PDA

View Full Version : GHB breakdown

2die4
08-24-2012, 10:26 PM
My first GHB. I normally carry a Rush 12 for EDC on the weekends so this bag was created to supplement that.

Quick EDC bag loadout- Boonie hat, monocular, lighter, TP, Toilet seat covers, hand sanitizer, advil, a smaller first aid kit, Surefire, extra batteries, a smaller flashlight, 2 folder knives, travel size bug juice, extra Iphone cable.
Before the Army moved us to NY I was carrying a Glock 36

MY GHB- La Police gear bail out bag. Loaded but still have room to spare.

http://i.imgur.com/4hBYl.jpg

Gerber Multitool w/ sheath, bug juice, fire striker, Muslin Triangular Bandages. (intention is to use as a bandana or face mask), matches in waterproof container.

http://i.imgur.com/z30xm.jpg

2 chem lights, 2 sets of ear plus, 2 boxes of matches, 50ft of 1550lbs tensile strength rope.
http://i.imgur.com/CkKkv.jpg

1 mre , 3 bottles of water, dust mask, IFAK with med supplies, magazine holder for 2 mags(will actually carry extra mags once I get out of The People's Republic of New York), 5x7 tarp. *not shown* two cheap rain ponchos

http://i.imgur.com/tCj5i.jpg

*Stashed in the vehicle* 1-mre, 2-windbreakers

Stuff that will be added in the near future:
Whistle
Compass
10-20 feet of 550 cord(thinking it may be redundant considering I have 50 feet of rope)
At least 2 more Mre's- this will be put into the vehicle
a vial of bleach or water purifier tabs
combat boots for The general and me
extra socks.

Thoughts?

LUNCHBOX
08-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Your kit doesn't look bad but I have what might be a stupid question....Why do you have ear plugs?

I only asked because if something kicked off I would want to hear everything going on around me.

IMO, you can't go wrong with extra 550 cord.

2die4
08-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Your kit doesn't look bad but I have what might be a stupid question....Why do you have ear plugs?

I only asked because if something kicked off I would want to hear everything going on around me.

IMO, you can't go wrong with extra 550 cord.

Not much shtf use really. I have always had spare earplugs in the car when we would regularly go to the range. At less than an ounce I figure I just shove the ear plugs in there.

550 cord will be added.

Hmm maybe the could be used as a fire starter....

slowz1k
08-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Nice bag, and well thought out. I think if it were up to me, I would add a lighter. You have a butt load of matches and the fire starter, which is good redundancy, but a lighter can make things a lot less frustrating in a time of stress.

I might add a small SS cup or SS water bottle too.... Something that you could heat/cook/purify in.

izzyscout21
08-29-2012, 01:00 AM
where's the butt wipe? I keep a few rolls of TP in mine. you cant go wrong. Wipe your butt, or light a fire.

I had to cut the sleeves off one of my shirts to wipe my tail once on a fishing trip. Never forgot the TP again.

ak474u
08-29-2012, 05:12 AM
where's the butt wipe? I keep a few rolls of TP in mine. you cant go wrong. Wipe your butt, or light a fire.

I had to cut the sleeves off one of my shirts to wipe my tail once on a fishing trip. Never forgot the TP again.

I second the recommendation for Sh*t tickets. Try hiking home with squishy pants, not fun.

GunnerMax
08-30-2012, 01:12 AM
Looks great... I cannot wait for you to get out of the unconstitutional state and get armed up

2die4
08-30-2012, 03:02 AM

I do have some in my EDC bag but not enough. TP is one thing you can never have enough of.

2die4
08-30-2012, 03:04 AM
Looks great... I cannot wait for you to get out of the unconstitutional state and get armed up

Trust me brother I can't wait either. Funny thing is, it's been 3 years but some days I can still feel it there on my hip. Phantom feeling.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-30-2012, 03:05 PM
I found one thing I could never do without is that stupid battery powered head lamp. Damn things are(hands free) "multi-taskers", and they have many different types. Haven't tried the "Blood tracker" yet so I can't tell you if they work. But they're great in caves!

Be safe............the night is your friend.

Sniper-T
08-30-2012, 03:40 PM
^
The 'blood tracker' ones are 'meh' at best. If there is a good bleed, then they do ok, but if the animal is lung shot and expiring a mist (as they often do), then a plain white light and a paper towel work 100x better.

I agree 100% on the hands free lights. I have some regular ones, but 90+% of the time, I just use a cap light:

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=2005&ID=40412

A buddy's company is looking to market these:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Headwear/Mens-Camo-Ball-Caps%7C/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104380380/i/103957380/Cabelas-4-LED-Camo-Cap/1380354.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fclot hing-mens-hunting-clothing-mens-hunting-headwear-mens-camo-ball-caps%2F_%2FN-1102434&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat103957380
and when he does I'll probably pick one up for hunting season

bacpacker
08-31-2012, 12:25 AM
Totally agree! I've been using those for years backpacking, working on cars, caving, all kinds of uses. We have 2 older model Petzels we've had for 20+ years that still work great, original bulbs even. We've gotten a couple of LED types the past few years and they are decent, but don't compare to the Petzel's. Last fall I found a 60 lumen Petzel for $30 at a local backpacking store. That thing is very nice. I've used it periodically over the past year including one backpacking trip and still on the first set of batteries.

I will be getting a few more of these. Hands free is the way to go.

Dropy
08-31-2012, 01:34 AM
maybe a couple energy bars, maps of the local area/state. Some cash/coins. smalll fishing kit. Dump the rope and replace it with para chord?

Just some thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a couple tea bags or instacoffee and steel cup? couple mints and/or chewy gum. these help break the monotony and give you a way to bleed off stress.

The Stig
08-31-2012, 01:35 AM
More trauma gear? Maybe an Israeli bandage and an H&H chest seal. That would cover most any deep wound and sucking chest wounds without taking up a ton of space.

There's all sorts of ways you can bang yourself up so bad you require trauma gear and it not even be in the middle of a SHTF event.

2die4
09-01-2012, 03:27 PM
maybe a couple energy bars, maps of the local area/state. Some cash/coins. smalll fishing kit. Dump the rope and replace it with para chord?

Just some thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a couple tea bags or instacoffee and steel cup? couple mints and/or chewy gum. these help break the monotony and give you a way to bleed off stress.

The General and I are not coffee drinkers. Although we love the crystal light and poweraide mixes you can throw into water. Perfect to supplement lost electrolytes hiking or running with gear on. Didn't even think about that. Para
Cord is in the bag now. Keeping the rope for towing purposes. I'll probably make it a permanent addition to the SUV.

I do need some maps of my AO. Lot of Forrest up here. Easy to get lost.

Fishing kit is on my SHTF to do list.

2die4
09-01-2012, 03:33 PM
More trauma gear? Maybe an Israeli bandage and an H&H chest seal. That would cover most any deep wound and sucking chest wounds without taking up a ton of space.

There's all sorts of ways you can bang yourself up so bad you require trauma gear and it not even be in the middle of a SHTF event.

You are right that I'm lacking trauma gear. Working on getting bandages and seals. Quick clot also comes to mind as well. As far as a chest seal there is always improvising. Clean side of an mre bag and enough medical tape will work as a seal.

Socalman
03-11-2015, 01:01 AM
I have had GHBs in our cars since before I knew what a GHB was. Here in So. Cal. I am more prepared for roads to be blocked due earthquake damage. I am prepared to live off my bag for about 3 days in an emergency. We carry clean socks and some extra undies. In the years I have carried that bag, I have used it 3 times --- all for first aid when coming upon auto accidents. The last time was a bad head-on in the mountains that involved 3 cars. The vehicle just ahead of me was driven by a paramedic and his wife who was a former paramedic. They had NO first aid gear and were quite happy with all the latex gloves, bandages and tape I was able to supply. They were able to provide treatment to the four badly injured people until the ambulances could get on scene.

robsdak
03-11-2015, 04:49 AM
I have had GHBs in our cars since before I knew what a GHB was. Here in So. Cal. I am more prepared for roads to be blocked due earthquake damage. I am prepared to live off my bag for about 3 days in an emergency. We carry clean socks and some extra undies. In the years I have carried that bag, I have used it 3 times --- all for first aid when coming upon auto accidents. The last time was a bad head-on in the mountains that involved 3 cars. The vehicle just ahead of me was driven by a paramedic and his wife who was a former paramedic. They had NO first aid gear and were quite happy with all the latex gloves, bandages and tape I was able to supply. They were able to provide treatment to the four badly injured people until the ambulances could get on scene.

nice reviving of this post. :)

as for the GHB/BOB to me are essentially the same, as my needs are different than others. in addition i also carry a fully stocked Tri Fold Med Bag, for life's little emergencies.

bacpacker
03-12-2015, 01:26 AM
Read my mind Rob! I have a old Trifold med bag in the truck, loaded with all kinds of stuff including a small surgery kit. I don't have the skills for some of it, but I'd rather have the gear in the case someone that knew how to use it and didn't have their own gear with them.

robsdak
03-12-2015, 01:54 AM
Read my mind Rob! I have a old Trifold med bag in the truck, loaded with all kinds of stuff including a small surgery kit. I don't have the skills for some of it, but I'd rather have the gear in the case someone that knew how to use it and didn't have their own gear with them.

i am not a doctor, by any means. that was the thought i had when i started carrying it with me, but have since taken the steps to be more proficient in it's use.

Domeguy
03-12-2015, 01:13 PM
It looks like i have a lot of unnessassary crap in my bag? ?how much does your bag weigh full! excluding things you might be carrying! such as weapons.

robsdak
03-12-2015, 01:49 PM
who's bag? my tri-fold? about 11 lbs. it's not a carried bag, just rides in the back seat.

bacpacker
03-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Mine is something like 5 lbs.

Domeguy
03-13-2015, 07:31 AM
How much does your full GHB weigh?

Domeguy
03-13-2015, 07:43 AM

robsdak
03-13-2015, 09:35 AM
Mine is something like 5 lbs.

i was guessing. i put it on the digital bath scales and it comes in at 8.24 lbs. i carry full bottles of peroxide, alcohol and the like.

mine? it's a Maxpedition Jumbo VersiPack and it comes in at 21.47 lbs. the Janus Pocket that i have on the Jumbo is my personal first-aid/meds. i also carry a CamelBak Ambush. these weights are less knives, pistol and ammo. just the bare basics to get me home. as said in an earlier post 'my needs are different than most'. between the 2 bags i could stay out and away for a little bit.

bacpacker
03-13-2015, 12:02 PM
I've never weighed mine. But with no gun or ammo, I'm guessing 15 to 20 lbs.

Domeguy
03-14-2015, 04:04 AM
I'm at 45lbs, I believe I do have too much crap in it. But I don't think I could make it home without my champagne and
caviar.

bacpacker
03-14-2015, 03:54 PM
Mine is somewhat minimal. I want to be moving as fast as practical if I'm in that boat. From work I have 35 miles to go, one small town to traverese, and 2 rivers to cross if the bridges are blocked. Actually 1 river, 1 lake.

Domeguy
03-14-2015, 07:33 PM
- - - Updated - - -

I must admit I packed mine with my wife in mind. If it was just myself, I would probably loose 1/2 of the contents within the first five minutes. So, you do t think I need the BeDazzler?http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/gantsum/bd898fdef3fbcc9de3d4d4902e770f2e_zpsbb081271.jpg

bacpacker
03-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Only if she wants to tote my stuff

2die4
03-25-2015, 05:04 AM
It looks like i have a lot of unnessassary crap in my bag? ?how much does your bag weigh full! excluding things you might be carrying! such as weapons.

Mine is about 8 lbs. Most of it is due to the water bottles and the 1 mre I have in there. I think the rest of the stuff I have in there don't even add up to the weight of my macbook.

Domeguy
03-30-2015, 02:51 AM
Mine is about 8 lbs. Most of it is due to the water bottles and the 1 mre I have in there. I think the rest of the stuff I have in there don't even add up to the weight of my macbook.

My bag is a lot also for my wife also. Could you give me a break down as to what is in yours, and is it completely only for yourself?

2die4
03-31-2015, 05:34 AM
My bag is a lot also for my wife also. Could you give me a break down as to what is in yours, and is it completely only for yourself?

My bag hasn't really changed since my original post. I have added a space blanket, rape whistle and compass to the bag since then. Extra clothes and footwear are in a small plastic box in the trunk.

The wife’s kit mirrors mine to a point. I added almost the exact same GHB things in her bag. (I do have to cuss her out from time to time because she gets in her bag to grab the waters and forgets to tell me to restock.) I did leave out the rope. Since she doesn't carry an EDC bag, a similar inventory was added, bandaids and pain releivers. Gave her a Boonie hat, 2 packages of travel TP , Toilet seat covers, hand sanitizer, a flashlight with extra batteries, 1 quality folder, travel size bug juice, extra Iphone cable and battery pack, space blanket.

Gear she would be utilizing: she would be wearing the boonie at all times. First reason, she would burn up in the noon day sun if she wasn’t covered and the second reason was for the grey man approach, with her hair pulled up in a bun and from the back carrying a backup it would be hard to tell from afar if she was a woman. Knife and flashlight would be in her pockets or in hands.

All in all, Her GHB is doubled the size of her purse. I initially went with a standard backpack but the wife wanted a sling bag with molle. With creative placing of the molle pouches, she is able to move freely and doesn’t feel “weighed down”

I do plan on adding an empty camelbak to both our cars. That would take the water bottle weight out of the GHB bag and allow both of us to carry more water comfortably if we wished.

My first GHB. I normally carry a Rush 12 for EDC on the weekends so this bag was created to supplement that.

Quick EDC bag loadout- Boonie hat, monocular, lighter, TP, Toilet seat covers, hand sanitizer, advil, a smaller first aid kit, Surefire, extra batteries, a smaller flashlight, 2 folder knives, travel size bug juice, extra Iphone cable.
Before the Army moved us to NY I was carrying a Glock 36

MY GHB- La Police gear bail out bag. Loaded but still have room to spare.

http://i.imgur.com/4hBYl.jpg

Gerber Multitool w/ sheath, bug juice, fire striker, Muslin Triangular Bandages. (intention is to use as a bandana or face mask), matches in waterproof container.

http://i.imgur.com/z30xm.jpg

2 chem lights, 2 sets of ear plus, 2 boxes of matches, 50ft of 1550lbs tensile strength rope.
http://i.imgur.com/CkKkv.jpg

1 mre , 3 bottles of water, dust mask, IFAK with med supplies, magazine holder for 2 mags(will actually carry extra mags once I get out of The People's Republic of New York), 5x7 tarp. *not shown* two cheap rain ponchos

http://i.imgur.com/tCj5i.jpg

*Stashed in the vehicle* 1-mre, 2-windbreakers

Whistle
Compass
10-20 feet of 550 cord(thinking it may be redundant considering I have 50 feet of rope)
extra socks.

Thoughts?

Alas Babylon
05-18-2015, 05:12 PM
I have camelbac bladders in my bags (3 cars = 3 bags), and some type of water filter. I travel 35 miles to work, so that bag has more than the wifes bag or spare bag in the pickup. My main bag has a katadyn pump filter, the other two have life straws of something similar that can go inline with the drinking tube on the bladder. Otherwise they have about the same stuff as mentioned here, plus a rain poncho.

bourneshooter
05-24-2015, 12:54 AM
Have you thought of storing something like the MSR Dromedary in your bags and just keeping a flat of water in the car to fill it up with? Keep 72oz in bottles in the bag then having a 2 or 3 liter bag you can fill up from the car water on hand.

Would make water carry uploading really easy.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water/storage/dromedary-bags/product

bacpacker
05-24-2015, 02:31 AM
One of my GHB's has a 2L Platypus inside. My plans exactly for it.

bourneshooter
05-26-2015, 06:03 PM
I carry a basic load of 3 liters with the 2 liter MSR to supplement.

A 24 pack of water is usually in the vehicle and I bring 2-3 liters on the road for in vehicle drinking while traveling.

Kesephist
05-26-2015, 10:49 PM

I'd wager one of my Morgan ounces that, as soon as things settled down, they availed themselves to at least one Navy corpsman/Army medic - class medic's bag with as many goodies within as law allows. Something >I< need to scrape up, myself.

I'd further recommend a 100 ct bottle per GHB (and yes, dummy I am, I still don't know what it means) of a generic multivitamin, and, knowing I'm liable to be bitched at for mentioning it... so be it... a further bottle, each 50 ct, of No-Doz or other caffeine tablet, and Nytol. There are flat out some times when gutting out a night of needing to be awake is not going to be enough, and far better caffeine than some of the other prescription stimulants out there. The accompanying jitters is where the Nytol comes into play.

Kesephist

Kesephist
05-26-2015, 11:20 PM
Whistle
Compass
extra socks.

Thoughts?

UST makes a 5 in 1 tool that could take care of the whistle and compass.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/theshorelinemarket_2366_31495975

The underside of the compass/cap is a 25c-sized mirror. Doesn't come with matches, if the bleach comes in a small enough container, park it there.

Boots... break them in NOW, as there is no more grievous ache than breaking in new boots out in the boonies. Voice of experience, here.

Spare laces. Make one of them 550-cord-macrame bands everyone's making, but out of each spare lace. I mind some combat boots have a loop on the back of the upper to help pull them on, that's where I would park the spare lace band. That or thread it through the lacing at the very bottom eyelets of each boot, above the tounge but under the lacing itself.

However many pairs extra socks... add another pair.

Buck Bantam or other good locking back/locking blade folding knife. NOT a dam' liner lock. An extra knife is never a bad thing. A sheath with a honing stone in it would be excellent. Honingstone with sparking stone on back would be top flight as long as it didnt add more bulk.

Kesephist

tc556guy
05-16-2016, 02:22 AM
OP, how far from home do you envision yourself typically being that in a worst case scenario you'd need to cover, and do you make seasonal adjustments to your kit. I'm guessing if you're in the military in NYS you're at Drum, and life there usually consists of various degrees of cold interspersed with black fly season and a few weeks of a relatively cool summer......

Kesephist
05-16-2016, 06:34 PM
Fort Drum -used- to be the Cold Weather Training Center, until they transferred it to Ft. Wainwright in Alaska.

tc556guy
05-17-2016, 12:00 AM
Fort Drum -used- to be the Cold Weather Training Center, until they transferred it to Ft. Wainwright in Alaska.

Drum is still plenty cold for cold weather training
I've shown up on a Thursday night to occupy a range, start shooting on a Friday in the rain and by the time we cleared the range on Sunday we were standing in several inches of snow

brownlostsoul
12-02-2016, 04:39 PM
I'm was wondering what brand is the tarp. I had one for camping before the flood and all my stuff was stolen before I got back to my house. I'm trying to replace items, but I cant find that tarp anywhere.

mitunnelrat
12-14-2016, 06:09 AM
I have one. Its manufactured by Outdoor Products, and I got mine at Walmart.

Kesephist
12-21-2016, 05:23 AM
I have one. Its manufactured by Outdoor Products, and I got mine at Walmart.

The OP blues are standard duty, the silvers are heavy duty, and cost 1.5-2 times as much varying by size. My soon-to-be-late store has them in (feet) 6x8, 8x10, 9x12, 10x20, 16x30 and 24x40. For a GHB I'd say a 9x12 at the largest, preferably removed from its store packing, shaken out, folded to fit, and if at all possible vacuumsealed.

I'd also recommend a 'brick' or two in fiat.

Kesephist fiat "brick"

2x$20
2x$10
6x$5
10x$1

Save for the fact that numerous people regard $2 as unspendable, I would have said 4x$5 and 5x$2.

In the movie BOUND, one of the bad guys is shown ironing fiat between two damp cloths, using a low temp setting iron. A stack of 20 bills new comes out to about a third of an inch thick. Regular handling, about a half inch. A quart Ziploc with all the air pressed out, folded over, and sealed, should do.

Kesephist
12-22-2016, 07:32 AM

http://www.ustbrands.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/cutting-tool-multi-tool-5-in-1-survival-tool1-300x300.jpg

The underside of the compass/cap is a 25c-sized mirror. Doesn't come with matches, if the bleach comes in a small enough container, park it there.

Boots... break them in NOW, as there is no more grievous ache than breaking in new boots out in the boonies. Voice of experience, here.

Spare laces. Make one of them 550-cord-macrame bands everyone's making, but out of each spare lace. I mind some combat boots have a loop on the back of the upper to help pull them on, that's where I would park the spare lace band. That or thread it through the lacing at the very bottom eyelets of each boot, above the tounge but under the lacing itself.

However many pairs extra socks... add another pair.

Buck Bantam or other good locking back/locking blade folding knife. NOT a dam' liner lock. An extra knife is never a bad thing. A sheath with a honing stone in it would be excellent. Honingstone with sparking stone on back would be top flight as long as it didnt add more bulk.

Kesephist

Added image.

realist
12-22-2016, 03:26 PM
My GHB is always changing. I generally have just a small bag which goes with me everywhere. I have seen videos of people who have a GHB that weighs 60 to 70 pounds which is totally unrealistic. I try to keep mine small and portable so there is no reason to leave it behind. I generally am no farther than 5 to 10 miles from home so I am not looking at long term. The farther I go I do add things. My biggest problem is when I fly then so many things change.

One thing I make a differentiation from is what is in my truck and what is in my GHB. The truck is set up for INCH which can be used for resupply. In the truck is a larger backpack should I need it. My GHB is just that short term one day for me. When many people look at a GHB they don’t include a gun or ammo. My GHB since I am looking at short distance has a minimum of four loaded magazines.

For my wife I put together a small Rush 12 pack which includes a small boo boo kit, toiletries, socks, underwear, a light jacket, Bic lighters, knife, cash, phone list, a map of the area and state. Since she does not even care about having a bag I keep it limited.

tc556guy
12-22-2016, 11:33 PM

I'm always concerned with any gear that tries to do too many things.
Any primary compass should be just that..a dedicated full size compass.