PDA

View Full Version : DIY Soil testing kits.

Evolver
08-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Have any of you used this type of soil NPK and PH test kits before?

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSHupNHlg7xCEMIPV-8vfiXxLXu5_BYjs0ecPj8reu6c2MsGOm

I'm in the process of testing our soil and have completed the PH part of the testing. The testing of the PH is a different method that is faster. The results was 7.0 (neutral) which is ok but 6.3-6.5 is a good target for most types of vegetables that we will be growing.

As far as the NPK tests goes... I'm waiting for the 1 part soil to 5 parts water mixture to separate so I can take a clearer water sample to test. The clearer the water is the more accurate the reading is because you compare the color of the sample after you put an additive in. Right now the water sample is dang near black so it's going to take awhile. So far I'm pleased with the color, amount of sand verses silt verses clay and the amount of organic matter thats floating. It's nice and loamy. :)

This year I wanted to send in soil samples to a testing lab to get accurate reading but this growing season is now here and I don't have the time to wait for the results so... It would be good to know if any of you has used these before and if so what you think about them?

Sniper-T
08-27-2012, 03:03 PM
never seen them... interested in hearing the results though.

I can see that as beneficial over time... you can see how your soil is doing after each season.

Taz Baby
08-27-2012, 03:30 PM
I used that same tester this year on or soil and it works great. But this was my first time using it as we are just getting started.