PDA

View Full Version : Secession in 2012.

Possom
08-13-2012, 11:17 AM
I was reading one of the alternative news sites yesterday and came across a link to this article and discussion on this book. Not saying anything like this would ever happen but it gives a good "what if" scenario to think about. Can u imagine the chaos that would take over if the USA split apart. What are your thoughts on this? Where do u stand on secession?

http://www.salon.com/2012/08/12/should_the_south_secede/

slowz1k
08-13-2012, 03:35 PM
I was reading one of the alternative news sites yesterday and came across a link to this article and discussion on this book. Not saying anything like this would ever happen but it gives a good "what if" scenario to think about. Can u imagine the chaos that would take over if the USA split apart. What are your thoughts on this? Where do u stand on secession?

I'm a Southerner, born in Virginia and transplanted in NC back in the the late 80's, but above all, I consider myself an American, and truly love this country and the values that it was founded on. If this were to actually happen, I don't see it being really a good thing for either side. 50 years ago, the South would have been in a world of hurt without the North. The auto industry and steel mills alone made the northern states critical to the Souths survival. Now with those industries downsizing and becoming more and more dependent on overseas ventures, Secession might not be such a big deal for the South.

The common theme to this article seems to be North = Blue, and South = Red.... If that is the case, and the North (blue) was left to continue to build it's liberally based entitlement programs unchecked by the Red state reps, they would be bankrupt and starving within a few years. Especially as the freeloaders currently living in the South (red) moved North to get their share of handouts.

I can't help but think that both Joshua Holland and Chuck Thompson come accross as uneducated, and arrogant when expressing their views on the South. Both seemed to have bought into the sterotypical southern redneck, or Bible thumper personas, that do exist here, but are not nearly as prominent as one might think. Painting with the BIG brush as these two do, seems to be a good way of misrepresenting or hiding political and/or religious beliefs that they don't understand or agree with.

I especially enjoyed the part about how he decided to "keep" Texas as a Northern state, because it is too much of an economic powerhouse to let the South have it. How convenient.

So to answer the OP's question. As for me, I'm not for secession. I think we're stronger together, but If it came down to it... I'd be a Confederate citizen, here in Little Ole Nawth Carolina.... Ya'll:cool:

eagle326
08-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I was born a northerner by birth thru no fault of my own. I've always thought with a Southern mind set. My folks came and landed in N.C. when it was still one state. The wife's family are old Virginia folk. I've been working on getting back home to our blood line as best I can. I have found out thru my life and travels that northerners are less educated in the ways of life ; manners ; morals and social graces the than folks from the south.

I've known a great many people from the north who would fit in the South. It's the very few who make the rest look bad. And may I say that those who fit in are all Conservative in their thinking.

As for Texas ; I have no doubt that they have the balls to seceed. It's a matter of how many of the population will go to help the new republic. Texas can go on it's own no matter what the pundits say.

helomech
08-13-2012, 10:43 PM
I so want for at least Texas to secede.

The Stig
08-14-2012, 12:58 AM

My thoughts on that scenario? Anything is possible.

Where do I stand on secession? Check HERE (http://www.shtfready.com/threads/1-Forum-Rules-Please-Read-and-Understand) for answers (pay attention to item 3).

If secession happens we'll deal with it. Discussions about dealing with the aftermath are fine. We will not be discussing starting or supporting one however.

Sorry to be a wet blanket folks but the rules are there for a reason.

Possom
08-14-2012, 01:44 AM
I wasn't in any way trying to start anything. I apologize if it appeared that way. I just found the article and was trying to ask opinions on this guys article. I should have worded my question better.

The Stig
08-14-2012, 02:29 AM
I wasn't in any way trying to start anything. I apologize if it appeared that way. I just found the article and was trying to ask opinions on this guys article. I should have worded my question better.

No worries. Just wanted to make sure we all walked a careful line here so we can keep the thread open and discussion going.

Thank you for taking the time to contribute to the website.