PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to prep this week?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]

hardsun
10-09-2018, 12:47 PM
Bought more propane and went the gun range. Going to be canning tomatoes soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

orangetom1999
10-10-2018, 01:42 PM
Wow...

All this canning talk...reminded me.

I need to get another tiller..as I loaned out my Troy built and the engine got burned up..

I wont be loaning out my tiller or any other such gear again. They can rent one ....if needed.

I gotta stop being a nice guy and or "Rescuing" people..when they can go and rent equipment....or even buy it.

Nonetheless...a tiller is on my bucket list in the future.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

Illini Warrior
10-10-2018, 09:27 PM
Wow...

All this canning talk...reminded me.

I need to get another tiller..as I loaned out my Troy built and the engine got burned up..

I wont be loaning out my tiller or any other such gear again. They can rent one ....if needed.

I gotta stop being a nice guy and or "Rescuing" people..when they can go and rent equipment....or even buy it.

Nonetheless...a tiller is on my bucket list in the future.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Not an Ishmaelite

I don't even lend out a screwdriver anymore ....

Kesephist
10-11-2018, 02:25 AM
Purchased two Ruger EC9s's. Took one to the range in Tullahoma and went thru a run through of what one has to do for a concealed permit out here.

Blue and yellow target. 12" x 18" "B-29'' type. Yellows are 2 pts, Blues 1 and whites are 0.
One fires 20 rds at 3 yards, 20 rds at 5 yds, and 10 at 7 yds. 70 pts is a pass.

Cold out of the box, never fired, and me with years since I fired any 9mm, I got a 98.

I'll have to wait, though, as apparantly I have to have a year's residence in TN. Fine. TO say that I am pleased is an understatement.

Oh, and purchased GV beef-vegetable soup with two year shelf life @ 75¢ a can. Pull tab lids, so I don't have to wear out my FREDs.

Katrina
10-12-2018, 03:24 PM
Quick update on the Chantix. Did fine Saturday night and Sunday night, however Monday night/Tuesday morning had a full blown panic attack at about 5 AM. Found myself on my back deck portion outside in my pj's. REALLY bad dream, hyperventilating and broken out in hives. You all will get a kick out of this, I was dreaming that Mr. Spock (A Caricature of Leonard Nimoy as Spock,) trying to smother me with a navy blue Saturn shaped pillow. DH said I had been coughing a lot during the night. Spent about 2 hours cleaning my kitchen till I could call my doctor. So we are going to try something different that doesn't cause the nightmares BUT I am continuing to cut back on the number of cigs I am smoking. My goal is to be completely smoke free by my nephews wedding (in Vegas) next month. Thanks in advance for the support!!

realist
10-15-2018, 01:44 PM
Just completed the Remington Armorer school for the 870. I needed to get my CERT updated. The nice thing is I get 46% off one gun so it it time to shop this week.

I made eight VTAC targets this week. I changed the design by taking two and attaching them together by hinges. This way I do not have to have all the side supports. By using the hinges it is self supporting.

Sniper-T
10-19-2018, 06:43 PM
Actually 2 weeks ago now...

Started a Keto diet, and an exercise regime. Time to get back into some semblance of shape other than round!

helomech
10-19-2018, 07:34 PM

Started a Keto diet, and an exercise regime. Time to get back into some semblance of shape other than round!

Been doing keto for over 2 years now, feel so much better.

Sniper-T
10-20-2018, 02:44 AM
What's the best pizza dough recipe?

helomech
10-20-2018, 07:50 AM
What's the best pizza dough recipe?

Join my wifes facebook group. Tons of great recipes.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BodiesRUs/

- - - Updated - - -

This one makes a great French bread pizza
https://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-soul-bread-recipes/?fbclid=IwAR2XAlk0QSoKJNBBcUCvQB1WiX0zTHlbv9aOu2fK hlyFEgUbX-ybcrfjYPY

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-20-2018, 03:17 PM

Hey now that it's legal up there you can go on a full blown Keto binge!

As far as preppin goes, been packin and gettin ready for the big move to the new "compound." Solar power is in progress, just not enough hours n a day!

eagle326
10-20-2018, 05:51 PM
Hey now that it's legal up there you can go on a full blown Keto binge!

As far as preppin goes, been packin and gettin ready for the big move to the new "compound." Solar power is in progress, just not enough hours n a day!

Time ain't nothing but a thing. You can sleep when you die Chief. ;)

Run Low Drive On

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-20-2018, 06:23 PM
Bought more propane and went the gun range. Going to be canning tomatoes soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hey ANT, so did you shoot the propane bottle and puree the tomatoes? I'm laughin right now, hey WELCOME ABOARD!
Couldn't resist the comment, the wife said you should've heated the tomatoes first (I stand corrected, first roasted and then pureed) with the propane. Enjoy yourself here there is lots to review with past posts.

ak474u
10-21-2018, 04:35 AM
Been doing keto for over 2 years now, feel so much better.
Almost 2 years for me too. Down 50lbs and keeping it off. Wife lost 35 and keeping it off. Cheated a couple times a week the last 2 weeks, so bout to hit it hard again Monday.

helomech
10-21-2018, 06:23 AM
Almost 2 years for me too. Down 50lbs and keeping it off. Wife lost 35 and keeping it off. Cheated a couple times a week the last 2 weeks, so bout to hit it hard again Monday.

I cheat once or twice a month. Eat what ever I want for that day

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-21-2018, 02:37 PM
Yesterday LadyHK and I were invited to an annual cookout in the new "neighborhood" and met pretty much all the "Tribal Elders" in the county. Moore county is pretty small, I'd guesstimate about 60+ people showed up. Made many new contacts and got the pulse of the people. Many shooters and preppers. Good time and great food, all cooked over a nice big fire. You should have seen the cast iron caldron full of stew! Yummy! I had four bowls............

Very informative, who does what, where and why. I think we're gonna like it there.

Sorry you weren't invited DG, I'll have to change that for next year. I wasn't going to be rude and invite other people to come with us not knowing what we're getting into. I'm sure they were sizing us up as well.

Domeguy
10-22-2018, 12:22 AM
I’m sure it was just “lost” in the mail.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-26-2018, 05:00 AM
Had DG over to asses the solar panel so I can make a parts list and get the thing wired up and ready to go. Also tried out DG's hooch, all three actually. EXCELLENT!

ak474u
11-25-2018, 04:50 PM
Drying basil in the dehydrator this weekend. On my 3rd batch now. Probably gonna make a pint jar at best, but that will last us quite a while. I don't have a spot for plants to winter inside, so I just cut them down and bagged them up at first freeze. Harvesting Pequin peppers today as well.

bacpacker
11-25-2018, 11:49 PM
Sounds like a nice harvest AK. Couple questions for you. What are the Pequin peppers? Are the hot or mild, bell or banana type? Are they heirlooms or hybrid? If heirloom, would you be interested in swapping some seed for something I have? I'm always looking for some new heirloom peppers to try out. Never heard of those before.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
11-26-2018, 02:42 PM
Got the two "Submarines" propane tanks moved over to the new place and ran new gas lines. Still need tanks filled and tested, then maybe we'll have some heat......Trying to take a load of boxes/stuff over every trip. Moved and inventoried all Of LadyHK's canning implements. We got a lot of shit.................

gm2
11-26-2018, 08:36 PM
Got my indoor herb garden completely set. Have no idea why my apple mint and chives are growing so slow though. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181126/5ae4178e717c2be71eb8518752a0b20e.jpg

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Kesephist
11-27-2018, 11:43 PM
Sounds like a nice harvest AK. Couple questions for you. What are the Pequin peppers? Are the hot or mild, bell or banana type? Are they heirlooms or hybrid? If heirloom, would you be interested in swapping some seed for something I have? I'm always looking for some new heirloom peppers to try out. Never heard of those before.

bp, is there a commercial grade heirloom company ? Once I get things hammered out I aim for some N2 packed seeds for later, but I wish to have commercials up first, if they are worth a damn..

bacpacker
11-28-2018, 12:36 AM
There are tons of seed companies that sell heirloom seed. The few I have experience with and will use again are:
Baker Creek seeds
Sow True Seeds
Vermont Bean Co
Johnnys Selected Seed
Totally Tomatos
Morgan County Seed

Some I know of but haven't tried. Although I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.
Southern Exposure Seeds
Seed Savers Exchange

My dad has used:
Park Seed
Gurney's
Burpee
These have lots of hybrids so choose carefully. Actually most, but not all, seed companies are like that.

Good luck. I have started receiving catalogs already. make for some good reading thru the winter as you plan out next years garden.

Kesephist
11-28-2018, 12:49 AM
Ah, and more pertinent to the topic... 20' 6000# towing strap added to the van's tackle... cat's-paw it to whichever axle for getting out of getting stuck.

Next purchases for a towing kit will be the second of two 5000# rated come-alongs and a 20' length of 1/2" 6000# working load chain with clevises, and some bobtail truck rated chocks.

My plan is if I end up in a ditch or such, find whatever tow point and attach both comealongs. Use the first one to get in the first 4', chock, and then use the second one to get the next 4'... "walking" it in, the chocks being backup, and a spare clevis to wrap the chain's free end around the fixed towing point, if possible.

The devil fry me up for bacon in the morning if I ever pay 1500 for getting towed again. And with a good pulley set, them comealongs will earn a nice keep with some building I have on plan.

bacpacker
11-29-2018, 12:18 AM
What did you get stuck and where at? $1500, Damn
It was down to the axle. A roll back was able to winch me out. Only cost $100, which hurt bad enough.

Kesephist
11-29-2018, 02:18 AM
Stuck, no.

My first atttempt out of Vegas in 2016 was with a '96 Chevy Astro, that left its oilpan in fragments on I-40 west of Flagstaff AZ. 600 to get it towed to Flagstaff and 900 F-Vegas.

Point is, if I get jammed up where it's a matter of getting back on the road, I WILL have the tools.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-01-2018, 04:05 PM
Yup, and the day you move tools around will be the day that "Mr. Murphy" shows up and leaves you stranded again. BTDT pal, either that it will break when it's cold and raining.

OH, back to the topic! I got my two 1K# propane tanks filled and gas line run, should have heat by Monday. Prepped all I could do to install LadyHK's new kitchen cabinets. Install should begin this week after the cabin gets re-acclimated, everything needs to be stable before I can hang'em.........unless..as stated above.

ak474u
12-02-2018, 04:12 AM
Sounds like a nice harvest AK. Couple questions for you. What are the Pequin peppers? Are the hot or mild, bell or banana type? Are they heirlooms or hybrid? If heirloom, would you be interested in swapping some seed for something I have? I'm always looking for some new heirloom peppers to try out. Never heard of those before.. Pequin is a pepper about the size of a holly berry, or a pea. They're a little hotter than a jalapeño. These are a perennial bush type pepper, I got them from a guy who sells jelly at the farmers market probably 3 years ago. He makes Pequin pear jelly on a large scale, and since they aren't commercially available, he grows his own plants. These plants are heirloom as far as I can tell, I've never seen seed for them. The reason they aren't commercially available is they take FOREVER to pick when they're producing. We usually harvest around first freeze, and we harvest both green and red (fully ripe) I'd say it takes 30-45 minutes to harvest 1/2 a cup because some are the size of a BB. Our total crop annually is probably a pint jar maximum. That being said, it takes 1-1/2 tbsp to make 16 jars of pineapple Pequin, or pear Pequin jelly, so it goes a long way. We winterize them by cutting them down about 2 inches above ground and mulching them with wood mulch. I murdered the ones I had in the ground by not uncovering them after last frost this year, and not watering them enough, they never came back, so I had to go find the guy I got them from and get 3 more. I've got them in a whiskey barrel now, so I'll be covering them in a 6 mil clear plastic tent and mulching this year to see if they recover better next spring. I'd be happy to send you some dried peppers, and a few fresh ones just to make sure you get a viable set of seeds. I'd say there at 3-4 seeds per pepper. They're itty bitty, but they pack a punch, my kid eat them off the bush, and then suffers for 30 minutes while his friends laugh at him.

bacpacker
12-04-2018, 12:18 AM
AK, That is awesome. I certainly look forward to trying them out. I bet the jelly is great, anything mixed with pineapple or pear is good. We grow some maters on our deck thru the summer in some big pots. I think they may work good in that and easy to keep enough water to.
Thanks for the offer.

Katrina
02-06-2019, 05:21 PM
Got a lesson last night. I have to wear glass lenses and metal frames due to allergy to acrylics and some plastics. No contacts for me :(. Last night my right lens fell out and shattered. Had to go to the ophthalmologist this am to see if I could get a replacement fast as we are leaving to go south next week. They are going to try to expedite this for me but I have a pair that is about 5 yrs old that the doc said I can use. I need them for distance (driving, watching TV). Good thing DH hadn't taken the 4-5 old ones we have to the Lions yet. SO he's put a pair of his old ones in his ditty bag, "just in case" . So if anybody has glasses and other appliances keep a spare on hand. One never know when stuff will happen. But then I think most everybody knows this.

bacpacker
02-07-2019, 12:16 AM
The wife never gets rid of a pair, She has them scattered all over the house. Never know when your gonna break a pair and need something else.

Katrina
02-07-2019, 07:24 PM
Ain't that the truth.

bacpacker
02-07-2019, 11:00 PM
Last couple weeks I've spent my Saturdays working on my Concord grapevines. I hadn't worked in them in the last 3 years. The damn honeysuckles had ran wild. I've almost got one row cleaned out, just 2-3 roots left to dig out. Got that row of grapes pruned and ready to grow. Once I get them cleaned out, gonna mulch them deep and hope to slow down the growth of everything else. Either that or just let grass grow and weed eat around the vines.
Soon as that row is done I'll get started with the muscadines.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-12-2019, 06:42 PM
Can say it's anything you can prepare for.........my daughter got married. He's in the Army, deploying in APR. She'll be close by up at Ft. Campbell. 101st Airborne.......nuff said. I've known the lad since they were both in junior high. He's...they are just gettin started. This is something ya can't prep for. So we have been helpin those two out mentally and physically as well.

My kid's growing up..........it hasn't sunk in yet.

realist
02-13-2019, 05:16 PM
Katrina
The is off subject, but I highly recommend you replace your glasses with shatterproof ones.

Okay so what is going one this week. I've been brushing up on my land nav skills. I got with a group of people last week to go get some tutoring. My GPS was in need of updating so I bought a new Gamin 401, a new Cammenga compass and some map tools. I bought some freeze dried food, I have a goal of what I want to be met by the end of the year. My Petzl headlamp finally gave up and died after about 12 years of hard use so I bought another one.

Katrina
02-14-2019, 01:21 AM
realist, I would love to get shatterproof lenses. How ever they are usually made of acrylics or plastics. For some reason I am allergic to acrylics and some plastics. I also react when I wear clothing made of 100% acrylics. Makes it tough to find clothing at times.

realist
02-14-2019, 01:53 AM
In our state it is illegal to prescribe "glass" glasses to first responders. They all have to be shatter proof. I would think you might be able to find out what you are allergic to. I would ask your doctor, then go from there. I swear by them, they have saved my sight three times. Two separate time mine had divots from being hit by objects during fights. The last was from a flash fire which actually bubbled the lens.

Katrina
02-14-2019, 04:46 AM
Thanks realist, Will talk to my Reg. Doc to see if there's an allergy test for plastics/acrylics and see what exactly I maybe allergic to. I know they can test for sulfites, yes I'm allergic. Scared the tech administrating the test, my throat started to close up and I was breaking out in hives about 10 minutes into the test. Can only have 1-2 beers or wine before I start to itch and the nose plugs up. Hard stuff doesn't bother me. Per my hubby I'm NOT a cheap date LOL.

Kesephist
02-17-2019, 11:52 AM
Last couple weeks I've spent my Saturdays working on my Concord grapevines. I hadn't worked in them in the last 3 years. The damn honeysuckles had ran wild. I've almost got one row cleaned out, just 2-3 roots left to dig out. Got that row of grapes pruned and ready to grow. Once I get them cleaned out, gonna mulch them deep and hope to slow down the growth of everything else. Either that or just let grass grow and weed eat around the vines.
Soon as that row is done I'll get started with the muscadines.

Easy peasy. Lay down heavy gauge opaque black plastic... either in strips or wide sheet with holes for the vines. trapped heat and lack of light will take care of the weeds. Saw grandpa Lawrence do this in his garden, using lath and sideslit contractor garbage bags.

Anyone know how big the rootball of a grape vine is? was wondering if bucket planting would work with larger than 5 gallon buckets... but much larger... a thought...

bacpacker
02-18-2019, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the info Keep! I have tried black plastic, but it seems to breakdown in a couple years and everything comes right back.

I've took cutting from my vines and rooted them to start other plants. I'm sure they will outgrow a bucket in a few years. But for 2-3 years I would think they will do fine.

Katrina
03-26-2019, 03:33 PM
May not be a true prep but we have to replace our 30+ year old hot water heater. Too bad we can't just fix it, heating unit has gone.Friend (plumber not licensed here) came by last week for a visit and looked it over, said we got about 10 years more out of it than expected due to our "excellent" (his words) maintenance on it. Now the stove/oven is going out too but we can't get it fixed any more either, too old, so DH and I are looking at gas stoves now. When we moved in we had a brand new electric stove we brought with us(my Mother's Day gift year previous) but kept the hook ups for the gas. So I'm going to get a gas stove this time.Of course it all breaks just as we are replacing the 30 year old windows in the house.So (knock wood) nothing else goes out LOL.

orangetom1999
03-26-2019, 07:41 PM
May not be a true prep but we have to replace our 30+ year old hot water heater. Too bad we can't just fix it, heating unit has gone.Friend (plumber not licensed here) came by last week for a visit and looked it over, said we got about 10 years more out of it than expected due to our "excellent" (his words) maintenance on it. Now the stove/oven is going out too but we can't get it fixed any more either, too old, so DH and I are looking at gas stoves now. When we moved in we had a brand new electric stove we brought with us(my Mother's Day gift year previous) but kept the hook ups for the gas. So I'm going to get a gas stove this time.Of course it all breaks just as we are replacing the 30 year old windows in the house.So (knock wood) nothing else goes out LOL.

At 30 years olde..I would not bother trying to fix a water heater and just get a new one. At 30 years olde...the tank would be getting weak in places and subject to leaking...

It is not just the heating elements at 30 years of age.

It helps definitely to do maintenance on a water heater...draining it frequently et al....but 30 years is a long time on a water heater.

Put new windows in my house some 10 years go...those double pane windows....where you can tilt them out in place for cleaning.

Should have done this many many years before I did. These new windows are much more energy efficient.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Katrina
03-27-2019, 03:05 PM
OT, that was the problem, DH thought the heater HAD been replaced by the people we bought the house from 18 years ago. It had a new hot water tank wrap on it so it looked good. They had it inspected and it had passed code so DH thought everything was good, for that matter so did I. Never thought at that time to open the wrapping and see the tags on it to see when it was actually installed. Probably should have when the dishwasher went out 3 months after we moved in and we found out it was older than the house. We figured they took their new stuff to their new house and replaced the appliances with old ones just to sell the house. Houses will not sell unless there are appliances in the house. We didn't mind because I took mine with me because they were fairly brand new and we couldn't afford at that time to buy new ones.

bacpacker
03-27-2019, 11:38 PM
Not a lot other than started planting the garden.

Illini Warrior
03-28-2019, 01:34 PM
OT, that was the problem, DH thought the heater HAD been replaced by the people we bought the house from 18 years ago. It had a new hot water tank wrap on it so it looked good. They had it inspected and it had passed code so DH thought everything was good, for that matter so did I. Never thought at that time to open the wrapping and see the tags on it to see when it was actually installed. Probably should have when the dishwasher went out 3 months after we moved in and we found out it was older than the house. We figured they took their new stuff to their new house and replaced the appliances with old ones just to sell the house. Houses will not sell unless there are appliances in the house. We didn't mind because I took mine with me because they were fairly brand new and we couldn't afford at that time to buy new ones.

they can get away with that con - as long as they didn't claim newer appliances than what's there - there's all kinds of protection for homebuyers these days ...

Katrina
04-04-2019, 09:35 PM
New heater is in and BLISS It doesn't take forever to get hot water to the kitchen YEAH!! Windows are next on the list, our "contractor"( son 1's friend owns his own small construction company) is coming Friday to measure and order them. Just pray the stove (oven) holds out til AFTER Easter or I'm in big doo doo for Easter dinner.
DH and I went to a seminar last night put on by the township and university extension people. It was on how to save seeds and they also talked about heirloom seeds/Plants. It was really good, we learned a lot.We could ask questions and get the answers right then. Instead of waiting til someone answered an email. They had signed up about 30-35 people but only about a dozen of us showed up. The lady that came could spend more time on our questions which made it very nice.

helomech
04-04-2019, 10:19 PM
My radish have spouted, and my spinach is starting to sprout.

https://i.ibb.co/MgxB7fZ/56451938-10205780268302166-845477888609222656-n.jpg

bacpacker
04-05-2019, 12:33 AM
Looking good Helo

Kat that had to be a really good class. i've done a lot of reading on the subject and have a few books on it to refer to. But having someone with first hand knowledge to pepper with questions is just invaluable.

Katrina
04-05-2019, 05:08 AM
Ditto helo, looking good. Can't wait til we're able to get going.Temps still too cold and nasty here.
BP, It was really good.I think DH is more amenable to growing heirlooms so I can save the seeds instead of the stuff we get at the garden centers. Our neighbor came over in November after the first frost and asked if he could get some apples, he has a friend that does cider, so DH told him go ahead but forgot to ask if we could get a couple of bottles when his friend was done bottling it. Gonna ask this year for sure. Not sure if it is ice cider or the hard stuff. Either way I hope we can barter for a few bottles this year. Of course that is IF the trees produce as much as they did this last year even with the late frost we had.

helomech
04-05-2019, 08:25 AM
We save seeds every year, and plant them the next year. Not 100%, but we always get some.

bacpacker
04-05-2019, 12:28 PM
I do the same. Tomatoes, peppers, melons, squash, cucumbers, okra, beans. If I grow open pollinated corn I keep it to.

Katrina
04-12-2019, 07:18 PM
Our county/Township is having a "Recycle-Rama" tomorrow. So we are getting rid of the old broken printer, PC (no mother board or other stuff of value in it) and a bunch of other things he has cleaned out of the garage.They are also taking old medicines this time. So DH will be able to empty his Sharps container safely.Feels so good to get rid of the stuff.

bacpacker
04-12-2019, 11:24 PM
I spent all day yesterday planting a dozen berry plants I had bought last year and repotted for a year to let them grow a little. Got almost half inch of rain this morning. The plants were all standing up nice and looking good.

Katrina
08-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Well it looks like we may get one or two tomatoes from the plants. Gypsy Bell Peppers are just now starting to get their red stripes but the salad greens bit the dust along with my 3 yr old poinsettia. Poor ole Fred,he's done given up the ghost. On the other hand I'm getting a new stove end of the month. Oven in the electric has been dying and of course can't be fixed anymore(planned obsolescence by companies). So when we went to Lowe's for the new blinds for bdrm windows, we went over to the appliance area. The stove we've had our eyes on went on sale BIG TIME. No not clearancing out just big sale. SO DH said time to get it YEAH now I don't have to pull the camp stove out to do my canning. Oh yes doors and windows are finally done. Now DH has to figure out the colors on the walls and touch up around the moldings and paint the french doors. For those of you who don't know DH is color blind so all colors look like various shades of grey to him so he can't tell subtle differences in colors, eggshell white and alabaster for example.They all look the same to him. That should be all for this year. Getting ready for our cousin's visit end of the month and his college friends visit end of September. Still plugging away at the "preps" . Went to Costco's and got a case of green beans and corn but they were out of peas but I didn't see any signs talking about shortages due to the bad weather. Picked those up at the market this morning along with some canned spuds (for easy meals).

Katrina
08-27-2019, 05:11 AM
Hi all,
Hope you're all doing well. Stove is in, YEAH!!!. Was talking with neighbor cross the street about me learning to pressure can and she said she wanted to learn too. Since the tomatoes are gone off the branches of the plants,seems the squirrels and/or the raccoons may have stripped them off the plants including the ones with blossom rot, going to have to hit the farmers market. I'm going to invite my neighbor to go in with me on some produce and learn to pressure can veggies and fruit with me. we both water bath can things but neither one of us have pressure canned before. I think we've also lost the entire crop of apples this year as well. They didn't get sprayed in time due to the copious amounts of rain we got this spring, every one of them is either too buggy or rotting on the trees.This has not been a good year for anything, my neighbors garden is almost a bust too. I think they have squash and cukes but pretty much nothing else, that's what they've told us.We trade produce with them. He was ripping out plants this past week end, he didn't look too happy either. However the deer are anxiously waiting till the apples ripen and fall off the trees, LOL. Good thing we both have full larders to get us by this winter. DH and our neighbor will be trying again next year. Haven't seen any of the "Sorry for the inconvenience" signs in our local stores yet but I'm sure that might be happening soon. How's it going for the rest of you? Have a favor for you all, DH is a census worker this year (and next) so be kind to them OKAY?Have a good Labor Day Week-end and stay safe.

Katrina
09-23-2019, 05:41 PM
Hi all, sorry I haven't been on lately. Have been busy with house guests. Had old friends come and stay, then Son1 & Fam came up last weekend, spur of the moment before he starts another job in GA(with possibility of overseas again). Came home after being in Seoul for 4 weeks on a movie. Now DH's college room mate (and uncle to his BF) is here. Had just enough time between the guests and Son to wash the sheets and remake the beds and clean out the cat boxes LOL. Did get to an Emergency Expo Saturday, met up with a young couple just starting out. She is interested in learning how to can, so maybe I can get her and the neighbor here when I start putting up stuff. Did pick up an emergency trauma kit,Army surplus (brand new never been opened) for the BOB and a couple of those credit card style "knives", some Colloidal silver (local distributor, yeah!!) and a couple of tins of Wheat berries (from Thrive) that will go in the lower pantry. Didn't win any door prizes like last year but had a good time. This year they had a good program on DIY solar and wind. It was interesting and very informative. SO that's on my to do list now.

jimLE
09-26-2019, 06:46 PM
i ordered a eton am/fm/noaa radio on amazon last week.like the one in link below.but for less.it's delayed in Houston due to flooding.

plus I've canned 18 pints of chicken n rice soup.

edit..it aint letting me post the link.that suddenly remembered.

Domeguy
09-26-2019, 11:38 PM
I found on Marketplace under the Facebook page, a 100 qt stock pot for a good price, but nowhere near me. I asked if he could mail it to me if I paid for the shipping, he said yes. To make a short story long, the missus and I are in Gatlinburg for the week with extended family joining us for the weekend. I sent the money through PayPal to the pot man, but he said he didn’t receive it. After 2 days, I found out I put his name in correctly, but was off one letter on his email. PayPal would not let me cancel it, so I contacted him again, admitted my stupid mistake, and told him I was in no hurry for him to send it as I was in Gatlinburg for the week. He wrote me back and said, no worries, but if I wanted to pick it up, he was just 20 minutes down the road in Colby TN.
So, I drove there this morning and picked up.....so, now that I’ve wasted enough of your time with this, kinda strange how it turned out.

bacpacker
09-26-2019, 11:50 PM
DG,
Glad the deal worked out on the canner. Did you mean Cosby instead of Colby? If so, That is one of my favorite spots in the mountains. Beautiful area. I'd love to find just the right spot near there or north just a ways to retire to.

Domeguy
09-27-2019, 12:08 AM
I stand corrected sir, again my input is wrong. Yes, it was Cosby...and as I drove out, I say there was a large parcel of land for sale on his road, Chavis Road, off of Hiway 339.

bacpacker
09-28-2019, 12:11 AM
I assumed that was what you meant. It is a nice area up there. Closer to retirement I will be looking much harder for property out that way. We take road trips in that direction and north up the mountain range just to look at property a few times a year. Haven't found what we are looking for yet, but it'll come in time.

Domeguy
09-28-2019, 03:39 AM
Backpacker, my dear friend. Well, when you do find it, just remember one thing...I like to sleep in until around 10 am. I sleep in a firm mattress with a memory foam pillow, I prefer pancakes to French toast, but either... actually both would be even better...crispy, (not soggy) bacon, and 2% milk (should be between 37-39 degrees Fahrenheit) white bread lightly toasted with real butter (margarine is for commoners) with a jelly of your choice. Trust me, you won’t even know we are there, as we don’t want to be any bother.

bacpacker
09-28-2019, 03:44 AM
And the bacon will be the finest cuts of kitty. Fried to a nice crisp. Just the way bacon should be. LOL

jimLE
09-28-2019, 01:11 PM
ive canned 18 pints of chicken n rice soup.put together a 1st aid kit.the red cross am/fm/noaa radio i have is playing out on me.so i ordered a new one.it's compact.so it'll fit in a glove box or a ghb/bob.ive been stocking up on bottled water.need lots more thoe.

bacpacker
09-28-2019, 06:10 PM
Welcome to the forum Jim. Glad to have you aboard.

eagle326
09-28-2019, 07:27 PM
And the bacon will be the finest cuts of kitty. Fried to a nice crisp. Just the way bacon should be. LOL

All I can say son is if I come a visiting I don't care where I sleep ; Army thing you know .
As for vittles ; Whatever Southern Belle makes is just fine by me because I know a man your size didn't get there on bad vittles. My only hope is we sit on front porch telling stories I.E. lies maybe ;) A few Evan Williams and some shooting .
And of course the company of your Southern Belle . Kitty bacon YUM!!!.

Run Low Drive On

bacpacker
09-28-2019, 11:54 PM
Well Pops you know you're welcome anytime. Wife is a good cook so vittles won't be a problem. But how bout we sit down in the field around a bonfire swappin stories? We can do that after we finish shootin. I don't have any EW handy, but I'll break out a bottle of Brandy I bet you could choke down.

eagle326
09-29-2019, 01:05 AM
Well Pops you know you're welcome anytime. Wife is a good cook so vittles won't be a problem. But how bout we sit down in the field around a bonfire swappin stories? We can do that after we finish shootin. I don't have any EW handy, but I'll break out a bottle of Brandy I bet you could choke down.

BONFIRE!!! YES!!! Shooting is always first my son. I'll supply the E.w. But that Brandy is always good for coughs and whatever afflicts you . :) I could tell she's a fine southern belle cook when I first met you two . Just promise to take it easy on these old bones . :eek: I especially like kitty on a stick .

Domeguy
09-29-2019, 01:55 AM

In the words of Capt. Kurtz The horror...the horror.

- - - Updated - - -

ive canned 18 pints of chicken n rice soup.put together a 1st aid kit.the red cross am/fm/noaa radio i have is playing out on me.so i ordered a new one.it's compact.so it'll fit in a glove box or a ghb/bob.ive been stocking up on bottled water.need lots more thoe.

Wlocome jimLE. It sounds like you have your situation well under control. What’s the water situation where you live?

jimLE
09-29-2019, 12:42 PM
city water here aint worth spit.there's lime in the water.plus it's not properly maintained with chemicals like it's suppose to be.so I've been stocking up on bottled water.in which that's a constant work in progress.

gm2
09-29-2019, 11:03 PM
Jimle, have you looked at some of the LDS stuff? They have a water bladder designed to fit under the frame of your bed that can hold a lot of water more efficiently than in bottles.

While I was in key West I stocked a lot of it in those 5 gallon jugs you get at the grocery and even that was a pain to deal with.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

jimLE
10-01-2019, 03:29 PM
no extra space there.due to having the area under full of stuff in under bed totes and small boxes. but good idea thoe.

Katrina
03-09-2020, 06:21 AM
Haven't been doing much (family) but just got a brand new electric pressure cooker, free. Am looking up recipes and learning how to use it. And we've been doing a bit of rearranging in the house for an in case of situation(quarantine????). Not in panic mode, just getting a few things taken care of that I've put off. Was able to donate the double bed mattress and box springs, most places won't take them (bed bugs) but this set is only 3 yrs old and only used about a dozen times over the 3 yrs. Not sure if anyone has this around them--Furniture-banc. com. They take GENTLY used CLEAN furniture (not bed frames though) for those in the lowest class, usually people escaping an abusive situation that have nothing at all. Glad to donate rather than have it wind up in a land fill. Going on my monthly Costco run this week, will check out how bad it's gotten there. Our grocery stores have signs up "No more hand sanitizers" not sure when they'll get anymore,there's very little TP and the wipes are gone as well. Good thing I have been stocking all along. Got elections this Tuesday and DH will be working it, Our Township Supervisor's has been trying to get sanitizers in for the workers but no luck so far, DH has my last two pocket ones and will be taking a couple of containers of the wipes with him. Other than that I've just been filling in with some goods, food and non food. Did pick up 4 movers blankets at Harbor Freight real cheap. Will use them for the airbeds if need be.

jimLE
03-11-2020, 12:35 PM
did my primary food shopping on the 6th.bought more food then usual. got 4 cases of 40 count bottled water.refilled 6-1 gallon bottles and 1-5 gallon bottle with fresh wwater at a water dispenser. I've been taking count of the over the counter meds that i have.so i can buy the ones i need.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-11-2020, 03:34 PM
Speaking of water.......Well, after all the rain we've having I've managed to locate and open new springs on the property (wet weather) it has flushed out our "forever" springs. An I have came up with another alternative hydro power plan for this time of year. Our pond out front overflows. So I'm thinkin I'll put in a overflow pipe to spin a paddle wheel (make it purdy) to spin a alternator to connect to the off grid solar power system. No, I haven't got that up and running yet. Still working on the additions.

So just call it planning.

Sniper-T
03-15-2020, 11:57 PM
topping off a few things... grocery wise... but am also starting my seeds... planning on a bigger garden this year!

bacpacker
03-17-2020, 12:34 AM
Good to hear from you Sniper. Wondered how in the world you guys were doing.

Sniper-T
03-18-2020, 12:42 AM
thanks BP... been a really weird year... Glad all my friends here are doing ok

Socalman
03-18-2020, 03:31 PM
We are not yet living off our stored supplies. Last month we did need to break into the water supply and used about 20 gallons of water as we were on a temporary period without water supply. We knew it would be back in in two days. Where we live in the late, great state of Kalifornya, our water quality is good, so no need to stock up on bottled water. We are good on everything else for sometime. After a month or so, we will constantly be evaluating the situation.

My wife is now thankful for the prep work I have done over the years. Certainly I have not done near as much as some on this forum, but we will be sufficient for a few months. It will be interesting to see how the food supply chain is in a few months. In this area of the country the supply chain is working just fine, it is simply that people are panic buying.

We have been having rainy weather, at least for SoCal, but I have been working on my boysenberries, they are almost finished. All fruit trees were pruned and peach and apricot are in bloom. We have a huge crop of oranges and the avocados are doing well, though small. If I can just keep the bears, coons and squirrels from my trees we will be seeing a great crop.

We are both seniors, I am 70, wife 69 but in generally good health, though I have dealt with a slight bit of melanoma skin cancer. We are fortunate that we have a number of younger friends who are already picking up things for some of us "old folks."

Katrina
03-19-2020, 04:19 AM
Went to my "natural,organic" store today for a couple of things I can only get there. Store is out of wheat berries and my friend (clerk) told me they aren't getting any more in.She also told me it's getting weird, she's seeing a LOT of new faces grabbing supplies. The locusts have hit there too. Was able to get DH's low carb bread they make there and a couple of other items that I needed.Other than than we're just hunkering down as we are good for awhile.
Talked to Son1 yesterday and he is being told no work till June and maybe not till August.We told him we're not going to be coming down end of this month as we had planned because of the virus.Grands will be disappointed but they understand Gaga and Grandpa want to be safe. So I have to mail the little ones presents to her. She is SOOO into Princess Aurora(Sleeping Beauty) now. Goes around saying Oh I pricked my finger on a spindle,I'm asleep and flops down. Daddy has to give her a kiss to wake her up AND he is getting the two older ones for the duration the school is out or April 5th? which ever comes first. The ex said they're about ready to kill each other so she's shipping them off to dad for him to deal with. They live in an isolated area, 20 miles outside of the town so no friends around. I guess they've been getting on each others nerves and she doesn't want to deal with it. Personally, I think they are doing it deliberately, LOL. They are about 20 miles outside town, there's no friends and nothing to do AND they wanted to go to Dad's anyways.

jimLE
03-21-2020, 03:22 PM
i haven't done much on prepping this month from staying home as much as possible. did my primary shopping on the 6th.in which i bought a lil extra food then usual. that put me a lil short on shopping funds.but yet.i at least have food n water.been reorganizing my canned foods.beans.refilled 6-1 galon jugs and a 5 gallon jug at a water dispenser at the local food store.ii still need more water thoe.

helomech
03-22-2020, 10:50 PM
I am stuck down in Guyana South American for a unknown amount of time, thousands of miles away from all my preps. But at least the family is well stocked up. Hopefully I can get home in the next few months.

At least so far down here, things seem calm. No shortages of anything (at least out of the norm). Went to the go cart track today and ate hot wings and had a few coronas. Work is getting slow because there are not flight into the country now. So the people offshore are going to be there till this stuff clears up, so my work load should be pretty easy. Just sucks not having access to all my guns, knives, supplies. I do have a water purification straw here, and one crappy knife. but that is all.

ak474u
03-23-2020, 02:47 AM
I am stuck down in Guyana South American for a unknown amount of time, thousands of miles away from all my preps. But at least the family is well stocked up. Hopefully I can get home in the next few months.

At least so far down here, things seem calm. No shortages of anything (at least out of the norm). Went to the go cart track today and ate hot wings and had a few coronas. Work is getting slow because there are not flight into the country now. So the people offshore are going to be there till this stuff clears up, so my work load should be pretty easy. Just sucks not having access to all my guns, knives, supplies. I do have a water purification straw here, and one crappy knife. but that is all.

Yikes, it's nutty up here in TX. hope your family is doing alright in your absence.

helomech
03-23-2020, 12:10 PM
Yikes, it's nutty up here in TX. hope your family is doing alright in your absence.

Thanks, yes they are doing fine. They have everything they need for a long time. My wife is wanting to get rabbits again because of this, but we already have so much food. Just wish I was there.

Sniper-T
03-23-2020, 06:43 PM
ouch, that's crappy timing Helo... stay safe!

Metrocruiser
03-23-2020, 07:43 PM
Good thoughts and prayers to all of you and your loved ones.

Have any of you grown or are growing microgreens?
It is a perpetual garden of tasty greens that have massive amounts of healthy nutrients.

We used to do this before and have now started again due to the present circumstances. I start a tray every 3-4 days and have a total of 4 trays in my current system. I will be moving it out to the garage soon and then I can increase to 8 trays, I am limited due to only 4 grow lights.

Pea shoots cracking open
https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/e35/16788776_593294750876654_8790639998585012224_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=102&_nc_ohc=_suK019w6OsAX_jXpp6&oh=d47a4e0d6790c608083211bf0970b8e4&oe=5EA0E674
Same Pea shoots 5 hours later.
https://scontent-yyz1-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/e35/16789090_596665237193982_2615240800971259904_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=DVTUfS2J484AX-iGWSU&oh=982af053d025afc3700efc6fc2ba1e94&oe=5EA206F7
5 more days to the dinner table
https://scontent-yyz1-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/e35/16789174_283647358722272_4363901890467987456_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=LhPiHA9rUyQAX8iLOOs&oh=b05f1d12b0ed5d195a5b9e40e56d633e&oe=5EA2074B

Sniper-T
03-23-2020, 08:46 PM
Hey Metro,

how about throwing some more detail up in a thread in the garden section.

I know I'd like to see/hear much more detail on whatcha got going on...

bacpacker
03-23-2020, 11:13 PM
Metro, so would I. That looks very interesting. But I have no knowledge of this at all.

Helo, hope you get back here soon. That would suck gettin caught outside the country. Prayers for you and your family.

helomech
03-24-2020, 12:29 AM
ouch, that's crappy timing Helo... stay safe!

Yeah, been preparing for some crap like this for decades and I go out the country for 2 months and this shit happens. I think it will be okay. Probably be stuck here a few months, then get home. At least I hope.

- - - Updated - - -

Metro, so would I. That looks very interesting. But I have no knowledge of this at all.

Helo, hope you get back here soon. That would suck gettin caught outside the country. Prayers for you and your family.

I think it is going better here than in the states, haven't had any issues getting stuff, even when to the go cart track yesterday and had hot wings and corona. Just wish I was home to help the family.

Katrina
03-25-2020, 06:27 AM
helo hoping you get home soon. Been crazy here. Gov. shut everything down til after Easter so told the family to stay put this year. Grands are not happy they can't come to Grandma& Grandpas and hunt eggs but they understand it's to keep us oldies safe. Went to store to pick up DH's scripts during the "senior" time, Doc changed a few. BRR, lady you'll get a kick out of this, got yelled at by old lady, said I was too young to shop then. Had to whip out the DL and Birth cert(yes I carry a copy) to prove I'm 65. Her hubby (after he kinda hollered at her) said I must have some really good genes. Told him Yup and I have a really good pair of slacks at home too(ala Groucho Marx). Got everyone laughing. They are rationing a lot of stuff now, milk, produce. My friend who works at the natural store told me to come to their senior hour as they do have a good bit of fresh produce and fruit, so it's off to the store to see if I can pick up some squash, celery, tomatoes, etc.Geez I can't wait til I can get the garden going this year. I hope you are all safe.

helomech
03-25-2020, 10:49 AM
The bad part is that if the government finds out you have a fever they will force you into a government quarantine. There is no self quarantine allowed here, so we all went and got thermometers and if we get a fever we are going to stay in the house and not tell anyone. No way am I going to a government quarantine in a shit hole country.

Metrocruiser
03-25-2020, 07:23 PM
Hi Guys, I'll get to that intro of microgreens. In the meanwhile, there are quite a few YouTube channels that teach you from start to finish. Here's a link to a guy I've been following for a while.
https://youtu.be/blBwFvAghTs

bacpacker
03-26-2020, 09:37 PM
Looking forward to what you have. I'll go thru the YouTube vid in the meantime.

Metrocruiser
03-29-2020, 08:29 PM
Hi Guys, I'll get to that intro of microgreens. In the meanwhile, there are quite a few YouTube channels that teach you from start to finish. Here's a link to a guy I've been following for a while.
https://youtu.be/blBwFvAghTs

Hi guys,

Here is the intro to Microgreens.
https://www.shtfready.com/threads/5799-Part-1-Micro-greens-tasty-and-very-nutritious

Socalman
04-04-2020, 04:45 PM
In the last few weeks not much we have done in terms of prepping. Being in the group that is supposedly more at risk, over 60 and I have a history of bronchitis, we have pretty much stayed home. Wife made a few trips over to take food to her father who is in his 90's. During our first week of house arrest I made a trip to the market during 'senior hour' and got a few fresh veggies and milk. Picked up a case of wine and some bourbon. Otherwise, just being at home, doing our normal stuff. Fruit trees are looking good, blueberries are set and looking nice, though still very green.

Had a moderate earthquake, 4.9, last night centered about a 90 miles away. Now if THE BIG ONE, hits the greater Los Angeles area we can really expect the SHTF. Since we have moderate runs on some items like toilet paper right now, I can see folks really go bat shit crazy if the supply chain were to be even moderately disrupted.

bacpacker
04-05-2020, 01:20 AM
I've been working from home for the last 3 weeks. As of right now April 26th is the earliest I'll be going back to the lab. In the afternoons when I finish with work I've been getting the garden ready, planting a few things, Grubbing some brush I intended to clear out over the winter. Being sick for 3 months ruined that. I won't get done with what I planned until next fall/winter, but I am hitting a couple areas hard, one around one of my garden spots, The other along one side of some of my blueberry bushes.
All my blueberries are in full bloom/starting to set fruit. Looks like it's gonna be a good harvest. Apple trees, pears, and pawpaws are all blooming.
Got my garden spots worked up with the tractor, tilled one in full and enough to plant taters in the other spot. Hopefully it don't rain before Monday night. Gonna plant cucmbers, okra, taters, and some squash. I've got tomatos and peppers I need to transplant to begger pots. it's too early to put them out yet.

Metrocruiser
04-05-2020, 10:25 PM
Hey all, I've been hardening my property to make it allow me more time if some one wants to kick in our doors. We have designated a room we should all go to if someone does intrude upon us.

As well I lost round one with the birds last fall and the got every last grass seed. I will not donate to them this spring. Gonna setup a 1/2" net over the lawn. Got a 700 sqft roll.
My fence ties are all rotten around my garden so I've been trying hard to get my son's to help me with this and picking weeds. I'm not successful when I'm actually working myself as they turn into ninjas and disappear when I'm distracted.

orangetom1999
04-10-2020, 04:42 PM
I have a stash/cache of food items and some medicines, spare clothes...at work in a locker...

I have been restocking with fresh stock...and also some extra items.

IN this locker I also have a couple of cans of sterno fuel which I need to replace. Hope to get this fuel this coming weekend and take it in to work.

Something is telling me....a tingling sense...to get updated between now and the coming election.

I am concerned about two legged wildlife running amok in this country between now and the election.....

Chaos seems to becoming more and more an operational position/standard of the left in this country. If they cannot get their way/entitlement...on the public purse....they will resort to chaos....

Nonetheless...with this in mind..I am updating my stocks ..should it become unsafe to go home after work.
This also complicated by the virus...and I am not sure this virus business will be over soon.....that it may become necessary to keep it going until the election to keep the public disgruntled..and effect the vote...the blame game.

Two legged Ishmaelite wildlife...run amok.

I hate two legged wildlife...

My non Ishmaelite .02,
Orangetom

orangetom1999
04-11-2020, 12:54 PM
Made a special effort yesterday to go out and about in locating some Sterno fuel to replace older stocks in my locker at work.

Found and purchased two 2 packs of Sterno fuel...total four cans and will be taking them to work for my locker when next week starts.

Also I have decided to attempt to stay out of Wal Mart as much as possible and take my monies elsewhere.

It is just that Wall Mart tends to be crowded....and I don't like standing in lines anymore than necessary..even in good times.

Lots of other places to shop...not just Wall Mart.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
Orangetom

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-13-2020, 03:36 PM
Inventoried, then rearranged in order of necessity. Brother "Izzy" dropped by an aided in "zero" checking all my semi's. After the move I figured things might have gotten "tweaked" on maybe one or two. Still have to check the bolts. Now that I have a spot cleared out in the "AMB" I can set up a table to do the "BOB's" an other such gear. Time for the seasons to change as does your inventory, "uniform change".

SO AS A REMINDER TO ALL: Time to check your "BOB's", inventory and change out to warmer weather. Besides.......sometimes shit goes bad in your bag, and sometimes makes a mess. Lesson learned, get a suitable substitute. Change expired meds, etc.

Katrina
04-29-2020, 06:04 AM
Checking in. Went to get DH's script (during SR hour) and picked up a few things while at the store.Things (meat) are getting scarcer and more expensive.DH 's eyebrows went up when I gave him the receipt this morning. When I got home this am, low and behold the thermometer I've been waiting on(5 weeks now) FINALLY showed up, so we can stop using the LED meat thermometer HA HA HA. AND then DH told me sump is going out, he's sleeping in basement to keep an eye on it and it's raining AGAIN. Will have to call and see if the basement guys can come out to replace it THIS week. But on a good note we got almost 9 years out of this one. Township has been fixing the drainage around town so the sump wasn't running EVERY 15 minutes October to August. Got a lot of water here and I swore it was all in my back yard LOL.Other than than we are doing good, missing the grand kids more than usual. Guess it's because we can't just go over to see them when we want as Son2 is still working in the public and he will not take the chance he'll infect us .The other two are back with the psycho and are missing Dad and DIL1, the baby sister. They are still okay but Son 1 is still having problems getting his unemployment.Can't raise anyone in the office. He went there last Monday and no one was there. He did get a good residual from another movie. but that won't last long. Told them again if it gets too bad, get the two older ones, get here but DIL1 says so far things are okay in the stores.He thinks there's a good chance he'll be back to work sooner than later. Am a bit worried about how it's going around here. Most of my neighborhood has been real quiet but since we live near the big city worried about what is going to happen in the near future when certain people can't get their stuff. Good to hear from you Vodin. Been wondering how you were doing.BRR, how's Izzy doing? Will check in again Stay safe all and God help us.

Socalman
05-06-2020, 03:41 PM
During this period of house arrest, we used a few items from our stored preps. However, we have also stocked up on a few more items so our stored supplies are now a bit larger than when this covid-19 began.

bacpacker
05-07-2020, 12:13 AM
We have mostly just ate our normal pantry items. Order food on-line and pick it up. We don't get everything we order, but more than enough to get by. We have tried to order extra of stuff along the way too. Then recently things have lightened up some and I have made 2-3 trips thru a couple of grocery stores and tried to stock up on meat in particular and other goods. At this point we are better stocked than when the covid event started. With getting the garden started I feel we are in decent shape. Not great and could make more improvments, but don't feel bad about where we are.

Katrina
05-07-2020, 01:58 PM
I went to my “fresh” store yesterday AM as they had whole beef tenderloin on sale $9.99 lb. DH and I thought we could cut the loin in half, vac seal it and put it in the Freezer for Christmas and then cut the other half in half for us and Son 2. Got there at 6:45 am, store Sr hour is 7-8 . Saw two people coming out of the store at 10 to 7 with loaded carts, so I went in. Went to butcher area and NO more Tenderloins. They only got 4 whole tenderloin packages in and the couple I saw had snarked all four because they double teamed the store. The store has limit only two types of meat(2 beef, 2 pork, 2 chicken) PER PERSON. So he took two and she took two .Manager couldn’t do anything about it right then but I know he’ll be changing that limit sign tonight.He did tell me they expect to have a few more on Friday. So IF I can I’ll be there when the store opens to get a whole tenderloin and cut it up, vac pac the chunks and get it in the freezer. That way we won't have to spend an arm and a leg in December. We host Christmas, we do the meat, potatoes (and gravy), everybody else brings a dish to pass. This year it will be 22 of us as my niece and her family will be here (maybe). That is IF we're allowed to travel by then. DH was starting to figure out the plans and costs of making 2 raised beds for the garden and came across a site that had what he wanted for less money. They were having a blow out sale on last years stock, so he ordered two of them. Got here yesterday, he'll be putting them together this week end. We've been trying to get the garden regrowing and now we're going to have a hard frost tomorrow. We've been watching the apple trees and so far they haven't blossomed, so we HOPE we may not lose the apples this year like last year. We almost lost the trees. The deer were happy because we couldn't use the apples so they had a feast last fall. Was successful in getting heirloom seeds from my fresh store. So this time we're going to do the tomatoes from seed rather than the seedlings DH has gotten from the store and see if they will grow with out the blossom rot.

bacpacker
05-07-2020, 11:41 PM
Wife just finished canning up some strawberry preserves. They are gooooooood

Katrina
05-11-2020, 06:27 AM
Hi all, Happy Mother's Day. We're still doing all right. DH was crunching the numbers for the new boxes and was cruising on line. Came across company selling what we've been looking to build at better costs. They came Friday and DH put them together and is in the process of staining the outsides of the boxes, protection from the elements. Now that the freeze is done(we hope) we should be able to get things going outside. Weatherman says by Friday we should be in the 70's and up.We're shut down till my Birthday (May 28th) but we're able to go to garden centers now. Son 2 stopped by to give me Mother's day present, mini tea roses in a pot and the cutest card. Yes he social distanced so I couldn't hug him. DH "took" me out for dinner, pick up from our fav restaurant LOL. Talked to Son1, he finally got someone from Unemployment and they fixed the error and sent him a check for the 4-6 weeks he didn't get it. So they are okay, DIL1 hand surgery got moved to Monday,11th so we're waiting to hear how it goes. The two older kids are ok and will be back to Dad's the 22nd. Grand daughter 1 permanently with dad (YAY HOO!!!). GRson1 will stay with the psycho for now but will spend summer with Dad. GR daughter 3(their lil sis) is VERY into the Disney princesses, right now it's Snow White. So when we face time we have to "kiss" her awake.Gr son2 and GrDaughter 2 are doing fine but "Grandma we NEED more popcorn" I have Costco card, so will be heading there this week and will pick them up some more micro popcorn and more bottled water. Their water is okay but upsets Son's and grandsons stomachs so they use bottled water to drink. Told Son 2 IF he has to, come here and fill the bottles as we have GREAT water. He said he just might do that but won't bring the kids.Told him we understand. Will drop the stuff I get off on porch, see the kids and the grand dog thru the window. So far so good with us, Son2 did tell us that one of the meat plants will be off line for a long time as the workers will not go back until this has gotten under control. His company does have smaller local farms they buy from so while things will be rationed we should still be able to get meat but for how long, not sure. He said packages look like the old government packages we used to get when Pop lost his job. Both boys know the family history so they have had me give them the recipes Mom used during the hard time to feed all 7 of us.Well it's late gotta go to bed, just finished day 7 of the home grown network seminars .
Stay safe and God bless.

Socalman
05-12-2020, 05:47 PM
We have had a great bumper crop of avocados this season and so far the bears have not hit us. A week ago our neighbor across the street took a pic of one of the bears at a tree of the neighbor immediately north of us and sent it to me just after 0700. She watched him finish harvesting/eating then meander off into the hills. A bit later in the morning saw a super large pile of scat in my back yard that was loaded with kumquat seeds, probably from our neighbor to the west.

We have done well, giving away many avocados and oranges to our friends. Have frozen a few quarts of fresh OJ for winter use. More will be put up. Will harvest some of our blueberries a bit later this morning. It appears we have about 2 quarts. Last year we got almost none, we went out one morning and the bushes were bare! Perhaps a bear or squirrel got them. That is not happening this year!

We laid in a decent supply of batteries, AAA, AA, C, D and 9 volt late last week. I would love to find a decent solar charger that accepts all sizes of rechargeable batteries? Anyone know of any?

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-12-2020, 06:18 PM
Well, bought a new set of handheld radios. Should be here on the 19th. A pair of Baofeng UV-82 MK5's. My Quanshengs have about outlived their lives. I've had them for about 7yrs and used them on a daily basis. Don't seem to find them around anymore. Time for an upgrade.

bacpacker
05-13-2020, 12:27 AM
I've been working on a couple of 24" deep 4x12 raised beds. Got them finished up and filled last weekend. Planted radishes, parsnips, carrots, peas, beans, a bunch of onions, squash, cantaloupes. If weather holds, I'm gonna plant my tomato and pepper transplants this weekend. I put them in gallon pots and now they are nearly 3' tall and are loaded with blooms. OKra and cucmbers have come up some, but gonna replant more. Taters and cabbage is doing well. Blueberries, apple, pawpaws, grapes, & mulberries are doing pretty good.

Domeguy
05-13-2020, 03:01 AM
I replaced my broken ham radio with a new one, got the same TYT TH-9800. The old one was less than a yr old, but during a com check several yrs ago, the short mike cord while talking pulled it off the side table and onto the floor which broke the knobs on the front. I also dropped and broke my iPad while trying to catch the radio. So I took a lesson from Hogan’s Hero’s and screwed it onto the inside door of the side table cabinet. I drilled two holes in the back, one for the antenna and one for the power cord. The power unit is beside the radio with everything hooked up, but hidden away, safe and sound. I bet even Sargent Shultz couldn’t find it. Now if only I could remember to get on the com checks when they are scheduled...I blame old age.
Also almost finished with the covered front porch, and it’s looking pretty good. I ran a new wire from a closet light switch to get a power line so I can put in a ceiling fan on the porch, which I will do tomorrow. Now the missus is thinking of putting a 15’ above ground pool of from the side of the porch. That would help me get some better exercise for my knee and hip, which aren’t doing well since my fall on the steps of the old porch. Plus it would be a huge water storage reservoir.
I’ve also ordered 24 good quality rechargeable AA batteries. I’ve bought cheap ones in the past, but I think with batteries, you get what you pay for. And I ordered a new solar charger for them. Also ordered a 12V solar trickle charger to keep the batteries up on the RV, all from Amazon. In my opinion, try and get as much solar equipment as you can afford, even the cheap solar yard lights from the Dollar Store will light up a room when it’s dark outside...sorry...I’ll get off my soap box now.
P.S. I still hate the dog.

Domeguy
05-14-2020, 04:30 AM
With the food prices rising, and with meat potentially becoming a rare commodity, I ordered a 1/2 side of beef from my massage therapists husband. No hormones, free range, and all that good stuff. Should be ready and in the freezer in about a month.

Kesephist
05-26-2020, 06:45 PM
Well, bought a new set of handheld radios. Should be here on the 19th. A pair of Baofeng UV-82 MK5's. My Quanshengs have about outlived their lives. I've had them for about 7yrs and used them on a daily basis. Don't seem to find them around anymore. Time for an upgrade.

I have an -82 as well. Found online a cheat sheet for it, and in looking for the full manual lost both... razzafrazzin...shortcoming of buying gear from pawnshops.

The pre-ban Baofeng UV-5Rs are still available on the Bay... was me, and the cash available, I'd get 3-4, with individual charger and battery for each, and a battery eliminator for car ops. Laminated cheat sheet attached to each unit. (Come to that, cheat sheets for all my rigs, chip-driven or not.)

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-27-2020, 04:16 PM
What I "still" dislike about the Baofengs is that you can't name the channels you program unless you do it by "computer" other than that you can fatfinger the keypad for pretty much everything else in the field. The rubber duck antennae sucks. At's a throw away right off the bat. I've yet to program and optest these things so there will be more to follow on that one.

At this point I'm not actually adding shit to this thread so I'm outta here!

Socalman
06-20-2020, 06:06 PM
We have actually built up a few stores of canned and dried food. Should the predicted second wave hit us in late summer or early fall, I think we will see panic buying that makes the toilet paper shortage look minor.

Socalman
06-20-2020, 06:14 PM
We have actually built up a few stores of canned and dried food. Should the predicted second wave hit us in late summer or early fall, I think we will see panic buying that makes the toilet paper shortage look minor.

A suggestion is that everyone learn to build a rocket stove. Where we are we have reliable water and natural gas. However, a good earthquake and the water mains break, gas lines rupture. What to do? I have a propane gas grill and always have several bottles around. In addition I have a Coleman camp stove. What if I get to the point of being out of propane without a way to resupply? I build a rocket stove. Simple, very efficient and easily powered by small bits of wood, tree branches, etc. Look at Youtube for a video tutorial on how to build one.

Katrina
06-24-2020, 10:21 PM
Hey all long time no post. We've got 6 of the 7 raised beds all going right now(ANYBODY want salad greens LOL) Been keeping an eye on what's happening here. Had a bunch of idjits start a spike in the the virus No Masks, all grouped up for a restaurant in town over from us.Restaurant had to close down. We're doing good otherwise. DH decided we're going to take a chance and go down to see Son1 and family this week end before the 4th. Face Time isn't cutting it, we've not seen the kids (in person) for over a year now.We'll be taking good precautions and not stopping for food only gas and "potty stops" In and out. Have been stocking up on non food stuffs. I made laundry soap last month, think I went a little overboard. I now have enough for the next 2 years, I followed the directions didn't think it would make THAT much.Have been using it and it seems to work real well and neither of us have had any skin problems, so far. DIL1 had her carpal tunnel surgery (both wrists) and picked up an infection so they had to cancel their trip here. Plus Granddaughter one has moved to dad's and has been accepted into a very good volleyball program. She did a camp last year with the coach. Coach said she was very good, so when coach heard GRD1 was now going to be there , she extended the invite to the program. SO even IF they could travel , they are staying put as GRD1 has to get some instructions to catch up with the rest of the team. So have a Great 4th and stay safe.

bacpacker
06-25-2020, 12:29 AM
Safe Travels Kat

Katrina
06-25-2020, 06:09 PM
Thanks bp. I'm hoping this will be uneventful and can get back home safely.

Kesephist
06-28-2020, 02:39 PM
https://youtu.be/kmDYUrVHPWc for the 4 cinder block version.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-14-2020, 05:52 PM
Well, been doin what we've trying to do for the past year. Sell the other damn house! The biggest PREP of all. Might just have a deal......I just hope I didn't curse it. There's a storm comin still and this puppy has to go in order for us to clean up our last major loose end.

Vodin
07-17-2020, 11:21 PM
Food Preps to replace what has been used since the shut down. Owning our own business and being told not to work / clients getting the same instructions set us back. Happily our eating habits did not change since we eat what we prep. Heavy canning the last 2 weekends and a few coming up. Placed an order in for beef. Luckily everything is falling into place nicely.

bacpacker
07-17-2020, 11:39 PM
We've been canning pickles, will be doing maters tomorrow and dehydrating a boat load of bell peppers. Got a bunch of onions close to harvest time. Also been picking and freezing blueberries for about a month now. We have maybe 2 weeks left before they are all gone. Had a great harvest for only having 5 bushes.

Socalman
03-08-2021, 09:18 PM
Changed out a couple of my water jugs. Tending some of the garden.

bacpacker
03-08-2021, 11:21 PM
PLantin various stuff in the garden

Socalman
04-26-2022, 11:36 PM
Haven't been here for a time, but rotating stored water, using some of the older stored food and restocking and adding some canned goods. Really thinking about getting a case of SPAM.

Katrina
04-27-2022, 03:15 PM
Still kicking it here. It's been rough but we are getting through it. Got a rotating composting barrel the other day and it's getting filled. DH isn't too sure about this but is willing to give it a go. He had our soil tested and other than adding some nitrogen we are looking good. Our plants are on the way, HURRAH. Just wish the #$* weather would settle down. Looking at getting an 6x8x6 wire dog kennel to put around the raised garden beds to keep Bambi and friends out.The plastic rabbit(?) fencing did ok but it was hard to get in and out of the area and make sure we had the "gate" closed and tied down. Been gathering canning jars and lids pretty much every time I go to the store, although DH isn't too sure how much we're going to have to can this year. The stores just took the limits off of how many packs of jars and lids you can get in one trip, YEAH!!BUT there aren't a lot of packs on the shelves just yet. I'm hoping to get a couple more 1/2 gallon jars for some of the dry goods.Will be pulling the dehydrator out and trying to get a lot of fruit done this year so the grands(and us) can have healthier snackies. Will try to keep up on here, hope you all have a safe and bountiful year.

Sniper-T
04-27-2022, 10:52 PM
got a ton of seedling going in the house, be a month before can transplant outside.

hoping for a good year

Katrina
05-28-2022, 06:54 PM
Well DH and I have the garden almost done. Tomatoes, peppers, carrots , onions and the squash are all in now. We still need to erect the fencing around the planter boxes . DH is still planting his flowers. I swear every time he goes out,he brings back more flowers. HA HA HA. We plant a lot for the bees and butterflies. I can't have a hive as I am extremely allergic to bee and wasp stings, So we do what we can to encourage their food sources. And one of our neighbors have hives so we can trade for their yummy honey. We got the apple tees sprayed and hopefully will have a good crop this year. Due to the lousy weather last year we lost most of the apples.Other than that we're doing good.

Gunfixr
05-29-2022, 12:00 PM
We tried a garden last year, our first, but picked a bad spot, everything that didn't drown rotted.
Moved it to a higher spot, already have onions and beans coming up. I'm not sure exactly what will be in it yet, we have a close friend who had to retire early, he bought a camper, and lives here on the property. There's a camper power/water hookup, and small septic system about 300ft behind the house, in a wooded patch. We both work, retail, so jacked up hours, he's doing most of the farm type stuff, I do the mechanical stuff. We got chickens this year, our first, they're about old enough to run outdoors. Been adding stores all year, flour, salt, sugar, pepper. Have picked up some curing mix to cure meats with.

Illini Warrior
06-06-2022, 11:58 AM
We tried a garden last year, our first, but picked a bad spot, everything that didn't drown rotted.
Moved it to a higher spot, already have onions and beans coming up. I'm not sure exactly what will be in it yet, we have a close friend who had to retire early, he bought a camper, and lives here on the property. There's a camper power/water hookup, and small septic system about 300ft behind the house, in a wooded patch. We both work, retail, so jacked up hours, he's doing most of the farm type stuff, I do the mechanical stuff. We got chickens this year, our first, they're about old enough to run outdoors. Been adding stores all year, flour, salt, sugar, pepper. Have picked up some curing mix to cure meats with.

sounds like last year's garden spot could use some attention - wouldn't abandon it as a garden spot if too much moisture was the overall problem - keep an eye open for building materials for raising up the area with growing beds - a foot will make a difference - 18" and 24" all the better - stockpile compost materials and top soil ....

in a serious SHTF - like we have pending & ongoing >>> no such thing as tooooo much garden - having that area prepped and not being utilized is better than not having it available .....

Gunfixr
06-07-2022, 11:46 AM
Top soil is not cheap around here. I had picked the spot primarily because it was semi-hidden from easy view. We didn't do much ground prep, except to kill off the grass, we put soil on top, in mounds. We scraped them up, and moved them to the new, higher spot.
We have plenty of garden area, plenty. Actually, where it is now, it gets sun over more of the day, and has considerably more room for expansion.
The topsoil here is good, but unfortunately only 2"-4" deep before you hit clay.
Planning a small retention pond. We will scrape the topsoil off and keep it, before digging it out.

Illini Warrior
06-07-2022, 01:18 PM
Top soil is not cheap around here. I had picked the spot primarily because it was semi-hidden from easy view. We didn't do much ground prep, except to kill off the grass, we put soil on top, in mounds. We scraped them up, and moved them to the new, higher spot.
We have plenty of garden area, plenty. Actually, where it is now, it gets sun over more of the day, and has considerably more room for expansion.
The topsoil here is good, but unfortunately only 2"-4" deep before you hit clay.
Planning a small retention pond. We will scrape the topsoil off and keep it, before digging it out.

yeh, with that kind of soil condition raised beds is almost a necessity - need to dig a pit and then raise the area to get some drainage for the plant roots ....

best thing you can do is set aside a large composting area and keep an eye out for materials - plenty of green grass and fall leaves - any sawdust - and any soil that isn't pure clay can be broke down into decent planting soil

Katrina
06-21-2022, 02:34 PM
First casualties of the garden are the onions and carrots .DH is really disappointed in the seed tapes as very few of them sprouted.Not sure he's going to try to replant the two boxes,durn it. The other plants are really coming along, tomatoes are thriving and so are our green beans,peppers and the peas. Looking like we might have a bumper crop of them this year.We're going to trellis the squash this year. We moved them to a different box and (knock wood) what ever critter was gnawing on the root systems and the unripe squash last year won't find them.We have two boxes on the ground but everything else is in planter boxes 3ft above the ground.We do grub control but I think last year the stuff the guys used either didn't get put down in time or washed away in the rains we had.It wasn't really effective.I hope this year we will be getting apples, last year the rain washed the stuff off the trees (and ground). Unfortunately we couldn't respray as the buds were out, so most of the apples didn't make it. My across the street neighbor's daughter gave(dumped) her chickens to mom and dad when she and fam had to move down south as her hubs is in the service. Jokingly I said we'd trade them apples for eggs. He came over and we got gifted about a half dozen FRESH eggs the other day. PRAY no one rats them out, not supposed to have "farm" animals here. DH and I were talking the other day, told DH he better not rat them out. Neighbor isn't too happy but his wife wants to keep them. So here's hoping we can continue to get fresh eggs, rather than having to buy them. They are one of the few neighbors we know here and they have been wonderful.She also does a garden and NOW that I have my American pressure canner, I'm going to invite her over and these two city gals are going to learn how to pressure can properly. We both only have done water bath canning.Just hope I have enough jars and lids.

Katrina
08-02-2022, 04:06 PM
HI all, just checking in with you. Have been pretty successful with the garden so far. Only got about 2 qts of green beans but do they taste great. We did get about 6-7 carrots so we've replanted them. DH set up an "automatic" sprinkler system while we were down south,Sorry Lady and BR couldn't get over to see you.Dil1 has a nice house(she had to sell the big one) so we stayed with her for a few days.GRD1 is still having some problems but all of them are going to counseling so we're hoping she will be all right but it's still a big mess. We have about a dozen acorns ripening on the vines. We trellised them this year and it looks like the deer haven't found them(yet LOL) Tomatoes and peppers are doing quite well.going to haul out the dehydrator. My neighbor(the one with the chickens) and I were chatting this morning and she got pressure canner this year so she is learning like I am.She's been putting up meat and still waiting on her veggies as well.We've replanted the peas and the carrots. Provided the weather holds out we should get another crop of carrots and peas like last year. We're heading out for my family reunion in Vegas this week so DH will be activating the sprinkler system again.Neighbor and I were talking about going to the farmers market when DH and I get back and maybe doing a MEGA canning session together.We fenced off the raised boxes and NO DEER this year, YEAH. Looks like I'm going to have a good crop of maters to put up. I've continued to accumulate supplies.Have to haul out the dehydrator and get the peppers done.Other than continuing to trying to heal we're doing okay. Son2 is getting really stressed out as DIL2 is healing, she ha 2 compressed discs in her spine. she has had 2 cortisone shots and she says the pain level is down to 2 now and she can at least get around but she has along way to go. So we've been doing some things for her shopping, taking the kids etc while Son2 is at work..Son 2 has been telling us the warehouse's cranes(pickers) are down so a lot of their frozen stuff and canned goods are not being delivered, can't get them off the 100 foot tall shelves and on top of that the Ohio warehouse was destroyed in the tornado they had so they are now supplying those stores with goods from the warehouses here.

jimLE
01-15-2023, 02:52 PM
I've done nothing to prep for over a month now on account I moved to a new to me address.and I'll be lucky to do any prepping next month.

Gunfixr
01-23-2023, 12:22 PM
You what you can, when you can. There's no set schedule.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-17-2023, 02:26 PM
Well. The rack for 36 solar panels is now built. Trench dug to "shop", Pipe laid and 30 wires stuffed inside. Battery box built and batteries stowed. I'm down to wiring everything up and last thing will be to mount the panels and see what happens. Lady HK has been with me doing the whole thing. This shit cost money to build I will say that.

orangetom1999
12-21-2023, 12:50 PM
I am tossing up and doing more research on this kind of power unit in SHTF.....as I am catching on to them becoming popular among many people now days..not just for SHTF but ordinary outdoor activities...such as camping/fishing et al.

https://www.bing.com/api/v1/mediation/tracking?adUnit=366118&auId=98bf99f2-b0eb-4b82-8b3b-fe9a0bd300bd&bidId=15000&bidderId=4&cmExpId=LV2&oAdUnit=366118&publisherId=17160724&rId=052a3f6c-e5e9-4dd4-b911-86a6b81efbfc&rlink=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bing.com%2Faclick%3Fld%3De 83wIjO4FtccYFTQgbcl1NzDVUCUywYvGUXMrcdAAepNxla5Wvy cPLza6EpEsWpnY1n3lYF5ZWGXte_4pL7NGuyZl9NZxCytqvTpM 3h-8ulLt6CyKOTGbpnQgmBXtBWUzDZPksz_whxI5Hr9whnBTb7mBT SuDB_OgIQc5GXNce0_uO5LaP%26u%3DaHR0cHMlM2ElMmYlMmZ 3d3cuYmx1ZXR0aXBvd2VyLmNvbSUyZnByb2R1Y3RzJTJmYWMxO DAlM2Z2YXJpYW50JTNkNDQxNDMwMjQ5NjM4MDMlMjZjdXJyZW5 jeSUzZFVTRCUyNmNtcF9pZCUzZDUzMDQyOTE1MiUyNmFkZ19pZ CUzZDEzNjMzOTYyNjY5OTIzMDIlMjZrd2QlM2QlMjZkZXZpY2U lM2RjJTI2bXNjbGtpZCUzZDU4N2M5NzgxM2IwMTFlNmZlODBjZ jJmZjk0Njg5MjMzJTI2dXRtX3NvdXJjZSUzZGJpbmclMjZ1dG1 fbWVkaXVtJTNkY3BjJTI2dXRtX2NhbXBhaWduJTNkVVMtUEEtR mVlZCUyNTIwYmFzZWQtcmVtYXJrZXRpbmctYWxsJTI1MjBwcm9 kdWN0LTAzMjglMjZ1dG1fdGVybSUzZDIzMzcwMTE5NjU0MDIwM DAlMjZ1dG1fY29udGVudCUzZHJlbWFya2V0aW5n%26rlid%3D5 87c97813b011e6fe80cf2ff94689233&rtype=targetURL&tagId=edgechrntp-river-10&trafficGroup=zfa_hf_zretr_1&trafficSubGroup=ego_pbageby&ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=c83afe2d970d44a0a5f9d41185a1835d&ei=39

Also am researching what kind or volume of Solar pannel to get for it.

Will buy the solar panels separate as time goes by...but also need to research this as well.

Still researching it ....and will take my time as is my habit with such things...

Orangetom
Not an Ishmaelite.