PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to prep this week?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Domeguy
08-03-2013, 03:26 PM
A dab will numb your whole mouth for a couple minutes....it will stop the heart of a squirrel...:).

Do them both at the same time and keep your eyes closed, then you can make yourself believe you are eating filet mignon. If you can't taste thedifference, you'll never know the difference.

Echo2
08-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Sent 300 rds of 9mm and 250 rds of 22lr down range.....was given 400+ rds 9mm for teaching class....

All 22lr rds were suppressed....:)

FL-Jeeper
08-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Inventoried & rotated canned storage.

Contemplated revising/scrapping bug-in/bug-out plans.

Echo2
08-04-2013, 12:35 AM
I bought a parts watch to get a bezel ....it showed up today.

I took it apart and was going to start stripping parts....when I noticed it had a bit of corrosion on the rear contact....it was time to clean...

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/coreapart_zpsd86c7c16.jpg

Pulled it apart as best I could and used some contact cleaner on it...q-tips and the like....and low and behold....

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/corecollection_zps0cdcab05.jpg

I guess now I need another parts watch

ladyhk13
08-05-2013, 04:54 AM
Picked up a hand crank juicer made in the 1800's and a veggie slicer from 1901. Both cast iron that you clamp onto a table. Totally awesome!

bacpacker
08-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Bartered a bushel of corn for a bushel of tomatos. Picked about 3 bushel of corn and will be putting 2 of them up. Canned a dozen jars of tomatos. Have enough left to do another 6-10 once they ripen.
Have put up 2-3 gallons of blueberries and still have 2-3 weeks production left on them.

prepguide
08-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Overall been a productive week. We had a multi trunk tree about 60 foot in height come down earlier this year and as of this evening there is significantly less of it that needs taken down. I'm cutting it proper lengths for the wood stove as I go to save some labor on the other end. This wood is planned for use next year so stacking it to allow a good year of curing. Have an LDS cannery trip tomorrow with several members of the local prepper group I am with. Also got some equipment worked on and ground worked which turned out to be great timing as we received over three inches of rain this week. On Sunday afternoon I am meeting with some local preppers (not part of our prepping group) to get them introduced to each other and to discuss prepping.
Also started in on the logistics planning for our upcoming fall campout with the regional team (different group than the local one) that I am Team Leader of. Getting the workshops planned, menu is done and overall schedule for the four day event is drafted. Overall a pretty decent week. I can't seem to figure out why I'm tired LOL

Sniper-T
08-11-2013, 06:31 PM
just finished canning 6 jars of regular dill pickles, and 6 jars of sliced dill sandwich pickles.
got 3 jars of beet pickles on the go right now!

Katrina
08-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Picked up more tp and paper towels but haven't done much over last couple of months.

infamous1
08-12-2013, 09:35 PM
picked up a nice little lantern that uses the little tea candles and 100 candles, hey wifey drug me to IKEA so i had to make the best of it haha

Stormfeather
08-12-2013, 10:20 PM
A dab will numb your whole mouth for a couple minutes....it will stop the heart of a squirrel...:).

I love learning new things! This is awesome!

ak474u
08-13-2013, 02:49 AM
Lesson learned.

Wife called me today to tell me her ac was not blowing cold, and was cutting out frequently on the way home from work (103* here today). When she got home, I noticed the serpentine belt was in good order, so not the belt. The blower wouldn't kick on at all, so.... 5 minutes on YouTube, and I found a model specific video for her car with the same issue. 5 minutes after that, I had a slightly melted fan motor resistor in my hand and was on the way to the auto parts store. The car isn't new, and has been pretty well maintained, but little things get ignored due to our schedules. This was caused by a clogged, disgusting cabin filter that had starved the heat sinks on the resistor from airflow. So, lesson learned, don't neglect anything. I was able to fix it quickly, but what if the parts store is a smoking pile of ashes?

Katrina
08-14-2013, 12:30 AM
You are lucky.Went to Atlanta last month to visit son and grandkids(his month) before I had to return to drs for work clearance. My air conked out, son1 got his mechanic to look at it, thought freon needed to be charged up. No had to replace whole compressor due to small part clogging that couldn't be replaced. It was welded to the compressor, a manufacturer design flaw. At least his mechanic was able to get us back on road the day we brought car in.

izzyscout21
08-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Finally!! My chickens started layin'.

omelets for breakfast!

ladyhk13
08-15-2013, 12:41 AM
Finally!! My chickens started layin'.

omelets for breakfast!

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I want chickens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pls talk to your buddy! I'll love ya forever and feed you every time you come down.....pls!

ladyhk13
08-15-2013, 12:54 AM
Picked the ripe hot banana peppers and canned them. Added a chinese pepper in each jar for an added kick!

ak474u
08-15-2013, 01:12 AM
I did a jar of hot vinegar pickled jalapeƱos last week... Didn't have a lot of peppers left after a salsa project, but I did what my grand dad used to do just to see how they turn out. Boil vinegar, pickling salt, black pepper corns, pour into 3/4 full jar, wait 3 weeks.

bacpacker
08-15-2013, 01:13 AM
We picked 5 gallons of Concord grapes Monday. The wife got 3 quarts of juice off them today. We still have about 1/4 of the row to pick. And will get another picking from them in another week or two. Man the hose smelled good this evening when I got home. Gonna make jelly when we get the rest picked and processed. I also picked up 4 48'x16' hog panels that I'm gonna use to make arbors for our grapes this fall/winter. I just need to get some 8' fence post and some 2x4 and 4x4 to build the frame with.
Okra is coming in big time. The wife picked and put up 3 quarts on Monday and got another 2 quarts today. We are starting to wind down on Blueberries and are just eating on them now.

mitunnelrat
08-15-2013, 05:26 AM
ugh... car repairs. I got lucky last week with that. I had a coolant hose blow on my way home from work, and got lucky it didn't do any major damage, especially with overheating three times trying to get it home. It turned out somebody had done some work on it prior to be buying the car and never clamped it down, but we couldn't find it until after I could get the radiator cap off and refill the coolant (was being a pita for some reason.) A 5 minute, no cost fix beyond needing to recharge my coolant before winter.

This week I started working on a mod to my drop leg holster to add a QD buckle. I just need to sew a strap in a loop on one end and that'll be done.

The garden is a major part of my life now. We just stuffed 30 peppers picked from it on Monday, and used tomatoe's/ sauce from last year! Yay!

My next biggest endeavor is getting back into college. I'll be able to get an associate's degree at or near the same time I get all my consumer debt paid off, and it'll open a world of opportunity for me. Gotta do it too, I think. Detroit's still sinking and my job may not last much longer. Means I'm already looking for another job to fall back on too. I'll work it part time for extra income until/ unless my main job goes. I'm struggling to find ways to stay awake and occupied on my off nights, working is a good way to do that! lol

Lots to do. Not enough time or money to do it!

ladyhk13
08-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Been missing ya MTR...thought ya forgot about us. Still waiting for you to come on down buddy! Hurry up and get edumacated already :)

Metrocruiser
08-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Hello everyone,
We have just begun to learn fishing for salmon with plans of canning. My wife has read a little on the subject but does anyone have any helpful do's and dont's? Heading out this afternoon for our 2nd attempt. Yesterday I chose the wrong spot but scoured around afterwards and found a flourishing spot where I am confident we will hit the limit for takehome payday :)

Grumpy Old Man
08-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Can in olive oil, i.e use it instead of water to cover the fish chunks-this will help retain the Omega 3s. At least it does in tuna, and the meat doesn't turn into mush.
Also Consult Mother Earth at Mrs Survival (A close personal friend)

4suchatimeasthis
08-15-2013, 09:44 PM
The pears and apples are starting to ripen, so I spent a good part of the day picking (and dodging bees), washing, peeling, dicing and freezing them. I won't get around to actually canning anything till after my finals are over, next week. Good timing, eh? Well played, Mother Nature, well played....

mitunnelrat
08-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Been missing ya MTR...thought ya forgot about us. Still waiting for you to come on down buddy! Hurry up and get edumacated already :)

The garden and a new schedule at work have been taking up a lot of time, and I haven't had a wifi connection at work for months. I'm trying to get back on here more often at night though. and yeah. I'm ready to get down there again. I wish I could est. a time for a visit, but if I take any time off right now I could screw myself royally. Detroit's consulting company is looking at eliminating my job site, and they're evaluating how much overtime we generate... Boo!

On a much brighter note, I got my back pay today! I'm quite a bit closer to my goals now :D

izzyscout21
08-19-2013, 03:18 AM
Passed my HAM radio exam.

woot woot!!

Domeguy
08-19-2013, 04:16 AM
Passed my HAM radio exam.

woot woot!!

I am proud to announce I was 33% of the group that took the test, (along with izzyscout & Brownwater Riverrat), and am even prouder to say I was 33% of the group of 3 that didn't pass. Congratulations guys, you studied hard and earned.

izzyscout21
08-19-2013, 04:37 AM
I am proud to announce I was 33% of the group that took the test, (along with izzyscout & Brownwater Riverrat), and am even prouder to say I was 33% of the group of 3 that didn't pass. Congratulations guys, you studied hard and earned.

Dome, you're all right. I think we'll keep you:cool:.

at least you tried. That says a lot. You'll get it next time!

ladyhk13
08-19-2013, 05:00 AM
I put the 2nd batch of apple pie shots into jars (more than 2 cases worth), canned a couple jars of Serrano peppers, and made apple sauce.

Domeguy
08-19-2013, 08:37 AM
With the help of izzy and BWRR, I purchased a pair of Yaesu radios at a very good price. Thanks guys

izzyscout21
08-19-2013, 07:00 PM
I put the 2nd batch of apple pie shots into jars (more than 2 cases worth), canned a couple jars of Serrano peppers, and made apple sauce.

That stuff is wicked good! Thanks for the sample.:o

ElevenBravo
08-19-2013, 08:01 PM
I am in process of researching which AK to buy...

Ammo pack a mean punch and is dirt cheap (compared to 5.56....)

EB

ladyhk13
08-19-2013, 10:39 PM
That stuff is wicked good! Thanks for the sample.:o

You are welcome...just did the second phase of the blackberry ones....interesting. Not sure which recipe you'll like. One is much thicker than the other. Think they will age nicely.

Fidel MD
08-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Today was a PM day on the daily drivers - filter and oil change, air filter change, tire rotation, check things that should be tight are, and things that shouldn't aren't, check that the other fluids are GTG. Since it's getting on towards colder seasons, I filled up the windshield washers with the cold weather stuff.

They also got a cleaning and wax.

cwconnertx
08-20-2013, 12:15 AM
I am in process of researching which AK to buy...

Ammo pack a mean punch and is dirt cheap (compared to 5.56....)

EB

This may not be the place, but I really like the sig556R for a 7.62x39 rifle. When it came out originally in 5.56 I think people thought it was an AR variant. But the Sig 550 series is really an AK type system, but more refined and accurate.

Back to the message of this thread, I spent the day organizing.. nothing sexy, but necessary

Sniper-T
08-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Canning, pickling, freezing, dehydrating... the gardens are bountiful!!

prepguide
08-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Was down in Texas all week, meeting with members from different prep groups and did some work for one of my regular clients. Checked up on the daughter of a friend who is starting college in Fort Worth. Picked up a couple of boxes of #4 buckshot 12 gauge for a really good price so all in all a good week.

ElevenBravo
08-23-2013, 01:16 AM
CWConn, the Sig is way outside my budget, none the less you recommendation is honestly appreciated.

This week: Today, I sit the daughter down... and she was genuinely interested...
I broke down the SKS and discussed the basic operations of the weapon... The free floating pin, slam fire, gas rod, bolt and bolt carrier, ammo, proper operation, etc.. Broke the weapon down and put it back together... and did a functions check.

PSHTF, the SKS is maybe HER primary weapon, depending on what I have at the time.... Shes a smart cookie.

Later, the XD and the AR... shes done them before but we will revisit the class until I get my dirt nap!

EB

Sniper-T
08-23-2013, 01:42 AM
just put up another 9 qt's and 7 pts of pickles.

pop pop pop

ladyhk13
08-23-2013, 01:47 AM
CWConn, the Sig is way outside my budget, none the less you recommendation is honestly appreciated.

This week: Today, I sit the daughter down... and she was genuinely interested...
I broke down the SKS and discussed the basic operations of the weapon... The free floating pin, slam fire, gas rod, bolt and bolt carrier, ammo, proper operation, etc.. Broke the weapon down and put it back together... and did a functions check.

PSHTF, the SKS is maybe HER primary weapon, depending on what I have at the time.... Shes a smart cookie.

Later, the XD and the AR... shes done them before but we will revisit the class until I get my dirt nap!

EB

My main rifle is the SKS and I love it. BWRR created me the best cheek rest out of the leather he cut off of my chaps. Totally awesome. Who knew a man could sew like that? I even have pics to prove he did it with his own 2 hands! He is so talented. Great gun for a woman for sure...I can shoot 1 1/4" group at 100 yards so I think that's pretty good (at least he tells me it is so I have to believe him) and it doesn't rip my shoulder off.

bacpacker
08-23-2013, 01:52 AM
We've put up at least 15 pints of grape jelly and have at least one more batch to go. putting up 3-5 quarts of Okra a week right now. Got my first watermelon of the season.
Cleaned off the corn patch and got my large garden area ready to work up and prep for a fall cover crop. Gonna plant some onions, beets, carrots, & parsnips for our winter garden. May put out some cabbage and other greens as well.
Have been working on some maintenance items on our camper(BOV trailer). Gathering materials for building a new grape arbor this winter, repairing my double bottom plow, which will be my first shot at a rough blacksmithing job. More on that later. Rotated my Deseil fuel and have got about a third of my gas rotated with 100% gas with stabil..
Shit that makes me tired just thinking about all that crap. :)

Sniper-T
08-23-2013, 02:11 AM
hey BP, do you guys have 'Seafoam' down there? 10 billion times better than Stabil IMHO. check it out!

ak474u
08-23-2013, 02:25 AM
hey BP, do you guys have 'Seafoam' down there? 10 billion times better than Stabil IMHO. check it out!

We have sea foam here. Didn't know it could be used for stabilizer, but I've used it as a fuel additive for cleaning up the injectors. I've also added to the crank case, and driven around for an hour, then went for an oil change, you shoulda seen the crap that came out with the used oil.

Sniper-T
08-23-2013, 02:39 AM
read the label... works to stabilize too.

I just finished a two year test. I filled 8 Jerry cans with gas (regular unleaded), and treaed them all with seafoam. I opened one every three months, and used it in whatever needed it (lawn mower, chainsaw, quad, weedwhacker, etc). the last can I just opened about a month ago, and finished in my quad last week, zero issues.

I wish I would have done a nineth can untreated, and maybe a tenth with stabil to open after the two years, but I didn't think of it. I truly wish I knew about this stuff as a fledgling product, as I would've mortaged my soul for shares! Seriously!

bacpacker
09-08-2013, 02:27 AM
T I will try and find the Seafoam. Didn't know anything about it.

This week has been crazy at work (most likely will be all month) so i haven't had time to get much done. I was able to get one of my garden spots worked up and ready to sow a cover crop on. I also left three rows open. Today I planted some cabbage, parsnips, 3 kinds of carrots, 2 kinds of beets, and a row of onions. First real shot at a fall garden and I'm probably late getting it out, but who knows we may have a late fall this year.
I picked about a pint of blueberries today, which may be my last picking this year. Man are they good. The berries have done great this year, I think we started picking in either late May or early June and to get a decent amount in September I think is awesome. I planted several varieties hoping to spread out the harvest. Apparently that has worked out pretty good.

ak474u
09-08-2013, 03:00 AM
Today we planted, broccoli, Armenian cucumbers, lemon cucumbers, Bush beans, snap peas, carrots, more radishes, some kind of long purple beans that turn green when cooked, picked a few more small but tasty maters, planted cross vines, and a fire bush (they can't all be producing plants). Harvested some more of the hibiscus seed pods from the prettiest hibiscus we've ever seen. Red with a star in the center, and extremely heat tolerant.

Katrina
09-14-2013, 05:57 PM
We got a maters!!!and a half a dozen acorn squash so far off the plants.

bacpacker
09-14-2013, 06:24 PM
I picked butternut and spaghetti squash watermelons this week. I got a few onions and leeks to get yet and a few more melons.

Also spent quite a bit of time doing some repairs on the BOT (5th wheel) and some major cleaning. Mice and Ants. Nasty shit.

eagle326
09-14-2013, 06:55 PM
B.P.

Also spent quite a bit of time doing some repairs on the BOT (5th wheel) and some major cleaning. Mice and Ants. Nasty shit.

Napalm 'em :p

Sniper-T
09-14-2013, 08:24 PM
just keep on puttin up. Jam's and Jellies, Salsa's and tomatoes.

I LOVE harvest season!

:)

Grumpy Old Man
09-15-2013, 01:19 AM
I got a rechargeable dosimeter and a Radiation Alert Inspector and a Petromax lantern I'm going to rebuild.

ditchmedic
09-15-2013, 06:03 AM
Bought the usual extra supplies. Canned some salsa and jalapenos. Got some supplies to camo my AR after reading another thread here

Stormfeather
09-18-2013, 06:33 AM
Seafoam. . . great stuff! Been using it for years!

decided to check out some of those Kaito Solar/Dynamo radios I scored. . . turns out a couple of them are junk, the dynamo is jacked. Saved them for spare parts if I ever need them, but have to admit, I was a bit disappointed.

Fellow MAG-mate just got in another semi-load of wood for cutting. . .so, chainsaws, mauls, and manpower went to work. Got it half done, so got to finish it up this weekend.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/Strmfeathr/1238023_10201780789663170_1828909708_n1.jpg (http://s95.photobucket.com/user/Strmfeathr/media/1238023_10201780789663170_1828909708_n1.jpg.html)

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/Strmfeathr/1235301_10201780788703146_1730132949_n1.jpg (http://s95.photobucket.com/user/Strmfeathr/media/1235301_10201780788703146_1730132949_n1.jpg.html)

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/Strmfeathr/555376_10201780788983153_1466857829_n.jpg (http://s95.photobucket.com/user/Strmfeathr/media/555376_10201780788983153_1466857829_n.jpg.html)

Domeguy
09-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Purchased a Geiger counter a couple of weeks ago, got 3 Kaito radios, reloaded about 250 9mm rounds, shot about 250 9mm rounds, and right now I am getting ready to dehydrate 2 bushels of apples.

Sniper-T
09-18-2013, 11:22 PM
awesome looking load of wood Stormy. does he deliver just slightly to the North West of you?

Stormfeather
09-19-2013, 04:40 AM
awesome looking load of wood Stormy. does he deliver just slightly to the North West of you?

No idea to be honest, MAG-mate set this up a few years ago, he pays for the semi delivery, and the gas to run the equipment, and the guy gives him the wood for free. As far as details, Hes not telling, and Im not asking, all I do it run the splitter!

That Auntie
09-21-2013, 04:30 PM
This week, I joined a local pool with a friend and we are starting water aerobics for the winter. We both have spinal issues, and while we walk daily, with winter coming that will become less consistent. We are hoping to maintain if not improve our range of motion throughout the winter, so we're not starting over come Spring again.
I did manage to get some more canned goods that were on sale at a local market, combined with coupons - there were some really great deals.
I have been going through my small kitchen appliances and getting rid of duplicates - food processor, blender with food processor attachment, electric hand mixer, immersion blender with food processor attachment...and a counter kitchen aid type mixer. I'm keeping the immersion blender with it's attachments. That's it. The rest of the stuff is taking up space I could use otherwise. We also have one of those Farberware "magic bullet" type blender things - that we are also keeping, the kids use it daily.

ditchmedic
09-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Canned some spaghetti sauce and got a barrel vice for one of my gun projects.

Katrina
09-22-2013, 04:08 AM
DH is going to make some salsa as our Roma's have exploded Got six big acorn squash this year. ,he's also cleaned out most of the garden boxes and covered them with plastic. He's trying something different this year in hopes that next year he won't get weeds in the beds. We'll see how that goes and let y'all know.

ElevenBravo
09-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Shot the snot out the AK, daughter shot the most... Practiced the EB Combat Reload, a system I devised that is a deviation from what you typically see... Im building a video of it now. Maybe not faster, but it is a much more sure method. And its pretty fast too IMHO... Once I get to practice more Im sure speed will be better... however I at this time find it personally to be superior to the "traditional" AK mag change.

EB

ak474u
09-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Planted plum, peach, and fig trees today. They're good sized trees. The plum is 9' tall, and the peach is 10'. The fig is about 7' and is covered in figs. There will soon be a new house built behind us, and hopefully these will provide a little barrier between us and them, as well as fruit for possibly canning, and giving away. The neighborhood picnic was last week, and everybody that met us said... "Oh, you're the ones with the garden" The back of our lot slopes up hill, and is 100% visible from the street in front of our house, which isn't ideal for OPSEC, but its the best place we had to plant, so it is what it is.

ditchmedic
10-04-2013, 12:10 AM
Got a slicer and a vacuum sealer for free.

Also worked out a deal for $150 glock 22

ElevenBravo
10-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Put another Krink on lay a way and brought home a spam can today.

EB

Sniper-T
10-06-2013, 03:57 AM
made 30 gallons of chile. will freeze some, dehydrat some, and eat the rest

ditchmedic
10-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Its been a slow night at work. I continued reading up on raising rabbits all night. Found that tractor supply is pretty cheap on food. Found some local breeders. Got more ideas for a hutch.

Went back and forth on indoor vs outdoor. Decided of I do outdoor I can grow plants on top. Specifically dendelions.

Soon itll be tine to necropost in those old rabbit threads :D

mitunnelrat
10-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Well, lets see. Its spanned more than a week, but the gear train keeps on rolling. Due to some recent changes I'm going back to woodland pattern rather than coyote, so I've picked a few little things up to get a start on that.

I have an EOTech G33 magnifier and an S&W M&P Shield in 9mm in layaway, and I bought a pistol safe for my car since I'm visiting more (too many! lol) non-permissive environments in an urban area now, and refuse to remove my political and NRA decals from my car.

I have a Hawthorne tree that's just loaded with berries. I may try my hand at some jelly making. My field guides are showing its excellent for that and has some benefits to the cardiovascular system.

I'm getting straight A's in college, so I'm definitely on track there.

I got a gym membership and I'm getting back into that swing of things. I've only been there a few times, but I could already tell the difference in my energy levels. No visit today though, my wood boxes are calling to be filled, and will be enough of a workout in their own right.

Have I ever mentioned my new 100 yard range yet? We got that in a bit ago.

Scored some free med supplies from my ex. That was cool.

How about the QD mount I made for my drop leg holster, have I discussed that?

I only have one other word: Thermite.

Thank you, (I think) that is all! :D

ak474u
10-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Finally finished my AR, I missed the boat on getting my 5.56 bolt after Newtown, and wasn't gonna pay thru the nose for one back then. Also got all the MOE stuff that I was wanting, so now its fully magpul furniture. All I need now is a set of QD mounts for my sling, but its hard to find the rear QD in stock right now.

Domeguy
10-16-2013, 03:30 AM
I went to the local scrap metal/recycle center today to pick through some of the piles of junk to find a brake drum and some pipe to build a home made forge. I did get the brake drum (it was thrown in for free, along with a bucket full of stainless steel bolts, washers and wing nuts), but I got a lot of aluminum angle, flat bar, and thin plates to make a trailer for my bicycle. But the main purchase was a trailers that was parked in with the scrap. I thought it was the scrap yards trailer, but after checking, they said it was scraped by someone, and if I wanted it, it was for sale for .33 cents a lb. along with everything else. SOLD!http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3538/a6i3.jpg

bacpacker
10-16-2013, 02:29 PM
DG that is a sweet deal all the way around.

Stormfeather
10-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Looks like everyone is scoring great deals lately!

$150 glocks! Im very jealous! I bought a glock 26 frame off of GB for $150. added it to my G26 advantage arms upper, so now I have a G26 in .22 as well as a extra g26! Other than that, Zeroed HH-6's new Cmore tactical red dot, took a little longer than usual, adjustments arent marked, you just have to turn adjustments til its zeroed, so took longer with no clicks to work off of.

Domeguy
10-18-2013, 03:13 AM
How smooth is your Advantage Arms 22 upper on the G26. Mine seems a little stiff, like someone accidentally left it in the dryer too long.

ak474u
10-18-2013, 03:50 AM
Extra firing pins, bolt rebuild kit, extractors, springs etc for the AR. I have a dedicated toolbox for servicing my rifles. Also went ahead and mounted my pic rail on the AK so the QD light on the AR can be swapped back and forth.

ditchmedic
10-21-2013, 02:30 AM
Got a free rain barrel. I think it needs some paint?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1397362_10100400927180983_486144655_o.jpg

helomech
10-21-2013, 02:36 AM
Yes it needs paint.

ditchmedic
10-21-2013, 02:39 AM
Yes it needs paint.

I already started spraying it brown. Can't be mad about free, and I got all the hardware free too.

Stormfeather
10-21-2013, 07:56 AM
How smooth is your Advantage Arms 22 upper on the G26. Mine seems a little stiff, like someone accidentally left it in the dryer too long.

Yes, mines a little stiff as well, but ive not had any issues with it yet, so I cant complain too much!

NWPilgrim
10-26-2013, 02:15 AM
Finally added a generator to my battery/inverter bank. Got the Honda EU2000i so it will be small enough to take on larger group camps, and working tools away from electricity.

Sniper-T
10-27-2013, 01:53 PM
got a cord and a half of wood into the shed, going out today for some more.

:)

Grumpy Old Man
10-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Set the declination on my compasses this morning. Also posted a thread on it in Bushcraft.

Stormfeather
10-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Finally added a generator to my battery/inverter bank. Got the Honda EU2000i so it will be small enough to take on larger group camps, and working tools away from electricity.

You will truly love that generator! Once you get the funds, buy a second one and get the mating system for it! Those EU2000's have got to be the hardest working, quietest generators around! I got one myself, and I am still looking to score another one at some point! Its hard to get over that price point on them though, expensive as hell, but definitely worth it.

Sniper-T
10-28-2013, 10:42 PM
made 120 pounds of sausage for my buddy and I. pics to follow. drool!

Sniper-T
10-28-2013, 10:48 PM
also picked up more water barrels an jugs for my gardens!

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/garden/1008131448a_zpsd64a27e6.jpg (http://s605.photobucket.com/user/Sniper-T/media/garden/1008131448a_zpsd64a27e6.jpg.html)

Stormfeather
10-28-2013, 11:03 PM
OK, lots has been happening here at the Stormfeather House, so lets see if I can remember it all!

bought 3 cases of canned mustard greens @ wally world, .15 cents a can
bought 2 cases of turnip greens @ 15 cents a can
finished making another 10 pounds of beef jerky from meat thats been in the freezer for about 2 years
put the hardtop roof on the jeep for winter
sold the Harley Davidson, she was my baby, but my dream of land ownership is a bigger priority, I have 3 options as far as land goes, 2 here in wisconsin, 1 down south nearer my fellow ants.
Became a full fledged member of OathKeepers, looking at starting up a chapter here locally in my county.
Scouted out some new to me hunting grounds, Helped a elderly lady on the side of the road change a tire, she offered up her farm/wood property as hunting ground in thanks. I cut up and split a cord of wood for her since I saw she has a woodburning furnace to heat the house. Will make it a point of checking in on her once a week and ensuring that shes good to go with wood/groceries, ect. Shes extremely knowledgeable about canning and all the old school lifestyle. That and she loves to cook and bake! Ive been there 3 times so far and I think Ive gained 7 pounds! I spent a few hours picking her brain about canning, smoking meat, and other various off grid topics, and she is a fountain of information!
Helped a friend can 65 quarts of beets. . she gave me 10 quarts to take home, I think they will probably last me 17 years.
Partnered up with a Class III SOT gun friend of mine, I will be teaching his CCW & Defensive Pistol courses as the primary instructor in his school. A little extra cheddar and free ammo. . . We even may work out some barter instead of $$$, maybe going the toy route!

Sniper-T
10-28-2013, 11:33 PM
wow, sounds like a busy day there Stormy! You Rock! :p

post up the beet recipe if you can... I'm looking for something different for my next batch!

bacpacker
10-29-2013, 02:32 AM
We decided to take a couple days off work, so we took a short trip up to the mountians in VA and NC. Getting a chance to relax a little is priceless.

Picked up a couple bottles of some herbal tea blends from a vendor Taz had recommended. I also got volumes 1 & 3 of the Foxfire series, both in very good condition.

Tomorrow and Wed, we are going by boat to locate, tag GPS, and maps several points for my purposed route home from work should the roads be shut down or vehicles not be available. Plenty of fishing thrown in as well.

Stormfeather
10-29-2013, 03:45 AM
wow, sounds like a busy day there Stormy! You Rock! :p

post up the beet recipe if you can... I'm looking for something different for my next batch!

I will see if I can get in here in the next few days!

Stormfeather
11-12-2013, 03:31 AM
Spent the weekend getting supplies ready for evac to the Philippines for a humanitarian mission on the military side.
Spent the Marine Corps Birthday cold & wet. . .seems like some shit never changes.
Spent Veterans Day working on schoolwork and having a few beers with fellow soldiers.
Prepping . . . well, not much went on in that dept!

Taz Baby
11-12-2013, 01:34 PM
After 3 months of looking for work, finally found a job as a In-Home Caregiver Provider. I have years of experience in this field so I should be able to climb up the new ladder at this company. Been at this job for 2 weeks, started part time and after 3 days, have a 6 day a week work load, all before my 90 days trail period. So I have been busy.

ak474u
11-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Decking the garage attic will be done by Friday (gonna get cold here tonite, and I don't like scraping windshields in the am, so parking inside is a must now). Putting non-essential storage from the garage into the attic to free up space for essential stuff on my garage shelving (kitchen electric stuff we don't use frequently camping/supplemental BO gear for quick access) organizing tools for better efficiency, sold my compressors on CL, buying a smaller one better suited for my uses, building an attic elevator with a 400lb electric hoist for our bikes to get them up out of the way making more floor space for me, and since they're cumbersome, and we have an 8-6" ceiling, I don't want any head injuries from them hanging up. Adding another high rod in the master closet to free more space in an underutilized coat closet that will be home to some LTS foods, and more of our cold weather stuff. My wife's wedding dress takes up half of this closet by itself, and its the best place for stuff we use all the time.

Stormfeather
11-12-2013, 07:21 PM
You should look into vaaccum packing that wedding dress and calling it a day with it. HH-6 had hers taking up massive closet space, til I vac-bagged it. Now its long gone and disappeared! Out of sight, out of mind!

ak474u
11-12-2013, 07:43 PM
You should look into vaaccum packing that wedding dress and calling it a day with it. HH-6 had hers taking up massive closet space, til I vac-bagged it. Now its long gone and disappeared! Out of sight, out of mind!

Thought about that, but I think wife is saving it for her next wedding. Lol

Fidel MD
11-12-2013, 07:46 PM
New tires on the daily driver;
Polished the stored diesel fuel (including the big tank on the truck) after adding Pri-D;
Refilled the truck;
Washed and waxed for the winter;
Topped off the windshield washers with -40F Rain-X fluid;
Checked tire pressures in the other vehicles;
Got out the snow brooms and scrapers;
Put the winter bags in the vehicles.

I went through the on-vehicle equipment, BoB's and medical kits last weekend, bringing everything up to date.

ElevenBravo
11-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Shopped for ammo on line so when I get some money I can build my bank more... which is sadly low.

EB

Marthony
11-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Removed summer items from the Tupperware unit in the vehicle, bought new winter wipers.

Attached last pair of hiking shoes to evacuation bag (I buy new ones while the old are still good)(hiking shoes are the only type I buy for everyday use), added quality 2" safety pins to toiletry kit, added winter water-resistant gloves, detailed list of shortcomings of the evac bag. While there is a compact flashlight attached to the outside of it, I think another $30 Petzl water-resistant headlamp is called for.

I think I may ask for a vacuum sealer for Christmas. =) I think my evac bag really needs each category of item to be bagged so it can survive a flood evacuation in proper order. Fortunately I don't think my mother-in-law would laugh at this...she got me a 'Survival' knife last year and has expressed comfort that she knows her daughter is in safe hands with me. =)

Fidel MD
11-12-2013, 10:32 PM
put items into a zip-lock bag (unsealed) and then vac pack them. When you open the vac package, you will still have a waterproof container to keep the items dry.

Marthony
11-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Good point, thanks Fidel MD. Less expensive, multi-use & multi-purpose if need be. Of course, the few straws I'll also add for re-packing during an event will look funny in there. =)

MegaCPC
11-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Spent the weekend off the grid testing gear. Found out that my quickly made sling (http://www.shtfready.com/threads/3965-Quick-simple-sling-from-550-cord) functioned great.

Picked up some literature on preps and survival.

Picked up some rounds for the rifles as well.

bacpacker
11-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Been gettin my leaves cleaned up and spread on the garden, a little over half way with that. Pickup up good quality copies of the Foxfire books 1 & 3. Found a new Becker Knife that I broke down and got. Its a model BK-117. Now that I have it, I'm kinda wishing I had held out for the BK16 or 17 I have been wanting. I'll do a report on it as time permits.
Did some minor maintenance on my truck getting it ready for winter. I had a leaky radiator in my DD, so i swapped it out along with new hoses and flushed the radiator and refilled with fresh antifreeze. Winterized the BOV (RV).
I'm also working on our car bags for winter. Now to get the chicken coop cleaned out and the cleanings spread out for next years corn and squash crops. This cleaning will rot out over the winter and get used on the straw bale crops I'm gonna try in the spring. Right now I'm thinking peppers, some winter squash, cantaloupes, & cucmbers.

belew
11-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Started an orchard. Planted 10 varieties of apple trees. We will have fresh apples from June through November if I can keep the deer from tearing them up for the first few years. One is a Mattamuskeet, I was told it was used for bartering back in the day because the apples keep for a long time.

bacpacker
11-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Started an orchard. Planted 10 varieties of apple trees. We will have fresh apples from June through November if I can keep the deer from tearing them up for the first few years. One is a Mattamuskeet, I was told it was used for bartering back in the day because the apples keep for a long time.

Excellent job!

I put out 3-4 old style varieties when I planted my apple trees. One was Cox's Orange Pippin. I'd have to go back and look at my notes as I don't recall right off what the others were were.

Where did you find the Mattamuskeet type at. I picked all mine up from www.starkbros.com.

belew
11-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Thanks. All of ours are old varieties. They came from Century Farm Orchards. They have a great website that breaks them down to what the apples are best for, when they ripen and old or modern varieties.

www.centuryfarmorchards.com

bacpacker
11-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the link. I will give them a try.

LUNCHBOX
11-16-2013, 04:10 AM
I have made some changes to my personal life as some of you already know. I am now planning a house purchase and vehicle purchase in the very near future (next couple months) I am going to try for a few acres if possible and I also have other layout needs as well.

nevermind
11-17-2013, 11:40 PM
This past week, I made a batch of beef jerky and canned up some meatballs from meat I found on sale. Put up part of the apples into applesauce and apple pie filling. Finally got started dehydrating potatoes; easy, just takes time. We had our first hard freeze this week so I topped the cabbages and kale and put up cabbage soup. I covered up the young root crops for two days as it went back up to the 40s after the cold front passed. I brought in the herbs, young fruit trees and plants and hurt my back lifting clay pots.

Bought a new .22 target pistol at a super price. It shoots all types of .22 ammo; I was needing it to shoot varmints around the farm, snakes, rats, etc. I found some glass cylinder candles on sale for 75 cents, got one more oil lantern and more oil. I picked up some Halloween candy on sale and vacuum sealed it. Found a few more dozen pint jars at various stores. Picked up some neat LED flashlites at TS, you can hang them or they have a suction cup stand to hold the lite where you want it.

Stormfeather
11-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Im interested, how hard is it to dehydrate potatoes? Just slice them thin and slap them in the dehydrator? Im assuming thats all there is to it, correct me if Im wrong? Hadn't thought of dehydrating potatoes! Love that idea!

As for me, did some more jerky, used a Caribbean jerk recipe, wasn't too impressed with the results, but that's how it goes sometimes. Bagged it, tagged it, and stored it.

Did a full inventory in the pantry, re-verfified expiration dates on some perishables, still good across the board.

Prepped for rifle season starting this weekend.

Sniper-T
11-18-2013, 10:26 PM
put about 80 pounds of deer into the freezer. buddy and I got two nice does, deboned were 75 and 85 pounds respectively.

pics to follow when I can upload them

msomnipotent
12-06-2013, 04:31 PM
I haven't posted here in a long time because I haven't done much in a long time! I had a lot of problems during the summer and fall which led to a lot of my preps being destroyed. I basically just decided to chuck it all for a while and regroup. Once again, I am re-evaluating everything and starting over. And I gave away a large part of my trading items because my BIL's cousin's house burned down on Thanksgiving. I'm happy to help though, and it put my problems into a new perspective.

So far since Oct, I added two kayaks, a new hiking backpack, a few more Mountain House cans (the big ones), and I just ordered the MSR miniworks EX microfilter from Amazon. Between their sale and my credit card points, I got it for about $30, so I would be stupid not to buy it. That will be all for a few months because we have to pay a lawyer to sue some idiot, plus we are saving for a big road trip this summer.

Stormfeather
12-10-2013, 07:13 AM
MsO.. . sorry to hear that things arent going as well as can be hoped for, but remember, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger!

If its prying into personal details, please feel free to tell me to kindly kick rocks, but im curious as to how your preps got destroyed during the summer/fall? What it that you had to use them in re: to the house burning down? Im just going by your post, but that didnt seem to be the case, but I may have read it wrong as well. Anything we can do to help get ya back on track?

ak474u
12-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Added a seed vault from mypatriotsupply.com. Looks interesting, my mom ordered it for me on a whim, and ended up getting one for sister and brother as well. I may actually use it this coming spring just to test it out. I'd hate to find out it sucks post shtf. Lol

bacpacker
12-11-2013, 12:26 AM
Does the vault have a list of varieties are included? How many types of seed are in it? How many seeds?

I've looked at some of these, but decided I would prefer to pick out the type seed and varieties I stored. I am interested in what you got and what you think of it.

ak474u
12-11-2013, 12:33 AM
Does the vault have a list of varieties are included? How many types of seed are in it? How many seeds?

I've looked at some of these, but decided I would prefer to pick out the type seed and varieties I stored. I am interested in what you got and what you think of it.

Here's the list of what mine has. (Its down near the bottom in red)
http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Articles.asp?ID=245

I like that everything is Mylar packed, and re sealable, they seem to go the extra mile with the packaging. Only time will tell.

msomnipotent
12-11-2013, 01:37 AM
MsO.. . sorry to hear that things arent going as well as can be hoped for, but remember, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger!

If its prying into personal details, please feel free to tell me to kindly kick rocks, but im curious as to how your preps got destroyed during the summer/fall? What it that you had to use them in re: to the house burning down? Im just going by your post, but that didnt seem to be the case, but I may have read it wrong as well. Anything we can do to help get ya back on track?

It was a series of unfortunate events. The Jap beetles were especially bad this summer and killed all of our fruit trees except one cherry tree. The garden went to hell because of a few things, name Jap beetles and my time spent getting the cottage in order. Then an undetected mouse tore open the bags of stored rice. And instead of my cat getting the mouse, she decided to ruin several months worth of pet food, treats, and packaged food and spice mixes by tearing and chewing the bags. Or it was a combination of the cat and mouse. A few gallons of water leaked all over, which ruined a 50 lb bag of dog food and a couple of shelves. Plus, someone was shopping in my basement again while I was fixing up the cottage. A noticeable amount of toilet paper and canned goods walked off along with almost all of my batteries. Between that, several big-ticket items breaking (like the car and the computer, among other things), and needing to hire a lawyer to sue some stupid bitch, I haven't had the money or patience to replace my things.

The things I gave to my brother in law's family were just some things I set aside for bartering and some things I was selling on Craigslist and bookoo to pay for the lawyer. Their daughter happened to be my daughter's size in clothes and has the same interests, so I was able to give them quite a bit. Plus, I took a couple of things that I was going to give to my daughter for Christmas so she could have something new or for her parents to set aside to give to her. I had a few things for the mother, but I feel really bad that I had nothing for the other kids or husband.

I really appreciate the offer, but I'm just going to get back on track little by little. It is no use getting more things that are going to be ruined or walk off. I have been talking with my husband about some things, and things are going very well at work for him. We are hoping for a decent bonus in a few months since he fixed some critical problems and they are giving him more work and responsibility. So I figure I will just look for used locking containers for now and buy a bunch of preps if and when the bonus comes.

At least they didn't touch the expensive stuff I had hidden in old boxes in the basement! And I found a bottle of good whisky I had stashed in there. I have come to find that it has aged very well!

bacpacker
12-11-2013, 01:40 AM
That is a pretty good package. Several of the items are the varieties that I grow and have selected for long term storage. Keep us posted on how they turn out.

Metrocruiser
12-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Getting ready for spring and my vertical garden in the backyard. Going to build 2 tumbling 55gal compost bins. Just bought the last of all the pieces and just waiting for the snow to melt away before building them.

Might try a worm bin as well.

Added an 1956 Russian SKS and 1500 rounds to the arsenal today as well.

bacpacker
12-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Had a good week. I am still involved with our local EmComm group and have picked up a set of deep cycle batteries and all the cables and connectors, plus a battery maintainer. This gear is going to be used as emergency power for the pair of repeaters our group use primary access to. One of the guys in the group owns and maintains the gear. This will provide back up for a period of time should the primary go down for some reason.

ditchmedic
12-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Things have been slow here, mostly due to financial constraints with us being off work post birth.

Got some good news that a county EMS service should be calling to offer me a part time spot. The extra work is welcomed since OT has dried up at my full time spot.

Lots of plans in the works for summer projects around the new house, going to start the yard barn build and the tiered garden in a few weeks.

Should have the remaining upper parts, sans BCG and hangaurd, to finish my 300 blk SBR. Expecting an 8.5" barrel and reloading supplies tomorrow.

As always I added to my medical supplies.

ak474u
12-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Santa got me a G19.

Stormfeather
12-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Damn. . .. I need to get to know your Santa. . . mine got me wool socks!

Possom
12-20-2013, 12:53 AM
We finished the first canner of deer meat tonight. At least 2 more canner fulls to go tomorrow.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz87/cox-adam/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps60f82de9.jpg (http://s816.photobucket.com/user/cox-adam/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps60f82de9.jpg.html)

mitunnelrat
12-22-2013, 01:50 AM
I finished this semester of college with a 4.0 GPA and picked up my books for next semester, and learned why the nursing students all use wheeled luggage! I'm leaning toward possibly using an external frame pack in black though.

I have android powered phone now too, so ya'll are less safe on here now than you were ;). I think I may use the kindle app tonight to score some of these freebies I keeping reading about here.

Hmm... what else? Its been a busy week... oh! I installed a CTC laser guard on my pistol, only to need a gunsmith to remove it. There's a short in it and we stripped one of the tiny ass allen heads while troubleshooting that.

I did do one other thing this week as well. I picked up a 20# sand blaster from Harbor Freight, hoping it wasn't one of their lemons, for equipment/ tool maintenance. It worked like a charm, but it definitely takes some air! I think our compressor may be getting rewired for 220 to accommodate it!

Stormfeather
12-22-2013, 03:09 AM
I hear you! Im finishing up this semester on my degree in Homeland Security, while this is basically a somewhat new course, man oh man, is it in depth! I cant wait til we get to the part on FEMA Camps, I think I will rock that module!

ditchmedic
12-24-2013, 01:25 AM
Just got a metric shit ton of vooks feom my grandmas house.

Everything feom American history to medical books (lots of home remedies) and a lot of gardening books)

josh2299
12-24-2013, 03:47 AM
got new gear for what ever happens molle vest also i have made an underground bunker in a large forest part im good with construction and tactics eny one want to join my preppers band is welcome to it we carry out certain survival tests such as hunting tactical maneuvers aka undetectable by enemies etc so its open for enyone get in touch

helomech
12-26-2013, 02:03 AM
Me, my wife, and my youngest son (oldest is in air force now) have started working out at the gym about 6 weeks ago. We are going 6 nights a week. I never was much on weight lifting so when we started I would struggle to bench press120 lbs, tonight I did 300 lbs for the first time. Time to move my goal up to 350 lbs. I am not a big guy I am almost 6 foot, but only weigh 180 lbs. Hoping to get into really good shape.

mitunnelrat
12-26-2013, 03:12 AM
Today I brushed up on my barter skills and traded up from a set of candles, to an electric cocktail shaker, to a precision knife set.

2die4
12-26-2013, 04:50 AM
Me, my wife, and my youngest son (oldest is in air force now) have started working out at the gym about 6 weeks ago. We are going 6 nights a week. I never was much on weight lifting so when we started I would struggle to bench press120 lbs, tonight I did 300 lbs for the first time. Time to move my goal up to 350 lbs. I am not a big guy I am almost 6 foot, but only weigh 180 lbs. Hoping to get into really good shape.

Good job! That is an accomplishment. Make sure you work your way up the weight scale that you do it safely and with proper form. If you need any questions answered I would be happy to help.

helomech
12-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Good job! That is an accomplishment. Make sure you work your way up the weight scale that you do it safely and with proper form. If you need any questions answered I would be happy to help.

Thanks. I am only using about 160 lbs to work out on my normal routine. This was the first time I tried to max out. I am taking it slow, at 40 I don't want to hurt myself.

mitunnelrat
12-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Thats a sound path to follow, and congrats. I'm not even lifting that heavy because I have no spotter and tendinitis in my shoulders. I've been thinking a trainer might be worth it to rehab and be safe. I enjoy lifting too, so this sucks.

300# is pretty damn good in my eyes.

helomech
12-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Thats a sound path to follow, and congrats. I'm not even lifting that heavy because I have no spotter and tendinitis in my shoulders. I've been thinking a trainer might be worth it to rehab and be safe. I enjoy lifting too, so this sucks.

300# is pretty damn good in my eyes.

Thanks, I thought it was pretty good, especially for a 40 year old that has not lifted in over 20 years. My right elbow gives me some issues every once in a while (tennis elbow) ibuprofen seems to help it. I am being extremely careful with my back. Don't want any issues there.

ElevenBravo
12-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Dumbell inclined presses are better for your shoulder, than flat bench bar presses, ask my full tear rotator cuff how I know...

Anywho, it wasnt today it was Sunday but we sighted in the daughter's AK and shoot AR500 steel, most fun Ive had in a LONG time!

EB

helomech
12-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Dumbell inclined presses are better for your shoulder, than flat bench bar presses, ask my full tear rotator cuff how I know...

I do incline, flat and decline bench. It isn't really the position that can hurt your rotator cup as much as the form you use. Just like doing shoulder shrugs, never rotate your shoulders while you do them.

ElevenBravo
12-27-2013, 10:39 PM
Mech, depends on your age, and genetics too. Mine with with 250 and flat bench bar. Its been repaired, along with the other from work (also full tear) and I feel a lot less tension on the shoulder joint with dumbbell presses. Off topic, but HTH.

EB

ElevenBravo
12-28-2013, 07:17 PM
Just exercised the genny (no more demons) , put a Rem 770 .308 on lay a way (since sometimes you just want to REACH OUT and touch something), bought X39 ammo with my Xmas gift card to Sportsmans Warehouse ($5.99 a box for FMJ, minus 5% with military discount, comes out to sticker price since tax is 5%), getting ready to get more buckets and canned goods, researching canned ground beef, and researching the vacuum sealers they have a G-Mtn, there a butt load better than the SealAhMeal but cost more too... thus, researching.

Getting geared up to get some AKs in airsoft for tacticool training with Bec... and always... on the hunt for road side BBQ grills with good tanks (I snatch the tanks and run).

EB

bacpacker
12-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Got the wife a little stove for her GHB to match the one I picked up for mine and decided it was a keeper. Found several chest seals, so I got 5 of them as well. And to top it off some .22 cal, 77gr HP to feed the loader.

Stormfeather
12-29-2013, 04:19 AM
Just scored a pretty darn good deal! I traded a Masterpiece Arms Mac-10 9mm pistol, a set of harley davidson drag handlebars, and 2 ounces of silver coin in pre-64 dimes for 2 snowmobiles! One is a 2004 and one is a 1976! The 1976 is actually in great shape, as is the 2004. The guy selling them found out this fall he has to undergo kidney transplant operations this winter, so hes decided to get rid of some toys. He was looking for gun and cycle stuff, his asking price was 1800 for both of them, I only wanted one of them, so I made an offer, and he accepted it! Then he asked if I wanted the second one as well!!! So I stopped by tonight and took the stuff over to him and checked out the sleds! One took some pulling since it had sat for 2 years, but after 5 minutes of pulling and starter fluid, it fired up and we took her out for a 15 minute spin! The 1976 model, started on the first pull after sitting for 2 years as well! I would say I came out on the better end of that deal! Pics after I pick them up tomorrow morning!

Metrocruiser
12-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Nice score!!

helomech
12-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Cool, I have never ridden a snow mobile. One day I am going to.

bacpacker
12-29-2013, 05:14 PM
I would call that a great score. My BIL in Michigan has one and I know they aren't cheap, even used ones. In your neck of the woods I can see that being a must have at times. I know if we lived in the Great White North, that would be at high on my list of things to get. Can't wait for details and pics on these.

ladyhk13
12-29-2013, 06:47 PM
I got an All American Sun Oven for Christmas! It was the only thing I put on my list this year since we just bought ourselves a new living room set of laz-e-boy furniture as a gift to each other so I figured I would add to our off grid preps. I haven't taken it out of the box yet but it looks like it came with its own pots and everything! Very cool.

Stormfeather
12-29-2013, 09:07 PM
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/Strmfeathr/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131229_155833_030_zpsbwevqz2j.jpg (http://s95.photobucket.com/user/Strmfeathr/media/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20131229_155833_030_zpsbwevqz2j.jpg.html)

The newest addition to the Bug Out Plan! I can now travel by snow! I got another one, but its still in the trailer, will be unloading later when the kid gets home to help me!

ak474u
12-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Planted a "fruit cocktail tree" (wife wanted it) and a pear tree yesterday. That gives us: pears, figs, plums, 3 kinds of peach, nectarines 2 kinds, apricots, blueberries, pomegranate, blackberries, and grapes all planted this year. I've turned a 2x30 foot area of the upper yard terrace for taters, and onions, I've got about 15 feet to go, and then I'm building some more raised beds ASAP. Hopefully we'll have a good spring and summer planting this year. Oh, and I got a pressure canner from my wife's grandma that I've yet to open up to see the condition of.

bacpacker
12-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Lady those ovens are suppose to be really noce. We have one on our list of gotta haves.
AK that is a good variety of fruit once they get to producing regular.
Stormy from what little I know Artic Cats are prety high on the list of quality brands. What size are they?

Stormfeather
12-30-2013, 12:49 AM
Stormy from what little I know Artic Cats are prety high on the list of quality brands. What size are they?

These are both 440's, ones a little older and its called a Arctic Cat El Tigre. We took both of them out and had a blast tooling around in them.. The oldest boy managed to hit a few hallmarks today in life, his first time riding a snowmobile, his first time getting thrown from a vehicle, and his first time going over 100 MPH! Before anyone gets upset, all three events were all separate of each other! He was trying to get the concept of cornering at the beginning and didnt know he had to lean into the turn!

bacpacker
12-30-2013, 01:42 AM
Sounds like a good time on the riding. Turning snow machines is different from anything I had done before. The one I rode won't turn at slow speed, Much easier going a little faster and with room to turn. They are fun to ride after getting a little time on them.

ditchmedic
12-30-2013, 03:04 AM
Did some shooting today. I loaded over 100 rounds of 10mm to test last night and 50 rounds of .223. I had every intention of doing so but our normal rifle spot was full and the closest public range is an hour. Where we ended up had weeds and grass that were too tall and I kept losing my 10mm brass (I cried a little, can't exactly go to a range to get more). So we played with AR's and shot a couple cases of clays.

Going to go to the range tomorrow and at least test the .223. DNR gets butthurt when you shoot from the lanes and the shortest range is 25 yards, a little far to test pistol reloads. My first lowest 5 10mm were decently accurate, but pretty weak to shoot. The .223 were all low and pretty open (could have been the wind, again not an ideal place to test). Most importantly, these were my first reloads and I didn't blow up.

ElevenBravo
01-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Ordered six more mags

Ordered two Blackhawk chest rigs (off ebay, not link below)
http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-bw-pc-aabade.html

Picked up 500 rnds of ammo for $150

EB

mitunnelrat
01-04-2014, 11:25 PM
This week was largely dominated by splitting and stacking fire wood. A "little" late this year, but at least we got it in before this big blizzard I'm hearing about hits us tonight.

In other news, I went on my normal Saturday shopping trip and played hell finding a gallon of milk! Lol

bacpacker
01-04-2014, 11:48 PM
Spent this afternoon installing two Gel Cell batteries and a trickle charger at our local EmComm repeater site. The repeater typically runs from a 110v to 12v power supply. But using a relay system it is now set up to switch over to the batteries when utility power is lost. Under a reduced usage during an emergency situation we should get 4-7 days before the repeater goes down. This could well be great timing. We are expecting bad weather over the next 3-4 days.

Katrina
01-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Know what ya mean MT . Went yesterday to pick up the kitty litter that I forgot to get the other day, lines were to the back of the store. Little OLD lady 'bout 80 went to stand in what she thought was a small 12 items or less line and the crowd started to yell, yeah yell at her to go to back of line NO ONE thought to help her, (I did) I couldn't believe it AND the junk these people were buying was ridiculous, frozen food, chips, pop, just junk food. A few of had canned goods, milk (and kitty litter LOL). One guy bought 20 bags of rock salt, He was ahead of me and said he buys it all the time once a month but didn't expect the idiots, his words, that were in line yesterday when he went to get his regular order, having a cow because he wrote a check for it. Talk about idiots panicking.
So far we've gotten 5" supposed to get another 5 by tonight. Son 1 has to go to airport tomorrow and take kids back to CO., we'll see if the flights get cancelled or delayed. Just hope he takes it easy and drives carefully from his in-laws up north of here.

belew
01-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Yesterday I signed up for a honey bee course that starts next month. Today I ordered some barrels and buckets for a small aquaponics system. I got a 6x12 greenhouse for Christmas so I'm in the planing stage of how to make the most of a small space.

2die4
01-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Yesterday I signed up for a honey bee course that starts next month. Today I ordered some barrels and buckets for a small aquaponics system. I got a 6x12 greenhouse for Christmas so I'm in the planing stage of how to make the most of a small space.
Be sure to keep us posted. I'd like to see you bee setup and aquaponics system. I'm sure everyone else would too.

belew
01-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Will do. I'm looking forward to getting both going.

Stormfeather
01-05-2014, 07:04 PM
Know what ya mean MT . Went yesterday to pick up the kitty litter that I forgot to get the other day, lines were to the back of the store. Little OLD lady 'bout 80 went to stand in what she thought was a small 12 items or less line and the crowd started to yell, yeah yell at her to go to back of line NO ONE thought to help her, (I did) I couldn't believe it AND the junk these people were buying was ridiculous, frozen food, chips, pop, just junk food. A few of had canned goods, milk (and kitty litter LOL). One guy bought 20 bags of rock salt, He was ahead of me and said he buys it all the time once a month but didn't expect the idiots, his words, that were in line yesterday when he went to get his regular order, having a cow because he wrote a check for it. Talk about idiots panicking.
So far we've gotten 5" supposed to get another 5 by tonight. Son 1 has to go to airport tomorrow and take kids back to CO., we'll see if the flights get cancelled or delayed. Just hope he takes it easy and drives carefully from his in-laws up north of here.

no snow here at all, just supposed to be wind chill is all. School cancellation alert already went out for tomorrow!

mitunnelrat
01-06-2014, 12:20 AM
We got hammered pretty good here, and its still going. I even called off work because I dont feel like trying to push my way out to a paved road, nor back in tomorrow morning when I'm tired. I got stuck on my way home this morning because of that, and conditions weren't as bad. It was a little embarrassing.

Stormfeather
01-06-2014, 12:30 AM
Whoohooo! traded a large bunch of mags, for a Lauer .22 suppressor! Still have to pay the tax on it and all, but still, got me another suppressor for a bunch of mags I no longer have a need for!

ElevenBravo
01-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Looked at a Para 1911 at the LGS today... damn half tempted to trade a few toys in toward it. Problem is, my first and only AD was with a 1911 and... it skeers me a bit. HA HA!

EB

ditchmedic
01-08-2014, 01:27 AM
Whoohooo! traded a large bunch of mags, for a Lauer .22 suppressor! Still have to pay the tax on it and all, but still, got me another suppressor for a bunch of mags I no longer have a need for!

Sure wish I had a use for those mags, in a MP5/10 preferably

Caveman Survival
01-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Two days ago made a couple of purchases that I have been putting off for a bit. Not big nor mind blowing mind you, but important in my offgrid arsenal. A manual pasta press and a manual food mill. As I am moving our family into a more traditional lifestyle and working to avoid anything processed, the kitchen is a big focus of mine.

In any scenario, feeding yourself and your family is one of the big four priorities (food, water, shelter and safety)... And many out there would be screwed without their electric gadgets that make their lives easier, which is why we are replacing anything that needs a plug with some old-timey gadgets.

ak474u
01-15-2014, 12:48 AM
Two days ago made a couple of purchases that I have been putting off for a bit. Not big nor mind blowing mind you, but important in my offgrid arsenal. A manual pasta press and a manual food mill. As I am moving our family into a more traditional lifestyle and working to avoid anything processed, the kitchen is a big focus of mine.

In any scenario, feeding yourself and your family is one of the big four priorities (food, water, shelter and safety)... And many out there would be screwed without their electric gadgets that make their lives easier, which is why we are replacing anything that needs a plug with some old-timey gadgets.

I can't wait to see your iPad. Lol. It's great to have those durable, non electric tools.

Caveman Survival
01-15-2014, 04:46 AM
I can't wait to see your iPad. Lol. It's great to have those durable, non electric tools.

It's called pen, paper, and an encyclopedia lol

LUNCHBOX
01-16-2014, 01:04 AM
Wired the cash for the new house Monday....PAID!!! Going over in the morning for new locks and start some repairs. I will post any major changes or additions once completed.

bacpacker
01-16-2014, 01:32 AM
That sounds awesome LB. Can't wait to hear some details.

LUNCHBOX
01-17-2014, 04:20 AM
New fridge, stove, washer, dryer. I hate shopping.

Taz Baby
01-20-2014, 01:00 AM
Well today I made laundry detergent, goat milk eczema soap for dry flaky skin, body wash, and tooth paste. I am now tired. Here are the recipes and the links.
I got everything from walmart and oils from hobby Lobby.
I used Fels-Naptha it was .96cent a bar. I also added 1 cup of baking soda.
http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-laundry-detergent-soap/

I used 1/2 bar of castile soap, ( if you use that, you don't need the glycerin), and 1/2 bar of Irish spring.
http://katiejgibson.blogspot.com/2012/01/frugal-home-series-part-4-homemade.html

http://diyconfessions.com/2012/11/15/homemade-eczema-creamskin-moisturizer/

http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-toothpaste/

ak474u
01-20-2014, 02:18 AM
Tilled a large area of my upper yard terrace that I've been hand turning slowly, screw that crap, I rented a tiller and knocked everything out for this planting in 3 hours. Today we planted 10-15 sweet onions (vidallia), red onions, white grano onions, and cut the eyes off seed taters for white kennebec, yukon gold and red taters. Also planted a "pink lemonade" blueberry. Picked up tons of seeds for lots of other goodies too. I've got seed for the year now. I've gotta build some potato boxes this week and next, I'm not gonna be able to get the taters I've got ready to plant into the ground I've got left.

bacpacker
01-26-2014, 02:47 AM
This will cover more than just this past week. I spent today pruning my fruit trees and clearing out limbs and suck around the chicken pen. Hopefully get the grape vines pruned up tomorrow.
Went to visit my sister and family last weekend. We always go around antiquing, found a set of blacksmith tongs and a large come-along cheap. Also found some metal that can be remade into something one day. Picked up a rope type come along also. We used to use these for stretching fencing.
DW also got a load of apples in the dehydrator this afternoon. About 3 more runs left to go. Also gonna run about a half box of grapefruit's.

ak474u
02-02-2014, 02:23 AM
This week: started building 8-2'x6' and 2-6'x6' 11" high raised cedar garden beds. Disassembled my 4x8 cedar bed and I'm going to cut it down into a rectangular box 2' high for a wisteria next to my pergola (gotta have some pretty stuff). I've got my 4x4 cypress trellises taken down, and I'm going to stain, and repurpose them with a cedar frame and use them for bean rows. That will give me 16' of peas. We've got a winter storm coming, so tomorrow AM I've got to cover my onion rows with burlap and hope for the best. Luckily, I only put 1/2 of the onion slips in the ground so far. Bought my grow light today, and got some bell lights for 60W bulbs to provide a little heat for my starter seeds which need to get going THIS week. I also found something neat... Maybe this will help some other members here. My county has a composting facility 3 miles from my house, AND they sell & deliver composted garden soil CHEAP. Local places are getting 150-250 for a yard of material delivered (each yard over 1 is cheaper, but not much). My county is $35 per yard delivered. I'm going Monday to get more info.

ditchmedic
02-02-2014, 07:05 AM
Been very busy planning, wheels are turning almost non stop now that weve settle in with a routine with the baby. It's really lit a fire under my ass to get things done, to ensure a long happy life for her no matter what happens.

Have a rather large water storage plan almost worked out, as well as new food storage plans, and some home security stuff.

About to test for my paramedic patch so that will be a large, welcomed raise to get things done.

Taz Baby
02-09-2014, 10:19 AM
I planted my tomato seeds indoors and a few wild flowers that I gathered seeds from last year. Going to plant the pepper seeds that BP was gracious enough to send to me. Hope everything comes up. I have windows that the sun comes into and will put them all on the rack I have to make a inside greenhouse. Fingers crossed at my attempt to have a garden.

bacpacker
02-09-2014, 03:38 PM
We spent the past week (10days) trying to get over the flu. BAAAAD JU JU!

ditchmedic
02-11-2014, 03:17 AM
Started some seeds. Got another AR upper, which means I need a lower, and a barrel and a second job, etc etc.

ak474u
02-11-2014, 03:34 AM
Built 2 PVC strawberry towers out of 4" pipe. Gonna paint them brown, and use black paint to make them look like tree trunks so they look less like big ugly white pipes tomorrow. I've got room for 25 strawberry plants in 2 square feet of garden space. Last year our garden was kinda rushed and disjointed. This year, its gonna look like we know what we're doing. (Sorta)

greg48
02-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Put my ruck on did a 8 mile hump, gotta get back to getting out more.

Possom
02-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Been working the last few days on finishing the goat kidding barn. Got rafters hung yesterday and it mostly sided in. When finished we should have a 24'x32' barn dedicated to the goats.

mitunnelrat
02-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Started working my first reloads this weekend. Got some brass twice cleaned and primed for .223, powder and "pills" to follow once my week slows down again.

Actually not too happy with the powder process at the moment. I was getting some widely varied readings on my beam scale, and I'm not sure if it was the scale or the powder measure. I'll find out soon enough since I want a digital scale anyway. The 1/10th gradients on the beam are a bit confusing and take too long for my liking. I want this as idiot-proof as possible.

helomech
02-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Started working my first reloads this weekend. Got some brass twice cleaned and primed for .223, powder and "pills" to follow once my week slows down again.

Actually not too happy with the powder process at the moment. I was getting some widely varied readings on my beam scale, and I'm not sure if it was the scale or the powder measure. I'll find out soon enough since I want a digital scale anyway. The 1/10th gradients on the beam are a bit confusing and take too long for my liking. I want this as idiot-proof as possible.

What powder are you using? Just want to make sure you use one that will cycle a semi auto. I use BLC-2 mostly, (can't remember the others) but just because it is labeled for 223 does not mean it will cycle the AR. Also don't get to worried about a few tenths of a grain here and there for your plinking ammo. The gun should cycle and shoot just fine any ammo, even ammo loaded outside the range of the manual. I load my plinking ammo as light as possible to make the powder go further. I think I am running 23.0 grains of BLC-2 and never have any issues. For my self defense ammo I load it a lot hotter.

Also what scale are you using? What press are you using? And what powder dispenser?

mitunnelrat
02-18-2014, 03:59 PM
The powder is H332. Williams Gun Sight is within easy driving distance of me so we took a small road trip on Friday. The clerk there recommended it and gave me some CCI primers, which look to be pretty safe since my Lee Auto Prime can take all 100 of them no problem.

LEE is the majority of my equipment. I made myself a fairly portable setup by getting their hand press, and screwing their powder measure to a wooden base. Its also their beam scale I don't like reading... One or the other of those also threw some pretty wild variations to the mix. I'd get it close to perfect, and next thing I know the scale would drop and max out after a .01-.02 adjustment of the charge.

I'm not worried if I'm a tenth or two light or heavy on the scale setting since I'm not maxing the load out. The H332 recipe calls for a max. starting load of 21 grains, with a not to exceed of 23 grains, so I'm within safe settings either way. I'm anal though, and I don't want any "guess or by gosh" with this at all if I can help it.

helomech
02-18-2014, 04:08 PM
The powder is H332. Williams Gun Sight is within easy driving distance of me so we took a small road trip on Friday. The clerk there recommended it and gave me some CCI primers, which look to be pretty safe since my Lee Auto Prime can take all 100 of them no problem.

LEE is the majority of my equipment. I made myself a fairly portable setup by getting their hand press, and screwing their powder measure to a wooden base. Its also their beam scale I don't like reading... One or the other of those also threw some pretty wild variations to the mix. I'd get it close to perfect, and next thing I know the scale would drop and max out after a .01-.02 adjustment of the charge.

I'm not worried if I'm a tenth or two light or heavy on the scale setting since I'm not maxing the load out. The H332 recipe calls for a max. starting load of 21 grains, with a not to exceed of 23 grains, so I'm within safe settings either way. I'm anal though, and I don't want any "guess or by gosh" with this at all if I can help it.

Load a few and make sure they run in your rifle, before you load a bunch of them.

The lee equipment is fine, I still use my lee turret press from time to time. It is hard to tell how much a load is off with a beam scale, but it takes a large difference in powder to make any real world difference, especially if you are on the low side.

Just have fun with it, and don't try to get to perfect for plinking ammo. Remember it is for fun and to allow you to shoot more.

mitunnelrat
02-18-2014, 04:23 PM
With you there. We only planned to load 5 for now, though we primed more.

And would you believe part of the enjoyment for me is being as precise as possible? Its the technical side of me.

Stormfeather
02-19-2014, 03:59 AM
Trying to kick this bad flu I think I picked up on a little jaunt that I had to take a few weeks ago. I hate bringing home crappy virus's from crappy places I have to visit! I swear to god, at some point, Im going to end up being Patient Zero on the next bubonic plague!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-19-2014, 04:30 AM
OIl change on the "urban assault vehicle" stocked the petroleum locker (motor oil, filters, I keep an extra supply for.....you know) Worked some loads for the M14 I do think I'm about ready for a 175gr "match" production run now. Weather was real today so I got some range time in. I have a shit load of Lake City brass that's prepped and ready to load but just haven't made the right load yet. But today might have been the one. I need to try one more thing and if that works I'll be running about 5 or 6 hundred rounds to start. Then I'll have to tweak the 168gr Match load one more time as well and then I'll finish running the rest of the brass. So do I use the "A-Max" or the Barnes TSX? Fuck I don't know.........

bacpacker
02-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Sorry to hear bout the flu Stormy. We both had it a couple weeks ago and it SUCKS! Took about ten days to start gettin our strength back. Two guys on my crew have had it, one was in the hospital for 2 weeks. The other hasnt got back to work yet after 11 days.

helomech
02-19-2014, 01:35 PM
OIl change on the "urban assault vehicle" stocked the petroleum locker (motor oil, filters, I keep an extra supply for.....you know) Worked some loads for the M14 I do think I'm about ready for a 175gr "match" production run now. Weather was real today so I got some range time in. I have a shit load of Lake City brass that's prepped and ready to load but just haven't made the right load yet. But today might have been the one. I need to try one more thing and if that works I'll be running about 5 or 6 hundred rounds to start. Then I'll have to tweak the 168gr Match load one more time as well and then I'll finish running the rest of the brass. So do I use the "A-Max" or the Barnes TSX? Fuck I don't know.........

Barnes are a much better bullet, but way more expensive. I decided on the Hornady SST's, good all around bullet. Very accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

With you there. We only planned to load 5 for now, though we primed more.

And would you believe part of the enjoyment for me is being as precise as possible? Its the technical side of me.

I also enjoy being precise as possible for my good ammo, but my plinking ammo I just roll out as many as possible. Accuracy is always acceptable.

Caveman Survival
02-19-2014, 01:54 PM
The other day I picked up a vacu-seal food saver.... I lose way to much food to the dreaded freezer burn. That along with awesome deals in chicken breast and pork loin I was able to portion out a few months worth of dinners for the fam. I'm not sure what took me so long to purchase this bad boy...

helomech
02-19-2014, 02:05 PM
We traded 40 dozen eggs for 80 broiler chickens that are ready to slaughter. Should put a bunch of meat up.

Katrina
02-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Sorry,haven't been on lately. EB,try Keystone for canned meat,if you're not putting your own up. We have a few cans.It's all good beef, ground beef, chicken,turkey and pork. Nothing added but a little salt. Local grocery has the beef chunks,pork and chic. Unless you see the can, can't tell the difference when added to stews,chili.,etc. It's a bit pricey but their web site claims with proper storage, cans will last 5 years. Did coney dog sauce for work pot luck with the ground beef.Everyone thought it was da best they ever had. Other than getting me a bow and arrows for early Xmas gift, just trying to maintain adding to food storage. Oh ,in June the alternative energy show normally held up north will be close by.I'm taking first day of show off work and seeing about wind/solar power back ups for home Maybe get off grid and make energy co's pay ME!

Caveman Survival
02-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Completed and passed my Canadian firearms safety training today. Now just filling out my application for my PAL and sending it in. All that's left is determine what type of rifle to buy.

LUNCHBOX
02-23-2014, 02:50 AM
I picked up a JRC (Just Right Carbine) in 9mm. Its accepts my Glock 17 mags which gives me mag compatability for my primary and secondary. I will get some pics up in the weapons thread soon. Also picked up more ammo. Got some trigger time in with Kodiak. The JRC handled just fine. Been working on the house mostly.

izzyscout21
02-23-2014, 02:36 PM
I picked up a JRC (Just Right Carbine) in 9mm. Its accepts my Glock 17 mags which gives me mag compatability for my primary and secondary. I will get some pics up in the weapons thread soon. Also picked up more ammo. Got some trigger time in with Kodiak. The JRC handled just fine. Been working on the house mostly.

I had one of those before it was called "just right carbine". It had another name ( cant remember right now) and took colt smg mags at the time, but it was the same gun. That company sold out to the guys making the JRC now.

Cool little guns. If you can find it, the IMI subgun ammo runs really well through them.

Alas Babylon
02-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Went to a yard sale down the street and bought two bow saws. More importantly learned some intel. My rural ag area is being bought up by developers at a mad pace, the yard sale guy just sold for a crazy high price, along with his neighbors. 800 houses are already going up at the end of my little back road where it meets the main road, now all this even closer.
I think I need to start some serious thinking about where to move.
Central Florida is really starting to suck.

LUNCHBOX
03-01-2014, 01:31 AM
Went to a yard sale down the street and bought two bow saws. More importantly learned some intel. My rural ag area is being bought up by developers at a mad pace, the yard sale guy just sold for a crazy high price, along with his neighbors. 800 houses are already going up at the end of my little back road where it meets the main road, now all this even closer.

There is times when information is worth as much as any item you own.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
03-01-2014, 12:26 PM

Not to be nosey but I am....what area is this, we still have family there in Orlando area. This is one of the main reasons I left and hate Florida. All of the places I fished, hunted, surfed you name it, GONE! Sink holes, you wonder why? I don't, I've done enough cave diving and understand the aquifer of Florida. They've destroyed the water system causing a vacuum/voids which creates these sink holes. Man if you could have experienced it when I was a younger lad.

OK valuable intell and needs to get out to the people, I would love to know more so I could pass it along please.
Thank you.

Alas Babylon
03-02-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm south east of Orlando. Specifically Narcoossee, which is half way between the Lake Nona area and Saint Cloud. The rapid development is being driven by the Medical City that's being developed just up the road. My area is not unique unfortunately, the south and east sides of Orlando are all going nuts development wise. I'm off hwy 15, which used to be a two lane road, now its 6 lanes. I am thinking of northwest fl after I retire in 5 years or so.

bacpacker
03-10-2014, 12:22 AM
It's been a busy month. Last three weekend I have been cutting dead trees and cleaning up that mess. still got 4 more trees to take out and a bunch of brush that needs cutting down. I'm getting ready to replace my grape arbor and wanted the dead standing trees down before i installed it. I will be having a hell of a bonfire soon. :)
The area where the trees are coming down is going to get planted with more fruit producing plants/trees this fall. I have this summer to decide wht all that will be.
I got the stuff to make my arbor with today and will start building it soon. Gonna use a T-brace style and put hog panels on top of that for the grapes to spread out on. I will end up with 12 plants, 6 concords, 6 muscadines in about 64' of row. That will produce all we will need.
I got my chicken crap that has been composting for a year spread out for this years corn crop. Still need to clean the coop soon. We are also planting cabbage, spinach, califlour, and brocholi tomorrow evening.

ak474u
03-10-2014, 01:15 AM
Decided to try something new with our raised beds... Keyhole gardening. We've got a 6x6x12" high cedar raised bed at the center of the garden. I put an 18" wide by 24" high circular compost cage at the center and filled with material from my compost tumbler, we then put shredded newspaper at the bottom, grass clippings, and filled the entire bed with really good dirt. This is gonna be a high density planting, the articles I've read say as many as 70 plants can fit in this bed basically creating a jungle canopy over the soil, and the larger plants shading smaller ones. The compost at the center continues to decay and be added to, and while kept wet, the compost tea leaches into the soil. I'm not sure I'm gonna go as high as 70 plants, only because I see an issue with caging the tomatoes, and peppers when they start producing large fruit, so we may do 20-25 various plants and then see where it goes from there. Also bought 30 plants for less than a dollar each, but can't put them in yet because I'm afraid its gonna freeze. My strawberries are damaged from the last freeze, so hopefully they'll recover, I did everything I could with the burlap covers. The PVC vertical gardening is gonna take some getting used to with it's fragility. The builder is taking out my back fence this week because its crusty, and the new home behind me comes with a new fence, so yay me! I get a new fence! AND... My fence is on MY property, approximately a foot from a 3' stone wall, and the new fence will be set on top of that wall, which means I get and 9 foot rear fence, and another foot of back yard. I'm having the builder leave the old posts in place, so now I've got a 70' bean row with preset supports. I measured and planned out my water barrel pad this weekend as well. I'll start leveling that spot next weekend, and build up the cinder block base for the barrels. I've got to give the gutter guy a good idea of where the downspouts need to go, and I'm trying to do multiple projects at once without having to get a night and weekend job.

2die4
03-10-2014, 02:47 AM
Picked up a few boxes of .223 cheap. Nice to see it back on the shelves.

Stormfeather
03-10-2014, 11:15 PM
got 50 pounds of potatos... now to cut them up and start dehyrdrating. . . this is going to be a long week.

mitunnelrat
03-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Helped build and then staged six 4'x8' garden boxes to be put in place once the snow melts off.

Ordered a set of Lee auto prime shell holders for my reloading kit and also completed my first live rounds last Friday. No range report yet.

Bought an '05 Ford Ranger XLT with 4wd and super cab for my new daily driver and BOV.

And, of course, school continues. Bio #2 and English next semester, I think.

bacpacker
03-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Stormy you might look into getting a Mandolin slicer. Much faster and easier than a knife. Plus you can adjust the thickness and all slices are uniform which makes drying much easier.

Also I put off planting this week. We are going to have temps in the mid twenties later this week. No need to kill my plants.

ak474u
03-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Stormy you might look into getting a Mandolin slicer. Much faster and easier than a knife. Plus you can adjust the thickness and all slices are uniform which makes drying much easier.

Also I put off planting this week. We are going to have temps in the mid twenties later this week. No need to kill my plants.

Yup, 88* today, 30 something tomorrow. Stupid global warming.

bacpacker
03-12-2014, 12:22 AM
We hit 73 today. Possibly snow flurries tomorrow night. Where is ALGORE?

Caveman Survival
03-12-2014, 08:34 PM
The ground frost has sunk below 7 feet in my city, and over 700 people have had their pipes freeze, with another 3000 on an at-risk list (mostly old homes), my parents home being one of them at risk. The city told them to run a tap in their house at a slow trickle (approx 4 litres and hour) and they will be credited te water consumption on their bills.

what does this mean for me? Free water!!!!

I have been making trips there daily filling up all of my saved gallon milk jugs, taking them back to my place and filling up my water catchment systems. The city figures it will be this way for at least a few more weeks.

Sadly, this will prob mean that water rates will explode next year... But in te mean time it's all gravy for this years gardening season.

@stormfeather I never have any luck dehydrating potatoes. I can never get them to rehydrate to a palatable consistency. Any tips?

@bacpacker damn rights it's global warming. Can't think of another reason for such wild climate swings in the last decade

bacpacker
03-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Yep global warming for certain. Just like has been going on since at least the dinosour period. Heats up and cools back down. I wonder what man was doing back then to screw things up??????? Hmmmmm

ElevenBravo
03-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Ive been listening to Jack Spirco podcast... trying to get smarter. Also continuing to pay on my HK P30's law-a-way. Took daughter shooting her 1911.

EB

Caveman Survival
03-12-2014, 10:51 PM
@bacpacker ... Sure it's cyclical... But that doesn't mean it hasn't been accelerated since the industrial revolution.

I like to consider myself somewhat a prepper. Which means I not only prepare for when bad things happen, but I proactively prepare to ensure it doesn't happen. I shovel the snow away from my foundation so my basement doesn't leak, I compost my kitchen scraps so I decrease garbage output as well as provide me with valuable humus for my garden, I repurpose as many items as I can so that I morally am not over contributing to polluting industries. Am I wrong to want to not breathe, eat and drink foul air, food and water? Nope.

Yes Mother Earth heals itself, and will again, but does so through natural means. When we unnaturally deforest, pollute, and lift our noses at conservation, all the while narrow mindedly believing the actions of 7 billion people aren't contributing to the unbalance in nature... Well then, we aren't prepping... We are already giving up.

Edit**** realized I rambled. Here's the tl;dr version....

I realize some don't believe in global warming or climate change, I understand that... But what's the harm in becoming more responsible stewards of Mother Earth. We can only benefit from doing so. If there is no emp, nuclear war, asteroid collision, zombie outbreak in your lifetime will you look back at your prepping and say it was a waste? No, you'll be happy that you were prepared. These actions of stewardship are pre-preps in my eyes.

Ok, so maybe it wasn't quite a tl;dr version lol

ElevenBravo
03-12-2014, 11:54 PM
I like Cave's way of thinking... Im not sold that we dont have an impact on our environment, but the climate is another thing all together. Just having some respect for mother nature I think, like Cave does... its our responsibility to have a minimalist impact while were here... This doesnt mean we have to be tree huggers... just responsible adults.

I also respect Cave's position on preparedness, the one thing I like about this forum is were all respectful of individual's thinking.... This deesnt mean I wont try to convince Cave that he needs sixty years of food and millions of rounds of ammo, but if he doesnt do that I have no ill regard toward him.

I know were all like minded, but we dont all have to conform to certain standards to feel like members... and thats one of the things I like about this forum and the membership.

And now, back to the thread subject...

EB

LUNCHBOX
03-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Got the fishing rods out over the weekend to get them ready so l can load up the freezer when this weather breaks. Marked my corners for the garden.

bacpacker
03-13-2014, 01:37 AM
CS, no disrespect intended. My Smart ass comes out every now and then. :)
I agree that man has polluted most everything around. Mostly in the pursuit of money. I also agree that we should try to lessen our impact as much as we can. All our scraps are either composted or feed to the chickens. Everything possible is reused till it's used up. For example, when i change oil, it gets saved, filtered, and reused in the chainsaw as bar oil. Any wood scraps from projects go to heat the house. Metal is saved for other projects. IMO the greatest conservationist/stewards in the world are farmers and hunters. Without it, they will produce little or nothing at all. Climate change is a real thing, like I said before it's been going on for many years and will continue as long as the planet exists.
Prep on.

mitunnelrat
03-13-2014, 02:53 AM
I see I'm not the only one thinking about fishing. It won't be too much longer and I'll be out trying my luck for some Whitefish or Salmon. I haven't done that for a few years, but its so close to school, and I have time before class on a couple days...

We got a spring teaser this week, but then another huge dump of snow today. It really is starting to feel like getting shit on.

ak474u
03-13-2014, 03:09 AM
I see I'm not the only one thinking about fishing. It won't be too much longer and I'll be out trying my luck for some Whitefish or Salmon. I haven't done that for a few years, but its so close to school, and I have time before class on a couple days...

We got a spring teaser this week, but then another huge dump of snow today. It really is starting to feel like getting shit on.

Y'all are tougher than me, I can't understand how people live in deserts, or places where it gets really cold. I like to visit, but I just couldn't live in either one. All of my fruit trees are flowering out, so if it freezes again, we're screwed.

Caveman Survival
03-13-2014, 03:48 AM
Ak.... You'd hate it here then.. We earn the nickname winterpeg.

@bacpacker no disrespect taken. My response to you was a sly jab which somewhere turned into a vent about those (not you) who dismiss climate change and global warming and pin some kind of tree hugging conspiracy on lefty's and their pandering to the green energy contingent. As I have said before and will continue to preach until I die... Left and right only care about who's contributions will carry them politically forward. And while donations and hefty board appointments come there way, it's the people who suffer from their exploitation of our world. Many greens have a twisted outlook on what is safe viable energy as well.... But that's a discussion for another time or another thread. I'll stop hijacking this one... For now hehehe

bacpacker
03-13-2014, 12:28 PM
Ak.... You'd hate it here then.. We earn the nickname winterpeg.

@bacpacker no disrespect taken. My response to you was a sly jab which somewhere turned into a vent about those (not you) who dismiss climate change and global warming and pin some kind of tree hugging conspiracy on lefty's and their pandering to the green energy contingent. As I have said before and will continue to preach until I die... Left and right only care about who's contributions will carry them politically forward. And while donations and hefty board appointments come there way, it's the people who suffer from their exploitation of our world. Many greens have a twisted outlook on what is safe viable energy as well.... But that's a discussion for another time or another thread. I'll stop hijacking this one... For now hehehe

Left/Right, different sides of the same coin!

The fishing bug is hitting here to. 70s Sunday bout did me in. Then we got a dusting of snow last night. Back in the sixtys this weekend. Glad my fruit trees havent bloom yet.

LUNCHBOX
03-16-2014, 01:27 AM
Took the dog out hiking with his pack today....it was really a ploy to get my girls in the woods, and maybe myself a little also. Either way they all did great.

bacpacker
03-16-2014, 02:11 AM
Wife and I took a day and went on a hike ourselves. Great day, not too cool, not too warm, only saw three folks. Couldn't ask for much better. Nice to take a break from cutting trees and before the garden gets started.

ElevenBravo
03-16-2014, 02:36 AM
Daughter and I completed a hunter safety course so we can get our hunting licences later and.... yup, go hunting!

EB

Stormfeather
03-16-2014, 03:17 AM
Worked up the time to take a couple of bows down to the local archery shop and set them up for bow-fishing. It wasnt as costly as I thought it would be, and its actually pretty simple. Draw them down to a lightest weight possible, add a bow reel and line to them, a couple of fishing tips, and you are good to go. All I need now is a boat!

helomech
03-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Worked up the time to take a couple of bows down to the local archery shop and set them up for bow-fishing. It wasnt as costly as I thought it would be, and its actually pretty simple. Draw them down to a lightest weight possible, add a bow reel and line to them, a couple of fishing tips, and you are good to go. All I need now is a boat!

Used to bow fish a lot when I lived in south Louisiana.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/home/DSC00790.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/home/DSC00790.jpg.html)

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/home/DSC00787.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/home/DSC00787.jpg.html)

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/home/DSC00793-1.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/home/DSC00793-1.jpg.html)

bacpacker
03-19-2014, 01:27 AM
Meet a neighbor tonight that lives on the plot behind us. His property is all wooded and house on the far side. Had never saw anyone out before. Anyway I was out back working and he had come out to try out his new AR. He saw me after he fired five rounds and was all apologetic. Seems like a nice guy, hoping he is someone that can be counted on. Time will tell.

Metrocruiser
03-19-2014, 07:21 AM
I got 40 ten round stripper clips for my sks. Loaded them up and put them into some of those deck screw boxes from Home Depot. Fits pretty good.

Caveman Survival
03-21-2014, 02:29 AM
Dehydrating, dehydrating, dehydrating. And checking out a one acre plot outside of the city

Sniper-T
03-21-2014, 10:24 PM
buying shotgun shells lots and lots of shotgun shells!

helomech
03-21-2014, 11:12 PM
Getting my little 16X16 dirt garden going.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/home/IMG_3104_zps1a7e1bd2.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/home/IMG_3104_zps1a7e1bd2.jpg.html)

doing it the hard way, no tiller that will fit inside the raised bed.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/home/IMG_3105_zps975310de.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/home/IMG_3105_zps975310de.jpg.html)

ElevenBravo
03-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Daughter and I got our hunting licences today! Went ahead and added National Forest to it...

EB

bacpacker
03-21-2014, 11:34 PM
You da man Helo!

ak474u
03-22-2014, 12:32 AM
Planted 80 stuttgarter onion slips. Finished another raised bed, turned compost, almost all of my strawberries are D-E-D DEAD, so I'll replace those after next week since we'll be in the low 30s again next week. I've got 100 plants waiting to go in the beds that I'm scared to death to plant.

helomech
03-22-2014, 12:49 AM
Did your strawberries freeze? Mine are doing good in the greenhouse.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/home/1970565_3998060606160_1214203552_n_zps5f2e9f4f.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/home/1970565_3998060606160_1214203552_n_zps5f2e9f4f.jpg .html)

ak474u
03-22-2014, 02:27 AM
Did your strawberries freeze? Mine are doing good in the greenhouse.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/home/1970565_3998060606160_1214203552_n_zps5f2e9f4f.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/home/1970565_3998060606160_1214203552_n_zps5f2e9f4f.jpg .html)

Yes they froze, AND... I hate you. Lol. There was only so much I could do, they're in PVC towers in the ground. I covered with burlap, and shielded from the wind, but it didn't work out.

bacpacker
03-22-2014, 03:05 AM
We planted 10lbs of cut Kennebac potatos. It gave us 4 rows. 2 rows of Yellow storage onion sets. 1 row of red, white, & yellow onion slips. 1 row of beets, 1 row split between parsnips and carrots. 3 horse radish roots.
Dam I'm tired.

Helo, is that a "Claw" you are using, or a digging fork?

ak474u
03-22-2014, 03:15 AM
We planted 10lbs of cut Kennebac potatos. It gave us 4 rows. 2 rows of Yellow storage onion sets. 1 row of red, white, & yellow onion slips. 1 row of beets, 1 row split between parsnips and carrots. 3 horse radish roots.
Dam I'm tired.

My kennebec taters are finally starting to come up. My Yukon golds, and reds are up and doing well. I've got about 9 kennebecs up so far, probably 30 left.

helomech
03-22-2014, 12:41 PM
Yes they froze, AND... I hate you. Lol. There was only so much I could do, they're in PVC towers in the ground. I covered with burlap, and shielded from the wind, but it didn't work out.

That sucks. Mine are just starting to get ripe, my son got to the one in the pic before I did. Almost hurt him for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Dam I'm tired.

Heck not sure. It has 4 big tines that are twisted on the outside, and 3 small tines inside.

Sniper-T
03-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Helo, you are using one of these:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/garden-claw-0592610p.html

and you should be using one of these:
http://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/MultiSystem/MultiEngine-MM-55/2633-1601/MM-55.aspx

I have the attachment for my brushcutter and use it in all my raised beds!

helomech
03-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Yes, that is the one I am using. Wish I had the other one. I got the rest of it done, then threw some chicken scratch in there and let the chickens in . They are doing a hell of a job digging around in there right now. Just going to rake it back where I want it when they are done. Then plant.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/home/IMG_3107_zps757df1bf.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/home/IMG_3107_zps757df1bf.jpg.html)

FL-Jeeper
03-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Got ready to transplant lettuce seedlings & taking a stab at hydroponics this year. Last year our lettuce got blasted on the south side of the house. Now we're on the north side under some large oaks that will provide partial shade. http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/rock_scott/20140323_114350_zpsa14ad9b6.jpg

ElevenBravo
03-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Daughter and I exercised our hunting licences yesterday by going Pigeon hunting... Didnt see any, nor did I expect to... it was more about walking the field with a loaded gun for her, practicing hunter safety.. we also had some lessons on "tactical movement" utilizing hand signals, taking a knee, watching the six, etc.. Also a little learning on the GPS.

Today we went back to Haven WMA to hike on the Bradshaw side... Went in, hiked up... made a little fire, ate a Cliff bar, relaxed and hiked back to the hard top from a different path... My Dakota 20 has topo loaded on it so it was easy to calculate location and distance.

I hope to have pix and video up later...

EB

helomech
03-24-2014, 12:02 AM
15 baby rabbits born today. 7 from 1 female, and 8 from another. Have 2 more does that might have babies in the next day or so.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/animals/IMG_3109_zpsedf91050.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/animals/IMG_3109_zpsedf91050.jpg.html)

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/animals/IMG_3110_zps906fba86.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/animals/IMG_3110_zps906fba86.jpg.html)

Stormfeather
03-24-2014, 05:06 AM
Planted carrots and peppers last week, got a few sprouts showing, so im excited! Unlike the rest of you folks, we still have snow and ice on the ground, so I cant even think of putting stuff outside yet!

tystone48
03-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Finished our 20 x30 above ground bed already have tomsto plants ip in green house and they are already ft tall...not going to put in gsrden bed yet..still waiting on mr freeze again..re uped on heirloom seeds again and they are getting high on the dollar..I used all seeds collected from last year ..so seed bank looking good. Also made some jerky both deer and beef about 50 lbs of meat before dehydrating. Food prices are souring !! Also looking into some rabbit's this year, I found a field of timothy hay to contract this summer..figure I might same a little on rabbit feed, I normaly put up about 400 bale a year for the horse..so looking good for rabbits

LUNCHBOX
03-28-2014, 11:33 PM
Added a couple hundred more songs to the mp player. Walked in to Wally-World and they had (l said "had" right) 7 boxes of 9mm. Chatted with the older gentleman for a few then he let me get all 7 boxes. Very nice. Went fishing and put a couple dozen nice sized Bluegill in the freezer. Not a bad weekend.

Kodiak
03-29-2014, 11:58 AM
I heard that wallyworld stopped the 3 boxes of ammo per customer rule.

LUNCHBOX
03-29-2014, 12:13 PM
^^^Not sure about all the locations, l was up by Northgate and it still had the sign.

And.....don't you have some work to do? Lol.

Stormfeather
03-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Our WallyWorld still has the 3 box limit, but they have plenty in stock, so go figure. Its finally going to get over 40 degrees today, so looking forward to that! My carrots started growing, and they are about 2 inches tall and the peppers started breaking ground, not bad for a weeks work!

Kodiak
03-29-2014, 05:06 PM
^^^Not sure about all the locations, l was up by Northgate and it still had the sign.

And.....don't you have some work to do? Lol.

I'm hard at it as usual...

The wallyworld in Oxford wasn't doing the 3 box rule, as of last week.

Stormfeather
04-03-2014, 09:23 AM
My wallyworld here in wisconsin took down their 3 box rule as well.

helomech
04-05-2014, 01:18 AM
Rolled up the sides on my greenhouse. Going to roll them up higher, then cover with shade cloth.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/aquaponics/IMG_3121_zpsfc8ce91a.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/aquaponics/IMG_3121_zpsfc8ce91a.jpg.html)

Built 8 more rabbit cages and moved the 4H rabbits to them. They will be gone next week. They are all just under 5 lbs, which is the cut off weight.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/animals/IMG_3122_zps71d649d0.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/animals/IMG_3122_zps71d649d0.jpg.html)

And here are the babies that where born last week.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/animals/IMG_3125_zps51edbab4.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/animals/IMG_3125_zps51edbab4.jpg.html)

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/animals/IMG_3124_zps8448328f.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/helomech1973/media/animals/IMG_3124_zps8448328f.jpg.html)

Stormfeather
04-05-2014, 02:57 AM
So how hard is it to raise those rabbits past the initial investment? They would be an awesome source of protein!

helomech
04-05-2014, 03:03 AM
So how hard is it to raise those rabbits past the initial investment? They would be an awesome source of protein!

Not hard at all. We automatic water, so just feed once a day. If gone for more than a day just put a lot of feed out. Then when ready to breed, just move the female to the male (not the other way) make sure they are successful and wait 28 days. They can be eaten as soon as they weaned off the mom. We just took the babies off the mom and they are almost 5 lbs. We usually fatten them up a little more than that, but a couple months at most.

Rabbit meat is VERY high in protein. 6 oz has 42 grams of protein. Way more than any other meat I have looked into.

ak474u
04-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Replaced my dead onions that got froze out, (only about 15) cut off the hail damage on the other onions, hey got the crap kicked out of them, as well as 2 of our 16 different breeds of maters. My potato leaves have some tiny holes from the hail, but have grown 2 inches since the 2.5" rain we had the other day. We've got 2 more beds ready to plant maybe next weekend, its supposed to rain and be 50* here tomorrow, so that will have to wait. We lost our squash and cucumbers but we'll be replacing those as well. We just waited too long to plant them. Melons go in next week too.

ElevenBravo
04-06-2014, 12:33 AM
Been practicing pretty hard with my Laserlyte trainer... Finding the best grip and trigger squeeze for *ME*... Ive refined it down quite a bit... I think im onto something good, will go to range tomorrow and give live a try...

EB

mitunnelrat
04-11-2014, 01:09 AM
Got my first chainsaw today. A Stihl with an 18" bar. Not the smallest, definitely not the largest, but a size I can safeley handle as I get used to running one. Dad's gonna have me run his large pro series after a bit of time on mine so I can feel and appreciate the difference.

Also ordered some Crossbreed IWB gear for my Shield today, but the saw has me more excited! Lol :D

Sniper-T
04-11-2014, 11:27 AM
That's awesome MTR! That's a great saw, and I'm sure you'll get many years of reliable use out of it. Just remember, don't touch the spinny parts!
lol

Sniper-T
04-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Bought 60#'s of chicken yesterday (10 whole ones) and 10#'s of bacon from some local Hutterites. Broke the chicken down into breasts and thighs packaged and froze. Got a big bag of wings ready for the bbq. got one whole bird in a brine, ready to smoke tomorrow. Boiled up all the carcasses, to freeze as stock, and to make into bullion.