PDA

View Full Version : Bad news today.

ak474u
08-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Got some bad news today, a friend I've known since middle school, SPC Steven Hutton 1-8 CAV, & 1-1 AVN 1st INV. 1994-2003. Took his life on Thurs. Dont know what was going on really, haven't spoken in a while, although lots of my buddies were still close to him, and are pretty upset. I'm sad because I see lots of vets take this route, PLEASE guys and gals, talk to someone, even if it's the wrong someone, and try to find some peace.
He leaves behind 2 daughters, and a very distraught big brother that I'm quite sure would've loved to help, and listen.

bacpacker
08-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Prayer sent to SPC Hutton's family. I'm sure this is devastating to them.

ladyhk13
08-27-2012, 01:33 AM
There is a HUGE problem within the Vet community regarding suicide but very little help. There are signs all over the hospitals that say if you are thinking of suicide or need help to call this 800 number. I had a friend and she was just having a bad night so she called just to talk to someone. She felt better and went to bed. In the middle of the night she heard banging on her door, got out of bed only to find to local Police surrounding her house with weapons drawn, pushed in through her door, asked her if she had any weapons (she had a shotgun which they took), they handcuffed her behind her back (she had to beg to put some decent clothes on since she was in barely nothing) and they hauled her into jail until the next morning until they took her to the VA hospital to the Psych ward against her will STILL HANDCUFFED! She cried and begged all night to find out what she had done wrong and to call her family (she lived alone) and she was ignored. Yeah - there is nothing she can do legally about it, she's already tried.
It's treatment like this that makes so many vets NOT seek help for their mental issues and take a different route. It is horrible, it is unfair, it is disgusting to think that this is how our vets are treated, and this isn't even talking about the ones who come home and are left to live on the streets.
I am so very sorry about your friend. Even though you haven't been in touch with him lately doesn't wipe away all the memories you share from your childhood and it doesn't make it any easier to handle. A life should never have to end this way. My prayers are with you and his family.

Stormfeather
08-27-2012, 05:56 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend. A majority of folks dont understand the toll that a wartime deployment can take on a soldier. Unfortunately, we will hear more and more of this happening in the future. Yes I know all about the VA, and the help they provide, and the ACE cards, and the battle buddy system. None of it will ever work, if a soldier doesnt put it to use. Having the tools available, doesnt mean that a soldier is willing to use them.

The Stig
08-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Im very sorry to hear this AK. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Grumpy Old Man
08-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Prayers sent heavenward for the Hutton family. May the Great Comforter blanket them in His Love.