PDA

View Full Version : Starting school tomorrow

Gearhead
08-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Starting mt first year of high school tomorrow... the 20th...
I might have to post less often because of schoolwork and other meaningless duties. :P

Anyone else starting school back up?

Any words of advice or wisdom? ( I already got the blue crayons to munch on...)
Sent from my BRODEVICE using MobileBro2

Echo2
08-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Blue crayons....check......sounds like you got it covered.

Good luck man....enjoy it while you're there.....cause after you get out the real work and responsibility begins....this is just training like anything else.

Keep a level head....and your eye on the prize (Diploma).....and you'll do well.

Try to stay out of the popularity contest....learn to recognize real and true friends....I still hang out with a guy I met when I was 5yrs old....he is the God parent of my kids.

Learn history outside the class room......it's always nice to know more than the teachers.....:)

- - - Updated - - -

my kids are starting Tues.

bacpacker
08-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Good luck GH. Enjoy every minute. Some of it will suck but years from now when you look back you'll be glad for all you got from it.

The Stig
08-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Starting mt first year of high school tomorrow... the 20th...
I might have to post less often because of schoolwork and other meaningless duties. :P

Anyone else starting school back up?

Any words of advice or wisdom? ( I already got the blue crayons to munch on...)

Echo already hit the serious stuff so your old uncle Stig will hit on the important items:

If an upperclassman invites you to "see if you can fit into his locker" it's a trap.

Swirlies are nowhere near as fun as you would think.

Practice the art of appearing to be asleep while listening to the lecture. When the teacher tries to bust you recite what they said verbatim. They find this humorous and whimsical.

If your 25 year old, smoking hot, English teacher wants to text you "important class information" there's a good chance she'll end up on the local news in a few months.

Farting in class is always funny. Always.

That's all I can think of for now.

Good luck Gearhead!

izzyscout21
08-20-2012, 12:35 PM
run................

- - - Updated - - -

run................

ak474u
08-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Remember, the cheerleaders are hot and popular now, but they're at their peak of attractiveness, and at the 10 year reunion, they'll be fatter than the science club president, AND.... Call the nerds anything you want today, someday people will call them BOSS.

helomech
08-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Remember, the cheerleaders are hot and popular now, but they're at their peak of attractiveness, and at the 10 year reunion, they'll be fatter than the science club president, .

Man this is no joke, Had my 20 year reunion last year and the cheerleeders where not attractive anymore. But this one girl, that was very smart and in the top of our class was SMOKING HOT.

TEOTWAWKI13
08-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Man this is no joke, Had my 20 year reunion last year and the cheerleeders where not attractive anymore. But this one girl, that was very smart and in the top of our class was SMOKING HOT.

I concur...about half of our old cheerleaders are still worth looking at. And a few still have cheer leader bodies. The rest....time was an enemy.

Be nice to everyone. One day that nerd may be your boss, or worse...your attorney.

Sniper-T
08-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Or even worse... your soon to be ex-wife's attorney!

position yourself in the classroom near/with the smart people, not the 'cool' people sitting in the back row. --> guilt by assosciation.
ask questions! 'nuff said!

The Effort you put forth in the next few years will greatly determine the rest of your life. If you are a slacker and just eke by, then get used to the phrase "Would you like fries with that?" If you work both hard, and smart, the world will be your oyster!

Grumpy Old Man
08-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Read!! Not only the drivel that is assigned in English class, but the classics as well. Recommended:
1) The Art of War by Sun Tzu
2) The Odyssey by Homer
3) The Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
4) Hamlet by Shakespeare
5) Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
6) Men of Iron by Howard Pyle
7) Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz
8) The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli * This is the book that people refer to when they mistakenly call it Machiavelli*
9) Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
10) The Bible
11) The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

Pay attention in your math classes! No one can be well educated if he does not have geometry, trigonometry and calculus. Remember, ballistics is part of the branch of physics known as mechanics and as such requires calculus to be fully understood.

Learn a second language! It increases your linguistic skills and helps to understand where our language came from.

Participate in extracurricular activities that interest you, not just what is considered "cool".

Remember; you can't be taught anything unless you are willing to learn!!

Have fun and learn lots!

Twitchy
08-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Dont do what I did my 9th, 10th, and 11th grade years... being, slacking off... Im paying through the nose for it now... I started today as well, my senior year... Everyone pretty much echoed what needs to be said as well, I can't really think of anything else to hit on...

Yeah... 18 pounds of books for me for one class this year, filled a 2 inch binder with coursework for 9 weeks, etc. Tech school is not a walk in the park by any means despite what anyone claims... Our school really screwed us on classes our first few years too if you were not on top of things... This year I'll be taking 4 classes in total... English 4, Math coll. readiness (lol, a joke...), Marine Science 1, and my EMT course which consists of 3 courses in one year, for 4 credits... If you were smart, get your core classes out of the way early so you can focus on something like tech school your junior and senior year if possible if you don't expect to go to college. Besides, having a trade is a great backup plan... If you have any questions, just shoot me a message!

Gearhead
08-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Great advice, guys! Thanks!

I truly think i could count on one hand the people that aren't stupid... the rest are... less than required to eat crayons.
The day went well once I embraced the suck.
Good luck with the year, Twitchy.

Twitchy
08-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Great advice, guys! Thanks!

I truly think i could count on one hand the people that aren't stupid... the rest are... less than required to eat crayons.
The day went well once I embraced the suck.
Good luck with the year, Twitchy.

Thanks! I graduate with my EMT Certification and can go into either Paramedic or Firefighter I&II... ill probably do the fire fighting cert first and get a job and eventually get paramedic after I have experience.

TEOTWAWKI13
08-20-2012, 08:14 PM
One more thing I'd do over again...when you get to take your elective courses, don't always opt for the extra PE class. Take the Auto shop class or the wood shop class. I'm not too technically inclined, but it'd be nice to know a little bit about something.

Gearhead
08-20-2012, 09:24 PM
One more thing I'd do over again...when you get to take your elective courses, don't always opt for the extra PE class. Take the Auto shop class or the wood shop class. I'm not too technically inclined, but it'd be nice to know a little bit about something.

I'm doing NJROTC, which counts as a PE type credit.
I want to take the Machine Tool Technology at the Career Center next year.

Grumpy Old Man
08-20-2012, 09:34 PM
P.S. Don't get too distracted by all the girls! Many an education has been derailed by those delectable creatures.

Twitchy
08-20-2012, 09:45 PM

I second this... Trades are freaking cool AND useful!

ak474u
08-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Read!! Not only the drivel that is assigned in English class, but the classics as well. Recommended:
1) The Art of War by Sun Tzu
2) The Odyssey by Homer
3) The Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
4) Hamlet by Shakespeare
5) Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
6) Men of Iron by Howard Pyle
7) Quo Vadis by Henryk Sienkiewicz
8) The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli * This is the book that people refer to when they mistakenly call it Machiavelli*
9) Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
10) The Bible
11) The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

Pay attention in your math classes! No one can be well educated if he does not have geometry, trigonometry and calculus. Remember, ballistics is part of the branch of physics known as mechanics and as such requires calculus to be fully understood.

Learn a second language! It increases your linguistic skills and helps to understand where our language came from.

Participate in extracurricular activities that interest you, not just what is considered "cool".

Remember; you can't be taught anything unless you are willing to learn!!

Have fun and learn lots!

Not a thing from Col. Jeff Cooper... I'm disappointed. Lol

Gearhead
08-21-2012, 01:46 AM
Those sound like nice books, but I can't read...
I'm not at that time in life where I have time to read.

helomech
08-21-2012, 02:20 AM

I am 40 years old and I have never been at that time in my life. I hate reading. Have not read a book in probably 30 years. I didn't read the ones in highschool I was supposed to read.

Echo2
08-21-2012, 02:38 AM
I read a bunch of magazine articles....but haven't the focus to do novels.....

However....I go through about 2 to 3 audiobooks a month....The Mrs is a library hound....she keeps me stocked up....:)

izzyscout21
08-21-2012, 05:14 AM

T,

Make Time.

M

Sniper-T
08-21-2012, 10:08 AM
^
what he said!

put one in the crapper. whenever you have time to sit and contemplate for a few minutes, read a couple pages. Once you get into a story, you'll find you actually can make time, and will want to

Grumpy Old Man
08-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Not a thing from Col. Jeff Cooper... I'm disappointed. Lol

I consider "To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth" , "Another Country: Personal Adventures of the Twentieth Century" and "Fireworks" to be graduate level reading and best digested after reading the aforementioned books. I left out many that are classics, for instance "Gallic Wars" by Gaius Julius Caesar, "Parallel Lives" by Lucius Mestrius Plutarchus (Plutarch), "The Enchiridion" of Epictetus, "Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin and "Principles of Geology" by Charles Lyell. My personal library contains over 5000 volumes. I didn't even mention classical fiction; I didn't want to overload Gearhead!

To Gearhead, my young friend; Time spent reading is every bit as valuable as time spent in other activities, for in literature is compiled the wisdom of mankind. To not read is to condemn yourself to a life of mediocrity and mundane endeavors. Cultivate your reading skills now and you will be able to withstand the propaganda put out in college courses, the media and the talking heads. Reading is essential to becoming well educated.

And, incidentally, my favorite book (besides the Lyman Reloading Manual) is "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis.

And for Sniper, a little cat

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/GrumpyOldMan53/i-cannot-brain-today.jpg

Sniper-T
08-21-2012, 04:41 PM
... put out in college courses, the media and the talking heads. Reading is essential ...

Now you're talking Grumpy... here is a collection of most of the Lyrics of Talking Heads:

http://www.elyrics.net/song/t/talking-heads-lyrics.html

:)

nice drumsticks on that kitty G.

helomech
08-21-2012, 05:48 PM
I consider "To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth" , "Another Country: Personal Adventures of the Twentieth Century" and "Fireworks" to be graduate level reading and best digested after reading the aforementioned books. I left out many that are classics, for instance "Gallic Wars" by Gaius Julius Caesar, "Parallel Lives" by Lucius Mestrius Plutarchus (Plutarch), "The Enchiridion" of Epictetus, "Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin and "Principles of Geology" by Charles Lyell. My personal library contains over 5000 volumes. I didn't even mention classical fiction; I didn't want to overload Gearhead!

To Gearhead, my young friend; Time spent reading is every bit as valuable as time spent in other activities, for in literature is compiled the wisdom of mankind. To not read is to condemn yourself to a life of mediocrity and mundane endeavors. Cultivate your reading skills now and you will be able to withstand the propaganda put out in college courses, the media and the talking heads. Reading is essential to becoming well educated.

And, incidentally, my favorite book (besides the Lyman Reloading Manual) is "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis.

And for Sniper, a little cat

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/GrumpyOldMan53/i-cannot-brain-today.jpg

Not to start a argument, but you basically just said us (the ones that don't read) or not educated. I do take offense to that. Education and intelligence or not confined to books. I would put my skills at many things against those that have had lots more eduation. Reading a book on Gallic wars or such will not make you smarter, or more educated, unless you field of study is Gallic Wars.

Grumpy Old Man
08-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Not to start a argument, but you basically just said us (the ones that don't read) or not educated. I do take offense to that. Education and intelligence or not confined to books. I would put my skills at many things against those that have had lots more eduation. Reading a book on Gallic wars or such will not make you smarter, or more educated, unless you field of study is Gallic Wars.

I thought I was giving advice to a young man starting his first year of high school. If you choose not to read after you have completed you're education that is your choice. At some point you have had to read and comprehend the tech manuals for the machines you service. So, no I didn't say you are uneducated. BTW The Gallic Wars, also known as Caesar's Conquests, details the strategy and tactics Caesar used to defeat the Gauls led by Wercingetorix. It is a good read for those wishing to study strategies and tactics.

izzyscout21
08-21-2012, 06:54 PM

Helo,

No one's saying that. I agree with both of you. Please allow me to explain..........

Let's throw out all the studies that find reading to be beneficial to your mental health..............

Those of us in older generations than young Gearhead, have the advantage of age and acquired knowledge. Time has given us the gift of learning through experience. Maybe we had the opportunity to have parents who pushed us to learn. Maybe it was our teachers. Maybe we had better standards in school (not a maybe....but I digress)..... Maybe we had the motivation to learn on our own. Maybe reading to us wasn't critical. Maybe it was.

Being in my late 20's now, and looking back at my experiences in life, I share some of the thoughts you shared. I'm not one for higher education. It's just not for me. Maybe one day. I've learned so much from my life experience, it's worth more to me than any book I could have ever read. I work with youth as a Test Administrator for the DoD. I see first hand the failings of our education system, the curriculum, and of teachers, parents, and kids themselves that just don't care. Kid's who don't care if they ever go to college, or tech school, or even learn a trade......let alone read a book. I see on a daily basis the effects of pop culture, and I truly believe it's dumbing down our youth.

Folks like me and Helo have a tremendous advantage over the youth of today. Why? Because we have grown up in a culture that, for the most part, has encouraged learning in one form or another, whether by book or experience.

Most kids of GH's generation are more content to smoke pot, eat cheetos, and live in thier parents basement until they are 40.

I'm an avid reader. I think it helps me personally be more rounded and broaden my horizons and interests. Does reading a book about the Boer War help me in daily life? No.
But what it does do is help keep my mind sharp. It makes me think. It makes me digest and comprehend large bits of information. It also makes me kick ass at home Jeopardy.

You probably have other ways to do this that do not include reading. Everyone is different.

I know Gearhead personally. He's an awesome kid with a shitton of potential. He's very sharp and extremely intelligent. At 14, he is more intelligent and tactically proficient than most professional warriors that I know. He's a solid thinker.
I will encourage him to make time for reading. It's only going to keep him sharp. In today's world, dealing with all the things teens have to deal with, he going to need to be sharp. If SHTF, he'll need it even more.

Echo2
08-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Primitive does not mean stupid.

Will or knowledge will only take you so far.....but combine the two and it is unstoppable.

Being book smart does not make you intelligent.

Wisdom does not come from good decisions.

Live like you will die tomorrow....but learn like you will live forever.

Pay attention when someone over the age of 65 tells you something.....pay closer attention when they are over 80.....there is a reason they are that old.

Respect and manners will open more doors for you than anything else.

helomech
08-21-2012, 07:21 PM
I thought I was giving advice to a young man starting his first year of high school. If you choose not to read after you have completed you're education that is your choice. At some point you have had to read and comprehend the tech manuals for the machines you service. So, no I didn't say you are uneducated. BTW The Gallic Wars, also known as Caesar's Conquests, details the strategy and tactics Caesar used to defeat the Gauls led by Wercingetorix. It is a good read for those wishing to study strategies and tactics.

I am by no means putting down reading, but your post came across as it is a must or you will not be intelligent. I just can't follow books, my wife can read a book and later she can't tell if it was a book or a movie. I don't see books that way, they truly bore me, even books on things I am very interested in. I have to learn by just digging in. I have been taking apart electronic and mechanical devices since I would hold a screwdriver. I don't learn in a school environment. I have been to many schools for different aircraft, and I learn nothing. Give me 2 days on the aircraft and I will have it figured out with no real outside help. BTW I rarely use books to fix aircraft, I just seem to figure it out on my own. When I try to read the book to get information I skip, because I get bored with useless information. There isn't much I can't take apart and fix, I just can't do it by following written instructions.

- - - Updated - - -

Helo,

No one's saying that. I agree with both of you. Please allow me to explain..........

I didn't think he meant it that way, but that is the way it came across.

You probably have other ways to do this that do not include reading. Everyone is different.

I do it by just jumping in. It is really the only way I can learn. I taught myself how to fix cars, reloading, welding, build things with wood, how to hunt, survive out in the woods. To me these types of things just come easy. What I can't do is sit with a book and learn, all I see is words, they don't form pictures in my head. For me to learn something I have to just take it apart and figure it out.

BTW my oldest son starts his senior year on the 27th. He is 17 and will be going to school for half a day and graduating in December. He has all of his required courses and all of the electives that he can take. There is nothing left for him to get. I tried to make him take some extra classes, but I found out he has already taken them. He went talk to a Army recruiter today and is planning on joining either the Army or Airforce. He is not sure what he wants to do yet, but will be taking the ASVAB soon to help him narrow down his choices. My youngest son is 13 and is sure he wants to be a drone aircraft mechanic, he has been saying so for over a year now. Both are A/B honor roll through out their schooling. Any grade under a B results in punishment.

Gearhead
08-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks, guys. Definitely some stuff to consider.

Supposedly, people have different learning types. I can read a book and understand what its about, but I often don't understand the underlying theme, which is what I think Helo is saying. I haven't enjoyed reading... its just something we have to do.

bacpacker
08-21-2012, 11:32 PM
There are certainly different ways of learning, teaching too for that matter. Some teachers I had, I just couldn't focus on what they were talking about. Others could get the point across in just a few words. For me, I have always been a voracious reader., which started very young. I had started reading some stuff by the first grade and while I didn't understand everything was reading novels by the third grade. Newspapers, magazines, books, instruction manuals it really didn't matter. I just enjoy reading and now days I find I just don't have the time to read near as much as I would like and I really miss it.

I have several book cases severley over loaded and a bunch of boxes of them stored. I have collected everything from school books, including some medical reference manuals, to a shit load of history books, fiction, guides, and more than a few classics. I haven't read them all, but I figure one day I will get through them.

I totally agree with Echo, being book smart is not always the best thing. I've know book smart folks that I had to wonder how they kept from getting killed in their day to day life. Others that could read at all that could do damn near anything and never miss a lick. For myself, I like having the balance. But the bottom line, you gotta do what works for you.

Sniper-T
08-24-2012, 11:12 AM
One big thing is will-power. stick to your guns when others want to drag you down

http://media.veryfunnypics.eu/2012/08/funny-picture-no-henieken-no-im-trying-to-study-here.jpg

RedJohn
08-29-2012, 07:48 PM
And please, if you haven't started drinking, or smoking for that matter, then don't! If you have, STOP NOW!

I started drinking at 16 when I entered the Navy and started drinking, binging really because of peer pressure. I had the will power to stop at 18, but had drunk a lifetime worth. Partying does not mix well with studying and life. You'll have time later if you want. By then, you'll be serious enough not to start at all.

helomech
08-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Quitting smoking after 20 years was the hardest thing I have done. I was smoking over 2 packs a day. Been 2 years and I still have the urge to smoke.

bacpacker
08-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Good on you Helo. I am very glad to hear it.

My step dad quit after 40+ years. He agrees that it was very hard, but totally doable. Like you it was just something he knew he needed to do.