PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to prep this week?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Sparrow
11-08-2011, 02:41 PM
I am still working on getting in the wood stove. I took it all apart. Sanded and painted it. After putting additional joint sealant on all the cast iron joints. Put in a granite hearth stone with 3+ inches of poured concrete under.

Today I am going to bring it in from my enclose porch-makeshift workshop ... and get the legs back on, and the back flue pieces ... and put it in place. I still have to put all the new gaskets in ... I so need to find my camera, it sucks that I have not one picture of the work on the stove. Camera where are you?!

Ugh, crazy PMS headache doesn't help when having to do work :(

Sniper-T
11-08-2011, 02:47 PM
^
Sounds like you need something like this:
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n135/Dina321/30333.jpg

whenever you're done with your camera... hang it up. If it is always in the same place, you know where to put it and to find it!

:rolleyes:

now where are my sunglasses...

Oh yeah...
:cool:
There they are!

And I can't wait to see this woodstove with a stone hearth and a 3" concrete slab???

:D

bacpacker
11-09-2011, 01:26 AM
Sniper, where'd you get my hanger at?
We took a trip around Lake Supeirior back in 05 and the wife found one of those. I love it.

Sniper-T
11-09-2011, 02:24 AM
Sniper, where'd you get my hanger at?
We took a trip around Lake Supeirior back in 05 and the wife found one of those. I love it.

Amongst other things, I've been a metal worker for over 25 years. This is a photobucket image, of a variation, of a wall plaque that I designed in the early 90's.
The original was on an oval 'plaque' that had the family name underneath. ie... "The Sniper-T's" Given the availability and affordability of plasma tables since then... any picture can be coded and cut from steel. What we used to charge 2-300 bucks for, can now be scanned and mass produced for less than $10 ea. This is a case where the market has destroyed the industry. This is no different than Cabelas or Bass selling those deer or moose profile fire rings. We used to make them from 1/4" thick steel, and they'd last forever... these places pump them out out of 18 Ga and they last for a year... but they are $10 cheaper than we used to sell them for. go figure!

Sniper-T
11-09-2011, 12:46 PM
I posted that last weekend I dried a bunch of mushies... I finally got my phone hooked up to my computer, so I thought I'd post a few pics.

25#'s of mushrooms:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/multiplicity/1104111707b.jpg

1st batch (10 pounds):
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/multiplicity/1104111759a.jpg

drying:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/multiplicity/1104111835a.jpg

Ready to package:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/multiplicity/1105111100a.jpg

Sniper-T
11-09-2011, 12:49 PM
continued:

Second batch:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/multiplicity/1105111201a.jpg

done:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/multiplicity/1106111235a.jpg

packaged:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/multiplicity/1108111659a.jpg

diced and bullion powder:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/multiplicity/1108111659b.jpg

Sliced:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/multiplicity/1108111659c.jpg

:-)

mollypup
11-09-2011, 02:45 PM
I LOVE mushrooms! Now I gotta go out and buy a truckload and dry em.

Sparrow
11-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Wow, fantastic about the mushrooms ... see that is where I hope to be a year from now. House finished, back to work ... and working on projects like that in the evenings and on weekends!

I found my camera! I have no idea how it ended up in my undie drawer :confused:

Sniper-T
11-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Wow, fantastic about the mushrooms ... see that is where I hope to be a year from now. House finished, back to work ... and working on projects like that in the evenings and on weekends!

Thanks... although I am envious about your position... I wish I could afford to take a year off and just work around the house/property

I found my camera! I have no idea how it ended up in my undie drawer :confused:

Sounds intriguing... are there more pics around than on image shack? :o lol
Most likely it was something completely innocent... personally, I blame the cat:

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo21/ccatz_album/JESS%20n%20CAT%20%20Stuff/028_25A.jpg

AlphaTea
11-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Did you put anything in with the mushrooms, like O2 absorber? How long do you think they will store?

Sniper-T
11-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I don't put anything in there... but I make sure that they are dry dry dry!! I used to do them and keep some moisture in them, like jerky... but then they needed an absorber or they'd mould in a month. With an absorber, they'd be good for about three.

Since I have been drying all possible moisture out of them, without an absorber they will last for years. I have some in my LTS in nothing more than ziplocks that are into their 3rd year. and they are as good now as the ones I just put away

Incidentally, I do the same thing when I make jerky. I don't like all the salt that is in the brine, or seasoning kits, so I usually just do a dry rub of spices, smoke it to cure it and then dehydrate it to preserve it. Again... dry dry dry! it should snap with a puff of dust. I'll grind some of this up for bullion, but for the most part it's in my LTS. which essentially is just 'on the shelf'

I have dried meat that dates back into the 90's.
And it is easy enough to restore it to that chewy yumminess!

And before anyone goes bananas... My wife is a labtech/quality officer... and many things get tested in the same manner as the FDA would. If there was a hint of anything amiss... she wouldn't eat it, and she certainly wouldn't let me.

With her help I've got a chicken experiment going. dried 'on the counter' chicken that's going on a year. about every 3 months I open a bag, she takes a sample to work for testing, and then a couple days later we eat it. - not one bag has failed yet! but as a control, she also tests store-bought jerky's/pepperonis/hotrods etc... and you don't want to know how many of them fail, and the types of things present on them (fecal coliform, etc).

bacpacker
11-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Wow some good info there Sniper. And with testing to back it up. You can't beat that.

msomnipotent
11-12-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm pretty happy with what I accomplished this week. My ammo and Auguson Farms orders finally came. I bought a kerosene space heater large enough to heat my master bedroom and bath, a few gallons of kerosene, recharged all of the rechargeable batteries and bought some more, changed out my stored water and bought two more Aquatainers, got a power inverter to keep in the car, two Stoic self-inflating pads and a queen sized air mattress, lots of canned goods and drink mixes, and 108 rolls of toilet paper. It was a good sale and I couldn't help myself. I am rearranging the basement to store it all and make things more home-like if we have to take shelter down there.

My biggest project this week was training my six year old daughter. A 14 year old girl was stabbed to death in her home when she walked in on a burglary in a town not too far from me, which left me pretty rattled. I am making sure that my daughter knows what to do if the door is open, or she sees people in our house, or the house is ransacked. I made sure she remembers our address, phone number, and I am teaching her my husband's cell phone number. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I will show her how to use the emergency escape ladder today, too. I might teach her my parent's phone number just in case, but that might be too much too soon for her. I should put phone numbers somewhere in her backpack, too.

The Stig
11-12-2011, 05:05 PM
My biggest project this week was training my six year old daughter. A 14 year old girl was stabbed to death in her home when she walked in on a burglary in a town not too far from me, which left me pretty rattled. I am making sure that my daughter knows what to do if the door is open, or she sees people in our house, or the house is ransacked. I made sure she remembers our address, phone number, and I am teaching her my husband's cell phone number. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. I will show her how to use the emergency escape ladder today, too. I might teach her my parent's phone number just in case, but that might be too much too soon for her. I should put phone numbers somewhere in her backpack, too.

To me, this represents the heart of prepping. This sort of training and information can't run out, spoil or be replaced by the next latest/greatest gadget.

Well done.

Conscious
11-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Ms Omnimpotent,

Do not doubt the ability of a young mind to be able to memorize a scad of critical information. it's just a matter of patience and perseverance. also, consider throwing excercises in there like a simple 'hey darling daughter, why don't you dial your grandmother's phone for me"... simple, but effective (and i bet your ma would love to have her g-daughter calling of her own volition. and definitely with the backup contact list in the backpack. Kids are sponges, but backups don't hurt. it's why we do what we do.

As for what i did this week?

- been working on my lists, and trying to get a handle on how to priortize my myriad tasks. starting to feeling better, and not so overwhelmed.

- I also made and practiced for the first time ever a hand sling (not sling shot, a sling). fun, and that'll take A LOT of practice, but it'll be nice if i can ever get to the point on being fairly sure i could put a squirrel down with a stone. also, it's very easy to make and weighs bugger-all. directions are here : Slinging.org - 5-Strand Woven Paracord Sling Tutorial - Jeffrey (http://slinging.org/index.php?page=5-strand-woven-paracord-sling-tutorial---jeffrey) . I know most of you have a spool of 550 hanging around, so cut yourself a bit and get to it. fun fun.

- Also, the wife and i hosted a potluck party this weekend. We love doing this and i consider it preppign for a couple of reasons. (A) friendship. Getting your people and even strangers together in the good times just makes for better living through the hard times. (B) Food. Inevitably, a lot of food gets left behind at the hosts house, and while it may not be long term storage, it can easily be the weeks lunches. already cooked, already made. just put in tupperwares and put them in the lunchbox. boom done.

-- Conscious

Sparrow
11-13-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm pretty happy with what I accomplished this week. My ammo and Auguson Farms orders finally came. I bought a kerosene space heater large enough to heat my master bedroom and bath, a few gallons of kerosene, recharged all of the rechargeable batteries and bought some more, changed out my stored water and bought two more Aquatainers, got a power inverter to keep in the car, two Stoic self-inflating pads and a queen sized air mattress, lots of canned goods and drink mixes, and 108 rolls of toilet paper. It was a good sale and I couldn't help myself. I am rearranging the basement to store it all and make things more home-like if we have to take shelter down there.

OMG!!! That is horrifying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to, unfortunately and regrettably point out, that crime against women happens more often then reported or what is show in the media. Here in Canada especially.

I will share my two experiences with crime against women.

1. When I was 20 and living on my own in an apartment in a big city in Ontario Canada, I had a break-in while I was home. The man came in trough the window (fire escape), with a huge hunting knife. I went totally crazy in the moment, like a wild animal, screaming repeatedly while looking him in the eyes: I'LL KILL YOU FIRST.

And I would have, even if it was ripping out his jugular with my teeth while he raped me.

He left and I called the Cops.

Please note that in my teens growing up in Montreal. My 'click' of girls, and myself took many, many self defense courses. One of the biggest and most important lessons I learned is: FIGHT BACK. More often then not these men are cowards and will move on to a frighted docile victim.

2. In the same city, only a few years ago, I witnessed a gang of teens beating a kicking another young person, it was dark so I couldn't see the people well or identity the genders of anyone. The person being beaten was on the ground and lifeless. I called the cops (I was the only person to the detective told me later), there were 50 other witnesses to this.

It was a young girl who had been stabbed before being beaten, she would have died if the ambulance and cops didn't get there - when they did.

I am sorry to share these unpleasant things, but please everyone remember that sick-awful-shit happens (to men and women) ... and always be safe, and vigilant. AND educate your children about these things. Ms. Omni ... it sounds like your girls are VERY lucky to have a mom like you!!!!!!!!!!! I wish every child was so lucky.

Stormfeather
11-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Prepping this week has been a bit unusual for me, I tried doing the dehydrating bananas, there was a hell of a sale on them at the local market, so of course I stocked up! Unfortunately, they came out. . .less than desirable. Does anyone have a recipe for dehydrating bananas maybe, or maybe im just doing it wrong?
Then some of the guys from base showed up, they brought presents! Apparently one of the units thats shutting down training, had a butt-ton (thats .mil speak for "ALOT") of MRE's and hot chocolate powder/coffee/sugar/creamer left over. So my buddies, knowing me, brought it all over to me! I now have 25 extra cases of MRE's 36 cases of coffee singles, (about 480 single servings per case) 14 cases of hot chocolate, and a ton of sugar & creamer! The only downside to this you say? I dont drink coffee! HAHA! What the hell am I going to do with all this coffee? Im assuming just store it like everything else and maybe use it to barter with someday? So now Ive got to make extra storage space for a butt-ton of coffee that I wont use, grrrrr!

izzyscout21
11-14-2011, 02:42 PM
I now have 25 extra cases of MRE's............

roll out a cot.........I'm headed to your place after the PAW...........

mollypup
11-14-2011, 02:48 PM
I bought 4 pairs of wool socks. Big, fat, hairy deal.

O.k. I also mended some clothes and fixed a few holes in some wool sweaters.

bacpacker
11-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Stormy I'm bettin about a month or two after SHTF you'll have a NICE barter item with that coffee. Singles will be very useful for that as well.
Great haul!

realist
11-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Stormfeather I drink coffee...........

Finished up on putting new trim on the house, finished painting the house. Roofers came yesterday started tearing off the roof, the new roof should be completed by Thursday. I plan on putting the new doors we built on the pump house. Painted the first coat of paint on the pump house. Working on putting down my new deck

ravensgrove
11-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Did you soak the bananas in lemon water first? You're gonna want to do that. Then, dehydrate them.

bacpacker
11-16-2011, 12:04 AM
We use lemon juice, honey, and water to dehydrate our produce. Seems to help quite a bit.

JustAPrepper
11-16-2011, 12:25 AM
I may have mentioned this a week ago but Walmart has soups on sale...holiday specials. In the past two weeks I've added four cases of soup to the stockpile.

Fired up the dehydrater for the first time in a long while. We're at one of those weird stage in our tomato harvest...too many to eat fresh but not quite enough to do a reasonable canning session with so I sliced a few and threw them in the dehydrator. As much dehydrating as I've done, I've never been successful at drying tomatoes so I'm hoping this time I can nail it. Also diced a bunch of mini sweet peppers that I buy in bulk from the big box store. They last forever in our fridge and I bought them before we went to Utah but I haven't been able to use them up fast enough since we've been home so today I diced them all up and threw them in with the tomatoes.

Stormfeather
11-16-2011, 06:11 AM
roll out a cot.........I'm headed to your place after the PAW...........

Bring the family, theres always room!

Stormfeather
11-16-2011, 06:12 AM
Did you soak the bananas in lemon water first? You're gonna want to do that. Then, dehydrate them.

Welp. that explains it, no, Ive just been cutting them up, and then setting them in the dehydrator.

mollypup
11-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Yesterday I did some serious security work on the house. Hubby isn't too pee-oe'd about it. Still have lots more to do. I'm trying to get as much done as I can before the economy collapses and things turn to total sh*t.

Today I scored a 100% brand new wool army blanket for little over 7 dollars. If I could have forced myself to wait until Monday I could probably get it half off but I was scared somebody would grab it by then. I got the kids some new shoes for only $2.95/pair. Name brand: Danskin and Tommy Hilfigger.

Got me two new wool blend ski sweaters for 75 cents each!!!!!

Went to the hardware store and bought more staples for the staple gun. (May need to hang plastic sheeting in the near future, who knows?)
Some curtain rod hanger hooks so I can hang some black out curtains tomorrow
A special screwdriver for those kinds of screws that have little squares in the heads. I bought two big boxes of them a few weeks ago not realizing I couldn't use a regular flat or Phillips screwdriver on them.
And more metal 2x4 brackets in case we'll need to barricade some doors later on.

And btw, I have dehydrated tons of bananas without using any lemon. I just slice them medium thin, lay them out neatly side by side on the dehydrator trays, and let them dehydrate for a couple of days. They're a little brown looking but they taste so sweet! I could eat a whole bag of them but I really try to resist since they are very fattening. And they tend to stick to my molars like crazy so after eating some I have to scrape chunks of them off my teeth. Doesn't stop me from cramming them in my pie hole by the handfuls though. :)

bacpacker
11-18-2011, 02:48 AM
Nice find on the square drive screws. The ones I have used while woodworking have been very good quality. I can't remember tearing out a head.

Stormfeather
11-18-2011, 03:54 AM
I made a few loaves of that Amish bread. . . then I ate them. . . so looks like its back to square one this week!

Sniper-T
11-18-2011, 07:39 PM
absolutely nothing! I'm on holidays with my wife in Newfoundland.

But, my inlaws are holding down the fort at home... and the FIL loves to help out, so Imagine my firewood will be stocked up by the house, amongst other things. MIL loves to bake, so the freezers should be stocked up.

:)

bacpacker
11-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Not a lot lately, other than working on the chicken coop. Work has been crazy the last 2-3 weeks.

One thing I got done last night was to hook up and test my new power supply for the comms set up. It's a Alinco DVM-330, 23a 12 volt system. I has an adjustable voltage range. It also has built it protection so it won't trash your radio if the PS goes bad like some other brands will. I gotta get going with the HF antenna I plan on building this winter. I was able to get some new coax ran while we were getting the roof and siding replaced.

bacpacker
11-20-2011, 12:17 AM
I got some more siding up on the chicken coop yesterday. My step dad was up in the attic of his garage and found a aluminum window he had taken out of the house during a remodel years ago. he brought it out with him and we got it installed. Can't beat the price either. I'll post up some more pic's tomorrow.
I also got my tree order in Thursday. I panted 2 figs, a mulberry, nectarine, and plum today. I have 2 pecans to plant tomorrow.
Picked up another 20 gallon's of diesil fuel, a couple of portable LED lights, and a good carhartt coat for this winter working around the place.
Maybe the best thing was picking up a camper from the shop that repaired all the storm damage. The new truck was hooked up for the first time and i gotta say it performed very well. There are some pretty good hills near here and while they aren't long, they are pretty steep. It pulled them with no problems. It also handled the load/wieght a lot better than the old truck did.

Evolver
11-20-2011, 12:32 AM
You sure are building yourself and nice homestead for you and the family there BP.

bacpacker
11-20-2011, 12:45 AM
I hope so. I really wish this place was out in BFE instead of where it's at, but it's in a decent area just to crowded for me. It is resonably covienent for me to get to work. Where I want to be located would take me 1.5-2 hours to get to work. Not practical right now.

Sniper-T
11-22-2011, 02:36 AM
Well, if nothing else, you're making it more sell-able to the next you who comes along... while you're learning from your mistakes and getting your ducks in a row for when you can make the big move to where you want.

Can't wait to see some pics

LUNCHBOX
11-22-2011, 04:32 AM
A few pounds more of beans and rice. Also picked up four boxes of Twinkies "for the kids"--(man I'm so fat)

izzyscout21
11-22-2011, 07:19 PM
I moved to the stix..... that count?

bacpacker
11-22-2011, 11:26 PM
That is close to the top of my list.

Sniper-T
11-23-2011, 01:26 AM
^me too! way to go Izzy!!

I put 1/2 a deer in the freezer, even though I am 3000+ miles from home. lol. My hunting partner went out on the weekend and bagged one. and since we split everything,,, I'm laughing.

Hopefully we'll get a couple more this coming weekend.

Molly... those square headed screws... Those are actually Canadian. They're called a Robertson, and there are three sizes, generally typified by screwdriver handle colour. Green = #1 = smallest. Red = #2 = medium; black = #3 = large. IMO they are the best screwdriver bit made!

Sniper-T
11-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Stopped at a variety/antique/junk store on the way home yesterday on a whim. Boy am I glad I did. Guy had some really great stuff, at some REALLY great prices. most other things he was out to lunch on. BUT, I did manage to pick up two Kerosine lamps in almost new condition for peanuts.

There was a BUNCH of other things there that I want as well, but I didn't want to buy everything at once... I'd rather go back once a week or so, build a rapport with the guy, and possibly get some better deals. He asked why I was interested in the old tools/lamps/etc; so I told him that they'd look great on display in my home... and if something happened, I had backups that didn't require hydro/outside people. His eyes lit up, and he told me about his cabin, where his entire extended family can go and drop off grid for 6 months without needing anything.

found a prepper friend!

Paul-K
11-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Been working on turning a damp section of my basement into a nice dry storeroom.

The Stig
11-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Been working on turning a damp section of my basement into a nice dry storeroom.

Good luck with that. Damp basements can sometimes be a real "joy".

By the way, welcome to the forum. Dive in and hope you enjoy it here.

GunnerMax
11-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Walmart has kerosene lamps for $5. But the loving wife told me we would never need it.

"Wishes for 3 day power outage to make her realize...." lol

Sniper-T
11-25-2011, 06:32 PM
when she's not home, throw the main breaker. then tell her you already called the utility, it's a transformer, that they need to replace it. takes 3 days

have fun!

izzyscout21
11-25-2011, 06:34 PM
I actually picked up a few of those lamps not long ago. They work as well as can be expected for 5 dollar lamps. around here, the kerosene is almost as pricey as the lamp.

mollypup
11-25-2011, 07:49 PM
I find myself sometimes wishing for a week-long power outage in hopes that it will finally get my husband on board with prepping.

izzyscout21
11-25-2011, 07:53 PM
I find myself sometimes wishing for a week-long power outage in hopes that it will finally get my husband on board with prepping.

And I sometimes finding myself dreaming of a Chinese invasion to convice my wife that I do, in fact, need ALL the firearms, and that, no, I do not have enough ammo.:cool:

mollypup
11-25-2011, 07:58 PM
I realized that dehydrated sweet potatoes go really, really, really, and I mean REALLY far when they're re-hydrated. I made the mistake of opening up a bag I had dehyrated some time last year and though they seemed few, they made over 5 big sweet potato pies.

*note to self - only use a few slices next time, not the whole darn bag.

GunnerMax
11-26-2011, 01:05 AM
And I sometimes finding myself dreaming of a Chinese invasion to convice my wife that I do, in fact, need ALL the firearms, and that, no, I do not have enough ammo.:cool:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA

same here.........

LUNCHBOX
11-28-2011, 04:31 AM
Found some canned goods on sale 5-$3.00.....Also picked up some more beans and rice (noticed a $.20 rise in the cost) So much for the can sale.

mollypup
11-28-2011, 01:06 PM

Yep. That's why I've been studying Zhongguo wen for the past several years. I wanna be able to sweet talk myself and family out of a potentially bad situation.

izzyscout21
11-28-2011, 01:14 PM
I could have taught you that.

[http://gifsoup.com/view3/1444357/say-hello-to-my-little-friend-o.gif

Sniper-T
11-28-2011, 01:31 PM
putting another 1/2 deer in the freezer this week. My buddy couldn't make it out for the weekend so he just went to a local field near our places and picked off a nice buck.

Glad I wasted 2 tanks of gas to go up north and get nothing.

lol

Evolver
11-29-2011, 11:48 PM
putting another 1/2 deer in the freezer this week. My buddy couldn't make it out for the weekend so he just went to a local field near our places and picked off a nice buck.

Glad I wasted 2 tanks of gas to go up north and get nothing.

lol

LOL As they say... The grass wasn't greener but the experience was worth it. :)

ravensgrove
11-30-2011, 02:15 AM
I have been working with Eeyore all week, all month actually with this new sled.... that's our now year old Sicilian donkey. Eeyore has been halter trained since we got him at 4 months, but mid summer I worked him up to a full harness and sled pull set up made out of a small pallet. The theory is once he gets comfortable pulling the sled I can move him up to bearing weight on his back. So far so good....until, today I tried putting a sack of feed on his back and he was NOT, N.O.T. hearing it. LOL. So its back to the sled. I put the feedsack on the sled and he pulled that just fine. Hopefully if I can get Big J home long enough to make me some short poles for the dump wagon....by this summer that little donkey will be earning his keep.
Made a bunch more soap base all week, got more in now.
Started harvesting greens out of the hogpanel greenhouse, not bad for 25 degrees out.
Ordered a mess of protein feed tubs to store and secondary clipped the Muscovy's wings.

I think the dragons myths were large Muscovys...the claws on those things are epic, I have several fresh cuts all about my person to attest.

Sniper-T
11-30-2011, 11:26 AM
today I tried putting a sack of feed on his back and he was NOT, N.O.T. hearing it.
Whenever you're out with him physically lean across his back yourself. If he is comfortable with you, he shouldn't get so maligned. slowly push down harder and harder over many days, until you can stand beside him with a good portion of your weight on him. Then when you're walking with him pulling the sleigh, do the same thing with one hand... or something in your hand. even just a small blanket to get him used to something on his back. start light, and add weight as he becomes accustomed to it.

I think the dragons myths were large Muscovys...the claws on those things are epic, I have several fresh cuts all about my person to attest.

huh?

ravensgrove
11-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Muscovy ducks. I had to secondary clip their wings this week and the drakes fought like holy hell.

Sniper-T
11-30-2011, 09:37 PM
I have a couple of low areas on my property, that get great sunshine, and have easy access to water, but don't have very good soil, and are a little soggy for a good portion of the early summer. I have been building garden boxes to elevate my planting beds, which thus far has been working great. Today at work I scored 4 vane tubes, for next to nothing. They already have a food friendly paint on them, and they're segregated into 'plots'. Now I just have to haul them out, place them an fill them with soil/manure. :) <-- me

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/multiplicity/ABCD0001.jpg

JustAPrepper
11-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Wow, Sniper! Those are really cool! I can't wait to see what you plant in those!

bacpacker
12-01-2011, 12:53 AM
Went and paid a cattle farmer for a calf we got off him. he dropped it at the slaughter house Tuesday, weighed 825lbs. We should be getting a nice chunk of beef in about 2 weeks.
Got the roof of the chicken coop today. Also got an order in from Midway with some reloading supplies.

Twitchy
12-01-2011, 01:51 AM
Moping around for the most part... :P Preparing to go out on a shopping trip soon... I see beans and rice in the future...

Sniper-T
12-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Wow, Sniper! Those are really cool! I can't wait to see what you plant in those!

Tx...

I figure one will be dedicated to lettuce and spinach. I figure if I fill two (opposing) slots each week, I should be able to keep a nice rotation going and have fresh all summer.

I'll probably do another one with some kind of tomatoes... because I love tomatoes!

I'm not sure what the others will contain yet... but I have a huge pile of heirloom seeds that I want to ratate through this year.

I also have a bunch of steel brackets made up that I can bolt to the top flange, that will extend up 4 feet, then a quick wrap of chicken wire, and no critter issues!

izzyscout21
12-01-2011, 10:23 PM
I set up my new Diamond brand USMC combat tent. review to follow.

JustAPrepper
12-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Raven's bread recipe got me in the baking mood. In addition to making her recipe I'm back to converting a very old Artisinal white bread recipe to a Whole Wheat recipe. I'm getting closer.

Grumpy Old Man
12-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Got in a set Midland FRS/GMRS handhelds and my study guide for my HAM technicians license. See what you've done Stg1?:)

mollypup
12-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Bought me a big ol' honkin' metal clothes drying rack!!! Supposed to have 75 square feet (or something like that) of drying space. I don't actually have it yet, but I ordered it and it should be here in a few days.

ladyhk13
12-03-2011, 02:18 AM
Got in a set Midland FRS/GMRS handhelds and my study guide for my HAM technicians license. See what you've done Stg1?:)

My DH has been sitting on this stuff for a year and hasn't done a thing with them...you should come to our house and light a fire under his butt to get him to get his darn license. I do have to say that he is using his GPS out on the properties we've been looking at though and has pretty much mastered how to use a small hand held one instead of the big ones he got spoiled using in the military...he whined long enough while learning though :)

p.s. he keeps saying it's like using a G.I. Joe GPS...too funny. Big fingers, little buttons LOL!

bacpacker
12-03-2011, 02:27 AM
Grumpy,
Check out the study guide on this site.

QRZ.COM Practice Amateur Radio Exams (http://www.qrz.com/ht/)

You will have to register first, but they are set up with practice test that rotate thru the question pool until all questions are covered.

I used this site to upgarde to General class. I just study'd until I was consistanly making 80-85% then went and took the test. Let me know if I can help.

ladyhk13
12-03-2011, 04:09 AM
I bought some more canning jars and lots of lids! Gotta do more chicken!

JustAPrepper
12-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Got a bunch of tomatoes sliced up and put in the dehydrator.

Sniper-T
12-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Added another deer to the mix. Got a nice little buck yesterday morning!

mollypup
12-05-2011, 05:01 PM
I went out and bought a lot of flat iron in various lengths and other hardware items to begin my more serious phase of home security. Also a pair of blackout curtains. And I got a humongous truckload of firewood!!! Wait til the hubby sees what he has to unload when he gets home lol!

mitunnelrat
12-05-2011, 10:03 PM
I finally put my snow shovel and window scraper in my car :D

Stormfeather
12-06-2011, 04:16 AM
The Mail lady dropped off two more bucks that her boys shot the other day, got them alld ressed out, about 170 pounds of venison! Working on cutting up jerky as we speak, and canning more turkey.

Sniper-T
12-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I finally put my snow shovel and window scraper in my car :D

I keep meaning to do this... and the extension cord too!

madpiper
12-06-2011, 02:03 PM
I took Lunchbox up to the house I'm buying in Michigan so he could see where it is and how to get there. We also walked the property and assesed defending it - and he decided if he ends up evacing there he wants to live in the barn which is fine because I have discovered that he snores.

JustAPrepper
12-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Asked Evolver to pull down my tub of spices. Need to refill some jars in the pantry and make my annual end of the year order.

msomnipotent
12-06-2011, 04:47 PM
It has been slow for me because I am diverting money for Christmas presents, but I did get some more kerosene for the space heater and wood for the fireplace this week. I also FINALLY convinced my husband that we need really cut down on the spending and get the bills paid off. I wouldn't say he is on board yet, but he finally said that he understands why I want what I want (like guns), and I have noticed that he is much more aware of the news. Just last month, he had no idea what I was talking about when I would bring up the day's news. Now he tells me that he has already heard when I bring something up. Priceless!

mitunnelrat
12-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Sniper, I find it both fortunate and unfortunate that I don't need the extension cord. It means it doesn't get cold enough for my current car to warrant it, but that also means I don't have a diesel pick up yet!

madpiper, I'll give you a premature welcome to what I feel is one of the greatest states in the union! If you're comfortable giving a slightly more defined location I'd be more than happy to see what I know and can answer about the area or laws here - if you ever have any questions.

Sniper-T
12-06-2011, 09:16 PM
well, I don't have a diesel, and my truck will start at -50. but it's hard on it. So once it starts hitting -30 I like to plug her in.

mitunnelrat
12-06-2011, 09:32 PM
The coldest it generally gets here, at the extreme, is -20 F. I only mentioned the diesel because they're the only ones I see plugging in around here. At your temps, I'd definitely be looking to set up heaters in my gasoline engine. What are you set up for? The oil pan and coolant?

Sniper-T
12-06-2011, 10:17 PM
just a block heater in the coolant. Diesels will generally have one in the oilpan too, and often a battery warmer.

I went on a sno-mo trip a few years back. we all spoted our trucks on the side of an old logging road, and left them for 9 days. It hovered around -45C for the entire time. when we got back, mine was the only one that started. after it warme up, I boosted the three other gas ones, but then two of us had to drag the diesel up and down the road for a while to get the liquids liquid again in it.

Man, was that a cold trip!!!

mitunnelrat
12-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Wow! That would be cold. I think I'm ok with not going any further north!

On another note, I was able to order two MOLLE-lok's for my <ahem> "custom" holster set up. Pics and a review of the setup will be forthcoming after their arrival and mounting.

Daca102090
12-07-2011, 03:55 AM
recieved 1600 rounds of 7.62x25 from sportsmansguide. Surplus Bulgarian for $125 per 8oo rounds. Now I must finish building the 1911 for the ammo.

Sniper-T
12-07-2011, 11:21 AM
got one of my deer butchered last night!

ladyhk13
12-07-2011, 11:05 PM
We just closed on a deal for 243 ACRES!!!!!!!! Finally we found a piece of property! After 2 years of looking we got it and it went so fast! It was a bank foreclosure that is actually a part of over 600 acres and they were willing to split it so we took a great part that looks like the area is full of people just like us. We started offering yesterday and had 4 counter offers and by 5:00 tonight we had a deal! Amazing when dealing with a bank foreclosure. Ok, I have to say that I haven't seen it yet in person but I found it online and sent my DH out to look at it and told him that if he loved it I would trust his judgement and we would go with it (we did put in the contract that we have 2 weeks for me to see it and if I don't like it we can get out of it though haha). I'm sure I will love it since everything seemed so right this time...we just bought a huge diesel tank, been really storing stuff, saving money money and out of debt, and it's close to my sister which was a really concern since all the other properties we had been looking at were hours away from her.
I am so excited that we found our large land (well to us it's large). Now when we are ready to move - not in a hurry though, I will finally be able to get my GREY DONKEY!
YAHOO!!!!!!!

mitunnelrat
12-07-2011, 11:14 PM
That's about 3x the size of what I eventually want to settle on, wow! Congrats!

bacpacker
12-07-2011, 11:23 PM
FANTASTIC NEWS Lady. You guys have been looking for land for a long time. Glad you finally found what your looking for. 243, you should be able to grow a few things on that. Congrats!

ladyhk13
12-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks BP! But it takes us further away from you :( it's in Maury County but we're excited.

izzyscout21
12-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Thanks BP! But it takes us further away from you :( it's in Maury County but we're excited.

you're still not too terribly far from me.

ladyhk13
12-08-2011, 03:22 AM
you're still not too terribly far from me.

Yeah, I think we'll be about an hour and half away (maybe a little more)...our realtor lives in your town. He's awesome, you'd like him.

JustAPrepper
12-08-2011, 05:24 PM
AWESOME news, Lady!!

Sniper-T
12-08-2011, 05:27 PM
congrats! you're gonna love going out and wandering around YOUR place.

Looking forward to seeing some pics (opsec safe, of course)

ravensgrove
12-08-2011, 10:20 PM
I am sort of "un" prepping this week....and for a couple of months to come...while still simultaneously staying vigilant at the same time...'cause you never know. Try then mental apples on for size.

ladyhk13
12-09-2011, 02:49 AM
congrats! you're gonna love going out and wandering around YOUR place.

Looking forward to seeing some pics (opsec safe, of course)

Yeah, our place now is only 28 acres and the neighbors are too close to do what we want and the house is way too big so we decided to get big land and build smaller (but 2) houses and I can have some animals.

I'll try to get some pics soon! Thanks all you guys. I am so excited...we won't be moving there for quite some time but it'll be fun planning and getting it all ready. I would like to check into those concrete panel houses? I know they have ones that are foam filled but they aren't as "secure" as concrete so I have some digging to do.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-09-2011, 12:43 PM
243 acres! well I guess that out does my 500 gallon fuel tank for $500 bucks............"must have more fuel, must have more fuel." "Precious, precious, come here my Precious." TAKE OFF THE RING DAMNIT! OK, so sounds like you are going to have your hands full Ladyhk13. Plenty of places to build a bunker, does it have water, cave, any of the goodies? I'm sure after 2 years you guys got all the esentials eh?

eagle326
12-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Seems to me that you might have your own private gun range if you want. SWEET.

Evolver
12-09-2011, 09:25 PM

Yeah for even a tank! :)

bacpacker
12-09-2011, 11:03 PM
That is so cool Lady! I am envious big time. I looked your county up, you are a good haul from here. Having been down that way a few times, (I think Fall Creek Falls is a couple counties over) there is some great farm land there. Growing food shouldn't be too bad, raising stock either.
You are planning it right IMO. Take time to go there and lay things out according to the lay of the land, sun paths, and seasons. That will pay very good results.

The concrete panels would be secure. Easy to set up RAD protection? And a great heat sink for winter heating.

JustAPrepper
12-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Yeah, well, ummm...<feeling incredibly insecure after Lady's purchase, lol>

I bought 25#'s All Purpose flour today, with in store coupons. It's been off my radar for years since we grind our own wheat but dang it, I'm tired of trying to convert recipes from white to wheat and just want to be able to walk in to the kitchen and whip up some of my mom's famous French Bread and a few pie crusts...and Raven's Amish Bread...her Doughnuts are still on my list. :D

mollypup
12-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Well, nothing so magnificent as buying 243 acres of land, but I did can a few more jars of meat and put up some more 2 liter bottles of water. I found a manual hand beater at the thrift store too. Oh yeah, and 5 brand new oil lamp replacement chimneys (a dollar each) for the oil lamps I have. Those were a great find!

GunnerMax
12-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Situating my gear (MOLLE), bought more bullets, cleaned all of my guns, watching "walking dead" to see what ideas I can get from it (this stemmed from pure curiosity of the Walking dead hype), put a sling on each of my rifles, made friends with a local gunshop owner.

Stormfeather
12-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Finally got size small/medium trauma plates for the wifes Eagle Scalable Plate Carrier. Seemed like a total pain the ass trying to find small/medium plates. Got her Safariland Thigh rig set up for her glock, and finally got her bug out bag packed out the way I wanted and not the way she wanted! (minimum makeup/haircare products, maximum first aid survival gear!)

bacpacker
12-11-2011, 02:36 AM
I picked up another Blast Match for the wife's GHB. A Gambrel for hanging animals or other uses. I also found shell holders for the 9mm and .308 reloading set ups.
I've also spent quite a bit of time reading the Lyman's reloading book I picked up. I figured i'd try and understand what I'm suppose to be doing, maybe by the time I get set up to load, I will understand it.
We defrosted both freezers today and cleaned out a bunch of old food that had been in there for years and certainly wasn't good any longer. Got a good start on a new compost pile and got the freezers ready and organized for our beef that should come in this week or next.

eagle326
12-11-2011, 02:41 AM
A Gambrel for hanging animals or other uses.

I'm not even going to ask you what the other uses might be Backpacker. :rolleyes:

bacpacker
12-11-2011, 02:59 AM
We'll I'll tell you anyway. I have a drafting table I haven't used in several years that I don't want to get rid of. So I thought about hanging it from the rafters out in my shop. What's the easiest way to do that? A gambrel. At least that's my line of thinking. :)

eagle326
12-11-2011, 03:29 AM
We'll I'll tell you anyway. I have a drafting table I haven't used in several years that I don't want to get rid of. So I thought about hanging it from the rafters out in my shop. What's the easiest way to do that? A gambrel. At least that's my line of thinking. :)

Good thinking.

ladyhk13
12-11-2011, 03:55 AM
That is so cool Lady! I am envious big time. I looked your county up, you are a good haul from here. Having been down that way a few times, (I think Fall Creek Falls is a couple counties over) there is some great farm land there. Growing food shouldn't be too bad, raising stock either.
You are planning it right IMO. Take time to go there and lay things out according to the lay of the land, sun paths, and seasons. That will pay very good results.

The concrete panels would be secure. Easy to set up RAD protection? And a great heat sink for winter heating.

Yeah, your county is going to be far from us now but Izzy will still be within shooting distance. Guess you are gonna have to look for some land this way when ya get ready to head out, huh? lol! I'm gonna see the place tomorrow for the first time and of course it's going to be freezing cold (that's why I sent him out alone to begin with!) There is good water, lots of springs originating on the property and creeks, totally wooded so we should be ok as long as it isn't full of rocks! I'm getting excited! Will post some pics!

ladyhk13
12-11-2011, 03:59 AM
Well, nothing so magnificent as buying 243 acres of land, but I did can a few more jars of meat and put up some more 2 liter bottles of water. I found a manual hand beater at the thrift store too. Oh yeah, and 5 brand new oil lamp replacement chimneys (a dollar each) for the oil lamps I have. Those were a great find!

It is kind of cool Molly but great job on the hand beater!!!! I can't find one that isn't all rusted, guess I could go find a new one but it's not as much fun.

ladyhk13
12-11-2011, 04:03 AM
Originally Posted by eagle326

Yeah for even a tank! :)

Got the range covered, we have one here so the DH has the bugs worked out how to build it so we're good.

Guess the tank could take the place of a bulldozer????

eagle326
12-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by eagle326

Got the range covered, we have one here so the DH has the bugs worked out how to build it so we're good.

Guess the tank could take the place of a bulldozer????

Please Ladyhk13 don't use a bulldozer.It was my main piece of equipment in the Army. Though I operated all the other pieces.
Every time I see one I wish I could sneak onto one and see if I still have some of the skills. :(

Grumpy Old Man
12-11-2011, 06:23 PM
I am having dental work done. I had a root canal Friday. Does that count?

P.S. Getting old ain't for sissies!

GunnerMax
12-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Tested the shotgun, the feasibility of having my dump pouch with75 rounds of 12ga shells. Learned how to shoot moving targets with the shotty.

ladyhk13
12-12-2011, 02:17 AM
Please Ladyhk13 don't use a bulldozer.It was my main piece of equipment in the Army. Though I operated all the other pieces.
Every time I see one I wish I could sneak onto one and see if I still have some of the skills. :(

You are sooooo needed here!!!!!!

eagle326
12-12-2011, 02:56 AM
You are sooooo needed here!!!!!!

Oh my!! What do you have going on?

ladyhk13
12-12-2011, 03:21 AM
Oh my!! What do you have going on?

Getting ready to close on 243 acres of wooded bliss in the middle of nowhere! Need to create pasture, ponds, basements for a main house and a small house and fencing....OH MY is RIGHT!!!! Oh yeah, did I say we want to do all of this totally off grid with hydropower and solar????

Met the neighbor today and thank God he does ponds and has an engineering background so he should be a good source of info and help. Good thing we know this is going to be a long term project!

eagle326
12-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Getting ready to close on 243 acres of wooded bliss in the middle of nowhere! Need to create pasture, ponds, basements for a main house and a small house and fencing....OH MY is RIGHT!!!! Oh yeah, did I say we want to do all of this totally off grid with hydropower and solar????

Met the neighbor today and thank God he does ponds and has an engineering background so he should be a good source of info and help. Good thing we know this is going to be a long term project!

Sweet deal for you and hubby. Be sure to check out your neighbors other work he has done. You have your hands full going totally off grid. I personally would push it as fast I could considering our current political state. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. Hell I'd bulldoze for free just because that was my first love for equipment . ( POWER) :)

As a side note; I have a 77 yr. old uncle in very good health who wants me to help find him some land near people like us. Guiding him towards Tennessee. He has no debt and pays cash only or doesn't buy. Waiting right now to hear back from him thru snail mail. Please post some pictures if it doesn't affect ospec. I promise not to cry with envy too much. Would love to see your project progress.

izzyscout21
12-12-2011, 10:03 PM
I picked up 12 Motorla Saber 2 radios for the group to use. They are encryption capable, and should extend our mobile to mobile operating range much farther out than FRS type radios. I think I'm set on coms now.

ladyhk13
12-13-2011, 06:13 AM
OK, going to put up some pics that we have of our new property...all seems to be going fine so far!
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/1024707.jpg/][IMG]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/861/1024703.jpg/][IMG]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/1024700.jpg/][IMG]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/1024698.jpg/][IMG]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/waterfallv.jpg/][IMG]http://www.shtfready.com/general-discussions/
The waterfalls are 10' tall and have a small cave behind it...these are only a very small part of the water, still haven't seen all of it or even all of the land yet!

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/1024691.jpg/][IMG]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/683/1024686.jpg/][IMG]

Let me know if I screwed up the pics...I can't see them up, only the URL's

izzyscout21
12-13-2011, 06:23 AM
you didn't put the links in correctly, but a little copy and paste and I was able to pull them up.

Nice place. Let me know if you have any furry animals I can shoot........

ladyhk13
12-13-2011, 06:27 AM
you didn't put the links in correctly, but a little copy and paste and I was able to pull them up.

Nice place. Let me know if you have any furry animals I can shoot........

Well there's over 600 acres right now and it's all a hunting lease until Jan...they manage it for the big bucks. Too bad I don't eat deer.

eagle326
12-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Links don't work for me and I'm too computer illiterate to do as Izzy did.

ladyhk13
12-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Links don't work for me and I'm too computer illiterate to do as Izzy did.

I'll try to figure out how to post them properly

bacpacker
12-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Nice property. I love all the water. What's upstream from your place, Town, business? Some good looking timber as well.

ladyhk13
12-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Nice property. I love all the water. What's upstream from your place, Town, business? Some good looking timber as well.

Absolutly nothing! It takes us at least 5 minutes through someone else's property to even get to our property. One town NE of us has no stores and don't even know if it has a stop light, the one SE of us has a few stores...maybe. Haven't really gone and checked it out yet but think it's ok in a pinch. Will probably have to travel more than 1/2 hour to get to any real stores but I know that it's still a fairly small town but has all the stuff we would need. We are really in a place that is perfect for a SHTF location...I think God was looking down on us for this one. My sister is 20 mins away through back roads. There is more water than I even put on the pics and I am so excited! Maybe you and Izzy will be able to come down once we get settled and check it out, I still need to meet your wife! Do you know how to post pics the right way? I can't find the instructions that were posted a while back.

mitunnelrat
12-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Lady, I tried editing for you but my blackberry won't cooperate. On editing, try putting before all of your links, and at the end if the link, the [IMG] code should actually look like this

Let's see if that helps

mitunnelrat
12-14-2011, 01:44 AM
One of Lady's images, if my fix is correct:
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/1024707.jpg/]

Stormfeather
12-14-2011, 02:57 AM
LOL, you guys killing me trying to post pics. . ..

LadyHK, love the pics of the property! Looks like you got a hell of a deal on a great property! Congrats!

mitunnelrat
12-14-2011, 03:53 AM
Its killing me that I can't! LOL

My blackberry was being a pita over editing, and now my home computer is too! This isn't cool.

Sniper-T
12-14-2011, 11:12 AM
my turn...

For you m'Lady...

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/2811/1024707.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/1024707.jpg/)

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/4033/1024703.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/861/1024703.jpg/)

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/3645/1024700.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/1024700.jpg/)

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2883/1024698.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/1024698.jpg/)

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/38/waterfallv.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/waterfallv.jpg/)

The waterfalls are 10' tall and have a small cave behind it...these are only a very small part of the water, still haven't seen all of it or even all of the land yet!

Sniper-T
12-14-2011, 11:20 AM
and the final two:

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7217/1024691.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/1024691.jpg/)

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/8219/1024686.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/683/1024686.jpg/)

Very nice Lady. That's truly an awesome spot!

msomnipotent
12-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Words can't describe how jealous I am! One acre lots in my town can cost anywhere from $300,000 to $1,000,000, and that might not include a house on the property! We can only get that kind of open space in a forest preserve here. It is a beautiful piece of paradise you have there!

eagle326
12-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Sniper T you're the man. Now I have to dry my eyes from crying because of pure envy. :o

Stormfeather
12-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Sniper-T saves the day! Gld2 C 1 of us iz internet L337 enuf 2 dewit! LOL! (this is because I would have probably talked trash, tried to do it, then failed, and looked like a complete fool!)

Stormfeather
12-14-2011, 10:33 PM
my turn...

For you m'Lady...

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/2811/1024707.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/1024707.jpg/)

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/4033/1024703.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/861/1024703.jpg/)

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/3645/1024700.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/1024700.jpg/)

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2883/1024698.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/1024698.jpg/)

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/38/waterfallv.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/waterfallv.jpg/)

And this is why I hate you guys. . . Ive always wanted my own private BatCave. . . and you guys have one!

bacpacker
12-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Wow that is one AWESOME place you have there. I know you all can't wait to get out there and get started.

ladyhk13
12-15-2011, 04:08 AM
You guys rock!!! Thank you Sniper-T for going through all that trouble to fix my pics...I am such a computer dummy. I still have to pinch myself to comprehend that we are actually going to close on over 240 acres on Dec. 30th!!!! We were told neighboring landowners and hunt leaseowners wanted it and were blessed that our offer came in first and was accepted before we ended up in a bidding war. Land is getting so expensive no especially if there is good water and has privacy and can have good pasture areas. I can say in fact that we will close with built in equity...yahoooo!
When we start demolition I'll post pics (might need your help Sniper!) so you can see progress, however slow. DH says we need to buy a bulldozer now. AND an old 4WD truck....guess I say bye bye to my Volvo :(

bacpacker
12-15-2011, 10:03 AM
You will like driving the dozer better than the volvo for sure. Just think of all the neat things you can do with it.

eagle326
12-15-2011, 12:31 PM
You will like driving the dozer better than the volvo for sure. Just think of all the neat things you can do with it.

As we used to say in the Army ; We can move heaven and earth just stand clear.
Just remember to respect that dozer because it can injure or kill you if you get in on the wrong slope ; incline or decline.

mollypup
12-15-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm glad you finally found your perfect place Ladyhk13! :D

Sniper-T
12-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Lady... you should start a thread about your new place, and update it as you go along.

I pulled out the sawzall, and cut up all the leftover bones from my deer. got 3 crates of yummies for my dog.

bacpacker
12-16-2011, 01:12 AM
I picked up a feeder similar to the one Helomech had in his thread. They just opened a new Academy sports store a few miles from here. Their having some good sales right now. The feeder is suppose to hold 330# of feed, got it for $80.

realist
12-16-2011, 02:00 AM
Tilled the garden, got all the weeds out and leveled it for planting. Other than being cold, for us, in the mid 30s it was like a nice spring day. Painted the pump house and shed with another coat of primer.

ladyhk13
12-16-2011, 06:01 AM
As we used to say in the Army ; We can move heaven and earth just stand clear.
Just remember to respect that dozer because it can injure or kill you if you get in on the wrong slope ; incline or decline.

Well we have to find one first and then my DH will have to "allow" me to drive the thing. My luck he'll hog it all and I'll be stuck with the Kabota all the time. Guess I'll have to fight for what I want, huh?
We'll have to look for a 4WD truck of some sort (we have a Suburban now but need something with ass to pull), maybe a travel trailer to park out there so we have a place to stay while we're out there....so much money now to spend...oh my!

Might take me a little while to post my thread since we're going to have to walk the whole border and DH is a stickler for details so there is a lot of stuff he'll want to do before even getting down to work! LOL....men!

bacpacker
12-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Time spent planning things out now will translate to fewer " i wish i had done things differently" later. We thought we had planned our house pretty well and layed out what we wanted where when we built. Looking back we should have slowed down and planned things out better. We know better for next time now.
Enjoy your walk it's gonna be sweet.

Sniper-T
12-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Take a camera with you on your walks... or better yet take two! You'll each see things differently, and having lots of pics will help you decide what you're going to do in the future.

Seem silly? when I bought my place, this is what my wife and I did. One area that I saw as nothing but brush, and wanted to till over, she took pictures of, and checked it out. Turns out they were all immature plum trees.

The money spent now, is merely an investment into the rest of your life. Enjoy the ride!

eagle326
12-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Well we have to find one first and then my DH will have to "allow" me to drive the thing. My luck he'll hog it all and I'll be stuck with the Kabota all the time. Guess I'll have to fight for what I want, huh?
We'll have to look for a 4WD truck of some sort (we have a Suburban now but need something with ass to pull), maybe a travel trailer to park out there so we have a place to stay while we're out there....so much money now to spend...oh my!

Might take me a little while to post my thread since we're going to have to walk the whole border and DH is a stickler for details so there is a lot of stuff he'll want to do before even getting down to work! LOL....men!

If you can find one with a tilt blade worked from the operators seat at a good price it would be worth checking out. It affords you more possibilities when operating.

bacpacker
12-16-2011, 01:18 PM
I would also recommend a couple notebooks and writing utensils. Make drawings. Of potential roads or trails. Location for geurilla gardens. Or just notes on location of trees, building sites, directions , sun location at certain times during season.
Also get a couple rolls of survey tape to mark stuff with. Number them and make notes in the book as to where and where.

eagle326
12-16-2011, 01:56 PM
I would also recommend a couple notebooks and writing utensils. Make drawings. Of potential roads or trails. Location for gurilla gardens. Or just notes on location of trees, building sites directions , sun location at certain times during season.
Alos get ac couple rolls of survey tape to mark stuff with. Number them and make note in the book as to where and where.

Everything as stated above and maybe Google earth or some other satellite imaging to get an overview of your property and building ; garden ; animal set ups.

bacpacker
12-17-2011, 12:28 AM
I went and picked up our beef from the slaughter house. We now have about a half freezer full of meat. :)

ladyhk13
12-17-2011, 02:42 AM
Everything as stated above and maybe Google earth or some other satillite imaging to get an overview of your property and building ; garden ; animal set ups.

Google earth and Acme mapper are the first things we check out. DH is totally detailed oriented when it comes to land, topo, water sources, easements...you name it. That's what has taken us 2 years to find a piece to find. Sometimes he gets a little too detailed that it can get crazy. But we get through it and go on. Thanks for all of the great advice guys! I know this is a huge undertaking and I keep seeing earth movers and changing the total landscape even though I know it won't be that bad (I hope)...I just think it's going to be a nightmare with all of the mess of creating roads and leveling somewhere to put the houses because I know the place we decide to put them won't be where the land will be cooperative! Of course I will want to overlook water and still have south facing windows and shelter from the north...the constrction for maximum energy effeciency has to take as much of a priority as the view. Those nasty little details that I just know I'm going to forget as we go along! So keep up with the advice and if I already know it, fine...but if I don't, wonderful!
Might not be on here too much over the next week or so due to Christmas, my son is coming home from college and there is so much to do before family comes up from Fl next week as well. So I'm not ignoring any of you, just busy as I'm sure most of the other Ladies here are. Thanks again everyone!!! Merry Christmas to all!

eagle326
12-17-2011, 03:25 AM
I can only wish you and the husband the best of luck in pulling this off. I believe time is short but I have all the confidence in you two. Remember detail is everything within reason. You just have to find the middle ground.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year with safe travel for all family members to and fro from your residence.

Stormfeather
12-18-2011, 06:20 PM
I went and picked up our beef from the slaughter house. We now have about a half freezer full of meat. :)

Did the same thing, I cheated this year and had the slaughterhouse make all of my sausage and trail bologna this year instead of doing it myself. Seems like Ive got so many damn irons in the fire, that Im finding it hard to keep up!

bacpacker
12-18-2011, 06:24 PM
That's no joke! I'm having trouble figuring out which iron to pick up next. Between that and company over seemingly on a constant basis. I've had a hard time getting anything done the last 2 weeks.

msomnipotent
12-22-2011, 03:06 PM
I haven't done much this week. I recharged the jump starter thingy for my car and re-read the directions. I bought a little silver with money I made from a survey, so it was like free silver for me. I bought two turkeys that I plan to can after the holidays. The weird thing is I got a container of formula mailed to me from Similac. My only child is almost seven years old. I'm keeping it just in case.

bacpacker
12-22-2011, 11:57 PM
I've been too busy to do much this week. I was able to pick up oil and filters for the truck. Filters for the tractor as well. I've got a bunch of PM's to do coming up this winter. Plus I want to start keeping regularly performed maintenance spares on hand. They will be cheaper now rather than later. Plus they'll last a while if I need them to.

LUNCHBOX
12-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Well, I picked up an 870 extended tube a while back and needed to pair it up with something so I got an 870 to go with it. Its like women with shoes and purses....lol. I picked up enough 1x boards to build a 16 x 20 shed 8' tall. Got them from my lumdermill buddy for a steal. Won't use them till next spring but nice to have just in case.

Stormfeather
12-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Just finished emptying out the oil and gas in the generator. Stocked up on new oil to put in it when the time comes, and filled up the extra gas can for it that I emptied out.

I haven't done much this week. I recharged the jump starter thingy for my car and re-read the directions. I bought a little silver with money I made from a survey, so it was like free silver for me. I bought two turkeys that I plan to can after the holidays. The weird thing is I got a container of formula mailed to me from Similac. My only child is almost seven years old. I'm keeping it just in case.

I did the same thing you are with the Similac. I did a baby survey once and now I get tons and tons of baby food sent to me. Not only do I keep it stored, since that stuff is good forever almost, But Ive gotten at least 400 jars of it set aside! if anything, it can be disbursed out to those with little children.

Sniper-T
12-23-2011, 09:21 PM
NOt much!!! made three \potluck dinners to take to various functions out of nothing but the dehydrated food I had saved.

1. chili
2. lasagne
3. deer stroghanoff.

ak474u
12-25-2011, 05:31 AM
Got a few goodies under the tree, just waiting for tomorrow, gave wife a want/need list dunno what she picked.

GunnerMax
12-26-2011, 12:13 AM
doing a complete breakdown of my mossberg shotty and cleaning it with my new 65 piece gun cleaning kit. ALso got waterproof matches, a waterproof match holder, 2 sets of hiking socks, and a kerosene lantern for christmas. I also got 2 bottles of fuel. Also, a Carhartt knit cap, brown, to add to the mix.

realist
12-27-2011, 02:59 AM
Got two 22 conversion kits for my son and mine 1911s. If you do not have one for your 1911 I highly recommend you get one. They are great.

msomnipotent
12-27-2011, 05:41 PM
I started my prepper resolutions. I started working out today, and I went through the Christmas decorations before I threw them in the basement. I now have two empty Rubbermaid containers and a bunch of junk for the garage sale. I am really hoping to get that basement organized before tornado season.

Sniper-T
12-29-2011, 07:12 AM
dehydrating 1/2 a pot of chili right now

Evolver
12-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Finally got around to bucketing, mylaring and O2ing 350lb worth of white bean, rice, Hard white wheat, soft white wheat and yellow corn thats been stacked in the corner for a year now and sealed 50lb of wheat gluten in 1gal Mylar bags. I put an O2 in each bag and I'm thinking I shouldn't have... the gluten might turn into a brick.

realist
12-30-2011, 11:36 PM
Evolver why would the gluten turn into a brick??

Hay, Hay I just made my first jelly!!!! We made 7 pints of pomegranate jelly. Making it was a snap, getting the juice out of the pomegranates was a whole another story.

izzyscout21
01-03-2012, 01:33 PM
I started cleaning up after all the holiday craziness. I think that for me, this counts as my weekly prep activity.

realist
01-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Canned 12 pints of pomegranate jelly. Put away Christmas things.

Sniper-T
01-03-2012, 02:11 PM
I went through my entire kitchen, cabinet by cabinet, drawer by drawer, and threw out/packed away anything that didn't have to be there. Freed up quite a bit of space, and just made everything neater. Also gave me a good idea what I need to focus on for my upcoming Pantry remodel.

Sniper-T
01-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Canned 12 pints of pomegranate jelly. Put away Christmas things.

did you make it from the juice or from the fruit? Sounds delish!

msomnipotent
01-03-2012, 04:53 PM
I went through my entire kitchen, cabinet by cabinet, drawer by drawer, and threw out/packed away anything that didn't have to be there. Freed up quite a bit of space, and just made everything neater. Also gave me a good idea what I need to focus on for my upcoming Pantry remodel.

I am doing the same thing, only whole house. We plan on putting our house on the market in 2013 and it will probably take that long to get through our junk. We are planning on switching from big house, small yard to smaller house, big yard and garden. Maybe some chickens if they are allowed!

I paid off one of the credit card balance transfers before the zero percent expired. It feels good, but there is a lot more where that came from!

I realized last week that my family is not used to trying new foods, which will be a problem if things go to hell and we have to cook something strange just to survive. I am starting slow with familiar foods that I just haven't cooked before, like lasagna and shepard's pie. It is going better than expected with my husband, and just as expected with our picky 6 year old. I really want to have our daughter eating things like asparagus and mild curries without complaint by summer. One can only hope.

Grumpy Old Man
01-06-2012, 05:11 PM
I got two 15 gallon drums for water storage for $15 each at my local feed store. They are the blue food grade that Emergency Essentials sells for ~$45 each. They must have had cherry syrup concentrate in them, because they sure smell like it! It was a great deal. Incidentally, the reason I only buy water storage in the smaller sizes is that 15 gal x 8.33 lb/gal = ~ 125 lbs, about the most I can move by myself without significant risk of injury!

LUNCHBOX
01-07-2012, 08:30 PM
^^^Grumpy, that's good planning on the weight issue.

Since it was 50 degrees out today, I hit a flea market. Picked up 4 boxes of 00 buck, a load of fishing hooks and sinkers, couple folding tables and a few loose tools. I didn't have $20.00 in the whole package.

ladyhk13
01-07-2012, 09:47 PM
I just canned chicken veggie soup (will add the noodles when we are ready to eat it) for the first time! Had lots of broth left over so I canned it too so now I'll have stock to use later to make other stuff! It tasted really good....I took a sip! Yummy!

The Stig
01-07-2012, 11:35 PM
I worked on the drainage ditch that runs across the front edge of our property. The water drains towards it and I've spent time off and on all summer/fall enlarging it and making sure the water can flow.

It's not real sexy but I do want to prepare for bad storms/hurricanes so that we don't end up with Lake Shelton in our front yard.

bacpacker
01-08-2012, 03:15 AM
I've finally gotten all the construction on the coop finished except for the gutter. I have 300-400 board ft of Oak left over. Some of it is 10-12' wide and pretty clear for non-heart wood. Their is also some 1-1/2" thick stuff. Not sure what I'm gonna do with that yet. On top of that I have 3 other stacks of various stuff, some 2x stuff.
I needed to organize my stuff better, both in the shop and basement. So I have pulled stuff out of the shop and moved it around so I can build a lumber rack to get all my spare lumber in one space and organized for use as needed. I got started on the rack today and hope to finish assembling it tomorrow. Maybe get some of my lumber on it as well.
I also got a big shelving unit put up in the shop today as well. It's about 39" tall x 49" wide with three shelves. It's gonna be for spare parts for the truck and tractor, some oil and fuel treatments.
One of the best things, I got a work bench cleaned off and ready to move to the basement to set my reloading set up on. The bench was one my GrandPa's. I got it when he passed. I also found a old vise that was his. I forgot I had it. It needs cleaned up and put to use again. It's gotta be a 40's or 50's era version, weights a ton for as small as it is.
Getting all this stuff sorted and organized is going to give me a lot of room to do other things and should have all this done well before time to start planting the garden.

Fatty
01-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Going out to buy some ammo for my newly purchased Mosin Nagant. I figure a 440 round sardine tin is about all my shoulder will handle:)

ladyhk13
01-09-2012, 12:07 AM
I am doing the same thing, only whole house. We plan on putting our house on the market in 2013 and it will probably take that long to get through our junk. We are planning on switching from big house, small yard to smaller house, big yard and garden. Maybe some chickens if they are allowed!

I paid off one of the credit card balance transfers before the zero percent expired. It feels good, but there is a lot more where that came from!

I realized last week that my family is not used to trying new foods, which will be a problem if things go to hell and we have to cook something strange just to survive. I am starting slow with familiar foods that I just haven't cooked before, like lasagna and shepard's pie. It is going better than expected with my husband, and just as expected with our picky 6 year old. I really want to have our daughter eating things like asparagus and mild curries without complaint by summer. One can only hope.

Do you think if you have her actually help you make these new dishes she will be more apt to try them? I think kids are more open to things that they are involved in or think that they have a "choice" in. Maybe with the asparagus melt a little cheddar cheese on top to start with? Think like a kid and not like a grown up.

The Expendable
01-09-2012, 03:48 AM
Filled up another five gallon gas can using PRI-G gas preserver. Put 40 pounds of white rice into buckets. Bought several BOGO Chunky Soups at Publix.

Sniper-T
01-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Going out to buy some ammo for my newly purchased Mosin Nagant. I figure a 440 round sardine tin is about all my shoulder will handle:)

But... what about the next day? and for stocking?

Stormfeather
01-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Picked up 250 rounds of 45 ACP at the local gun show this weekend for $75.00, was the last they had. Still on the lookout for some surplus 7.62x39 thats cheaply priced. Also picked up a holster for the DW for her LadySmith. Its a interesting model that uses heavy duty magnets to hold it closed on the belt. I tried it on then tried about everything to yank this sucker off and it wont come off, but if I do it very deliberately, it comes off easy peasy. . . Must be too much Mongo Smash in my diet. . .

Sniper-T
01-10-2012, 01:55 AM
still working on the reno's... and working on an updated inventory of existing preps...

The Stig
01-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Put together a chest rig based off a Tactical Tailor MAV chest rig. It's going to ride in the trunk of my car and contains a bunch of pouches for gear as opposed to being oriented towards "fighting". It is replacing the BOB I had in the trunk.

More details to follow in an upcoming thread.

bacpacker
01-11-2012, 01:08 AM
I'm thinking out a different fighting rig, should it ever be needed. Some of my weapons have changed since I set my old one up. Figure It's time to fix it up right and get a load out put together.

Also picked up a new day pack, gonna set it up for a second GHB for the truck, I have a good Mountiansmith butt pack in the car for GHB.

LUNCHBOX
01-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Put together a chest rig based off a Tactical Tailor MAV chest rig. It's going to ride in the trunk of my car and contains a bunch of pouches for gear as opposed to being oriented towards "fighting". It is replacing the BOB I had in the trunk.

More details to follow in an upcoming thread.

Stig, don't get me wrong I like the idea....I just feel it advertises that your equipped/prepared. You won't just be shuffling along with the crowd in a full rig. The pack/GHB is more evasive as to what you are carrying. If you do go that route, I'd max out ammo and maybe even throw in a short shotty.

Oh yeah...I picked up 10 lbs of sugar and salt. A few assorted can goods also.

Alas Babylon
01-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Hit the grocery store for the buy on get one free sale on canned goods, and ended up with lots more. Amazing how all those cans of food just jump off the shelf into my cart.
Also hit the local drug store and picked up lots of additional first aid suplpies: bandages, wipes, lotions, ointments.

izzyscout21
01-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Cleaned out the Commander (this is a feat in and of itself)

Oraganied all the emergency supplies in back of said Commander

Made tie-downs for said gear in back of said Commander

Put together first aid/ trauma kit for said Commander, Strapped down with aforementioned tie downs created for said Commander............

Have I said enough?

mollypup
01-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Canned a bunch of chicken, bottled a bunch of water, and now I'm getting ready to can a bunch of spaghetti sauce.

bacpacker
01-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Na izzy! I think you need to go on awhile.

ladyhk13
01-13-2012, 06:03 AM
Canned a bunch of chicken, bottled a bunch of water, and now I'm getting ready to can a bunch of spaghetti sauce.

I would like to know what everyone does with the water they put in the used soda bottles??? How long do they stay good? Isn't it easier to buy a Katydine (sp) filter instead of storing all those 2 liter bottles that could leak? Just wondering. I bought several gallon jugs of drinking water and had them stored in a temp controlled room and they leaked all over the place so I'm really leary about storing water in the house. Maybe once we get a basement I would buy cases of bottled water and just stack them or something since they probably would have a longer shelf life than tap water. Thoughts?

sidewinder
01-13-2012, 11:19 AM
I would like to know what everyone does with the water they put in the used soda bottles??? How long do they stay good? Isn't it easier to buy a Katydine (sp) filter instead of storing all those 2 liter bottles that could leak? Just wondering. I bought several gallon jugs of drinking water and had them stored in a temp controlled room and they leaked all over the place so I'm really leary about storing water in the house. Maybe once we get a basement I would buy cases of bottled water and just stack them or something since they probably would have a longer shelf life than tap water. Thoughts?

If there was a nuclear event or some other thing like a volcano explosion that spewed ash or radioactive fallout all over the country, you may not be able to get outside to access water. So having some saved is better than nothing.

Milk jugs are not good water containers. The soda bottles are thicker and a different type of plastice. Don't forget a soda bottle is made to handle the pressure of the carbonation. These empty bottles are already tested and ready to go. You could use them outside to sun purify water too.

mollypup
01-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Yep, milk jugs type containers are made to decay and though I still have about 4 that I bought nearly two years ago and haven't yet started leaking, I'm sure they will if I don't empty them in the near future. Soda bottles are cheap, easy to clean and fill, and can be stacked in layers. I have a tower 4 levels high in the basement. I lay sturdy cardboard on the tops of the bottom stack of bottles, put another stack on it, and keep building until they are about as high as I dare go with them. And, I've used the water out of bottles that I filled 2 years ago and the water was fine. All I did was aerate it some by pouring it into a pitcher and it tasted fine. I usually pour flavoring powders into the oldest water but it can be drunk without it.

mitunnelrat
01-13-2012, 08:00 PM
I ordered Mainstay bars in both a 2400 and a 3600 calorie pack, and used a gift card from Christmas to buy a backpacking tarp. 606 Tarp 5ft x 7ft (http://www.outdoorproducts.com/Products/-/12)

My first tarp was a 6' x 8' rather than 5' x 7', but I'm not too concerned. This new one packs up much smaller and lighter than the first, and that, coupled with the fact that I had more than enough tarp to cover my ass before, leads me to believe I'll be more comfortable overall. I'll see if it holds up next month. I hope so. Life could suck if not.

The Stig
01-14-2012, 12:19 AM
I flew back home from Providence RI this morning (left RI at 6:00am....yay) and it reminded me of a prep I've been overlooking.

I need to invest in a TSA approved steel club to beat the shit out of idiot passengers who irritate me.

Don't forget the necessary items folks.

izzyscout21
01-14-2012, 02:45 PM
I flew back home from Providence RI this morning (left RI at 6:00am....yay) and it reminded me of a prep I've been overlooking.

I need to invest in a TSA approved steel club to beat the shit out of idiot passengers who irritate me.

Don't forget the necessary items folks.

But Stig,

you needent look very hard. There is already one in existence. WIthout the TSA secuirty check headache. Already pre-positioned for you no matter where on the plane you sit:

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-14-2012, 03:35 PM
And then there's those Trans-atlantic and Trans-pacific flights. 9 hours.................I always wanted to bring my slingshot.............kids............people you love to hate............one's that deserve it..............just for fun...............yup, you just had that picture in your head didn't ya? Oh yeah, like ducks in a barrel. Not like you can't make one on a flight right?

Be safe.................the night is your friend

Sniper-T
01-14-2012, 06:28 PM
A prominent 'businessman' friend of mine flies with a 'baton' of sorts all the time. While it wouldn't be lethal in an encounter, it would be more than enough to deter a box-cutter wielding passenger.

He simply bought a retractable antenae for a vehicle (heavy duty), cut it to about 2 feet, and then threaded a crosman pen tip into the open end. He either carries it in his breast pocket, and lets it go through the scanner, or leaves it in his briefcase (carry-on), and lets it go through the scanner.

It has never been questioned, or looked at a second time. He once showed me that a quick whip with it, he could almost cut a watermelon in half. Yeah, the same thing wouldn't happen to a person, BUT... I did get him to whip me across the forarm with it (and he held back) and even through my winter coats, it still numbed my hand, hurt like hell, and surprised me enough that he knocked me on my ass with a straight-arm. Even through the clothes, it left quite a welt and a significant bruise.

He smacked some other stuff with it, and it was damaged beyond repair, but still made for a formidable 'impromptu' defensive weapon. Especially in a situation where you may find nothing else as readily.

Izzy; I was forced to fly one time with 2 broken eardrums.. with the painkillers (prescrip and non), I ended up ripping one armrest off, severly damaging the other, and cracking one back support of the seat in front of me. Without tools, it would be mighty difficult to make use of one. Unless you use it to bang someones head into.

izzyscout21
01-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Izzy; I was forced to fly one time with 2 broken eardrums.. with the painkillers (prescrip and non), I ended up ripping one armrest off, severly damaging the other, and cracking one back support of the seat in front of me. Without tools, it would be mighty difficult to make use of one. Unless you use it to bang someones head into.

I'm sure that should I be properly motivated, I could do a good bit of damage with the armrest, to include getting it off the seat.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-14-2012, 07:47 PM
OK back on track, after replacing the new breaker in the shop. I glued and clamped together some black walnut planks to make a removeable tabletop for my leather "treadle" sewing machine that I am restoring. It's an off grid kinda machine but great for making harness, holsters, boots, shoes, etc. The weather's been my enemy in this project. But I loooovvve the smell of black walnut when it's being cut. ummmmmm, good! Purdy stuff!

izzyscout21
01-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Just revamped my 1st/ 2nd line gear

ravensgrove
01-14-2012, 09:15 PM
I am spending my time between three things: walking up and down our mile hill working on that cardio, going cross eyed reading through flora data for windbreaks and prairie/pasture grasses to pick both for the new place in NY, and practicing skills I already have, but have lots of down time so in the interest of staying busy...rabbit hides, cooking purely from scratch, making cheese, candles et all.

Sniper-T
01-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Sounds great Raven... but are there NEW things that you can add to the mix? identify some local fauna, find uses for it. identify some local flora, for the same purpose...

Instead of trying to inflict your previous local knowledge on a new locatiion.... find out what is currenly working there and utilize it better, and in other ways?

???

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Just revamped my 1st/ 2nd line gear

What's a 2nd line gear izzy?

mitunnelrat
01-15-2012, 12:22 AM
I have a thread on it somewhere, I'll link it for you.

mitunnelrat
01-15-2012, 12:23 AM

Here you go
http://www.shtfready.com/equipment-basic-supplies/line-gear-discussing-concept-application-454.html

izzyscout21
01-15-2012, 01:12 AM

Thanks for the link MTR.

I'll re-hash it for those like me, too lazy to click the link.

1st line is more along your basic necessities. In the case of my belt, it is basic survival, commo, and defense equipment.

2nd line gear is what is more commonly described as your fighting rig. Plate carrier, chest rig, etc. It's the gear you use to go to "work"

3rd line is more sustainment than anything else. Gear you go back to live off of and resupply the 1st and 2nd line equipment.

LUNCHBOX
01-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the link MTR.

I'll re-hash it for those like me, too lazy to click the link.

1st line is more along your basic necessities. In the case of my belt, it is basic survival, commo, and defense equipment.

2nd line gear is what is more commonly described as your fighting rig. Plate carrier, chest rig, etc. It's the gear you use to go to "work"

3rd line is more sustainment than anything else. Gear you go back to live off of and resupply the 1st and 2nd line equipment.

His 4th line is of course me........hahahaha.

mitunnelrat
01-15-2012, 01:38 AM
There's a special term for you LB, when I remember it I'll let you know, but its the name of the station that outfits inprocessing soldiers... lol

izzyscout21
01-15-2012, 01:39 AM
^^

Ask him how my credit is............

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-15-2012, 03:44 AM
OK I can put away my tool box, false alarm, I thought we were talkin "gears".........now I understand. No I actually carry a BOB in each vehicle that is packed primarily for survival all around. You never know when what or where it's going to happen on the road. First aid, fire, clothing, self defense, sustainability. I have a bag in the house that is packed for CSAR combat search and rescue, and 2 that are "spelunkin" cave ready. I have a ready belt for each rifle, droplegs for each pistol. So no matter which one I pull from the locker there is a ready belt w/mags hanging to go with it. Makes it easier that way. It's all grab and go. I haven't got to these great little level IIIA body amour sets yet. One black and small for the wife. The other is coyote brown, both the molle type waiting for more crap to hang on it. But it's been my experience to leave the armour to itself. Keep the Tactical seperate. When one has to enter the water, some things become loadbearing. This is where that para cord comes in handy. Tie it off and pull it in later, depends on your situation. You might want to wear one and drag the other, as situation dictates. The level IIIA that I wore, was "point blank" you wear under your blouse, full trauma plates front and back and I thru my float coat and tac gear over top. That's how I wore it in them rubber boats. Way less cumbersome that way. Actually wasn't hard to swim with it on that way either. Pack your gear right and you won't sink....................I try to inventory my bags every 4-6 months.

Be safe.....................the night is your friend.

izzyscout21
01-15-2012, 01:58 PM
OK I can put away my tool box, false alarm, I thought we were talkin "gears".........now I understand. No I actually carry a BOB in each vehicle that is packed primarily for survival all around. You never know when what or where it's going to happen on the road. First aid, fire, clothing, self defense, sustainability. I have a bag in the house that is packed for CSAR combat search and rescue, and 2 that are "spelunkin" cave ready. I have a ready belt for each rifle, droplegs for each pistol. So no matter which one I pull from the locker there is a ready belt w/mags hanging to go with it. Makes it easier that way. It's all grab and go. I haven't got to these great little level IIIA body amour sets yet. One black and small for the wife. The other is coyote brown, both the molle type waiting for more crap to hang on it. But it's been my experience to leave the armour to itself. Keep the Tactical seperate. When one has to enter the water, some things become loadbearing. This is where that para cord comes in handy. Tie it off and pull it in later, depends on your situation. You might want to wear one and drag the other, as situation dictates. The level IIIA that I wore, was "point blank" you wear under your blouse, full trauma plates front and back and I thru my float coat and tac gear over top. That's how I wore it in them rubber boats. Way less cumbersome that way. Actually wasn't hard to swim with it on that way either. Pack your gear right and you won't sink....................I try to inventory my bags every 4-6 months.

Be safe.....................the night is your friend.

remind me to get you to pack my bags.........

ravensgrove
01-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Sounds great Raven... but are there NEW things that you can add to the mix? identify some local fauna, find uses for it. identify some local flora, for the same purpose...

Instead of trying to inflict your previous local knowledge on a new locatiion.... find out what is currenly working there and utilize it better, and in other ways?

???

The climates are almost entirely different as is the flora/fauna. I have like I said been spending hour upon hour in the NY flora website. Until I get there, thre isn't really much I can do outside read the interwebz..trust me I have read every homestead/farming/gardening in zone 5 website on the interwbez in the past 5 weeks. I have a few books on zone 5 now as well...but there really is only so much you can learn from a book its all conjecture...I know this all too well we have moved a plethora of times. Also much of what works here...won't work there because the growing season is 1/2 as long and it is much colder...much, much, much colder also totally different type of soil. At any rate, as far as animals go, I'll be raising the same breeds of livestock, rabbits and poultry I have raised for years...outside meeting their requirements to stay warm in teh ridiculously insane cold and finding what trace minerals are lacking in the area...there wasn't much to learn. I am in this horrid holding pattern that is driving me insane.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-15-2012, 08:17 PM

Well it seems you and I were a few years apart during part II of Iraq. All that navy trainin still stuck in my head, Army training judging by your "CIB" has you workin out of a different tool box. Hence your line gear. But........staying on topic, I have shaped and sanded the black walnut tabletop and strut for the leather sewing machine. I can't wait to get this one up and runnin. Izzy you were going to make a shoulder holster rig for Sniper-T? PM me please.

Be safe...........the night is your friend

izzyscout21
01-16-2012, 01:11 PM

Well it seems you and I were a few years apart during part II of Iraq. All that navy trainin still stuck in my head, Army training judging by your "CIB" has you workin out of a different tool box. Hence your line gear.

Yeah, I was there 07-08.

sooooo.......what you're saying is..........if I come over with an empty bag and puppy dog eyes, you wont fill it up with goodies?????????:(

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-17-2012, 04:11 AM
Yeah, I was there 07-08.

sooooo.......what you're saying is..........if I come over with an empty bag and puppy dog eyes, you wont fill it up with goodies?????????:(

Hey I don't know man, we got two dogs, you come over lookin like that and I cannot be held responsible for what happens after that.................

Be safe...........the night is your friend.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-17-2012, 04:52 AM
I did find some goodies today when I went cruizin the antique shops with the wife and daughter today. I picked up two Navy electronics storage boxes for (none of your business) stuff, a leather splitter, leather punch both made in USA, oh and a brass plumb bob. Also an original 1969 Tandy publication Leatherwork manual in brand new condition. You can find alot of good hand tools around here (middle Tenn) if you know what you're lookin for. And one container of Brown Shinola shoe polish. For those of you who don't know the difference I'll have to post the picture.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/shineola.jpg/)

Be safe....................the night is your friend.

msomnipotent
01-18-2012, 04:57 AM
I added a tiny bit to the emergency savings, paid off the smallest credit card bill, and cleaned out more of the basement and a few closets. I am finding strange things everywhere. Why on Earth did I have baby detangler in the office cabinet? I never got tangled in a baby.

LUNCHBOX
01-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Picked up some more can goods, salt, sugar, rice and beans (dry)

Mounted the new 870 to the extended tube I bought, added a side saddle soon after. (Its almost worth shooting now)

ladyhk13
01-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Found 2 mason jars full of old buttons at an antique shop and washed them, cut off all the old thread and fabric and separated them into colors and sizes. Took hours but now I have a great start for some projects that I want to do. Buttons have gotten so expensive! Was going to buy muslin to create patterns as well but the price is through the roof so I jokingly told the lady at the store I should buy old sheets instead. She told me to go to GoodWill on Mondays because that's when they have all their sales! She told me not to buy the muslin and the old sheet idea was great! Gotta admit that she was an older woman and probably wouldn't have gotten the same response from someone young.

ak474u
01-19-2012, 03:01 AM
I bought some Maxpedition 5" Tac-Ties for some of the maxpedition pouches I have been wanting to mount on BOB, they should have to put a warning label on Tac-Ties that they are an ass-whoop to thread, and get in place so they'll actually hold, they hold well, but geez. My one and only complaint with Maxpedition is: Nothing they make comes with straps for mounting on MOLLE, I don't want them sewn on, I just want them to come with my pouches. It irks me that they are one of the more expensive readily available, high quality, gear manufacturers when it comes to packs and really well designed pouches, but no attachment straps? argh!

Pouches for mags and other goodies on the way shortly.

Grumpy Old Man
01-19-2012, 04:52 PM
I got my 73 Jeep truck 4x4 shipped down from Green River WY yesterday. It is at Doc Werden Racing beginning the engine rebuild even as I type. Why an engine rebuild? My oldest grandson was running straight 30 weight in it in the winter in WY-threw a rod. Kids, you got to love them, but sometimes a good flogging seems in order.

Taz Baby
01-20-2012, 04:14 PM
got our Macgyver guy started on designing our gasifire today. Should be built by the summer and ready to use. Everyone needs a Macgyver guy in their group.

izzyscout21
01-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Not necessarily prep related, but I used my birthday money to buy some tools.

Sniper-T
01-20-2012, 04:19 PM
I am the Macgyver guy

bacpacker
01-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Picked up some fence post and fencing for the chickens.

ladyhk13
01-21-2012, 02:13 AM
Not necessarily prep related, but I used my birthday money to buy some tools.

If they are power I'm all over that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-21-2012, 02:16 AM
Almost done with my Singer Model 29-4 leather sewing machine. I have a few more little parts coming and she'll be up and running. I have a detachable tabletop that I'm making that's almost done. Singer made tham but I've never been able to find pictures of a true original so I had to wing it. But this machine will come in handy. It's going to keep me even busier learning a new toy! Boots, shoes, holsters, harnesses, leather goods, name it...........

Be safe................... the night is your friend

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4500/50741026.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/50741026.jpg/)
http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/8021/294a.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/813/294a.jpg/)

TroubleShooter
01-21-2012, 02:21 AM
Pulled all wisdom teeth......Would suck to have teeth issues during a disaster....

mitunnelrat
01-21-2012, 03:11 AM
I got a late Christmas gift today that's prep related. My ex got me a Leatherman Micra. Seems to be a pretty cool little tool.

izzyscout21
01-21-2012, 04:27 AM
If they are power I'm all over that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hand tools actually. I'm too clumsy for most power tools.

bacpacker
01-21-2012, 04:20 PM
MIT The wife and I both have a Micra. They are sweet little tools. Ande the weight next to nothing.

Taz Baby
01-21-2012, 08:34 PM
pulled wild onions and greens out of the woods to make salad for tonight. Took pics of creeks and waterfalls to know where we need to redirect the water when it rains alot so it don,t flood our land. We have rain for the next 3 DAYS.

mitunnelrat
01-21-2012, 08:40 PM
MIT The wife and I both have a Micra. They are sweet little tools. Ande the weight next to nothing.

It is sweet, and I figured out really quickly the end of the can opener is great for opening MALICE clips. Probably the best tool I've used for that yet. I'm already wondering about my key mod for it though, lol. I've never used the nail file on a SAK, likely won't with this, and if I put the key on this instead of my full size tool I think I'd even be able to use it in my ignition because it is so small and light.

bacpacker
01-22-2012, 12:44 AM
The blade used for the Phillips screwdriver is one of my favorites. It works very well for smaller stuff.

LUNCHBOX
01-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Finished putting up shelves in the basement @20 feet long, 3 shelves high with 22 inches of stack space on each shelf. Picked up some 5 gallon buckets to re-pack my dry goods in. (see "packing weight" thread in food section for reasoning why) Picked up another 550 rds of 22 ammo. (next stop...faraday boxes)

GunnerMax
01-22-2012, 11:53 AM
ordered two 48 round shotgun shell belts. And a MOLLE shotgun scabbard for the backpack.

Taz Baby
01-22-2012, 01:30 PM
The gererator shed is almost done, just needs a door. Next is building a attached kitchen. Plans are drawn and now waiting for the lumber.

Stormfeather
01-23-2012, 12:55 AM
Just purchased some more batteries and a charger for radios.

ak474u
01-23-2012, 03:34 AM
Batteries, tac-ties, some kydex for an adapter that I'm going to make for a holster (Think Serpa MOLLE Mount) some more canned goods, Arsenal AK Mag followers on the way, and a new US made flash-hider for my Yugo folder. Vest pouches, drop leg dump pouch, and pistol mag pouches coming next week.

Sniper-T
01-23-2012, 11:53 AM
This was actually last weekend, but I didn't have the pics up yet.

I made up a HUGE batch of chili, and dehydrated most of it for LTS. It's all broken down into serving sizes for my wife and I, and vacusealed, then packed into an airtight drum.

a few pics of the process:

Grinding the meat (in this case deer):
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/IMGP6939.jpg

Chopping onions:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/IMGP6940.jpg

Frying the meat with garlic, onions and celery:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/IMGP6946.jpg

Blending flavours:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/IMGP6944.jpg

Once it was all ready, I popped the pots into the oven to simmer, for about 4 hours then loaded up the dehydrator trays.

Taz Baby
01-23-2012, 02:36 PM
sniper T, how do you dehydrate chili? Won,t the juice run through the holes?

Sniper-T
01-23-2012, 03:03 PM
you use the plastic tray sleeves, aka fruit rollup trays.

you can see them pictured in this thead here:

http://www.shtfready.com/food-water/since-so-many-seem-dehydrate-your-own-mre-s-would-you-mind-sharing-your-technique-957.html

where I dehydrated lasagne, and turkey soup

izzyscout21
01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
I made a GIANT Farady cage out of a truck bed toolbox and mounted it to the wall in my barn. Pics to come...........

LUNCHBOX
01-24-2012, 10:25 AM
This was actually last weekend, but I didn't have the pics up yet.

I made up a HUGE batch of chili, and dehydrated most of it for LTS. It's all broken down into serving sizes for my wife and I, and vacusealed, then packed into an airtight drum.

a few pics of the process:

Grinding the meat (in this case deer):
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/IMGP6939.jpg

Chopping onions:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/IMGP6940.jpg

Frying the meat with garlic, onions and celery:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/IMGP6946.jpg

Blending flavours:
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/IMGP6944.jpg

Once it was all ready, I popped the pots into the oven to simmer, for about 4 hours then loaded up the dehydrator trays.

That looks terrible and would you ship me some asap.....lol. Seriously though, I like the grinder set-up you have. I worked out a trade with a guy I work with--I have eggs and he has deer meat. 1 dozen eggs=1 pound of ground deer meat every week (more if he needs them)

Sniper-T
01-24-2012, 11:26 AM
nice arrangement!

my dad built that grinder back in the 50's I could not even count how many animals have been through that thing!

I've set up a bracket on the back side of the grinder, so I can mount my grain mill, and if I pop the belt off the motor, I can put a spare long belt on there, and run off of a bicycle tire on a wind-trainer.

bacpacker
01-25-2012, 12:58 AM
I got my new power supply Ham Radio Outlet | ALINCO DM-330MVT | 5-15VDC 30 AMP SWITCHING PWR SUPPLY - GV (http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-003728) wired up and hooked up to my home radio. Tested everything out and it worked as good as it did with the old supply. This supply is so much better quality than my old one. Plus it is a 30 amp unit, where the old one was only 20 amps. Plus it has circuitry in it to protect the radio's running off it.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-25-2012, 03:25 AM
I made a GIANT Farady cage out of a truck bed toolbox and mounted it to the wall in my barn. Pics to come...........
Well I hope it's made out of aluminum, er ah, foil, ah, stuff, ya know? So it will deflect electromagnectic swamp farts refracting off of Uranus. Cause that stuff can give you brain damage man.............my wife said "NO" to the shipping container. Maybe it was the cost of the crane and the trac hoe to dig and bury it? Izzy you Kill me...

Be safe............the night is your friend.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-25-2012, 03:37 AM
Picked up the 45watt solar panel kit. Going to do some experimenting with that testing out different lights and appliances in the 12VDC system. Have to figure out what types of things the wife wants to throw out now before we buy them all in bulk for the new homestead. I think I saw her thumbing through a Backwoods Solar catalog making a list of different things to look up and order off the internet to try out. Best figure it out now.

Be safe............the night is your friend

mollypup
01-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Picked up the 45watt solar panel kit. Going to do some experimenting with that testing out different lights and appliances in the 12VDC system. Have to figure out what types of things the wife wants to throw out now before we buy them all in bulk for the new homestead. I think I saw her thumbing through a Backwoods Solar catalog making a list of different things to look up and order off the internet to try out. Best figure it out now.

Be safe............the night is your friend

I looked at a solar kit on Harbor Freight yesterday but didn't make the plunge to buy it. I'm still trying to figure out everything that I'll need and how to hook it all together. It's so hard trying to figure out which the best 12 v deep cycle battery, which is the best inverter I can get for the amount I have to spend (not much) and how do I get the whole thing working? I bought a book on solar panel uses but it's waaaaay over my head and starts off with bigger projects than I had in mind. I'd just like to be able to use a computer, maybe the TV and to recharge batteries and electronics. That kit on Harbor Freight only gives you the panels, but not a battery. I can't remember now if it included a inverter. Is there a thread here somewhere discussing solar panels and how to use them????

BTW, I ordered one of these earlier this morning. A dutch oven from Amazon for about 40 dollars. Amazon.com: Universal Housewares Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Camping Dutch Oven: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VTMV5C/ref=oh_o00_s00_i01_details)

izzyscout21
01-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Well I hope it's made out of aluminum, er ah, foil, ah, stuff, ya know? So it will deflect electromagnectic swamp farts refracting off of Uranus. Cause that stuff can give you brain damage man.............my wife said "NO" to the shipping container. Maybe it was the cost of the crane and the trac hoe to dig and bury it? Izzy you Kill me...

Be safe............the night is your friend.

You're right. Yes, it is aluminum. and it has this really cool SHTFREADY paint scheme........... that I may have gotten a buzz from..............cause I'm stupid and spray painted inside............. SOmetimes I dont think things through.