PDA

View Full Version : National weather service ammo purchase.

Possom
08-14-2012, 03:13 PM
According to drudge infowars and a couple of other news sites the nws has put in a request for 46,000 rounds of .40 cal jhp ammo. What would the nws need with ammunition?

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-national-weather-service-is-shopping-for-46000-rounds-of-ammunition-2012-8

realist
08-14-2012, 03:46 PM
You got me wondering about this and I did some research. Take a look at the below link it answers questions about the NOAA Office of Law Enforcement which is mentioned in the article so I would say that is the reason for the purchase.

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/ole/faq.html#q1

Possom
08-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the link. I appreciate it. Guess I should have dug a little deeper. With all the ordering DHS did recently I just assumed it was falling along the same lines. I didn't know the NOAA even had a law enforcement branch. You would think marine fisheries protection would fall to the coast guard and wildlife management arm of the state game and fish commissions.

realist
08-14-2012, 03:56 PM
No problem you got me wondering why needed ammo.

Possom
08-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Even with that explained I still get the feeling our government is up to something sneaky and preparing for something bad to happen or are planning to make something bad happen.

Kodiak
08-15-2012, 01:55 PM
40k rounds is not much ammo for a law enforment agency, especially when you factor in requal training which is required at least once a year. If one was to do some research it wouldnt surprise me if they made orders like this often.

Possom
08-15-2012, 09:05 PM
What about this one today by the ssa?

http://www.infowars.com/social-security-administration-to-purchase-174-thousand-rounds-of-hollow-point-bullets/

The Stig
08-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Infowars as a news source for anything is highly suspect. Too much tinfoil and asshatery.

174,000 / 41 locations is 4243 rounds of ammo per location. Divide that by 12 months and that's a whopping 353 rounds per month.

In other words, assuming each location has only 1 officer, that's two range sessions per month.

And ohz to the noez, it's "hollow point bullets". Well no shit. That's what LEO's, citizens in home defense situations and anybody not in a state named New Jersey uses to effectively stop a threat.

Government organizations buy ammo kids. It happens and is not a sign of sinister activity. If anything, I'd like to see LEO's at all level dedicating more time to actually learning how to use their weapons well (he says with a broad brush).

NWPilgrim
08-15-2012, 10:23 PM
I asked my brother about the NOAA ammo purchases since is retired Coast Guard and did a lot of fishery related boardings. He says the Coasties would be armed but the Fisheries person was usually a student intern who of course was not. His comment about the article: "This is scary. "

NWPilgrim
08-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Why are these all HP ammo? Of course they would want HP for duty carry but for range practice?

The Stig
08-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Why are these all HP ammo? Of course they would want HP for duty carry but for range practice?

I know Cincinnati PD uses their duty ammo for range practice.

It's also a good idea to ensure your duty ammo works in your service weapon.

The Stig
08-16-2012, 12:58 AM
I asked my brother about the NOAA ammo purchases since is retired Coast Guard and did a lot of fishery related boardings. He says the Coasties would be armed but the Fisheries person was usually a student intern who of course was not. His comment about the article: "This is scary. "

Further reading for education:

Purpose of NOAA Office of Law Enforcement (http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/ole/ole_about.html)

From the above link...

NOAA's Office of Law Enforcement is dedicated to enforcing laws that conserve and protect our nation's living marine resources and their natural habitat. Our goal is to assure that the many people who enjoy these resources for recreation or rely on them for business follow the rules that will maintain the species for future generations.

NOAA's Office of Law Enforcement protects fish stocks from depletion and marine mammals from extinction. We also protect the livelihoods of commercial fishers, the hobbies of recreational fishers, and the health of seafood consumers.

While scientists provide the research and councils provide the regulatory framework to manage our nation's fisheries, NOAA's mandate to end overfishing would be impossible without its Office of Law Enforcement to follow through on the rest of NOAA's hard work.

NOAA Office of Law Enforcement Training Info (http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/ole/about/training.html)

There are a lot of aspects of our Federal Government that should give us pause. This is not one of them.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-16-2012, 04:37 AM
Hat's off to all of you guys for pickin this one apart. All valid questions, if JHP's are so great why don't we get to use them in the military all the time? Well it's against the Geneva Convention. You could hurt somebody really bad! So we have to use "Ball rounds" Full metal Jackets. I've worked with the "Puddle pirates" Coast Guard chasin drug runners numerous times before. They use the same things we do. Can't say I ever ran across a NOAA fisheries LEO trying to protect a damn thing anywhere off our coasts. I'll agree to "It sounds a bit "fishy" to me" as well. Awfully expensive training ammo, if they are worried about it feeding then they bought shitty weapons. Why .40 cal? Who shoots that anymore except maybe the alphabet soup agencies. Just my thoughts.

Be safe...............the night is your friends.

The Stig
08-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Hat's off to all of you guys for pickin this one apart. All valid questions, if JHP's are so great why don't we get to use them in the military all the time? Well it's against the Geneva Convention.

[Pedantic mode] The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III, prohibited the use in international warfare of bullets that easily expand or flatten in the body.[3] This is often incorrectly believed to be prohibited in the Geneva Conventions, but it significantly predates those conventions, and is in fact a continuance of the St. Petersburg Declaration of 1868, which banned exploding projectiles of less than 400 grams, as well as weapons designed to aggravate injured soldiers or make their death inevitable. NATO members do not use small arms ammunition that is prohibited by the Hague Convention. From HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow-point_bullet)[/Pedantic Mode]

Why .40 cal? Who shoots that anymore except maybe the alphabet soup agencies?

Many local LEO organizations along with civilians continue to use .40SW. Its not unused by any stretch.

hank2222
08-16-2012, 05:09 PM
It depends on the agency and some of the agency like my old agency had only 25 people total for the whole United States and alot of times we had to ask for help from the bigger agency in the federal side of law enforcement .

hank2222
08-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I know Cincinnati PD uses their duty ammo for range practice.

It's also a good idea to ensure your duty ammo works in your service weapon.

We did the same thing to make the person know what and how you duty weapon will perform when it fired for real in the line of duty .I remember when guys who carried 357 mag full blown hot ammo on duty but would pratice with weak 38.special ppc type ammo to get the good score on the range .

That way i like a semi auto handgun it make you pratice with what you carry in the way of full power loads

bacpacker
08-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Here is a "out in left field" question for you. Something crossed my mind today.. Anyone remember Iran/Contra? What are the chances all these large ammo purchases are being used, at least in portion, to be funneled into some OP somewhere? Syria maybe. Some of these buys have been going on long enough they could have contributed to the Arab Spring in Egypt and Libya last year.

Just thinkin out loud.

Sniper-T
08-17-2012, 12:59 AM
fyi... almost EVERY LEO agency in Canada carries and uses a .40. that is standard practice. they train with it, and use it!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-17-2012, 03:38 AM
[Pedantic mode] The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III, prohibited the use in international warfare of bullets that easily expand or flatten in the body.[3] This is often incorrectly believed to be prohibited in the Geneva Conventions, but it significantly predates those conventions, and is in fact a continuance of the St. Petersburg Declaration of 1868, which banned exploding projectiles of less than 400 grams, as well as weapons designed to aggravate injured soldiers or make their death inevitable. NATO members do not use small arms ammunition that is prohibited by the Hague Convention. From HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow-point_bullet)[/Pedantic Mode]

Many local LEO organizations along with civilians continue to use .40SW. Its not unused by any stretch.

Damn dude could you slap me any harder? Next time wet your hand so it'll sting a little Stig. As far as all the LEO posts that followed I'll claim "ignorance" at this point. My experience has been strictly military so I was issued 9mm and .45 match grade both FMJ ball (brainwashed). So you Civies have educated me once more. When I retired I headed for the woods. So I did not keep up with what LEO and other Agencies used anymore, it was of no importance. Besides, Common sense dictates (to me) to stick with common rounds. 90% of the time I shoot you, you'll be carrying 9mm or 45. So all others just seem useless. FYI, I reload my own handgun ammo and I use both FMJ and JHP and I fire the shit out of both in my weps. I make my loads for each pistol and what makes them happy. But in order to shoot good, you have to shoot. You don't have to have "hot" loads to make that kill shot, it's all about shot placement. Just my opinion, and yes asshole's my middle name. Thanks for the lesson gentlemen, I "seriously" do appreciate it.

Be safe..............the night is your friend.

The Stig
08-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Damn dude could you slap me any harder? Next time wet your hand so it'll sting a little Stig.

Sorry....my pedantic/anal retentive mode kicks in when I read the "Geneva Convention means no JHP for the military" stuff.

Sortof like when someone calls a magazine a clip. I simply can't help myself and correct them.

Yes....I am a dork.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Sorry....my pedantic/anal retentive mode kicks in when I read the "Geneva Convention means no JHP for the military" stuff.

Sortof like when someone calls a magazine a clip. I simply can't help myself and correct them.

Yes....I am a dork.

No problem Brother, we're square. I'm right there with you, again thanks for the lesson though. Good shit! Clips hold money, hook to your belt, holds your knife, and barely grazes your jaw when I missed your face with the blow that was intended! (left Clip)
Signed,
Chuckles the Clown

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

realist
08-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Bacpacker I don't think that is really viable since the amount of ammo LEOs use is not all that much when compared to the military. Also it would be much easier to loose an order of ammo via the military going to an assistance program than it would be for law enforcement. When you figure how many billions of dollars they can't account for in Iraq and Afghanistan a little ammo would be nothing.

izzyscout21
08-18-2012, 01:40 AM
Bacpacker I don't think that is really viable since the amount of ammo LEOs use is not all that much when compared to the military. Also it would be much easier to loose an order of ammo via the military going to an assistance program than it would be for law enforcement. When you figure how many billions of dollars they can't account for in Iraq and Afghanistan a little ammo would be nothing.

^^This.

The amount of ammunition we didn't account for was staggering. Nobody kept tabs. We just grabbed what we needed and rolled out.
I had a whole conex behind my CHU loaded with spam cans of AK ammo..........

Gunfixr
08-18-2012, 01:57 AM
Folks sometimes forget that for military rounds, it isn't always necessary to kill. In many instances, it's actually better to wound.

On the battlefield, the dead are left for after the battle. The wounded are tended by the medic, carried to safety by others, taking multiple persons out of the fight at a time.

The Garand rifle uses a clip. The '03 Springfield is loaded by means of a clip, as is the Mauser, the Mosin Nagant, and many others.

More modern rifles are fed by means of a magazine.

Some training should be done with carry ammo, to know that it functions properly, and to know how it hits and feels when fired. But it is easier to continually practice with carry ammo when someone else pays for it.

The day is fast approaching when the likelihood of encountering .40 ammo is better than encountering .45 ammo as far as scavenging in the field goes. It may already be that way.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-20-2012, 04:19 AM
OK, fine I give. Everybody's "Smart Bulbs" are brighter than mine is. I'm butting out of this one, this is just tooooo brainiac for me now. Next thing you know you'll be telling me I can't put dollars in my stripper clips anymore.

Be safe...............the night is your friend.

Sniper-T
08-20-2012, 12:33 PM
you cant put dollars in your stripper clips anymore!

;)

lol

Willie51
08-20-2012, 02:20 PM
OK, fine I give. Everybody's "Smart Bulbs" are brighter than mine is. I'm butting out of this one, this is just tooooo brainiac for me now. Next thing you know you'll be telling me I can't put dollars in my stripper clips anymore.
Be safe...............the night is your friend.

:D :D Now that is funny!!! :D :D Good one BR!

Grumpy Old Man
08-20-2012, 04:39 PM
This is what the NRA-ILA has to say about it. The rest of the article is available at the link at the bottom.

"You may recently have seen some in the Internet rumor mill feverishly repeating the obvious truth above, in an effort to stir up fear about recent acquisitions of ammunition by the Department of Homeland Security and a number of smaller agencies. The mildest writers have questioned why seemingly mundane agencies would need ammunition at all; more incendiary authors suggest that these government agencies are preparing for a war with the American people.

Much of the concern stems from a lack of understanding of the law enforcement functions carried about by officers in small federal agencies. These agents have the power to make arrests and execute warrants, just like their better-known counterparts at agencies like the FBI.

For instance,the Social Security Administration solicited offers for 174,000 rounds of pistol ammunition. But the agency has 295 special agents who combat Social Security fraud that costs tax payers billions each year, so the order works out to roughly 590 rounds of ammunition per agent for training, mandatory quarterly qualification shooting and duty use. More than a few NRA members would use that much ammunition in a weekend shooting class or plinking session."

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2012/federal-law-enforcement-agencies-buy-ammunition.aspx

Sniper-T
08-30-2012, 07:28 PM
VIA EMAIL:

We have been writing about the suspicious purchases of ammo by government agencies for a month or so. We are looking for answers and in this post and the one following we explore a couple ideas.

Please send us other articles, your ideas on the issue, and your comments. We are very concerned and we citizens should know what their government is up to.

Conservative Tom

Mystery Surrounding 1.2 Billion Rounds of Ammo Solved
Posted by Dominique de Kevelioc de Bailleul on Aug 23, 2012 | 6 comments
The mystery surrounding the purpose for the U.S. government’s procurement of 1.2 billion rounds of hollow-point ammunition just got a boost Tuesday.

On the heels of an article penned by Major General Jerry Curry (Ret.), titled, Who Does The Government Intend to Shoot?, a piece written by a retired U.S. general who questions the bizarre series of monstrous ammunition by unlikely agencies of the federal government, host Rick Wiles of TruNews Radio (Aug. 22) revealed to his listeners the answer to the mystery of the billion bullets.

After years warning of the out-of-the-blue presidential candidacy of Barrack Obama, Wiles appears most certain, again, that a powerful connection can be made between information he’s received from a high-level informant at Department of Homeland Security (DHS)—regarding the approximately 20,000 Russian commandos suspected of legally entering the U.S. from Canada—and conversations he had with an old acquaintance, the famous Russian spy of the old Soviet Union era, Colonel Stanislav Lunev.

“Colonel Stanislav Lunev told me, personally, years ago—he said, the Russian military strategy is, that, we [Russians] will strike so hard [at the U.S.], that there will be such shock, that the American people will surrender,” Wiles recalls, during a conversation he had with the spy over a several-day period in 1999.
“He was not talking about a nuclear, chemical [or] biological attack; he was talking about commandos in the country [U.S.]. He said . . . this is what he said, Spetznazs, which are the Russian commandos. . .

“He said, they have the names addresses of every member of Congress, and the Senate, their wives, their children, the school that they go to, all the cabinet members, all of the head officials in Washington, all the officials in state governments. And he said, they will all be assassinated, quickly.”

From 1988 through 1992, Lunev, the highest-ranking Russian KGB spy to defect to the United States, explained to American authorities that he was deployed by Moscow to actively seek strategic locations within America for the launching of biological, chemical and suitcase-size nuclear devices in the event of a hot war between the two superpowers.
Though, initially thought to be fantastic tales told by a trained professional of deception, Lunev’s seemingly incredulous assertions of an elaborate plot to attack America from within was later confirmed by former SVR officer Alexander Kouzminov, who stated in his book, Biological Espionage: Special Operations of the Soviet and Russian Foreign Intelligence Services in the West, the Soviet Union “was the only country in the world that could start and win a global biological war, something we had already established that the West was not ready for.”

According to Wiles, Lunev “said there will be a massive decapitation of the American government from top to bottom in a matter of days, and we [Russians] will put the country into a state of shock.
“That, he said, is the official strategy, and that’s what they [leaders in Moscow] plan to do, and, he said, it has never changed.” [emphasis added].

And here’s why the U.S. has procured 1.2 billion rounds of hollow-point ammunition, according to Wiles. Moreover, according to him, the Russians appear to be correct in their assessment: the American people are so distracted by lives of entertainment, of consumption and of derelictions of civic duty, that the Russian plan to destroy America from within is quite achievable.

“Let’s not forget that the real person running [Department of] Homeland Security is not Janet Napolitano, it is Valarie Jarrett, the communist,” Wiles explains. “And her father-in-law was Vernon Jarrett, who was a close confidant of Frank Marshal Davis, Barrack Obama’s communist mentor.
“And so, I’m going to continue to say on this radio program that, I believe Valarie Jarrett and David Axelrod, and these other commies are the real architects of this sinister plan to stockpile 1.2 billion rounds of ammo throughout the country.

“That it is not for law enforcement; it is to be turned over to a communist revolutionary army in this country.”

Wiles goes on to say that most Americans don’t realize that President Barrack Obama is a communist. “They don’t know it,” and “they don’t care,” says Wiles.

But, when the communist takeover is unleashed, presumably by a false-flag event or dollar devaluation, the American people will be in shock, he adds, just as Russians were shocked by the Bolshevik revolution and the rise of Joseph Stalin, the man who’s credited with the extermination of approximately 80 million Russians during his reign.

“An old fashion communist revolution is on the way,” says Wiles, suggesting, too, that that fact will become apparent soon enough, executed very quickly, and will shock, yet, another nation along history’s many roads to Communism

Read more: http://www.beaconequity.com/mystery-surrounding-1-2-billion-rounds-of-ammo-solved-2012-08-23/#ixzz24T1pxllu

The Stig
08-30-2012, 07:46 PM
LOL wat?

Sniper-T
08-30-2012, 07:50 PM
I LOL'd too, but I've gotten this 3 times now, from American friends no less. I figured it was too good not to share.

I have to admit though, I was tossed whether to put it here, or the joke thread.

:)

Grumpy Old Man
08-30-2012, 08:52 PM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q36/iwaseatingolives/tinfoil-hat.jpg

Even your pets may be targeted

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y36/dshane/Tinfoil_Hat_Cat.jpg

Wild animals are being targeted

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo35/mommiemurphy/tinfoilhatsquirrel.jpg

Patriots are particularly suspect

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/RevolutionEarthWV/19561_344028301080_334162806080_509.jpg

Put yours on right now!!