PDA

View Full Version : Mental and physical readiness.

ehughes1488
08-12-2012, 09:22 PM
I have been thinking a lot lately about when the time comes am I going to physically able to conduct the task at hand. If shtf tommorrow will I be able to get up and go if say I have to end up traveling by foot for miles and miles, or what if it gets so crazy that I will have to stay awake for days to the point of mental exhaustion? Ever heard of the saying "mind over matter?" Everytime I talk to friends of mine about this topic they always tell me the same thing "mind over matter" mentally I can push myself to accomplish anything. True your mind is an amazing tool and it can help push you. I know from experience going through the Ranger indoctrination program. I would be so physically drained I would have to keep telling myself to keep going and it helps. "But" if you are not somewhat physically prepared you run the risk of failure. Your mind can give you a boost but there comes a point where the body cant handle it anymore. Now lets go the other way with this argument. You may be in great physical condition, but have a weak mind. I remember some of the most physically fit men in R.I.P. often broke down mentally. They put so much time in effort to building there body but never fed their mind. So what I am trying to get at is "Find a healthy median" to which you are training both physically and mentally. Its hard to do but while you are sitting there watching tv get up and do push ups or sit ups during commercials, or try and go for a run every few days. Its not the body building that will help when shtf its cardio and core being able to move long distances. Then for the mental aspect think good thoughts. Try and read historically inspiring things anything that when shtf and you have nothing else you can recount of times where people were going through similar events and how they managed to make it. I'm not very good at getting my thoughts into words so If some of this seems confusing I appollogize. This is just something I have been thinking of on a daily basis and I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to physical preparedness. But I'm making it an effort now to change that.

Kodiak
08-13-2012, 05:01 AM
Im also making an effort to change, I started counting calories last week and began walking and lifting weights a few months ago (though ive been slacking off the past couple weeks). Baby steps, but one has to start somewhere.

ehughes1488
08-14-2012, 03:07 AM
It is hard to do, but once you get use to exercising both physically and mentally you start to feel better and get more energy but yes its an extremly hard commitment.

TEOTWAWKI13
08-21-2012, 02:32 PM
This is a huge weak area for me. I'm getting back into the gym, but I'm also going to make sure I force myself to run on that dang belt driven contraption. You can't out run zombies is you get winded walking up stairs.

helomech
08-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I don't work out, but I do get lots of excercise. When I am at work I have to walk up and down stairs all day. It is about 7 stories from the bottom of the platform to the heliport. And when I am home I am working outside during all daylight hours. Lately I have been moving and stacking cinder blocks for my aquaponics system. I am not in the greatest shape, but I can work a 14 hour day in the heat.

realist
08-21-2012, 03:43 PM
With the mental aspect it is bad enough that you are trying to get yourself in order try mobilizing your loved ones too. I know baby steps but it is tough to do it yourself so try to get others are your support group. Not only that they will be less of a drain and more dependable in a SHTF situation.

Grumpy Old Man
08-21-2012, 04:41 PM
At durn near 60 years old, my exercise consists mostly of walking and doing my chores. That is why I choose to bug in.

Onestep
08-21-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm right there with you Grump.
Used to hit the weights 3-4 days a week but have slowed considerably since I passed 55.

bacpacker
08-21-2012, 10:31 PM
I've never been much of one to work out. I had to run so much back when I played basketball, I swore I would never do that again. I do try and do a fast walk as often as I can (which needs to be increased). Otherwise it's just working around the house. It's still not enough, but I am starting to make a stronger push to figure out ways to incorporate more endurance/strength building into the work I do. Things like carrying sacks of feed, bales of straw, buckets of produce, digging post holes, cutting trees. I just need to work in more of that type stuff.
From the mental side, I feel like I have always had a decent mental outlook on things. I can be very strong willed, especially if it's something I am very sure of. Some of the jobs I have had forced me to learn how to lead and make quick decisions under pressure. I think that has helped me a great deal. I have also started keeping a much closer eye on situational awareness the last few weeks. I thought I had been before, but after putting much more thought into it, I see now how little thought I was putting in to it before.
Great thought provoking thread.

realist
08-21-2012, 11:32 PM
I find that it is nice just to be able to get out of bed at times. Don't we sound like a bunch of old farts?

bacpacker
08-21-2012, 11:33 PM
It's hell gettin to be an old fart, I know that.

realist
08-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Remember Old age and treachery always out does youth and agility.............

Willie51
08-22-2012, 02:20 AM
It's hell gettin to be an old fart, I know that.

We are old farts, but cool old farts!! :cool:

helomech
08-22-2012, 02:29 AM
My boys thought I was old then I asked them to come and work with me outside stacking cinder blocks. They changed their mind before lunch.

bacpacker
08-22-2012, 10:58 AM
That is one sure way to change their mind. :)