PDA

View Full Version : Nerds: Brainiacs and Savants

eagle326
08-22-2012, 01:09 PM
I wish to put this forth to my fellow ants for reviews and thoughts.

In our normal everyday life we prepare for the unexpected in hopes of continuing on with some degree normalcy. We as a whole are learning many techniques to help us and others. I've been pondering lately of all the people who could possibly be of help even if they don't have our skills.

As the title says ; These people may not be able to do many of the things we do but have vast knowledge in many areas we don't and could quite well be very valuable in areas such as total recall on many subjects. Engineering ; gardening ; farming ; weapon building ; repair ; power generation and many many more subjects.

It's my belief that even if they can't handle weapons and fight like us that they have a valuable spot in the clan if managed right. To me it is imperative to have brains along side the brawn to get the job done.

I have a very close friend who's brother in law is quite possibly a functioning Savant. This man does calc. in his head and other math. styles. Draws up plans for various projects and put them down in fine detail to each pieces size and so on without cracking a book or sweat doing it. But as for being a warrior not so much. He's working on 5 different projects at once and keeps everything in his head. All these are for after SHTF though he'll use them now.

I guess my point is ; Should we keep our eyes and ears open for these folks and work them in where possible? I personally believe we should if it's workable.

What say you.

Sniper-T
08-22-2012, 01:30 PM
I think that it is a no-brainer (pun intended). A group of warriors will only be able to do so much to maintain themselves if they don't have other skills. So you would turn out no different than that dipshit in the video who plans on raiding and taking what he needs. If you do not have the mindset, and the ability to farm, build, repair, cleanse, purify, etc. Then you will have no choice but to turn into a ban of raiders taking what you want/need

Every group needs balance. a warrior can be given a shovel, and instructed how to plant a garden, a warrior can be given a wrench and instructed how to turn it, a warrior can be given a water filter, and instructed on how to use it. On the same note, a farmer, a mechanic, or a builder can be instructed by the warrior to fight and or shoot.

Would this make the farmer a warrior? of course not, no more so than turning over a bed and planting some seeds make a warrior a farmer. but it is all a numbers game. One farmer trying to grow enough to feed 30 would be a lot of work, but add in some tutored labour, and it is manageable. One warrior trying to defend an acreage full of farmers would be an equal exercise in futility. Yet, give them a little training, and arm them, and they can stand guard with the warrior, and fight beside him if/when the time arises.

If the grid goes down, and you plan on surviving, you will need one of two things.
1. The knowledge on how to do everything survival related, including but not limited to what was mentioned above, and the manpower to accomplish it.
2. A group of people who, collectively, have the same knowledge as above, and are the manpower to accomplish it.

A group of farmers, are unlikely going to be able to survive long without a gun, and the ability to use it. A group of warriors is unlikely going to be able to survive long without a hoe, and the ability to use it. And Sure, anyone can pull a trigger, or pull a hoe; but just as the former requires finesse (squeeze), so does the latter (not to deep, not too shallow, not too wide)

If I had to put my money on what single focused group of people would have the greatest chance for survival, I would bet on the warrior, as they have the ability to get(take) what they need or are lacking. But at that point, they will cease being human (or ants), and be no better than a feral cat.

IMO

realist
08-22-2012, 02:13 PM
I think this would depend upon the number of people that you have in your group. To have someone like this would be a luxury because they would be an extra mouth to feed. So IMHO these people would have to do work just like everyone else. I may not want to give them a gun if they are not competent with it but they sure can operate a hoe or shovel. People like this would be in dispensable in the rebuilding of a nation after a total collapse. However that would be years off, initially everyone would be in a survival mode. There are many of these types of people who are very capable warriors so all would not be lost. In a total collapse I do not see a high survival rate in those or any people who do not have the proper survival skills.

Echo2
08-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Can a warrior not be a brainiac?

If you choose an answer to this question at random, what is the chance that you'll be correct?

a) 25%
b) 50%
c) 60%
d) 25%

- - - Updated - - -

We have a mechanical and an electrical engineer in our group.

And both are great weapons handlers.

izzyscout21
08-22-2012, 02:43 PM
I would submit to you all that post SHTF, all types of minds will be needed. But the critical key is that the skills to survive will be needed the most. In American culture, the civilians have controlled the warriors since the beginning of our country. Why? Because left unchecked, the warriors of society, any society, can overthrow those (brainiacs) who have no defense. Look around the world: how many military dictatorships exist as the result of coups or have just always been?

Our founding fathers saw this and wisely placed the military under civilian control. I see no reason why the same principles don't apply after a major SHTF/ meltdown event.

Not everyone can be a pipehitter any more than I have the patience to be an accountant. Different folks bring different things to the table. As long as you can pull some form of weight, I can use you.................go count my bullets

- - - Updated - - -

Can a warrior not be a brainiac?

I would like to submit this piece of evidence to the jury:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/32061/1192972-green_beret.jpg

Brainiac warriors.

Men who have the equivalent of a Harvard education in their trade. They have doctorates in diplomacy and master's in chaos.

Yes.

A warrior can be a brainiac.

Echo2
08-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Yes.

A warrior can be a brainiac.

It was a rhetorical question.....:)

We have more reference books than allowed by law....:rolleyes:....I even know what some of them are for....:)

izzyscout21
08-22-2012, 03:24 PM
It was a rhetorical question.....:)

I know..............I couldn't pass up the opportunity

msomnipotent
08-22-2012, 03:41 PM
On the flip side, my husband is a total nerd and I have been called a brainiac on more than one occasion. We either already have the skills or in the process of learning all the skills that we would need. We would be very hard pressed to take in someone that only considers him/herself a warrior. I can shoot a gun. What else would a warrior bring to the table?

helomech
08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
I can shoot a gun. What else would a warrior bring to the table?
A lot more than pulling a trigger.

msomnipotent
08-22-2012, 03:59 PM
A lot more than pulling a trigger.

Nerds and brainiacs can also do a lot more than remember things and solve puzzles. That is my point.

helomech
08-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Nerds and brainiacs can also do a lot more than remember things and solve puzzles. That is my point.

Yeah, some can. But I have met some that could not. Of course it works both ways.

msomnipotent
08-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Yeah, some can. But I have met some that could not. Of course it works both ways.

Could not agree more.

eagle326
08-22-2012, 04:56 PM
I tend to agree with all of you. Yes if they were taken in they could do as stated in previous post. Laundry ; shoveling planting ; picking. Anything to ease the burden on those who take up their slack patrolling ; guarding or whatever. Each case would be different and have to be judged as to how valuable they are to said group.

Some may have no manual skills or be able to learn ; But they may be a awesome problem solver or whatever. I was wondering about this because I felt a lot of them would be over looked as useless when they may actually be a benefit in certain situations.

Echo2
08-22-2012, 05:02 PM
or it could be this guy....

http://brocrastinator.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/dr-sheldon-cooper-quotes.jpg

Grumpy Old Man
08-22-2012, 10:34 PM
^^^^ Too funny! One of my vendor's son works at JPL and he says that they really have captured some of the quirkiest personalities there.

I don't know that I fall into the brainiac category, but I guess I could be called a nerd. My undergrad and grad work was in Geochemistry and I've practiced for 30+ years in various capacities, but left active practice for managing construction materials enterprises. My professional license I keep current. Most of my friends are professionals in the engineering and construction fields. And we do build things and garden and hunt and fish....you get the idea. And we have our own loose knit group to go to the BOL. And we all bring skill sets outside our professional training.

I will say this, repositories of knowledge will always be valuable if for no other reason than to prevent another dark age.

bacpacker
08-22-2012, 11:21 PM
I certainly believe the brainiacs have a major role to play. Some of those folks can "see" things in their heads, most folks have a hard time figuring out when it's shown to them. There will be things down the road that will need to be figured out and if you don't have the intelligence level in your group, how are you gonna handle that?

However this is something that will need to be accessed on a case by case, group by group basis. I used to work with a Ph.d who could tell you anything and everything about high purity germanium radiation detectors. He was brilliant in that area, but outside of talking Notre Dame football, he had a hard time discussing anything else. I just can't see him being able to handle a survival situation. There will be so many things you have to be aware of and he wasn't aware of much of anything outside his little world.

bacpacker
08-23-2012, 01:33 AM
After giving this some more thought, I realized that I hadn't really got thru what I was trying to say. First of all Brainiacs is probably not the best term to use for highly intelligent people. But more to the point, I would hope that everyone recognizes the need for as much combined intelligence in a group as you can get. Whether your group is 2 or 50. The more smarts you have available, the more solutions to problems you with have available. that's always a good thing.

As far as warriors go, I don't really see them as a group as not being intelligent. I don't see how they can learn all that is required to perform any number of missions and not have good intelligence.

Like every other facet of life, I have no doubt their are exceptions to the rule on both sides of this fence. But to me the bottom line is this, gather as much smarts as you can for your group, practices the skills you will all need, whether farming, security, figuring out how best to drill a well, or any number of things. If folks can fill a needed role in your group regardless what it is, why would you not want them?

eagle326
08-23-2012, 10:48 AM
After giving this some more thought, I realized that I hadn't really got thru what I was trying to say. First of all Brainiacs is probably not the best term to use for highly intelligent people. But more to the point, I would hope that everyone recognizes the need for as much combined intelligence in a group as you can get. Whether your group is 2 or 50. The more smarts you have available, the more solutions to problems you with have available. that's always a good thing.

As far as warriors go, I don't really see them as a group as not being intelligent. I don't see how they can learn all that is required to perform any number of missions and not have good intelligence.

Like every other facet of life, I have no doubt their are exceptions to the rule on both sides of this fence. But to me the bottom line is this, gather as much smarts as you can for your group, practices the skills you will all need, whether farming, security, figuring out how best to drill a well, or any number of things. If folks can fill a needed role in your group regardless what it is, why would you not want them?

Well said B.P. As you said warriors are intelligent and have the capability to learn everyday mundane tasks other than just warring.
Many come from varied backgrounds and just add knowledge to their life from things learned in the military. Just look at our colony and you'll see a vast landscape of military ; ex military and ants who never served . Both with a little of each others skill set. That's what makes this colony so special ; The free flow of knowledge to each member.

Yet as you said there are those out there who exceed normal thinking in the sense of knowing ; seeing the problems in a 3-D sort of way in their brains on a variety of subjects. We all do it to an extent but these people do it on a far wider range. Yes they may not to be valuable in a sense in the beginning but they will become useful the longer we survive if not so from the beginning. It's all a case by case judgement for the whole of those involved.

It to me seems better to have them if sustainable than not to have them. As Izzy said ; Go count my bullets. ;)
The wider the range of knowledge the better.

Stormfeather
08-23-2012, 11:06 AM
On the flip side, my husband is a total nerd and I have been called a brainiac on more than one occasion. We either already have the skills or in the process of learning all the skills that we would need. We would be very hard pressed to take in someone that only considers him/herself a warrior. I can shoot a gun. What else would a warrior bring to the table?

I would venture to say, that experience would be the primary thing that a warrior brings to the table. Sure anyone can shoot a gun, but can they take a shot at say 380 meters in 8-10 mph winds from a left to right in a elevated position and hit a pie plate sized target on the first shot? (of course Izzy is going to sniff and say "duh. . even on a bad day. . .") Its things like that, I think that "warriors" bring to the table. Personally, I think the brains should compliment the muscle and vice versa.

ladyhk13
08-23-2012, 11:16 PM
^Hey but I bet a "brainiac" would be the perfect spotter for you.

bacpacker
08-24-2012, 12:20 AM
Loads of math needed there for sure.

GunnerMax
08-24-2012, 02:02 AM
Everyone has their place, but warriors can be taught anything

izzyscout21
08-24-2012, 02:22 AM
I would venture to say, that experience would be the primary thing that a warrior brings to the table. Sure anyone can shoot a gun, but can they take a shot at say 380 meters in 8-10 mph winds from a left to right in a elevated position and hit a pie plate sized target on the first shot? (of course Izzy is going to sniff and say "duh. . even on a bad day. . .") Its things like that, I think that "warriors" bring to the table. Personally, I think the brains should compliment the muscle and vice versa.

I'd never do such a thing..............:rolleyes:

^Hey but I bet a "brainiac" would be the perfect spotter for you.

I had several "brainiac" know it alls in my platoon................I had dreams of hitting them with a yellow fire engine...................

izzyscout21
08-24-2012, 02:28 AM
Loads of math needed there for sure. Calculators............. "Ug like rock. Ug love infantry. Ug like calcumalator..............shootem big stick.............this rock heavy.............."

ladyhk13
08-24-2012, 02:32 AM
One of these days some of you are going to be so sorry that you are dissin' smart people like you are. Just saying. I think I'm going to move on to a nicer thread now.

izzyscout21
08-24-2012, 02:42 AM
One of these days some of you are going to be so sorry that you are dissin' smart people like you are. Just saying. I think I'm going to move on to a nicer thread now.

Not dissing smart folk, I consider myself to be one......problem lies in when people are too smart for their own good or think they know more than they do.

Take my platoon mate, "PFC. O.". Nice as nice could be. Super smart kid........I mean really intelligent.....Sheldon Cooper smart.....
problem is, he had no common sense and thought himself to be an expert about everything. He wasn't. He couldn't walk through the PX parking lot without almost dying in traffic.
He even tried to psycho-analyze me when I yelled at him. Smart guy..............dumber than a horse turd.....................yellow.....fire.....truck .......

Echo2
08-24-2012, 02:45 AM
I'd never do such a thing..............:rolleyes:

I had several "brainiac" know it alls in my platoon................I had dreams of hitting them with a yellow fire engine...................

So....why yellow?

Gunfixr
08-24-2012, 03:04 AM
While any idiot can pull a trigger, a warrior can take the fight to the enemy, or even know when the trigger doesn't need to be pulled.
There's more to making war than just pulling a trigger.
Nonetheless, the less warrior-like but smart about more mechanical type things are also important.

Most everybody brings something to the table. All can work together like the spokes of a wheel.

Except for maybe the self-aggrandizing know-it-alls with egos so large they can't through a hangar door.

But then again, somebody needs to fertilize the garden.

J/K

izzyscout21
08-24-2012, 03:14 AM
So....why yellow?

because it was different.

All kidding aside...... Guys let's reconsider what's being said here.

A lot of guys are coming out and saying "warrior this and warrior that.....blah, blah".

I want everyone to consider something. I don't believe that any one group of people will be any more valuable than another. I'm not a Thomas Edison any more than he was a gunfighter.........

Guys, personally for me, I don't want to live in a world where everyone is a warrior.

Those of us who are.....or have been there....done that....and have the scars:

Guys, WE represent humanity at it worst. We represent failure.....the failure of law, peace, and civility. We've seen the horror and atrocities caused by other "warriors".
Do we really want to surround ourselves with more of us?

Look, I'm not saying that we're evil. I'm proud of what I've accomplished, as we all should be. I regret nothing I've done. However.....

It takes a special type of person to dedicate himself to the demise of others and the art of warfare. We're brutal monstrosities when the switch is flipped.

I long for the day when we are obsolete, but until then, I take pride in being a pipe-hitter. I stand to protect the nerds, the brainiacs, and the every day joe. They are our future, like it or not.

Echo2
08-24-2012, 03:28 AM
Anyone who gets off on doing harm to another human needs to have the reigns pulled in....but being able to do it when necessary is a trait that will be necessary in the event.

Some folks are protectors...some folks need protected....there will inevitability be a need for both.....as there is now....just on a different level.

BTW....being a protector can mean hunting and removing the threat....not just defense.

Why not a yellow submarine?....:)

izzyscout21
08-24-2012, 03:35 AM
Why not a yellow submarine?....:)

submarines are really hard to find on Army bases............:cool:

LUNCHBOX
08-24-2012, 05:40 AM
As stated, the word warrior is being thrown around alot. I'm sure everyone can agree that a warrior is needed but no more or less than the nerd. Besides, how many of you have ever truely sent rounds downrange....I would place a guess that most of those nerds would do whatever it takes to protect his/her family just as we would. Warrior or not, we are in this together. Hell, I'll take the nerds if nobody wants them. Numbers will make the difference.

Stormfeather
08-24-2012, 11:47 AM
because it was different.

All kidding aside...... Guys let's reconsider what's being said here.

A lot of guys are coming out and saying "warrior this and warrior that.....blah, blah".

I want everyone to consider something. I don't believe that any one group of people will be any more valuable than another. I'm not a Thomas Edison any more than he was a gunfighter.........

Guys, personally for me, I don't want to live in a world where everyone is a warrior.

Those of us who are.....or have been there....done that....and have the scars:

Guys, WE represent humanity at it worst. We represent failure.....the failure of law, peace, and civility. We've seen the horror and atrocities caused by other "warriors".
Do we really want to surround ourselves with more of us?

Look, I'm not saying that we're evil. I'm proud of what I've accomplished, as we all should be. I regret nothing I've done. However.....

It takes a special type of person to dedicate himself to the demise of others and the art of warfare. We're brutal monstrosities when the switch is flipped.

I long for the day when we are obsolete, but until then, I take pride in being a pipe-hitter. I stand to protect the nerds, the brainiacs, and the every day joe. They are our future, like it or not.

Amen Brother. Nice to know someone else gets it.

izzyscout21
08-24-2012, 12:08 PM
the word warrior is being thrown around alot.................... Besides, how many of you have ever truly sent rounds downrange.....

Also this^^

Grumpy Old Man
08-24-2012, 04:01 PM
<<<<<<<<Nerd,Brainiac, Savant for rent! Questions answered; none too large, none too small. Ores discovered, extracted and smelted. Chemical compounds produced. Equations solved; trajectories calculated. Soils analyzed. Specialty concrete produced. Custom reloads. Flies tied; fly rods built. While I have not sent rounds down range in malice, I have sent plenty down range in the last 50 years. Oh yes, horses broken to saddle, hooves trimmed ( I'm mediocre at setting shoes), tack repaired, bosels and mecates fabricated.

ladyhk13
08-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Grumps you are my favorite nerd ever (ok, yeah I know - we need concrete help but still, you're my fav gramps oops, Grumps :) ) I sure wish you and MsO would move to TN! We'll take you guys down here anytime!

izzyscout21
08-25-2012, 12:13 AM
I sure wish you and MsO would move to TN! We'll take you guys down here anytime!

I second this motion.

The Stig
08-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Far too many broad brushes being used in this discussion.

Everybody has skills, everybody has weaknesses. Those skills transcend simple labels like warrior/smart person. And if you limit the discussion to only those two labels there's some really smart warriors and really smart people that can go all mid-evil on your ass if needed.

If you find someone you can trust (highly key) and band together then work to highlight their positives and minimize their weaknesses.

Further, your SHTF event might happen so quickly you don't have time to do some sort of bizarre warrior/nerd decision making matrix. You band together and survive the best you can in the heat of the moment.

bacpacker
08-25-2012, 03:43 PM
That pretty much sums it up.

eagle326
08-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Far too many broad brushes being used in this discussion.

Everybody has skills, everybody has weaknesses. Those skills transcend simple labels like warrior/smart person. And if you limit the discussion to only those two labels there's some really smart warriors and really smart people that can go all mid-evil on your ass if needed.

If you find someone you can trust (highly key) and band together then work to highlight their positives and minimize their weaknesses.

Further, your SHTF event might happen so quickly you don't have time to do some sort of bizarre warrior/nerd decision making matrix. You band together and survive the best you can in the heat of the moment.

Exactly right in your assertion Stig. One has to have smarts to become a good warrior and know when to use it and to be able to turn it off when not needed as Izzy stated. And there are those with smarts who aren't warriors but have the potential to become one when properly enlightened.

Maybe I didn't ask the question right when I posted it. I was thinking of the odd ball person who has more brain power than manual power but is useful in the minor task at hand.

Sniper-T
08-25-2012, 04:57 PM
I used to hang with a guy who fit that bill to a tee^ he could recite the periodic table and explain every relation from one to the other. But he didn't know which end of a shovel to swing. when instructed, he was pretty much useless at anything manual, as he just didn't have the motor skills to perform simple or complex tasks.

Completely useless? Well, he helped me for 2 days swapping a motor out in a car. "hand me this, hand me that, hold this here, dont move, get that, turn it over, etc" without his help, it would've taken half as long. He seemed not much different than a young child, who wants to help, but doesn't know what to do, or how to do it. by the end of those 2 days though, he knew what all the different screwdrivers were called, knew the difference between a box end and an open end wrench, knew how to set a torque wrench, knew how to unclip a wiring harness, etc. just like a child, anyone can learn, if given the right teacher, and time. No, I don't think he would have ever mastered a shovel, but he came in handy stabilizing the wheel barrow, getting drinks, measuring depth, watching the grade, etc.

There is always a job for everyone, somewhere, doing something. It is up to the leaders to utilize the resourses properly.

bacpacker
08-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Everyone has certain tasks that give them a challenge. Firguring out the periodic tables would give me a fit.

eagle326
08-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Everyone has certain tasks that give them a challenge. Firguring out the periodic tables would give me a fit.

That's easy B.P

Periodic Tables ----- Where you sit periodically. See how easy that was old buddy. :p

Sniper-T
08-25-2012, 06:39 PM
wow... you really could've helped. he kept going on and on about atoms and weights, and groups... and to think, he wasted 6 years in university taking Bio-nucleo-chemi-something or other.

lol

ladyhk13
08-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Just remember that water is the only molecule that can take on all three forms (liquid, solid and gas) and has a high surface tension due to the strong bond between hydrogen and oxygen because they complete each other's outer shell to form 8 atoms and you have 1 hydrogen to each 2 oxygen so you are forming a triangle after triangle all connecting and it's totally wicked strong.

Gunfixr
08-26-2012, 02:50 AM
I wouldn't throw out the nerds at all.
Hell, in school, I was called one.
Have I sent rounds downrange? No I have not. I was going to join the military out of HS, but got a knee injury instead. Could I? I certainly think so, and friends who have put rounds downrange think so, so maybe they see something I don't.
But I can also help you build a building, and help with the wiring, and the plumbing. I can help with some things on the vehicle. I can usually come up with an answer to the problem, and then do the manual implementation. I've been told I'm loyal to the point of my own demise. I can patch clothes, and do some cooking.

If that makes me a nerd, then so be it. Really, nerds have made much of society, and they will be needed to rebuild it.

PS: and I can keep the warrior's weapons running.

ladyhk13
08-26-2012, 07:19 AM
You are a gun fixer that doesn't shoot? That's weird. Are you a nerd or something? :)

Echo2
08-26-2012, 12:18 PM
You are a gun fixer that doesn't shoot? That's weird. Are you a nerd or something? :)

It's called a "gun geek"....funny though....I never got picked on for being one...:)....what about you Gunfixer?

ladyhk13
08-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Gun Geek............very cool :) Should be under his name!

Stormfeather
08-27-2012, 05:29 AM
Just remember that water is the only molecule that can take on all three forms (liquid, solid and gas) and has a high surface tension due to the strong bond between hydrogen and oxygen because they complete each other's outer shell to form 8 atoms and you have 1 hydrogen to each 2 oxygen so you are forming a triangle after triangle all connecting and it's totally wicked strong.

. . . .and its refreshing!

Gunfixr
08-27-2012, 09:39 PM

No, I think you misunderstand.

"having put rounds downrange" in this thread meant having been in combat.

I've done plenty of shooting, just not at anything that was shooting back.

I've had bullets whizzing by my head, and they weren't ricochets, but were fired by another person in my direction. At first I took cover, and then went to return fire, but they were leaving.

- - - Updated - - -

It's called a "gun geek"....funny though....I never got picked on for being one...:)....what about you Gunfixer?

Yeah, but then I got picked on for just about everything.

ladyhk13
08-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Got it...ok, blonde coming through.............duh. Hey, but I can unzip DNA and put it back together again.

izzyscout21
08-28-2012, 12:28 AM
I had to dig around my old files, but I found this......
goes really well with this thread.....

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/random%20thread/484634_10152041847525195_1193623977_n.jpg

Gunfixr
08-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Izzy, I was just looking at your above post when my wife arrived home from work. She so desires a copy of that pic.
As you have my email addy, is there any way you can send it to me?

Warrior or not, yes I would stand between the enemy and those I care about.

Someone once asked me why I would fight should our freedoms here be threatened, when it wasn't my fight. I explained that it was everyone's fight, if it were their freedoms that were threatened. I also pointed out that I would much rather have my children be free to stand about and discuss how my death helped them to stay free, than sit across from me, enslaved, and ask why I had not done anything when I had the chance.
I also apply this to their survival. Meaning, if my death is required to ensure their survival, then so it will be.

Not that I wish to die, for I do not. But there are things worse than death.
Standing by and allowing evil to befall those I care about is one of those things.

That's ok, LadyHK, for taking apart DNA and putting it back together again is also an important skill.
None of us know everything.

bacpacker
08-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Very well said GFixer.

ladyhk13
08-28-2012, 04:51 AM
Gunfixer....or as I also tell dh 'I can shoot you and then I can sew you back up' so at least I'm worth something.

Sniper-T
08-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Gunfixr, If you 'right click' on the photo, a dialog box will pop up, and then you can 'save as' and take a copy of that, or any other picture.

eagle326
08-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Gunfixer....or as I also tell dh 'I can shoot you and then I can sew you back up' so at least I'm worth something.

And if by chance Lady13 can't save you ; I have the tools and ability to build you one fine going away coffin.

ladyhk13
08-28-2012, 11:49 PM
And if by chance Lady13 can't save you ; I have the tools and ability to build you one fine going away coffin.

And if you can't get here in time I can start it for you since as my dh tells everyone "I love this girl, she came with her own power tools" but he still can't figure out why I would buy a worm drive circular saw. I figured it was heavy enough to stay put and it had a nice long base so I could stay on track. What can I say?

Taz Baby
08-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Just putting this up for my 2 cents worth. I have a long response coming that I haven't finished yet on this thread. A lot of different ways of thinking on here.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/305219_478041772214983_1964409139_n.jpg

izzyscout21
08-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Just putting this up for my 2 cents worth. I have a long response coming that I haven't finished yet on this thread. A lot of different ways of thinking on here.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/305219_478041772214983_1964409139_n.jpg

perfect.

Gunfixr
08-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Thanks Sniper, got both.

eagle326
08-29-2012, 02:09 AM
And if you can't get here in time I can start it for you since as my dh tells everyone "I love this girl, she came with her own power tools" but he still can't figure out why I would buy a worm drive circular saw. I figured it was heavy enough to stay put and it had a nice long base so I could stay on track. What can I say?

Say it isn't so B.R.R. ; Worm drive is the BOSS of circular saws. Cuts fast ; straight ; powerful.
Kinda like Lady 13 right big guy. ;)

Taz Baby
08-29-2012, 05:24 PM
There are a lot of things on this thread that is very interesting. I can not quote everything and remember it all either. But I will try to cover some.

As far as putting a label on people that is not what I do. All people are humans and have the same capability of learning. Now it is up to them on what they want to learn.

From the time you are born you start leaning, but the parents are teaching. By 6 months old you are being told what to say and how to say it, and then the cycle starts. What to eat, how to eat, walk, talk ect. You are taught everything from your parents. For example, if you were told that one of your neighbors were bad, then you would grow up thinking that they are, that is until you were old enough to start asking questions of why. Then you are learning to think on your own. If you are lucky enough to have parents that let you come to your own conclusion and not just say it is because I say so, then you can see that there is more than one side of the coin. Everyone has their own smarts to them and each one is different than the other. Plumber vs a carpenter. They both have the same way of thinking, but the carpenter thinks more on the structure of the house and the plumber thinks more on the inside structure. What I am getting at is that everyone needs smart, nerdy, brainy, stupid people around them for a lot of reasons.

I do not have any degree in anything, no college, ect. But I have tried to learn a little about everything I can. I have street smarts, common sense, imagination, and the willing to learn. That are the kinds of people you want in your group. The one’s who have more knowledge in some areas and the willing to learn anything. I can come up with an idea on something that can be useful but I have no idea on how to make it, So I would need a person with that brainy brain to tell them what I want and for them to draw up the plan to build it and another one to make it work. It all boils down to no one person is better or worse than the next. They are just different. You have to figure out what kind of person you need in your group that will benefit you and yours. I will take all the weird, brainy, Sheldon type of people any day, also the lazy people. They are not really lazy, they just need someone to give them a reason to do something and feel needed.

I hope this all makes sense.

eagle326
08-29-2012, 08:30 PM
You are right in your thought process on this subject Taz.This is why I posted it. A lot of people will think that they don't need these farther out than us type thinkers because they don't fit the image of someone worthy of surviving or being able to.

But we as preppers tend to think outside the box to begin with as a whole. These type of people are just further out there. Yes they may seem like a lost cause but as you stated most anyone can be of some kind of help if the right person or persons take them under their wings. They may not contribute much in the beginning but if the group survives long enough to start rebuilding their various talents will enhance our thinking to a higher level which is good for all in the long run.
Now this is not to say that all of them will work out. Some won't and we'll have to deal with that when the time comes. But to leave them hanging in the wind because they don't fit a certain mold is a waste of mental enlightenment and progress.

For example ; I'm a jack of all trades but I don't know weaponary like Izzy; Gunfixr ; Stig ; Mintunnelrat ; Kodiak and many other members . But I've built ; made or repaired many things in my almost 62 years . Thus the teaching of different trades with in this colony is what sets us apart from other web sites. We can all be brought up to speed on various task because we know that knowledge is survival. And we know that these people at least deserve the chance to contribute to it's prosperity in the long run.

We are only as good as the least of us.
We must try and make sure that people like them are at least given a chance to contribute.

Hope this makes sense Taz.