PDA

View Full Version : Is your spouse on board with the whole "Prepping" thing?

Echo2
08-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Just as the title says....is you SO on board with your ideology?

Mine is.

ladyhk13
08-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Yup. Totally.

Willie51
08-24-2012, 08:52 PM
100% :cool:

Sniper-T
08-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Small scale, predictable events, 90%
large scale, collapse/apocolypse events, 0%

She is on board for being prepared for power outages, fires, blizzards, flood, etc. Anything beyond that, she thinks is silly. money is better spent buying $5.00+ coffees, lunches, and shoes than preps of any kind.

It's an uphill battle

*sigh*

ladyhk13
08-24-2012, 09:15 PM
For all you men whose SO are on board I would like to extend the invitation for them to join the site and the Ladies Forum if they haven't already. Women preppers are a very small population in comparison to the men and we would welcome each and every on of them :)

PM me if you have any questions.

Evolver
08-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Yeah I would say mine is 100% on the same page as I and even a tad more.

bacpacker
08-25-2012, 01:18 AM
Pretty much. I am very happy about it to.

TEOTWAWKI13
08-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Nope. Not even the least bit. I'm just paranoid and crazy.

Taz Baby
08-25-2012, 04:33 PM
150% We think alike. DH is the mastermind and I am the one with idea,s. We work side by side with everything, except when it comes to washing dishes.

Sniper-T
08-25-2012, 04:40 PM
awe, c'mon Taz... give the guy a break! Suck it up and help him with the dishes!

;)

Willie51
08-25-2012, 04:56 PM
awe, c'mon Taz... give the guy a break! Suck it up and help him with the dishes!

;)

I agree here Taz, my wife helps me with the dishes all the time. :)

Foulball
08-26-2012, 02:04 AM
About 25% on board for earthquakes only. Anything other than that she thinks is ridiculous. Oh well, doesn't stop me from anything.

Gunfixr
08-26-2012, 02:27 AM
Pretty much, not as much on the weapons, but fine on all the rest.
She didn't used to be, but she finally started to see for herself how things were going, and got on board.

The only forum she'd go on is facebook.
That damn site has almost split us apart once already.
Shame, as I think she'd have a lot to give and receive on a forum like this.

izzyscout21
08-26-2012, 03:49 AM
When we're in the tornado bunker, I'm a genius.

When she's stepping over ammo and gear, I'm a lunatic.

Taz Baby
08-26-2012, 02:23 PM

;)

I help with the dishes. I put food on them, he eats and I wash them.

4suchatimeasthis
08-27-2012, 04:02 AM
Weather/accidents/break ins/small scale shtf = yes.

TEOTWAWKI = nope. Eyes glaze over at any talk of conspiracies, politics, aliens, bank runs, or a new world order.

But I can't complain, the man busts his hump with and for me, working this farm, getting it the way we want it, and to me that is the most important prepping of all anyway, TEOTWAWKI or not.

Fatty
08-27-2012, 05:29 AM
I say 100% because when the time comes, she won't have the choice:)

Stormfeather
08-27-2012, 05:48 AM
Shes onboard, When she married me, she knew what she was getting into. Made it clear right from the get go, turns out, shes quite handy and had quite a bit of knowledge of her own to contribute!

realist
08-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Nope, but at least she tolerates me. She understands earthquakes like everyone out here but when it comes to the long term then like Sniper I am just some lunatic.

ladyhk13
08-27-2012, 11:10 PM
^you mean you aren't??? :)

Sniper-T
08-28-2012, 11:25 AM
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/firefly873/Lunatic.jpg

msomnipotent
08-29-2012, 03:50 AM
My husband wasn't at all on board until recently. He still isn't all that on board, but is much more tolerant.

Kodiak
08-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Mine is on board. While i would like to spend a ton of $$ on preps, she keeps me grounded so we are prepping on a budget.

Onestep
08-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Mine understands and is on board for natural disasters. TEOTWAWKI, not so much.
I'll take what I can get.

The Stig
08-31-2012, 01:29 AM
Mine understands and is on board for natural disasters. TEOTWAWKI, not so much.
I'll take what I can get.

That's pretty much where Mrs Stig is right now.

I'm just glad she's supportive of the short term events since we're far more likely to deal with a bunch of time in our lifetimes.

rice paddy daddy
08-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Yep. The wife and I have been on the same page since before Y2K. We are a good team. Where I am weak, she is strong, and vice-versa.
She takes care of the food and livestock, I take care of security and building/fixing things. She is actually in charge, and I have absolutely no problem with that.

carolinasurvivalist
09-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Yep, she is as into it as I am. Except for the guns and knives. She is glad I like to shoot and own guns but she herself has never shot one. Have gotten her to the range about a half dozen times...one step at a time.

Katrina
09-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Mine is ok with being prepared for "emergencies" but not the whole "doomsday" idiocy as he calls it. But as I've said before he hasn't stopped me from trying to prepare. He DID put up my shelves in the basement for the pantry and is clearing out the garage of the 12 +years of junk in there. Can't wait to see his face when the freeze dried order gets shipped to the house LOL. We have the standby gennie because of all the times we were without power (in the old house) so that made sense to him to install that.

ladyhk13
09-05-2012, 05:48 AM
Yep, she is as into it as I am. Except for the guns and knives. She is glad I like to shoot and own guns but she herself has never shot one. Have gotten her to the range about a half dozen times...one step at a time.

Well tell her to open her own membership here and join the other Ladies! Some shoot, some don't..we all have different strengths. We would all welcome her.

carolinasurvivalist
09-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Well tell her to open her own membership here and join the other Ladies! Some shoot, some don't..we all have different strengths. We would all welcome her.

I told her there were some active female members here. Hopefully she will join up.

Onestep
09-05-2012, 05:19 PM
If she does get into shooting CS, you will probbaly find her to be a better shot then yourself.
Mrs. OS is a better shot with a rifle, I'm probably better with a pistol and she has progressed very well with the bow & arrow that if she concentrates, she's dead on. She is slowly moving up in poundage as well.

bdcanefly
09-14-2012, 02:53 AM
my wife barely puts up with me, so far I pay 100% of preps...
sometimes I think its time for a new wife..

BDC

Taz Baby
09-14-2012, 02:55 AM

BDC

Na, just get her to look at this one and she will be joining it. We have a great ladies section here.

Sniper-T
09-14-2012, 02:15 PM

BDC

I mused this aloud not too long ago, except I used the word 'another' instead of 'new'...

:eek:

bacpacker
09-14-2012, 03:14 PM
T, are you sure you can afford "another"?
:)

Sniper-T
09-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Well, I keep telling my current one that if she would get another full time job (in addition to the one she has and her part time one) then I could officially retire. My logic was that another wife with a full time and a part time, would be easier, and I could retire sooner.

ak474u
09-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Just remember, marriage is grand, but divorce is a hundred grand. I'm glad mine is on board, although she has this weird thing about paying bills before buying ammo, and more guns. I've tried to get her to seek therapy for this condition, but she is resistant to the idea.

Gunfixr
09-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Mine has very recently got way more on board.
She's been having this bad feeling lately, and she's antsy.
Her "bad feelings" aren't usually very far off the mark, if at all.
When, a couple days ago, I suggested some training together, so's we wouldn't kill each other if anything happened, she had no hesitation.

Those feelings must be pretty bad.

Dropy
09-17-2012, 05:43 AM
She is onboard and proactive.

4suchatimeasthis
09-20-2012, 02:30 PM
I think my husband is a little more on board today.

This morning we were surveying the work done on the lean to yesterday. We had been considering extending it to dbl it in length. Then I told him about this neat hand pump I found line, about how it only used 12 lbs of downward pressure, and how it could be hooked up so we could still have water all over the house in the event of a power outage. After we came back in the house I sat him down and had him watch Glen Becks "War on the Dollar" video clip that just came out. His response was "I guess we can't extend that lean to this year, we better get that well pump squared away". Of course, he wasn't thrilled about it, it was said with great resignation.

Now he is in a grouchy damn mood, out mowing the lawn (his "get-away" from reality, his happy place, is mowing the lawn).

If you salt his oats, there's a much better chance the horse you lead to water will be interested in a drink.

Sniper-T
09-20-2012, 03:46 PM
^
That's my happy place too!

You need to cheer him up: Take him a drink, make his favourite meal, Give him the remote, give him a foot rub, do all of this naked.

He'll come around

4suchatimeasthis
09-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Good point, Sniper.....cooking neked is dangerous, btw. I mean.....not that I would know.....cough...

Echo2
09-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Good point, Sniper.....cooking neked is dangerous, btw. I mean.....not that I would know.....cough...

Ever heard of an apron....it covers most the pink parts when cooking....:)

4suchatimeasthis
09-20-2012, 09:34 PM
A bunch of men advocating aprons only while cooking...wow, shocker! I would do it on a dare, but only if he wears one mowing the lawn!

See, *this* is why I moved to the country, to start a nudist colony :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, I think one good way to approach this whole topic to a non-prepper spouse or S.O. is to talk about the plans/purchases that would take place anyway, teotwawki or not, the ones that are beneficial to have anyway, and go from there. Like that well pump I am now drooling over. It's just plain good sense to have one. We lose power every time a good gust of wind comes along, and we live in an area that gets tornadoes, and ice storms.

What I am trying to say is, make prepping a win/win, shtf or not. The well pump works in our favor, shtf or not. We are looking to pick up some meat goats. Raising our own meat works in our favor, shtf or not. We like to eat meat, and dang if it's not gonna get expensive, raising the goats will help our grocery bill NOW, shtf or not. Converting the horses electric fencer to a solar powered one, that will benefit us shtf or not, it will bring our electric bill down. Having a garden, the food is healthier, it's free but the seeds, blood, sweat, and experience. It benefits the food costs now, and will be a staple if shtf. That's a win/win. Focus on the win/wins with your spouse, and show them how prepping isn't just beneficial someday, maybe, possibly, if all hell breaks loose. It can be useful NOW!

prepguide
09-21-2012, 12:56 PM
As a preparedness consultant I have had to occasionally deal with a client who has a spouse or significant other who is not into the lifestyle. I will admit up front that it is in no way one of my favorite things to do but its part of the job from time to time. The approach I have found that works best for me is to discuss preps from an insurance point of view. I remind the client and partner that they may pay auto insurance, renters insurance, health insurance, etc and having more supplies on hand is the same as having insurance. I am also careful to be respectful of the non preppers point of view.

Often times I find that their resistance is based on either the lack of or bad information regarding preparedness. I will freely admit I am not always successful at changing minds but I give it my full effort and attention. Prepping is hard enough when both people are on board. I was fortunate in that my ex-wife was into the lifestyle as well and was very smart when it came to finding ways to add to our preps.

Gunfixr
09-22-2012, 05:59 AM
That was basically how I explained it. Insurance against any type of bad times.
Several times it has already been helpful, so that didn't hurt. Fortunately, she spent some of her childhood living out in the country, far enough out that there were times when simple weather would keep them at home for a week or two. Her parents were apparently prepared for these times, so it was no big deal.

Hell, when Isabel came through awhile back, and the power was out for the better part of two weeks, it almost kinda sucked when it came back on. We didn't (still don't) have a generator or go chasing ice either. Ice trucks would show up at different spots around town on different days, it was advertised on the radio. From what we heard, the lines were horrendous.

The Stig
09-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Yep...I think most people understand prepping when presented as insurance or to deal with everyday events like hurricanes or blizzards.

When it's presented as getting ready for total MadMax societal collapse when we'll be fighting off the CFR inspired hordes of UN gun grabbers....it's not really shocking that people or spouses would resist.

greg48
12-03-2012, 08:53 PM
this is where my wife is, "there may be a big snow storm, but the economy is not gonna crash and there is not gonna be roaming gangs etc..."

ladyhk13
12-04-2012, 05:37 AM
I cannot get mine to stock up on water and he's a member here. He says we have a creek and a Katydine that will do over 13K gallons of water before we even have to think about changing the filter on it. I don't want to drink creek water or go down to the creek especially in the winter. Somebody PLEASE talk to him! :)

Sniper-T
12-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Sometimes it is tough to get the rat out of the river. Especially if the water is brown.

Try not telling him... buy a couple cases, and place individual bottles everywhere. one in every cupboard, one in every drawer, one in every closet. tuck one into every pocket of every item of clothing you two own. Finally he'll have had enough, and just tell you to put a couple cases with the rest of the supplies. At which point you're in like flint, because your idea of a 'couple' can be vastly different than his version. But by then it'll be too late. And just think, if SHTF, then you'll have a million bottles that he can refill from the creek.

;)

Sorry BWRR! lol

izzyscout21
12-04-2012, 01:07 PM
I cannot get mine to stock up on water and he's a member here. He says we have a creek and a Katydine that will do over 13K gallons of water before we even have to think about changing the filter on it. I don't want to drink creek water or go down to the creek especially in the winter. Somebody PLEASE talk to him! :)

LOL........now who does that sound like????

Swatttc
12-04-2012, 03:33 PM
I ve been a prepper for about 20 Years. Kinda of kept it low key until a few years ago when my wife approached me and began to explain to me why we needed to start prepping. i was speechless! it was like a dream come true. since that time she has grown leaps & bounds in her thought process and survival skills. The lord has blessed me with an amazing woman

rm3482
12-05-2012, 12:53 AM
I was also depending on our local lake for our water, but when I started thinking about biological or radioactive contamination it got me thinking about stocking up on a independent source of water. Also if you have a gang of thugs surrounding your house waiting for you to give up the goods how long can you last with the water you have saved up or the lack of water you have? Just a couple of thoughts.....

mitunnelrat
12-05-2012, 06:08 AM

Not gonna be me! That's a long way to travel and not be welcome next time I visit ;)

ladyhk13
12-07-2012, 12:58 AM
LOL........now who does that sound like????

Yes I do and tell her I said hello :)

- - - Updated - - -

I ve been a prepper for about 20 Years. Kinda of kept it low key until a few years ago when my wife approached me and began to explain to me why we needed to start prepping. i was speechless! it was like a dream come true. since that time she has grown leaps & bounds in her thought process and survival skills. The lord has blessed me with an amazing woman

That is really cool...why don't you invite her to the site? We have several couples here and we are always looking for more gals...we are so outnumbered and always getting ganged up on! That Sniper T is a mean one! :p

- - - Updated - - -

I was also depending on our local lake for our water, but when I started thinking about biological or radioactive contamination it got me thinking about stocking up on a independent source of water. Also if you have a gang of thugs surrounding your house waiting for you to give up the goods how long can you last with the water you have saved up or the lack of water you have? Just a couple of thoughts.....

Exactly! That is what I've been thinking. Not too worried about the thug part but if the water is contaminated, how long can we last with the small amount we keep on hand for our regular use? We really need A LOT more, and that's not even counting bathing or cooking.

ladyhk13
12-07-2012, 12:59 AM
Not gonna be me! That's a long way to travel and not be welcome next time I visit ;)

Awe, you are the master negotiator......you can do it!

mitunnelrat
12-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Ok, if you say I am, I must be...

But I should point out the mark of a master is in how well they fix their mistakes

And you can't get any better at fixing a mistake than in knowing how to avoid it before making it ;)

ladyhk13
12-07-2012, 11:10 PM
^you are too funny

bdcanefly
12-19-2012, 05:14 PM
my wife...my wife... on board... hell, she does not even care about me....think she preps?...

I need a new wife...

BDC

spirit
01-14-2013, 01:46 AM
My wife thinks I lost my mind

ladyhk13
01-14-2013, 04:26 AM
My wife thinks I lost my mind

A lot of spouses start out that way but many times come around. Don't give up.

Domeguy
01-14-2013, 05:24 AM
I am proud to say that domegal and I have been prepping together before we even knew we were preppers. I don't know if I could do it by myself if she wasn't onboard.

Metrocruiser
01-15-2013, 05:29 AM
My wife was onboard until she saw the cc invoice for my maxpedition, katana, bates boots and 2 more knives. Now Im in the doghouse.

spirit
01-15-2013, 08:53 PM
oops

msomnipotent
01-16-2013, 07:49 PM
My wife was onboard until she saw the cc invoice for my maxpedition, katana, bates boots and 2 more knives. Now Im in the doghouse.

I consider myself lucky because my packages usually arrive well before my husband gets home and I can shred the receipts. It also helps to be the one that is in charge of the checkbook and pays the bills. There has been a few times when a shipment was delayed and arrived on a Saturday. His irritation rises with the weight of the package. You should have been there when my super pail of wheat came in.

Katrina
01-25-2013, 04:55 AM
Know what ya mean ms, Part of my order from Emergency Essentials showed up today. Three large boxes DH had to shove' em into garage because he couldn't lift them. Got one more coming soon. He still thinks I'm crazy but he loves me.

Metrocruiser
01-28-2013, 05:50 AM
I consider myself lucky because my packages usually arrive well before my husband gets home and I can shred the receipts. It also helps to be the one that is in charge of the checkbook and pays the bills. There has been a few times when a shipment was delayed and arrived on a Saturday. His irritation rises with the weight of the package. You should have been there when my super pail of wheat came in.

Boy oh boy would a no holds barred prepper shopping spree be a blast. I think we should start this as a new thread. "What prep gear would you buy if you came into some money. Lets say $500K" oh, and of course, if the spouse is on board because she has the other $500K to blow on whatever she wants.