PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to prep this week?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

mitunnelrat
05-06-2011, 04:29 AM
This could be an item you've bought, or an action you've taken. It doesn't have to be anything you've completed. Just something you've made advances in.

For instance. So far this week I've been reconfiguring my MOLLE gear, I've made steps forward in convincing my future wife to relocate. I replaced an emergency poncho in my GHB with my USGI type (due to reading an evac story where the former shredded quickly under high winds and heavy rain), and I ordered a countycomm EOD Breacher Bar. Finally, I'm looking into guerrilla gardening techniques for growing a few things at work.

alaska
05-06-2011, 01:37 PM
bought a small back packer stove for the bag. 20 bucks at sportsman warehouse

bacpacker
05-06-2011, 01:50 PM
This week has all been gardening related. Repurchased tomato, pepper, cabbage plants to replace the damaged stuff. Hope to replant this weekend.
Hoe'd and dusted what's left of the taters and harvested some onion's.
Picked up 2 cases of 1/2 gallon mason jars. A 15 gallon metal washtub, and a 12 gallon metal bucket with lid for chicken feed.
Gonna build a bigger box to keep the chicks in until they go into the chicken tractor.

izzyscout21
05-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Ordered an FN FNP 45 Tactical
Tried to replant most of my garden.
Started saving and filtering bacon grease.

alpmco
05-06-2011, 02:56 PM
I added a second deep cycle (well, Advance Auto Parts marine) battery to my backup power supply. This power supply will run some lights, the computer, my radio equipment and a fan and CPAP.
I have them hooked to a quality marine battery charger that runs of the 120V grid ... I want to replace this charger with solar. I considered a windmill but I'm surrounded by big oaks. I'm not able to get the unit up high enough to assure a daily charge.
I would like to see other peoples ideas for emergency back up power. Right now I have the two batteries wired to office run my ham gear and an inverter to power the desktop computer and printers or to conserve power use the laptop. I also run a DC line to the bedroom and another inverter to to run a light, fan and CPAP. I wired most of this when I rebuilt that part of the house. I wish I had understood wire size requirements of DC circuits before I put in the drywall. I used 12 ga and the voltage drop when I keyed up the radio was unacceptable. So I had to move the batteries from the garage to a battery box I built on the outside wall of my office and run 8ga wire from the from the battery box. The 12ga was ok to the bedroom.

alpmco
05-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Started saving and filtering bacon grease.
I always save bacon grease. I have to have it to cook properly! Being in the Boy Scouts has a great advantage ... the scouts always cook bacon on camp outs. I can almost fill a mayonaise jar if all the patrols cook bacon. I rarely get any grease from the adult patrol. We just divide the grease up and use it with our eggs and hash browns. When camping watching cholesterol is not as important as staying regular!

ak474u
05-07-2011, 01:50 AM
I re-organized and re-planned my maxpedition Jumbo pack GHB - figured out a few things I need to make it a more practical carry every day, although it does ride shotgun on trips, it spends lots of time in the trunk during the day, I need a MOLLE shooting glasses case, and some type of organizer for the inside to make things more accessible than they are now. This bag doubles as a range bag most of the time, AND i frequently need my cheapo protective eyewear/shooting glasses at work, so a MOLLE case is pretty necessary.

I bought more x39 ammo, and packed it into my famous 120 rnd. food saver battle packs labeled and dated them and put them in ammo cans.

Shopped a little for a .22 pocket pistol replacement for the one I carry now, pretty much settled on the beretta bobcat, or taurus pt22 I encounter lots of dogs on the job, and want something super discreet that customers won't notice while I'm in their homes.

Lots of vehicle maintenance starts tomorrow, on wife's car, and the BOV which has a steering shaft recall, if you have an old body style Nissan Xterra, call the stealership, give them your VIN, and get'er fixed for free (if covered).

bacpacker
05-07-2011, 02:43 AM
Shopped a little for a .22 pocket pistol replacement for the one I carry now, pretty much settled on the beretta bobcat, or taurus pt22.

AK I got a Bobcat .22 for the wife back in the 90's. It has never failed to shoot for us. Great little pocket pistol.
Made a run to Sams for some food stocks, ziplocs, drink mixes, tp & other stuff. Also stopped by B&N ( I'm a book whore, Ok tool, gear, I guess just a whore), anyway I ran across a new magazine I had to get. Survivalist ! I haven't got to look thru it yet, but this issue, which is #2, appears to be mostly on weapons. I'll give a better report after I get a chance to look thru it. At first glance it reminded me of the old American Survival Guide mag, which I really enjoied reading.

mitunnelrat
05-07-2011, 03:42 AM
Lots of vehicle maintenance starts tomorrow, on wife's car, and the BOV which has a steering shaft recall, if you have an old body style Nissan Xterra, call the stealership, give them your VIN, and get'er fixed for free (if covered).

Good point on the vehicle maintenance. I just dropped my Bravada off for repairs today. The pitman/ idler arms, steering gear box, EGR valve, and the oil coolant lines are all getting replaced. That's the major stuff. Once I get it back I'll have to put new tires on and get an alignment. Minor repairs are new door bushing for the driver's door, and hopefully he can repair the mounting point and replace the driver's side lift arm (piston?) to my hatch. That one froze, broke the mount, and blew through the top of my hatch... yet noone knows how/ when that could have happened.

The Stig
05-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Honestly, most of my prepping has consisted of getting the house put back together after the move.

Most of what I've done prep wise has been oriented towards organizing gear and trying to store it in some efficient manner. It's a good exercise actually.

mitunnelrat
05-11-2011, 08:01 PM
I belive Dr. Stephen Covey would call that "sharpening the saw", Stig. Its the 7th of "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" ;) Organization is one of my weakest points right now, since I don't have a permanent home for too many things yet.

bacpacker
05-12-2011, 02:33 AM
Saturday we replanted most of our garden and put our watering system in the tomato and peppers.
Tonight I organized a bunch of our storage food into some new totes for easy handling and storage of everything in one place.
I got a bright idea to put some meds, anti dirreha, benadryl mortrin and a couple flashlights in several of the totes. I've had stuff scattered around and have been needing to organize it much better.

ak474u
05-15-2011, 11:13 PM
I did a ton of maintenance to both cars this week, on my Xterra we did, new belts, tire rotation, power steering hoses, and a new lower line for the ac and a recharge, as well as oil change, and a new cabin filter. On the Honda, we did: Synthetic oil change, rear brakes, power steering flush, coolant flush, transmission service, tire rotation. Not true preps but important for my long term budget, the ability to actually carry my gear if SHTF, and get to work to buy more preps, AND peace of mind that my wife is driving a safe and well maintained car with the baby on board.

re-organized the inside the house toolbox, which makes room for things that are currently in kitchen drawers or the laundry room, (This toolbox has picture hangers, hammer, pliers, a small level, screws, screwdrivers, Ikea furniture tools, and other stuff I'd use on a weekly basis) While doing that I realized that there was stuff that can go back to the big craftsman in the storage room down the hall, and some stuff that could be put in the truck toolbox. So... I ended up emptying out the toolbox for the truck, threw out some stuff that I have no idea how it got there, and washed it out and dried it, now I'm in the process of re-organizing it too. which is going to lead to me re-organizing the ammo can that's bolted to the top of my truck vault which holds bungee cords, tow rope and ratchet tie downs as well as cargo nets for adding a load on top of the truck in the event I'm bugging out and need the roof space.

Next week, I gotta find some more ammo cans, as the ammo has outgrown it's living quarters. The place I usually use, has a few left but they look like they've been underwater, and I don't feel like refurbing cans. Norhtern tool usually has them but has been out lately.

The Stig
05-15-2011, 11:30 PM
I did a ton of maintenance to both cars this week, on my Xterra we did, new belts, tire rotation, power steering hoses, and a new lower line for the ac and a recharge, as well as oil change, and a new cabin filter. On the Honda, we did: Synthetic oil change, rear brakes, power steering flush, coolant flush, transmission service, tire rotation. Not true preps but important for my long term budget, the ability to actually carry my gear if SHTF, and get to work to buy more preps, AND peace of mind that my wife is driving a safe and well maintained car with the baby on board.

I would argue that taking steps now to avoid/mitigate SHTF events down the road is the essence of prepping.

Prepping is not all about putting supplies on a shelf.

bacpacker
05-16-2011, 12:25 AM
I would argue that not maintaining your vehicles is somewhat irresponsible. You will have breakdowns at the worst possible moment if you don't. I have to have a vehicle I can depend on to get me back and forth to work and to other places I need to go. Same with the wife. It does suck having to maintain 2 cars, but you gotta if you use them.

Today I went to the local gun show and picked up a Isreli trauma bandage. I also got 100 rds of 147gr 9mm hollow points, 200 rds of 180Gr .308, & 400 rds of 55Gr .223. I also sold the SKS I had. First time I've ever sold one of my guns, but I decided to get rid of it since I didn't want to have to build a stock of another caliber right now. I was never crazy about it and felt like I would be better off stocking more for what I already have been working on.

I also picked up another oil lamp and another quart of lamp oil. Also got a package of wicks for it. Picked up another package of Esbit stove fuel.

alpmco
05-16-2011, 12:34 AM
Well, sometimes it is the little things in life. I took a couple hours and sharpened two of my axes. I tried to use one yesterday and it was like a butter knife on a stick. Took awhile to find my good file and my axe stone. Still needs some work but at least it now cuts instead of bludgeoning the wood to pieces.

mitunnelrat
05-16-2011, 03:44 AM
Well, sometimes it is the little things in life. I took a couple hours and to duracoat two of my axes pink to match my costume. I tried to use one yesterday and it was like a butter knife on a stick with that thick -like good bacon is- new finsih. Took awhile to find my good file and my axe stone so I could sharpen them. Still needs some work but at least it now cuts instead of bludgeoning the wood to pieces.

Fixed it for ya! ;)

And yes, sometimes it is the little things!

mitunnelrat
05-16-2011, 04:25 PM
I picked up my breacher bar today and got some orange 550 cord to wrap the handle. I also got a new pair of boots since the surplus store had some in my size. Goodbye black, hello tan! Good stuff!

beginner
05-17-2011, 07:56 PM
I heard gas was going up 6 cents per liter in the next day or so (this was last week) So, topped up the Escape and all my Gerry cans....

And, the usual extra cans of food (Safeway had a special on soup, case of 12 for 4.99!!! Picked up tomato, Chicken noodle and vegetable) and case of water while grocery shopping. But, that has become habit now.

The Stig
05-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Made the downpayment on hurricane shutters for the house.

I'm sure the locals are laughing at the dumb Yankee but I have my reasons for the investment:
Better protection
Wife can install if I'm out of town for work
Less install time means we can help my in-laws who will need assistance
Easier to store
I don't have to run to store like a maniac looking for plywood
Don't have to spend an entire day cutting plywood
The construction of my home does not lend itself to plywood use on the rear of the house (the one that would most likely face the storm)

mitunnelrat
05-20-2011, 10:41 PM
That "dumb Yankee" cover is probably one of the best assets you can play on for a bit ;) It will explain away a lot of "strange" behavior I'd guess. Good call on the shutters btw.

alaska
05-20-2011, 10:49 PM
I finally joined a food warehouse. SAMS. they had a membership drive. cost me 20 bucks for a year. I havnt gone to them or costco in around 5 years. was just never impressed with them. They kinda suck up here to start with compared to some I have been in in the lower 48.
funny thing is i can get a refund for it if done beore a year is up soooooo theoretically I could utulize it for most of the time then get my 20 bucks back

anyways we will see what kind of deals I can find. I will probably lean towards, Tp/paper products and toiletries in general.

bacpacker
05-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Nice call on the shutters Stig. I've been giving thought to buying plywood and pre=cutting everything I need. Predrill the holes to mount them as well. I have several windows and some of them 3 stories up, so it will take time to get them up. Having as much of the work done before hand will have to be a good thing IMO.

RedJohn
05-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Made the downpayment on hurricane shutters for the house.

I'm sure the locals are laughing at the dumb Yankee but I have my reasons for the investment:
Better protection
Wife can install if I'm out of town for work
Less install time means we can help my in-laws who will need assistance
Easier to store
I don't have to run to store like a maniac looking for plywood
Don't have to spend an entire day cutting plywood
The construction of my home does not lend itself to plywood use on the rear of the house (the one that would most likely face the storm)

If the locals are laughing at you, they are the dumb one. This is one of the smartest thing you could do by buying these shutters. I am always laughing myself when a witness in a state like the state of Florida people running for the stores to buy plywood and groceries but just a few hours away from a hurricane. I have always said that if I was to buy a house in a hurricane prone state than my first purchase would be shutters. For that matter, shutters could be used for other situations like a riot or anything that would need to to prevent access through the windows. It is definitely a smart investment.

What you are doing is the essence of prepping!

damienstoy
05-21-2011, 11:39 AM
If the locals are laughing at you, they are the dumb one. This is one of the smartest thing you could do by buying these shutters. I am always laughing myself when a witness in a state like the state of Florida people running for the stores to buy plywood and groceries but just a few hours away from a hurricane. I have always said that if I was to buy a house in a hurricane prone state than my first purchase would be shutters. For that matter, shutters could be used for other situations like a riot or anything that would need to to prevent access through the windows. It is definitely a smart investment.

I agree... and even though I'm not in a coastal area, I'd love to get some of those for my new place (when I find it). I would sleep much more soundly knowing nobody could get into the house while I'm either sleeping or away for the day.

This week has been a trip... getting the daughters straightened out, and helping my sister with her preps, as she lives about three hours from here.

RedJohn
05-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Actually, in France, most houses and apartments are fit with some kind of wood, metal or plastic shutters. People close them every night or when they leave.

To see some samples : Google Photo Search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1440&bih=758&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=volets+en+bois&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=volets+en)

beginner
05-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Ugh.... well, for the long weekend I prepped by picking up a few t-bones, 24 pack, and some veggies for bbq'ing. (Yellow and orange peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, baby corn, red onion, garlic cloves mixed in olive oil bbq'd then mixed with feta cheese, yum! Then baby potatoes wrapped in tinfoil with a 1/4 stick of butter thrown in.... Quite tasty.

bacpacker
05-22-2011, 02:07 AM
What time is supper? Bet I done missed it.

alaska
05-22-2011, 02:28 AM
Ugh.... well, for the long weekend I prepped by picking up a few t-bones, 24 pack, and some veggies for bbq'ing. (Yellow and orange peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, baby corn, red onion, garlic cloves mixed in olive oil bbq'd then mixed with feta cheese, yum! Then baby potatoes wrapped in tinfoil with a 1/4 stick of butter thrown in.... Quite tasty.

why is this not in the recipe thread slacker?:P

The Stig
05-23-2011, 12:17 AM

Dang...that sounds familiar. :cool:

LUNCHBOX
05-23-2011, 01:01 AM
I picked up a "free to good home" horse for a friend who has a single horse and needs a pasture buddy. I picked up a (new in the package) 5 mile solar panel ($140), 1/4 mile wire ($40), wire grips/connectors x4 ($40), mounts/cable ($40) and battery ($45) for $100.00 from the same people that didn't need it without the horse (not sure why they didn't just return it, of course I did not ask though)--now I just need to figure out what else I can do with it since I have electric fencing now

alaska
05-23-2011, 01:13 AM
I planted more strawberries today and also some kolarabi

brayden
05-23-2011, 02:27 AM
i started my garden this week. it's my first real garden. that counts as prepping, right?

alaska
05-23-2011, 03:25 AM
HELL yes it does, congrats

beginner
05-23-2011, 06:55 AM
why is this not in the recipe thread slacker?:P

Uhhh... oops.... I'll go post it over there... :P

AlphaTea
05-23-2011, 08:49 AM
I put up another 50lbs rice. Bought 100lb Spring wheat. This week I plan on rotating (drain/fill) 4 55gal water barrels.

LUNCHBOX
05-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Finally got the garden area plowed.....SON OOOOOOOF A Big deal to since it has rained every other day or more since April. I thought I was going to just fill the basement with dirt and lighting for a while.....lol. I used to have a smaller back yard type garden, I went big this time, going to try our luck at canning.

LUNCHBOX
05-30-2011, 02:47 AM
Also just picked up 18 more chickens. Its on now.

ak474u
05-30-2011, 06:07 AM
Did more re-arranging on the GHB, picked up a semi-rigid condor case for my shooting glasses, picked up a Condor BDU
pocket organizer for little goodies in the GHB, (Lighters, allen wrench for my light stick, small multi-tool, zippo flints, small notepad etc.) Getting all the small stuff into one pouch opened up room for one more Clif Bar in my versipack, these get rotated pretty often since the GHB rides shotgun every day, but it's one more snack if I gotta walk.

Went to The New Cheaper Than Dirt Guns in McKinney, TX It's a really nice gun store, and they have lots and lots of MOLLE gear, I really only buy small pouches for specific things there, but they have a good selection. I added a few things to the next trip's shopping list while I was there too.

Wife clipped coupons all week... Got a ton of household goodies, but lots of storage stuff too. approx 3 months supply of diapers for the stinky little kid, 116 rolls of TP, Paper towels, Cat food, 76lbs cat litter, lots of coffee, lots of gatorade (I spend my summer in people's attics doing estimates for insulation, don't wanna die) Wife is getting pretty good, we saved 80 bucks on 168.00 worth of stuff, every time she does that puts me closer to getting her a new pistol, she just doesn't know that yet.

bacpacker
05-30-2011, 04:26 PM
I picked up 2 more 5gal gas cans and bought and treated 15 gallons of gas since the price dropped a little biut (3.57). 3 new totes for food and gear storage. 50 lbs of chicken feed, case of grease tubes for the grease gun. Went to the knife store yesterday and got a army feild book on map reading and land navigation, a different style fire starter with a watertight storage container for fire tender and a small button compass inside.
Tilled and howed the garden spot.

LUNCHBOX
05-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Put half a cow and a whole hog in the freezer for my dinner in the last couple weeks....lol. Picked up 100 lbs of chicken feed (bi-weekly) I am also pulling around a dozen eggs a day so the chickens are paying to feed themselves (thats so nice I will let them a little longer) I will be picking up 2 more cows in the next month also.

pitbullnga
05-31-2011, 12:30 AM
This week was "go out on a limb" time. A good co-worker asked a curiousity question and i laid down some information he had never heard of or even considered about his day to day life. Needless to say, he has been awakened from the sheeple land he used to graze and is all excited about prepping. So i guess i added to my preps by enlightening him to plan ahead. One less mouth i have to worry about needing a handout.

bacpacker
05-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Excellent job pit bull. That's always a nice step.

I had company from out of state this weekend and didn't get anything accomplished around the house. However spent considerable time discussing world events and our reactions toward them. Found out they had prepped for Y2K, but hadn't done anything since (still have the supplies) and sounded like they are getting back at it. The lady did tell me she has a son in Fl who is definatly a prepper. If I can get contact info to him, he will be invited to look this site over.

izzyscout21
06-01-2011, 01:56 PM
put up some more canned goods.
put up about 6 more gallons of stored water
500 rounds of Hornady TAP 9mm
500 rounds Hornady TAP .45

clipped coupons with the wife

most importantly.....

didn't get into my Twinkie stash.....

Fatty
06-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Weapons maintenance.

The Stig
06-04-2011, 08:30 PM
I just emailed the manager of the local county emergency management organization to ask what sort of opportunities existed for CERT or for a civilian to volunteer to help with local emergency management stuff. Also asked about any civilian participation in search & rescue efforts. We get a lot of lost canoes and hikers in these parts.

Partly I'd like to do it as a way to support the community. Partly it's a way to gain skills, build contacts, understand the politics in the area, etc.

izzyscout21
06-04-2011, 08:54 PM
cleaned the car out again.........holy crap.....

found 4 msa milennium mask filters still sealed in the plastic SCORE!
now i just need the mask

The Stig
06-04-2011, 10:58 PM
I "found" 500 rounds of M855 once. Just had no idea it was laying around on the ammo pile till I got to looking at it one day.

So I understand your score!

Stg1swret
06-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Rebuilt my first aid kit.

LUNCHBOX
06-09-2011, 02:18 AM
Picked up a Coleman 2 burner lantern w/2 1 lb. bottles, extra mantels and plastic case for $15.00 and a nice like new large Jansport exterior frame backpack (at work and can't remember the model name) and another one in great shape that I will have to take look at and add the name later, both for $30.00--I felt pretty good on the way home this morning.

bacpacker
06-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Cleaning out a large closet this weekend. Been trying to get the prep storage set up better. i sorted everything as it came out, relabled before it went back in, and my god you can't beleive the pile o crap gettin toosed.

I found a bunch of first aid supplies, lite sticks, 2 boxes of 00 buck for the shotgun, and almost 1000 rds of 9mm. SWEET.
I was able to fit all our backpacking gear, food stocks, first aid gear, and food production (kitchen) supplies packed out. And I still have room for our BOB's.

Pantry is next.

Fatty
06-16-2011, 04:53 PM
100 rds .40 and a lensatic compass.

Grumpy Old Man
06-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Organized my local area 7 1/2 minute topo maps (about 200). Reset the declination on my Brunton pocket transit. And I went through 2 duffle bags a friend gave me Monday- scored 3 steel Korean war vintage canteens with covers, 1 with the cup; 3 shelter halves, 2 Korean war era web canteen belts, 2 small backpacks of the same era, 19 steel tent stakes an about 40 feet of 1/2" sisal rope. And continued to research my tomato leaf curling issues.

mitunnelrat
06-17-2011, 07:40 AM
Just ordered a C-A-T Holder to replace the bungee currently holding it to my IFAK. Its my first Father's Day gift ever. Pretty cool.

piranha2
06-19-2011, 02:29 AM
Ordered another 1K of 7.62x39. Be here next week. Trying to decide on Wolf 5.56 or not. Do not mind running wolf through the AK, but the AR is another thing.

AlphaTea
06-19-2011, 03:06 AM
Ordered another 1K of 7.62x39. Be here next week. Trying to decide on Wolf 5.56 or not. Do not mind running wolf through the AK, but the AR is another thing.
I have shot up a few K of Wolf 5.56. Never had a problem with it, mostly used in the Mini-14 and some in the AR-15s. Sometimes I wonder about the 'rep' that wolf has or if I am just setting myself up for failure. I use it for practice only. It is OK by me.

2 more buckets of rice and a case of pintos
All that talk about canned BACON in the other thread, well, I couldn't resist it, I bought another case

bacpacker
06-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Worked on a public service event yesterday. We provided communications for a 115 mile bicycle ride. This ride is in the mountains in very remote area where there are no comms to speak of, cell phone coverage is spotty at best, even in some spots we have little to no comms using ham radio. It's very good practice to come up with the best set up for your personal stations, as well as, repeaters and digipeaters.
The weather was hi 70's- lo 80's for the first 75 miles, which is the point where the hard climbing begins (the ride has elevation changes of 10,000'+ over the length). Within 10 miles the temp started dropping and by the time they got to the top of the climb the temp had dropped into the lo 50's with 35mph constant winds, gusting up to 45-50mph. Along with this was light to moderate rains and heavy fog. Luckily we never had lightning to speak of.
We ended up having to shuffle 50-75 riders down from the top. Most were concerned about the fog, visability ranged between 25-100 yards for several hours. It was hard to tell where the road was, little on see the riders on the road. Some others were hypothermic and their muscles were starting to lock up. The ride organizers had a tent set up for them to get out of the rain and wind, and us hams, were able to get them in our trucks with the heaters going to help them warm. A couple of us also had some space blankets and the folks were very greatful for those.
It made me think it would be very worthwhile to have several of these in multiple places, GHB, BOB, Cars, most anywhere you can think of. They are not needed very often, but are just the ticket on occasion.

Kodiak
06-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Dont know if this counts towards prepping for some, but i just bought a 16ft car trailer. Living within the city limits, ill be bugging out if something bad were to happen. So something to load my gear and supplies on is a plus in my book.

LUNCHBOX
06-20-2011, 07:53 PM
I picked up some more beans (30 lbs total)-and some can goods. 150 rds of .45. I made a small survival tin for Kodiak to carry. I kind of acquired a 16 ft car trailer that Kodiak bought and its at my location. Now I don't have to stuff everything in my horse trailer-lol.

bacpacker
06-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Kodiak I sure think the trailer fits. I have one, mainly to haul the tractor and equipment on. Tractor could go in a bug out, but it will sure hold a t least 4-5 tons of gear easily. I would like to design some kind of sides/rack and top for it. More security and to keep the weather off.

alaska
06-25-2011, 03:08 AM
had garage sale last weekend. go t rid of some junk.
then went and bought a 91-30 and some ammo. I am planning on caching it

TroubleShooter
06-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Converted my packs for summer, bought a backpacking fishing rod/reel..........

The Stig
06-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Had hurricane shutters installed
Began process of reorganizing static supplies on main supply shelf
Built a small retaining wall to shore up the earth near the foundation of the house

piranha2
06-25-2011, 11:49 PM
May have a new bugout plan. Details will be forthcoming as it develops.

bacpacker
06-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Been tryin to get everything settled with the chickens. Putting together initial plan for the coop to be built before long.
Workin in the garden trying to keep weeds down and get mulch out as I can. that'll help with water conservation and to keep the weeds down.
Had to take the wife to nashville airport, we did a little antiquing yesterday. found a good deal on several quarters, both barbers and washingtons, some barber halves, and a mogan dollar. No steals but decent prices.

mitunnelrat
06-26-2011, 03:37 AM
Its been a slow week for me, but I did get out shooting, and decided a Remington 740 I've been working on will get offloaded. It was nasty dirty when I bought it, and has never fired consistently, even after several hours and some intensive cleaning.

RedJohn
06-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Had hurricane shutters installed
Began process of reorganizing static supplies on main supply shelf
Built a small retaining wall to shore up the earth near the foundation of the house

I have a new BOL!!

ak474u
06-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Added 2 36"Wx18"Deepx72" wire shelves to the storage areas, one is strictly food, and frees up the actual pantry of preps other than canned goods in regular rotation, which makes it easier for wife and I to assess what we have, and actually eat it before it goes bad, this is gonna make groceries go farther for us, because things won't get re-bought because we couldn't see it in our dark, narrow pantry. The other is in a walk-in closet, and opens up a ton of space for things that have otherwise been on the closet floor, and vulberable to little hands messing with them, 2 or 3 of the five shelves will be used for gear storage and the rest is baby stuff that currently takes up a much more convenient closet closer to our main living area, that one is shelved up too, we have too much crap.

By the way, Target had these shelves for $34.00 best deal I've seen in a while on wire shelving. They're not industrial grade, but I loaded the heck out of them, and they seem to be fine. I'd call them medium duty.

Kodiak
06-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Went to bass pro yesterday and bought me a Jetboil Flash Cooking System (http://www.basspro.com/Jetboil-Flash-Cooking-System/product/10218860/-1686401). Been wanting one for awhile and finally pulled the trigger on it.

bacpacker
06-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Went to SAMS this am and stocked food supplies, TP, and some OTC meds.

LUNCHBOX
06-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Worked a flea market and picked up some hand tools, watched the wife talk to a Amish lady about baking and trying to get pointers about the control of heat over a open flame for baking...connections being made.

TOOTHPICK
06-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Whites?

piranha2
06-29-2011, 01:32 AM
What?

pitbullnga
07-12-2011, 05:24 AM
printed the emergency preparedness manual by the church of LDS. Dang thing has a wealth of knowledge in it.

mitunnelrat
07-12-2011, 06:27 AM
I ordered a new bladder for my Camelbak, talked a relative into buying me a hardhat for my birthday, and bought some additional OTC meds this week. I've also priced prescription safety goggles.

The Stig
07-12-2011, 03:08 PM
I ordered a new bladder for my Camelbak, talked a relative into buying me a hardhat for my birthday, and bought some additional OTC meds this week. I've also priced prescription safety goggles.

I'm going to have to break down and get my eyes checked to ensure my current prescription is good. Whatever it is, I need to go get some prescription shooting glasses. Wearing my regular glasses with lab ones over it is a surefire way to keep the chicks away.

mitunnelrat
07-12-2011, 03:22 PM
No joke! On top of that, it was uncomfortable when I had to do it in shop classes in high school. If a few hours of light work in a climate controlled environment sucked, 12-16 hours of busting my ass in southern summer heat will be beyond miserable.

LUNCHBOX
07-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Worked a flea market and picked up some hand tools, watched the wife talk to a Amish lady about baking and trying to get pointers about the control of heat over a open flame for baking...connections being made.

Whites?

(Just for information....White's is a flea market in Indiana)- No Toothpick, it was Treasure Isle.

LUNCHBOX
07-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Picked up a Kel-Tec PLR for the wife and 300 more .223 rounds. If she is happy, we are happy.

LUNCHBOX
07-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Picked up a Eotech 553 (pre-issued by US Special Operations Command)--it is nice since it runs on 123 batteries as well as my Surefire 6P. Also picked up a new pair of OTB boots in tan and a few cases of mres'

ak474u
07-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Got a spare mag for my beretta 21a, and 4 20 rd. ak mags at the fun show last week. I really like the way the 20 rounders handle over the 30's and they fit in some of my 30 round AR pouches. bought a box of 50 CR123s from Battery Junction, I was down to 4 from my last shipment, so it was time. I saw a pretty sweet deal on a gun at the gun show, and when I told my wife about it she said "go back and buy it" but as a responsible adult who has already picked up one gun in the last few weeks, I didn't do it. This responsible parent, grown-up crap is getting really old! argh.

RedJohn
07-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Picked up a Eotech 553 (pre-issued by US Special Operations Command)--it is nice since it runs on 123 batteries as well as my Surefire 6P. Also picked up a new pair of OTB boots in tan and a few cases of mres'

I wasn't that impressed by mine. Probably will go back to a red dot system. How does this work for you?

AlphaTea
07-23-2011, 11:33 PM
I wasn't that impressed by mine. Probably will go back to a red dot system. How does this work for you?
I have a Eotech 512 and a XPS2-2. I also have an Aimpoint Comp-C, a Tasco ProPoint, a Strike Fire and a couple of other lesser known brands of holo/red dot optics.
My favorite by far is the Eotech XPS2-2
Closely followed by the StrikeFire...

LUNCHBOX
07-24-2011, 03:23 AM
We will put it to the test. I will thread it in "equipment" and see how we feel.

ak474u
07-30-2011, 08:05 PM
ordered a set of AK200Y tech sights for my Yugo Folder, gonna finally be able to loctite the front sight in place and get it on paper. I had an issue with the front post "walking" up and down when I got it, I spread the ears on the bottom of the post out a little, but haven't had the time to go see if that fixed it or not. Either way, I've been captivated by the thought of lenghtening the sight radius on an AK for a long time, and since they never have them, and I can't afford a krebs system for my Yugo, I'm going with the tech sights. I watched nutnfancy's video of them and they seem nice, my buddy in LA says his yugo tech sights are so solid in the rear trunion that they might as well be welded in, so I'm excited about it, he says the push button detent that is built in to the yugo receiver really makes it super solid.

Range report to follow

bacpacker
07-30-2011, 11:04 PM
The last couple weeks I've picked up a old corn sheller, about $3.75 in pre 64 silver coins, a couple of CKRT knives, & 144 Esbit fuel tabs for my stove, I've found several US Army manuals on Ebook and loaded them on the Kindle.
Got a trip planned to Sams Monday for another food and supply run.

LUNCHBOX
08-02-2011, 05:17 AM
Picked up the misses some bdus in woodland. Didn't like the tops when I was in, don't like them now, won't like them later but they are durable. Also picked up a bag of P-mags, now I have to decide between them or my brown followers.

Fatty
08-04-2011, 10:27 AM
@ backpacker,
If you don't mind me asking, what basic supplies would you recommend from SAMs club? I've been debating becoming a member.

bacpacker
08-04-2011, 11:36 AM
I get quite a bit of different stuff from them. Ziploc bags, contractor garbage bags, tp, beans, rice, noodles, canned goods by the case or #10 cans, bulk spices, peanut butter, canned tuna, chicken, & turkey, kethcup, mustard, olive oil, nuts, drink mixes, coffe, creamer, soaps, paper plates, cups, lots of different OTC meds.
They carry a lot of stuff and most everything is sold in bulk. Beans come in 6lb bags, rice from 10-50 lbs, sugar 25 &50 lbs. For me it's convienent as well. I have never shopped at one but have heard Costco is very similar to sams.

Fatty
08-04-2011, 12:01 PM
cool thanks.

Fatty
08-05-2011, 03:16 AM
went and got my membership and looked around the store with the wife. Didn't see any long term food storage like #10 cans though. I'll probably buy a couple of the first aid kits and get setup with some gamma seal lids to store some rice and beans.

bacpacker
08-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Fatty, our store don't carry LTS food. The #10 cans I was referring to was canned fruit, and can veggies ready to open and cook or eat. We get the fruit and run it through the dehydrator. I have read on other forums that they have some LTS goods to order from their website. I have never looked into that.
I'm sorry if I mislead you on Sams. That sure wasn't my intention.

Fatty
08-06-2011, 02:27 AM
No worries, still a lot of good shit to buy at good prices.

LUNCHBOX
08-06-2011, 02:51 AM
I let a kidney go and picked up a couple dozen canned goods and around 20 lbs of dried beans and rice....jk about the kidney.

ak474u
08-06-2011, 03:02 AM
installed my tech sights on my yugo folder, they look awesome, going to the range sunday

izzyscout21
08-10-2011, 02:12 AM
picked up a 50lb sack of rice from Sam's today.
Stayed up late last night having a gun cleaning party

bacpacker
08-10-2011, 02:26 AM
Put up the last of our corn. We've been picking a qt bag of okra about every 2 days to go in the freezer. Sweet Bell peppers and serrano's going to the freezer. And just a couple days ago picked 10 cantaloupes. Damn they are good. Also got out first watermelon.

LUNCHBOX
08-10-2011, 04:24 AM
Strung around 3 dozen peppers up to let sun dry. I like to do it just for practice, I have been pulling a handful a day off and will dehydrate some also. Been eating tomatoes til my mouth hurts. Melons are looking good. Wife canned a few quarts of beans. Corn is doing good also. Just talking about it makes me want to fire up a steak...

bacpacker
08-10-2011, 01:57 PM
LB, What times supper?

izzyscout21
08-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Just got the wifey her new SIG 250 subcompact.

ak474u
08-13-2011, 04:47 PM
added 4 cheap LED headlamps and 3 cheap LED flashlights to the preps this week, couldn't resist, they were 4 headlamps for 4.95 and 3 lights for 7.95 at Home Depot, all came with batteries, and it keeps me from using my lightstick to check on the baby at night, as well as giving me a light that isn't 240Lumens to do little stuff with. My son is 18mos. and always wants dad's flashlight, so now he has a headlamp and a flashlight to play with too. I use my lightstick at work every day and carry a streamlight as a spare on my toolbelt, so I go thru lots of CR123's as it is, so a few extra throwaways are nice to have.

izzyscout21
08-15-2011, 01:32 AM
bought 3 canisters of fuel for my Coleman MAX stove.
Picked up a Beretta 22 NEOS from Gander MTN for an absolute steal. Then put a red dot on it. (out of all my arms, I didn't have a .22 target pistol. I couldn't believe it.)
Grabbed 1 50lb sack of rice from Sams.

bacpacker
08-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Went to the gun show today and picked up some .223 PMC, 62 gr, .308 PMC, 147gr, 6 Magpul mags for the AR, 2 isreali trauma bandages. I also got some silver coins for $70. At today's silver prices, they are worth at least $125. I was very happy.

izzyscout21
08-22-2011, 05:33 PM
I absolutely stole an OTIS/GERBER military tool and cleaning kit from someone at work. Retail is about $350. Managed to get it for 50 bucks.
Otis/Gerber Military Tool Kit AR-15 5.56x45mm NATO/223 Remington - MidwayUSA (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=388307)

piranha2
08-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Almost got my camper ready for the trip next week. Picked up a few things from Wallys today. Got 20 rounds of 12 ga. #1 buck and 20 rounds of 00. Got a bunch of cheap fishing stuff, small bobbers, split shot, hooks etc. In one week, I will be coming at you from the BOL. I am excited.

Kodiak
08-25-2011, 05:48 AM
Picked up 200 rounds of .223 from Dicks sporting goods, they had it on sale for almost half off. Also got a box of .45 and 2 boxes of 9mm, adding to the stock pile :)

bacpacker
08-26-2011, 12:49 AM
I found a 5000w/6250w surge generator on Craigslist yesterday. Checked it out today, used but functions perfectly. 120/240v with circuit breakers on all 4 plugs and a wheel kit.
I picked it up for $225. It also came with a 25' 10/2 w ground with a box that connects directly to our camper.
Down side is that it is very LOUD! I am very open to ideas on how to quite it down even a little. Upside, it's gonna help me get the chicken coop put together quicker, we'll have a genset for the camper should we need to boondock sometime. And if needed we have power for our freezers and fridge for a period.

LUNCHBOX
08-26-2011, 02:00 AM
BP, you won't be able to hear it from my house.....lol-jk. My cousins boy built a box for his out of insulated doors of something else insulated. He put a house vent on the side where the exhaust is just for heat and fumes to exit. You could hear the difference.

I picked up a Mossberg 817, 17 hmr.I got it for a great price, I almost felt bad (I said almost...lol) its clean, less than a box put through it. I'll check it out and see what the girls think. Picked up some dries (dry goods) also, a couple fuel canisters and of course I'm gonna take half the ammo Kodiak bought so ammo too....haha.

Grumpy Old Man
08-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Went to Honeyville Farms and got some more freeze dried LTS as well as mylar bags, an AC adapter for my Kaito solar/crank radio, spigots for my 5 gallon water storage containers and some spare lids for those spigots.(Water storage is very critical prep here in Inland Empire of PRK; the Elsinore fault runs about 4 miles east of my home). Also ordered a hand agitator yesterday from Lehmans for my emergency clothes washer. going to make laundry soap this weekend.

Kodiak
08-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks to Lunchbox, just put an Aimpoint compM4 on my AR. :D

Picked up some canned soup and some plastic shelving that my aunt was going to throw away.

izzyscout21
09-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Got one of those nice portable camping toilets, 2 5 gallon plastic water jugs, 5 gallon size gas cans, and a nice Bully roof rack soft cargo carriers to go on top of our Jeep Commander. All were let over from my dad's garage sale last weekend, so he gave em to me for free. Not a bad haul for free.

TEOTWAWKI13
09-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Picked up 500 rds of 9mm for $99 last Thursday. Had a little weather issue last week, power got knocked out. Food in fridge went bad, so a genny is on the list of things to buy now. I should have bought one years ago, but what can you do?

bacpacker
09-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Spent the weekend getting started laying out my chicken coop. TONS of work left to do. I am taking a few pics as I go and I'll try to get them up here as times goes on.

LUNCHBOX
09-12-2011, 11:55 PM
BP, pm sent.....I picked up some more rice and beans and a few can goods, then found chicken in cans the size of the small tunas for 10/$10.00--got 10 for now and will be picking up more soon. I kept 2 cases of mres for us and broke those down for storage in our packs.

Stormfeather
09-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Picked up about 50 cans of chicken as mentioned by Lunchbox in the earlier above thread.
Ordered another 25 bags of Saline solution from Medical Supplies, Medical Equipment, Physician Supplies | Dealmed.com (http://www.dealmed.com/) , These to replace the ones we used during a recent practice run,
Got a hell of a deal on 2 - 55 gallon trashcans full of Ball Canning Jars, paid $20.00 for all of them and the lady threw in the trash cans for free! Approx 85 Ball Jars for $20!
Picked up 20 quarts of Tropical Grove Juices, Great for STS (Short Term Storage) for the kids BOB's.

izzyscout21
09-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Picked up 25 lbs of all purpose flour

piranha2
09-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Over the last couple weeks, I have my camp in the woods set up and ready.

dragon5126
09-22-2011, 07:33 AM
RE Voltage drop

This is why buildings are wired with AC at higher voltages. We are use to Ohms law but forget Watts law, a derivative of Ohms law. In essence it means the higher the voltage, the less the current that is requred to accoplish the same amount of work. wattage is figured as voltage times current. So if the load draw 100 watts you need so supply 100volts time 1amp, or 10 volts times ten amps. When we say we have a voltage drop on a length of wire ( for the other readers who do not know), it means that there is a current loss through the wire. The hevier the wire is the less loss there will be.
Now the example of 100 volts vs 10 volts that I gave isnt quite that simple as the equipment you are using must be able to use they voltage source you have. In the instance of our House wiring being AC at lower current levels, all the equipment we use is designed around that source. But when wiring a house for DC the fact is there is no real safe wire size, due to heating dependent on the load. Realistically 0ga is about the only safe minimum diameter to minimize fire hazard. AC however does not have this issue as long as the wire is not coiled up. Not going into the math or long explanations the average voltage of a 120 volt AC line in the wall is zero volts (sine wave crosses zero voltage remember?) so this limits heating under load, but DC under load just continues to generate heat, even on good conductors when under load unless the conductor is massive.

OK all the background is in place, you have the right idea but implementation needs modification. Dual batteries outside, raised off the ground. with binding post connectors on insulated plates mounted on a junction box in the room with a gennie type twist lock plug junction box outside with mated plug and cable to the parallel wired batteries. To this add a solar panel and controller (check out harbor freight under 200 bucks) and this should do what you need. Also avoid the myth of the Golf cart batteries they are made to be recharged and discharged a lot but do not have the deep cycle capacity, and if drained down til dead and recharged too often they will be destroyed. they are not made for deep cycle use. I hope I didnt go overboard on explanation on the whys, not knowing expertice levels here yet, the background info helps make the rest of the info useable in other endeavors

dragon5126
09-22-2011, 07:47 AM
I found a 5000w/6250w surge generator on Craigslist yesterday. Checked it out today, used but functions perfectly. 120/240v with circuit breakers on all 4 plugs and a wheel kit.
I picked it up for $225. It also came with a 25' 10/2 w ground with a box that connects directly to our camper.
Down side is that it is very LOUD! I am very open to ideas on how to quite it down even a little. Upside, it's gonna help me get the chicken coop put together quicker, we'll have a genset for the camper should we need to boondock sometime. And if needed we have power for our freezers and fridge for a period.

First and foremost is what is the physical size of the gennie (not rating)and can you post a pic? Secondly, what type of motor is on it? It is always possible to replace the muffler with something bigger and quieter but you have to becareful that you dont end up burning the exhaust valve(s) depending on what you do. Be careful about putting any kind of shroud around it. Overheating the genset itself, can destroy the windings and you are stuck with a motor that runs bit no electricity. A "friend" did yhat with one of my small generators. Now I have spare parts for a machine I dont have.

dragon5126
09-22-2011, 07:57 AM
I have shot up a few K of Wolf 5.56. Never had a problem with it, mostly used in the Mini-14 and some in the AR-15s. Sometimes I wonder about the 'rep' that wolf has or if I am just setting myself up for failure. I use it for practice only. It is OK by me.

2 more buckets of rice and a case of pintos
All that talk about canned BACON in the other thread, well, I couldn't resist it, I bought another case

Wolf is just dirty ammo, Know what it is, use it for what it is and treat your firearms accordingly and you should have no problem.

dragon5126
09-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Dont know if this counts towards prepping for some, but i just bought a 16ft car trailer. Living within the city limits, ill be bugging out if something bad were to happen. So something to load my gear and supplies on is a plus in my book.

Yes I know it's an old post but du you realize how easy it is to buld a removeable "cabin" for on that car trailer that would turn it into a camper/ storage shed bugout trailer all in one? four sheets of plywood per side would give you an eight foot tall wall...

bacpacker
09-23-2011, 01:22 AM
First and foremost is what is the physical size of the gennie (not rating)and can you post a pic? Secondly, what type of motor is on it? It is always possible to replace the muffler with something bigger and quieter but you have to becareful that you dont end up burning the exhaust valve(s) depending on what you do. Be careful about putting any kind of shroud around it. Overheating the genset itself, can destroy the windings and you are stuck with a motor that runs bit no electricity. A "friend" did yhat with one of my small generators. Now I have spare parts for a machine I dont have.

It's roughly 18x18x24 give or take a little. Has a 10hp B & S engine.
I assume you can run a longer muffler/same diameter without much problem but you can't close the diameter without burning issue's in the valve train. I guess what I'm tryin to say, Don't increase the back pressure too much?
The surround I was thinking about was just a tall set of walls to direct the sound upward as opposed to out. Not sealing it off.

dragon5126
09-24-2011, 01:46 AM
not enough pressure can burn valves on a small enginge being run for long periods of time worse than too much which just chokes off the flow of air through the mill. All internal combustion engines are, is just air pumps, so they work best when they move the most air (within reason). Brigs engines are easy to quiet down with different mufflers but take a bit of welding to make the adaptors to make... They use basic pipe threads to mount the mufflers so all you really need to do is find a small car muffler and make a mount for it to fit on the Gennies frame, make a heat shield for it and the pipe you need to route up to the exhaust outlet of the motor and mount it up. the trick is to transition to about 1 7/8'' exhaust pipe asap out of the motor. A muffler from a SMALL 4 cyl car or even any multi cylinder motor such as a quiet cycle should take care of the rest better than an actual small engine muffler, as small engine mufflers are really just spark arrestors.

bacpacker
09-24-2011, 02:06 AM
Thanks for the heads up Dragon. There is a small machine shop bout 7 miles from here that I use for various projects. Guess I need to pay them a call. Actually I have another piece I need to get welded for a mowing machine I've been procratinating on getting done. Kill two birds with one stone.
I went to Tractor Supply tonight and got a solar fence charger for 30% off. Got some of the fence post I need, along with wire, insulators, & hardware for my fence in the chicken lot. Also got fencing to put around the bottom of the coop and a couple of 30 Gallon metal garbage cans w/ good lids to store feed in the coop with. They'll keep out the chickens and mice.

dragon5126
09-24-2011, 02:25 AM
here is a heads up for ya on the chicken feed... watch for an old chest freezer, size according to your needs doesnt need to work but if it cools so much the better for hot weather to keep the bugs from hatching in the feed (eggs are already in it as is,) being flat sided they fit in the corner, seal tight against rodents and are watertight.

bacpacker
09-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Well I had a visit from a good friend today. He twisted my arm and made me buy a brand new Beretta Neos in .22. Sweet pistol with a 6" barrel and holster.
Thanks Izzy! It is sweet.

izzyscout21
09-28-2011, 01:09 AM
Glad I can be of assistance. Hope you enjoy.

Had a great time, BTW. Thanks for letting me visit. I even learned a few things. Chicken coop looks great.

TEOTWAWKI13
09-28-2011, 05:54 PM
All us Tennessee guys need to get a challenge coin going, and form our own little MAG.

izzyscout21
09-28-2011, 06:45 PM
All us Tennessee guys need to get a challenge coin going, and form our own little MAG.

PM out.

JustAPrepper
09-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Earlier this week I bought 40#'s B/S Chicken Breast on sale. Got it all prepped and ready for the Canner but I'm not ready yet so single guy next door with an empty freezer is holding it for me until I'm ready because our freezers are full. Also got Cukes, Summer Squash, Pumpkin, Winter Squash and Collard seedlings set in the garden. Up planted a few other seedlings that needed bigger pots and sowed Pole Beans and Peas.

bacpacker
09-29-2011, 12:12 AM
JustAPrepper you must have a long growing season. Do you grow much thru the summer? Sounds like you have a good start on a nice variety. Full freezers are great. I just found out yesterday I'm in line for a half beef later this fall. That should top mine off.
BTW Welcome to the forum.

izzyscout21
09-29-2011, 12:23 AM
After Bacpacker's generous contiribution to the cause, I picked up a Romanian AK, 4 mags, and 1300 rounds of ammo for a whopping $300.

LUNCHBOX
09-29-2011, 12:33 AM
Placed a call today about 2 bottle feeder calves, black Angus...my mouth just watered a little when I typed that. Picking up a pony for my 4 year olds birthday (kind of not a prepper item, but my daughters happiness for as long it can be is part of my prepping right now) besides, he could wind up carrying gear for all I know. Also the usual rice and beans.

ravensgrove
09-29-2011, 12:50 AM
I just finished off two feeder calves, got them at days old for $25 a piece had to tube then bottle feed. At 18 months old they just filled 4 freezers FULL. Yum. Most of our summer gardens are done now, winter garden is coming in heavy at this point. I'm pretty much canning round the clock at this point, should be done with all the jam in a couple of weeks. 2 freezers and 2 pantries full of canned veggies and dehydrated veggies. This time of year kicks my ass...come on WINTER!

LUNCHBOX
09-29-2011, 01:09 AM
I just finished off two feeder calves, got them at days old for $25 a piece had to tube then bottle feed. At 18 months old they just filled 4 freezers FULL. Yum. Most of our summer gardens are done now, winter garden is coming in heavy at this point. I'm pretty much canning round the clock at this point, should be done with all the jam in a couple of weeks. 2 freezers and 2 pantries full of canned veggies and dehydrated veggies. This time of year kicks my ass...come on WINTER!

It sounds like your doing well with your stocks. We put up one cow and a hog last summer and then I bought a new grill this year--(should be called year of the steak now) We did a garden but we didn't turn out as much as we wanted to can. Still have store bought canned and dry goods.

JustAPrepper
09-29-2011, 01:23 AM
JustAPrepper you must have a long growing season. Do you grow much thru the summer? Sounds like you have a good start on a nice variety. Full freezers are great. I just found out yesterday I'm in line for a half beef later this fall. That should top mine off.
BTW Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome BP!

We're in Florida so some there's a few things we can grow year round but we gutted the garden this summer due to Powdery Mildew and Mealy Bugs which have been devastating the state right now. Also so we could make some adjustments to our beds and heavily amend our soil. Hopefully it will all pay off.

Awesome on your half beef! Full freezers are GREAT...<until a hurricane comes through :(>

dragon5126
09-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Placed a call today about 2 bottle feeder calves, black Angus...my mouth just watered a little when I typed that. Picking up a pony for my 4 year olds birthday (kind of not a prepper item, but my daughters happiness for as long it can be is part of my prepping right now) besides, he could wind up carrying gear for all I know. Also the usual rice and beans.
Get or build a cart for the pony... those buggers were originally bred to haul mine carts...

Sniper-T
09-29-2011, 06:41 PM
put a couple hundred pounds of bear meat into the freezer on Monday, and about 2 bushels of tomatoes since then. hoping to add 3-4 deer yet and maybe a moose.

mmm... freezer meat good!

:0

TEOTWAWKI13
09-30-2011, 03:56 PM
bought another 50 rds of 9mm (147 gr JHP) for $20. Not too cheap, but for personal defense, I'll pay it. Bought 5 more boxes of spaghetti and 5 cans of spaghetti sauce from Dollar General. $10 spent, food for a week in a pinch.

JustAPrepper
09-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Yesterday I planted Celeriac (a test crop). Today I topped off the condiments (mustard, ketchup, EVOO, etc.) and added more canned goods.

panther woman
10-01-2011, 12:35 AM
I finally filled my 55-gallon-water barrel. Then I went through my 3 tote bins of food that I keep ready in case we need to bug-out. I had to do that once because of a hurricane. We had to stop and camp along the way to my parents house in another state. I keep thinking about that and the things I would have liked to have had then. So put some bins together for such a scenario. My kids sneak into them and take the good stuff, so I have to keep them re-filled on a regular basis!

JustAPrepper
10-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Had our very first day of Fall today!! Kicked off the A/C, opened all the windows for the first time in months and both DH and myself headed out to the garden before the sun was completely up soaking up the cool(er) air.

I was only going to plant a few things per the plan I had laid out earlier this Summer and he starts getting after me..."Come on Justa, let's do it. Let's plant. Come on Justa. Just do it. Live on the wild side, Justa. Plant them seeds." I start cracking up and before I know it I've dug all our seeds out and we're planting in our first Autumn morning. The only things not planted are some seedlings I started last week that either haven't germinated yet or are still too small to set and the Cabbage. I put my foot down on the Cabbage. Still too warm. And the Cabbage is an afterthought because when I went to plant our Fall Corn the seeds were infested with bugs. Must have come in with the last batch I ordered because I've never seen them before. So, even though Cabbage wasn't in the plan this year it is now but it's gonna have to wait another month.

TEOTWAWKI13
10-04-2011, 06:48 PM
On Friday of this week, I'm getting rid of $700 a month of debt that I should have never purchased. My Honda Ridgeline is a great truck, and I love it and will miss it a little, but I won't miss writing that check each month. It's a reminder that I once made better money, but it's also a reminder that had I been smarter 3 yrs ago, I'd probably have an additional $20,000 in the bank at this point.

ak474u
10-05-2011, 02:03 AM
Been there done that and got the tshirt on that one... $700 wow, I thought my $500 vette payment was a killer. Being out of debt is a prep for sure.

ravensgrove
10-07-2011, 04:31 AM
We're replanting our little hog panel greenhouses right now. During the CSA season we had one full of peppers and one full of tomatoes. Now we're replanting them for our family salad needs during winter. Winter garden is going along nicely out front: beets/turnips/carrots/radishes/spring mix, spinach and mustard greens.
Prepped the 10 x 10 spot for winter wheat, should get it in tomorrow. That's more of an experiment in "how much wheat is enough wheat?" Having never grown grains I am not sure how many bushels you get per 10 x 10...so trying to figure that out.
Does the fact I am still hand rearing this piglet in my bathtub count? Sure he's only 3 weeks old Saturday, and I can't eat him for almost 3 years (AGHs slow grow outs)...but the fact I am up every 3 hours all night should count as a prep of some sort. GRUMBLE.
Harvested some rabbits
Hit Cash and Carry and bought staples: flour, rice, coffee et all I try to keep minimum 90 days on hand at all times.
Canning: I have been canning for weeks with no end in sight.
Winterizing...which is normally a husband do...but falls to me right now and I just hope I did it all correctly because if the goats are any indication...its gonna be a hard winter. They all look like poofballs already. For us this means your normal house and well winterizing, but also livestock...got everybody that free ranges back in their winter pens and deep strawed everyone.

JustAPrepper
10-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Topped off both Dry Goods and (store bought) Canned Goods pantries today.

bacpacker
10-08-2011, 01:55 AM
I have spend most all week working on getting most of the garden ready to plant for the winter. I sub-solied most of 2 of the patches. We have of lot of heavy clay in this area, luckily where I have my garden the ground is pretty good heavy loam. Turned it last night and will work it up and sow 75% of it in Annual Rye grass and clover for the winter. The rest of it will have a 10x100 ft row of wheat planted by the end of next weekend and a decent sized area for early crops, potato's, onion's, cabbage, greens, peas, any cole crops.

dragon5126
10-08-2011, 03:31 AM
BP can you get a hold of RAPE Seed? looks almost like lage poppy seeds, common in domestic bird food, makes an excellent green manure as it grows fast and gets very leafy, not as problematic as clover for a winter cover crop and adds a substantial amount of matter back to the soil when you till it in.

Stormfeather
10-08-2011, 05:05 AM
Working on dehydrating a couple bushels of apples. Got 8 apple trees worth, so looks like its going to be a busy week or so dehydrating this damn things.

bacpacker
10-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Dragon rape seed is available. Some larger farms around here have started growing it. I wasn't aware it made a good green manure. I'll give that a try. The clover was mainly to build some nitrogen quickly.
Thanks for the idea.

JustAPrepper
10-11-2011, 12:57 AM
I spent over two hours this morning cleaning up after our "No Name Storm" that hit us this weekend. A Low that turned Tropical just overhead of us. We got 10"+ rain on Saturday, a couple more on Sunday but Sunday brought 40+ mph winds and we had 50+mph gusts. The garden took a beating, all my seedlings that haven't been set yet got spanked and the winds sucked most of my gardening stuff out the tubs on my garden shelving unit and scattered everything across the yard. I got all the seedlings planted "up" in the hopes that more soil would help wick some of the water away from the roots but they aren't looking so great. I'm not confident they'll make it.

Then I came in and cleaned up where our roof leaked during the weekend. DH ran to Lowes Sunday morning during a break in the rain, climbed up on the roof and found a couple of loose roofing nails. Slapped on some roofing mastic and it seems as though they were the culprits because we've seen no more water so I went ahead and dumped the buckets and got everything cleaned up...except for the ceiling which looks like hell and has holes in it to allow for drainage but it's fixable.

Then I did a double canning session. Got 32 Pints of Chicken done today with enough meat left to do about three more pints tomorrow. One more month of protein on the shelf. :)

izzyscout21
10-11-2011, 01:56 AM
I met up with Lunchbox and Kodiak. Then proceeded to drive home with half of Fort Campbell in my car.

SmileyTHFK
10-11-2011, 03:43 AM
Getting ready to PCS next week and finally getting around to cleaning out the garage. Found about five combat loads of 30 round AR-15 mags, four cleaning kits, and a 77/22 I haven't seen in almost a year :P Also found two 72hr bags and one of my large ruck sacks... Guess those wouldn't have done me too much good if I'd actually needed to get to them in a hurry. Lesson learned: Organization is key. You can have all the high-speed gear in the world, but if you can't get to it in a timely manner then it doesn't do you much good.

ladyhk13
10-11-2011, 04:12 AM
I spent over two hours this morning cleaning up after our "No Name Storm" that hit us this weekend. A Low that turned Tropical just overhead of us. We got 10"+ rain on Saturday, a couple more on Sunday but Sunday brought 40+ mph winds and we had 50+mph gusts. The garden took a beating, all my seedlings that haven't been set yet got spanked and the winds sucked most of my gardening stuff out the tubs on my garden shelving unit and scattered everything across the yard. I got all the seedlings planted "up" in the hopes that more soil would help wick some of the water away from the roots but they aren't looking so great. I'm not confident they'll make it.

Then I came in and cleaned up where our roof leaked during the weekend. DH ran to Lowes Sunday morning during a break in the rain, climbed up on the roof and found a couple of loose roofing nails. Slapped on some roofing mastic and it seems as though they were the culprits because we've seen no more water so I went ahead and dumped the buckets and got everything cleaned up...except for the ceiling which looks like hell and has holes in it to allow for drainage but it's fixable.

Then I did a double canning session. Got 32 Pints of Chicken done today with enough meat left to do about three more pints tomorrow. One more month of protein on the shelf. :)

Oh girl I am so sorry! I know you put so much work into your garden just to sit and watch it all blow away and drown! I do hope you can salvage some of it and it's not as bad as it looks right now. But hey, you got 32 pints of chicken done today! Well done...can you take a pic of one of the jars so I know what mine are supposed to look like when it's done? Keep your head up and at least you are far south enough where you should be able to replant.

ladyhk13
10-11-2011, 04:15 AM
I met up with Lunchbox and Kodiak. Then proceeded to drive home with half of Fort Campbell in my car.

Show off! :p LOL! Hope ya got some good junk!

LUNCHBOX
10-11-2011, 04:23 AM
Oh girl I am so sorry! I know you put so much work into your garden just to sit and watch it all blow away and drown! I do hope you can salvage some of it and it's not as bad as it looks right now. But hey, you got 32 pints of chicken done today! Well done...can you take a pic of one of the jars so I know what mine are supposed to look like when it's done? Keep your head up and at least you are far south enough where you should be able to replant.

Also, look at it this way....you can't control the weather but you collected and planted again like nothing happened, then went and did more canning than most do without a storm. I think you will be just fine.

LUNCHBOX
10-11-2011, 04:28 AM

I didn't come back with as much gear but made an even better investment in a good start to new friendship for me and Kodiak with Izzy. As good as beans and bullets anyday.

Stormfeather
10-11-2011, 04:55 AM
I managed to go and dehydrate 3 bushel baskets of apples and get them all packaged up. I may have made a new contact as far finding a cheaper source of meat than the one I currently have.

dragon5126
10-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Dragon rape seed is available. Some larger farms around here have started growing it. I wasn't aware it made a good green manure. I'll give that a try. The clover was mainly to build some nitrogen quickly.
Thanks for the idea. It does the nitrogenating as well as clover but doesnt run the risk of spreading as bad as clover does so you dont need to worry about it acting like an unwanted weed after you till it in, or it spreading into unwanted areas ( worked my way through college in a feed & seed store).

dragon5126
10-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Also, look at it this way....you can't control the weather but you collected and planted again like nothing happened, then went and did more canning than most do without a storm. I think you will be just fine.
An old saying goes whether or not there will be weather...

Kodiak
10-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Just sold my spare AR-15, now ill have some $$$ to buy more preps!

...or another firearm >.>

mollypup
10-13-2011, 03:15 PM
I bought a Pandigital 72-70fw 7" tablet at Amazon for $81.00. It hasn't arrived yet but am anxious to try it out. I think I might could use this to be my window on the world if the power goes out since I have solar battery backups.

JustAPrepper
10-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Yesterday I finished off the 40#'s of Chicken I had to can. I was thawing Chicken Breast for dinner anyways and was short about half a jar so I used a little bit of the dinner meat and came up with four full jars. They've been canned, sealed, washed, dated and put on the shelf.

bacpacker
10-14-2011, 01:45 AM
Busy week this week. We've put up 18 jars of tomato's, with about a dozen more to do tomorrow. 2 gallons of dried apples, picked up 700# of seed, & grain, and got a reloading press and some supplies for that. Tonight I picked up a cheap metal door for the coop.

ravensgrove
10-14-2011, 07:57 PM
I am living in a sea of jam right now. All season long we store up all our berries as we harvest, freeze them then I jam them all over a couple weeks in this late fall. So far: huckleberry (both red and blue), apple butter, peach butter, blueberry and today working my way through so many strawberries I might be here all day, and then I still have raspberry and blackberry to do...will easily take a day a piece to process so many of them its daunting.

bacpacker
10-19-2011, 01:32 AM
Planted my wheat for next year. Also put annual rye on 1 and a half of the second one. The other half I planted Rape seed to give it a try for a cover crop. Suppose to rain tonight thru Thursday morning. Should get the seed germinated and up pretty quick.
We got another gallon of apple dehydrated and several jars of apples put up. Ended up with another 26 jars of tomatos.

ladyhk13
10-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Oh dude...you and Justa make me want to go to bed and sleep for a week.............................................. ........................

ravensgrove
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
We recovered green house #2 (tomatoes grew so large they grew straight through the plastic and down the sides...it was a chore but now its replanted with salad stuff for the family for winter.
Finished two cow hides. This was such a chore, I have tanned all sorts of things, but never anything this big. I could do a huge happy dance for successfully tanning them hair on, on my own. They are beautiful and the work of it was worth it. Also made some winter stuffs with rabbit hides I had tanned a bit ago: a "hand muffler" for our daughter, and moccasins started for Big J. Need another sable hide for the upper, so they will sit unfinished until I do the next round of rabbits in 5 weeks. Just in time for Christmas: SWEET. Got that inside piglet living out in the field 24/7 at this point...quite the effort to keep him alive, get him going on solids and get him outside...but again well worth it. And of course more jam....

bacpacker
10-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Raven that is awesome. I've never tried tanning anything.

Stormfeather
10-20-2011, 04:58 AM
Picked up some more #!0 cans of pudding, olives, strawberrys at the local Woodmans, didnt pay over $4.00 per can!

Sniper-T
10-20-2011, 02:16 PM
We recovered green house #2 ...

Did you buy something or just modify some heavy poly?

Finished two cow hides. ...

Do you brain tan or use commercial products?

mollypup
10-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Got 4 of my 8 bottles of *cough cough* fish antibiotics. More should be arriving today and tomorrow!

Fatty
10-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Just ordered a 3 month supply of freeze dried food from thereadystore.com. Wife is pissed but ohwell. I feel its a good 800.00 well spent.

Stormfeather
10-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Got 4 of my 8 bottles of *cough cough* fish antibiotics. More should be arriving today and tomorrow!

Attagirl! I hope those fish are feeling better! Glad I could help point ya in the right direction!

Stormfeather
10-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Just ordered a 3 month supply of freeze dried food from thereadystore.com. Wife is pissed but ohwell. I feel its a good 800.00 well spent.
Ouch. . . I got nothing here., . . . I would just say, tell her its for her safety and well being! That or take her out to a nice dinner or something to make up for it!

ravensgrove
10-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Stormfeather: We built (we meaning I stood around and looked pretty while Big J built) two hog panel greenhouses in the spring. The tomatoes grew so large they grew through the plastic and down the sides, so my Mom and I wrestled new plastic on it for the winter planting. I do both brain tan and spice tan. I brain tanned the rabbits, but I wanted the steer skulls so I used alum, salt and club soda on them and then smoked the holy crap out of them.

Fatty
10-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Ouch. . . I got nothing here., . . . I would just say, tell her its for her safety and well being! That or take her out to a nice dinner or something to make up for it!

Yeah, she understands being prepped for short term chaos like tornadoes and blizzards but im trying to keep all other long term assets hush hush. However i knew there is no hiding 3 months worth of food, esp when it arrives at our door step and im not there...

mollypup
10-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Yeah, she understands being prepped for short term chaos like tornadoes and blizzards but im trying to keep all other long term assets hush hush. However i knew there is no hiding 3 months worth of food, esp when it arrives at our door step and im not there...

Just reading that send shivers of fear up my spine...........:)

Fatty
10-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Yeah, next time ill have it shipped to a buddies house and then truck it over when shes at work:p

ladyhk13
10-21-2011, 04:59 AM
Yeah, next time ill have it shipped to a buddies house and then truck it over when shes at work:p

That's what I do with all of my husband's surprise presents...sneaky sneaky but it works! In the end he's a happy camper!

ladyhk13
10-21-2011, 05:05 AM
I am living in a sea of jam right now. All season long we store up all our berries as we harvest, freeze them then I jam them all over a couple weeks in this late fall. So far: huckleberry (both red and blue), apple butter, peach butter, blueberry and today working my way through so many strawberries I might be here all day, and then I still have raspberry and blackberry to do...will easily take a day a piece to process so many of them its daunting.

raven...I planted one huckleberry bush this year since I had never heard of it before and the ad said it was supposed to taste like blueberries once they were cooked but very bitter raw (yup...yuk). Since I only have one bush it's not producing enough to can but it's putting out some nice blue berries the first season. How big are your plants and how many should I have in order to make it worth canning? This year I'm going to just take the berries and harvest the seeds. Do they really taste like blueberries when cooked?

izzyscout21
10-21-2011, 06:16 AM
I helped the local Sheriff's Dept conduct a patrol carbine class. Bout the closest thing I'll get to going to an actual class anytime soon. Anyway, gave me a good chance to get some GOOD rangetime and training in.

ak474u
10-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Added a Maxpedition Vulture II for my 36th B-day, been needing a good quality 3 day + pack for a long time, I had a no-name bag for a long time, and while it was relatively durable, I needed the extra CU/IN. space for my gear. I can now dedicate a whole section of the pack to ammo and a MOLLE Chest rig with my 6 AK mags that go with my discreet ak case without intermingling the ammo with the main pouch gear which always stays there, since I switch between my mossberg folder, and my AK, I can swap out the pouches for each gun's ammo and head out.

Dropy
10-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Check the weapons section for my weekly addition. =D

bacpacker
10-22-2011, 12:13 AM
I picked our kidney beans tonight. I also picked the last of our green peppers and serranos. The wife picked the last of our green beans and okra. Everything but the beans are going in the freezer.

I also got to go to a gun show today. Picked up some reloading supplies which I'll get to in my reloading thread. Also got some various pic's, sissors, & hemostat's. Got a nice roll of trip wire to try my hand at making snares with. And a stocked Radid Response FAK for the truck. I'm gonna break it down with the one I currently have and make sure both have what I need in them, and try and pack them the exact same for ease of locating stuff quickly. The vendor threw in a trauma bandage with the case. It all came in a nice Condor bag.

ravensgrove
10-23-2011, 12:16 AM
raven...I planted one huckleberry bush this year since I had never heard of it before and the ad said it was supposed to taste like blueberries once they were cooked but very bitter raw (yup...yuk). Since I only have one bush it's not producing enough to can but it's putting out some nice blue berries the first season. How big are your plants and how many should I have in order to make it worth canning? This year I'm going to just take the berries and harvest the seeds. Do they really taste like blueberries when cooked?

I am no help to you with cultivated huckleberrys. Here in WA three varieties: red, blue, purple grow rampant and wild. We left our place 1/2 forested and so they are everywhere. We have tons of blackberries as well...actually to the point they are a pain in the arse. The plants are huge, but its old growth Pacific Northwest forest...they could be hundreds of years old...clueless. The blue and purple ones taste just like blueberries but are tart, they make great pies and jam. The red ones are sweeter and taste like nothing else really, leaning more toward a raspberry. In my family we call the red ones huckleberries and the blue/purple ones shock berries. I do have cultivated blueberries: I would imagine being a similar plant you will get a larger yield each year until they are fully producing at 3-5 years. Most berries are this way. I wanted to add the tribe closest to me Squaxin...makes an amazing huckleberry honey.

ravensgrove
10-23-2011, 12:21 AM
This week we are ripping all our carpet out to put in wood laminate floors...is this a prep? Gutted the squash plot, and then there is Halloween...which is in most families not a prep....but if zombie hoardes were roaming around we have oodles of amazing costumes from over the years....I have to use that expensive theatre degree atleast once a year.

ladyhk13
10-23-2011, 06:21 AM
I am no help to you with cultivated huckleberrys. Here in WA three varieties: red, blue, purple grow rampant and wild. We left our place 1/2 forested and so they are everywhere. We have tons of blackberries as well...actually to the point they are a pain in the arse. The plants are huge, but its old growth Pacific Northwest forest...they could be hundreds of years old...clueless. The blue and purple ones taste just like blueberries but are tart, they make great pies and jam. The red ones are sweeter and taste like nothing else really, leaning more toward a raspberry. In my family we call the red ones huckleberries and the blue/purple ones shock berries. I do have cultivated blueberries: I would imagine being a similar plant you will get a larger yield each year until they are fully producing at 3-5 years. Most berries are this way. I wanted to add the tribe closest to me Squaxin...makes an amazing huckleberry honey.

Thanks for the info! I have wild blackberries too, as well as our 1000 apple trees...both of which we gladly share with the deer that come every day. Huckleberry honey, huh? Might have to look that one up. I hope I can protect the plant this winter. I have it in a pot now so I can cover it to keep the ice off of it. I have my rosemary, lavander and a crazy tomato plant that decided to grow all over again after I thought it had died (really, all leaves were gone and only stubs were left)...the thing has beautiful leaves just like you would see in spring! I guess I'll see if I can keep them all alive this winter.

mollypup
10-23-2011, 01:24 PM
All I did this week was to bottle about 7 more gallons of water for storage.

ladyhk13
10-24-2011, 04:53 AM
Got another Singer Treadle sewing machine. This one is for leather so now we have a regular one and a heavy duty one that can do leather jackets and even saddles! We won't have to worry about power with these puppies!!

LUNCHBOX
10-24-2011, 06:18 AM
This week we are ripping all our carpet out to put in wood laminate floors...is this a prep? Gutted the squash plot, and then there is Halloween...which is in most families not a prep....but if zombie hoardes were roaming around we have oodles of amazing costumes from over the years....I have to use that expensive theatre degree atleast once a year.

I think if someone was sneaking through your house and you could hear it on hardwood and not on carpet then there you go.

I added some more .223 ammo (Kodiak and I found it at D---"s sporting goods on sale) also picked up some more dry goods but I try to pick up some every trip to the store.

Kodiak
10-24-2011, 02:20 PM
As Lunchbox said in the previous tread, picked up some Remington .223 for 1/2 off at D*ck's sporting goods, and i bought a Rem 870 Tac 12ga that ive had my eye on for awhile. Also picked up a couple boxes of 00 buck that was on sale.

xusualsuspectx
10-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Tonight we packaged 22-3 cup bags of rice ,5-2 lb. bags of pinto beans ,and 5- 1lb. bags of pasta. We used two 300cc oxygen absorbers in the large bags and one in each of the smaller bags.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/MOCRAWLER417/Prep%20stuff/prep1.jpg

Stormfeather
10-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Whoohooo!!!!! Bill gets to add 1 harvested deer to his preps today! Poor Bambi ran across the road in front of the BOV! Steel Bumper Versus Bambi Neck = Venison in the freezer!

BOV - 3
Deer - 0

ETA: Post # 223. . . How quaint!

mitunnelrat
10-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Damn. Your BOV has killed more deer than my shotgun has! Bummer.

Stormfeather
10-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Yea, well, it doesnt help that I keep turning around and going back for them if I miss them the first time! :)

JustAPrepper
10-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Just got back from Salt Lake last night. Most people go on vacation and bring home souveniers. Justa and Mr. Prepper go on vacation and bring home Preps, lol!! Here's a few things we picked up from Emergency Essentials and Grandma's Country Cream (where we get our powdered milk)

Mylar Bags
New Food Storage Cookbook
Buttermilk Powder
Sour Cream Powder
Datrex 2400 Cal Emergency Bars (for BOB/GHB)
5 different MRE's to taste test
Powdered Milk samples (free with our purchase)
BOB/GHB water purifier
P-something or other can openers

and for shits and giggles (since they're too pricey for us to store in any significant quantity)

Red Feather Canned Butter
Red Feather Canned Cheese
Yoder's Canned Bacon

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/Julie-Girl/MISC%20SHTF%20PHOTOS/f7ea46e4.jpg

I'll report back as we start taste testing.:)

Stormfeather
10-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Just finished up 16 canned pint sized chocolate cakes! (ok, 15, had to try one of them out to check for taste, consistency, and overall useability! Nummy!)

bacpacker
10-31-2011, 01:13 AM
We picked up 2 more kerosene lamps. These are small models, maybe 8" tall. We also got a couple of old time cookbook's.

ladyhk13
10-31-2011, 02:52 AM
Just finished up 16 canned pint sized chocolate cakes! (ok, 15, had to try one of them out to check for taste, consistency, and overall useability! Nummy!)

Ok....I want to know how to make those!!!!!!

ladyhk13
10-31-2011, 02:55 AM
I did an inventory of all our medicines and organized them. Does that count?

ladyhk13
10-31-2011, 02:57 AM
Tonight we packaged 22-3 cup bags of rice ,5-2 lb. bags of pinto beans ,and 5- 1lb. bags of pasta. We used two 300cc oxygen absorbers in the large bags and one in each of the smaller bags.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/MOCRAWLER417/Prep%20stuff/prep1.jpg

Welcome to the site and look forward to seeing more preps! Great job!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-31-2011, 03:33 AM
Does this count? OK well, I'm working on (Today) restoring an old 1914 Singer model 29-4. It's a treadle (foot pump) type, used for leather goods, boots shoes, harnesses, saddles and the like. INDUSTRIAL It doesn't use electricity so it's "off grid", did one for the wife a while back, just would like to see her use it. But she's busy doing her other "preppin" things. Good thing is we are in it together.

Be safe........the night is your friend.

Sniper-T
10-31-2011, 11:18 AM

Now here is a SHTF comfort food if I've ever seen one.

please share your recipe and technique!

pls pls pls

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/zaara79bolly/Kommentar%20Pics%20by%20me/Please.jpg

Sniper-T
10-31-2011, 11:45 AM
Finally finished clearing out the garden, have 2 trays of chives on the dehydrator, 3 trays of oregano, and 2 of basil.

got my garage sorted out a bit, ready to build another set of shelves next weekend, and continue the organization. Once that's done, then I will be expanding my pantry by 2x the storage space.

ravensgrove
11-02-2011, 07:53 AM
I finally got all the carpet out, molding out and am waist deep in replacing all the carpet with locking laminate "wood". By...MYSELF, thank you very much. We'll categorize this as practice in: using tools, sleep deprivation, and "yes I canism". I am darn determined I will have it all done before 40 odd people show up at my house for early Thanskgiving when Hubby has his leave. I think I can, I think I can.

JustAPrepper
11-02-2011, 02:47 PM
I finally got all the carpet out, molding out and am waist deep in replacing all the carpet with locking laminate "wood". By...MYSELF, thank you very much. We'll categorize this as practice in: using tools, sleep deprivation, and "yes I canism". I am darn determined I will have it all done before 40 odd people show up at my house for early Thanskgiving when Hubby has his leave. I think I can, I think I can.

You GO Girl!! :D

Daca102090
11-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Just finished a Suzuki Sidekick (4dr.) conversion to VW Diesel engine. The engine is a 93 so all of the fuel system is mechanical and the only electronics are the diodes in the alternator. This will work with regular diesel as well as bio diesel. Just now running the first tank of fuel through it so don't yet know what the fuel economy will be. Hoping for 35-40mpg.

Sniper-T
11-02-2011, 06:59 PM
^
WOW!

not that is an imressive prep! looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

Way to go!!

:cool:

Daca102090
11-02-2011, 07:16 PM
yep, not a road racer in power but does the job. Next is to install a battery isolator for the accessory battery in the rear mounted utility box. Have an onboard air system capable of 110 psi at 2cfm, 2kw continous 4kw surge power inverter for 110v and dash controlled air shocks in the rear of the vehicle.

After the battery isolator, a winch bumper/brush guard will go on the front for deer protection.

bacpacker
11-03-2011, 01:38 AM
Daca that sounds like a fine project you have going there. I'd love to hear more about it as time permits.

Raven, after some of the post you've put up here, I have no doubt you'll get it done.

I haven't got much done this week except work and clean up some debris around the house from the recently completed work on our house. I did score today however. I've been looking for some wood for siding my chicken coop. I finally got a hit on a sawmill today, went tonight and picked up almost 1000 board feet of fresh sawn white oak. For, wait for it .................................................. ..............$250. I couldn't believe it. I can finish the coop and probably still have close to half of it left over for other projects.
I AM STOKED!

ladyhk13
11-03-2011, 02:13 AM
Well we went shopping today and hit the jackpot on canned diced tomato's (10/$10.), beef a roni (I can live on that stuff $1. ea), ham (the kind with the bone in it and sliced - half price so I got 6), rotello (has tomato's and chili peppers in it so I can add it to chili or make a mean cheese dip 10/$10.), rice a roni in the box (10/$10.) whole canned tomato's (10/$10), Knor rice packets (ok, not on sale...$1.39 ea but we eat them a lot), propane bottles (8), 100 ft. of 300#tess line to keep on the 4 wheelers, Tang (4), Hot Cocoa (big box), condensed milk (1/2 price), powdered milk - 2 kinds to try to see if we like either, about 15 gravy packages that were buy one get one free...did pretty good I think!

ladyhk13
11-03-2011, 02:30 AM

You can do it!!! I remilled all of the black walnut for our kitchen and it came out beautifully. So if I can do something like that you can too!!! I have faith in you!

LUNCHBOX
11-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I haven't got much done this week except work and clean up some debris around the house from the recently completed work on our house. I did score today however. I've been looking for some wood for siding my chicken coop. I finally got a hit on a sawmill today, went tonight and picked up almost 1000 board feet of fresh sawn white oak. For, wait for it .................................................. ..............$250. I couldn't believe it. I can finish the coop and probably still have close to half of it left over for other projects.
I AM STOKED!

Nice job BP. I just picked some planks myself.

ladyhk13
11-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Ok, today went to our local gun and pawn shop and found Cambro Plated Meal Carriers that they use in the military. Our guy said that the military pays $500. for each of these and I got it for $85.00. It will keep food hot or cold for 30 days. Very cool....

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/4961/1024489o.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/1024489o.jpg/)
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6301/1024490.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/1024490.jpg/)
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4162/1024488.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/593/1024488.jpg/)
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1841/1024487.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/828/1024487.jpg/)
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/6426/1024486.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/1024486.jpg/)

Stormfeather
11-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Ok....I want to know how to make those!!!!!!

Ask and ye shall receive!!

Pint Sized Chocolate Cake

1 stick plus 3 Tbsp. Butter or Margarine
3 cups White Sugar
4 Eggs
1 Tbsp. Vanilla
2 cups Applesauce, unsweetened
3 cups White Flour
3/4 cup unsweetened Cocoa powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/8 tsp. Salt

Prewash 8 pint-sized wide mouth canning jars (be sure to use the kind that have no shoulders) in hot, soapy water. Rinse well, dry and let them come to room temperature. Grease insides of jar well.
Beat together butter and half of sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and remaining sugar, vanilla and applesauce.
Sift dry ingredients together and add to the applesauce mixture a little at a time: beat well after each addition .
Pour one cup of batter into each jar and carefully remove any batter from the rims.
Place jars in a preheated 325-degree oven and bake for 40 minutes.
While cakes are baking, bring a saucepan of water to a boil and carefully add jar lids. Remove pan from heat and keep lids hot until ready to use.
When the cakes have finished baking, remove jars from oven. Make sure jar rims are clean. (If they're not, jars will not seal correctly)
Place lids on jars, and screw rings on tightly.
Jars will seal as they cool.
Cakes will slide right out when ready to serve.
Unsealed jars should be stored in the refrigerator and eaten within 2 weeks. Sealed jars may be stored with other canned food or placed in a freezer. The cake is safe to eat as long as the jar remains vacuum-sealed and free from mold. If you are concerned about the safety of storing your cakes, an alternative is to store them in the freezer.

That and one last thing!

ENJOY!!

Sniper-T
11-04-2011, 10:49 AM
^
Awesome!!!

Thanks

bacpacker
11-04-2011, 12:46 PM
I bet my wife will be trying these this weekend.

JustAPrepper
11-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Topped off the food storage and found Campbell's Soups on sale at Walmart for .60 a can. Bought two cases and am thinking about going back tomorrow and getting two more.

Sniper-T
11-04-2011, 10:15 PM
I bought 25 pounds of white mushrooms on the way home. I'm currently slicing and dicing for the dehydrator. I'll do a bunch in slices, a bunch diced, and a when they're dry, I will grind a bunch up for bullion powder.

mmmm I like mushrooms

ladyhk13
11-04-2011, 10:31 PM
I bought 25 pounds of white mushrooms on the way home. I'm currently slicing and dicing for the dehydrator. I'll do a bunch in slices, a bunch diced, and a when they're dry, I will grind a bunch up for bullion powder.

mmmm I like mushrooms

I canned a bunch a while back and they tasted just like what ya buy in the store in the cans....they are great. might want to try it that way in 1/2 pint jars to use with your steaks?

Sniper-T
11-04-2011, 10:35 PM
If you have a recipe handy, I might give it a try with a few... but I've never been crazy on canned mushrooms... rehydrated, they taste like they're fresh. especially with steaks!

ladyhk13
11-04-2011, 10:51 PM
If you have a recipe handy, I might give it a try with a few... but I've never been crazy on canned mushrooms... rehydrated, they taste like they're fresh. especially with steaks!

Go to this page and there are very simple quick directions....I love them canned but you can try a couple of jars and if nothing else you can add them into chicken and dumplings or something!

Mom's Cafe Home Cooking: Canning Mushrooms and Cream of Mushroom Soup (http://momskitchencooking.blogspot.com/2009/08/canning-mushrooms-and-cream-of-mushroom.html#)

Sniper-T
11-04-2011, 11:12 PM
looks good... I'll give it a try.

Thanks

ravensgrove
11-06-2011, 03:14 AM
I'm still flooring, and may be flooring forever....ok probably not forever but it sure as heck feels like it and my knees are killing me. By the time I am done I will have done about 1200 sq ft....ugh.

ladyhk13
11-06-2011, 03:56 AM
I'm still flooring, and may be flooring forever....ok probably not forever but it sure as heck feels like it and my knees are killing me. By the time I am done I will have done about 1200 sq ft....ugh.

Bless your heart! Your DH must be so proud of you!

LUNCHBOX
11-06-2011, 04:03 AM
Dried a couple gallons of peppers, then put them through the coffee grinder to make my spice rub. Now I have plenty to get me through the winter and I still have around 4 gallons hanging out to air dry. I have a red and a green pepper spice that will make yours eyes water and start coughing just to smell it. YUMMY....

Also added 4 boxes of Twinkies....I still want my little girl to be happy too.

ladyhk13
11-06-2011, 04:03 AM
looks good... I'll give it a try.

Thanks

Let me know how they come out. bty...where did you get 25lbs of shrooms? wow!
I have been canning chicken breast all day. I would normally have thrown out the rib bones but I thought....hmmm, what can I do with these thing? What would my mom do (she is always doing something with bones)? So I boiled them up with some ck. boullion and made chicken stock and canned it too!!! Yabba dabba doo! I also took all the really small pieces (all those little shavings that are stuck inside the ribs) of chicken and put them in a quart jar to use for chicken and dumplings or just to throw into something to add some flavor. I am still canning, have one more batch to do..................then tomorrow I would like to do 10 lbs of potato's. I am working on figuring out the perfect way to keep the starch from collecting on the bottom of the jars after being stored a while. Some of my jars are nice and clear and others have some starch so I can't remember what I did different. Must have been in the cleaning process or something?

ladyhk13
11-06-2011, 04:10 AM
Dried a couple gallons of peppers, then put them through the coffee grinder to make my spice rub. Now I have plenty to get me through the winter and I still have around 4 gallons hanging out to air dry. I have a red and a green pepper spice that will make yours eyes water and start coughing just to smell it. YUMMY....

Also added 4 boxes of Twinkies....I still want my little girl to be happy too.

I want some of that stuff!!!! I can never find things hot enough! You can keep the twinkies, I like HoHo's! :)

LUNCHBOX
11-06-2011, 04:20 AM
Pm sent.

Kodiak
11-06-2011, 04:22 AM
Got some plastic sheeting and duct tape in case i need to seal off a room or two this winter if/when we lose power. Also bought a snow plow for the ATV.

ladyhk13
11-06-2011, 04:52 AM
Got some plastic sheeting and duct tape in case i need to seal off a room or two this winter if/when we lose power. Also bought a snow plow for the ATV.

How fun is that!!!!!! Wish we had that much snow....can't justify buying something like that just to play with though, bummer.

mollypup
11-06-2011, 03:28 PM
I got a couple more books: A first aid book and PDR about pills. I figure if I'm storing antibiotics I really need to know how and when to use them so I don't kill anybody.

I also filled up several more 2 liter soda bottles with water.

Oh yeah! Hubby and I cleaned out the walk-n pantry yesterday and while everything was out and on the floor and tables it almost looked like an episode of hoarders lol! I was able to see exactly what we had in the way of food and supplies and get the space neatly organized again. It was a haphazard mess before we cleaned it out. I thought I had a lot more food in there than I do. I've got lots of new empty shelf space that I should fill up with food.

mitunnelrat
11-06-2011, 09:43 PM
I finally got my small game license and went out squirrel hunting. I was just walking the trails with a shotgun, and never did get a clear shot, but found a good place to still hunt for them with my .22. I just scoped it, so as soon as I get it zeroed I'll be sitting out there.

I'm also gonna plug LUNCHBOX again. Thanks to his having two magazine pouches I needed I was able to continue reconfiguring my MOLLE belt. The weight is now more evenly distributed, and my rifle mags are much easier to access. I also learned those same pouches will hold either 9x, 20 ga., or 8x 12 ga. shells in 2 3/4".

I learned you can stuff all 3 parts of the USGI MSS in a frame less, medium ALICE pack, and that it will ride above my belt setup, so my BOB is (yet again) going through a major revamp. I'm on a serious weight reduction kick right now. I'll know how I'm doing with that in a couple of weeks, I believe. Its time for another outing.

Its otherwise been very slow for me right now.

ladyhk13
11-07-2011, 12:18 AM
I finally got my small game license and went out squirrel hunting. I was just walking the trails with a shotgun, and never did get a clear shot, but found a good place to still hunt for them with my .22. I just scoped it, so as soon as I get it zeroed I'll be sitting out there.

Ok, I have to ask since I'm not origionally from an area that shoots squirrels...what do you do with them? Poor little things are just so cute, why would you shoot them? There can't be much meat on them and please don't tell me they taste like chicken!

mitunnelrat
11-07-2011, 12:53 AM
I haven't eaten squirrel in many, many years, (and have never yet shot any, I'm largely a new-ish hunter) so I can't tell you how it tastes, but I have 9 different recipes for them in a wild game cookbook, with one in particular I'd like to try first. I really, really want to collect and produce as much of my own food as I can, though, and squirrel are plentiful in my area.

You can also sell squirrel tails to a lure company, though it would take forever to make any real money at it. I hear some fishermen will send them in to get the lures though, and not for the cash.
Squirrel Tail - Selling Squirrel Tails - Squirrel Hunting | Mepps (http://www.mepps.com/programs/squirrel-tail/)

I also see them as a means of improving my hunting abilities. Squirrels are the smallest animal I can hunt, and I keep hearing if I get good at cleaning them I'll be able to clean anything.

Sniper-T
11-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Squirrels taste similar to rabbit, although unless you get a bunch of them, it's tough to make a meal. although they can be added to a meal easy enough. They are quite easy to clean, but due to their size, they take some finese. Around here we basically cull them for pest control; they can do huge amounts of damage to insulation, walls, and attics. If you are allowed to bait them, buy a bag of sunflower seedss (in the shell), and when you get into your area, place some in strategic locations (shooting lines). then kick back and start munching some yourself. Just keep an eye on the bag, as you could be looking out at your baits and them sneaky little buggers could be eating out of your bag right beside you.

lol

In the meantime, enjoy being outdoors

mollypup
11-07-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm with you Ladyhk13 - squirrels are so cute!!! At a local animal rescue ranch the squirrels are so tame that they come right up to you for food. So do the chipmunks!

Sniper-T
11-07-2011, 12:42 PM
^ and that is part of the problem around here. they are trained to think of people as a food source, so they are not afraid of people... they come right up to you... right into your garage/home/vehicle.

My buddy's wife thought they were cute too, until it cost her $1200 for a new wiring harness, and $600 for new seats for her car

My wife took her car in for a tuneup last week... the mechanic asked her to come to the back just after he started... every nook and crany in the motor comppartment was packed solid with nuts and seeds. There was a chipmonk nest inside her airfilter (which was also chewed up), and a couple places that they started chewing on the plastic sheaths on the outside of the wires.

That said... when I'm out camping or hunting, and MILES away from anything... I'll feed them too, but from a distance.

Sniper-T
11-07-2011, 03:43 PM
In addition to dehydrating 20+ pounds of mushrooms...

Spent some time on the weekend, cutting firewood, splitting firewood and stacking firewood... with my Wife..

I had about 2 cords cut and stacked in 4' lengths, so we had to pull them from the pile and set them on the sawhorse, and slide them off the end while bucking them up.

We started with my wife loading the sawhorse and me on the chainsaw, until I could see her fatiguing, then I gave her a refresher on the saw, and loaded for her. We alternated as necessary, and took breaks as necessary. And by the end of the first day, we had all the wood bucked up on the ground.

The second day, I pulled out the splitter, and again we took turns feeding the machine, and tossing/carrying sorting and stacking. She took breaks when she needed to, and we got everything split and stacked and tarped. With what I had ready already, we can now burn 24/7 all winter if we wanted to.

My wife is fit, muscular and strong. and determined to do whatever she needs to do. She runs on a regular basis, has completed several 1/2 marathons and is now contemplating doing her first full. while still training for triathalons.

Yet, even with this level of fitness, by the end of the first day (that evening) she could hardly close her hands (forearms sore), could hardly stand up straight (lower back), and could hardly walk (hamstrings). After we finished our chores on the second day, she was in roughly the same (little worse shape) and I suspect that by the end of today, she'll be mighty sore.

BUT!!! she worked hard, we had fun working together (as always), and we accomplished a pile of stuff.

So keep in mind, that even though one person is "fit" in doing somethings they may not be in others. I did the same (more) than my wife did, and felt great. I also moved a pile of other wood (building materials), moved a bunch of 'stuff' etc, and I felt 100% after this.

A couple months ago, we did an adventure race... and she did great, and it kicked my ass.

Aaaahh... the importance of crosstraining.

Grumpy Old Man
11-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Ok, I have to ask since I'm not origionally from an area that shoots squirrels...what do you do with them? Poor little things are just so cute, why would you shoot them? There can't be much meat on them and please don't tell me they taste like chicken!

I find them particularly cute when browned nicely and covered with gravy!

I packed away another 50 lbs of rice (mylar bag and O2 absorbers with bay leaves), 50 lbs of red beans (ditto) and 50 lbs of white corn (ditto). I have to replace a couple of circuit breakers at my home as they won't reset, so that will be my project for this week.

Sniper-T
11-07-2011, 05:18 PM
^ mmmm
squirrel gravy....

and I don't know about anywhere else... but they get pretty big around here...

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm79/God_of_Thunder_09/gi_joe_hunting.jpg

rofl

izzyscout21
11-07-2011, 06:36 PM
^^awesome

mitunnelrat
11-07-2011, 07:48 PM
I forgot to say I don't shoot the ones around my house because they are cute, and fun to watch. I don't have any major nuisance issues with them either though.

izzyscout21
11-07-2011, 10:30 PM
This week I got a zombie head chopper......er....I mean, new machete.
I like it. It seems to be built pretty tough. It actually has a much thicker blade than a lot of machetes I've seen.
Just the kind of tool Tunnelrat would like to try to tear up......I mean test.
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF4073.jpg

bacpacker
11-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Our house sits out in what used to be a pasture. I have planted a boat load of trees since we bought it (1000+), but no nut trees. This summer we finally had a our first & I hope last squirrel. My wife puts out bird seed to attract various birds to watch. Stupid squirrel kept getting up on the deck, eatin all the food, then proceded to destroy her feeders. Needless to say, he won't be eating anymore bird seed!
BTW I don't care for squirrel very much. Just don't like the flavor.

AlphaTea
11-08-2011, 02:50 AM
Just finished up Wifey's Christmas present today. I made her a Black Ruger MKIII with a Black 6" fluted Pac-Lite. It has Red flame Hogue grips and a Fastfire sight. Hope she likes it. If not, well, I like it.

ladyhk13
11-08-2011, 05:06 AM
Just finished up Wifey's Christmas present today. I made her a Black Ruger MKIII with a Black 6" fluted Pac-Lite. It has Red flame Hogue grips and a Fastfire sight. Hope she likes it. If not, well, I like it.

DH and I both like this one....how sweet is that? You are such a thoughtful hubby!

mollypup
11-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I like AlphaTea's gift a LOT. I'd click the "like" button 50 times if I could. I wish my hubby would give me a gift like that. :(

BTW, where, and how much did that machete cost?

izzyscout21
11-08-2011, 01:03 PM
I traded for the machete, actually called a Parang.

They can be had for a very reasonable price. Try here:

GerberĀ® Bear Grylls Survival Series™ Parang™ Machete (http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/parang/Gerber%C2%AE+Bear+Grylls+Survival+Series%26%23153% 3B+Parang%26%23153%3B+Machete/G698.html)