PDA

View Full Version : Thought of something else to keep a spare of: wheels

rentprop1
08-19-2012, 11:20 PM
some people think of the word spare and associate it to a tire, well today I was out with the power washer and one of the 10 inch pneumatic tires that has a tube in it went flat, I had a small air compressor in my truck but no spare tire or tube and it was hell and a half to move that thing around, so I got to thinking.....I probably will not be pressure washing if SHTF, but my generator also has those tires, so does my hand truck and garden cart ????

this week I plan to stop at Northern Tool and pick up at lease 1 spare in each of my tire sizes, and an extra one for the tire thats flat now :mad:

actually Harbor Freight has them on sale for $ 6 for the complete tire and rim assembly

Gearhead
08-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Those HF tires are great! We bought 6 or so. We recently put them on a rifle barricade that weighs around 70 lbs. No problems yet.

Sent from my BRODEVICE using MobileBro2

Echo2
08-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Yup....every time I find some at the junk yard....I grab them.....got a few sets.

msomnipotent
08-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Good idea. I should check what my generator has. I'm not sure if it is just hard rubber or tubes.

Sniper-T
08-20-2012, 10:38 AM
also keep an eye out for tire tube patch kits

bacpacker
08-20-2012, 11:14 AM
And bottles of "slime". That stuff actually works pretty good in mower, wheel barrows and such.

The Stig
08-20-2012, 11:41 AM
It's amazing how many items have tires/wheels to help them move. Excellent point.

realist
08-22-2012, 02:41 PM
I have switched all mine over to no flat tires, they are a soft solid tire that works like an air filled tire. Real hard to push a wheelbarrow when the tires are low. They work great and I highly recommend them.

helomech
08-22-2012, 02:46 PM
I have switched all mine over to no flat tires, they are a soft solid tire that works like an air filled tire. Real hard to push a wheelbarrow when the tires are low. They work great and I highly recommend them.

I put those on my generator, it always had a flat. Those tires do work great, but they are not cheap.

realist
08-22-2012, 03:10 PM
You are right they are expensive however I feel that misery should be optional.

Evolver
08-22-2012, 10:43 PM
I like to have spare drive belts for everything that I own that needs a belt. I don't want to rely on a pair if Justas nylons for the job.

Marthony
08-23-2012, 09:14 PM
This brings to mind logistics/engineering of WWII: Where applicable, it is good to design/acquire hardware that has as many common parts as possible. For this example, the varieties of lube for US vehicles was reduced to less than 10, making logistics of part/supply maintenance more efficient.

It may be a bit much to buy wagons, generators, etc. with compatible wheels, but you get the idea. More practically, one may try to acquire goods that use the same battery size so your preps focus on fewer varieties. For example, dodging items that need C cells in favor of others if you already have hardware that needs D's or AA's.