PDA

View Full Version : 2,400 Calorie S.O.S. Food Bar review

msomnipotent
08-23-2012, 06:38 AM
I ordered the 2,400 Calorie S.O.S. Food Bar from Emergency Essentials on 4-8-11, and given their shipping history, I probably received it the next business week. It sat in my car through Midwestern cold winters and extreme heat this entire time. I put in it my console as soon as I received it in the mail so it has been siting in my car either in a parking lot or uninsulated garage for more than a year.

I just opened it last week because we were starving after an ill-timed meeting 1 1/2 hrs away from our home. My husband, who is one of those that can eat and eat and still be somewhat skinny had a full bar, felt good enough until we got home. My young daughter and I got full before we finished our bars, but we are both light eaters. The texture was kind of greasy at first, and kind of like a grainy shortbread cookie. Smelled a bit like coconut shortbread cookie, but not a lot. I hate coconut and this was just enough. It wasn't gross or even slightly inedible. We were very hungry and it tasted pretty ok. I think it might have been just our brains, but we wanted drinks with this. This is supposed to be for low-water situations and not make you thirsty, but we were thirsty.

My husband and I opened some more today because we were in the car for hours and missed dinner. And I missed lunch. The texture was much less greasy, but much more crumbly. No smell this time. We had a Capri Sun but didn't feel like we needed it. One of the wrappers were already off from just opening the package last time, but it was still edible. All in all, a definite buy again.

Pics to add later! Sorry!

bacpacker
08-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Good review. I have meant to buy a few of those for my ghb but never have. That is something i need to pick.

Sniper-T
08-23-2012, 12:05 PM
I've got a few of these kicking around too. in the truck, boat kit, snowmobile. My wife always packs some along when we do an extended canoe or camping trip. They're edible but nothing special. although a smear of peanut butter goes a long way in improving taste.

They do say 'low water' not 'NO water'. You do need to drink something with these, or they will upset your tummy.

msomnipotent
08-23-2012, 01:22 PM
My tummy was ok without a drink, thank God. I didn't realize you were supposed to drink with this. What would I have done if I was stuck in traffic with an upset stomach? Bleh!

Sniper-T
08-23-2012, 01:55 PM
lol. a couple years ago, my wife got serious into running so she started using those energy gels and didn't realize that they require water too. so imagine her 15 miles into a run, down one of the busiest streets in the city, hurling into peoples yards and onto business stoops

msomnipotent
08-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Oh, I was thinking of adding energy gels to my stash in the car. Good to know!

Willie51
08-23-2012, 02:55 PM
I have the same ones stashed in BOB, GHB, boat, and truck. Good info and great to know since we haven't tried ours yet after being in hot vehicle.

izzyscout21
08-24-2012, 02:34 AM
I can;t have nice things like this around............I get hungry to often.............they go right to my chin............

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-24-2012, 02:44 AM
You'll find these bars or something similar to it in life boats on cruise ships, Coast Guard, Navy and other Civilian crafts. It's actually a requirement for their inventory. During my stint with the Navy we went from "C" rations to Hard candies, to these bars. Also we had canned water, now it's in plastic containers. I find the bars quite tasty. Great thread and good intell.

Be safe..............the night is your friend.

ladyhk13
08-24-2012, 09:34 PM
My tummy was ok without a drink, thank God. I didn't realize you were supposed to drink with this. What would I have done if I was stuck in traffic with an upset stomach? Bleh!

Open door and puke. Just not around me, I'm a sympathy puker. It makes me sick even to clean up after my dogs. Thank God my kids didn't get sick hardly ever. :)

Willie51
08-24-2012, 11:40 PM
A "sympathy puker" ? I can see it now....LMAO. LadyHK, that is a good one. :)

Kodiak
08-25-2012, 06:20 AM
Lunchbox and I opened up a package of these (Datrex bars) a few weeks ago on our trip up north, all in all i didnt think they were to bad. I actually ate a few of them with lunch throughout the week just to finish off the opened pack, i would def recommend them.

LUNCHBOX
08-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Lunchbox and I opened up a package of these (Datrex bars) a few weeks ago on our trip up north, all in all i didnt think they were to bad. I actually ate a few of them with lunch throughout the week just to finish off the opened pack, i would def recommend them.

Just to finish off the pack....there were 18 bars in the package. HAHA. J/K, they didn't taste to bad for the basic ingredients that were listed. I would say eating them if really needed wouldn't be that bad at all.

Kodiak
08-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Just to finish off the pack....there were 18 bars in the package. HAHA. J/K, they didn't taste to bad for the basic ingredients that were listed. I would say eating them if really needed wouldn't be that bad at all.

Don't worry i still have some left for you!

Echo2
08-26-2012, 06:15 PM
I got one of the 3600cal ct in the kit.....is a very good supplement....to a couple MRE entres and some peanut butter and honey.....they have to weight a pound plus.

The Stig
09-01-2012, 12:17 PM
You know, I've often thought about picking up some of those but have always been afraid they would taste like ass.

Thanks for the review. Good stuff.

Katrina
09-07-2012, 05:33 AM
Thanks ms for the review I was also thinking to get some for the GHB for DH. He's planning on driving to South Dakota this November to visit his family (I gotta work, bummer). He'll be stopping off in Des Moines to visit the niece and family, We got new grand nephew, makes two grand kids for his brother.
I'm allergic to coconuts so I would have to be in dire, dire need to eat one and make sure I have the allergy meds with me if I had to eat one.

msomnipotent
09-07-2012, 05:53 AM
Oh, I never thought to check for allergies. I can't eat shellfish, which is in a surprising amount of food. It obviously isn't in these bars. But the ingredients do list coconut and not just coconut flavoring.

Sniper-T
09-07-2012, 10:13 AM
^ and I cannot eat coconut. And it is surprising how many things have coconut something or other in it.