and multiple bags of peas.

Used the last of FSA card for 2015 for additional medical supplies.

Went to Wally world and got head lights and 15 el-cheapo led lights (all clearance items). They are cheap (I have better), but they are now spread throughout the house. At 0.42 cents each they can't be beat.

realist
01-01-2016, 02:16 AM
Found some 22 ammo for a reasonable buy but could only pick up a bucket of 1,400 and then got a brick of 500 elsewhere. These will go to the kids for practice.

My son and daughter were both home for Christmas and we were able to make one day out one the range. When three are shooting the 9mm and 223 goes fast. It was nice seeing them work as a team. With them at either ends of the State it is tough getting together for training.

My daughter is studying to be a nurse. She said she wanted a good first aid kit. So we put together a major kit for car and home. She already had a good IFAK for backpacking and shooting.

Packaged up a bunch of replacement batteries for all the cars. I take and seal-a-meal them in packs of 4 so they are protected from just rolling around in packs and glove compartments.

Build up a Ruger 10-22 with a new Magpul Hunter stock and a new trigger group by Ruger. I’ll see how they work. If it works out I want to put a new trigger group in all of the 10-22s we have.

Set up my new big Berkey water filter. Even the wife approves of us getting it so we can use it when we camp on our property up north.

Domeguy
01-01-2016, 08:02 PM
Obummers gun control seems to be working very well at my home. I cleaned my Glock17 two weeks ago, and put it away so my 7 yr old grandson wouldn't find it while he spent the week with us...now I can't remember where I put it!

jamesneuen
01-01-2016, 10:00 PM
That's some pretty good hiding

mitunnelrat
01-02-2016, 01:36 AM
Should have checked his bag on his way out ;)

Domeguy
01-02-2016, 01:53 AM
Found it...it was in the OTHER camo bag...not to be confused with THE camo bag.

mitunnelrat
01-02-2016, 02:42 AM
Glad you found it.

ak474u
01-03-2016, 01:52 AM
Bought and started installing 10-1080p cameras on my house today. Another vandalism spree in the neighborhood last night. Luckily they only egged our cars, but there's a family that causes lots of trouble (renters) I call them the O'Doyles because of the way they treat other kids. I suspect the escalation is because the police have been involved in one instance of their 11-12 y/o girls asking 8 and 9 year old girls if they could take "pictures" of them. I expect these little asshats to get much worse very soon. God help them if they mess with my kid. This package can be upgraded to 16 cams if I find it necessary. Also gonna install at least one on my chimney for a weather cam.

ElevenBravo
01-03-2016, 02:03 AM
Damn AK, you live in Chicago?? J/K - Looks like its time to find a new place to call home, and might as well be a BOL at the same time!

EB

bacpacker
01-03-2016, 02:57 AM
How about some pics and details of the cameras and system, plus a review once you get it up and dialed in. I have been looking at these for some time and can't decide what to pull the trigger on. There are lots of stuff out there, including IR cameras for night time use. Various recording devices and direct and wireless set ups.

Hope the asshats get busted and dealt with soon.

ElevenBravo
01-03-2016, 03:02 AM
Juvis NEVER get dealt with, unless its murder, and thats not even guaranteed- Believe me, I know-

EB

ak474u
01-03-2016, 03:36 AM
How about some pics and details of the cameras and system, plus a review once you get it up and dialed in. I have been looking at these for some time and can't decide what to pull the trigger on. There are lots of stuff out there, including IR cameras for night time use. Various recording devices and direct and wireless set ups.

Hope the asshats get busted and dealt with soon.

Spent most of the evening setting up the DVR and trying to get it online so I can monitor it with the iPad and iPhone. Did get a chance to run the 90 foot cable out the front door and played with the night vision. Fantastic picture on a moonlit night. Obviously they're not hung under the eaves yet, but we have a decent source of ambient light with a street light across the street, and our driveway/porch lights. It's a Samsung 1080p system, and it's pretty nice so far. The DVR is a little unfriendly as far as setup goes. I may end up calling tech support Monday evening. I hope it's not in Bangalore. Lol

realist
01-03-2016, 05:11 AM
AK FYI according to my son who is a real computer geek for the Feds those systems can be easily hacked. So ya probably don't want to have it so you can record anything in the house you do not want anyone else to see.............just saying.

ak474u
01-03-2016, 10:38 PM
AK FYI according to my son who is a real computer geek for the Feds those systems can be easily hacked. So ya probably don't want to have it so you can record anything in the house you do not want anyone else to see.............just saying.

I was hoping to put one in my shower. Lol. Nah, I am gonna put one inside the garage so when it's open for boy to get bikes out and when wife comes home, I have coverage to see if someone is coming in after her.

ak474u
01-04-2016, 01:43 AM
Very impressed with the video so far. I've got everything temporarily set up in the safe closet and only managed to get 4 cams up and running today. I'm hoping for 1 a day this week. Back door, and sides of house are next.

jamesneuen
01-04-2016, 03:55 PM
Ak, are you setting them up so that at least one camera has visual of each other? As in you can tell if there is just an issue with the camera vs some idiot disabling it?

jamesneuen
01-04-2016, 03:57 PM
And are you making them obvious or discreet and using hidden angles so that they can't see the camera till it sees them.

bacpacker
01-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Good questions guys.

ElevenBravo
01-04-2016, 07:23 PM
Mine are setup discrete, I only have 3 but thats enough for my plot.. Id like to have at least 1 inside... my DVR died a year ago, need to replace it...

I had a 4 channel Zmodo unit, thing worked GREAT for 5 years 24/7, easy to setup- I never did try the remote camera thing but Id like to try with the new unit.

I need get just the unit, all the cameras are already setup..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=zmodo&clk_rvr_id=961796370098&mfe=search

EB

Sniper-T
01-04-2016, 09:42 PM
I'd be interested in the details too.

and by the way, when you call one of those help lines, your first question should always be: "Where are you?" and your first statement following that should be" "I would like to speak to someone in America/Canada, please"

You may have to wait for a bit longer, but there are locals that 'help' too, and by bringing your business home, you are benefitting us all.

I have been doing this for several years!

ak474u
01-05-2016, 01:27 AM
Ak, are you setting them up so that at least one camera has visual of each other? As in you can tell if there is just an issue with the camera vs some idiot disabling it?

I've got a few overlapping fields of view. They also have a tampering alarm that once set up will email me. I climbed a ladder and put my hand over the camera while my wife watched from inside. It triggered the alarm, but I don't have the notifier set up yet.

jamesneuen
01-05-2016, 01:28 AM
How about a power outage? Do you have a battery backup?

ak474u
01-05-2016, 01:35 AM
How about a power outage? Do you have a battery backup?

I will. We've got mostly underground utilities so we don't get the usual drunk hits pole = power outage, but we do get occasional brown outs. A buddy has several UPS that are sitting around he already offered me. As far as hiding the cams, most are obscured slightly by the gutter downspouts, and the camera bodies are white with the exception of the front where the cam and illuminator are.