PDA

View Full Version : Bacon Grease

izzyscout21
05-06-2011, 03:45 PM
as mentioned in the "What have you done to prep this week?" thread,
I started saving bacon grease. Aside from cooking, who has creative uses for the stuff. I'm trying to come up with some absolutely unorthodox things to use this stuff for. ANy ideas?

alpmco
05-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Make soap
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Bacon-Soap/

The Stig
05-06-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/c399_tactical_canned_bacon.jpg

The Stig
05-06-2011, 04:38 PM
And to give your explosive ordnance a little extra kick against the mooslimbs.....

http://therealrevo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/BaconBomb.jpg

izzyscout21
05-06-2011, 04:54 PM

I actually own a case of that stuff............piggy goodness

Grumpy Old Man
05-06-2011, 09:08 PM
You could always make an old time fat or grease lamp. There are plenty of instructions floating around the 'net.

alaska
05-07-2011, 02:32 AM
bacon wrapped around full wd 40 cans then tossed about the perimeter of a camp site makes unique early warning of bears being around......................or so I have heard

RedJohn
05-07-2011, 11:42 AM

If the bacon showed on this picture reflects exactly what is inside this can, I will definitely get some when I move back on the other side of the pond.

izzyscout21
05-07-2011, 02:39 PM
If the bacon showed on this picture reflects exactly what is inside this can, I will definitely get some when I move back on the other side of the pond.

it's not bad. a little salty, but i like it that way

alpmco
05-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Back when I was a Den Mother (I mean Dean Leader!) in Cub Scouts I was given the nickname of Bacon. That has followed me into Boy Scouts. They all save anything bacon related for me. Last Christmas I got a bacon colored lunch box, bacon flavored lip balm and two pounds of BBQ and Tomato Basel flavored bacon.
I need to get a can of this for a camping trip.
Oh! Ouch! I just looked it up online. $17 - $20 .... :eek: I'll just print out the picture of the can!

beginner
05-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Hmmm.... Interesting thread. I always pour my bacon fat into a jar as to not throw it down the sink and clog it. But, usually once the jar is full I turf it. Interesting thread. I'm curious to see what we come up with.....

Since I started coming to prep forums I started saving a lot of things that I thought were useless..... Dryer lint being a prime example....

alaska
05-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Now and then I will warm it up some and mix it in with the dog food for the mutts. they love it

RedJohn
05-17-2011, 11:39 PM
Dryer lint being a prime example....

Could you open a new thread about the uses for dryer lint? That could be very interesting.

Twitchy
05-18-2011, 02:31 AM
Could you open a new thread about the uses for dryer lint? That could be very interesting.

I got a ton of that stuff... Got many plans for it in that topic :P

RedJohn
05-18-2011, 07:34 AM
I got a ton of that stuff... Got many plans for it in that topic :P

If you have anything to share, please, do not hesitate.

pitbullnga
07-12-2011, 07:49 PM
bacon grease is great for the garden as well...... i make a small trench about 1 inch deep in between my veggie plants and then put some ole fashioned grits sprinkled in it. it attracts any bugs in the garden to the grease they eat the grits ... grits swell kills the bugs.

bacpacker
07-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Pit Bull, Never tried that before sounds like a good idea. Does it work for tater bugs as well? That is my #1 problem, #2 is worms on the califlour and cabbage.

piranha2
07-12-2011, 11:44 PM
We even use the grits here to get the fire ants, commonly known as piss ants.

izzyscout21
07-13-2011, 12:37 PM
i'm going to have to try that. sounds like a neat way to keep the bugs off.

pitbullnga
07-15-2011, 06:33 AM
not sure of all the bugs it kills but i do know it takes care of ants, beetles, those pesky flys and keeps those lil black bugs off my maters. it also does a good job keeping catapilars away.

alpmco
07-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Hmmm.... Interesting thread. I always pour my bacon fat into a jar as to not throw it down the sink and clog it. But, usually once the jar is full I turf it.
I don't think I have ever thrown good bacon grease away. Bacon grease is good in baked beans and for cooking a multitude of items. It is always consumed in some way. Hum ... maybe that is why I'm almost 400 pounds? But my cholesterol was 146 two months ago ... And it keeps you regular ... :)

bacpacker
07-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Why would you throw away good grease? Sounds like biscuits and gravy to me. It is really good in beans as well.

ravensgrove
09-28-2011, 04:55 AM
I use lard...(which bacon grease is basically simple lard) to make soap and balms for everything from cleaning supplies to bug goo. A simple balm is 4 parts lard to 1 part beeswax, add essential oils/herbs to do whatever you're trying to accomplish: lemon oil for furniture polish or black pepper/catnip/citronella and lavender for Bug Goo as examples.
In any soap recipe lard replaces your fats. It helps if you add lanolin or beeswax to lard based soaps as they tend to get crumbly and seperate over time otherwise. I make and sell goat's milk soap. But we raise lard pigs (American Guinea Hogs) specifically to make balms and sell them.

dragon5126
09-28-2011, 06:47 AM
here is one for you, bacon grease AND dryer lint... mixed together into a heavy paste (heavy on the lint) and formed into little metal tins such as altoids and mini altoids to make mini buddy burners for drying tinder and kindling to get a fire started in adverse conditons, play woth it to see hown much lint it will take and maybe ad some strips of cardboard to the mix to act as a wick, if you get the proportions right the lint will burn, melting the grease and act like the old fashioned kerosine stoves that were used on old steam ships, except the lint will burn away where as those stoves wicks didnt.

dragon5126
09-28-2011, 06:49 AM
For those who want bacon with LESS grease check out the Sept/Oct 2011 issue of Backwoodsman on how to make your own highend bacon cheaper than the garbage bacon we pay an arm and a leg for in the store.

bobthe
09-29-2011, 01:14 AM
For those who want bacon with LESS grease check out the Sept/Oct 2011 issue of Backwoodsman on how to make your own highend bacon cheaper than the garbage bacon we pay an arm and a leg for in the store.

bacon with less grease is like a beautiful woman who happens to be a very talented nymphomaniac - but with LESS beauty, talent and sex.

bacon needs fat. cooking fat = grease. no way around it.

edit: pork fat RULES!

dragon5126
09-29-2011, 06:09 AM
My friend, you havent had any good farm cured bacon! I didnt say NO fat, I said LESS Fat. Today Bacon is about 75% fat 25% lean. When I was a kid it was 50/50...

Sniper-T
09-29-2011, 06:37 PM
I save it up in cans, and then freeze them when they're full. when I go bear hunting, I light a sterno under a can of bacon grease and just let it spit and simmer while I'm watching/waiting in the shack/blind. The smell brings them in for miles around.

I imagine this set up would have the same effect on bad-guys in a stategic location if SHTF.

jus sayin...

bobthe
09-29-2011, 11:24 PM
no, i have. like i said... pork fat RULES!

DisasterGuy
10-03-2011, 12:25 AM
You can freeze the bacon grease and use it like suet to feed birds in the winter. All birds are edible.

TEOTWAWKI13
10-03-2011, 06:57 PM
here is one for you, bacon grease AND dryer lint... mixed together into a heavy paste (heavy on the lint) and formed into little metal tins such as altoids and mini altoids to make mini buddy burners for drying tinder and kindling to get a fire started in adverse conditons, play woth it to see hown much lint it will take and maybe ad some strips of cardboard to the mix to act as a wick, if you get the proportions right the lint will burn, melting the grease and act like the old fashioned kerosine stoves that were used on old steam ships, except the lint will burn away where as those stoves wicks didnt.

This is EXACTLY why I'm on sites like this!!! :)