PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming FTX later this month

mitunnelrat
05-07-2011, 03:53 AM
This one will be a bit easier on me than February's because my Eureka Solitaire is back in rotation, thus I won't need to build a shelter.

That also means I'll have more spare time to fill in my 24 hour total. So... anyone have anything they'd like to see tested or done? I'm a bit risk averse, so no Bear Gryll's style shenanigans, but I'll try most anything within reason if I'm equipped for it and can do so safely.

mitunnelrat
05-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Ok. Nobody has anything they want to see field tested? Come on! Throw some challenges at me! I'd rather try, and fail, than not try at all. And if I'm gonna be doing this I might as well tailor the experiences to interests here and share them to advance our collective wisdom.

I'm only out for 24 hours, and I'm well enough geared I could just plop down somewhere near a fishing hole and relax. Instead I'm saying "Challenge me."

Do it.

I dare you! ;)

The Stig
05-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Different fire starting techniques

Cooking with trioxane fuel if you have any

Try catching an animal with a snare

mitunnelrat
05-11-2011, 07:57 PM
I ditched all of my trioxane when I learned it didn't work well with my Natick canteen cup stove, but its cheap enough I'll happily pick some up to test alternatives for effectiveness. I need to do that anyway, its more readily available to me than the esbit fuel tabs, so a side by side comparison of the two from that stove is definitely in order.

And different fire starting techniques? I'm begging you not to ask me to try the condom method! I can however, do an MFS eval, show a PJ cottonball in action, and I really should get to learning how to use a bow & drill.

I'll do a review on my Eureka Solitaire as a matter of course on this one, and I've got the little Coleman stove I won from the February trip to use and show on another forum, so I'll include that here as well. Otherwise, until I come up with or get some more ideas its just a matter of spending the time and hoping a fish bites or a possum walks in front of me. I think I'll take the AR with a 5 round magazine (hunting legal) on this trip.

The Stig
05-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Folks....take advantage of what Mitunnelrat is offering us here. We don't all have time to test out every last thing we have (even if we know we should) but he's offering to do some work for us.

Notice MI's karma title......there's a reason it's there. For him to offer his time to test something out for us is very cool and much appreciated.

mitunnelrat
05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks again for kind words. These little excursions are imperative events in my view, so I've made sure I plan time for them throughout the year under various conditions. I've had illnesses, injuries, and gear failures that weren't any fun under normal conditions. I share those as they come up as well as the successes.

So far this year I've had a winter outing, which I've reviewed here in another thread. I have this one for spring conditions. My next trip will be over 3-5 days in August for summer, and a final overnighter planned for late fall in November.

I forgot to mention in my last post that snaring is illegal in Michigan except during a limited time frame in winter that is further limited to fox and coyote. I don't remember if its open in February, when I'll do another winter outing, but if not I'll definitely be doing it as a hobby, and can discuss it as its own topic then. I'll be trapping other species around the same time frame, so I can discuss that then as well.

bacpacker
05-12-2011, 02:43 AM
MI Thanks for the offer. The esbit vs trioxine test should be interesting, I have both stoves and have never taken time to test them out.
For fire starting, do you have a flint/steel to work with? Also very interesting about the bow and drill.
Since you are planning on fishing, how about trying some of the gear from your bugout kit. That might prove interesting.
Thanks for the offer to try stuff our and report here. That is very gracious.

mitunnelrat
05-12-2011, 04:34 AM
I don't have a flint/ steel, but I'm pretty sure that's within my budget this week as well. My BOB's fishing gear is actually a collapsible pole and reel, so there's really no difference from my full fishing kit, so I'll try the fishing components from my PSK for this. I can tie a hook/ line to some 550 cord and see how I do with that. Good idea!

RedJohn
05-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Ok, what is a FTX?

The Stig
05-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Ok, what is a FTX?

I don't know for sure, but I think it means Field Training eXercise. Just a guess.

mitunnelrat
05-12-2011, 12:38 PM
The Stig nailed it. I used the term in an attempt to differentiate this and future trips from normal camping trips. The difference being, in general, that I consume better food, more beer, and have more "luxury items" on a camping trip :D

RedJohn
05-12-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't know for sure, but I think it means Field Training eXercise. Just a guess.

That would make sense.

The Stig
05-12-2011, 12:50 PM
The Stig nailed it. I used the term in an attempt to differentiate this and future trips from normal camping trips. The difference being, in general, that I consume better food, more beer, and have more "luxury items" on a camping trip :D

I'm guessing there's a fair amount more farting involved in camping too.

I mean, FTX's are serious business right?

:)

mitunnelrat
05-12-2011, 01:22 PM
lmao... You just jogged a hilarious childhood memory! The first time my older sister swore in front of my parent's involved a camping trip, some of that good food I mentioned, and bunk beds in a travel trailer. She was in the bunk above, and without getting too detailed, I'll simply say that I was given a warning. "If you do that one. More. Time. I'm gonna KICK YOUR ASS!" There was dead silence from shock all around, until my step dad lost it and started laughing.

The rest of my night was spent in silence though. Uncomfortable, agonizing silence.

I will neither confirm nor deny any such issues in my adult life though! ;)

bacpacker
05-12-2011, 04:16 PM
I don't have a flint/ steel, but I'm pretty sure that's within my budget this week as well. My BOB's fishing gear is actually a collapsible pole and reel, so there's really no difference from my full fishing kit, so I'll try the fishing components from my PSK for this. I can tie a hook/ line to some 550 cord and see how I do with that. Good idea!

MI, not sure what kind of water you'll be fishing in, but with the 550 cord you might try rigging up a trot-line. In a survival situation that would allow you to be fishing while doing other chores. You would only need to check it ssay morning and evening to see what you caught and to rebait the hooks. Something to consider.
I loved the story about your sister, reminds me of old days growing up. :)

alpmco
05-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Ok, what is a FTX?
I think it stands for "Fire Extinguisher Training". That would figure with the request to experiment with fire starting. Hummm ... couple that with the "fair amount more farting involved" and it really makes sense.

mitunnelrat
05-12-2011, 08:50 PM
The fire extinguisher training and too much farting could indeed go well together, especially if you get the lighter a little too close after saying "Here, hold my beer and watch this!"

Grumpy Old Man
05-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Even though you're probably not over 50, I'll break the rules and tell you early one of the things old guys live by: "Never trust a fart".
The meaning will become apparent after you reach 50.:o

bacpacker
05-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Grumpy you gotta be refering to the world famous "SHART"!

Grumpy Old Man
05-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Yes indeed! A fact of life as one gets older.

alaska
05-17-2011, 03:10 AM
ok so ummm, your offering to test equipment is that correct?

mitunnelrat
05-17-2011, 03:22 AM
If I have it, or can afford to pick it up, and it doesn't have me swinging through the trees like Bear Grylls, yes.

alaska
05-17-2011, 03:29 AM
Do you have any "pocket saws" i have seen a few that look like wire. 1 is called pocket chain saw
Pocket Chainsaw - NWBackpack.com (http://www.nwbackpack.com/products/pocket_chainsaw.php)
Just looking for an option other then machete or hatchet to put in the bag

mitunnelrat
05-17-2011, 03:47 AM
I have both varieties actually, so I can definitely include them.

alaska
05-17-2011, 04:03 AM
Sweet.

mitunnelrat
05-20-2011, 02:42 AM
I ended up choosing to postpone this trip for various reasons. I can either do some of the things requested in the backyard over the next couple days, or get to them when I do make it out. Just let me know.

alaska
05-20-2011, 02:45 AM
bummer

bacpacker
05-20-2011, 08:53 AM
For my part I would say wait till you get to go out on a ftx.

mitunnelrat
05-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Ok. I've picked a new date now. I'll be going out Friday morning and coming back in on Saturday. I won't be able to post right away though, I've got a trip to the zoo planned for my future step-daughter that morning.

biggcarl
05-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Just saw this thread. My idea, one knife, fixed blade, and it's snapped in half. (only if you have a cheap knife you don't mind snapping)

Or no knife at all. Perhaps one razor blade instead.

bacpacker
05-26-2011, 12:58 AM
I liked the idea of testing the pocket chainsaws. I've considered getting one, but have never heard anything about them. Didn't want to waste my money.

mitunnelrat
05-26-2011, 04:28 AM
Just saw this thread. My idea, one knife, fixed blade, and it's snapped in half. (only if you have a cheap knife you don't mind snapping)

Or no knife at all. Perhaps one razor blade instead.

There's a lot of things I'll do for good cause, but I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request on this one ;) Can you explain why you'd like to see that please?

biggcarl
05-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Well, 1st I have an idea or 3 of how I'd make the broken piece semi-useable. However, I don't want to mention it as not to influence what you might do. 2nd, if my knife did break, I have ideas on what I could use to cut besides rocks. But once again I don't want to influence your ideas.

The razor idea was to give you something that would cut but not be as universal like a knife. It could be used to filet a fish but useless for spilting wood.

So that the beginning of my thought process.

mitunnelrat
05-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Ok. I've already gone through this, and not even on purpose! Rather than do it again on purpose and risk my fingertips/ hands on rigging something in the rain I'm expecting I'll just show you my response to this problem now.

As I've said, I've unintentionally broken cheap knives in the past. This Kabar copy from Frost Cutlery is my most extreme example, of course, I was abusing it.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/035.jpg
The result and its replacement are in this thread (http://www.shtfready.com/equipment-basic-supplies/michael-morris-custom-knives-280.html).

From the two pictures and reading around the forum you can discern a few things about my approach. First, I carry different tools for different jobs. I have a saw for cutting lengths of wood, a hatchet for splitting kindling, and an entrenching tool for digging. Second, I carry a back up knife. I prefer fixed blades over folders, and carbon steel over stainless. They're also different sizes to facilitate daily carry and to support different levels of cutting. I got the smaller of the two customs after misplacing my CRKT Falcon and declaring it lost.

My multitool also has two blades, one serrated, one straight edged. It doesn't like to lock so I don't count on it for regular use, but will use it for light work when its handy. It and the Falcon are my contingency knives.

Then, for true emergencies with no other options available I have a pocket survival kit (http://www.shtfready.com/equipment-basic-supplies/pocket-survival-kits-psks-42.html). I have two scalpel blades in it and fashioned a handle from a wire coat hanger for them. You can see a poor pic of it in the linked thread.

All of this is to say I recommend making proactive preparations against loss or breakage ahead of time through buying the best quality you can afford, carrying a back up of some sort, and carrying tools appropriate to the tasks you want completed. Its much safer and easier, imo, than reacting to damage or loss during the moment.

mitunnelrat
05-26-2011, 02:19 PM
I liked the idea of testing the pocket chainsaws. I've considered getting one, but have never heard anything about them. Didn't want to waste my money.

I bought the pocket chainsaw years ago and only just used it once last winter. It worked, but I didn't run it against my folding saw to see how well. I also just recently got the wire saw, so I'll be able to use all three and to flesh out my opinion.

bacpacker
05-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks MI. I tried a very cheap wire saw years ago that came in one of the old RAMBO knives. HUGE waste of money, althought not much. The knife blade sanpped at the handle, wouldn't hold an edge, and the wire saw broke 1st time i used it. Big waste of $20.
I have been looking at the true chainsaw bladed saw with rope handles. They look like they will hold up. Just never spent the cash on it.
Looking forward to reading your review's.

mitunnelrat
05-27-2011, 01:24 AM
I had a knife like that once. I offloaded it before it could break on me, but still have a few of the components from inside. Chiefly the button compass, a flat whistle, a mini signal mirror, and a pencil stub ;) I had more, but I lost or consumed some things over time. I can't complain for $10

By the way, I did a little reading, and the ferro rod on my magnesium fire starter appears to be a smaller version of the traditional fire steel. The technique is definitely the same.

mitunnelrat
05-27-2011, 08:21 PM
Ugh. "My bags are packed, I'm ready to go..." and my car is deadlined. I've had an ongoing problem with the fuel system that my mechanic has already figured out, but hasn't had any openings to fix yet. Today marks the second time the car didn't fire right up, and the first I've drained the battery trying to crank it over. Bottom line, it isn't dependable enough to leave with my fiancee, and her car won't be available for another hour or two.

I'd have 3-4 hours of daylight to work with that way, which means I could manage it, but I don't want to go out for 12 hours and spend 8 of them sleeping. Stay tuned, this setback is nothing more than a setup to a comeback! ;)

bacpacker
05-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Keep on pluggin. It's gonna work out soon. Your luck sounds like mine :)

izzyscout21
06-01-2011, 02:13 PM
that sucks, dude.

mitunnelrat
06-04-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm roughly 1/4 mile from my winter site, I have all of my gear, and my schedule is free. I'll see ya'll tomorrow!

bacpacker
06-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Damn that'd be so much better than sweatin my ass off hoeing taters.

mitunnelrat
06-05-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm back, and currently uploading my pics. The review will follow later.