PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to prep this week?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Taz Baby
06-11-2012, 12:34 AM
try soft pretzels, their fun to make. Or cinnomin( how do you spell that word?) buns, easy and fun. Twin just talkedto you today about stevia and stuff.will try to get you that link on Pvc hydro lettuce.

Taz Baby
06-11-2012, 12:43 AM
made carmel stevia, harvesting wild herbs, and our spring water is not running good. Guess I have to do a rain dance,lol. I know how to make it rain but it rains for days when I do.

Sniper-T
06-11-2012, 10:34 AM
That'll fill your barrels!

If you want you can have my rain. It just doesn't want to quit

Sniper-T
06-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Not much for prep, but since it rained most of the weekend, I cleaned up in the garage. First order of business was to find a home for this beast, plug it in, and get it 'filled'

Beer, coolers, pop(mix), water. cans or bottles, it cools and dispenses them all.

:)

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/0609121455b.jpg

Next up... sort and organize them dang shelves!

ak474u
06-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Not much for prep, but since it rained most of the weekend, I cleaned up in the garage. First order of business was to find a home for this beast, plug it in, and get it 'filled'

Beer, coolers, pop(mix), water. cans or bottles, it cools and dispenses them all.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/0609121455b.jpg

Next up... sort and organize them dang shelves!

That giant boom box makes me wanna bust out some break dancing moves.

Sniper-T
06-11-2012, 07:19 PM
rofl

You shoulda come out for the hog-roast peanut night at the saloon on Friday. woulda loved to see them peanut Shells flying with some headspins!

ak474u
06-11-2012, 07:29 PM
rofl

You shoulda come out for the hog-roast peanut night at the saloon on Friday. woulda loved to see them peanut Shells flying with some headspins!

Hurts my scalp doing it on peanut shells and asphalt, I prefer a good refrigerator box. Lol

Vodin
06-13-2012, 12:46 AM
I am digging out the lower pond that the racoons shredded. I am gonna build a pit greenhouse it. I am waiting on the companies to come in and mark where the lines are so I can dig safely. (That is life digging holes in the suburbs) I am planing on merging the pond and the green house for an aquaponic environment. Fish waste is awesome for plants and Plant is waste is good fer da fish. When that is a reality I need to find Pacho, trout, catfish or tilapia and start that up...

ladyhk13
06-13-2012, 12:54 AM
I am digging out the lower pond that the racoons shredded. I am gonna build a pit greenhouse it. I am waiting on the companies to come in and mark where the lines are so I can dig safely. (That is life digging holes in the suburbs) I am planing on merging the pond and the green house for an aquaponic environment. Fish waste is awesome for plants and Plant is waste is good fer da fish. When that is a reality I need to find Pacho, trout, catfish or tilapia and start that up...

What is a pit green house? Just curious, I know that fish emulsion is one of the best fertilizers but since we won't have fish in the green house but will most likely have them in a pond I wonder how the pond water would work using it in a hydroponic system? Thoughts?

Vodin
06-13-2012, 01:08 AM
A pit green house is half underground and other half is above ground. This helps keep the temp more constant. so for me it will be aprox 4' underground with 3' sticking out of the ground. And what is sticking out will allow sun to shine in. I plan on having tanks in the pit greenhouse that contain the baby fish. And when they are large enough transfer into the pond. To grow, mate and be eaten.

ladyhk13
06-13-2012, 01:29 AM
So is the pit 100% underground for that 4' or is kind of like a walkout basement built into a hillside facing south? Do you have a pic of one? This sounds really cool and maybe something to do for my other green house.... I love new ideas!

Vodin
06-13-2012, 02:11 AM
Ok the greenhouse is 7 feet tall. 4 feet of it will be underground and the other 3 feet will be above ground. Steps will lead down to the patio door, slide it and enter. I am 5'9" so I will see the out side as if I was 1' 9" tall. The earth remains warmer in the winter due to its Thermal Mass ( Thermal mass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_mass) ) This is what I seek since power may become an issue. I have heard that when properly built grid power is not needed to keep the greenhouse fully active all year round. Mine will but a small hole in my small plot of land but I will make the most of what I have.

ladyhk13
06-13-2012, 02:17 AM
This is a very cool idea. I may have to check into it more. One above ground green house and one pit....the possibilities are endless!

Vodin
06-13-2012, 02:20 AM
Ok here is what you seek ladyhk13.

Walipini Underground Greenhouses 1/3: Sterling Allan & Jeffrey Grupp on The Power Hour - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAO44WpSleI&feature=related)

Here is a more refined Pit Greenhouse using Concrete. I am not that wealthy : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMeaCgakjy4&feature=channel&list=UL

This is the basic method I have expanded upon it mentally : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-1LWiwHeaw&feature=channel&list=UL

And another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hV8Teiskfo

Sniper-T
06-13-2012, 11:25 AM
How are you going to keep it drained? wont runoff and ground water be an issue?

Vodin
06-13-2012, 03:02 PM
It is a sealed enclosure as I am to understand it. I am currently in the process of researching the construction as well as digging out the area for it to be built in. I would assume if you place gravel in the base of the structure the water will have time to dissipate.

2die4
06-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Bought a kit that has single serving packets of purification powder to treat up to 8 liters of water.

robin48
06-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Added a couple of ceramic filter kits from Just Water, picked up more paracord and ammo boxes.

ladyhk13
06-14-2012, 10:46 PM
How are you going to keep it drained? wont runoff and ground water be an issue?

Looking at some of the designs that was one of my concerns as well.

Taz Baby
06-15-2012, 02:57 AM
Started building a chicken tractor on a lawn cart trailer. Will house up to 4 chickens with a 4x8 wire run. Will try and get pics up when done. Got most of the things moved into the shed and now mainly cleaning up getting ready to build. No rain and the creeks are drying up, but still getting some water from the spring, not much but some. We are thinking of running more pipes into the rock for more water. We only have 1 right now.

GunnerMax
06-15-2012, 04:19 PM
ordered 8 more AK mags to fill up every AK pouch I have, plus one in the gun, plus one backup :cool:

tompnoid
06-15-2012, 07:58 PM
i am going tonight and tomorow to the classes to learn to hunt and trap and i jioned my local gun club

Vodin
06-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Spoke to a like minded business owner. I found a person that I can communicate with about the process of prepping.

DarkLight
06-17-2012, 02:05 AM
Passed my Amateur Extra exam today. WOOT!

ladyhk13
06-17-2012, 04:14 AM
picked 47 lbs of peaches and a gallon of blueberries today to can and make jams.

ak474u
06-17-2012, 05:40 AM
Wife is buying me/us a family membership to Texas Defensive Shooting Academy for fathers day. Very cool range, lots of LEO training goes on there, they have steels, moveable barriers and target stands, 2 feet to 25 yd pistol, sniper tower (CONEX standing on end), a little town, up to 400yd rifle, and although a very safe place due to the berms, and layout, very few rules that preclude you from doing real world shooting. They also have cars for use in shoot and move/ firing from cover and concealment drills. You can only do limited shoot and move without a medic present, but several members teach a course to others to meet the qualification for basic hole patching in the event someone gets hurt. I've shot there once with an instructor friend, and I give it an 11 on a 1-10 scale, even if my rifle crapped the bed, and it was raining. Oh, and you can go at night with a call-ahead to make sure there isn't a special training event for LEO in progress.

Grumpy Old Man
06-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Going to the Mojave for Desert Thunder Summer Solstice!

ak474u
06-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Pins, extractors, firing pin, couple extra springs, ammo, single ak pouch, a few little things that were missing. Waiting on the brown truck of happiness to arrive with my side folder, and QD swivels among other things.

bacpacker
06-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Picked up a gallon of blueberries, plus picking what we are getting from our own plants. We are picking up a bunch of peaches tonight. Over the weekend I got one of these:

Cold SteelĀ® Pipe Hawk™ Tomahawk (http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/cold+steel+pipe+hawk/Cold+Steel%C2%AE+Pipe+Hawk%26%23153%3B+Tomahawk/CS90PHH.html)

I've been looking at these for several months and finally had a chance to go pick it up. My plan is to keep it in the truck with my other get home gear.
I also got one of these,:

Rite in the Rain (http://www.riteintherain.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=980T-KIT&CatId={7E98D958-BA07-4D6C-848E-08B3F149DD28})

Been looking at them for a bit and decided that it would be great for keeping in the car for note taking on my trip back and forth to work, for planning Get home trips. Plus make notes on stuff in various routes away from home.

Grumpy Old Man
06-19-2012, 11:00 PM
FYI Cold Steel has opened a retail store out here. over in Ventura. About 3-4 hours west of me, but not all that far as the crow flies.

Special Projects (A Division of Cold Steel® Knives). About Us (http://www.ltspecpro.com/aboutus.aspx)

izzyscout21
06-20-2012, 12:22 AM
It doesn't really count as a prep, but I was at least productive.

Built my kids a sandbox outside for their upcoming birthday. Those of you that know me, know that this is a BIG thing for me....I'm not exactly handy with tools unless it's an AR wrench....

Echo2
06-20-2012, 12:37 AM
Bought 2 pigs....and 400lbs of feed to start....contracted them to be raised until fall.....then turned to yummy stuff.

Spoke with a friend at a bakery....will be able to get "day old" sweets and breads for about a month before slaughter for fattening.

Got six 10lb bags of instant mashed potatoes.

Taz Baby
06-20-2012, 02:01 AM
We got our chickens all settled in and got our first egg. A very skinny stray cow showed up at our water tank looking for water in our creek. DH heard a loud rustling in the woods and thought it was the bear. He grabs the gun and heads out to see what it was, and of coarse I am right behind him. Well I saw it first and told him, then went to get corn and my camera, but by the time I got back he was gone. Got a contractor to build part of our house today so at least it will get started. Cabin comes first, then ours. I will be in my new house for xmas.

Sniper-T
06-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Echo: where'd you buy the potatoes? Around here I can only find boxes with individual servings. Which isn't bad, but I would like some in bigger bulk too

Taz: Put some corn out where you saw it. maybe you can encourage it to hang around.

Taz Baby
06-20-2012, 11:23 AM
sniper, I put corn out and even named him Fernando but I haven,t seen him again. He,s not taged so I guess he,s fair game.

Sniper-T
06-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Keep your eyes open and some corn ready... you never know when he might show up again. Oddly enough, cows are social creatures, if you can be-friend him with food, he might just decide to Moooooove on in.

Echo2
06-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Echo: where'd you buy the potatoes? Around here I can only find boxes with individual servings. Which isn't bad, but I would like some in bigger bulk too

A buddy of mine got it from one of the restaurant supply warehouses..... I believe it was US Foods.

I already had about 18 of the 5lb bags that I got from Sam's club a couple years back....been using them quite frequently.

Hint: if you microwave a couple potatoes....with skins....cut them up and add into the instant....they go over a lot better. I personally don't like the potato "pudding"...I like the chunks...:)

Vodin
06-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Looking in to fish hatcheries for possible transplants : )

Taz Baby
06-23-2012, 01:04 AM
went to a few yard sales, got the dog groomed, and it is finally raining. Woo Hoo

Vodin
06-24-2012, 02:08 PM
OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The most needed prep (at the moment) BUG REPELLENT!!!!!!!!! IEYYEEEE!!!!!!!!!! Colorado has gots to many Mosquitoes!! I don't know what happened in the last 2 weeks well rain did. In 15 minutes of walking the dogs my wife killed 14 sqeeters on me (3 at at time with just 2 smacks) and I killed about 8 on her. And when we got home we both looked like when been shot with rock salt! We went to walmart to buy benadryl and off deep woods repel. Did I say OMG? Damn I feel light headed from the loss of blood. And that don't even cover the mega skeeter the deer fly... omg... <looking around quickly> those things hit you and they dont want your blood the want you attn and enduring irritation. The welts they leave behind no they are not welts... they are speed bumps. I can go on fer days about the hellish SHTF Sqeeter assault behind our house. Moment I need to reload my shotgun, Vamperic Sqeeter MUST die!!!!!

bacpacker
06-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Good Vodin. We spent most of the afternoon out yesterday putting a roller system in to open the chicken door from outside the pen, plus installing the door and slide system. The sweat bees and flies were eating us alive. Just glad we didn't get the deer flies yet. Anyway got the door/slide installed and adjusted where it works easily.

Still picking blueberries, but now we are fighting the turkeys. I've seen a hen with a bunch of young ones (6-10) in the neighbors field. It's getting time to run a electric fence around the garden to keep them out. Also put up 1/2 bushel of peaches, had a hard time staying out of them.

Picked up 1600 CCI Mini Mags in .22.

I've also spent some time this week looking into solar systems. I need to run power out to the shop and I'm considering using solar for that. It will cost more, but if SHTF I will still be able to do some of the things that I would need to do. It would be built with the capability of adding more panels to increase output.

Sniper-T
06-25-2012, 11:08 AM
^ Those .22's will do a nice number on the turkeys too! and fill the freezer to boot!

Vodin
07-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Just got done helping my wife can applesauce. We used Gala, Jazz and Red Delicious apples. Mixed em all together, mushed em up and canned em. They will last till the end of the year (we will eat by then) and looking forward on having the leftovers (not enough to fill another jar) tonight.

bacpacker
07-01-2012, 10:01 PM
We canned some pineapple jam today, harvested some onions, and continue to water the garden to try and keep it alive.

I also went out and picked up 2000 more Winchester M-22 40gr rounds, a large bottle of Hoppe's #9, 2 sizes of bulk patches, and a couple of bore brushes. A couple of freeze dried meals to sample, and Tom Brown's book "Field Guide to Wilderness Survival".

Vodin
07-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Canned some apricot jam and didnt use any pectin (my wife stated) I just do the menial work.

Digging more on the pond will post pics in the hear future. Its a pain in the arse but hand digging just makes you love it more when it is done.

ak474u
07-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Ammo, planning for some additional goodies this week.

Sniper-T
07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
cleaned and organized my garage a little. Making room for past purchases, and for future ones

DarkLight
07-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Getting one of the following today:
Springfield XD 9 subcompact
S&W M&P 9 subcompact
Kahr CW9
Glock 19

While it will be "my" birthday present it will be something that the wife and 14yr old daughter are comfortable holding. I'm ok with that oddly enough. :grin:

Taz Baby
07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Started building on cabin, still getting cucumbers, maters, peppers from garden. Dryed herbs, watering garden and if no rain tonight will still be watering. Can,t do a rain dance cause roof is off now. Made wasp sting spray from jewelweed. Am armed and ready for them now.

ladyhk13
07-04-2012, 03:01 AM
Need pics Taz!!!!

Stormfeather
07-05-2012, 09:33 AM
re-re-re-organized my BugOut storage. . .still cant figure out the best way to store all this.

ak474u
07-06-2012, 01:30 AM
re-re-re-organized my BugOut storage. . .still cant figure out the best way to store all this.

I need to buy my stuff it's own house... I feel your pain, my stuff is getting more substantial, but much more organized, not enough but better. I just added more shelves to my safe that are supported by the upper shelf, so that makes room for the old' lady's jewelry, and my FLIR camera for work, as well as making more space available for documents, and handguns.

I'm going to be removing my pistol safe from the truck in favor of a rifle sized steel trunk, so that is gonna get bolted to the top of the safe for frequently accessed safe contents, and wife's jewelry so she can get it without waking me up in the am.

Echo2
07-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Bought 240 AA batteries.....duracell..procells

bacpacker
07-06-2012, 01:40 AM
The wife ran across a sale on canning jars. She picked up 6 dozen more pints. I also picked up 2 31 gallon metal cans with lids to use to clean the wheat, then storage afterward. Also got another 130' water hose for irrigating the garden.

Taz Baby
07-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Need pics Taz!!!!

coming soon, just need good internet at B A M.

Taz Baby
07-06-2012, 02:28 AM
well we have been hit by rain and lots of it with 60 MH winds. Tarps on and off, as constrution is still going on. Ain't gonna let that stop us. Canned 3 pints of bread n butter cucumber,s today. Making more pickles asap. Deer and babies are everywhere now and the lightening bugs give us a light show every night. I now get sernade by frogs again do to the rain. Creeks and waterfalls are running again. Yeah to mother nature.

DarkLight
07-06-2012, 03:04 AM
Settled on the S&W M&P 9C. It was the one the wife and daughter were most comfortable with and at this point if I can get them shooting I'll buy just about whatever they are willing to pick up.

Taz Baby
07-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Some pics of our building summer project.
Roof off
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/Taz-Baby/Picture253.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/Taz-Baby/Picture254.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/Taz-Baby/Picture269.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/Taz-Baby/Picture272.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/Taz-Baby/Picture273.jpg

Dropy
07-07-2012, 03:27 PM
O very nice there. I cant wait to move up to Alaska and start building our stuff...or buying something and making it our own.

bacpacker
07-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Wow nice addition Taz. That looks AWESOME! I know you can't wait till it's done. Good lookin work.

Jericho72
07-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Well Stormfeather and I hit up an auction today and i scored some silver coins and 10 boxes of 12 gauge slugs. picked up 3 new survival knives and a compound bow. I also picked up a 12 gauge shot gun and a .22 rifle. added 20 pounds of rice and 6 pounds of beans to my storeage food. My 12 year old daughter also completed her huners safety course a couple weeks ago. All in all a pretty eventful month for me.

2die4
07-08-2012, 02:55 AM
Adding to the BoB fresh Mre's and box 80 rounds of .223 ammo

Katrina
07-08-2012, 04:03 AM
DH hung the shelves in basement for my " food storage", his words and cleared out the closet under the stairs for more storage. I think he may be coming around!!

ladyhk13
07-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Went shopping at costco and bought about $700+ worth of supplies, and canned chili. Also bought more canning lids at wally world. Will set a day to do a bunch of meat canning next, then sucky all the sugar (100 lbs) and pack up the 50lbs of bread flour. got on a homemade bread kick.

Vodin
07-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Filled up (16) 2 liter empty Coke and Dew bottles. Shelved em and will refill em in 6 months along with more bottles that I am drinking. Oh and yes I have an addiction to pop... drink it now cause SHTF moment means no more. (Not wasting the 6month old water will clean hands/fill pond/flush with it)

Taz Baby
07-09-2012, 02:28 AM
Took the day off and went to a flea market, bought food and tapped deeper into spring. Watched the lightening bugs show that they put on while listening to our porch band a pickin. It don't get any better than this.

Stormfeather
07-10-2012, 10:38 AM
So Jericho and I went to a gun store auction. Apparently this place was going out of business. Since it was the place he scored that brand new Colt sporter for $500. . . I went to make sure I didnt miss out on anything!

Picked up 20 boxes of Remington 12 ga slugs for $2.00 a box.
4 Compound bows for $10.00 each, all in excellent condition
1 Oil lamp, $2.00
5 Cast Iron skillets, slight rusty, but cleaned up great! $5.00 ($1.00 each)
5 pre-64 Silver dollars at $13.00 each
10 silver dimes (forgot how much, but was cheap)
assorted 1950's canadian silver coins (exremely cheap)

Passed on the rifles and shotguns they was selling, but they sold most of them for around $50 a pop.

All in all, was a great time! Now have to concentrate on restocking the freezer with meats because apparently Ive canned it all and have ran out!

Sniper-T
07-10-2012, 10:58 AM
^ good score(s)!

bacpacker
07-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Very good score. I wish i could find a going out of business down here that had half of that stuff at anyjwhere near those prices.

Stormfeather
07-10-2012, 07:18 PM
The silver started selling at a really high price til I went out to the concession stand and was making "idle small talk" so people could overhear me about how people were extremely overpaying on the silver, since spot price was down to $27.00 Even the auctioneer commented as bidding slowed down wondering if the silver price dropped during the break! I saw silver dollars started selling at $45-$50 bucks a pop, and knew there was some uneducated folks buying it up! turned out a few folks checked it out on their phones and saw I was right and the word spread. Wasnt trying to be a ass or anything, just trying to work the market in my favor.

Grumpy Old Man
07-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Great score on the silver!

Echo2
07-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Been doing some work for my favorite customers....in town once a year.....I dedicate the entire month of July to these folks.

Work like mad for 25 to 30 days....but they always pay as we work or at the latest... before they leave. (one of them I worked for I missed before he left town....he drove back up from Fla. on his own nickle and paid in cash....with a $500 bonus for the wait....it hadn't been 7 days yet)

ladyhk13
07-11-2012, 03:04 AM
Canned tomatos from the garden and some blackberries that dh picked for me all by himself....so sweet.

Stormfeather
07-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Not really a prepping thing, but kind of is... the DW went and cleaned up our mud room that has been a packing disaster for the last two years. Now all of the extra water bottles and boxes are unpacked, filled, and stored! Was a extremely pleasant surprise to come home to!

AlphaTea
07-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Took my brother and father shooting. Introduced them to my Glocks.
Much fun was had

tompnoid
07-11-2012, 05:38 PM
I have been taking my sons hiking 10 and 4 they both hiked 4 miles last weekend in 2 hours and begged to do more so we went down through the creek and walked the creek if we have to bug out we are going to have no problems moving over terrain

- - - Updated - - -

yo i wish i could get some slugs for 2 a box i am paying 15

AlphaTea
07-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Just bought (pre-order) 1000 rds 9mm from SG
$208 after discount and coupon for free shipping
Comes in 2 50cal ammo cans too!

cwconnertx
07-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Upgraded armor

Tyr Tactical PICO MV Plate Carrier with T34 Armor
http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/...late-carrier1/
MV Ergonomic Drop Leg Panel (set) with T34 Armor
http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/...panel-set-t34/

Only problem I forsee is that I can't keep several of these drop leg panels each with different types of loads, too expensive compared to regular drop legs.

msomnipotent
07-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Not really prepping in a way, but the thread about what games you play got me thinking. I went out and bought a chess set, checkers, and a few dolls for my daughter in case the power goes out. Also searched through the house and finally found the decks of cards I had put away. Now that the exchange student is gone, I can start buying food in quantity again.

I try to keep it low key while I host students, but this one and another French student figured it out on their own. I still can't figure out how, but I think they are preppers, too. I walked from room to room, top to bottom, and the only things I could spot were the extra water in the basement (about 10 cases and some containers), and the canned goods. The LTS foods are out of sight and sealed. The books are in boxes in the basement. The canned goods are more than a normal family would consume, but not an outrageous amount. The only real slip up was when an Emergency Essentials catalog came in the mail when my sister was here, and she started shooting her mouth off about how I am preparing for the Mayan apocalypse (which I actually don't believe), and the girl said, "Yes, I have noticed that.". I should have asked her how she noticed instead of silently freaking out and backtracking.

GunnerMax
07-14-2012, 01:22 AM
I finished my AK47 gear setup. Need more pistol pouches, and to stock the BoB and my buttpack, but otherwize done.

My unborn girl has major health problems, so spending anything right now is a no-no.

bacpacker
07-14-2012, 02:16 AM
Gunner sorry to hear about your little girl. Other than my prayers, (which you are getting) let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys.

LUNCHBOX
07-14-2012, 06:18 AM
I threw this small coop together in a couple hours. Floor space is 3' X 7' and I'll probably keep 4-6 chickens in it. Its not my ideal set-up as anyone who saw my other coops prior to the move but I will make it work. I will have the means to heat/cool it via the basement with canvas wraps in the winter. (hope the "Lord of the Chicken Coop" isn't upset with this quick build)
http://i45.tinypic.com/j5f8dx.jpg

bacpacker
07-14-2012, 02:25 PM
I'll give it my seal of approval LB. Crap you should see what I had a dozen chickens in.

Bottom line, you gotta do what you gotta do to make it happen.

I had a decent week and picked up a few items. I got one of the Sawyer water purifiers. It's garunteed to filter 1 million gallons and is useable from several different sources, spigot, water bottle, water bag, or bucket.
I also picked up a couple pair of woodland cammo pants, a drop leg pouch for up to 4 ar mags, plus a pouch for 4 more AR mags, A barrel mount 2" picatinney rail to mount a flashlight on the AR. A cheapo mount for another light, I plan on trying it on the shotgun, but it may end up on the Mini 14.

We got 2 bottles of Gatorade powder, a bag of freeze dried Mountian House beef stroganoff to try out. And 3 other single serve packets of a electrolyte mix I got from an endurance sport store to try out.

While diggin aorund on line I found a match to my Yeasu FT-60 handheld radio. It didn't have a battery pack, but for $70 bucks I figured I could finish that off easy enough. When It arrived, it had a nice aftermarket whip antenna, like I have on our old HT's and 2 plastic backs that replace the battery pack. These back will accept 6 AA batteries to run the radio with. I'll have to try these out and see what the battery life ends up being using the AA's. This will give me an d the DW the same radio, plus we now have 2 spare HT's.

Taz Baby
07-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Lot of ran has turned y littlle tabletop coontainer garden into a fulll garden plot. Sun is shining now so roof is going on today.

Echo2
07-14-2012, 09:47 PM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8024/7570474918_0d8c6f8dfd.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7134/7570479632_b44b49d7a3.jpg

slowz1k
07-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Put brake pads and a new water pump on my suburban yesterday. Not only does DIY vehicle maint save money, but it gives a person an intimate understanding of a vehicle and how it works.... Plus the more you can do on your own, the less you rely on others. This was the first time I've had to visit under the hood for anything more than air filter and plugs on this particular vehicle.
Not really a prepping item, but experienced gained on a vehicle that I plan to rely on in a post event

Taz Baby
07-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Got a killer deal on a warehouse full of Styrofoam panels. Going to insulate everything we build.

bacpacker
07-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Slowz, IMO being able to work on your own stuff, vehicle, house, whatever is a HUGE prep item. i think skills are much more important than things. Being able to keep your stuff operating is a big deal.

I found a buy on 12ga Federal 00 buck at Gander Mtn. Picked up 350 rounds. Also I've been trying to build my stock of cleaning supplies, over the past few weeks I've picked up several bottle of cleaning liquids, hoppe's, CLP, barnes, etc. Bore snakes, brushes, and a shit load of cleaning pads is several calibers.

Grumpy Old Man
07-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Resupply from Colloids for Life. Put beans and rice in Folgers plastic cans with O2 Absorbers.

Sniper-T
07-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Stopped by the dollar store and picked up a few things for the pantry:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/Pantry/0716121742a.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/Pantry/0716121742b.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/Pantry/0716121742c.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/Pantry/0716121743b.jpg

86 cans, a bunch of noodles and stuff, for less than $100. I love that store!

msomnipotent
07-18-2012, 07:03 PM
I finished my AK47 gear setup. Need more pistol pouches, and to stock the BoB and my buttpack, but otherwize done.

My unborn girl has major health problems, so spending anything right now is a no-no.

Sorry to hear. Keeping your family in my thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered 1/2 a cow. Actually, my husband ordered it, which is saying something. His eyes are finally opening but he still doesn't want "junk" like extra gas and guns around the house. He is starting to see the price increases on everything. Also bought another cherry tree to replace the one ruined by ants and Japanese beetles.

Stormfeather
07-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Looking to pick up a case lot of 72 cans of bega cheese as soon as I hear back from the rep who is somewhat local to me. Hopefully will happen today!

Sniper-T
07-19-2012, 01:38 PM
^ Interesting! Got some details on that Stormy?

Might have to try that in a couple weeks when I see you (hint hint). That could be something well worth adding to my pantry

Taz Baby
07-19-2012, 04:39 PM
2 construction projects complete( shed and cabin) now starting on my house

Daca102090
07-20-2012, 02:35 AM

Might have to try that in a couple weeks when I see you (hint hint). That could be something well worth adding to my pantry

I picked up a couple cases of this cheese through internetgrocer.com and was very pleased with the product. Very good cheddar and 5 year shelf life.

Stormfeather
07-20-2012, 05:35 PM

For those that dont know. . .

Bega and Red Feather Canned Cheese

The great people at Bega have been making cheese since 1899 and have found a way to put great tasting cheddar cheese in a can. This product has a natural cream color with medium cheddar flavor and a pleasing texture. The cheese is easy to cut, grate or slice. It’s great melted on a burger, on hash browns, or just straight out of the can. There is no expiration date on these cans, only the date of production. These cans are guaranteed for 730 days, but if stored properly, will last much longer. This cheese is also hormone free and Halal certified. There are no artificial colors or flavors. Both brands of cheese are made at the Bega plant in Bega, Australia. I have personally eaten a can of BEGA cheese that was over 45 years old, and tasted it against a new production can, and there was no difference between the two.

A case of Bega canned cheese 36/200 g cans is $85 + shipping and the Yoders canned bacon 12/9oz case is $127 + shipping. Now, They also running a special on Bega canned cheese 56g cans - 72 cans for $48 plus shipping. If interested, let me know, and You can just pick it up when you stop by and save yourself on shipping~

AlphaTea
07-23-2012, 12:23 PM
In the process of acquiring another Glock

izzyscout21
07-23-2012, 04:04 PM
50 lbs powdered sugar.............

9mm AR

izzyscout21
07-24-2012, 02:35 AM
just finished transferring the Charlie Sheen bag of powdered sugar into 2 5gal buckets.............

AlphaTea
07-24-2012, 06:41 AM
just finished transferring the Charlie Sheen bag of powdered sugar into 2 5gal buckets.............

Sweeeet!

- - - Updated - - -

Uzi mags on your 9MM AR?

izzyscout21
07-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Sweeeet!

- - - Updated - - -

Uzi mags on your 9MM AR?

yes. Fairly common actually. The Colt Commando SMG was on of the first, it uses modded Uzi mags as well.

Taz Baby
07-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Just put up 2 jars of bread n butter pickles, 2 jars of sweet relish, 2 jars of cajen pickles, and jars of dill spears.

bacpacker
07-24-2012, 10:46 PM
The past week we've put up 16 jars of tomatos, and 6 jars of pickled banana peppers. I also did a front brake job, including new calipers, and one CV axle to my DD.

ak474u
07-25-2012, 12:32 AM
New exhaust manifolds on my xterra, one was cracked for a while, but finally took a dump... Carbon monoxide poisoning ensued. Lol. Why am I so tired? Oh, it's because I'm dying... Time to fix the truck. Sold my pm9 this weekend, lots of new goodies, and probably an AR lower on the way shortly. Got lots of spare parts to order, and a sling, and mag pouches, and, and, and.

msomnipotent
07-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Bought two shopping carts worth of groceries. I don't know why cashiers get grouchy when one person buys a lot of food. It isn't like I cleaned out the store. Found a decent deal on 2012 silver dollars so I bought three. Seller just bumped up the price by several dollars. Got the bikes out of the basement and repaired. Mine was fine but my husband's needed a lot of work. Bought a lot of extra school supplies and tutoring books for this year and next for my daughter. And my daughter finally learned how to swim! Yeah!

Sniper-T
07-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Taz, you got the recipes for the cajun and dill pickles? My cukes are going to be going nuts shortly...

izzyscout21
07-26-2012, 03:32 PM
And my daughter finally learned how to swim! Yeah!

One would think they were having a stroke when you throw them in the pool...............silly kids.................

Sniper-T
07-26-2012, 03:34 PM
pool? wow you guys sure baby your kids down there. My dad chucked me out of the boat out fishing and told me to keep up as he trolled away
;)

Taz Baby
07-26-2012, 05:57 PM
sniper go to cooks.com. Great site. For the cajun, I bought a can of cajun boiled peanut, drain the juice, ate peanuts, boiled the juice, added hot Melinda sauce, cajun seasoning. Then poured that of the jars of cukes, seal and done.

ak474u
07-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Picking up a CMMG complete lower tomorrow with 6 pos stock. Gonna take a while, but gonna build up a new AR. I've got several projects to complete so this one is gonna be a while. Planning for a CMMG .22 conversion, and some other gear as well. When I get the ak project done, I'm gonna post a WTB thread for ar goodies.

Echo2
07-27-2012, 01:48 AM
inventory....

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8163/7653649294_e2ae6798bd_z.jpg

Echo2
07-27-2012, 01:56 AM
and built a few of these....

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8007/7653660706_bd6dd124f0.jpg

bacpacker
07-27-2012, 02:20 AM
Can I borrow a light sir?

Nice grill, I really like that.

ak474u
07-27-2012, 04:51 AM
inventory....

Now, there's a guy who doesn't like darkness.

Echo2
07-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Now, there's a guy who doesn't like darkness.

Are you kidding....I love the darkness.....I just really like being able to turn the darkness off when necessary.....:)

Stormfeather
07-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Man, I hope you invested in rechargable batteries. . .

great lights setup, Just the other day I finally got my dreamlight. I picked up a Surefire HellFighter off of ebay for $485! Screaming deal if there ever was one! Now all I have to do is wait for it to show up!

Sniper-T
07-27-2012, 05:10 PM
^ are you freakin' kidding?

This:
http://www.surefire.com/heavygunweaponlights.html ????

holy crap!

Stormfeather
07-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Thats the one, although they are significantly cheaper nowadays on the market. The reason being, alot of these are going thru DRMO now and hitting the civilian market. I got mine last week off of ebay of all places! The average price on them was anywhere from 500-700 dollars. The downside, is some folks are still trying to charge 1500-2000 for them. Yea I know what the military paid for them, we all also know that the military pays out the ass for everything.

msomnipotent
07-27-2012, 06:18 PM
One would think they were having a stroke when you throw them in the pool...............silly kids.................

One would also think that 2 years of lessons at the YMCA would have taught her how to swim, but no! I don't know how someone can actually fail a class at the Y, but she did it a few times. I found a new place that is a little out of the way for us, but she has had 6 weeks of lessons and now swims better than I do. Still not saying much. I have the look and feel of a wounded walrus while trying to not drown.

AlphaTea
07-27-2012, 08:22 PM
inventory....

I want to see your battery stash now...

bacpacker
07-30-2012, 01:43 AM
We had a good week, actually just the past couple of days. Yesterday we found 9 Buff Orpingtons hens on Craigslist. They were probably hatched around March, so they should start laying in the next month or two. They look great and did well today when we let them out of the coop. Our other hens pretty much stayed away from them. I hope they get use to each other pretty quick.

Today I went and picked up 7 open top 55 gallon drums, with lids and rings. These will be used for chicken feed, some corn and wheat I have, and probably 1-2 for dry goods. Someone posted a while back about storing TP in barrels. The idea struck a chord with me. 1 of the barrels will be used for that.

We also canned 5 more jars or tomatos, 9 jars of pickles and froze 2 gallons of corn and another gallon of grapes (which will become jelly once the whole crop is in.

Stormfeather
07-31-2012, 03:45 PM
I took MsOmnipotent and her hubby shooting yesterday afternoon! Does that count? Taught her & hubby basics of firearms safety and intro'ed her and hubby to a bunch of styles of guns! (then let them shoot them!)

ak474u
07-31-2012, 11:48 PM
Finished my 922r job on my numbers matching Romanian AK, she used to be a sporter 1997 import with thumb hole, and now she has: CNC Warrior Rear hinge block, and Right folding stock with QD sling loops on stock and hinge block, hogue overmolded pistol grip and hand guards, tapco g2 trigger group, and a CNC Warrior mini PKM flash suppressor. Soon, I'll throw some techsights on it so it matches the other ak, and is more similar to an ar in sight picture. I'm also waiting on techsights for my 10-22.

CMMG complete lower with 6 pos stock, 9 Labelle US GI 30 rounders with magpul followers, and 4 OD green magpul 30's (my plate carrier has gotta match right?)

JustAPrepper
08-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Got the dehydrator back in action the past couple of days. Cleaning out all fruits and veggies that are taking up space in the freezers to make way for more meats before the prices go up due to the drought.

ladyhk13
08-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Canned meats (Thanks to JustA's teachings!!! She has no idea the monster she has created), and pickled yellow squash. It is supposed to come out tasting like bread and butter pickles, yummy!
I'm with JustA...gonna clear out the freezer and can that meat so I can go and buy new stuff. Hope dh doesn't read this post.

msomnipotent
08-01-2012, 01:51 AM
I took MsOmnipotent and her hubby shooting yesterday afternoon! Does that count? Taught her & hubby basics of firearms safety and intro'ed her and hubby to a bunch of styles of guns! (then let them shoot them!)

That was freakin' AWESOME!!!! I'm still sore and bruised from the shot gun! And the first words out of my daughter's mouth was, "I shot a bunch of guns and Daddy has pictures."

Sniper-T
08-01-2012, 10:01 AM
I sorted and inventoried all my seed stock, list forthcoming...

izzyscout21
08-01-2012, 11:58 AM

That was freakin' AWESOME!!!! I'm still sore and bruised from the shot gun! And the first words out of my daughter's mouth was, "I shot a bunch of guns and Daddy has pictures."

Outstanding!

Is it just me, or does it seem like more and more of us are having opportunities to link up?

Stormfeather
08-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Outstanding!

Is it just me, or does it seem like more and more of us are having opportunities to link up?

I think possibly we are taking the chance and actually trying to link up or at least make an effort. I know Sniper-T should be passing thru my AO here soon, looking forward to that get together as well!

That. . . and I cant wait to link up with you bro, I get the feeling theres going to be gunfire, midgets and bail bondsmen all over the place!

Sniper-T
08-01-2012, 07:16 PM
lol.

That's what I was thinking for us next week...

;)

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-02-2012, 04:34 AM
Put "5" new tires on the wife's BOV............now that was fun.

Be safe..............the night is your friend.

JustAPrepper
08-03-2012, 08:38 PM
We SO SCORED this afternoon!!

I've been kind of itching for a new deep freeze for a while now. Like I posted earlier I've been cleaning out our small one of anything that can be dehydrated and using up incidentals like bread and buns that are taking up space because I want to load up on some meats before the prices really start to tick up. A couple hours ago I got online and started searching to see if I could find something in a reasonable size and price range for us. I found this one http://www.sears.com/kenmore-13-cu-ft-chest-freezer-1634/p-04616342000P?autoRedirect=true&sLevel=0&redirectType=SKIP_LEVEL and pretty much made up my mind that I *really* wanted it. Evolver wasn't over the top about the idea but he didn't come out and tell me "no".

Then I got the bright idea to check Craig's List just to see what was out there. I found a posting that is almost a month old. Evolver called and left a message. I was worried the thing had already been sold.

She called back a little bit ago. Here's the deal...the EXACT same model as the one I picked out, brand new, still in the box and still under original warranty. They're selling because they are getting divorced. Asking price...$250.00...Evolver offered $200.00 and she accepted.

We go tomorrow morning to pick it up. :cool:

I see a lot more cheap meat in our future. :D

bacpacker
08-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Fantastic score. Thats a great price and what you wanted. Can't beat it.

Taz Baby
08-05-2012, 02:22 AM
Hit a few yard sales today, got a few small items, then went to check out a BOV for me. 1996 Chevy blazer, 4x4, mud tires, in my favorite color teal blue, but it had high mileage 189,000 in really good shape but didn't like the mileage or the way it goes into 4 wheel drive. Push button. Was going to trade even on my car. So still looking for a BOV that I like. Chevy 4x4 truck.

bacpacker
08-05-2012, 02:34 AM
We hit SAMS up this week, got 50lb rice, 50 lb sugar, beans, salt, spices, peanut butter and a bunch of other stuff. Going to pick up some extra tarps tomorrow.

I also cleaned out the chicken coop this morning and fertilized the corn patch for next year.

Vodin
08-05-2012, 03:53 AM
Tween work, different income earning, servicing vehicle and digging I have been busy. The big project is still an ongoing grind. I hand dig a 4'x8'x5' trench for a pond. I am building walls in a 10'x10' area around the trench. I will then cut 2 55gallon drums length wise to create an ebb-and-flow aquaponic bed. I am down to the 4' mark in depth and about another week or 2 to go. And once the pond has cured I will place channel catfish in it to farm. With my research I believe my first attempt at catfish farming will get about 1 pound of catfish per every 5 gallons. So that will be about 260lbs of catfish before I start in on em. Already got the fry pond built.

After I get it built and up and running I will post pics.

(Side note anyone hear of grapes grown aquaponicly ((SP?)) but that would be an awesome wine possibility)

ak474u
08-05-2012, 04:40 AM
Bought a Plano tackle box with 5 slide out organizers, I'm setting it up as a toolbox for spare parts, and some of my gun tools. I have a large organizer box for each of my 3 most used rifles. Yugo M70, Romanian WUM 1, and my in-progress build CMMG AR. I've got all my spare parts in one place now, as well as my field level cleaning kit for everything. I went ahead and packed up my original FCGs for the AKs, just in case, as well as the springs, pins, etc that I've accumulated for them. The tackle box is good sized, but I'm planning to just take it along on range days as a repair kit. The box has smaller organizers in a side door that will fit my brushes, and cleaning jags as well as a small number of assorted patches and my .22 to 12ga adapters for larger brushes. One small organizer will be a pistol service kit as soon as I start accumulating tools and spares for my combat sized pistols but that'll be a while. I got a spare complete ak bolt this week from apex, and it is identical in shape size etc to my current ak bolts, but WILL NOT allow the bolts to return to battery when released, the carrier stops about 1/2 inch short while the bolt goes all the way forward. I'm not willing to fit the bolt, so I'm going to exchange it this week and hope the next one works so I'll have a quick swap option to extractor/FP replacement.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-05-2012, 04:44 AM
Picked up 20lbs of Bison rib-eyes (9) and a rack of short ribs, call it long term treats. Put in a new order, also our butcher is going to be slaughtering two more here in the near future if there any takers let us know and we'll get you a #. He has fresh Bison in the freezer now. Hung for 28 days.............yummy! Located between Franklin and Murfreesboro, TN. we're going to need a walk-in freezer.....................

Be safe..............the night is your friend.

GunnerMax
08-05-2012, 05:02 PM
I got a mint condition bayonet and sheath plus the leather accessories for my AKM, an Aimpoint PRO, and a new flash hider for the AKM. I also upgraded my accnt on Brownells and am enjoying the discounted price. I am making more rigs and deciding what I don't need

msomnipotent
08-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Just ordered 12 #10 cans of freeze dried chicken for $330, shipped. We came home from our vacation with a kitten, and I'm still not sure how that happened. Also not sure if we do in fact have a kitten and not a baby bobcat. The thing looks pretty wild. At least it will be a good mouser. As stormfeather stated, we finally shot some guns for the first time. Now my husband isn't so against them. We have been suffering through a bout of food fatigue, so I bought a lot of cans of "exotic" things like coconut milk and saurkraut; things we normally do not eat but will. I figure if we get this bored with food when it is plentiful, it will just get worse later.

JustAPrepper
08-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Evolver and I went shopping today to top off the new deep freeze. With what we already had and today's purchases it's getting pretty full!

27.5# chicken thighs
7.5# chicken wings
10# b/s chicken breast - plus grabbed the 11 pounds I had stuck in Single Guy Next Door's freezer
10# ground turkey
13.5# bone-in (assorted) chops
2 slabs spare ribs
4 packages Ballpark Beef dogs
6# Bacon
6# Jimmy Dean Sausage
8 pounds block cheese
2# lunchmeat

For the first time I found old fashioned Popcorn at BJ's today. 5 pound jugs for $8.99. I thought that was pretty expensive but I haven't had old fashioned popcorn since I was a kid so I have no idea what the going rate would be. At any rate, it was cheaper than the microwave stuff and it's only going to get more expensive so I grabbed two jugs.

Also grabbed a large bag of Dried/Pitted Dates and some canned tomato sauce for the pantry as well as a few other odds and ends.

Stormfeather
08-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Worked a lot of overtime. . . does that count?

slowz1k
08-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Worked a lot of overtime. . . does that count?

It does in my book.

I had an Echo2 moment last Friday. (That's when you're in the right place at the right time, and good stuff falls into your possession out of the blue for no cost or reason.)
A colleague put out an email that her husband was cleaning out the garage and had a Dyna-glo kerosene heater he wanted gone. I already have one, but thought a second could be a really good idea. "I'll take it" I replied quickly, hoping no one had beat me to it. She brought it in to the office yesterday. Looks brand new....AND..... came with two full 5 gallon "blue jugs" of kerosene!!!!!...... For free!!!! Yay me!:D

Vodin
08-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Finally setup my first Aquaponic bin. I made it from a food grade 55gal barrel, I cut off the top 1/3 of the barrel turned it over filled it with clay marbles and installed a bell siphon in it. I placed it on the corner of my small pond ~300 gallon. The water is pumped from the pond into the container and it will fill in about 15 min. Then the Bell Siphon activates and empties the container in 3 min. The goldfish hang under the drain spout when it empties.

We just planted the container with cantaloupe, tomato, jalapeno, oregano and chive cuttings that I was growing in a hydroponic bed.

Still digging on the main pond. Ground is rocky and clay packed. In my digging I have actually found couple pieces of petrified wood. Well going out when the weather cools down a bit for more digging.

What are your thoughts on this? Renting a rototiller to finish up the digging? Cant fit any small sized power equipment tween the fence and the house. But this is taking a long time...

Evolver
08-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Finally setup my first Aquaponic bin. I made it from a food grade 55gal barrel, I cut off the top 1/3 of the barrel turned it over filled it with clay marbles and installed a bell siphon in it. I placed it on the corner of my small pond ~300 gallon. The water is pumped from the pond into the container and it will fill in about 15 min. Then the Bell Siphon activates and empties the container in 3 min. The goldfish hang under the drain spout when it empties.

We just planted the container with cantaloupe, tomato, jalapeno, oregano and chive cuttings that I was growing in a hydroponic bed.

Still digging on the main pond. Ground is rocky and clay packed. In my digging I have actually found couple pieces of petrified wood. Well going out when the weather cools down a bit for more digging.

What are your thoughts on this? Renting a rototiller to finish up the digging? Cant fit any small sized power equipment tween the fence and the house. But this is taking a long time...

You might be better off renting a ditch witch. They are better at loosening hard and rocky dirt than tillers are. Home Depot rents then too.

Taz Baby
08-11-2012, 09:18 PM
hit yard sales today. Got a lot of good deals. Metal storage drums, med. Heavy duty plastic drums, audels complete set of carpentry books, chiltons aoto manuals early 70,s, bread crates. Restaurant style hard plastic plates, audels machinist 1951 Book, diesel manual ammo reloading manual and lots more for under $35

ak474u
08-12-2012, 12:54 AM
I spent the whole day making my son's bed into a pirate ship... Not sure this counts as prepping, or that it's seaworthy. Lol. If he doesn't start to sleep in his own bed, I'm gonna do something that triggers SHTF. So, maybe I was prepping for my sanity.

JustAPrepper
08-12-2012, 01:21 AM
I spent half the day pounding 82.5 pounds of sugar. :(

Evolver has been laid up with is back the past few days and I needed to get in the Doom Room and do some reorganization since we put the small deep freeze in there. Apparently we put 02 Absorbers in some of our very first bags of sugar...5, 16.5 bags to start. I was able to get them out of their buckets but they were solid, bucket shaped bricks. In order to get them flat enough to fit in the deep freeze I had to carefully, but forcefully pound them flat enough to fit in the freezer without busting the mylar. Thankfully I keep a rubber mallet in the Doom Room...it's what I use to pound lids back in place as I rotate through things. The remaining sugar was apparently packed without the 02's (thankfully!!) and was easily moved to the deep freeze. Then I measured out and mylared 45 pounds of flour and got it in the deep freeze and vac sealed 15 pounds of pasta. I'll probably mylar the pasta next weekend.

Taz Baby
08-12-2012, 01:26 AM
lol yes that does count in my book. How how is he? I have 2 boys and when they were around 3 to 5, I put a big box in the middle of their bedroom and made it the bed. They decorated it with what ever they wanted and slept in it. Of course they didn't start wanting to sleep with us until they were old enough to hear about the boogie monster from their cousin.

ak474u
08-12-2012, 02:22 AM
lol yes that does count in my book. How how is he? I have 2 boys and when they were around 3 to 5, I put a big box in the middle of their bedroom and made it the bed. They decorated it with what ever they wanted and slept in it. Of course they didn't start wanting to sleep with us until they were old enough to hear about the boogie monster from their cousin.

He's 2 1/2. Would it have freaked y'all out if I said he was 17? Lol

Sniper-T
08-13-2012, 10:06 AM
Awesome work everyone!

Aside from putting 50# of Salmon in my freezer, I bought a Presto 23 quart pressure canner, and an outdoor propane burner

msomnipotent
08-16-2012, 04:03 PM
He's 2 1/2. Would it have freaked y'all out if I said he was 17? Lol

My 7 year old still sneaks into bed with us and I am at my wit's end. She is getting too big to carry back to her room. Her feet drag on the ground when I have to carry her up the stairs. Between her, the hubs, the dog, and now the new kitten, there usually isn't enough room for me. I want my own bedroom!

Willie51
08-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks to Stormfeather, we just ordered a few buckets of freeze dry meals and veggies from Costco. Also, just got my NATO fuel cans in from CTD.

GunnerMax
08-16-2012, 08:47 PM
I am SLOWLY but surely stocking our buttpacks and BOBs. I got 2 small bottles of gold bond powder. Funds are low due to my post deployment 2k a month paycut. Going out Saturday to sell my extra tactical gear to local shops. Going out next week for 10 days of constant gunshoots, NVG gunshoots, and fun. I just learned that I can modify my M4 how I want, so I'm gonna put my Aimpoint to some use. So, I know its not the same platform as my AK, but it is training on a high end optic.

ak474u
08-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Picked up a Maxpedition hook and loop holster for my versipack to go in the zippered gun compartment, I've had a full holster in there for ages that had hook and loop on it, it was so bulky it cut down about 1/2 inch of cargo space from the main compartment, so I'm glad that's gone, it also drops a few extra ounces from the pack itself, so double bonus. I'm ordering an ATS War Belt for my 1st line gear tonight, it's time to upgrade from a pistol belt now that it does rifle mag duty, just not enough belt for 4 pistol mags, thigh mounted drop leg, and ak/ar mags with IFAK, and dump pouch. The pistol belt is gonna be the inner belt for the ATS. I wish they made it in OD, oh well. I've decided that my essential survival tools are too spread out in the BOB, so I want to find a reasonably priced but decent quality E&E type bag to go inside the BOB for essentials like fire, water, shelter prep, signaling, light, etc. that can be carried as a standalone bag. My Versipack is my EDC, and duplicates lots of the items, but I don't want to rely on that pack being with me when carrying the BOB. My GHB, while it is a grab and go, Everyday, everywhere vehicle carried item is 50-50 focused on a 12-24+\- hour walk home, or an active shooter type situation should I get trapped in the crossfire in public, there's ammo in the BOB, and magazines for a rifle, but I want to have a survival kit style organizer, carry bag for actual tasks and not shooting. I thought of just getting a large admin pouch, but I think a bag would work better. The Maxpedition Active Shooter bag, and the Condor E&E are both in the realm of what I'm looking for.

Grumpy Old Man
08-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Going up to Honeyville tomorrow

Taz Baby
08-18-2012, 01:06 AM
DH put up 80 lbs of rice, got propane and found some pawpaw trees on our property, picked the last of the cucumbers and now working on the corn and watermelons.

bacpacker
08-18-2012, 02:13 AM
I hope you have better luck out of your Papaws than we have. I've planted 4 and only 2 have made it.

I picked 18 cantaloupe tonight and will have 6 more by Sunday evening. Water melon are about ready to start on. Winter squash are really close as well.

Sniper-T
08-18-2012, 02:46 PM
what are you doing with all the canteloupe?

GunnerMax
08-18-2012, 04:43 PM
I started my food preps. I stowed away a gallon of water. Slow and steady, with minimul fuss from the wife.

Sniper-T
08-18-2012, 07:48 PM
I just picked up a 50 gallon gas tank at an auction sale. :)

Evolver
08-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Picked up another discarded 20lb propane tank so now we have a total of four and they are all full. :)

bacpacker
08-19-2012, 12:39 AM
what are you doing with all the canteloupe?

Eatin all we can stand. The rest, we are gonna attempt to dehydrate them. We've found them already dehydrated, but don't have a receipe. Anyone on here have one they would like to share? It is really good, almost like candy if it's done right.

Went to a gun show today for the first time in several months. I scored before I got in the door. There was a older gentleman in the ticket line in front of me that had a old shotgun and an old .22 rifle. I ask him about the .22, turns out it was his dads who had passed recently. It's a Marlin Model 75C. It in pretty decent shape. Got it for $60 so I don't feel like I hurt myself.

Later on after much looking I found a couple of AR upper's I liked. Right before I got thru everything the first time I ran across a guy that had a upper. Come to find out it was a Spikes Tactical complete upper. 5.56 16" chrome lined barrel with a 1 in 7 twist flattop. Got it for $300. The AR build just took a nice step up. I also got 6 more Pmags. Over all prices on most everything other than weapons seemed close to what they were a few months back. But the crowd was the largest I've seen at that show. And everyone was buying. Lots of couple buying medical supplies, ammo, ect. I was very glad to see that.

Taz Baby
08-19-2012, 12:53 AM
Apparently we have what looks like a small pawpaw orhrd growing wild. There are 6 trees altogether in a 200 ft area. 1 is bearing fruit.

scored a 100Gal plastic water trough for $20 At a yard sale, a big tripod for $5 and me some more winter steel toe boots for $3

Willie51
08-19-2012, 03:30 PM
The wife and I were at Sam's getting a prescription filled, and while waiting we browsed the book section and saw these books- Survival Handbook, Country Wisdom & Know How, Survival Wisdom and Know How, and Natural Healing and Know How. Needless to say we took home all four of them. :)

msomnipotent
08-19-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm still working on the basement. I just put a bunch of things on craigslist to trade for. I think I will need some luck getting what I want. Also trying to organize all of the long-term storage, but I'm not very good at it. I got a lot done 2 weeks ago that I didn't post. Bought 12 cans of FD chicken, a case of Bega cheese, a case of Yoder's bacon, paid for the 1/2 cow, added to the emergency fund and my daughter's fund, found a good deal on an old silver coin, and changed out the water in my aquatainers. I'm probably missing a lot, but I just can't think.

ak474u
08-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Found a good deal on a sheet 4x8 of kydex T that I'm gonna go pick up tomorrow in black. I don't need this much kydex, so I'm probably gonna be looking for someone in the DFW area to sell 1/2 a sheet to. Gonna try my hand at some holsters, even though i just ordered a raven concealment for my beretta. They dont make a holster for the 92a1, probably because Of the rail, so i'll be making one of those soon, dont need concealment really, just need a good holster for range duty, and because you need a holster for EVERY fighting pistol IMHO. I'm also thinking of figuring out which of my buddies has a chopsaw, and having one of my Ontario Machetes cut down a bit, it'll need a custom sheath too, so that'll be one of my first projects.

Grumpy Old Man
08-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Went to Honeyville and picked up 1/2 gallon of extra virgin coconut oil for $36, some raw honey, and some more ova easy crystallized eggs. Alsao checked grain and bean prices. ~$16/50 lbs for white corn; slightly less for beans and other grains. I may have to buy some more and bucketize it, for Justin Kase.

ladyhk13
08-21-2012, 02:44 AM
^Bucketize it....great word Grumps!!!! I like it. I think it should be the word of the month :)

Bought 4 cases of really old "Honey" Mason canning jars (quart size) for $5 each on the way back from FL. They didn't come with lids origionally but since I already have them it's not a problem. They are very cool and if I had more room to transport them I would have bought more since I don't know if I can get them for the same price later. I just bought quart jars today and they were over $10. arrrrgggggg.

JustAPrepper
08-21-2012, 11:58 PM
Eatin all we can stand. The rest, we are gonna attempt to dehydrate them. We've found them already dehydrated, but don't have a receipe. Anyone on here have one they would like to share? It is really good, almost like candy if it's done right.

Went to a gun show today for the first time in several months. I scored before I got in the door. There was a older gentleman in the ticket line in front of me that had a old shotgun and an old .22 rifle. I ask him about the .22, turns out it was his dads who had passed recently. It's a Marlin Model 75C. It in pretty decent shape. Got it for $60 so I don't feel like I hurt myself.

Later on after much looking I found a couple of AR upper's I liked. Right before I got thru everything the first time I ran across a guy that had a upper. Come to find out it was a Spikes Tactical complete upper. 5.56 16" chrome lined barrel with a 1 in 7 twist flattop. Got it for $300. The AR build just took a nice step up. I also got 6 more Pmags. Over all prices on most everything other than weapons seemed close to what they were a few months back. But the crowd was the largest I've seen at that show. And everyone was buying. Lots of couple buying medical supplies, ammo, ect. I was very glad to see that.

I think I have a recipe/method in my Mary Bell Dehydrator book. I'll check and post back in the food section.

bacpacker
08-22-2012, 12:21 AM
We just finished a round of them. I just used lemon juice on them before loading the dehydrator. They turned out OK, but don't have near the flavor of the store bought ones. I know I'm missing something. They are still tasty though.

Willie51
08-23-2012, 01:00 AM
Went to Gander Mtn today to spend my rewards dollars on some new waders for my fishing arsenal. So when TSHTF and there's no gas for the boat, or my fishing Kayak is not practical to use, then I can just walk out to where the trout and reds are. :cool:

They were also having a "buy one-get the second half off" sale on some of clothing which included their Guide Series trailhead convertible pants. After recently reading that many of you had these type pants in your BOB or GHB, I decided that Mrs. Willie and I needed some too. Oh, and we picked up two more rain suits in a bag on sale for $9.95 each. Very small bags that will pack easily in BOB/GHB but, still have ponchos too.

Thanks again folks....still gettin my money's worth.

msomnipotent
08-23-2012, 06:07 AM
We just finished a round of them. I just used lemon juice on them before loading the dehydrator. They turned out OK, but don't have near the flavor of the store bought ones. I know I'm missing something. They are still tasty though.

Maybe they are adding MSG?

- - - Updated - - -

I knew I forgot something. I ordered a case of canned butter. It has finally shipped. I have also been working on my bartering skills by putting some things on craigslist. I was not used to telling people no and holding my ground, but I am now! I really think the experience has been invaluable, especially considering that I was getting rid of stuff that was just cluttering up my basement.

slowz1k
08-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Went down to Pawleys Island SC for an extended weekend. It was one of those quick trips to the beach before school starts for my Daughter. Our chosen route took us through Fayetteville, NC, (Fort Bragg area) otherwise known as Fayettenam. We stopped at a few flea markets in that area. I found a pretty good deal on used VGC 30 round mags with the brown followers ($5.00 each) Got a "few" of them.
On a side note:
When I'm in a store, any store, I look for any items that could be used during or after an event. i.e. tools, food, weapons, shelter, etc....
I found that Wings/Waves/Pacific or any of the cheesey beachwear shops that are on every corner at every beach in SC, offer NOTHING that could be used in a post event situation. I know.... I know... They have a few lighters, and some cheap folding knives and maybe a throwing star or two behind the glass counter, but that's about it. I guess if I was freezing I could fashion a sleep system out of a few "Surrender The Booty" beach towels, but the cheesey beach shop won't make my top ten list of places to look to for supplies, that's for sure.
(Can you eat a hermit crab?)

Sniper-T
08-23-2012, 02:33 PM
^ good to know, but don't write them off completely. I worked in one of those surf shops in Daytona Beach, and while the public part of the shop was exactly as you specified, the back room was set up like a suite. kitchenette, bathroom, bed, etc.

Jus' sayin'

bacpacker
08-24-2012, 12:42 AM
I found that Wings/Waves/Pacific or any of the cheesey beachwear shops that are on every corner at every beach in SC, offer NOTHING that could be used in a post event situation. I know.... I know... They have a few lighters, and some cheap folding knives and maybe a throwing star or two behind the glass counter, but that's about it. I guess if I was freezing I could fashion a sleep system out of a few "Surrender The Booty" beach towels, but the cheesey beach shop won't make my top ten list of places to look to for supplies, that's for sure.
(Can you eat a hermit crab?)

Aw come on Slowz. You know the Big Johnson shirts would be a must have if SHTF. :)

ak474u
08-24-2012, 02:25 AM
Aw come on Slowz. You know the Big Johnson shirts would be a must have if SHTF. :)

Don't forget the thongs! You never know when you might need to hitch hike. Lol

izzyscout21
08-24-2012, 02:32 AM
Don't forget the thongs! You never know when you might need to hitch hike. Lol

Slingshot??

bacpacker
08-25-2012, 01:12 AM
Izzy, be sure you get one of the double barrel models!

Grumpy Old Man
08-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Just finished butchering a lamb and putting it in the freezer.

Foulball
08-25-2012, 06:46 PM
When is dinner Grumpy?

Grumpy Old Man
08-26-2012, 03:49 PM
I'll save a leg for our next desert trip Foulball.

Echo2
08-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Got 45pcs mixed 3 and 5 gallon food grade buckets with lids.

got a 4 ft tall stack of 1 gallon buckets with lids.

Have been promised 4 50lb sacks of dried popcorn.

Willie51
08-26-2012, 07:29 PM
I picked up two (Ipod size) solar charges with built in batteries and flashlight for the BOBs. Will be useful in charging Iphones, HT Ham radios, walkie talkies, etc.

carolinasurvivalist
08-27-2012, 01:03 AM
Put tritium sights on my glock and got a vacuum sealer.

bacpacker
08-27-2012, 01:16 AM
I got 5 2 gallon pickle buckets with lids from out favorite sub shop. We also dug our taters today. Better than the last two years, but still only got a bushel from them. I'm seriously considering doing a fall planting this year.

Taz Baby
08-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Packing to head back to the land of the living again.

Sniper-T
08-27-2012, 02:16 PM
I got all my Eaves troughs made up on the weekend. including some extra for the garage, my hunting shack, my garden shed, and two other buildings that I haven't built yet.

Echo2
08-28-2012, 08:24 PM
just filled up 6 NATO cans with fuel....will fill up 6 more tomorrow.

izzyscout21
08-29-2012, 12:30 AM
picked up a few of these:

http://www.modernoutpost.com/shop/1094-2186-large/nalgene-cantene-wide-3l-96oz.jpg (http://www.modernoutpost.com/shop/1094-2186-large/nalgene-cantene-wide-3l-96oz.jpg)

ak474u
09-06-2012, 05:08 AM
Finished my press, and molded my first kydex holster tonight. Pics to follow. I'm waiting for a raven concealment holster, but RCS doesn't build a holster for the 92a1, and since that's my main SA/DA full size, and nobody seems to have plans to make a holster for it, I did. Also picked up a 1/2 ton arbor press, and a black and decker toaster oven for holster making so my wife won't get mad about kydex stink in the house.

Echo2
09-06-2012, 10:40 AM
about 10,000 coffee filters.

Sniper-T
09-06-2012, 11:20 AM
I hope you got a pound or two of coffee to go through them!

Echo2
09-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Pre-filters for water....

Sniper-T
09-06-2012, 12:49 PM
That's ok... more coffee for me. Local store had the big plastic tubs of Folgers on for $7.00 this week. I got the max of 4 and so did the Wife.

that's $11. off!

ak474u
09-06-2012, 03:52 PM
That's ok... more coffee for me. Local store had the big plastic tubs of Folgers on for $7.00 this week. I got the max of 4 and so did the Wife.

that's $11. off!

Our local store had #10 cans of maxwell house for 4.99, no limit, we filled a 3 foot shelf 2 feet high, and 2 feet deep. Gotta have caffeine or S will HTF. Lol

Echo2
09-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I have 1 1/2 large totes filled with the vacuum sealed blocks of "whatever is on sale".....we generally use Folgers.....and cut it 3:1 with the oldest brick....really cant tell that big of difference.

The oldest we have used....was 3+ yrs old....took on a camping trip.....no one griped.

Willie51
09-06-2012, 09:56 PM
So I could keep up with ECHO (that's what I told the dear wife anyways), I just picked up two more lights from Sam's to add to the collection. Rocky aluminum LEDs with tactical switch and head, 200 lumen, black and green glow in the dark, waterproof down to 1 meter. :cool:

2die4
09-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Rotated my Mre stockpile.

slowz1k
09-07-2012, 01:36 PM
I picked up "a few" of these at Walmart the other night. The lamps were $7.00 each, the oil was $6.00 a bottle (64oz)

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/slowz1k/oillamp.jpg

We lose power often in the winter... a few of these in a room helps provide some heat as well.

GunnerMax
09-07-2012, 06:08 PM
I stowed away another 3 gallons of water and a pound of salt. I am buying more canned goods than we eat, and we are getting a nice surplus

ak474u
09-07-2012, 06:19 PM
5-2 1/2gallon food grade buckets from a friend that works in a bakery. 5 gallon has proven too large living in an apartment, and too heavy for wife, so I think this will work better. Rotating a few things this week as well.

Taz Baby
09-08-2012, 08:23 PM
gathering useful data

Willie51
09-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Used my 25% off "Friends and Family" coupon at Sports Authority and picked up a Mr. Heater Little Buddy for camping, emergencies, etc. Then went next door to Big Lots with the DW and picked up storage supply items like: no name medical supplies, hygiene items, case of Colgate toothpaste for $5, juices, 4 blocks of Bustello coffee, basmati rice, and plastic food containers.

Sniper-T
09-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Spent 1/2 a day yesterday working on the truck. got all my summer crap out, restocked my daily kits, and got my winter kit ready to go.

LUNCHBOX
09-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Got the cows back from slaughter. One for me and one for Kodiak, in the freezer and ready. Steak anyone? As always, picking up extra canned goods.

Sniper-T
09-10-2012, 02:18 PM
I'll take a baseball steak, rare!

I'll get the mushrooms going!

bacpacker
09-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Saturday I spent most of the day organizing a bunch of stuff in about 1/3 of the basement, including inventorying ammo and loading some mags, and some long term foods. I have a big plastic tool box with two wheels and a handle and started loading it as a bug out container. That evening we went out and I found a 20W solar panel and charge controller. Gonna start off testing it on one of my tractor batteries as a trickle charger. I also picked up one of the 10x10 Easy Up canopies in a bag for $50. Figured that would work well as a area to do outdoor canning, chicken slaughtering, etc.

Sunday, we got up and went to a 18th century Trade Faire. We got there just in time to see a reinactment of the battle that took place there. After that was over we went thru the trading area. I ended up getting a Flint and Steel. I had a hard time not getting a couple of handmade knives and tomahawks. I did get to pick the brains of a couple of guys who do blacksmithing. I was able to gain a little knowledge and some ideas on how to set up my own forge.

ladyhk13
09-11-2012, 03:12 AM
We found a couple in the next town over that are preppers and met them this weekend at a cafe and talked for 4 hours. Would have talked longer but the place was closing. I'm sure we'll get together again. Invited them to the site but he works full time and they are raising their 3 y/o grand daughter so between prepping/working/childcare they seem to stay very very busy but I hope that he at least will come and visit us here.

msomnipotent
09-11-2012, 04:34 AM
Still working on the basement. All the space I had cleared out is now refilled with junk because my husband took everything off of the shelves and put it all over the floor. I just organized the shelves, too. But the good news is that the stench in the basement was not from a rotting animal carcass. Someone left a package of soup bones on top of the minifridge when we were loading our cow into the freezers almost 2 weeks ago. I have also decided that we need our eyes checked because we both walked past it several times while looking for the cause in the past week. White fridge, white package. It blended in.

On the plus side, I found 2 Aquatainers that didn't have water in them yet, and a few things that I knew I had but didn't know where. Now I know where.

Still paying the bills off.

ak474u
09-11-2012, 05:12 AM
http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af53/ak474u/kydex%20projects/dfab833f0f8f09c3e3d0d9da1a6c6f43.jpgOrganizing my stuff, got a nice Plano brand "Sportsman's Chest" at bass pro last week, it's not quite a trunk, and a little heavier duty than the trunk style boxes they make. It hold my loaded up plate carrier, mine and wife's range gear bag, and my pistol belt/first line rig, my level IIa vest fits inside as well. Minus ammo, and a rifle or rifle(s) this is pretty much gonna be my range/training box, I can selectively grab the range bag, for pistol shooting range days, or I can grab the whole thing for when I actually get someone to go with me to the super cool tactical training facility my wife bought me a membership for. My shooting buddy that is an actual trainer is working in Mozambique until Oct. so I don't get to go do fun run and gun shooting much without him. I finished my first kydex holster for my 92a1, it's pretty good, the jury is still out on the cant I made it with, but I can definitely conceal it if I need to, draw and fire exercises are in the near future for that one to make sure I'm happy with it. I made a beretta 21a kydex IWB the other day, and it ended up not having quite enough shield for IWB carry, the safety bites me, so I'll be screwing that one under the dash in my truck and making a new one.

This week: rotate more food, load newly acquired 2 1/2 gallon buckets, shoot, more ammo, test new holster(s), re-sort and re-pack GHB, finish baby boy's 3 day baby BOB/tactical diaper bag.

2die4
09-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Signed up for a motorcycle safety class. I won't be getting a bike (General's orders) but I figured knowing how to ride a bike would be useful in a SHTF scenario If I found a bike to use. Much more mobile than a vehicle.

Echo2
09-11-2012, 07:23 PM
192 rolls of TP.

AlphaTea
09-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Speaking of TP, I just sealed up a 55 gal drum of it...
I put in some range time in with the 9mm AR. I really do enjoy that Slide fire stock.

Sniper-T
09-12-2012, 06:55 PM
How are those barrels working out for ya Alpha?

AlphaTea
09-12-2012, 07:58 PM
How are those barrels working out for ya Alpha?

I really did like the idea of the straps hanging from the rafters, but I ended up going with the heavy duty metal shelves with 6 barrels of water (2 wide X 3 high}
My TP barrels are open top 55 gal plastic.
All are working out most excellently. I dont plan on moving the water barrels, but the TP is pretty easy to move. Probably not much over 125#/barrel
Here is the rack with the top two barrels on it.
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz71/AlphaTea/IMG_20120425_153122.jpg

The TP barrels just sit on the floor in fron of the water barrel rack.
Yea, I cleaned up most of the junk since the pic was taken.

ladyhk13
09-13-2012, 03:39 AM
Suckied 100 lbs of sugar (which came out to about 208 cups), 30 lbs of dog food and 30 lbs of cat food today. Everything hurts but due to circumstances going on I think I'll get going on all the chicken and pork I have frozen waiting to get canned.

LUNCHBOX
09-13-2012, 04:18 AM
Suckied 100 lbs of sugar (which came out to about 208 cups), 30 lbs of dog food and 30 lbs of cat food today. Everything hurts but due to circumstances going on I think I'll get going on all the chicken and pork I have frozen waiting to get canned.

It won't matter how much sugar you put on the dog/cat food....I bet it will still taste like crap. (LOL)

ladyhk13
09-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Maybe that depends upon how much blackberry vodka and wine you drank first and if you sat in a box?

Taz Baby
09-13-2012, 02:13 PM
It won't matter how much sugar you put on the dog/cat food....I bet it will still taste like crap. (LOL)

If she adds the chicken and pork with it, it will be a stew, might taste good then. That is if she drinks more blackberry vodka. Or maybe you have to drink that to make it taste good. Who knows?

AlphaTea
09-13-2012, 03:13 PM

I have noticed that when I vac pack sugar, I sometimes get a very large very hard sugar cube.
How did you overcome this?

AlphaTea
09-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Recently discovered that some things just dont store well.
A few years ago I replaced my worn out foodsaver and the new one came with some vacuum canisters.
I decided to try storing some of the mini saltine crackers that had just appeared on the WM shelves.
I took a couple of boxes and filled up the larger canister, added an O2 absorber and sucked the air out with the Foodsaver.
Last month Wifey asks if we were ever going to try them, so i opened the cannister which still had a good vacuum on it.
The crackers were still very crisp, not the least bit stale.
However, they tasted and smelled un-appealing. Kind of like an old gym bag smells.
Not much luck with peanuts long term. The oil in them seems to putrify.
Peanut butter seems to be ok even way past the date on the jar.
I seem to remember a large can of peanut butter back in my Navy days...it was in the mid 1980's and we came across a rectangular can that was probably 18" tall X 10D X 10W. The date on it was 1965. So it was at least 20 years old. It had about 3" of oil on the top, but once we mixed it back in the stuff was fine.

2die4
09-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Found a water to bleach ratio from clorox on how to boil water and how much bleach to use if boiling is not an option. Created a few laminated cards with the ratios and it's Going into the BOBs and GHBs.

If anybody wants I can create a few more and I can send some your way. Just pm me.

Sniper-T
09-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Can you post them up? then we all can just print them off.

ak474u
09-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Can you post the ratios they recommend? That's a pretty cool find.

bacpacker
09-14-2012, 03:59 PM
My thoughts to. That would super useful.

I worked on putting some pl-259 connectors on coax. And making a mast mount to put up a portable HF antenna I have. (Outbacker multi tap) I hope to have in fuctional by the end of the weekend. I also plan to remount my dual band rig and antenna in the truck.

Sniper-T
09-14-2012, 04:05 PM
I have noticed that when I vac pack sugar, I sometimes get a very large very hard sugar cube.

I found that all I have to do is drop it before I open it, and cube turns to powder pretty quick. Just don't get too crazy or you'll be sweeping! lol

I am wondering about utilizing rice. you know, the way you put it in a salt shaker??? I was thinking of opening a large bag of sugar, seperating it into ??? and adding some breathable bags of rice for a few days, suck out any residual moisture

???

2die4
09-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Here you go:

How to use Clorox Bleach for:

Emergency Water Purification

The following is the text from a full page ad by Clorox .

Boiling Is Best

Short of using a very high-quality water filter, this is the most reliable method for killing microbes and parasites. Bring water to a rolling boil and keep it simmering for at least several minutes. Add one minute of boiling to the initial 10 minutes for every 1,000 feet above sea level. Cover the pot to shorten boiling time and conserve fuel.

Liquid Clorox Bleach

In an emergency, think of this (one gallon of Regular Clorox Bleach) as 3,800 gallons of drinking water.

First let water stand until particles settle. Pour the clear water into an uncontaminated container and add Regular Clorox Bleach per the chart.* Mix well. Wait 30 min. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not, repeat dose. Wait 15 min. Sniff again. Keep an eyedropper taped to your emergency bottle of Clorox Bleach, since purifying small amounts of water requires only a few drops. See chart* suggestions for storage bottle replacement.
Don't pour purified water into contaminated containers. To sanitize water jugs first, see instructions** at right.

==============================
*Ratio of Clorox Bleach to Water for Purification

2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water

8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water

1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water

If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.

Mix 1 tablespoon Regular Clorox Bleach with one gallon of water. Always wash and rinse items first, then let each item soak in Clorox Bleach Sanitizing Solution for 2 minutes. Drain and air dry.

AlphaTea
09-14-2012, 11:56 PM
I found that all I have to do is drop it before I open it, and cube turns to powder pretty quick. Just don't get too crazy or you'll be sweeping! lol

I am wondering about utilizing rice. you know, the way you put it in a salt shaker??? I was thinking of opening a large bag of sugar, seperating it into ??? and adding some breathable bags of rice for a few days, suck out any residual moisture

???

Why not just add a desiccant pack or two? It would do a better job than rice.

Evolver
09-14-2012, 11:58 PM

It's best not to vac-seal or put in 02 absorbers when packing sugar. The best way to store it is by putting it in Mylar and bucketed or just in a bucket with a lid that has a O-ring in it or just Mylar. For sugar we use 2 gal size buckets and make 2 mylar bags out of one 6 gal mylar bag by using the iron and 1''x2'' on edge method to make the seal after purging out all the air that you can.

After time it still hardens some but if it's bagged you can take a rubber mallet or a rolling pin to it and turn it back into granules quite easily before opening.

AlphaTea
09-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Well dont that beat all.
Some problems are better off if you dont over-analyze them

Grumpy Old Man
09-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Vacuum sealed and froze 5 yellowtails for the grill.

Echo2
09-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Can you post them up? then we all can just print them off.

this....

mitunnelrat
09-17-2012, 08:50 PM
I got more active again in the past week with "functional fitness", you might say...

Stacking 4 cords of ash (weighs between 2,600 and 3,200 pounds a cord) will do that for ya.

We'll have that doubled (dad splits, I stack) by the end of next week, and that's before I factor in the 6 ash trees we've yet to drop... Or the two at the neighbors... And the 4 down the road... Or the several poplar trees across the street...

Its a lot of work, but I'll be happy with the supply we have on hand, so I'm not complaining.

bacpacker
09-18-2012, 01:05 AM
I picked 46 watermelons yesterday. Still got about 10 or so to go. Also got about 10 butternut, 3 acorn, and 1 spaghetti squash. Damn bugs and dry weather when they were making took a toll on the squash.

Evolver
09-18-2012, 01:19 AM
Nice Haul!!! ^^^

bacpacker
09-18-2012, 01:21 AM
I've been pleased with the melons and cantaloupe this year. They did much better than anything but the wheat. And damn they taste good.

LUNCHBOX
09-18-2012, 03:49 AM
^^^^Wouldn't mind seeing a nice watermelon at the meet....

ak474u
09-18-2012, 04:55 AM
Bulk packs of .22 golden bullets 550 packs, and some 124gr fmj 9mm. Finished bucketing up my vac sealed food that was previously in tubs. More canned goods.

bacpacker
09-18-2012, 09:38 AM
LB I have a feeling you just might. ;)

Sniper-T
09-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Holy Crap BP!!! whatcha gonna do with that many watermelons?

Set up some 5 foot slingshots and use them to defend your place?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_kZMpChNYU

Careful now!

I put up 3 pounds of butter, and 8 pounds of cheese

bacpacker
09-18-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm gonna put up a sign at work and see if I can sell some. I like the catapult idea. But my all time favorite would be to do a Gallagher to a group. I will try and locate a video of that.

Sniper-T
09-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPrYulad8W4

msomnipotent
09-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Still on track with my plans, despite a few setbacks. I paid off the credit card with the highest balance and interest rate, which leaves one more card at zero percent financing and the personal loans. Still cleaning out the basement and using the cash for prep things. Still working on the bartering skills. I have grown a back bone! I said no to several trades that really were not in my best interests even though they gave me a bunch of sob stories. I found someone who is selling firewood for less than 1/2 of what I had been paying, so I am stocking up this week end.

Echo2
09-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Traded an old side by side I never used.....for 450+ ft of 8/3 cable and 4 sets of Hubble 300amp M/F plugs NIB....I think I made out pretty fair....:)

Cable on spool BTW...

izzyscout21
09-26-2012, 11:15 PM
So, I convinced my wife that the mice are eating the stuff in the barn......and the preps are getting wet and mildewed in the bunker......
I cleaned out the back bedroom and cleaned it up. Started putting prep equipment into duffel bags and flyer's kit bags to grab and go.

Good news: I can see the floor now
Bad new: I can see the floor now........that old shag carpet has got to go........

prepguide
09-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Doing a major cleanup and reorganization of the barn, have the tractor in there right now doing a full fluid and filter change plus a lube job, did a total food inventory of the cellar today as well and we got all our wheat planted and it just Wednesday, crap no wonder I'm tired LOL. Stay safe

Sniper-T
09-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Izzy, see if you can snag some old pallets around town, put them down, and pile your stuff on top. Buys you a few inches of clearance between your stuff and the damp. Throw a bunch of mothballs and warfarin underneath, and you should be vermin free!

ladyhk13
09-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Started planting my garlic finally. I had to put it in pots since I don't know if we'll be here next year. Need more pots.............................................. ............have over 300 cloves this year, started with 88 last year.

Sniper-T
09-27-2012, 10:46 AM
^ that's a lot of freakin garlic! You do know that it has no effect on Zombies right?? Or are you guys prepping for the Vampire invasion down there?