PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to prep this week?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

izzyscout21
01-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Oooh ooh!!

Got the verbal commitment from the wife. After all the crazy settles down, I get to have some chickens, rabbits, and a couple goats. We shook on it. Then I almost had a heart attack. Not sure if it was because of shock or the paint fumes..........

mitunnelrat
01-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Awesome! I wonder if she's wondering if it was the paint fumes on her end now too? :D

Sniper-T
01-25-2012, 05:08 PM
As we sat down for dinner last night, I flipped on that "Surviving Disaster" show. My wife has seen parts of a couple of them, but hasn't said much in the past.

Yesterdays was the Pandemic one, so naturally the Lab stuff peaked her interest right away, and she watched the whole thing. When they were at the part about fortifying their home against looters, my wife asked what it would take to be able to secure our crawlspace. It's really quite simple, so I explained it to her, and she seemed quite keen, so it will be done ASAP!

I can take that as a small victory for the prepper!

lol

Taz Baby
01-25-2012, 05:27 PM
outside harvesting wild greens and onions for a salad. Dh is digging out creek so it won,t flood while we are gone.

Stormfeather
01-26-2012, 10:34 AM
ordered two 48 round shotgun shell belts. And a MOLLE shotgun scabbard for the backpack.

Ive been looking into these for about a year and a half now, just havent pulled the trigger to get one yet. Maybe you could give us a heads up and let us know how it works out for you? This way maybe I can convince myself to go ahead and get one!

Sniper-T
01-26-2012, 11:48 AM
^ and post some pics... both of my belts are only 25 round

:(

mitunnelrat
01-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Ive been looking into these for about a year and a half now, just havent pulled the trigger to get one yet. Maybe you could give us a heads up and let us know how it works out for you? This way maybe I can convince myself to go ahead and get one!

I have a 50 round bandoleer and one of those scabbards. I've used both to good effect for light use. Every once in a while you may find a shell slipping out of the bandoller, but for the most part it retains them very well. I've kept mine loaded with loose shells for a couple years now with no issue.

My scabbard is from Condor that I received as a contest prize. I'm not sure if who else might make them, except for an AR sleeve I've seen from HSGI, but it appears to be pretty well built, and has allowed me to carry my .22 (I really should get a sling on that at some point) out deer hunting so I can plink at small game if that's all I'm seeing. I've also pressed it into range use by mounting it to the micro drag bag I have for my AR. I have to put my shotgun barrel in the bag because its 28", but its worked well for that as well. I'd love to get a folding stock and 18" barrel. It'd be very good for that I think.

Come to think of it, shipping probably wouldn't be too much on that. If you're willing to send it back I'd be more than happy to let you get a first hand look at it.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-26-2012, 07:47 PM
I looked at a solar kit on Harbor Freight yesterday but didn't make the plunge to buy it. I'm still trying to figure out everything that I'll need and how to hook it all together. It's so hard trying to figure out which the best 12 v deep cycle battery, which is the best inverter I can get for the amount I have to spend (not much) and how do I get the whole thing working? I bought a book on solar panel uses but it's waaaaay over my head and starts off with bigger projects than I had in mind. I'd just like to be able to use a computer, maybe the TV and to recharge batteries and electronics. That kit on Harbor Freight only gives you the panels, but not a battery. I can't remember now if it included a inverter. Is there a thread here somewhere discussing solar panels and how to use them????

BTW, I ordered one of these earlier this morning. A dutch oven from Amazon for about 40 dollars. Amazon.com: Universal Housewares Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Camping Dutch Oven: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VTMV5C/ref=oh_o00_s00_i01_details)

PLease excuse my tardines for I have been engaged in finishing me chores. (finishing trim in hallway,hallway closet, foyer closet and foyer, oh and the teadle sewing machine)

Here's what I can tell you about the Harbor Freight solar kit that I have so far.

CHICAGO ELECTRIC Model 90599
45 WATT Solar Kit

Specific points of interest include:
-Each panel is rated @15 watts and has a 10ft power lead, sheilded for outdoor use approxomately 16-18 guage wire.

-Comes with a mounting bracket to hold all three panels

-Battery not included (what's new)

-Additional items included were a set of two 12VDC wire leads with standard thread light bulb recepticle and two 12v light florecent bulbs

-System is rated @14.5 V~/ 15W, Open circuit Voltage 23.5ocv, Adapter Outlets 3, 6, 9, and 12VDC

-The regulator provides the following protection:
Over-Discharge Protection: it will shut down if the voltage goes below 11 volts.
Overcharge Protection: shuts down if it goes above 14.5v
Overload Protection: if output current exceeds 4amps fuse blows.

-Also has a 5v USB port.........computer?

OK, that's all for now, I hope some of this has been nelpful. I'm going to start the "performance" round when I get a break in the weather, been rainin so I can't seem to get a damn thing accomplished around here lately. Soooooooooooo?

Be safe................the night is your friend

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-26-2012, 07:56 PM
I looked at a solar kit on Harbor Freight yesterday but didn't make the plunge to buy it. I'm still trying to figure out everything that I'll need and how to hook it all together. It's so hard trying to figure out which the best 12 v deep cycle battery, which is the best inverter I can get for the amount I have to spend (not much) and how do I get the whole thing working? I bought a book on solar panel uses but it's waaaaay over my head and starts off with bigger projects than I had in mind. I'd just like to be able to use a computer, maybe the TV and to recharge batteries and electronics. That kit on Harbor Freight only gives you the panels, but not a battery. I can't remember now if it included a inverter. Is there a thread here somewhere discussing solar panels and how to use them????

BTW, I ordered one of these earlier this morning. A dutch oven from Amazon for about 40 dollars. Amazon.com: Universal Housewares Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Camping Dutch Oven: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VTMV5C/ref=oh_o00_s00_i01_details)

OH, "no" it doesn't come with an inverter as we would want. One that would turn on and off to maintain the battery's charge automaticly. Hey we have to start cheap and experiment a little bit the way I see it. Plus, I think I'll be able to use these panels elsewhere later. I bought an additional 50" of wire and a terminal block to extend the range and bring the box into the house to run out little solar experiment.

Hey, for an additional $35 you can get a "smash and crash" warranty for your sytem/panels for I think was 2 yrs no questions asked FREE REPLACEMENT. So maybe before the 2 yrs is up I'll trade'em in.

Be safe.................the night is your friend

bacpacker
01-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Good info BWRR. I've been looking at getting the HF kit to set up some lighting for the chicken coop. From your desciption of voltage and out put I think that would work well.

Sniper-T
01-27-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't know what your prices down there, or what it would cost to ship them, but a local store just put some on sale. I'm going to pick up a couple sets on my way home tonight...

Blue Planet 30W Solar Panel | Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/Green/EnergyConservation/RenewableEnergy/PRD~0111896P/Blue+Planet+30W+Solar+Panel.jsp?locale=en)

Taz Baby
01-27-2012, 04:36 PM
a few years ago we bought 2 HF solar panel kits. They came with a 200Watt invertor and had 4 Panels. Now they are only 3 panels. We have ours hooked up to our little trailer and they work great. But if you want to run a house off of solar you need bigger ones.

GunnerMax
01-27-2012, 07:10 PM
ill have to review them this summer, so prepare to wait for a while. :)

mollypup
01-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks BWRR13. I need to get started on these. I saw that SAM's Club sells several different sizes of deep cycle batteries. I need to figure out the best one for my needs and also order a quality inverter. Plus other solar panel related stuff too. I think it's time to make a list. Thanks again, you were very helpful. :D

mitunnelrat
01-28-2012, 03:56 PM
I installed a Magpul trigger guard on my AR today. The difference just in the fact that it eliminates the gap at the grip is awesome.

LUNCHBOX
01-28-2012, 10:10 PM
I picked up a new 10 gallon pot and then started with 10 lbs ground beef, 16 lbs of beans, 3 lbs peppers, 2 lbs of onions and a little chili powder. It ended in up as 30+ lbs of chili to put in the freezer and some for the next couple days.

http://i40.tinypic.com/29eg8bs.jpg

izzyscout21
01-28-2012, 10:14 PM
I started my knife making experiment using real steel, not hacksaw blades. I'll let you all know how it turns out

captainhippy
01-30-2012, 04:33 PM
I started my knife making experiment using real steel, not hacksaw blades. I'll let you all know how it turns out

That is awesome. I have been thinking about trying that out.

Right now I'm working on putting together a kydex boot knife sheath. I have been working on trying to make it more comfortable.

Grumpy Old Man
01-30-2012, 05:18 PM
I picked up a Worksman Industrial Mover Tricycle for a secondary BOV. It is used and needs a little work, but for $150 it was a heck of a deal. I love garage sales!

Sniper-T
01-30-2012, 05:25 PM
^
I had to google that... neat score! I don't understand how they could possibly cost that much new, unless they came with a driver

Grumpy Old Man
01-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Because they are bulletproof! It is a seriously heavy duty bike.

izzyscout21
01-30-2012, 06:46 PM
I bottled up 150lbs of rice that had been waiting for several months.

LUNCHBOX
01-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Picked up 20 lbs more of rice and beans. (10 lbs each)--my big score was Kroger has 5oz cans of chicken 10 for $10.00. I added 40 more cans to my stock. Needless to say my live chickens were happy to hear it.

bacpacker
01-31-2012, 12:07 AM
I picked up a couple more tarps, a shit load of bungees, 4 bags of chicken feed, 240 rds of .308 in a battle pack, bullets and primers for reloading 9mm and .308, a set of carbide dies for 9mm, some 9mm brass, and several small tools, files, foceps, sissors, etc.
Got a trip to Sams planned for later this week.

Taz Baby
02-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Here is a pic of the table and chairs I am going to build by myself for our kitchen that Tpatt is building for us. It's the least I can do since the kitchen is really for me :D
started gathering the logs and now just have to find the stump for the table.

Rustic Dining Tables: Barnwood & Log Dining Table Styles (http://www.logfurnitureplace.com/indoor-log-furniture/dining-room/log-dining-tables/aspen-lodge-log-octagon-dining-table-1.html)

ak474u
02-02-2012, 02:22 AM
Little more x39 for the range, ordered a plate carrier, and some rifle and pistol mag pouches. Need to find a Serpa with the QD MOLLE mount for my 92, and I'm set for a rifle course I'm taking in March. Selling a bunch of miscellaneous gear that I don't need for my current loadout needs to fund my projects. Built a rifle mount so I can use my light with my AK without changing handguards to a full Picatinny. Don't really like the tacticool look on AKs, as part of that set, I modified the kydex holster for my light to fit MOLLE so I can go vest to gun without the bulk of a mounted light all the time.

msomnipotent
02-03-2012, 02:00 AM
I haven't been buying much except for some canned goods, but I am still working on organizing my pantry. I managed to fit a lot more in there and I'm not halfway done yet. Now I just have to fill up the empty shelves in the basement with food before my husband fills them with junk. I also found a skin stapler with some staples behind one of our aquariums. I have no idea how it got there.

rice paddy daddy
02-03-2012, 02:32 AM
I finally got my State of Florida Concealed Firearm License. For years I kept two 357 magnums in the vehicle, legal in Florida with no license. But given the level of lawlessness and evil in our country today I just felt that one in my pocket was needed. Right now it's my 357 snubnose, but I feel the need to pack Old Faithful - Colt 70 Series Government Model.
Question - with an inside-the-waistband holster for a 1911, will I have to buy bigger jeans/pants? The wife and I are on a tight budget and the added expense of a new wardrobe could slow things down.
Right now it's the J Frame in the front pocket, or an Uncle Mikes nylon belt holster worn under an untucked shirt, which is do able because it's small.
But, as an old soldier I know that no one who has survived a gun fight has ever wished for a smaller gun or less ammo.

izzyscout21
02-03-2012, 04:07 AM
Question - with an inside-the-waistband holster for a 1911, will I have to buy bigger jeans/pants? The wife and I are on a tight budget and the added expense of a new wardrobe could slow things down.

Short answer......If your britches are already a little big, then maybe not. If they fit snug, then, yeah, you'll prolly want to get some new duds.

rice paddy daddy
02-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Short answer......If your britches are already a little big, then maybe not. If they fit snug, then, yeah, you'll prolly want to get some new duds.
Well, I don't drink, smoke or take drugs, but I LOVE Cheezits and Hershey bars, so yeah, my pants run a little on the snug side.:)
Working with what I have, then, it will be a Charter Arms Bull Dog 44 on the belt and the J frame 357 in the pocket. That will give me 10 rounds immediately.
Dang! I wish we could carry rifles.:D

LUNCHBOX
02-04-2012, 03:23 AM
I put an order in for 1, (maybe 2 calves) I will pick up this month burned and banded. Steak. Steak. Steak.

ak474u
02-04-2012, 04:18 AM
New AR style muzzle brake for my Yugo AK, Thank you Century for not putting a US made one on my gun at the factory, yay! oh well, coulda been worse, they coulda put the yugo imported handguards that are impossible to replace on it with a standard "Slick" handguard, and I don't hear good things about the quadrails that are available for it at this point.

Stormfeather
02-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Well, I don't drink, smoke or take drugs, but I LOVE Cheezits and Hershey bars, so yeah, my pants run a little on the snug side.:)
Working with what I have, then, it will be a Charter Arms Bull Dog 44 on the belt and the J frame 357 in the pocket. That will give me 10 rounds immediately.
Dang! I wish we could carry rifles.:D

Ok, checking out my charter arms bulldog in 44, I have got to say, thats a little big for CCW, just my opinion. I ccw a J frame as does the wife. But then again, we also carry G-19's and commander 1911's as well. But as for size, that Bulldog has got to be cramping your style.

rice paddy daddy
02-05-2012, 02:47 AM
Ok, checking out my charter arms bulldog in 44, I have got to say, thats a little big for CCW, just my opinion. I ccw a J frame as does the wife. But then again, we also carry G-19's and commander 1911's as well. But as for size, that Bulldog has got to be cramping your style.
Went into town tonight with the 357 snub in an Uncle Mikes nylon belt holster (yeah, I know, but I don't have a lot of extra money), and the Bulldog 44 in my front pocket, under an untucked denim shirt. Put one speed strip of 44 Special in my shirt pocket.
All in all it was covered up OK. A cop most likely would have spotted it, but I was comfortable no one else would.

Taz Baby
02-05-2012, 03:15 PM
big day of prepping today. Got the beer on ice chillin, moonshine in the freezer, rotel dip made and chips ready, and making taco soup. Don't care for either team, so I,m rootin for the commercials.

bacpacker
02-05-2012, 03:58 PM
LB sounds like your making a haul.

We hit up krogers and the 10 fo $10 sale, got a bunch of canned goods, frozen foods, cheese, etc. I also picked up 1050 rounds of federal .22's, a large bottle of Hoppe's #9 cleaning fluid, a #10 shell holder for loading my .223, a lightweight rescue pulley and carabiner, blast match for the wife GHB and my best score, a Petzel Tikka plus for $39. They usually go for $54 around here. The wife also picked up a heavy fleece hoodie and a fleece vest for a steal.

LUNCHBOX
02-05-2012, 10:52 PM
BP, I am getting a pretty good deal. That's why I'm leaning towards 2. Me and Kodiak are gonna split the cost.

Also picked up a bundle of wood to cut for the wood burner. It's the outside cuts off a tree before the mill makes the boards. Have 2 more bundles on order. Got the new stall built for calf/calves.

Taz Baby
02-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Went to IGA grocery store they have a sale on Hormel Chili. 10 FOR $5.00.so we pick up 20 cans. I hate that chili but will learn to like it when I have to eat it, lol

Sniper-T
02-07-2012, 11:01 PM
learn now... it will be part of your rotation! Think why you don't like it, and fix it! add veggies, add spices, add meat. just cause you have a can of chili, doesn't mean you have to eat a can of chili. Use it as a base, to start a meal from. ADd, Add, Add! any decent chef knows that any one ingredient, is nothing but a starting point to a great meal!

I stopped by the dollar store on my way home, and bought 80 cans of stuff. My pantry is now full. and I am waiting until my wife's next trip away to to expand it. In the mean time, I am fillling the voids that I created when I expanded my pantry, and populated it.

mwahahahahha

msomnipotent
02-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Went to IGA grocery store they have a sale on Hormel Chili. 10 FOR $5.00.so we pick up 20 cans. I hate that chili but will learn to like it when I have to eat it, lol

That is so cheap. It is on sale here for $1.25 per can. I mix a can of no beans and a can of with beans and it is edible with some onions, cheese, and a dash of hot sauce. At least you can put is aside for trading if it comes to it.

apssbc
02-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Part of my tax return got me, Burris Tac 30 Scope with Burris Fast Fire red dot and mount, Scout mount for my M1a, 500 rds of 308, 250 rds of 45, Mags for the USP and the M1a, 8 bottles of wine which can be good for trading....and maybe I like to drink it ;). Also got a little more canned food.

izzyscout21
02-10-2012, 04:32 AM
re-designed my water storage plans

Sniper-T
02-10-2012, 10:59 AM
busy bottling up all the stuff that's just been piled up in bags

bacpacker
02-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Got some new shoes for the BOV. That about broke the budget. Went to a small gun show at the local armory and picked up a diamond coated knife sharpener and a drop leg pistol holster. Also picked up 200lbs of chicken feed.
Spent some time on ebay this week and got a couple of batteries and a charger for the Sabre radio. 10 chicken nipples for the water system I'm building. Also got a few tools from e-bay. Some of them dedicated to the reloader.

ak474u
02-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Went thru my GHB today, and slimmed down some gear for weight... Ended up eliminating almost a pound of gear, I had 3 dedicated multitools in there, and somehow ended up with too many other tools inside. I now have room for a little extra stuff that I previously didn't have room for. I'm doing a different style belt holster in the versipack GHB. Up to now, I've had a Fobus full size kydex paddle holster for my 92D in the water bottle compartment, now I'm actually gonna have a water bottle in there, and not have to transfer it from the truck box to the bag. I'm just gonna get one of those leather belt holsters that lays flat when not in use, and just acts as a slot to cover the trigger guard and hold the gun in place, for a GHB, I think it will suffice. I had things too disorganized to really utilize, or put my hands on them quickly, so I took care of that too. I still have 6-15rnd. mags loaded, and 50 rounds extra in a plastic ammo box + 50 rounds of stingers for the pocket pistol just in case.

ladyhk13
02-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Finally bought a 3"- 3 ring binder and started organizing the hundreds of pages of stuff I have been saving like how to tan hides, how to make cheeses, making herbal meds, all kinds of odd recipes...stuff like that that I've downloaded from the internet. I have so much stuff saved that I need to print and file so I have hardcopy wshtf and we don't have laptops anymore. I can't believe how much stuff I've saved over the past couple of years!

work in progress
02-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Bought 4 cases of canning jars. 2 pints and 2 quarts. they were marked down to $5 a case because the managers at the store wanted to see if they'd sell better. Hah! Two other ladies and myself split up everything that was left as diplomatically as we could. I am going back to see if they have re-stocked the shelves.

piranha2
02-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Got a scope for the last rifle that needs one (thanks, Stig), bought some more 5.56.

mollypup
02-13-2012, 10:29 PM
BOUGHT SOME WOOL SOCKS!!! 12 pairs actually. SAM's club has three pair packs of 75% merino wool hiking socks for 14.98 per pack. Now's the time to stock up!!!

Sniper-T
02-14-2012, 10:10 AM
^ nice score Molly!!

GunnerMax
02-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Talked to my mom today, and remembered I have a tub of military gear at her house in FL filled with goodies, to include, canteens, belts, canteen pouches, and my favorite, which I forgot about, 2 or 3 NEW Kevlar Helmets that I got 4 years ago in SC. I am so freaking excited about being able to protect my head, and my wife's, without having to buy one!

Taz Baby
02-14-2012, 01:44 PM
went to harbor freight and got one of those propane filler couplers. Since we cook on a colmen one burner stove we buy a lot of those small propane bottles. So now we can refill all our little bottles that we have saved for the last year. If you need this item you have to ask them for it as they do not keep it on the self. $17.00 Is all it cost.

Sniper-T
02-14-2012, 01:54 PM
Check your bottles after you fill them Taz. sometimes those little ones leak after refilling. spray some soapy water into the nozzle and watch for bubbles. if it does, you can usually just tap the nipple with a screwdriver and it'll seat. If you refill them a lot, then you'll want to pick up some caps. Threads on and seals tight

Taz Baby
02-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks Sniper. I didn't think I would have to check them for leaks with them never being refilled yet. Also when we add a new bottle we always put the cap on the old bottle, so we have all the caps that came with each bottle.

Sniper-T
02-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Those plastic caps that come on the bottles will not stop a leak. you would need to buy actual steel caps.

ak474u
02-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Those plastic caps that come on the bottles will not stop a leak. you would need to buy actual steel caps.

Those caps are merely "thread protectors" and prevent dust from getting into the valve system before use. T is right, not a leak stopper

Taz Baby
02-14-2012, 10:23 PM
So where do I get this metal caps, where I get my propane filled?

Sniper-T
02-15-2012, 01:19 AM
most hardware stores, any 'real' gas shop (BOC, PRAXAIR) - American equiv's. should have. take an empty bottle with you to home depot, or home hardware. find a cap, and buy some teflon tape. with that, even if the valve leaks slow, you can cap it and it will be good for LTS... take the cap off, screw it into whatever, and its valve is now the shut off.

* remember when you teflon tape something, you hold it in your left hand... with NB gas fittings, hold the spool in your right.

I have had the little guys leak on the first refill (especially the short fat ones opposed to the longer skinny ones). usually a wiggle of the valve is enough to stop it.

I only keep a half dozen little ones full (and capped) on hand, but have another 2-3 dozen empty ready to fill. (increases every camping season due to things people throw away). I keep several 20#'ers full for the BBQ, and several 100#ers full for emergencies, for the garage furnace, and for filling. I fill the 1#ers from the 20's(16). if I can't get to the store (or got lazy) I fill the 20's from the 100#er (4).

out of curiosity... what do you guys pay for fiills? right now we are about 0.62c per pound(Costco)... ie a 20# costs about $`13.00

it's gone up from 8.99 for a 20# in the last 4 months.

Do you guys have that exchange program down there? drop off an empty, pick up a full?

I've 'heard' that you can wiggle that plastic sleeve off a trader tank, and slip it onto an expired tank, and get a new filled tank for cheap.

"Theoretically speaking of course"

;)

Taz Baby
02-15-2012, 01:32 AM
let me start a thread on this so we don,t take away from this one. I would like to hear more on this subject.

Sniper-T
02-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Back on topic... I have done nothing prep related. I am working 75+ hours a week, working ahead, training, and trying to catch up... I am banking all this time for use at a later date, when I can take time off and work on what I need to get done. And! get paid to do it! :)

Taz Baby
02-15-2012, 02:47 AM
Filled 5 #1 propane bottles, and stayed inside mostly with DH. BUt because of the weather is not co-operating with us. Did get some bark off of the walking sticks that I make.

Kodiak
02-15-2012, 04:19 AM
Bought 2 new 30 gallon water storage containers and some mylar bags to store some goodies in. Found 20 pound bags of rice on sale and bought a few, along with some canned goods.

LUNCHBOX
02-15-2012, 05:39 AM
I picked up 400 pounds of cracked corn for the calves (may pick them up this weekend, next weekend at the latest) Picked up 4 boxes of .45 ammo and 4 30 round AK mags.

GunnerMax
02-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Buying gear, some to keep, some to sell, and best of all, buying some more camo uniforms. hopefully after today, I will have 2 MARPAT. I already have 3 woodland complete sets including hats/helmet covers, GORETEX tops and bottoms, and fleece. and 3 AOR 2 uniforms, to include what I said with the woodlands. so it should be 8, and that will last a LONG TIME. :)

izzyscout21
02-16-2012, 03:17 PM
I picked up 400 pounds of cracked corn for the calves .

did Jimmy crack the corn, or did you make Kodiak do it?

Grumpy Old Man
02-16-2012, 04:22 PM
did Jimmy crack the corn, or did you make Kodiak do it?

I didn't crack the corn, so LB must have made Kodiak do it!

I bought the new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing etc for Eugene (my jeep truck).

bacpacker
02-16-2012, 04:52 PM
I got my batteries and charger for the Sabre Radio. Already got them charged. Just need a chance to test out the radio now.

Stormfeather
02-16-2012, 06:03 PM
I got my batteries and charger for the Sabre Radio. Already got them charged. Just need a chance to test out the radio now.

same here, may do so this weekend

Taz Baby
02-17-2012, 01:01 AM
I groomed our dog (a schnauzer ). getting her ready for summer. A little early but I just couldn't take it any more. Those little tight kinky curly curls were bothering me to no end. I couldn't see her face and she looked like a poodle. she doesn't have the wire hair that schnauzer's have. She has the baby bunny soft hair.

Sniper-T
02-17-2012, 11:18 AM
With all the people up for the training sessions, the company has been buying 2 litres of pop like they're going out of style. I'm quietly snaking all the empties. When I get back from holidays I should have about 20 waiting to be filled. :)

izzyscout21
02-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Ok. I'll admit. I didnt really do anything.

Stormfeather
02-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Slacker!!

Grumpy Old Man
02-17-2012, 03:57 PM
I bought a bottle of Jim Beam for our fishing trip/birthday party this weekend. Does that count?

Sniper-T
02-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Only counts if the bottles of Rum I bought for my trip count:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/0207121643b.jpg
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/0208121613a.jpg

Even got a bonus pint of whiskey out of em!

izzyscout21
02-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Slacker!!

Yeah......E-4's are really adept at shamming...........

Stormfeather
02-17-2012, 08:19 PM
They dont call it a sham shield for nothing right?

izzyscout21
02-17-2012, 08:22 PM
They dont call it a sham shield for nothing right?

Yeah, but I graduated to 2 stripes, so had to become a little more "sponsible".

Stormfeather
02-17-2012, 09:06 PM
I keep working up to the rocker, turned it down once, and now dont have a choice in matter I dont think for it.

eagle326
02-17-2012, 09:26 PM
I keep working up to the rocker, turned it down once, and now dont have a choice in matter I dont think for it.

No pain ; No gain Storm. Suck it up and make that rocker; Roll!!! :cool:

Stormfeather
02-17-2012, 10:31 PM
No pain ; No gain Storm. Suck it up and make that rocker; Roll!!! :cool:

The only problem with gaining the rocker would be, I would take myself out of the operational side of my job and pretty much get delegated to the administrative side. This breaks down to less trigger time and more paperwork time. . . . Can we say "TPS Reports" anyone?

eagle326
02-18-2012, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=Stormfeather;21434]The only problem with gaining the rocker would be, I would take myself out of the operational side of my job and pretty much get delegated to the administrative side. This breaks down to less trigger time and more paperwork time. . . . Can we say "TPS Reports" anyone?[/QUOTE

Oh Hell No!!! You got to find a way to be passed over . Pushing pencils and paper work is Bad Ju Ju.
Trigger time is much better than paper pushing time. Besides think of all the paper cuts. You could injure your trigger finger. :(

Stormfeather
02-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Getting ready to go downstairs and start a full inventory of all of the prep goods. Its been on the list and today is the first real day off Ive had in weeks! Dreading it, and procrastinating, but gotta do it!

eagle326
02-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Getting ready also to check canned and dry goods to see what needs replenished. Also looking to see what ammo I need to bolster.

Stormfeather
02-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Just finished up doing a full inventory. . . holy shit. . . Ive got a ton of stuff! I even found 3 wood crates I had previously packed up and forgot about. Found I have a few gaps that I didnt realize were there. But all in all, finished up with it til next quarter! So glad that is over with, now I can concentrate on the next step Ive wanted to do, and write up profile sheets for everyone in my group and work on the hard copies of maps and routes to the BOL

bacpacker
02-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Just got in from a busy day. Hit up a flea market today. I found $1.75 face value silver coins at a very good price. One guy had 12 morgan's from the 1880-90's at about 60% metal value. I should have got them all, just didn't want to tie up the cash in metals right now.
Also picked up a tumbler and media to clean my brass in prep for the reloader. Box of bullets and a .lb of powder for the 9mm rounds.

Taz Baby
02-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Well today was a great day. The weather was nice so we went to check out the flea market, trader shops, thrift stores and the Habitat for Humanity store. Came home with stuff we needed and spent very little money. We found; A Craftsman 1 ¼ hp router ($25) for our Craftsman router table we got for free, 2 big concrete bits ( $2) to drill holes in the rocks to bust them up, I got me 2 Long hole saw bits with chucks ($10) for making my tenons for the rustic furniture I am making, 3 wood chisels, ($2) bag of wood screws a9 about 50) ($1). Also found a old tyme flea market in a warehouse that is so full of old farm stuff from Plows to slings and a lot of jeri gas cans. We got there to late and most of the shops were closed but found a few things and we are going back for the gas cans and the old tree saws, slings and more. Still looking for drawing knives. All in all a great day. Oh and 5 big homegrown tomatoes ($2) Made mater sandwiches for supper. 1 slice tomato hangs over the bread.

ladyhk13
02-19-2012, 03:27 AM
Getting ready to go downstairs and start a full inventory of all of the prep goods. Its been on the list and today is the first real day off Ive had in weeks! Dreading it, and procrastinating, but gotta do it!

Oh please when you get done will you come to my house and do mine too??????? I look at shelf after shelf (in more than one room) and don't even know where to start. It has totally gotten out of hand. I have soooo run out of space that I have just started piling things in front of others.

ladyhk13
02-19-2012, 04:12 AM
Went to Sam's and Costco to do another "stock up" so I froze the meat and now I am defrosting the meat we already have so that I can "can" it tomorrow. Rotating the meats seems to be a good idea so it doesn't get freezer burn.

LUNCHBOX
02-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Kodiak and I picked up our 2 calves today. Also picked up 800 pounds of feed, six 5/5 round bales and arranged for 70 square bales next month. Good timing.

Taz Baby
02-20-2012, 03:43 AM
It rained all morning and snowed all afternoon, still snowing. So we played Yahtzee all day. Oh and added more to the kitchen plans. It keeps growing. Guess we have cabin fever.

izzyscout21
02-20-2012, 03:56 AM
I've got about 6 inches sitting outside right now, so I made a ton of snowcream and threw it in the freezer. Does that count?

Grumpy Old Man
02-20-2012, 04:43 PM
I've got about 6 inches sitting outside right now, so I made a ton of snowcream and threw it in the freezer. Does that count?

Yeah that counts! Gotta keep the tricycle motors happy!

Stormfeather
02-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Just scored a ton of Dinty Moore at WalMart here at 2am. . . They have the large cans on sale/rollback for $1.50, picked up 10 cases of assorted flavors! Now to find a way to add it to the inventory that the wife just finished typing up without her noticing!

LUNCHBOX
02-21-2012, 11:07 AM
^^^^sneaking 10 cans maybe, 10 cases....good luck.

More .45 ammo in the mail today, did a ammo inventory. Picked up to oil lamps w/a gallon of fuel for less than $20.00

Made Kodiak and I a couple faraday cages. (Phone tested)

Picked up my usual beans/rice and some more spam.

Bought a 8 ton log splitter, no power included, all foot pedal operated,

bacpacker
02-22-2012, 12:35 AM
I need to see pics of the log splitter when you get a chance. That sounds interesting.

Dropy
02-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Got my new sig. need more ammo and mags though =/

Stormfeather
02-23-2012, 06:04 PM
^^^^sneaking 10 cans maybe, 10 cases....good luck.

More .45 ammo in the mail today, did a ammo inventory. Picked up to oil lamps w/a gallon of fuel for less than $20.00

Made Kodiak and I a couple faraday cages. (Phone tested)

Picked up my usual beans/rice and some more spam.

Bought a 8 ton log splitter, no power included, all foot pedal operated,

MUWAHAHAAH! Damn Im good! Snuck it in the house at 5:00 am before she woke up! As long as she doesnt see this post, I am good to go!

Taz Baby
02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Just made mountain mint tea bags from the mint I sundried last spring. Had my first cup, yummy good.

ak474u
02-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Got a Blackhawk Omega VI drop leg holster for $39.00 today. Just happened to find it on the sale rack at the local gear whore store. They retail for $86, so decent deal. I've always had lower end tactical holsters for my full size pistols because we can't open carry here, and I've usually dedicated $ to good CCW holsters and had average tac holsters, this one is gonna work well for my current training needs. I was looking for a serpa with the MOLLE mount, but being a very safety minded shooter, I have a safety issue with a holster mounted horizontally on a plate carrier pointing at the shooter next to me, and very close to my melon when it comes out of the holster. It looks tacticool, but I'm a safety first kinda shooter, so drop leg it is.

izzyscout21
02-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Seeing the gas prices starting to tick up around here, I decided to go ahead and take the opportunity to fill up all my jerry cans. I've got 25 gallons on tap now.

izzyscout21
02-24-2012, 03:41 AM
oh, yeah....and I got ordered my grain mill today

izzyscout21
02-25-2012, 04:21 AM
Picked up my canner today. I'll have my deep freezer by the end of next week.

Taz Baby
02-26-2012, 02:36 AM
picked up 3 small antique hand sickles at the flea market. Went to some pawn ships. Saw a 38Spl for $395.00. Did know if that was good or not for used. Gotta check gun prices out.

bacpacker
02-27-2012, 01:32 AM
I got some Power Pistol powder and 200 more 9mm 115gr hollow points to load. Also picked up 2 more Izzy bandages.

We got in a nice 5 mile hike yesterday. Good for the head and the body. Tryin to get ready for a 12 miler in March. We will be over 6500' on that trip. I can't wait.

mollypup
02-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Have ordered and received: Books:
Mini-Farming, self-sufficiency on 1/4 acre
Gia's Garden, 2nd edition - A guide to home-scale permaculture
The Humanure Handbook, A guide to composting human manure, 3rd edition
Herbs and Spices, the cook's reference

Have ordered but not yet received:
X-Acto wall-mount manual pencil sharpener
Mop Bucket with wringer
1 case of Mighty Dog dog food (for ferocious)

and other stuff that's not directly related to prepping such as bike gel knee and elbow pads
Razor youth sport helmet
Rolling Stone 500 sheet music classics (easy piano)

Taz Baby
02-27-2012, 02:22 PM
not much preppin here unless you consider getting ready to be in the land of the living soon. Then I will have internet on a computer instead of phone. Whoo yhoo

Sniper-T
02-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Absolutely nothing for the past week+ except go out and have fun and not think about things.

This week though I'll start utilizing some of the 2Litre bottles that I've been saving and get some more dry goods put away

bacpacker
02-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Molly i have gia's garden as well it has a lot of good info.

TEOTWAWKI13
02-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Time's have been tough again, so I got to get back into my mindset. I did manage to convince an old buddy of mine to move up here, got him a job, so there's two instead of one now. Wife still doesn't really know what I do, cause she thinks "you gotta die sometime". Doesn't have the mindset.
He just bought an AR-15 this week, I'm getting mine next week. Another buddy is gonna teach us to reload, so there's that. I gotta start buying food to replace what we've gone through. I still got about 60 days worth, but I had almost 100 days stored.

TEOTWAWKI13
02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
I am definitely putting in a small garden this spring, too, so that'll help alot.
All in all, I feel more confident now than I did 2 yrs ago.

mitunnelrat
02-28-2012, 01:16 AM
I traded out a redundant shotgun for a hi-point carbine this week. Mostly as something fun to play with that'll get more use than the shotgun did.

izzyscout21
02-28-2012, 01:21 AM
New Sneakers for my Honda civic (a.k.a- the Danger Cart)

GunnerMax
02-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Picked up one of these: CRKT M16-14ZSF Tactical Knives from Kit Carson (http://www.crkt.com/M16-14-Z-Desert-Special-Forces-Tanto-AutoLAWKS-Combo-Edge) for $37. Not at the $74 they have listed. I love military exchange prices.

They have these for $90 CRKT M16-14T EDC Knives from Kit Carson (http://www.crkt.com/M16-14-Titanium-Tanto-AutoLAWKS-Combo-Edge)

Stormfeather
02-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Dried a banana tree worth of bananas over the weekend plus a bushel of apples. All bagged up and ready for storage!

ak474u
02-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Picked up some Motorkote for the cars, both vehicles are getting "long in the tooth" so we want to get as much out of them as possible, this is our scheduled maintenance month now that I'm actually busy again at work. I'm gonna try some of it on one of the guns too, I've heard really good things, and have limited experience with it. With gas going up, it is going to reduce my ability to do the little PM on my truck, and I'm trying to get my vehicles more organized for efficient use of the space, and obviously weight = crappier mileage after a certain point. I was telling wife the other day that if we had to bug out, we need to add an hour to the packing so I can clean the truck out. It's bad.

ak474u
02-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Today, I built a small medicine bottle sized sewing kit for the GHB. This will grow up to be a repair kit, complete with spare buckles and straps for gear, but it has some basics in it to get me started..

Contents:

1-small needle, 1-medium sized needle, 1-small upholsterer's needle (the curved kind) 100 ft. lightweight OD green thread, wrapped around an industrial strength wire tie, (think bread tie, but plastic coated, and longer) going to replace thread with heavier thread when I find it, 2- OD BDU buttons, 1-tan colored medium sized button, 1-brown slightly smaller than BDU button, 1-small white button (golf shirt size) 20 feet lightweight black thread, 1-small binder clip for holding fabric together while sewn, 2-Mil Spec Black Safety Pins from an AR 15 ammo bandolier I cut up, and 2 feet of 1 1/4" OD nylon webbing for strap repair, or seam reinforcement in the field that I salvaged from a pile of AR ammo bandoliers. This is going to go into a small med kit that is being repurposed as an organizer for extra stuff that may be needed in the field for general gear repairs, so I'll be adding a small fishing kit in another medicine bottle, which will also give me the option of using fishing line to sew where heavy duty stitching is needed. I'll also be adding some form of container for an extra spring, extractor, some pins, etc for my AR that is going to get build this spring, it's going to have a spare bolt/firing pin insert for the magpul grip on the gun, but I think its a good idea to have a few more parts on-hand, and they're light anyway. I'm hoping to have room for some extra fastex buckles, and chicago screws, that I've salvaged over the years from throw away stuff, or doing gear mods. I've already got spare webbing, safety pins, etc. in my BOB, but not in the GHB. I've already got a medicine bottle with a full rebuild kit including the LED/heat sync/driver, springs, reflector, lens, O-rings, switch, switch cover, and switch housing for my lightstick flashlight that will go in this kit as well. I've still got a spare driver/LED/Heat sync in a faraday cage for EMP-SHTF just in case. I really want this kit I'm building to cover Load Bearing repairs, Lighting repair, Clothing repair.

LUNCHBOX
02-29-2012, 05:27 AM
Got my Saber battery in. What is really nice is it fits in my Sheriff Office radio charger so I didn't have to purchase one.

Went to Wally-world and found medical supplies on sale for $.88 each. Here is a small list of the 34 items I picked up...Tablets--sinus, chest conjestion, aspirin, allergy, ibuprofen, anti-diarrheal, cold relief, antacids. Cream--hydrocortisone, foot. Then nasal spray, tussin, epsom salt, medicated powder and ankle braces. I bought 2 of everything and they were all only $.88 each.

Picked up 2 more cases of canning jars ($5.00 each) and 100 lids ($1.00 for 10) for the wife and plan on going back soon.

GunnerMax
02-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Today, I built a small medicine bottle sized sewing kit for the GHB. This will grow up to be a repair kit, complete with spare buckles and straps for gear, but it has some basics in it to get me started..

Contents:

1-small needle, 1-medium sized needle, 1-small upholsterer's needle (the curved kind) 100 ft. lightweight OD green thread, wrapped around an industrial strength wire tie, (think bread tie, but plastic coated, and longer) going to replace thread with heavier thread when I find it, 2- OD BDU buttons, 1-tan colored medium sized button, 1-brown slightly smaller than BDU button, 1-small white button (golf shirt size) 20 feet lightweight black thread, 1-small binder clip for holding fabric together while sewn, 2-Mil Spec Black Safety Pins from an AR 15 ammo bandolier I cut up, and 2 feet of 1 1/4" OD nylon webbing for strap repair, or seam reinforcement in the field that I salvaged from a pile of AR ammo bandoliers. This is going to go into a small med kit that is being repurposed as an organizer for extra stuff that may be needed in the field for general gear repairs, so I'll be adding a small fishing kit in another medicine bottle, which will also give me the option of using fishing line to sew where heavy duty stitching is needed. I'll also be adding some form of container for an extra spring, extractor, some pins, etc for my AR that is going to get build this spring, it's going to have a spare bolt/firing pin insert for the magpul grip on the gun, but I think its a good idea to have a few more parts on-hand, and they're light anyway. I'm hoping to have room for some extra fastex buckles, and chicago screws, that I've salvaged over the years from throw away stuff, or doing gear mods. I've already got spare webbing, safety pins, etc. in my BOB, but not in the GHB. I've already got a medicine bottle with a full rebuild kit including the LED/heat sync/driver, springs, reflector, lens, O-rings, switch, switch cover, and switch housing for my lightstick flashlight that will go in this kit as well. I've still got a spare driver/LED/Heat sync in a faraday cage for EMP-SHTF just in case. I really want this kit I'm building to cover Load Bearing repairs, Lighting repair, Clothing repair.

ak474u, i have a massive amount of tan and black buckles of varying sizes if you want to just buy 1 or 2 pairs for your kit. shoot me a PM if interested. this goes for anyone actually

On a side note, A button came off of my uniform yesterday, and I realized, in my haste, I did not pack up my sewing kit for deployment. So, I have to pay the local Hadji to sew on my button. I feel like a dumbass. lol

Stormfeather
02-29-2012, 10:20 AM
GunnerMax, which theater are you currently deployed in? Just curious since Ive wanted to get some more Morale Scrolls and none of my buddies are currently deployed in a theater with a hadji sewing shop!

apssbc
02-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Ive been wanting a Gerber LHR for a while. I found one for $50 new out of package. Got it today and I think I am in love, I kind of wish I would have bought both. The grip is very positive and I dont see this slipping. The blade seems quite tough and the sheath is a retention sheath. The knife is alot bigger than the LMF (pictured together) and will take up some real estate on my kit, but I believe it will be a good trade off. Doing knife fighting drills with was awesome, it balances well and moves very nicely. I will take it out and beat it up a little next time I hit the bol.

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/100_4164.jpghttp://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/100_4163.jpg

Ugh looking at the pics I realize I need to 1. Kepp my dog off the couch, and 2. Vacuum.

ak474u
02-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Went and did a gear setup session with a friend, got pouches and gear all set up in a pretty uniform manner, and examined both of our ways we utilize gear on a chest rig for a little training shoot, and mini tactical seminar that a friend of his is running with some LEO, a few ex-mil guys fresh off deployment, and a PMC that had the pleasure of being shot at a lot in sandy, smelly places. It's gonna be interested to see the differences of opinion in the use, and carrying of gear when it comes to PMC vs. current, and newly ex-Mil. Things we learned: My buddy has way too many AR's, and although he has lots of really nice gear, his new M&P is almost impossible to draw from a blade tec paddle holster with an Eagle Chest rig on (Buckles obstruct good hold on the grip), time for a safariland thigh rig or something similar. I told him we could have just watched Red Dawn and gotten our training that way, but he insists that we train for real... lol

GunnerMax
02-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Stormfeather, see PM's.

mollypup
03-01-2012, 12:47 PM
I went out and collected the washed-up worms in our driveway this morning. We had a rainstorm last night and I found some really nice red wigglers for the compost pile. I only got about 10 worms though, not many but better than none.

Sniper-T
03-01-2012, 01:14 PM
if you can molly, gear up and go out with a flashlight and a pail during the rainstorm. growing up we used to pick nightcrawlers this way, and easily filled ice cream pails in a couple hours

izzyscout21
03-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Had my real life tornado shakedown. That definitely counts.

bacpacker
03-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Similar to Izzy, we got to practice our tornado senario prep. I also got to spend some time working on a WX net on the ham freq's. It's been almost year since I did much work on a net. It's not a big deal, but we do try and stick to a certain protocol and only take report of conditions the NWS request. The criteria they ask for is Winds in excess of 54 mph, rain in excess of 1"/ hr, and hail at least dime size. Hail is the biggy they want to know about and every Skywarn class I've been thru have stressed not calling in a report of marble size since marble are all different sizes. Use coin size, and for larger golfball, baseball, etc. Hail generally comes off the south side of the thunderstorm and is a leading edge to where the tornado will form from the storm. I will try and locate some info online for reading a thunderstorm and post it up.

I also plowed part of our garden Tuesday night and should be planting taters, onions, cabbage, and other greens in the next couple weeks.

Picked up a Ruger .44 magnum, uncle Mikes shoulder holster, box of hornaday ammo, and a cleaning brush. I get to play a little this weekend. :)

Sniper-T
03-02-2012, 12:36 AM
bought about 25 pounds of misc beans.

Katrina
03-02-2012, 03:13 AM
Got three more bags frozen chix and two more bags frozen salmon. Target had sale on frozen bags of Keta salmon. Yah I know if power goes out, there goes freezer but only if nat gas runs out and stand by doesn't turn on.

msomnipotent
03-03-2012, 12:45 AM
I haven't done much except for exercising. I have only lost 8 pounds this month, but I feel much more in shape. I can walk at a brisk pace for an hour and 15 mins straight without stopping now, up from 10 mins. I really should fill up my back pack and try that on the treadmill.

Sniper-T
03-03-2012, 02:36 PM
I got a good night's sleep. for today I have 8+ inches of snow to clean from my driveway.

Oh, and I also bought a Glock 22 in .40 with a .22 conversion; and a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in .357

:)

izzyscout21
03-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Rubber boots for the whole family!

GunnerMax
03-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Ordered:
1 of these Amazon.com: MTM Case - Guard™ 100 - rd. Shotshell Case: Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PW5PDA/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details)

and 1 of these: Amazon.com: Streamlight PolyTac LED Flashlight with Elzetta ZSM Tactical Shotgun Flashlight Mount: Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MJG2MO/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details)

I will review the flashlight this summer

Also ordered 2 MOLLE Knife pouches (one for me, one for the wife), a medium ALICE Belt, the New type in Coyote Tan, and 2 replacement MOLLE straps, 6" long.

bacpacker
03-04-2012, 07:38 PM
More tornado "watchin" on the Ham net for 2 days. Took another hike yesterday, 4-5 miles and did a new trail. Good workout.

Taz Baby
03-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Big Lots had a 1 day only sale today. 20% Entire purchase. Got more solar lights, a white grape vine, plastic greenhouse cover. Got more props for work and finished 2 walking sticks that I make. Almost done with rustic coffee table. DH finished making our porch swing and childs fold up bench. We use the childs bench at work. Wood was scrap cedar that was salvage from a porch. Pics soon.

ak474u
03-05-2012, 03:55 AM
Finished assembling/reworking my EDC bag's FAK, I got a med pouch from Izzy, and it was calling to me for use as a medkit. So far, I have added a few things to it, 2 rolls of 4" gauze Rolls are 4" wide but the rolls is about 1 1/4" thick, they fit well in the loops, there's a pouch behind the elastic loop panel that holds the gauze, so I put a small band aid first aid kit box full of 2x2 self stick gauze pads, and an assortment of small to large band aids inside and tucked it in there, there is a set of large loops at the opening to the pouch I put the band aid box in, so I was able to fit a nice fat roll of Ace bandage with the little metal thingies that hold it together in that spot. The other side of the clam shell is all elastic straps going across the inside, so I packed a ziploc with several giant 4"x2.5" bandaids on the bottom layer, a ziploc with 2 pairs of vinyl exam gloves, a pair of tweezers, a small ziploc with a wad of single use packs of hand sanitizer, and a ziploc of alcohol and betadyne swab pads, a small ziploc of q-tips, a match safe with a bunch of 750mg tums that'll get used sooner than they go bad, a small ziploc of single dose ibuprofen, and anti diarrhea pills. I will probably add an Izzy Bandage, in place of one roll of gauze, a roll of floss, a tube of super glue, or wound glue, and hopefully one or two of the packs of quik-clot just in case, as well as some visine, and little extras like an anti-histamine for bites, or allergies. I may also add a tampon to it (God forbid I have a hole in me that one of those will fit in) I've also got some industrial strength moleskin coming at the end of the month, my mom is a wound specialist, and helps people who are prone to pressure ulcers keep their feet from getting torn up/infected and amputated with this stuff, so I'm excited to replace my moleskin, or at least supplement it with it. I can't find my EMT shears :( This little kit fits great on my pistol belt behind my dump pouch if I'm using a chest rig, but will mostly just ride inside my Jumbo Versipack. It takes up some of my needed space in the main compartment, so I may eventually dedicate this one, and some of it's contents to my pistol belt for training days at the range, but since there are only a few things that can happen at the range, like splinters from a rough bench, to a burn from a shell casing going down one's shirt, and the worst case scenario, somebody taking a bullet, I'd probably dedicate it as a BOK with some ability to fix an ouchie that isn't life-threatening, and get a slightly smaller one for the EDC bag.

Sniper-T
03-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Went out snowshoeing for the first time in YEARS!!. ie. starting an exercise routine!

Taz Baby
03-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Went out snowshoeing for the first time in YEARS!!. ie. starting an exercise routine!

with as much snow as you get do those snowshoes really keep you on top of the snow?

Sniper-T
03-05-2012, 03:17 PM
for the most part, I was trekking around in about 18" of snow, and I sank less than 6"

Snowshoes really aren't designed to keep you on top of loose fluffy snow like that though, but once there is a bit of a crust, I'll be laughing. It's when you have that little crust, that you can't walk on, that snow shoes really excell!

Taz Baby
03-06-2012, 12:02 AM
well it was to cold and snowy to do anything. So I stayed in my jammy,s and stayed on this site most of the day. Does that count as prepping? . I did learm some things.

Sniper-T
03-06-2012, 12:36 AM
lol... i do not understand the term: too cold and snowy. I would not venture outside for 6 months under those terms

LUNCHBOX
03-06-2012, 04:43 AM
I picked up a Remmington 597 (2 10 rd clips) with a Bushnell scope already mounted. I would have rather had the Ruger 10/22 but the price was the winning factor.

Kodiak
03-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Picked up a Ruger 10/22 and 3 25 rd mags for the wife to use should things turn to shit down the road as she is not into firearms at all, thought the .22 would be a good gun for someone that does not practice.

Also picked up a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn shotgun scope for my Winchester 1300. Guys at work swear by this scope when they deer hunt for its exceptional low light capability.

mollypup
03-06-2012, 05:46 PM
I've managed to lose about 7 or 8 pounds. However, it's taken me over 2 months to lose it. I am VERY slow to lose weight. I guess it might come off faster if I'd exercise regularly instead of sporadically. But, it sure feels good to be able to toss some jeans in the, "too big to wear" pile. I'm saving those for when the SHTF and I need to look like I'm starving so hopefully the masses won't know I have food stored. Other than that, I've bought a few more boxes of shotgun shells, dry beans, and other sundry items. Also put away a few more 2 liter bottles of water.

Also, I'm on the fence about ordering replacement wheels for all of our Razor scooters. I'm thinking that if gasoline is too expensive to buy or an EMP happens, instead of always biking where we need to go we could use our scooters. They fold up nicely and you can carry them on your back while doing other things. Not so easy with a bike. I guess I'll order them since I doubt they will be available, or nearly so cheap on the black market after SHTF.

Gosh darn it! I keep remembering stuff I just bought - a bunch of bike parts....chains, brake pads, travel pump and some bike tools.

GunnerMax
03-06-2012, 07:19 PM
I purchased a pistol lanyard, as well as 2 Riteintherain all weather pins. One for my BOB, one for my wife's. I have also met 2 other preppers, and a gearwhore in my unit. The gearwhore and I have agreed to meet and do some gear swapping/discussing once back home.

Taz Baby
03-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Well somebody made me hungry for a weed salad in another thread so I made one for supper. I planted some of my garden seeds. (# = How many seeds) Blue Hopi corn (6), Strawberry popcorn (6), Truckers yellow corn (6), Cayenne Peppers (15), Beefsteak tomatoes (15). Since I will not be here in April and the first week of May, I didn’t want to plant to much in case it all died or got ate by critters. I planted everything in food cans that I save, poked hole in the bottom and set in a shallow pan. That way if it rains while I am gone they will get watered and if it doesn’t maybe the pan will hold enough water to get them thru the dry spell. If they die, I haven’t lost much. I worked on my rustic side table, on the coat rack, and put more polyurethane on my walking sticks. Gathered grapevines for making my hummingbird feeders, clipped the dog, (a schnauzer) and now I am writing this. Been a busy day.

bacpacker
03-08-2012, 12:47 AM
I plow part of the garden last week. Went Monday and got my seed potatos, onion, and several plants. Disk the garden tonight and hope to start planting sometime between Friday and Tuesday.

I also shot a box thru the .Redhawk. Then cleaned and inspected all out pistols. Glad to have that done.

ladyhk13
03-08-2012, 06:24 AM
Bought .22, 12 guage, and 308. I love buying ammo. I was short on 308 brass anyway so it was a good excuse since it can be reloaded. Then went to this small grocery store I've never been to before and found my beef a roni (those who know me know I can live on the stuff) for .89 a can, soups, beef boullion, individual shake and bake (.69 a package that is bigger than you get in the boxes), pineapple chunks for $1 a can...all kinds of stuff that the prices were very good compared to normal stores. They had water - 30 bottles for $3.99 but I didn't pick any up. At least I know where there is some so I can go back. Pretty neat little store.

Stormfeather
03-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Picked up 2 cases of TP off of Bulk Toilet Paper (http://www.bulktoiletpaper.com/)

Got my new to me Ruger Mk I in and got to try it out, not a lot of blueing on it, but its still accurate!

Stormfeather
03-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Picked up the midnight urge to go shopping, bought about 10 pounds of beef, brought it home and started canning at 3:00am. . . now thats boredom!

izzyscout21
03-09-2012, 12:20 PM
^^ they make drugs for that.......

Stormfeather
03-09-2012, 12:27 PM
^^ they make drugs for that.......

Thats the problem, Im amped up on Vicodin and Flexeril right now and it seems to be having the opposite effect on me, both say side affects are drowsiness, but I cant get to sleep to save my ass. Ive gotten maybe 8 hours total the last 3 days.

Sniper-T
03-09-2012, 12:28 PM
^^^ and alcohol...

Taz Baby
03-10-2012, 02:09 AM
well packing food, dishes, clothes and work stuff. Getting ready to leave the BOL. Now we have to sercure it for when we,re gone.

ladyhk13
03-10-2012, 04:40 AM
Started seeds (hopefully not too late), planted 2 blackberry bushes and 6 raspberry bushes (in containers so I can relocate them to the property when ready), cleared out one raised bed to find my wonderful greek oregano from last year going crazy, weeded and mulched my garlic. Hamstrings and back is killing me!

mollypup
03-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Am currently reorganizing my food storage. It's a total mess right now. I really don't want to go back to work on it....but I have too. Have told the hubster to stay away b/c he'll do a code brown if he sees all the stuff I have. :o

bacpacker
03-11-2012, 11:42 PM
I cleaned and fertilzied our blueberries. Pruned our fruit trees. And replanted 4 of our trees that got killed in last years hail storm, 2 apples and 2 papaws.

Taz Baby
03-12-2012, 12:45 AM
went to a flea market and found 2 drawing knives, wood carving tools, large tools to take the wheels off the backhoe, got our 12 Volt LCD T.V. Looked at. It quit working last year. It has only been used maybe 6 or 7 times. Walked and scouted out some more of our ridges.

izzyscout21
03-12-2012, 04:01 AM
got the garden tilled up. WOOT WOOT!!!

realist
03-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Me too. The problem is that we are looking at 3 inches of rain so I have to do something to prevent it from washing away.

Vacuum packed 25 lbs of rice, 15 lbs of beans. I'm replacing my light bulbs, slowly, with new LED bulbs to lower the electrical drain when on generator.

Grumpy Old Man
03-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Worked on my water filter and started filling some of the 15 gallon water drums I got from the feed store.

GunnerMax
03-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Volunteered for Riverine School, which is 60 days of USMC training. I hope to get some good skills while there to include: patrolling, map reading/plotting, survival, and urban combat.

LUNCHBOX
03-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Picked up 1000+ more 22lr. More beans and rice, a few cans of Spam also. Bought Work In Progress (wife) a new 16 quart canning pot. Another case of Surefire 123's.

Taz Baby
03-13-2012, 12:03 AM
changed berkey filters, pruned and fertilized peach trees. Have to make a oil and dishsoap wash for them. Some have sour sap. Cleaned cabin, brought in all traps. Now have to change battery,s in all secerty systems.

Sniper-T
03-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Picked up 40 pounds of misc rice yesterday

Stormfeather
03-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Volunteered for Riverine School, which is 60 days of USMC training. I hope to get some good skills while there to include: patrolling, map reading/plotting, survival, and urban combat.

You will totally love it!

ak474u
03-14-2012, 12:29 AM
More ammo, and started shopping for a decently priced .357 so i can practice, and get ready for the TX CHL instructor class, whenever they assign me a class date. I don't own a qualified revolver that I can take the test with, so I gotta buy one. Maybe a 3 1/2 - 4" taurus or something, I dunno.

Taz Baby
03-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Well not really prepping but it helps us somewhat for when we get back. I made two rows by hand with a hoe. ( no Jokes please. I hate using that word.) in the garden. Our tractor is down for repairs and the ground is extremely rocky. fertilized the peach tree's. Dug up and replanted some wild flowers to make the place look prettier when I get back. They should be in full bloom. My everything hurts now. From the toe nails to the hair roots.

bacpacker
03-14-2012, 01:20 AM
Tilled part of the garden when I got home from work ( the ground was still pretty wet in places, but I was able to work it enough to plant 4 rows of potatoes tonight. 3 rows of Kennebec's and 1 row of Red Pontiac's. I'll keep working the ground and plant my onions, leeks, lettuce, strawberries, & ruhbarb. We have a lot of sauerkraut canned so we decided not to plant any cabbage this year.

Katrina
03-14-2012, 04:35 AM
Duh hubs trimmed the apple trees. We've started to plot out garden.

mollypup
03-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Finally got a hand-crank grain mill. Not a great one, but I don't plan on grinding a lot at one time. My plans are to grind just enough to use when I need it. this is it: Amazon.com: Victorio VKP1012 Hand Operated Grain Mill: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018P54TS/ref=oh_o00_s00_i01_details)

It says it will grind rice. I have lots of rice so I guess I need to experiment and learn how to make bread out of rice flour.

Also got 3 sets of razor scooter wheels and will get more next month.
Canned 13 pints of chicken last weekend.

Stormfeather
03-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Finally got the latest additions to the first aid kits that I was missing out on, I got 10 disposable sterile medical staplers!

Taz Baby
03-14-2012, 07:53 PM
:D Since it is finally spring, I got our Hillbilly Bathtub cleaned and filled up. We bought a black water trough, put a spigot on the bottom to hook a hose to. For when we drain it, it waters the garden. Now when I get hot I can go cool off. Also take a bath in the moonlight. It even has a shower head for washing your hair.

GunnerMax
03-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Ordered all the hardware to mount a sling to my Shotty. :)

msomnipotent
03-16-2012, 03:45 PM
I paid off three credit cards and made a serious dent in another one!!! I also added $500 to our emergency fund. We are on track to pay off all the credit cards within a few months!! I am SO relieved! We are also on track to pay off all of the personal loans by the end of the year. That is, as long as our cars don't break down again. I just had to pay another $1,500 2 weeks ago to repair my husband's car. That is over $3,000 in as many months for that stupid car.

I am still exercising and increasing my endurance. I haven't lost any more weight, but my capri pants nearly fell off my ass at Meijer last night. The people behind me got a good look at the undies. :o

Grumpy Old Man
03-16-2012, 06:14 PM
I worked on establishing a SoCal branch of the colony. Other than that, not much!

Dropy
03-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Picked a cheap on sale cordura holster for my sig. going shooting tomorrow.....FINALLY!111!!!!!!!!11!!!

Taz Baby
03-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Planted potatoes,made a seed starter box, planted a seedless Himrod grapevine, planted more beef steak tomatoes, a cherry tomato in topsy turvy, packed clothes, and got the beer chillin in the creek for tonight.

GunnerMax
03-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Bought a Safariland 6004 Holster for the Glock 19, told the wife to get ammo when she goes to the Wal-Mart, Starting our move out of the ghetto to a nicer side of town, ordered a SOG Tactical Tomahawk for the Bag/Truck, 12 Blackhawk Speed Strips for the Fighting gear, an LED headlamp that lasts !!!!85!!!! hours on 1 set of batteries!!!!, worked on my weapons qualifications, and brushed up on first aid training

Sniper-T
03-19-2012, 05:08 PM
pulled my greenhouse in from the shed, and started 9 tomato plants. need a few supplies, and will be adding in the next few days

Taz Baby
03-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Got generator for the gasifier, fuel, andnow packing up BOL.

ak474u
03-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Finished setting up my chest rig for the AKs I'm running it light with only 3-30 rounders for the rifle, and 2 spare 15 round pistol mags. Picked up 2 single mag blackhawk pouches on sale for my pistol belt, so there are now 3 pistol mags on there. I'm waiting on a plate carrier that is on backorder, so I picked up mag pouches for it too. Bought a K-Var AK spare spring kit from CTD and swapped out extractor, and Recoil springs on the yugo, made an AK spare parts tube for the range bag for range tuning the yugo which is a super-jam-o-matic right now, bought a little more ammo to top off what i shot when my yugo crapped out 2 weeks ago, and made me basically run 1/2 mag dumps trying to get it to reliably cycle. Seems like it's the stupid gas valve, so one of those is on it's way from cncwarrior.com a new extractor is coming from K-Var, and I've ordered a pin retaining plate for both AK's that I keep here at home. Started the plan for more ammo before the election run on gear by all the people who watch doomsday preppers buy it all, and don't learn how to shoot. We've been rotating quite a bit of the dry goods, and re-figuring the off-the-shelf canned goods supply. I realized that I haven't bought .22 in a long time with the exception of stingers and mini-mags for my pocket pistol, so that's the subject of this week's payday buy. I'm starting the rebuild on my Romanian WUM-1 to make it 922r compliant, This gun has 14 foreign parts when you don't count the muzzle cap that's welded, and because it has a thumbhole stock, so I took it apart to avoid it being a compliance issue. Gonna start buying a few parts at a time, all I need is the stock, pistol grip, handguards, and FCG to be compliant, but i'm thinking I'll go ahead and grind off the spot weld on the muzzle cap, and get a 74-style brake for it too. That's the last 2 weeks, more this friday.

Sniper-T
03-21-2012, 10:56 AM
I emptied, cleaned and disinfected my primary deep freeze. I will know transfer the food from my other freezers into it, and do the same for them. Along with making a mod to the bottom to create a space below the food.

LUNCHBOX
03-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Got the wifes Durango re-tired, aligned, oil change and brakes. (did mine a month ago) continue to pick up canned/dry goods. Another brick of 12ga birdshot. 500 more 22lr also.

mollypup
03-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Ammo and lots of it. I don't even try to hide it from the hubster anymore. I went to a gun store that has an indoor firing range the other day and asked about classes. I'm going to call an instructor later tonight. I need to get back into shooting again. I used to do it a lot before I got married and really enjoyed it. This time I want to try out a lot of different guns and decide on one to buy.

msomnipotent
03-21-2012, 07:12 PM
I started a savings account for my daughter, for emergencies, and separated some of our silver for her use. Hopefully, it will be worth something by the time she is an adult. I did a bit of cleaning in the basement. I really have to get it into shape before tornado season. I am taking her old clothes to a resale shop and the money will go right into her account, or I will buy her more silver.

I ordered a 1/4 of a cow! No more pink slime for my family! We talked to the actual farmer/rancher and have been invited to see the farm. I am one step closer to independence from grocery stores!

bacpacker
03-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Took the day off work and got started on building the chicken fence. Still got a ways to go, but it looks good so far. I'll get some pics up when I get a chance.

GunnerMax
03-24-2012, 12:48 AM
bought 1,000 7.62x39 for my future AK
880 7.62x54R for the Nagants
150 rounds for my wife's revolver
2 of these OD beauties Mosin Nagant buttstock pouch (http://www.strikehardgear.com/mosin-nagant-buttstock-pouch/)
10 AK-47 steel surplus mags

sportsmansguide.com has $5 flatrate shipping I could not pass up :)

Taz Baby
03-25-2012, 08:55 PM
OMGosh I was like a kid who was given permission to buy anything they wanted and no limit in a toy store. I went grocery shopping. I have a freezer and a oven now so I can cook. Wow DH had to tell me a lot that I really didn't need to buy all the cheesecake and ice cream they had at one time. Then I went to the meat section again he told me no we don't need 5 racks of ribs. I got cookie mixes, cake mixes, roasts, ribs, stuff for homemade lasagna, ect. Yep I am going to be needing some fat pants this time.:D

Evolver
03-25-2012, 09:52 PM
LOL I can just picture you two in the store shopping for food after being off the grid for awhile and all.

This weekend I went out and bought the 6mill plastic sheeting that I'm going to use to solar bake the dirty rotten son-of-a-bitchen root knot nematodes that are in my garden. :mad:

Here is what them bastards are doing...

Carrot anyone?
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/xplore2c/DSC05714.jpg

Roots of my tomato plants...

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/xplore2c/DSC04104.jpg

I'll solarize the ground for the next four months. I need to get the ground temp up above 130F in order to kill them bastards.

Taz Baby
03-26-2012, 01:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJjdQYZKIsI&feature=player_embedded

Taz Baby
03-26-2012, 02:23 AM
Oh my, my prepping today was filling my Fridge and tummy. Cheesecake, pizza, and the best thing that I really miss is Cold Milk and ice cream. Going to look at a propane fridge so maybe We can have real milk all the time and not powered.

mollypup
03-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Woo-Hoo!!! Hubby and I got our first raised garden bed all ready for seeds. We used cinder blocks and made it 4' x 8'. Now we need to finish the other two. This is our first time using raised beds but I think it will work out pretty good. We can even use the holes in the cinder blocks for herbs and other stuff.

ak474u
03-27-2012, 01:35 AM
Couple more ammo cans, more ammo this week, must have more ammo, need ammo, waking up in a cold sweat needing ammo. lol

Taz Baby
03-27-2012, 02:14 AM
start work in the morning. Wish me luck.

Sniper-T
03-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Good Luck!!

mollypup
03-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Just got back from Lowes with 3 sheets of thick plywood, a bunch of sliding door locks and several kitchen drawer handles that were on sale. I'm gonna make my window security just like here: http://www.shtfready.com/general-discussions/lights-blackout-curtains-look-abandoned-currently-living-inside-1541-2.html, (scroll down to Wingnutx's post) except I'm adding a couple of drawer handles to each board to make carrying them easier.

ladyhk13
03-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Planted potato eyes today, am starting to harden off my asparagus, artichoke and the peppercini (they are just coming up). Will probably put the asparagus and artichoke in the ground later this week. Waiting for the rest of my seeds to come up....patiently. I didn't start any tomato so I'm going to buy the plants, Lowe's has heirlooms so just as easy to get them.
I weeded the garden area, sprayed the weeds there and then spread Preen. Oh yeah, I also dug out the area in front of the fence door so it would open all the way...for some reason dirt had piled up and I had to squeeze through so now I can open the gate all the way! Yahoo!
My German garlic that my dad packed up for me just before he died is coming up beautifully. It makes me want to cry every time I look at them. He would be so proud that I didn't kill them. I am so glad that his wife sent me the package. It's bitter sweet to see them out there.
I also am working on an experiment with eggs. I want to see how long fresh chicken eggs can last. I have 3 that I left just as my sister sent them (I think she washed them so they may not have the mother's natural protective coating on them anymore), I have 3 that I covered in lard. Those I put in an egg crate and put them on the counter. Then I took 3 more and put lard on 2, left one natural. Those I put in glass containers with "liquid glass" and will leave them for I guess at least a month after the ones in the crate go bad. This is just an experiment so if any of you have done this before I would appreciate your input.

mollypup
03-28-2012, 11:05 PM
You're garlic story is so sad, but it's nice to know it growing just fine :)

Good luck with your egg experiment. Please post back the results!

Taz Baby
03-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Lady don't be sad when you look at the garlic. Be happy, like you dad is still with you. Talk to him thru your garlic :). He will answer thru the growth of the garlic. Sounds strange to most people who don't understand. But the plants and animals will teach you everything you need to know, you just have to talk to them and listen.
And yes do tell about the eggs, I for one never did an egg experiment except how to get the egg out with out breaking the shell.

ladyhk13
03-28-2012, 11:20 PM
I will do that. I tried to upload pics of the eggs last night but imageshack didn't want to cooperate. They are mostly brown. I was warned about opening them in the house. I told him that I would do the float test first!

Sniper-T
03-28-2012, 11:27 PM
A friend of mine works at a local ègg`-warehouse` it is where all the big producers send their eggs for packaging for the major super stores.according to him, it is not uncommon for the eggs to sit in the warehouse for 3 months or more, before they are rotated through to packaging!! :eek:

It really made me think twice about buying store bought eggs!

ladyhk13
03-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Well Sniper then I guess my eggs should be okay for a pretty long time, huh? I'm not refrigerating them at all since it's to see how long they will last if shtf.

Grumpy Old Man
03-28-2012, 11:32 PM
I get my eggs from one of my mechanics. I know they are fresh and they are really rich. I'm going shooting this weekend and experimenting with a new LP stove oven combo from Harbor Freight.

Sniper-T
03-29-2012, 12:09 AM
I bought 20 pounds of powdered milk... that`s it so far!

Oh, and I got 80pcs of .243 brass from a buddy! sweet!

Taz Baby
03-29-2012, 12:32 AM
downloaded info, caught up on family pics, baked white chocolate macadamia nut cookies and being lazy.
Off to work tomorrow

Evolver
03-29-2012, 12:39 AM
baked white chocolate macadamia nut cookies.
Off to work tomorrow

Those are just the shit... aren't they? Are you going to share? Evolver is drooling all over his shirt and key board.

Sniper-T
03-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Oh, Taz... you gotta post some pics in the dinner porn thread! lets drive Evolver completely nuts!

Get some closeups of the gooey goodness!

;)

Evolver
03-29-2012, 12:48 AM
A friend of mine works at a local ègg`-warehouse` it is where all the big producers send their eggs for packaging for the major super stores.according to him, it is not uncommon for the eggs to sit in the warehouse for 3 months or more, before they are rotated through to packaging!! :eek:

It really made me think twice about buying store bought eggs!

A raw eggs last longer than boiled one's. When you boil eggs it takes away the protective layer that helps "keep" the egg. :) Sry I don't have any statistic but thats just what Ive been taught. :)

bacpacker
03-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Plowed all the rye grass under in the rest of the garden. It was almost knee high and turned well. The ground should be ready to plant by the time to plant the bulk of the garden rolls around.

ladyhk13
03-29-2012, 01:53 AM
downloaded info, caught up on family pics, baked white chocolate macadamia nut cookies and being lazy.
Off to work tomorrow

Ooooh Twin! When you come up we are going to have to make those!!!! When I lived in Hawaii everyone picked them and put them in the oven to dry. Yummy. Subway has great cookies!

Taz Baby
03-29-2012, 01:57 AM
omgoodness Subway is the only place I will buy those cookies. They are my favorite. Now that I have a oven I am baking everything. DH is always turning the air colder. It is down to 65 now. And guess what I am not cold. Wonder why? maybe because the oven was on?
So excited about coming to see you.

Taz Baby
03-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Oh, Taz... you gotta post some pics in the dinner porn thread! lets drive Evolver completely nuts!

Get some closeups of the gooey goodness!

;)

NOw that I can download pics I am having fun with it and yes I have to do that. Better go take pic of the cookies that are left before DH gets them too. There are only 2 left out of a dozen

Taz Baby
03-29-2012, 02:16 AM
:mad:@%&*&@% :p went to download pic onto computer and I forgot to pack the cord to my camera to do that. Now I am having a TAZ ATTACK.@%#&*&@%$&%@$

Sniper-T
03-29-2012, 02:34 AM
most cameras have a removable SD card....

GunnerMax
03-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Got some more camo, more camo, 7.62mm cleaning kit, another military fleece, starting to sell stuff on ebay (gm2max2012 look it up), got accepted into our new apartment, a gated community, with an upstairs. I am SUPER excited about this, because my defense just jumped up many notches. We found out we are having a baby girl yesterday, so stoked about that. Got another Alice belt, and 12 east german AK 4 magazine pouches for epic storage of my AK mag collection that is growing.

Taz Baby
03-29-2012, 09:10 AM
That's right Thanks T. Never looked to see if mine does, lol. Was down loading pics from camera to laptop to put on main computer and forgot to pack the cord.

Katrina
03-30-2012, 04:26 AM
Not sure if this counts but we've expanded the pantry (doubled the size of it), took down a wall blocking kitchen from rest of main floor. Peninsula with more storage goes in tomorrow where old wall was. Oh yah, got more Spam for storage and more bleach. Kitchen is almost done and I can't wait to put all foods back,sort and organize the food storage better.

Taz Baby
03-30-2012, 05:20 AM
SPAM? YUK (Gaging while typing)

Katrina
03-30-2012, 05:48 AM
AW c'mon Taz. It's yummy stuff, specially fried with onions and garlic. Seriously when Pop lost his job when we were little a can of Spam mixed into beans and rice was dinner for us kids growing up. It is one of my comfort foods.

Sniper-T
03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm with Taz! I cannot even stand the smell of the stuff. That and Klik. *shudder*

But that's ok... none in my pantry means more for you... and the more of that in your pantry, means more other things for me.

It's all good!

Taz Baby
03-30-2012, 01:22 PM
In an emergency situation and if I am starving I still would not eat it. Why? because I know what plants I can eat;). but yes spam and Vienna sausages are a good cheap survival food. always pack them in all your BOB's and even in the car, 4-wheelers, ect.

mollypup
03-30-2012, 01:26 PM
When Spam is cut into small chunks and mixed with unsalted cooked rice, it's actually pretty good. It gives salt and fat to the rice which always makes it taste better. If necessary, that's how I plan on serving a lot of our SHTF meals. Maybe not always Spam, but some other canned meat mixed with rice and/or beans/veggies. As long as it can all go into a single pot and into a solar cooker or on the campstove, then it's the meal of the day!

Sniper-T
03-30-2012, 01:50 PM
*shudder*

in a cold sweat... sniper lies on the couch and begins to re-count...

"I was about 10, we were" huh, what? "Oh, a whole group of us... my brother and myself, my dad, a couple uncles, some of their friends and kids. probably close to 20 in total. a whole line of old snowmobiles and sleighs off in the wilderness"

"Anyways, we were fishing this lake, trying for lake trout, and not having much success, but we were still having fun. we had a big fire on the ice, and my dad had a big dutch oven hanging off a tripod filled with his yummy soup."

"all afternoon long, we could just go up, ladle out a cup, scarf it down, and get back to playing."

"and that's when it happened"...

*shudder*

*sob*

"my uncle walked by, glanced in the pot, then went to his sleigh... he... he.... he came back a couple minutes later..."

*shudder*

"and he said 'seems that the pot is getting a little low' And he dumped in a couple cans of klik, and a couple of spam."

"Man... The stink that came off that and permeated the area just about made everyone sick. It was absolutely disgusting. and the texture was even worse, it looked like a combination of dog food and dog puke"

"He was the only one who ate anything after that, I couldn't even go downwind of that pot."

Soaked, sniper sits up... shuddering at the remembery of a long suppressed event.

Taz Baby
03-30-2012, 04:30 PM
When Spam is cut into small chunks and mixed with unsalted cooked rice, it's actually pretty good. It gives salt and fat to the rice which always makes it taste better. If necessary, that's how I plan on serving a lot of our SHTF meals. Maybe not always Spam, but some other canned meat mixed with rice and/or beans/veggies. As long as it can all go into a single pot and into a solar cooker or on the campstove, then it's the meal of the day!
One pot foods I call goulash or surprise meal. But yes the easy way and the fastest to cook in the SHTF I think would be in a dutch oven hanging over a fire.
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4628497789747208&id=9adffa6a939d161994ad4707b17a8075

Taz Baby
03-31-2012, 03:36 AM
well It is a very productive day today. I downloaded a lot of info for me and all my ant family. Now I am watching TV.

msomnipotent
04-01-2012, 01:48 PM
I paid off another credit card (only two left!) and bought more paper bowls and plates. I'm still kicking myself for giving away all of our paper products when we went "green", only to really need them when the community water was tainted. Ugh!

Also added more money to the emergency fund. I know there was something else, but I forgot.

wingnutx
04-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Friday I spent 15 hours rewiring about 80% of my house. More to come.

This staved off SHTF via house fire. There was some scary, scary 1947 wiring in there, with even worse jury-rigged additions added at some point.

When I get the new breaker box in then I will be able to run a generator.

Sniper-T
04-01-2012, 09:16 PM
I rewired my sunroom a few years ago, and even though the house is from 1989; the previous owners found some aluminium wire, and used that! :eek: worse than that, they tied it into the house copper using nothing but a couple twists and some black tape. :eek: :eek:

good on you for your work. everyday in safety will be a thanks to you for being proactive!

Taz Baby
04-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Stopped at a yard sale and bought 5 planer's and a Skil 5.0 jig saw with a laser light. The planer's are size 11 to 6 and the 6 is a Stanley. the others don't have a name on them but they all say made in U.S.A. Cost---$4.00 everything works.

ladyhk13
04-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Ok, I can honestly say I will never eat Span or Vienna sausage....NO, it will not be packed in my BOB nor will you find one single can in my house...ever! Nasty stuff...I'm with you Sniper...*shudder**gag*
I wonder if I can take my Beef A Roni and dehydrate it????? Hmmmmm.
Today I weeded my garden area and turned all my raised beds (all by hand with just me and a shovel OMG!) I think I'm almost ready to plant some of my starters plus I bought 8 tomato plants and 8 strawberry plants. I think this week I'm going to put in my cuke and squash seeds too. I haven't really decided what to grow this year so I'm gonna wing it.

Sniper-T
04-02-2012, 11:21 AM
I wonder if I can take my Beef A Roni and dehydrate it????? Hmmmmm.

I don't see why not, it would be no different than me dehydrating a pan of lasagne!

hmmmm....

Sniper-T
04-02-2012, 11:29 AM
I mapped out all my raised planters, set out my garden plan, and got 3 mini-greenhouses of seeds started:
Windowsill Greenhouse 24-5042 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Plants-Bulbs-Trees-Seeds-Seed-Starters/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbx6d/R-202250739/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051)

Also planted some Wintercress, and a whack of lettuce and spinach (indoors)

izzyscout21
04-02-2012, 02:47 PM
picked up 200 rounds of .22 Magnum

worked in the garden....a lot.....

Sniper-T
04-02-2012, 02:50 PM
what's .22 Mag going for down there Iz?

mollypup
04-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Today I weeded my garden area and turned all my raised beds (all by hand with just me and a shovel OMG!) I think I'm almost ready to plant some of my starters plus I bought 8 tomato plants and 8 strawberry plants. I think this week I'm going to put in my cuke and squash seeds too. I haven't really decided what to grow this year so I'm gonna wing it.

I'm right there with ya Ladyhk13! I poured over all my gardening books and magazines trying to find a raised bed garden plan and eventually I just went with some of the seeds I had. So, yesterday me and hubbs put in the 2nd garden bed and rowed up the old garden. He planted corn in the old garden and I planted some lettuce in between the corn on a couple of rows. In one raised bed I planted Kentucky Brown pole beans, broccoli, cabbage and beets. I have absolutely no idea if I planted the right stuff or not, only time will tell. I'm still trying to decide what to plant in the other raised bed. This gardening stuff forces a person to make a LOT of decisions!!!!

Stormfeather
04-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Had military obligations since last wednesday, so havent had the chance to really do anything to prep. "Although". . . 5 unopened cases of heater meals didnt get packed up and somehow ended up by the dumpster which I "liberated", so I guess that could count! :)

Taz Baby
04-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Planted potato eyes today, am starting to harden off my asparagus, artichoke and the peppercini (they are just coming up). Will probably put the asparagus and artichoke in the ground later this week. Waiting for the rest of my seeds to come up....patiently. I didn't start any tomato so I'm going to buy the plants, Lowe's has heirlooms so just as easy to get them.
I weeded the garden area, sprayed the weeds there and then spread Preen. Oh yeah, I also dug out the area in front of the fence door so it would open all the way...for some reason dirt had piled up and I had to squeeze through so now I can open the gate all the way! Yahoo!
My German garlic that my dad packed up for me just before he died is coming up beautifully. It makes me want to cry every time I look at them. He would be so proud that I didn't kill them. I am so glad that his wife sent me the package. It's bitter sweet to see them out there.
I also am working on an experiment with eggs. I want to see how long fresh chicken eggs can last. I have 3 that I left just as my sister sent them (I think she washed them so they may not have the mother's natural protective coating on them anymore), I have 3 that I covered in lard. Those I put in an egg crate and put them on the counter. Then I took 3 more and put lard on 2, left one natural. Those I put in glass containers with "liquid glass" and will leave them for I guess at least a month after the ones in the crate go bad. This is just an experiment so if any of you have done this before I would appreciate your input.

Just found this on preserving eggs but I think that you really should use eggs directly from the chicken and not store bought eggs because they have been washed and no telling how old they really are. But everywhere I look they say use mineral oil but be careful they do not have cracks in them or any imperfections at all. Hope this helps.

MORE Tips for Preserving Eggs | (http://preparednesspro.com/more-tips-for-preserving-eggs/)

http://preparednesspro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/cracked-egg-300x225.jpg

izzyscout21
04-03-2012, 08:27 PM
what's .22 Mag going for down there Iz?

Average of about $10+ tax per box of 50

bacpacker
04-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Spent a bunch of time in the garden. I planted Annual ryegrass last fall and it grew a lot thru the winter and this spring. It was almost knee high before it got dry enough to plow under. It's taking a while to get it cut up with the disc. It's starting to breakdown some, but should be in good shape in another week or two.
On a separate note, my winter wheat is doing great. I'll try and get a pic up next time I'm out.

Sniper-T
04-04-2012, 01:45 AM
???

you plant rye... just toplow it under?

Just for mulch?

I`m so confused

bacpacker
04-05-2012, 01:03 AM
I grow the rye thru the winter, it get's planted in late Sept/early Oct. It comes up maybe a coouple inch's before frost then just sets there and holds the soil in place thru the winter rains. Once it starts warming up the rye grows like crazy. It just turned April and it was almost knee high already and very thick.
I turn it in the spring to build the soil. I use very little commercial fertilize and want to keep the nutrient level as high and balanced as I can. It will break down over the next few weeks and help feed the plants later this summer.
I also grow Buckwheat thru the summer for the same reason. It'll grow about that high in 6 weeks or so. Turn it under and it breaks down quickly as well. I usually let some of it go to seed to harvest a little.
I've been doing this mostly for about 15 years now and the ground is in about as good as now as it was when we moved here. I wish we had more trees, for the leaves. I get a lot of green product, but not nearly as much brown.

ak474u
04-05-2012, 04:51 AM
240 more x39 fmj, and another 100 9mm. I also found a local museum that has ammo cans pretty cheap, they have a P51, a B25, and a B29 that do airshows, and since they actually use blanks in their 50's, they have lots of ammo cans marked M2 2009, so they are new-ish and in good shape, much better than gun show pricing, and it's a little over 5 minutes from home.

Also, I designed and built, a gas valve retainer plate for my Yugo AK, which eliminates the grenade launcher sight, which has some "slop" in the notches that externally lock over little ears machined into the gas valve, which makes the gas valve "de-index" from open, to mostly open, and creates FTE, and double feeds. I have the prototype made, and it holds REALLY tight, I've developed a less offensive looking design, and if the prototype works flawlessly, I'll change the look, but keep the function the same. This is designed to work in tandem with the CNCWarrior replacement M70 Gas valve, which fits great, but doesn't really fix the issue of the gas valve turning during extended firing even when the grenade sight is locked positively into the detent notches. I'll post a tech article once I have it all worked out, and proofed at the range..

Sniper-T
04-05-2012, 05:32 AM
I`ve collected 12 2L bottles for food storage. cleaned and disinfected.... now I gotta shop!

GunnerMax
04-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Decided with the wife to use cloth diapers and a diaper service for our daughter. Reason being: less trash, more AMERICAN jobs, no midnight diaper runs, more natural, she will potty train quicker, and they are REUSABLE, so no dependence on diapers if/when SHTF :) And we will have 80 diapers on hand at any one time.
$18 a week seems like a damn good investment for a diaper service. :)

Talking to the wife about another huge ammo order next month. I am getting it while I can.

carly
04-05-2012, 07:45 PM
I had my first Krav Maga lesson for self defense.

The Stig
04-06-2012, 05:02 PM
I had my first Krav Maga lesson for self defense.

Did you like it?

msomnipotent
04-06-2012, 06:39 PM
I finally remembered the other thing I forgot. I ordered a new back pack now that I am into this thing that everyone calls "walking". It should be here today. It should have been here two days ago and I planned to test it out at a state park today, but oh well. Now to decide what to do with the other one.

I ordered some freeze-dried fruits and veggies. I really think that prices will skyrocket this summer. My cherry trees blossomed two months early and I would be shocked if we do not get at least one hard frost to ruin the fruit crops before they are ready.

Taz Baby
04-06-2012, 06:57 PM
MS you can always make it a pack for the car, kids, dog, or first aid only. Just some idea's for ya.

msomnipotent
04-06-2012, 07:16 PM
MS you can always make it a pack for the car, kids, dog, or first aid only. Just some idea's for ya.

It is a Kelty trekker 3950, so it is an external frame and too bulky for me. I have a minivan, so I can't hide it in the trunk and it will be a thieving scum magnet. I only bought it because I liked the colors (muted green and gray) and my husband had a much older Kelty external frame that he really likes. He still has it and you would never know it is older than dirt. I am kind of thinking of giving it to my nephew that is into camping and prepping, but I am also thinking about selling it or keeping it for trade. Even though it has my FAK and emergency supplies, I never bothered to take the tags off of it, so it shouldn't be too hard to sell as never been used. It is too big for my daughter and will be too big for some time. Right now, I am just using her school back pack from last year as her BOB because Hannah Montana rocks.

Grumpy Old Man
04-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Decided with the wife to use cloth diapers and a diaper service for our daughter. Reason being: less trash, more AMERICAN jobs, no midnight diaper runs, more natural, she will potty train quicker, and they are REUSABLE, so no dependence on diapers if/when SHTF :) And we will have 80 diapers on hand at any one time.
$18 a week seems like a damn good investment for a diaper service. :)

Talking to the wife about another huge ammo order next month. I am getting it while I can.

Gunner, you may want to investigate these. They are made such that the diapers can be adjusted for growth.

FuzziBunz® Modern Cloth Diapers, Wipes, Changing Pads and Nursing Pads: Earth Friendly Baby Care! (http://www.fuzzibunz.com/)