PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to prep this week?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16

Katrina
08-14-2016, 05:49 PM
Dome
Where can you buy a dryer for under $36k? I keep seeing them go for $36-$38 k. Supposedly the dryer will do 300-400 lbs of food a year.
Thanks

ak474u
08-14-2016, 08:03 PM
Dome
Where can you buy a dryer for under $36k? I keep seeing them go for $36-$38 k. Supposedly the dryer will do 300-400 lbs of food a year.
Thanks

Look up harvest right freeze dryers. I think they're 5-7k

Domeguy
08-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Dome
Thanks

Sorry, by AK beat me to it. Harvest Right makes a small freeze dryer that sells for about $3000 plus shipping. I had a used I was going to buy, but the seller said her phone broke and couldn't get ahold of me, so they sold it to someone else. But I am still on the fence about buying a new one. Do some research, as there are plenty of videos on YouTube. You might also want to join the "Harvest Right home freeze dryers" group on Facebook. I hope this helps you out.

ElevenBravo
08-14-2016, 10:39 PM
Fired about 120 rnds of my reloaded 223, came in at 2900fps and very accurate.
Fired about 80 rnds of my reloaded 9mm, did good, speeds were about 1050 and consistant. Accurate up close.
I am wondering if I should go to a target style JHP (for balance in flight, not for expansion), if that would help accuracy out to 25 yards.

EB

Katrina
08-14-2016, 11:17 PM
I'm already on the site , found it about 6 months ago but the price on the models started at about $3,600.00 They did a contest to win one but I didn't win :( they did a contest to win 2k towards a new one but again I didn't win. Thanks guys

Domeguy
08-15-2016, 05:24 AM
I'm already on the site , found it about 6 months ago but the price on the models started at about $3,600.00 They did a contest to win one but I didn't win :( they did a contest to win 2k towards a new one but again I didn't win. Thanks guys

Katrina, right now they are on sale with $500 off and sell for $2995 plus tax and delivery...I didn't win either.

realist
08-16-2016, 02:48 AM
Finely got my 308 working, found out the forearm had warped putting pressure on the barrel. A little wood removed and a screw shortened and it is printing again.
I am conducting an inventory of all my ammo. 30 cal ammo cans are your friend, they can only be filled with just so much ammo. 9mm 1000 rounds, 223 600 rounds, 45 500 rounds and 308 300 rounds. It is amazing how much room all those boxes took up.

Willow
08-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Harvested gallons of elderberries to dehydrate, bought new rear sight, and took a marksmanship class

bacpacker
08-26-2016, 01:03 AM
Working my fool head off mostly. This time of year we are slammed with end of fiscal year stuff and this year have more projects underway than I can keep up with. I did find out today that I may not get forced into changing positions to another group in our division after all on Oct 3. Yea

Prep wise, picked up some 30-30 brass and ammo, cleaning supplies, some electric fence supplies for next summer to keep the turkey and deer out of my tomatos and melons. I didn't harvest much of anything from them this year.
On the plus side we harvested over 3 bushels of onions. But I found out within a month that the red onion don't keep for crap. We ended up putting about 3/4 gallon cut up in the freezer. White onions kept a little better, but we are gonna freeze around a gallon of them. The yellow on the other hand are holding up nicely. We still have about a bushel or a little better and I think they will keep maybe thru fall.
Our Okra has been kicking butt. Wife has frozen 4 gallons so far. We've been eating it regularly, and still gave away another gallon or two. Other than some routine picking for eating fresh, the rest is being left to go to seed.
The jalapeno peppers have been killin it to. They are huge and great flavor. We've put up 2-3 gallons of those and have another gallon sitting on the table waiting to be worked and plenty more still on. Cayennes have done fair, but they are tiny and really hot. We always dry and grind them as needed.
Acorn squash is starting to come in, we have pulled 4 already and have another 30-40 to go. Got as few small butter nuts as well as several cantalopes.
Finally, we dug 1 row of potatos and got almost 2 bushels. The second row is about 15-20% longer so we should end up with 4-5 bushels all together.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-26-2016, 03:24 PM
Finely got my 308 working, found out the forearm had warped putting pressure on the barrel. A little wood removed and a screw shortened and it is printing again.
I am conducting an inventory of all my ammo. 30 cal ammo cans are your friend, they can only be filled with just so much ammo. 9mm 1000 rounds, 223 600 rounds, 45 500 rounds and 308 300 rounds. It is amazing how much room all those boxes took up.

Hey Brother, I'm sure you already know this but "freefloating" the barrel is what you are getting at. (harmonics)If you can wrap and slide a business card down the barrel (between) along the length of the forearm. You should be set by hand sanding, dremel tools can get away from some people and cause unwanted damage to your wood. It's a little time consuming but the rewards are obvious on the paper you print.

ElevenBravo
08-27-2016, 01:15 AM
I derped up last week...

Sold my Glock 17 to an LEO friend, spun the money toward an M&P 9.

I just shoot the M&P better, period.

So... I reckon, I hope... Im done changing religions, because this is getting to be tiresome!

Back to EDCing the M&P 40 with JHP. ;-)

EB

realist
08-27-2016, 03:41 AM
EB me too with the M&P 9. I highly recommend the Apex triggers, I have them on all of mine and work very well. You know you can convert your 40 to a 9mm too?

Back to the original post.... Been teaching a bunch, Carbine/Rifle Instructor course, Short barrel shotgun and rifle course. The nice thing is I got to go out and shoot too.

Wifey had surgery on her food to I am making sure she stays put.......its a full time job. It will be in a cast for five weeks so she should be stir crazy by then. A friend loaned her one of those scooters people use when their foot is in a cast so she can at least get around some. I'm going hunting in tomorrow afternoon, I think she is glad to be rid of me for a while.

Vodin
08-28-2016, 01:03 AM
Getting there we are :) It is coming together like I was planning. Basement Aquaponics is getting bigger in my small spot.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/650138768462013/permalink/774673686008520/?pnref=story

ak474u
08-28-2016, 02:55 AM
Got another bed ready for fall crops. Picked a few cucumbers, cut more okra, dried some okra for soups, made 13 pints of roasted pepper salsa, and 7 pints of roasted pineapple salsa. Bought some firewood, organized a few things, and finally got my 10.5 upper for my AR pistol.

mitunnelrat
09-02-2016, 04:46 PM
I picked up 3 new arrows for my compound bow yesterday. It will be my first year hunting witb it, and extend my deer season by a month. It's also a skill I've enjoyed developing.

Today I ordered the trailer suspension parts I need:. Leaf spring shackles, pivot bolts, and shocks. My bug out trailer will be rolling again in a couple weeks, and I'll finally be able to see if the mobile veterinary clinic I bought for it fits like I expect

bacpacker
09-03-2016, 01:40 AM
Finished digging our taters. Ended up with about 4.5 bushels. Also picked a few more Acorn squash.

Also getting a new roof put on our camper this coming week. The covering has a tear in it and I found a company called RV Armor that will come to the house, strip the old roof off and put a new lifetime garanteed roof on it. It is our bug out shelter so I'm calling it prep related. :)

ak474u
09-03-2016, 01:53 AM
Hanging out in the piney woods of east Texas for the weekend with the family. Prep related because if I didn't get out of town, I was gonna stroke out and die. Vacation=survival

mitunnelrat
09-03-2016, 03:35 AM
Got more done this afternoon. Broadheads for the arrows, a pile of fishing hooks for 10 cents a pack (buy it cheap, stack it deep principle). I got a 16 pound sledge hammer to up my tire PT game, and (with most of my debt now off the books) Opened a CD and credit card to rebuild my credit. That last is HUGE!

helomech
09-03-2016, 03:41 AM
Hanging out in the piney woods of east Texas for the weekend with the family. Prep related because if I didn't get out of town, I was gonna stroke out and die. Vacation=survival

Where about?

ak474u
09-03-2016, 04:25 AM
Where about?

Tyler. Hit the state park today, goofed off in minneola, gonna hit canton on Sunday. Wanted to go to the coast and let the boy see the Lexington or the Texas, but decided to go home Sunday so I can get ready for another horrid week of work.

helomech
09-03-2016, 06:05 PM
Cool. was wondering if it was near my area. I am stuck in Louisiana till Tuesday night.

AlphaTea
09-04-2016, 04:25 AM
Well, I've been absent for a while and cannot remember when I posted here last. Built up my weapons inventory and spare parts. I have enough fuel so as to not freeze this winter. Food supplies and water are adequate and I will not have to eat the dog When SHTF after this election. I am sending absentee ballots in in Tuesday. I put two 2x4 bolts on each exterior door (inside), I have 2 CO2, 2 PKP AND 6 H2O Fire extinguishers stationed around the house.
Restocked the BOB'S and GHBs with fresh water, new light sticks, new millennium bars, new batteries.

ElevenBravo
09-04-2016, 07:12 PM
Yesterday (Sat): Loaded another 100 rnds of Hornady 124gn XTP 9mm

Today: Cut grass (exercise, push mower)
Avoiding caffeine drinks (mostly soda, drinking more water, some tea: health)
Washing about 1K pieces of 223 rang pickup brass, hope to resize some of it today
-I have about 4K all together in various stages of case prep, about 500 pieces of
-223 brass that is primed and ready to load stored in an ammo can (prevent moisture
-from getting to the primers. I try to store my primers in an ammo can also

Tomorrow (Labor Day Monday): I hope to go shoot about 200 rnds of ball 9mm to
get the feel of this M&P 9.

EB

LUNCHBOX
09-05-2016, 02:03 AM
Picked up 250 rounds of Fioochi 9mm at $11.00 a box...I have a feeling I'm going to be shooting this month.

ElevenBravo
09-05-2016, 03:50 AM
Thats not a bad price for shelf bought ammo.

Its good keep keep your skills up, shooting is a perishable skill.

EB

Socalman
09-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Replenished about60 gallons of sored water. This is something I do about every 8 months or so, dump the 6 gallon containers and refill, add chlorine bleach and redate the containers. Rotated some canned food stock. (Actually did this yesterday)

AlphaTea
09-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Picked up 250 rounds of Fiocchi 9mm at $11.00 a box...I have a feeling I'm going to be shooting this month.

I really do like that stuff. It is not as dirty as the Winchester White Box and it seems to be loaded a bit hotter. I am also partial to the S&B stuff. Those and Q4318 are what I run in my 9mm ARs.
BTW, CTD has it for $9.94

realist
09-07-2016, 03:46 PM
The garden is in full swing, beans, carrots, cucumbers, squash, peppers and now tomatoes. We picked all the pears and apples. Since we had so much squash we decided to pickle and can a bunch so we did a test of 16 pints and they came out great.

Starting to rehab the planting boxes, took out the old plants and put in new compost. Prepping them for some new bush beans in the hopes of getting in one more crop. We planted too many string beans last year, this year we have planted so we have a new row coming in each week and they are manageable.

I am going to build some new planting boxes and want to have one raspberries and the other blue berries. We have strawberries all over the yard so when we need some we just go out and look.

I will be servicing the tractor this week. Got new tires for the truck and serviced it. Need to take out the generator to check its status.

ElevenBravo
09-08-2016, 12:18 AM
sold all my 9 stuff, paid bills, focusing on the 40s, they are tried and true... tired of playing "the gun game". shot the 40 in many matches, crazy reliable and accurate.

EB

ak474u
09-08-2016, 12:23 AM
sold all my 9 stuff, paid bills, focusing on the 40s, they are tried and true... tired of playing "the gun game". shot the 40 in many matches, crazy reliable and accurate.

EB

Until next week. Lol. Flip flopper!!!

bacpacker
09-08-2016, 01:09 AM

EB

AK, I was just gonna say he changes guns like some people change underware. :)

ElevenBravo
09-08-2016, 02:21 AM
sigh... i earned that.

mitunnelrat
09-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Lol.

ElevenBravo
09-09-2016, 12:31 AM
I would say, in my partial defense.. the M&P 9 did NOT shoot right, out of the box. Instead of the agony of returning it and waiting for it to come back... I abandoned the entire project, and sold it. Using the same sight picture, grip, trigger press, etc.. It did NOT fire same POA/POI consistently, most missing a 10" plate entirely. With my M&P 40, it was dead nuts same place very time.

I suspect there was a problem at the factory, however I did not have the patience to go though the process, and suffer the possibility if it being returned with a tag that says "fixed", but it never was. Bye Bye.

EB

bacpacker
09-09-2016, 12:41 AM
Just messin with you Eb. Luckily Glock was my first choice and has worked out well for me. I like the fit and it handles well for me. I have picked up a Small frame Sig and pretty much use it as my carry gun. Nice little pistol, but I still don't like it as well as my Glocks.

ElevenBravo
09-09-2016, 04:01 AM
Well, the Glock was accurate. There HAD to be something wrong with this particular one I got, a real pisser, I really wanted it to work out.

Knowing I shoot matches, if I say I had my elements right, they were right... I had absolutely zero flinch or movement at discharge, and the round would MISS the target. Pure WTF moment. Same target, same distance I have shot NUMEROUS times with various weapons, and NEVER had a miss count like this! I could still see the sights dead on target after the round left (follow though)... and it STILL missed.

It cant be my loads, its the SAME loads I shot USPSA and IDPA with and they were damn near surgical accurate.

Screw it... 180gn XTP will chew some ass up, so Ill just rock the .40 till I hit the lotto and can spend all day playing with guns.

EB

ElevenBravo
09-09-2016, 04:40 AM
teh 40 yall

video from a little over a year ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK5cEYybooE

mitunnelrat
09-09-2016, 09:36 PM
In other news (not that there's anything "new" in EB scratching his itches) my trailer parts came in today. I should have the frame reassembled this weekend, and I'll be scrounging for some steel to extend and make some mods to the frame next week.

LUNCHBOX
09-10-2016, 12:38 AM
MTR, mention your trailer to me ftf in a couple weeks and we can see what's laying around here that you might need. On the house of course.

ElevenBravo
09-10-2016, 12:55 AM
Id like to see a few pix of that project rat...

mitunnelrat
09-10-2016, 01:25 AM
Will do, LB and EB. Its not much to see yet, EB, but I'll get some pics as I go along. The donor is an M416 1/4. Iirc I did put a picture of it in original condition on the site. Somewhere...

I'd have been happier if my sandblaster had worked with my compressor at home, but it doesn't, so its still rusty. My only goal now is to get it reassembled before winter, so I can move it around easier when needed. Including to a sandblasting and powder coating shop near me.

ElevenBravo
09-11-2016, 12:10 PM
Here, you can fix your rust easy peasy

http://search.eastwood.com/search?w=rust

realist
09-12-2016, 10:08 PM
We have tomatoes, lots of them. You need to understand this is the first time in four years we have had enough tomatoes to can. I hope to get a couple dozen quarts in the next couple of weeks. We also have at least 20 honey dew which will probably come in at the same time but that is alright. The cantaloupes have ripened so we are able to get a good one every couple of days.

Well my daughter and I participated in Urban Shield all weekend.
http://www.urbanshield.org/
For those who are not familiar with it it's 48 hours of continuous operations starting at 0500 Saturday to Monday at 0500. 32 different scenarios by 32 different teams, no rest periods. It's interesting to see the different level of training and competency the teams have. It is amazing the quality between the national teams as apposed to the locals and state teams. Our was active shooter, hostage and medical components. I got a little dinged up but it was worth it.

Sniper-T
09-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Canned my first three jars of Portuguese chili peppers yesterday!

lots more still ripening on the vine

LUNCHBOX
09-21-2016, 08:07 PM
Picked up a Savage Edge in .270 (like I needed it) it's clean and looked hardly fired.

ElevenBravo
09-21-2016, 11:56 PM
loaded several rounds of various 180gn 40 with Power Pistol, need to run them over the chronograph and test for accuracy to find my pet load.

Working on building some new target stands for match type cardboard targets (USPSA,IDPA).

Socalman
09-22-2016, 02:50 PM
Given the latest news, I better get busy and order more components for reloading .223.

ElevenBravo
09-22-2016, 11:55 PM
lemme know if you need any advice socal, ive got mine tuned in pretty good. 2900 fps and bangs 10" steel plate at 50 yrds reliable as a swiss watch.

EB

gunnermax
09-23-2016, 12:08 AM
Truck is up and running after a month. Chevy 4x4 had some parts changed, cv axle and shocks. Now onto the explorer.

Picked up 5 gallon diesel and 5 gallon water jugs.

Changed out my 12 gallons of gas (i had premix for auger and chainsaw, but i screwed up the mix ratio)

more canned goods. fire extinguisher for the chevy.

LUNCHBOX
09-23-2016, 12:31 AM
Did the usual scheduled checks...rotated fuel (every six months), fired up the generator for its half hour run (monthly), picked up 20 sheets of 4x4 plywood (may come in handy), put up 15 lbs of 3" deck screws ($5.00 yard sale purchase).

Domeguy
09-23-2016, 01:06 AM
Today I picked up a used ATV. It's a 2WD Honda 250, rebuilt engine, new tires, 5 speed trans. He wanted $1000, paid $850.

LUNCHBOX
09-24-2016, 10:34 PM
Picked up a Sig .22 Mosquito for the little one to start out on. She's ok on the 10/22 so it's time to move in closer.

ElevenBravo
09-25-2016, 01:32 AM
m&p 22 for the win, same ergos as a 9/40.

good to hear young people engaged!

ak474u
09-25-2016, 02:11 AM
Finished AR pistol today. Got the red dot installed and the sling loop put on, and I'm ready for sighting in.

helomech
09-25-2016, 02:34 AM
m&p 22 for the win, same ergos as a 9/40.

good to hear young people engaged!

Sig mosquito is the same as the 229

realist
10-02-2016, 07:26 PM
I attended a three day instructor update firearms course this week. It was one of those attend and also teach classes. Got a bunch of new drills both on the flat range and out of a vehicle.

One of the highlights was a six hour talk by Doc Roberts. For those who have not heard of him. Gary Roberts is a dentist or as someone on a blog said "he is just a dentist what does he know?"
https://med.stanford.edu/profiles/gary-roberts
Well when you look at his Stanford profile is doesn't look like much. However his background goes back to the time when Marty Fackler ran the Wound Ballistics Association. When he finished his residency he trained under Fackler and did wound ballistics for several years. He is an incredible speaker and to say the least tells it like it is and is not politically correct. Attached are a couple of documents if you are interested. In the six hours I took 20 pages of notes.

http://www.dlgunsmithing.com/uploads/4/5/8/2/45825609/wound_ballistics_2013_gary_roberts.pdf

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

Socalman
10-03-2016, 05:38 AM
1. Added more water in storage
2. Added about snot her weeks worth of canned goods
3. Rotated some canned goods, using up older stored food
4. Put away some more dried beans from the garden

Just baby steps, but given ghetto amount of civil unrest that is taking place and a national election in just over a month, and earthquake warnings it is time to take bigger steps.

Sniper-T
10-03-2016, 11:58 AM
made some salsa and hot sauce...

Grumpy Old Man
10-04-2016, 12:57 AM
For the last year trying to re gain my health, get all my dental work completed and generally trying to prepare to retire in a few years. Other than that not much.

Sniper-T
10-04-2016, 11:33 AM
Made more salsa, and resealed a few of my windows, and threw a coat of paint on some other ones (frames, not panes)

AlphaTea
10-11-2016, 04:06 AM
For the last year trying to re gain my health, get all my dental work completed and generally trying to prepare to retire in a few years. Other than that not much.
Same here.

realist
10-15-2016, 04:22 AM
Went up north this week to our property. A couple of weeks ago I started to drive across a newly installed culvert and it was just a little too skinny. My truck started to slide off. So this week I extended it an additional six feet wider. This took 80 bags of sacked concrete to lock it all in and a bunch of rock. Felt good to get it done, no one in my family have been able to get across in the past 40 years. So now I have been able to find a bulldozer to put in some roads so I can't wait till this spring. Oh ya winterized our place and are expecting to get a bunch of rain. You know when you think all is good and then the rain comes. I forgot to clean out the gutters so that is the job I have got to do this weekend.

Katrina
10-18-2016, 12:25 AM
Good Job Grumpy I have 4 months left before I say sayonara to the job. Haven't done too much lately been recovering from VERY bad infection I had back end of June, suffice to say I wound up in hospital when we went to visit Son1, DIL and the kids. Came home and told bosses end of January will be my last day. DH and I discussed this all the way home from kids after I was able to go home. Neither one of us realized how run down I got
Loaned Son2 my dehydrator so he could put up some fruit. First time for them, The naners didn't go so well. I suspect the honey glaze may have been too thick or the banana slices were not thin enough. They are going to try to do fruit leathers next. We'll see how it goes. They are SLOWLY coming on board. I did pick up a Coleman camp coffeepot(makes 3 now) and a couple of firestarter steels on clearance at local store. Son 1 had his kids for the fall break so I sent DH down to be with them for a week, he got to celebrate his B Day with them. DIL and Son 1 are expecting , a girl, so that makes 5 grands for us, WHOO HOO!! His kids are excited and have started a name list starting with A. I'm not 100% yet so when I get home from work I am so tired but at least I now have my voice back, so I don't sound like a croaking toad anymore.Sucks getting old

ElevenBravo
10-18-2016, 02:34 AM
I have a friend that has access to brass, we have a deal... he brings me brass... I sort and wash it, and split it 1/2 and 1/2.
I think its a pretty good setup, I just hate sorting and washing brass, and I still need to prep my half, his will be un-prepped.

Im down 25 pounds from 3 months ago but now stuck at 229, I need to clean up my diet (I got sloppy) and start the cardio I promised myself Id already have started by now. Im still feeling better and my UC is slowly starting to improve! Very slowly, but after 12 years of misery, any improvement is great!

EB

Sniper-T
10-18-2016, 11:00 PM
Eb?? EB??? HEY EB??? You disappeared on me... lol

keep it up bud!

Kat: calm blue ocean... you'll get through it.. just a 'cold'

ElevenBravo
10-23-2016, 08:37 PM
Weight holding steady at 230, working to get past that...

Processed some range brass, have 1/2 a bucket yet to sort before I can even process that...

Lucked out on a porta-band saw, FINALLY now I am able to build some REAL projects! Ive been working the design in my head, built the first proto type target stand today. I need to get some gas for my MIG where as I could do a better job (because my stick skillz sux!). Ill post some pix of it later...

EB

realist
10-24-2016, 05:01 AM
Met with a meetup group which primary interest is off road, Ham radios and orienteering. Good group of people I think I will continue. I am trying to get more versed in Hams. I need to get my General license.

Sniper-T
10-24-2016, 12:09 PM
picked up a couple more coleman lanterns for a song. both in cases, with spare mantles. one does have a cracked globe though.

played with peppers in the kitchen for a good part of the weekend, and added some nice heat to the pantry.

bacpacker
10-25-2016, 01:13 AM
Finally located some 30-30 bullets for reloading. Otherwise, just tryin to get things done up before the wifes surgery next month.

Socalman
11-01-2016, 03:37 PM
Finally got a dehydrator. My homemade one just did not work well. Yesterday put in the first test group of apples from our tree along with a few bananas. Today I will dry some jalapenos and cayennes. Seems to have come out fine.

Sniper-T
11-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Which one did you get Socal?

helomech
11-03-2016, 02:23 AM
Got my binary trigger put in, and it works great. Going to need to practice on my trigger control to really get the most out of this trigger. But it is much better than the stock trigger even on semi mode. 4.5 lbs. Also just loaded about 300 rounds of 5.56 55 grain plinking ammo, going to load more 50 grain, and 53 grain tomorrow.

Socalman
11-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Which one did you get Socal?

I found a very gently used Nesco. The previous owner even had the original box and instruction manual. I have no also done some trial drying of jalapenos, both sliced into rings and full with the stem and seeds removed, as well as drying more of my cayennes.

I am not 100% pleased with the bananas I dried. I used a honey dip on them and I find it makes them a bit too sweet and slightly sticky. My next run with the bananas will be with a little ascorbic acid to keep them from turning brown. I am also hoping to do some beef jerky.

- - - Updated - - -

Picked up some more components for reloading .223. I still have not reloaded .223 or 5.56. Have everything on hand, though I do need to get a case trimmer.

AlphaTea
11-07-2016, 04:46 AM
Finally.
I bought a new G19 gen3 for $485 :cool:
Still need a couple of high cap mags, pistols only come with 10 round mags in NY:mad:

realist
11-07-2016, 05:14 AM
Currently doing some negotiating for a Glock 17 for $250 from a friend who just wants to get rid of it. Another guy has a Winchester 94 in 25-20 along with dies, ammo, bullets and brass. It is real weird I had a guy last week ask if I had any 25-20. I already have another 94 in the same caliber but have never really paid attention to it. The thing that kills me is the 25-20 ammo is a dollar a round and brass is the same amount. I figure I have four hundred rounds loaded with 250 rounds of new brass. The guy who has the Winchester wants to trade for a 1911 I have. I figure I have $200 in the 45 and the Winchester has a value of around $750 so I should do okay. So now I have another friend who is going to take his 25-20 and redo it in 357 magnum so I just might consider doing that too, its intriguing. Has anyone done this type of conversion?

helomech
11-07-2016, 12:11 PM
I am about to buy me and my wife each a Canik tp-9SF here real soon. Been reviewing them and I like what I see. 350 bucks and it comes with two 19 round mags, holster, and so on. I can buy 20 round mags for it. We are also going to be buying lots of steel targets so we can do more shooting.

Sniper-T
11-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Great firewood weekend... Got a cord and a half moved from the shed to my back deck to start with for winter, still have another 2 cords in the shed ready to burn. Added to that another 2 cords to finish seasoning for next year. and added another two cords to the outside piles to start seasoning for 2 years from now. A couple more days cutting, and I should be set for a full three year roatation :)

Socalman
11-07-2016, 11:29 PM
Did a full inventory on the food storage, rotated some storage food into the regular pantry and then added about another weeks worth of canned goods into the inventory -- just in case things get ugly later this week.

bacpacker
11-07-2016, 11:51 PM
Did a little shooting, and loading. Rotated some older canned storage food and will replace it with more dry goods. Gonna start rotating my fuel this week also. Wife's spent a bunch of time at the Dr's getting pretty surgery workups.

Socalman
11-08-2016, 03:50 AM
Bacpacker, what is your water storage situation? Do you have a decent supply of water on your property? We have a fair amount of dry goods like rice, beans and some other grains but our problem would be to rehydrate if an earthquake severs our water mains or extended electrical outage means the tank on the hill is not filled and it has emptied. That is one reason I have moved into a little more of the canned goods. The liquid in the cans can always be used as water.

realist
11-08-2016, 04:00 AM
Socal that is spot on. Most people do not think about the fluids in cans. I used to do a little interdiction, catching illegals along the border in another life. So many of them would carry cans of corn both to eat and drink.

bacpacker
11-08-2016, 11:35 AM
We have some water stored, I'm guessing near 150 gallons. Plus 2 neighbors have spring fed ponds and we have multiple water filters/purifiers. I also will be setting up another 600 gallons of rainwater catchment.

Canned goods are quick and easy plus don't require added water. But my rotation sucks to be blunt. I'm just tired of losing stuff. Nutrition isn't as high, caloric wise either.

Socalman
11-08-2016, 03:40 PM
BacpackWe her, it sounds like you are in pretty good shape water-wise. Right now we are good for about 40 - 45 days with stored water, not even counting the water heater tank. There is a small river about 3/4 a mile away that could provide some water, but it is certainly not potable and would have to have treatment. I have a number of 5 gallon pails that I could use to carry back and forth - as long as I have fuel for the SUV. We do keep at least 1 gallon of chlorine bleach on hand, as well as some smaller water filters. If we get into much more than 2 months of no water supply I could be in for a world of hurt. No underground water near us to our knowledge. We have a weekend vacation place in the mountains that is about 75 yards from a small underground source that is not too deep. The neighbor on whose property sits above it has said we could get some from them if we are up there. Our situation is such that we plan to bug-in. We are fairly well supplied at home and it is in a fairly good defensible position if it should come to that. At our mountain place we do not have that much stored supplies, perhaps about a weeks worth at best and it is very vulnerable from all sides.

Stormfeather
11-10-2016, 06:15 AM
Finally.
I bought a new G19 gen3 for $485 :cool:
Still need a couple of high cap mags, pistols only come with 10 round mags in NY:mad:

Hit me up if you want some standard capacity mags... I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guys cousins sisters, best friends father in law

jamesneuen
11-10-2016, 11:04 PM
Ebay is useless for mags, almost everything is limited to ten rounds.

AlphaTea
11-13-2016, 04:40 AM
Hit me up if you want some standard capacity mags... I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guys cousins sisters, best friends father in law
Thanks for thinking of me i really do appreciate the gesture. Thankfully I have some pretty good contacts in the free world and I have already received enough for a 61rd load out if I desired. AND more on the way. I usually try for a minimum of 10 mags for each weapon.
I still need to get a G19 shell from CompTac.

AlphaTea
11-13-2016, 04:51 AM
Ebay is useless for mags, almost everything is limited to ten rounds.
You have to know what to look for. They will always describe a 10rd mag but the description might give the model number for a high cap. I scored a few ETS 15rd mags that were sold as a disassembled "parts kit". You can look for key words like "double stack" or blocked or pinned (which can easily be reversed)
Also remember that all 15rd mags will hold 10rds. Know what you are looking at too, the pics can give hints.
Why would you buy mags off of eBay I'd you live in Fla?

jamesneuen
11-13-2016, 02:55 PM
I dont live in florida anymore. Moved to the upper peninsula and its hard to get supplies. All the pictures I saw on ebay had the magazines indented on the sides so the follower would only travel so far down.

- - - Updated - - -

speaking of which I need to change my profile I guess.

realist
11-13-2016, 03:51 PM
Alpha I like your style, I too try to have a minimum of 10 or more per gun also. So now the Left Coast has a ban on 10 round mags so I will just go and throw out all those evil ones in the trash when the date comes just rest assured. Until that time I am buying a bunch of 10 round mags for my kids so they can be compliant with the law, as for me well I'm old and I just don't care any more.

ElevenBravo
11-13-2016, 09:53 PM
I just don't care any more. Im riding the same bus...

AlphaTea
11-17-2016, 05:15 AM
Im riding the same bus...
Ditto

realist
11-17-2016, 01:14 PM
Well I guess you could say it is prepping, I bought a bunch of wine this week, several cases. Now there may be people who would say I should buy other stuff, but then they probably don't drink wine and don't have a wife who says it is okay to buy wine but not stockpile the things I have......one thing at a time.....

Katrina
11-19-2016, 04:54 AM
realist,
Sounds like you got a good deal. ME I picked up a few "olden times" games as the grand kids call them for the stash. You know the ones that don't require batteries or electricity. Son & DIL are working and due to somethings that happen a while ago , doesn't trust anyone but family to watch the kids. As DH is retired he's going down for the week to help out. I don't have anymore time till January AND after January 31st I'll have a LOT of time whoo hoo Retirement here I come!!

realist
11-21-2016, 04:04 AM
Retirement is much better than the brochure, congrats.

Socalman
11-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Added about another weeks worth of water and a few days of food. I like Katrina's idea of a few "olden" games. Without electricity I guess the grandkids X-Box and other things will be gone. Hmmm...bring back Clue and Monopoly in the original board style.

bacpacker
11-28-2016, 09:25 PM
A ac
Added about another weeks worth of water and a few days of food. I like Katrina's idea of a few "olden" games. Without electricity I guess the grandkids X-Box and other things will be gone. Hmmm...bring back Clue and Monopoly in the original board style.

Two games that should be included. RISK, a strategic board game and chess.

ElevenBravo
11-29-2016, 12:05 AM
Chess!

Katrina
11-29-2016, 04:59 AM
Don't forget the Checkers

ElevenBravo
11-29-2016, 10:22 PM
pffft... checkers.

Well, Im still stuck at 230lbs, goal right now is 2 even. Trying to get there...

Ive built up a nice little stock of reloading powder, I found a secret honey hole because I bought all they had over time, and they GOT MORE Power Pistol. So, Ill continue to buy more until I have excessive amount... this is only for pistol, which Ive had horrible trouble getting... Rifle powder is easy to get..

After that, I really seriously need to stock up on PRIMERS!

Bullets are the easiest to get, and also brass.

Ive been building target stands to sell to make some extra money, but wouldnt you know... Id start this project when not so good weather and temperatures settle in. Im building them with reclaimed metal that would normally be discard. They are setup to be 18" wide, the width of IDPA/USPSA targets. The first 6 I build for MYSELF. The rest I am building for sale. Weather has that at a halt right now as I only have my concrete patio to work on, wish I had a little shop or building..

Thats all for now..
EB

realist
12-02-2016, 03:57 AM
EB keep at it you will get to your goal. Excellent idea on primers. When they were short a couple of years ago I had more than I would ever need. Well I sold some to friends when they were really hurting. When they became plentiful I bought new to replace those I sold, primer rotation, .

I spent an entire day cleaning guns. I then went through and made a list, Santa, of parts I need to stock pile.

Picked up a couple of new lowers and the parts to put them together. When my daughter comes home for Christmas break,of as the left coast calls it "the Holidays", we will build them together. This way she will appreciate it more and know how to fix her gun if it breaks.

Taught three classes this week so that means I also got to shoot a bunch. I wish I did this much shooting when I was much younger. I would have liked to have gotten into competition.

Ordered a new Vortex scope, range finder, binoculars and some scope rings and picatinny rail for my Remington 700.

Sniper-T
12-02-2016, 11:03 AM
butchered a couple deer last night and added a couple cubic feet of meat into the freezer!

Mmmm venison!

:)

Domeguy
12-03-2016, 04:11 AM
realist,
Sounds like you got a good deal. ME I picked up a few "olden times" games as the grand kids call them for the stash. You know the ones that don't require batteries or electricity. Son & DIL are working and due to somethings that happen a while ago , doesn't trust anyone but family to watch the kids. As DH is retired he's going down for the week to help out. I don't have anymore time till January AND after January 31st I'll have a LOT of time whoo hoo Retirement here I come!!

Retirement...it doesn't pay very well, but at least the hours are good! I highly recommend it.

Domeguy
12-03-2016, 04:43 AM
. Two games that should be included. RISK, a strategic board game and chess.

Found out last month the new BEWBS is a Risk lover back from the old days. She just keeps getting better and better. We pulled out the Risk game she bought still in the wrapper she picked up at a yard sale. It is a newer style game, and they have "dumbed" it down and changed the rules so maybe the newer generations can play. So I picked up an older style off of eBay. And FYI, Risk has been around since the late fifty's

- - - Updated - - -

Chess!

She likes chess too!

- - - Updated - - -

Don't forget the Checkers

And checkers.

AlphaTea
01-30-2017, 04:48 AM
Inventoried and updated the GHBs for each car. Re-inventoried the ammo fort. I needed another half dozen ammo cans and got them for an ok price from a guy on arfcom @$69/6 shipped in vgc.

bacpacker
01-31-2017, 12:53 AM
Finally picked up a Honda EU2000i generator. Found a great deal on it to. Paid $879 plus about $40 for shipping. Found it here

www.agpro.com

Willie51
01-31-2017, 02:27 AM
butchered a couple deer last night and added a couple cubic feet of meat into the freezer!

Mmmm venison!

:)

i'm jealous! :)

AlphaTea
02-01-2017, 02:08 AM
Finally picked up a Honda EU2000i generator. Found a great deal on it to. Paid $879 plus about $40 for shipping. Found it here

www.agpro.com
I'm curious, why did you go with the eu2000i vs a 3k or larger gen set?

AlphaTea
02-01-2017, 02:27 AM
I bought a couple of these today:
http://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/6/681698_ts.jpg
They hold 50ft of 550 cord, it has a belt clip and a rope cutter on the side. It comes in about 6 colors, the cheapest I found was from:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/tactical-rope-dispenser-preloaded-with-50-of-550-lb-paracord?a=2099156

Willie51
02-01-2017, 03:30 AM
We got our daughter and and her family started with their food storage program. She has seen the light! :)

bacpacker
02-02-2017, 01:31 AM
I'm curious, why did you go with the eu2000i vs a 3k or larger gen set?

I mainly got it to power our freezers during a power outage. Secondarily, it will be used occasionally with the camper, and more to power tools in off grid situations.

The 2000 sips fuel and will work for 90% of my needs. About the only thing it won't do is to power the AC in our camper. Plus the 3000 was $1000 more.

AlphaTea
02-02-2017, 04:24 AM
I mainly got it to power our freezers during a power outage. Secondarily, it will be used occasionally with the camper, and more to power tools in off grid situations.

The 2000 sips fuel and will work for 90% of my needs. About the only thing it won't do is to power the AC in our camper. Plus the 3000 was $1000 more.
That makes good sense!

bacpacker
02-02-2017, 03:58 PM
The 3000 would have been my next choice. But for the money, I feel real good about what I now have. At some point in the future I may get the EU2000 Companion to mate with it should I have the need for more power.

AlphaTea
02-02-2017, 08:07 PM
The 3000 would have been my next choice. But for the money, I feel real good about what I now have. At some point in the future I may get the EU2000 Companion to mate with it should I have the need for more power.
I kind of wish I had gone this way with mine. I bought a Generac 6000 ( I think) about 15 years ago. I even put a Propane/Nat gas adapter and wheels on it. I put oil in it when I got it and to this day I have only fired it up once. Its heavy as hell and deafeningly loud. BUT I paid about $500 for it way back when. maybe I should sell it and get the Honda or a Yamaha.

bacpacker
02-02-2017, 11:03 PM
I looked at Generac and Troybilt Gensets for years and just never got a good feeling for them. Our EmComm group bout a EU2000 with our first donation to the 501(c)3 and I was so impressed, I decided I needed one. I even looked at a Generac 2k a few months back and jut never had a good feeling about them. But after much thought about my needs, the Honda will cover a good deal of them.
I have found a tri fuel adapter that will allow me to use gas, propane, and nat gas. Between 3-400 bucks, but would be much easier to store fuel for. May go that route depending on what I can find for fuel usage with propane.

Domeguy
02-03-2017, 04:00 AM
Since I'm spending a lot of time in AL these days, and especially since the new girlfriend is also down with the idea of prepping, I'm taking several back packs and a camel back down with me tomorrow. I am going to get with her to set up a BOB for the both of us for AL, and teach her what and why I'm putting in the specific items into them. As a newly introduced prepper, she is wanting to learn a lot. I have been teaching her to shoot, and within a month or two, hopefully I will take her to pick out her own personal carry weapon. And all this spring and summer, I will be teaching her how to start a fire, how to cook outdoors, some basic first aid, etc. But most importantly, later this month, I will be introducing her to BWRR and LadyHK for their approval. If it's a no from them...well... then she has got to go! I'm sure going to miss her....but maybe there might just be a small chance.

Caveman Survival
02-04-2017, 07:52 PM
Ok... here's a summary. It's not in the past week but it's why I have been quiet for he past couple of months...

In November I rented some land about an hours north from where I live. It was the last bit of good weather so I was in a rush to build a nice little A-frame shack on it 10' wide x 12' deep and 11' high. I have spent every day off since out there getting it ready. This past week I finally got the wood stove installed so I'm not freezing my yeitchies off next to a propane heater buddy.

Around he house I have just been dehydrating, vacuum sealing and canning. I have been experimenting with metal casting and different solar configurations for my shed. Throw in some wood working and leather crafting and I have just been having fun and practicing my bushcraft skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bacpacker
02-04-2017, 09:46 PM
Good to hear from you Caveman .

Katrina
02-13-2017, 11:40 PM
Haven't done much last month as we did 2 trips to GA to see grand kids and help Son1 and DIL pack up the house. They were in line to purchase but deal fell thru. Don't know if anyone will recall years ago a company made siding that was horrendous and went bankrupt paying off lawsuits, yeah the house was covered in the stuff. Son got quotes $50k+ to do mold remediation and new siding and windows. TOO much over the cost of the house, they just couldn't swing it. It's a shame as it was a 5 bed two story house. So they decided to keep renting and add to the deposit fund. Week after we got home he called, their realtor found a 5 bed home , new build to rent for not much more rent then they are paying now.It has a community pool(huge) tennis , basketball courts and a community hall for rent. SO of course they jumped on it AND now grandma doesn't have to sleep in the basement anymore or travel 2 flights of stairs to go to the ladies. As DIL is at 7 months and can't do much, we went back down and helped them pack the house. It was a blast. they found stuff they thought DIL had donated, unfortunately Son1 got my Dad's packrat gene so there was a ton of stuff to sort thru. Day before we left they got the keys and took us over. Gorgeous house, very well laid out and the Grandparent room is on the main floor with a full bath attached. Then we came home and took down Christmas. Yeah It kinda got left till we could do finish it. At least the tree went out day after we came home the first time and DH got the outside put away. This last week I cleaned out ALL of my business clothes. DH and I took 5 bags full to Goodwill as NONE of the women's shelters that keep asking for business clothes called me back, BUT I still have more clothes to go thru as I "outgrew" things but hung on to them HOPING I would "shrink" LOL. Guess I'll be fat and sassy from now, tee hee.
DH cracked "Yippee I get my half of the closet back". Got one bedroom cleared out and rearranged to hold the Pack N Play for after March when kids come home with the newest grand daughter. Can't wait for that.
Hope all is well with you all and have a Great Valentines Day

Sniper-T
02-14-2017, 01:39 AM
Ok... here's a summary. It's not in the past week but it's why I have been quiet for he past couple of months...

In November I rented some land about an hours north from where I live. It was the last bit of good weather so I was in a rush to build a nice little A-frame shack on it 10' wide x 12' deep and 11' high. I have spent every day off since out there getting it ready. This past week I finally got the wood stove installed so I'm not freezing my yeitchies off next to a propane heater buddy.

Around he house I have just been dehydrating, vacuum sealing and canning. I have been experimenting with metal casting and different solar configurations for my shed. Throw in some wood working and leather crafting and I have just been having fun and practicing my bushcraft skills.

Awesome CS! did you snag that place you were talking about in the interlake? congrats!

Stormfeather
02-15-2017, 01:14 AM
So, as many of you know, Ive been working on building a Winter Warfare course for the US Army. We have completed it, and ran our proof of concept course, and we are now pushing it forward with multiple classes scheduled with multiple units and branches! I even threw in my own little spice to the course! Heres the newspaper articles (WITH PICTURES!) on it!

http://www.mccoy.army.mil/vnewspaper/newspaper/realmccoy/Current/CWOC.html

A backstory on how it came to be...

http://www.mccoy.army.mil/ReadingRoom/Newspaper/RealMccoy/20170210/history.html

Caveman Survival
02-22-2017, 02:06 AM
Awesome CS! did you snag that place you were talking about in the interlake? congrats!

Yeah I was able to pick it up. Pretty happy with it. Learning a lot about my capabilities and limitations... which was the goal of it all in the first place

realist
03-20-2017, 07:42 PM
Just got back from Costa Rica, interesting place. Helped a friend Brand, castrate and vaccinate 56 head of calves, started my garden. Picked up 1,000 pounds of brass which I started sorting to get money for steel for the range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlphaTea
03-22-2017, 04:43 PM
I kind of wish I had gone this way with mine. I bought a Generac 6000 ( I think) about 15 years ago. I even put a Propane/Nat gas adapter and wheels on it. I put oil in it when I got it and to this day I have only fired it up once. Its heavy as hell and deafeningly loud. BUT I paid about $500 for it way back when. maybe I should sell it and get the Honda or a Yamaha.
I had forgotten I wrote in this thread.
About 2 weeks ago, we had a major storm come through my area of New York. We were without power for 4 days. The Generac worked very well, I only powered a fridge, a standup freezer and two electric space heaters. The space heaters were supplemented by 2 Buddy propane heaters (a big buddy and a portable buddy). I used 12 1lb bottles.The generator ran for a little over 8 hours on a 5 gallon fill up. I ran it on the gasoline because I had plenty and I had the foresight to fill up my automobiles brfore the storm hit. At the height of the storm there were about 150,000 customers without power. It was about a week until everybody was taken care of.

bacpacker
03-22-2017, 11:47 PM
AT, that's a good test right there. I saw that storm system pass thru. Guess I never thought about you being in the middle of it. Sounds like preps all worked well. Glad the genset performed like you planned.

I've ran mine once for about 30 minutes for exercise. Planning to run it a few hours this weekend with the camper plugged up and run a bunch of stuff to see what won't work with mine. I know the AC is out.

Pretty much just tryin to cut up and clean up 4 pine trees that got the tops broke out of in a windstorm. That and getting strated on the garden.

Katrina
03-23-2017, 04:41 AM
I bought an emergency light kit for Son 1, brought it down as a gift. As we were "greeting and meeting" our newest grand daughter a big storm hit GA last night. When we got back to the house the entire subdivision was out. Called son to let him know power was out and we were breaking out the light kit. Don't know what made me get the kit but glad we had it. Power went back on about midnight but that was so funny. Son will be looking at getting a generator(if any available) now that they are home with the baby.

ak474u
03-26-2017, 03:37 AM
Planted 28 mater plants, and 16 pepper plants today. Focusing on buckets right now because I'm gonna reconfigure my raised beds. I've got most buckets that I started last year planted, (50 or so) I have room in the bucket corral, which looks like a raised bed with cedar walls for about 85 buckets, so more buckets are in my future. Last week we planted 2 more honey berries, 3 more loganberries, 3 more raspberries, 1 more Viking aronia, 1 more goji, 4 more sweet Basil.

bacpacker
03-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Ak, how well do you like the honey berries and loganberries? Production, taste?I have considering getting some of both for here.

I planted 3 rows of onions yesterday. Probably 500 or so. I kept out the smallest slips to put in trays and either transplant them after they get some size to them, or just eat as sxallions.

ak474u
03-26-2017, 10:55 PM
Ak, how well do you like the honey berries and loganberries? Production, taste?I have considering getting some of both for here.

I planted 3 rows of onions yesterday. Probably 500 or so. I kept out the smallest slips to put in trays and either transplant them after they get some size to them, or just eat as sxallions.

Never had honey berries.... lost 2 of the 3 last year, and Stark Bros replaced them this year. Funny thing is, the survivor from last year is thriving, and so are the replacements, so maybe this year. We just wanted hardy, and different types of stuff, so we decided to give them a shot. We have 3 loganberries that will make this year, and just put in 3 more for next year. Loganberries are tasty, kinda have a raspberry/blackberry combo taste.

bacpacker
03-26-2017, 11:35 PM
Well that goes on the list for this fall. Gonna get more blueberries from them as well. Been thinking about trying the pink lemonade type.

ak474u
03-26-2017, 11:42 PM
Well that goes on the list for this fall. Gonna get more blueberries from them as well. Been thinking about trying the pink lemonade type.

Somehow we murdered our blueberries. The pink lemonades made a few berries, and they were good. I think the pre-emergent or weed killers got to my blueberries, that or it's just too hot here.

We have 3 Nanking cherries that will make for the first time this year, they're beautiful plants when in bloom, and seem to winter well.

bacpacker
03-26-2017, 11:48 PM
We had some cherries for a while, one tree produced loads then they all died off. Never did figure what went wrong. They are on the list to replace as well.

ak474u
03-27-2017, 12:41 AM
We had some cherries for a while, one tree produced loads then they all died off. Never did figure what went wrong. They are on the list to replace as well.

Nanking are tiny sour cherries, this is year 3 and they're just producing because we cheaped out and bought tiny ones to start with.

ak474u
03-27-2017, 02:41 AM
Planted 28 mater plants, and 16 pepper plants today. Focusing on buckets right now because I'm gonna reconfigure my raised beds. I've got most buckets that I started last year planted, (50 or so) I have room in the bucket corral, which looks like a raised bed with cedar walls for about 85 buckets, so more buckets are in my future. Last week we planted 2 more honey berries, 3 more loganberries, 3 more raspberries, 1 more Viking aronia, 1 more goji, 4 more sweet Basil.

And..... the garden just got the snot beat out of it by a monster hail storm. My new gutters, and freshly stained fence, and probably my roof are damaged. No water in the house (yet). We have a second wave coming tonite, hoping it goes north a little.

bacpacker
03-27-2017, 10:07 PM
That sucks real bad. Slight risk we get some tonight.

We had a bad one in 2011. Trashed 2 cars, garden, bunch of trees, and the roof, siding, gutters on the house. Roof on the camper. Hail is bad news. Go9d luck.

Twitchy
04-24-2017, 07:29 PM
I just finished the preliminary setup this week for a rooftop sprinkler system right in time for fire season. Works off of both the well irrigation system, as well as the houses city water supply.

Sniper-T
04-24-2017, 11:13 PM
and so... everything perennial has been blooming beautifully... and today we had 6" of snow...

band head here...

Domeguy
04-26-2017, 06:05 AM
and so... everything perennial has been blooming beautifully... and today we had 6" of snow...

band head here...

Everything perennial has been blooming beautifully here in Tennessee also...and today it was 75 degrees...huh!

Domeguy
04-26-2017, 06:21 AM
Don't know if I mentioned it earlier, but I purchased a used 1974 Chevy Class C RV late last year...I know, I know, I'm a Ford man. It has a 350 moter, with only 10,000 miles on it. It's seen better days, and has had some serious water damage to the camper.
I'm gutting the insides, and redoing the entire roof, some of the side walls, and redesigning the layout of the camper. It had a twin bed, but I'm changing it to a queen, moving the bathroom, complete rewiring and plumbing throughout, putting in a new propane instant hot water heater, taking out the kitchen stove, (who ever uses the oven in one of these things), putting in a new 2 eye burner, new microwave, reuse the sink, and move the kitchen up front. The Ginny needs some work also, but I'm also converting it for solar power and running some serious battery power. I'll post pics as I start to redo the new stuff. Still doing the demo, and seeing what needs to be replaced first. They wanted $2500, but I paid $1800...I may have overpaid.

Sniper-T
04-26-2017, 04:17 PM
looking forward to the reno thread!

bacpacker
04-27-2017, 12:44 AM
That sounds interesting Dome. Look forward to what you come up with. If the drive train is good, and at 10k it should be, you got your money's worth.

I planted 2 more PawPaws tonight. I also have blackberries, some more apples blooming. Most of my blueberries have small berries under the blooms. Taters, onions, and cabbage all looks great. Need to work the taters and onions real well and fertilize them. We had almost 3" of rain this weekend and expect more tomorrow. hopefully it will dry up enough to work this weekend.

Vodin
04-28-2017, 12:01 AM
Just finished planning out the garden. Growing starter plants in the basement. They are ready to be transplanted into the 3rd set of containers. Expanding on the Aquaponic setup in the basement as well.

Sniper-T
04-28-2017, 03:39 AM
got some pics?

Katrina
04-30-2017, 05:34 AM
Nothing much. Got a raised camp grill for the fireplace. 6 year old grandson asked me if grandpa and grandma camp out and cook hot dogs and s'mores in fireplace. Told him no, sorry we haven't yet. He said Could we do it "one time" (his words) he doesn't like ALL those skeetors when they "camp out" in the back yard. I think this summer we'll "camp out" in the living room and cook hot dogs and s'mores with them. Will be a good chance to practice those rusty camping skills. Nothing like "camping out " in the air conditioning HAR HAR HAR.

realist
05-02-2017, 02:09 AM
Split a bucket with a friend containing 1,400 rounds of once fired Hornady 308 brass. I cleaned and weighed each piece so now I have plenty for my projects.

Made a dump run. Picked up four yards of planters mix. When I get back from my trip this week I will pick up 10 more yards.

Bought an Eagle's Nest hammock, bug net, rain fly and straps. Going to try them out this Saturday. I have been buying lots of gun parts. Rebuilt a couple of Glocks, I am replacing the sights on the M&Ps and Shields. I have two 1911's I will be sending out to Robar Guns to gone through, all the internal parts are being replaced with Wilson parts.

Did something I have not done for years, I sold three rifles and one handgun. I figure I have a bunch more to sell and they will pay for all my upgrades to my guns.

Sniper-T
05-05-2017, 12:51 AM
I cannot wait to hear the review on the hammock...

Kat, get him hooked, and then introduce the bug spray. He'll be an outdoorsman yet...

Vodin
05-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Making mental notes for planting pre Mothers day (which is a large no huge FooPah in CO) this will work!

Katrina
05-06-2017, 07:12 PM
Will do Sniper, he was having problems with the bug spray but as he's getting older it's not bothering him too much. Don't worry he (and little sis) would rather be outside ALL DAY AND NIGHT if mom & dad would let them. Went to an Estate Sale Friday. Went for a particular item, they were showing in their pictures(professional company doing the sale), a mantle scarf for the fireplace that WASN'T holiday themed. Don't laugh I think a mantle scarf dresses the mantle up. While I was there found a luggage rack you see in hotels for the back bedroom. Christmas I move the end tables and coffee tables out of the living room to make room for the dining tables. Son 1 used the frame of a side table (metal rack with glass top) to park their suitcase on so DIL didn't have to get down on the floor to unpack, she was still pregnant. He destroyed it, they felt really bad but I told them it was not an expensive table, (It was a really cheap set we are always re tightening the screws but it did the job) and we were getting rid of it anyway as we were downsizing the furniture. I also got a manual coffee grinder in really great shape. DH looked it up on line , it's a reproduction made in the late 60's and it works great. Went to a neighborhood yard sale and got clothes for grand daughter # 2, lots of kids books and a COMPLETE Lincoln Log set with intact instructions for the toy pile at grandma's.Now that I'm retired(lol) I can go to the estate sales on the FIRST day and snag good stuff. Yard sales around here are usually yuppies with puppies and they have beat up kids clothes and semi broken toys and what I call just junk. Occasionally I snag useful stuff. It's stuff they may have gotten from their grandparents via their parents. Canning jars, manual kitchen tools, tools etc. Stuff they should be keeping but don't.Their loss my gain. Have good week and don't forget your moms, those still here and those gone next Sunday.

Sniper-T
05-10-2017, 02:36 AM
Awesome Kat.... some amazing scores there!

Katrina
05-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Yup DH is excited Now I just have to get the coffee beans for him to play with but gotta use up the can we just opened first LOL

Kesephist
05-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Maybe I am the only one noticing... there seems to be little if anything about long term storing coffee, or coffee substitutes other than chicory or toasted grain.

Any thoughts?

Instant coffees these days tend to run to plastic jars with one time vacuum seals. The "BEST USED BY " dates seem to run about 12 to 18 months, depending. As I have been a coffee drinker for over 40 years, this has been an important subject to me.

Daca102090
05-11-2017, 11:50 PM
There is a place I found online that sells cans of nitrogen packed green coffee beans.
Also have directions on how to roast the beans for traditional coffee.
Stored green is supposed to last much longer than already roasted beans.

Katrina
05-12-2017, 03:43 AM
According to what I have read and the TV commercials Taster's Choice is the only freeze dried coffee and it comes in glass jars . Am holding some in the lower pantry and will test it over the year. Daca , you got a web address? thanks. I "mainline" coffee LOL DH loves his Lipton's instant tea so I've been stocking up on that too.

Illini Warrior
05-12-2017, 11:53 AM
According to what I have read and the TV commercials Taster's Choice is the only freeze dried coffee and it comes in glass jars . Am holding some in the lower pantry and will test it over the year. Daca , you got a web address? thanks. I "mainline" coffee LOL DH loves his Lipton's instant tea so I've been stocking up on that too.

freeze dried coffee - and freeze drying in general - came out of the US space program .... it'll last 20 years without any problems ....

I've been stockpiling $1 jars of coffee from Dollar General - best deal in the whole damn store ....

Illini Warrior
05-12-2017, 12:01 PM
Maybe I am the only one noticing... there seems to be little if anything about long term storing coffee, or coffee substitutes other than chicory or toasted grain.

Any thoughts?

Instant coffees these days tend to run to plastic jars with one time vacuum seals. The "BEST USED BY " dates seem to run about 12 to 18 months, depending. As I have been a coffee drinker for over 40 years, this has been an important subject to me.

that 12-18 months on freeze dried coffee is BS - if it makes you feel better you can always re-pack in mylar .... I'm leaving mine in the small jars for possible trades - give it a couple of months and a jar can get you quite a few egg layers .... coffee is either South America or Africa right now - it would take years - if not forever - to get that trade re-established ....

realist
05-14-2017, 04:36 PM
Finished sorting my final bucket of brass, another 250 lbs to the recycler. If nothing else I got about 10,000 45s out of it.

Planted our garden, or at least some of it. In the past we would wait for good weather and plant seeds. Well this year we are actually doing it correctly. We planted tomatoes, beans, squash, carrots and melons last month in pots, it worked!!!!! This way we are not at the mercy of nursery or big box stores. We purchased all our seeds from a local seed bank which had a huge variety of seeds. I think we have about seven different types of tomatoes alone. With all the new soil in we should get some great vegetables.

We also top dressed our asparagus with fresh soil, I can't wait till next year when we begin to harvest it. In looking at this as well as our potatoes these are the things which will keep producing even if we do not plant a garden. I call it our reserve pantry.

Tried out my new Eagles Nest hammock camping last week. It worked great however I think I am get the extra wide just for more comfort. Also since it can get quite cool even during the summers I think I will pick up an under quilt too. The nice thing about this system is it is more compact than my sleeping bag and tent.

Vodin
05-15-2017, 10:38 PM
Mother's Day arrived. A few plants were planted. Got strawberries, tomatoes and green Rhubarb planted. Some in containers and some in soil. All is taking position and working within it environment. Well maybe the rhubarb is not happy with the transplant but got a red pushing hard. Snow most likely inc on Thursday so holding of on planting the peppers at this point. The basement Aquaponics are currently on hold I need to buy some plumbing fixtures and it is currently not allocated in the budget. Working hard on becoming a entity with no debt.

Socalman
05-18-2017, 06:59 AM

I will start stocking up with a few jars to TC tomorrow! A few jars here, one or two there and all of a sudden you have built a supply!

realist
05-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Been teaching a bunch this week. The nice thing is I have been getting in lots of shooting over several days.
Purchased 1000 feet of T-tape as well as lots of drip parts to stock away for the garden.
Turned over the two compost piles, each is about 10 yards of material, it has finally dried out enough to turn.

Domeguy
05-29-2017, 07:19 AM
Been working on the RV, and the Adderall still has me up, so at 2AM, I made 5 gallons of laundry detergent. I wish I was hooked on Internet porn like everyone else so I would have something else to do...maybe the air in the pickup tires needs changing...

Sniper-T
05-29-2017, 11:35 AM
busy busy... planting gardens, rebuilding lawnmower, cutting grass, breaking lawnmower, repeat.

Illini Warrior
05-29-2017, 04:59 PM
Finished sorting my final bucket of brass, another 250 lbs to the recycler. If nothing else I got about 10,000 45s out of it.

Planted our garden, or at least some of it. In the past we would wait for good weather and plant seeds. Well this year we are actually doing it correctly. We planted tomatoes, beans, squash, carrots and melons last month in pots, it worked!!!!! This way we are not at the mercy of nursery or big box stores. We purchased all our seeds from a local seed bank which had a huge variety of seeds. I think we have about seven different types of tomatoes alone. With all the new soil in we should get some great vegetables.

We also top dressed our asparagus with fresh soil, I can't wait till next year when we begin to harvest it. In looking at this as well as our potatoes these are the things which will keep producing even if we do not plant a garden. I call it our reserve pantry.

Tried out my new Eagles Nest hammock camping last week. It worked great however I think I am get the extra wide just for more comfort. Also since it can get quite cool even during the summers I think I will pick up an under quilt too. The nice thing about this system is it is more compact than my sleeping bag and tent.

if you can get some well heeled manure that asparagus can use a few feeding every season - it's quite the chow hound feeder

Daca102090
05-29-2017, 05:48 PM
There is a place I found online that sells cans of nitrogen packed green coffee beans.
Also have directions on how to roast the beans for traditional coffee.
Stored green is supposed to last much longer than already roasted beans.

This is the site for the canned green coffee beans
https://www.campingsurvival.com/futureessentialscannedcoffeebeans.html

bacpacker
05-30-2017, 12:20 AM
Worked out about half of my garden, while trying not to mar up in the mud. Tomatos, peppers, onions, and taters are all making well. We have lots of small apples, pears, and our first nectarines. Blueberries, blackberries, mulberries, and grapes all are looking good. Blueberries will not be nearly as prolific as last year.

On the down side, we had a bad storm Saturday night. It blew down/broke 4 trees. Driving around the area for the last couple days, there are trees down everywhere. Many roads were closed, at peak over 75,000 homes had lost power. Last I heard they had that number down to less than 5000, mostly 1 here, 2 there. I don't think there were any serious injuries, but there was a lot of damage to peoples homes/property. And a ton of clean up left to do.

Stormfeather
05-30-2017, 03:12 AM
Had a Tornado run thru the area last week, somehow ran thru a mobile home park (go figure) and destroyed all of it except one home. So spent the rest of last week and some of this week helping out there as a volunteer on clean up. Got home Friday and helped set up for the pool party I had planned on from last week before the storm craziness. Today, spend time out at the cemetery talking with some old friends and then taking my family to the local Memorial Day parade and dedication afterwards. The wife (Dragonfly) was asked to carry the Navy flag during the ceremony, which to her was awesome! Needless to say, I was proud of her. We was the only military there that was in uniform besides the base chaplain, and the garrison commander. Seems to me there was more in uniform last year.
Next week I plan on looking into setting up the fencing for the back yard, and futzing around a bit here and there, will see where the wind blows me. I had plans back on the 19th to go out to Vivos Xpoint open house in South Dakota, but got waylaid due to the storms. Its an interesting setup the guy has, and hes extended an offer to me thats somewhat hard to resist, so was supposed to check it out, we will see where that goes if I follow thru.

Katrina
06-01-2017, 04:07 AM
Well Shed is built and siding is up, now for the paint and lock for the door. Laundry room should be completed by next Tuesday, then new washer & dryer gets installed and old ones recycled. Next step reorganize the lower "pantry"(More supplies , YEAH) . DIL and Grands will be here the 15th for a few days ,then to other grandparents for a few . The kids go to the mother for her vacation the 23rd till July 9th. DIL and I head south the 24th so I can take care of her and new grand baby after DIL's back surgery. Will be back week after 4th of July so I maybe dark end of June to after the Fourth, unless I can use Son's laptop. Have a good Fourth my friends and stay safe.

Stormfeather
06-02-2017, 06:27 AM
Well Shed is built and siding is up, now for the paint and lock for the door. Laundry room should be completed by next Tuesday, then new washer & dryer gets installed and old ones recycled. Next step reorganize the lower "pantry"(More supplies , YEAH) . DIL and Grands will be here the 15th for a few days ,then to other grandparents for a few . The kids go to the mother for her vacation the 23rd till July 9th. DIL and I head south the 24th so I can take care of her and new grand baby after DIL's back surgery. Will be back week after 4th of July so I maybe dark end of June to after the Fourth, unless I can use Son's laptop. Have a good Fourth my friends and stay safe.

Thanks for the update, be safe as always.

realist
06-02-2017, 01:28 PM
My daughter and son came home over the weekend. It's the first we have been able to see them since Christmas. Since my daughter turned 21 two weeks ago she is no longer the DD. Her birthday present was a starter kit, S&W M&P full size and a shield, a Remington 700 in 243 and 870. We went shooting, wine tasting and ate some great food. It was nice to have them home. Although it is kinda depressing when they leave.

Dug up some of the old water lines to the garden and I am rerouting them for efficiency. I have six yards of planters mix and 10 yards of shredded bark coming today. Turned over the compost piles, they are looking real good.

This is vehicle week. Got to smog a couple of vehicles, service the tractor and rebuild the mower deck on the lawn mower.

Kesephist
06-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Ordered new connector box for the radios and other 12V stuff (RigRunner 4005H)

( http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=rr_4005h_c )

bacpacker
06-02-2017, 08:29 PM
WEST MTN RADIO IS A GREAT company. Rig runners are really good equipment.

Katrina
08-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Got back last week from Aunts funeral and was contacted by 2nd brother . He's looking to raise funds so he offered up great grandfathers coin collection (1890s-1950s) before he sold to an outside collector. Me and another brother wanted so it per Pop's instruction , trustee put our names in a hat and 2nd bro was the lucky one. DH wasn't too happy with the extra outlay this month but agreed that collection should stay in the family. Just hoping before something happens I can get it here. No sending thru mail as when trustee sent it to him per U S Post instruction about $500.00 worth of coins came up missing. Brother took pictures of the boxes and yeah someone cut them open and tried to say they were"damaged" in the mail.. SO DH and I have to go out west to get them.Most are 90-95% silver and a lot of copper. After 6-8 months of wrangling Brother only got about $300. in insurance money . That only covered the Morgan Peace dollar that was valued 7 years ago at $300.

AlphaTea
08-09-2017, 07:52 PM
This year I planted 6 stalks of Silver Queen Corn. Ears are starting to form and it looks like there are about 13 ears so far. I planted 8 Okra plans and have just started to harvest some. They should continue to produce until late September or first frost. I bought another 10/22 (#5), and bought a case of LC M193 for $240 after $50 rebate. I must admit it is a bitch to cut to 50 UPC's off of perfectly good boxes.

Socalman
08-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Though I have been away from the site for a bit due to a busy schedule, we continue to be at work. Rotated some stored gasoline into vehcicles and replaced with fresh gas and stabilizer. Drinking water was rotated out and replaced with fresh water/chlorine. I added a little more water storage and feel that we are good for a solid 6 weeks, after that we couldl be getting thirsty!

Garden harvests have been on the lower side this year, due to what was planted. Anyone know of a good way to put eggplant away?

The local bear and racoon population are taking a toll on our fruit trees. We are keeping a close watch on the apples (Fuji variety) and will make one or two large harvests on them as soon as they are ready and will can, dehydrate as much as possible. Two years ago a bear cub got up into the tree and destroyed a good portion of it by breaking limbs.

Vodin
08-16-2017, 12:55 AM
Went to Anchorage, Alaska this last weekend. 4 Days with 6 hours of sleep. Went salmon fishing and kayaking along a glacier. Lotta walking and scouting out possibilities. (Between you and me) Wanna move there.

Little vid of the run down

https://www.facebook.com/vodin/videos/10209414218612980/?hc_ref=ARTE-gzwmpNMXld3nVdRGZzrCq9XFbqOILDdQTVI9vXfWPaDdlX8QOG lON0mMDdyJIw&pnref=story

Kesephist
08-16-2017, 07:17 PM
Finally broke down and got a Costco membership... and HOLY $#|+ !!!!!!!!!!!!! I wondered about how I was gonna deal with beans n rice...

bacpacker
08-17-2017, 01:42 AM
Vodin, I am so sorry you didn't enjoy your trip! LOL

ak474u
08-17-2017, 11:36 PM
Canned meats, rotated food, bought a little more ammo, cleaned pantry, finished deck roof and about to sell myself some gutters for the deck for water collection.

Katrina
08-20-2017, 03:37 AM
Went to an estate sale and snagged me not one but TWO US Army wool blankets. They have the medical symbol in the middle of the blanket and U S on either side of it. They may or may not be from the Korean war, at least from what the person running the sale told me that the gentleman who passed had been in the Korean war. Had a lot of bits and pieces from that era but nothing I could use, a lot of chochkies. Got to have them dry cleaned but they are all virgin wool in excellent condition, no holes.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-20-2017, 03:12 PM
Snagged a great deal on our classifieds, ammo and mags. Thanks STG1(SW) Ret!

Stg1swret
08-20-2017, 04:20 PM
Glad to have been able to help.

Vodin
08-20-2017, 07:22 PM
Vodin, I am so sorry you didn't enjoy your trip! LOL. Alaska is constantly calling out my name. I must go…

Illini Warrior
08-20-2017, 07:28 PM
Went to an estate sale and snagged me not one but TWO US Army wool blankets. They have the medical symbol in the middle of the blanket and U S on either side of it. They may or may not be from the Korean war, at least from what the person running the sale told me that the gentleman who passed had been in the Korean war. Had a lot of bits and pieces from that era but nothing I could use, a lot of chochkies. Got to have them dry cleaned but they are all virgin wool in excellent condition, no holes.

good chance those blankets were 5-6 years older - the Korean War was all WW2 retreads ....

Katrina
08-21-2017, 12:16 AM
Cool My FIL and uncles time then. Wasn't able to snag the ammo cases or the footlocker as I was 15th in the door. Couple of guys that deal in military items grabbed them Glad I was able to get the blankets before them then.

Vodin
08-29-2017, 11:13 PM
Canning, Garden Growing and Aquaponic creating :)

Katrina
08-31-2017, 12:38 AM
DH planted a few tomato plants end of May per instructions but for some reason they never took off until last month. I may get some tomatoes by October to dehydrate LOL

Katrina
09-17-2017, 05:41 AM
Got a pressure canner Friday. DH saw it in local store for under 90$ Now just got to get the hot plate burner to cook on. Don't think I want to chance using the glass top stove. Would rather pay the $180 for the cast iron one I saw on Amazon than spend $400-$500 on a new stove.
Oh yeah flooring is done but when I went to do laundry Tuesday the pipe connecting the new laundry room sprang a leak. SO we've had the fans going since Tuesday to dry up after DH pushed the water to the clear out valve for sewer in that room Only problem is all my old costumes and Klingon outfits were in the room, hope I can salvage them and still get them out on CL.Wish me luck LOL

Socalman
09-19-2017, 03:48 AM
Ordered solar chargers for our cell phones. They will be kept in the vehicles. If needed when we are home, they are easy enough to grab, but if we are out on the road and they are home whtn shtf, not so easy to grab!

Preparing to dehydrate lots of Fuji apples tomorrow!

bacpacker
09-19-2017, 01:49 PM
What kind of chargers did you get. I am seriously looking for some and haven't found anything I am sold onyet. I do want them for radio battery charging as well as my pnones.

Kesephist
09-19-2017, 07:31 PM
A lot of chargers these days are using USB or micro-USB connection. Solar ones, I would guess, are using some proprietary connection that requires a further adapter (which they just happen to sell for $$$$)

I"ll be very glad for the K-tor pedalpower generator that is supposed to be coming out that is SPECIFICALLY designed for charging deepcells. My rig will work on the brute of a testing battery I have, true enough. But that's going through a charger from the generator, one more step for losses to creep in on, one more failure point.

bacpacker
09-19-2017, 10:56 PM
Not all this week, more like the past month. I dug 3 rows of onions, harvested a total of 4 bushels. Traded 1/2 bushel for 1.5 bushels of taters. Bought 2 bushels of Jonagold apples, so far have put up 30+ jars of apple butter and 8 jars of pie filling and still have half a bushel or so to go. We always used winsaps or honey crisp for apple butter before, but I think it'll be Jonagold's from now on. Much better taste IMO. I am gonna try and find some trees to plant to replace some others I planted that have died off.
Also still harvesting cayenne and bell peppers. Those should continue up till frost. Harvested 24 butternut squash and a few watermelons. Still hoping to get a few cantaloupes.

Socalman
09-20-2017, 01:00 AM
Earthquake country here and we are overdue for a BIG ONE in the catagory of 7.5 and up. Recent small quakes have happened in the general radius of 100 miles and there have been a few good sized ones here on the eastern side of the ring of fire, so I have stepped up a bit. As some of you may know from my previous posts, at the present time I do not see FEMA moving into California very quickly or with a very large force. We have to be ready, isn't that why we are on this forum? To that end I have:

Added 6 gallons of water storage, 20 lbs of rice and a few canned goods.

Kesephist
09-20-2017, 05:00 AM
I'd add a zero to the water, 5X the rice, throw in a 25# sack of pintos, and add a flat or two of mixed vegetables, maybe a 24 pack of tuna (water not oil), a Sawyer filter, and a big bottle of multivitamins.

Socalman
09-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Kesephist, remember that I said I ADDED that amount to our stores, not that it was our basic prepes.

Kesephist
09-20-2017, 04:44 PM
I understand, and stand by my recommendation.

I've been worried to bits about folks that are in areas with compromised water supplies...I may have stated it before, but the twin evils of post-hurricane life are typhoid and looters. I'm not sure how long typhoid inoculations last, but I'm hoping that the medical communities around Houston and Florida were well stocked up. Earthquakes will screw with water treatment plants too, so I would additionally recommend getting up to date on typhoid shots, and finding a doctor imaginative enough to prescribe some storable azithromycin.

Katrina
09-23-2017, 07:02 PM
Let's see After much discussion and advice, I picked up a Camp Chef 2 burner propane stove to use with my canner. reviews on it were pretty good. Got it at Dick's with the carry case for it. They had a $20 off coupon so the total we've spent for the canner, etc. was under $200. DH very happy and I can't wait to start learning the intricacies of pressure canning.(I'm being facetious LOL) Seriously DIL and I will be learning to can together. They are supposed to come by and get some apples off the trees soon, her two (6 and 4) have been "waiting and waiting and WAITING" for Grandpa's apples to get ready for them to pick LOL
We are off to attend Son1's kids "Grandparents Day " down by BR and ladyhk. So we'll be meeting up with them and we're going to FL to see family down there so I may not be on site too much over the next 2 weeks. House/cat sitter is ready to go so I can't wait to get on the road.

Kesephist
09-27-2017, 04:12 AM
Won a Yaesu FT-817ND on the 'bay.

Illini Warrior
09-27-2017, 12:48 PM
found something over the weekend at a garage sale that I've been looking for a few years now - big 3 burner Coleman white gas stove - like new in the box - extra gas tank - and it was at the right price for once - $5 ....

our family had one as a kid - burners are spaced far enough apart that you can actually work three skillets/pots or use a flat griddle across two and use the third for that extra pot ... not an eazy item to haul around but great for a temp kitchen ....

Kesephist
09-27-2017, 01:18 PM
I'd suggest getting the propane adapter kit as well.

Illini Warrior
09-27-2017, 03:34 PM
I'd suggest getting the propane adapter kit as well.

got all kinds of propane gear - that 3 burner I would probably run direct off a tank .... the 2 burners can run split off a propane pipe tree along with a propane gas lantern for kitchen lighting ....

Katrina
09-28-2017, 12:56 AM
Awesome find Illini.

Socalman
09-28-2017, 05:21 AM
found something over the weekend at a garage sale that I've been looking for a few years now - big 3 burner Coleman white gas stove - like new in the box - extra gas tank - and it was at the right price for once - $5 ....

our family had one as a kid - burners are spaced far enough apart that you can actually work three skillets/pots or use a flat griddle across two and use the third for that extra pot ... not an eazy item to haul around but great for a temp kitchen ....

Years back we camped with a family that had a 3 burner gas stove. They are very cool. As Kesephist suggested I would get that propane adapter.

Socalman
11-26-2017, 10:31 PM
Getting the physical body back into shape. I have dropped almost 20 pounds since mid September.

Stocking up on some reloading components.

Illini Warrior
11-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Years back we camped with a family that had a 3 burner gas stove. They are very cool. As Kesephist suggested I would get that propane adapter.

I'm big on the propane end of prepping - for the kitchen area I use a "tree" that I DIYed - vertical pipe coming off a 20lb BB size tank - couple of "Ts" midstaff for running auxiliary gear like a stove and the topper is a gas lantern ....

if you're looking to do some propane DIYing - Mr Heater company has a full assortment of the complete hose attachments but also the individual propane fittings ....

if you're out & about and see a propane BB garbaged - usually the tank isn't there but the hose attachment is - a single hose with a regulator and the all important tank fitting (approx $10 retail) - sometimes they split the hose into a double feed with a "Y" fitting .... pays to keep a 10" adjustable wrench handy ...

once and a great while you might get lucky and find a grill with a quik-connect tank fitting - important propane fitting to have in your prepper stock in the case of SHTF salvaging tanks .... finding even a partial filled tank and not being to access would be a pizzer ....

Kesephist
11-30-2017, 12:52 AM
Another 50# bag of rice, a 25# bag of pintos and a 25# bag of red beans. Getting the FM 2000, and scales to start making vacuum sealed 1 lb rations of the stuff. 75 per 5 gallon bucket. A resealable quart Ziploc full of vitamins, and a similiar resealable of buillion cubes for flavor.

Advice?

Kesephist
12-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Update: got the Foodsaver FM2000 last night & the scales. Didn't know that either rice was that cheap, or beans that pricy. And on review gonna go for 60 lb per bucket, not 75. An extra bucket to futz with, aye. Gonna go for the gamma lids, too. The pound ration will be 8/6/2, rice/pintos/red beans.

Katrina
12-02-2017, 03:54 AM
Kes,
Don't know if you have a source for the seals but I got seals from this place.http://freckleface.com. they also sell the buckets and a few other things as well
Katrina

AlphaTea
12-02-2017, 05:05 AM
+1 on Freckleface.com for Gamma seals and buckets in quantity.
Just recently I bought 4 green buckets and matching Gamma seals fromhttps://pleasanthillgrain.com/preparedness/buckets-lids for another project.
Also remember that it is not necessary to put a Gamma lid on each bucket. Ideally you would want them I only on buckets you are using. When you finish off a Gamma sealed bucket of beans, you can just open the next bucket of beans that was sealed with a much cheaper single use lid, and shift the contents to the bucket with the gamma lid. I have NOT been successful at removing a gamma seal ring from a bucket. They are built to last.

AlphaTea
12-02-2017, 05:32 AM
Just recently I bought 4 green buckets and matching Gamma seals fromhttps://pleasanthillgrain.com/preparedness/buckets-lids for another project.
Also remember that it is not necessary to put a Gamma lid on each bucket. Ideally you would want them I only on buckets you are using. When you finish off a Gamma sealed bucket of beans, you can just open the next bucket of beans that was sealed with a much cheaper single use lid, and shift the contents to the bucket with the gamma lid. I have NOT been successful at removing a gamma seal ring from a bucket. They are built to last.

Illini Warrior
12-02-2017, 02:20 PM

100% correct - for food create a bucket "pantry" after you crack open your various food long term storage buckets - I utilize the ability to buy a color mixed batch of Gamma lids .... that food needs to be protected from rodents, pests and the outside environment more than EVER - but you need eazy daily access - thus the screw top opening Gamma ....

another handy hint - you can buy zip lock type mylar bagging for closing the food up during a SHTF usage - better to get a quantity of the office supply binder clips and clinch that bag roll up - I've found the zip locks not to be fully bullet proof ....

some preppers like to buy the expensive Gamma for their long term buckets that are being created for permanent 10/15/20/25 year storage - Why?? - 3-4 times the $$$$ - put the $$$$ elsewhere into your prepping ....

another reason for using a standard locking lid vs Gamma for permanent storage - damage - they can't take a stacking load like a conventional lid - that food grade bucket is a critical part of the overall long term storage system ....

Kesephist
12-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Got a local source... not THE cheapest per unit, but I can pick them up, and reduce shipping worries. And while it does sound as though a sound notion in execution, I'm going with anything that needs sealing will be gamma'ed, in case I can't find a bucket wrench. (Got three of the damn things floating around.)

96 aawu

Kesephist

KI7CIL

AlphaTea
12-03-2017, 04:31 AM
Wifey just reminded me that we recently saw white Gamma Seal lids in our local Lowes. The price was $7.28 each.
THAT is cheaper than just about every where else.

Illini Warrior
12-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Wifey just reminded me that we recently saw white Gamma Seal lids in our local Lowes. The price was $7.28 each.
THAT is cheaper than just about every where else.

you don't have the Menards chain out East - but they started carrying both the Gamma lids and certified food grade buckets - big sellers for them ....

Illini Warrior
12-03-2017, 02:03 PM
Got a local source... not THE cheapest per unit, but I can pick them up, and reduce shipping worries. And while it does sound as though a sound notion in execution, I'm going with anything that needs sealing will be gamma'ed, in case I can't find a bucket wrench. (Got three of the damn things floating around.)

96 aawu

Kesephist

KI7CIL

if you need to get into a long term storage bucket - good chance a serious SHTF is afoot - last thing to worry about is a bucket lid lifter - that's what a hatchet is for ....

Kesephist
12-04-2017, 08:05 AM

96 aawu

Kesephist

KI7CIL

if you need to get into a long term storage bucket - good chance a serious SHTF is afoot - last thing to worry about is a bucket lid lifter - that's what a hatchet is for ....

Hatchet, machete, and 14" channel lock pliers, all in the kit

95 aawu

Kesephist

KI7CIL.

Vodin
12-05-2017, 12:58 AM
Started to make Mead in the most Natural of manors as possible. Got 2 (1) gallon jugs brewing. Gotta love having some home made brew on hand and the knowledge of how to get more!

bacpacker
12-05-2017, 01:12 AM
How about a thread for that Vodin? I'd love to hear what you have went and done!

Stormfeather
12-07-2017, 05:23 AM
Scored some hypothermia kits from a medic group, think pocket warmers, but human sized!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-08-2017, 04:06 AM
Scored some hypothermia kits from a medic group, think pocket warmers, but human sized!

I like body mittens.

ak474u
12-09-2017, 02:26 AM
Active shooter class tomorrow, 1st of a series for my church safety team, we already did the bleeding response course, tomorrow is pistol training, I'm going for the trigger time, about 8 of the other 13-14 guys are needing the training. I expect to learn something, the guys running the course are a 27 year green beret and an AF SP (both members of the safety team)

orangetom1999
02-22-2018, 04:03 PM
Bought a large box of these Granola Bars. I want to replace them in the Tupperware containers in my various vehicles.

IN these Tupperware containers is a kit...flashlight, knife, fire starting kit...lighter...antiseptic ointment et al....etc..but the granola bars in there are over a years olde.

I have no idea how long one can keep those granola bars but figured it was time to replace it...in each of my three vehicles.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Illini Warrior
02-22-2018, 09:44 PM
Bought a large box of these Granola Bars. I want to replace them in the Tupperware containers in my various vehicles.

IN these Tupperware containers is a kit...flashlight, knife, fire starting kit...lighter...antiseptic ointment et al....etc..but the granola bars in there are over a years olde.

I have no idea how long one can keep those granola bars but figured it was time to replace it...in each of my three vehicles.

Thanks,
Orangetom

the energy bars store better - best of all are the lifeboat rations - 10 years plus under even the most adverse storage conditions ....

orangetom1999
02-23-2018, 05:40 PM
the energy bars store better - best of all are the lifeboat rations - 10 years plus under even the most adverse storage conditions ....

I did not know that. Thanks for that information.\

Orangetom

Katrina
02-25-2018, 08:55 PM
Well nothing much to report. Am clearing out the chest freezer in the "lower pantry, almost done. Don't ask, blood pressure already too high LOL DH's friend called AGAIN wanting him to go down to FL. Told him GO!!, so I am putting him on a plane Monday to have a mini vacation from the weather here. We got a really cheap flight , one way so He's heading off(and outta my hair LOL)
Had a strange thing happen last Thursday, I was sitting at the table working on the lap top, got up to get some coffee and noticed a young guy walking past the front of the house. DH came up from basement,I said someone is coming around back of house. He went out on covered deck, young man was VERY surprised to see him there and started to say he was from XYZ window company looking to schedule quotes. Problem he didn't have any company logo or name tag or even any brochure or a clipboard. Was dressed in filthy carhart overalls, knit cap that had seen better days. DH said not interested so he took off. I called the company and was told that First they NEVER have any one go around to back of house and all their people have name tags, company logo'ed wear and clipboards and brochures. Second,if they don't get an answer when doorbell is rung, they leave a brochure and go on to next house and third it's too close to the Home And Garden Show in a week. I said thought so and called our sheriff, who just happens to be an old classmate of Son1, He said don't worry Mrs.O I'll take care of it because we don't call them unless absolutely necessary, sheriffs car showed up about 3-4 mins later going thru subdivision. Don't know if that kid,(I say kid but he was probably in his late teens early 20's) was scared off or escorted out of neighborhood because we had to go to an appointment.IT was unusual because it was just before school was let out. Most of the companies don't come around till 4-5 pm during the week or just on the weekends.
Oh I did make 3 loaves of whole wheat bread, turned out so good.
Now don't tell DH I am going to try and completely quit smoking this week. Lord love him but he's tried to "help" me in the past but only manages to tick me off, so with him gone I am hoping to be smoke free by next Sunday.PLEASE PRAY FOR ME!!!

Illini Warrior
02-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Well nothing much to report. Am clearing out the chest freezer in the "lower pantry, almost done. Don't ask, blood pressure already too high LOL DH's friend called AGAIN wanting him to go down to FL. Told him GO!!, so I am putting him on a plane Monday to have a mini vacation from the weather here. We got a really cheap flight , one way so He's heading off(and outta my hair LOL)
Had a strange thing happen last Thursday, I was sitting at the table working on the lap top, got up to get some coffee and noticed a young guy walking past the front of the house. DH came up from basement,I said someone is coming around back of house. He went out on covered deck, young man was VERY surprised to see him there and started to say he was from XYZ window company looking to schedule quotes. Problem he didn't have any company logo or name tag or even any brochure or a clipboard. Was dressed in filthy carhart overalls, knit cap that had seen better days. DH said not interested so he took off. I called the company and was told that First they NEVER have any one go around to back of house and all their people have name tags, company logo'ed wear and clipboards and brochures. Second,if they don't get an answer when doorbell is rung, they leave a brochure and go on to next house and third it's too close to the Home And Garden Show in a week. I said thought so and called our sheriff, who just happens to be an old classmate of Son1, He said don't worry Mrs.O I'll take care of it because we don't call them unless absolutely necessary, sheriffs car showed up about 3-4 mins later going thru subdivision. Don't know if that kid,(I say kid but he was probably in his late teens early 20's) was scared off or escorted out of neighborhood because we had to go to an appointment.IT was unusual because it was just before school was let out. Most of the companies don't come around till 4-5 pm during the week or just on the weekends.
Now don't tell DH I am going to try and completely quit smoking this week. Lord love him but he's tried to "help" me in the past but only manages to tick me off, so with him gone I am hoping to be smoke free by next Sunday.PLEASE PRAY FOR ME!!!

oldest scam in the biz - my area is experiencing all kinds of home & car burglaries - some car thefts .... it's not usually single individuals - at least a couple and sometimes a car load .... lots of pre-scamming involved - driving into subdivisions and checking out makes of cars and looking for likely home targets .... these daytime scammers have multiple IDs they use to give them excuses - clipboards, hardhats, safety vests, ect ect - cops caught one that had 6 different IDs from electric company to poll taker - was wanted on a few felonies to boot ....

if you see suspect cars & people call the cops to check them out - nothing lost - everything to gain ....

orangetom1999
02-26-2018, 04:57 PM

Wow!!! Yummy...that even smells good just thinking about it Katrina!!!!

Thanks,
Orangetom

Katrina
02-26-2018, 08:07 PM
Thank you OT I'm trying to convert our diet to more natural, (Non GMO) foods.

orangetom1999
03-04-2018, 04:04 AM
I don't remember If I posted this or not but a lot of things have happened in playing catch up around here since I started getting over this cold bug which has been going around.

I stayed home from work for three days and coughed till my chest and back hurt.

I drank a lot of Blackberry Brandy...to get my system down to where I could get some deep sleep. ..or rest....unplugging the phones etc etc.

I am finally thinning out the cough which seemed want to hang round a bit.

But I got a low level alarm on my stocks of Blackberry Brandy from the ABC store and hence bought four pint bottles of it and put it away.

I am not really much of a drinker at all ....I have a can of Fosters Australian beer which has been in my fridge for almost a year now.
But when I get to feeling ill with the cold bug I am not beyond having a meal and a few stiff drinks and going to bed.

One of the few times I do much drinking.

I think that as a teenager working in a Military club overseas..and seeing how many people get when they are drunken...was a good experience for me. I never took to drink as did so many I know.

But when I feel a cold or such coming on ..I am not beyond breaking out the Brandy.

Stocks have been replaced and ready for duty when needed.

Thanks,
Orangetom

bacpacker
03-04-2018, 11:22 PM
Do you buy the brandy already with the black berry, or make your own? E&J Brandy is about all I drink when I do. It is good to cut a cold and cough with. I like putting a small glass in the microwave for a few seconds to heat it up. Really seems to open my sinuses up for a bit.

Domeguy
03-05-2018, 02:15 AM
Welcome to the forum Orangetom. Good to hear you are starting to feel better. I to an not much of a drinker, I’ve had a bottle of honey JD in the freezer for 3 yrs just waiting for me to get sick...still healthy tho damnit.

orangetom1999
03-05-2018, 03:39 AM
backpacker,

I buy the already made blackberry brandy. I like the blackberry best..though at times I have purchased Apricot or peach brandy. Warming it in the microwave sounds like a good idea...I shall have to try that when next I am ill. So doing..in the microwave...makes sense to me!!

Domeguy,
Hmmmmmm....I too am not much of a drinker and I expect that has saved me a lot of trouble over the years ...let us say...as compared to the career drinkers I have known.

yes...definitely when I feel bad.

I have policy or practice..I don't drink and operate machinery.
I don't drink and carry concealed ...or reload ammunition...or go to the shooting club when drinking.

I also don't want drunks around me..I have babysat to many of them in my lifetime to want to do it anymore.
I do not like to be around people who cannot handle their drink.

They will pull your membership at our gun club if they find you drinking and handling a gun.

They will let you drink all you want...but don't let them catch you handling a gun/firearm...they will cancel your member ship on the spot and tell you to leave....and rightly so.

Also Domeguy..I'd not thought of putting honey in my alcohol..I shall try that as well....when next I am ill. I like honey on many things.

Gentlemen,
Thanks for your posts,
Orangetom

bacpacker
03-06-2018, 12:18 AM
OT, Don't run the microwave more than 10-15 seconds. A little honey mixed in it would be very nice.

orangetom1999
03-06-2018, 05:21 AM
OT, Don't run the microwave more than 10-15 seconds. A little honey mixed in it would be very nice.

The more I think about it ..Honey...seems like a natural to go with many things...even medicines.

Thanks,
Orangetom

bacpacker
03-07-2018, 01:12 AM
It's good mixed with some lemon and a glass of tea. Very soothing for a sore throat.

orangetom1999
03-07-2018, 01:05 PM
It's good mixed with some lemon and a glass of tea. Very soothing for a sore throat.

Hmmmmmm......Wow!!

I've not considered that as well. I like some lemon concentrate juice in a glass of ice...and then add some water....I like it in that manner. I'd not considered adding Honey ...and yet I have honey aplenty around here.

Thanks for making me aware of that concept Backpacker.

Orangetom

Domeguy
06-23-2018, 05:08 AM
I stopped at a Good Will store in Scottsboro on my way down to AL. I found a triple dome tent, a large 14x14 main dome, with 2 smaller 10x10 domes joined on either side of the large one that could be put all together, or seperately to make 3 tents. It didn’t have a price, so I took it up front and asked how much. I was expecting to hear $60-80. When she said “would you pay $10?” I said yes I would! I looks like it’s only been used maybe once.

Illini Warrior
06-23-2018, 04:54 PM
I stopped at a Good Will store in Scottsboro on my way down to AL. I found a triple dome tent, a large 14x14 main dome, with 2 smaller 10x10 domes joined on either side of the large one that could be put all together, or seperately to make 3 tents. It didn’t have a price, so I took it up front and asked how much. I was expecting to hear $60-80. When she said “would you pay $10?” I said yes I would! I looks like it’s only been used maybe once.

I find asking them if they'd accept "X" amount of $$$$ to be best at the donation type sales >>>>> and make it reasonable to low ....

Kesephist
06-25-2018, 02:51 AM

He shoots, he SCORES! DOME with the hat trick!

To give you a scale on how well you did, WM 12 person 20'x10' footprint roughly as you describe, but with a 10'x10' core and two 5'x10' non-detachable wings, goes for $199 new.
You got just about twice the footprint, and extra versatility for about 5% of the cost. Even at the expected $70, you were STILL way ahead.

WELL DONE, SIR!

Kesephist
06-25-2018, 03:09 AM
OH, and as to prep... got half a dozen of Coleman's answer to the P-51/FRED can opener.Looks much like the Aussie FRED.

2die4
06-26-2018, 02:19 AM
Usually, when you have the customer name their price, it is way more than what the salesman would have said. I picked up on that in my years of retail sales.

orangetom1999
06-26-2018, 04:05 PM
Picked up some reloading supplies this weekend when On my way to a Island cottage on the next peninsula over for the weekend.

I verily like this store as it usually has what I want and the staff is very down to earth and friendly in that manner.

Picked up

One box of .410 caliber Hornady XTP bullets in 210 grain for my .41 Magnum....100 count

One box of 100 count .308... 150 grain spire points Hornady,

And one box of .375 caliber bullets Hornday XTP ...in 158 grain for loading into .38 Specials or .357 Magnum cases...100 count,

Will be returning to pick up another box of .357 diameter bullets in 158 grain Hornday XTP...100 count

Also another box of 150 grain .308 Spire points Hornday...100 count

Looking also to get a box of 230 grain plated round nose bullets in .452 diameter for reloading .45ACP....500 count.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Kesephist
06-30-2018, 12:30 AM
Picked up some reloading supplies this weekend when On my way to a Island cottage on the next peninsula over for the weekend.

I verily like this store as it usually has what I want and the staff is very down to earth and friendly in that manner.

Picked up

One box of .410 caliber Hornady XTP bullets in 210 grain for my .41 Magnum....100 count

One box of 100 count .308... 150 grain spire points Hornady,

And one box of .375 caliber bullets Hornday XTP ...in 158 grain for loading into .38 Specials or .357 Magnum cases...100 count,

Will be returning to pick up another box of .357 diameter bullets in 158 grain Hornday XTP...100 count

Also another box of 150 grain .308 Spire points Hornday...100 count

Looking also to get a box of 230 grain plated round nose bullets in .452 diameter for reloading .45ACP....500 count.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Tom,

Winchester, with their M-22 rounds, uses a blackish hard copper for their plating. Are your .452's similarly plated?

K

Katrina
08-20-2018, 06:55 AM
Sorry I haven't been on much this summer. We lost all the maters due to blossom rot, learning experience for us. Everybody around here has lost their peas due to the heat. Salad greens have gone nuts, got about 10 cuttings from the plants. Gave some to the lady that does my hair, she wanted more but the plants have bolted. Now waiting till the seed pods form for next year, carrots are going good. Got 6 peppers off the ( 2 free) plants DH got AND they have more buds, so hope we can get more before it gets too cold here. Did get more canning jars, they were on sale plus I had coupons for two dollars off every case, SCORE!! It worked out to less than $3.00 per case. DH and I went to an estate sale (part 2 of this sale) got a lot of new towels, brand new for bath room for VERY little, hot pads and mitts. My mitts and pads are 15 years old, worn out, can't patch them any more,so DH says "Maybe it's time to replace them " LOL. He didn't get a change to snag some of the the totes the sale had. A lady said she was moving and took all the the good sized ones. The owner passed a few months ago and she was a hoarder so there was a TON of stuff there. MANY,many multiples of things. She had Christmas, all holidays, tons of unopened packages of bed linens,curtains and bath towel sets, dishes , costume jewelry, etc. DH said she put my dad, the King of the pack rat hoarders to shame with all the stuff she had stuffed in the pole barn and two story house.

bacpacker
08-21-2018, 02:04 AM
Mostly been gardening in my free time from work. We've already put up 2 dozen jars of maters, almost 4 dozen jars of pickles. Wife's been freezing okra, I think 7 gallons so far. Froze 4 big bags of bell peppers and a gallon bag of jalapenos. Also harvesting butternut, acorn, and patty pan squash, cantaloupes, watermelons, cabbage, kidney beans. Hope to dig my onions this weekend. That is if the rain hasn't rotted them in the ground.

Katrina
09-09-2018, 06:30 AM
Went to a Family Preparedness Expo today put on by one of the counties near me. Very interesting, met a younger couple and their 10 year old daughter that are prepping and exchanged contact info.They said they are concerned with what's been going on for the last few years so they decided to try and become more self sufficient. Met a lady that calls herself the "Canning Diva" and got some good advice about canning. Met someone that is part of a preparedness group north of me, was invited to the expo they are hosting end of the month. Looked them up and it's looks to be a large one, supposedly there are about 50 different vendors and lecturers so I'll be going to that end of the month. I saw them on Prepper Shows.com. Called a friend who lives there, she said they had done one last year and it was pretty good, no she doesn't prep (normalcy bias) but she said she had fun when (her "nutty" as she called him) cousin dragged her to it. So I'll let you all know how it was. I brought home some literature from today's expo and DH has been perusing it, so maybe there's hope for him yet. He actually pointed out an article Consumer's Report had on Get home bags and a couple of other articles on being prepared, imagine that.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
09-12-2018, 06:25 PM
Built, sanded and sealed my control board for the solar power, 4'x8' sheet of plywood, in the new "AMB" Agricultural Maintenance Building. Then once I've installed all the appropriate pieces on the board, I'll be ordering batteries. More to follow

realist
10-02-2018, 03:58 AM
I'm in the process of helping to put together a new range. We have a general purpose 100 yard shooting area with a more formal 600 yard range. I have about a dozen pieces of old reactive steel. All of our target stands are pretty beat up. We are also going to be welding up another 24 target stands. I just took delivery of 5 pepper poppers from MGM targets. Hopefully after the winter rains we can finish it up. We are looking to adding two plate racks, 12 knock downs, several stationary and at least 5 to 7 more poppers. The steel is being financed by our spent brass which we recycle. It is a shame we can not find a source to buy for reloading. Right now I have about 1,500 pounds of mixed 9 mm, 40 cal, 45 acp and 223 brass in my garage which I am going through and cleaning all the junk out. The nice thing is when this range is in operation there will be limited use but I will have access whenever I want.

Sniper-T
10-02-2018, 03:17 PM
Just got the first 6 quarts of salsa canned. More to come on the weekend.

realist
10-04-2018, 01:50 PM
I'm currently at the Remington Armorer school in Salinas (armpit) Ca. The 870 is an easy system to work on but I need the cert renewed. The nice thing is I get 50% off msrp one gun from Remington. Next week I will be shopping!!!

Katrina
10-08-2018, 03:17 AM
Went to the expo last week end, think I posted elsewhere ,was a bit disappointing as half the vendors didn't show .Got some good information and met a few like minded people.Came home re energized(been a bit down lately). went this week end to university annual fruit and veggie sale. Came home with a flat of Roma tomatoes, a huge butternut squash,acorn squash and some peppers. They had as well as EVERYBODY around here tons of apples Haven't finished getting ours off the trees yet has been raining something awful here last two weeks so most of the apples are still on the trees. Monday we are processing the maters and it should dry up pretty good beginning of the week so we can get the ladder set up safely and get the rest of the apples, we're going to be VERY busy this next week. I'm still somewhat restricted,so DH will have to get the pots on the stove, lift the jars AND screw most of the rings on for me. We also celebrated our 44th anniversary last week. I got a new water canner OH and a beautiful bouquet of flowers. It's official I gave DH two boxes for his present. It's the Chantix I started today so far so good no reaction(allergy wise). Just pray I DO NOT react badly to this stuff. Will let you all know how I am doing in the next 2 months.

helomech
10-08-2018, 01:05 PM
Careful with Chantix, I had some crazy shit going in my head when I was on it. Had to stop taking it. I quit cold turkey 8 years ago.

Katrina
10-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Thanks helo, Tried cold turkey twice but due to me being a hyperactive person(per my doctor, mother , grandmother) started to develop an ulcer. AND YES, my doctors do call me "Abby-normal". I had the chicken pox twice as a kid and then freaked my doctor out,caught them again as an adult. He believed it's due to the Lupus but couldn't actually prove it.
Forgot to add. Just did up the tomatoes, very disappointed about a third were bad (no can't get money back). Got 7 pint and a half jars cooling , rest were cooked down for sauce , got 2 pints and a half pint. Half pint is in fridge , couldn't get it to stop floating in the canner. Called my aunt and she said just use it up as you cooked it already, should be fine. Gotta believe her as she's been doing canning for over 40 years now.